Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Douglas County
Produced by Liz Lee.

Part 1      Part 3

City of Omaha

Note: Please refer back to the Omaha first page, or to the Chapter Table of Contents for the complete listing.

SECTION 1:  The Early DaysSECTION 2:  More Early Days
SECTION 3:  Omaha in 1870SECTION 4:  Present Day (1882)
SECTION 5:  CrimesSECTION 6:  Fires and Public Works
SECTION 7:  Health, Parks, MailSECTION 8:  The Press in Omaha
SECTION 9:  Press ContinuedSECTION 10:  Religious
SECTION 11:  Religious (cont.)SECTION 12:  Cemetery and Schools
SECTION 13:  Legal and MedicalSECTION 14:  Opera House-Hotels-Business
SECTION 15:  SocietiesSECTION 16:  Societies (Cont.)
SECTION 17:  BusinessSECTION 18:  Manufacturing
SECTION 19:  Manufacturing (cont.)

20 - 46:

   ** Omaha Biographical Sketches **
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |

List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter

City of Omaha 45


RICHARD WILDE, saloon, 1124 Farnam street, Omaha, was born and reared in New York City, where he engaged in the meat industry, which he followed for twenty years. In 1867 he came to Omaha and opened the saloon business, which he has successfully carried on since, in the meantime taking an active part in the development of the trotting stock of Omaha, of which he owns a good sample. He was the first to bring the side-bar spring road wagon here, which has met with such success.

DAVID WILKIE, superintendent of water works, Omaha, Neb. Born in Scotland, he emigrated to Canada in 1848, where engaged in contracting and grading for railroads. Went to Detroit, Mich., in 1870, where he engaged in the asphalt and concrete roofing and paving, his business extending throughout the State. In 1881 he located in Omaha, Neb., and was employed by the Omaha City Water Works to superintend the laying of the water mains, and is an expert in that line. Mr. Wilkie intends to devote his attention to the asphalt and concrete roofing and paving business in this State, and is, without doubt, the best posted man in that business in the State. In 1872 he was married to Miss Erdena Westbrook, of Michigan, born in Warren County in 1832.

WILKINS & EVANS, proprietors of the City Steam Laundry, 211 S. Eleventh street, Omaha. Was established in 1876 by H. L. Wilkins, and conducted by him till the spring of 1881, when he associated with him in the business Mr. John H Evans, since which time they have jointly carried on the business, employing forty-five hands and two delivery wagons. Their engines and boilers are twenty and thirty horse-power respectively. They keep constantly in use two large cylinder washing machines, a centrifugal wringer, starching machines, gas mangles, and all other apparatus required in a first-class laundry. They do work for all the hotels in the city, besides about 400 other customers in the city. H. L. Wilkins, the senior partner in the above firm, was born in London, England, in 1850. He came to America in 1853, with his parents, living during his youth at Toronto, Canada, where he attended the model schools. He came to Omaha in 1867, and was employed by the U. P. R. R. and Missouri River Bridge Company as engineer and steam fitter till 1876, when he opened the City Steam Laundry. John H. Evans, the junior partner in the above firm, was born in Wales in 1848. He came to America with his parents, locating at Racine, Wis., where he and his father carried on a large tannery, employing fifteen hands, besides dealing largely in wool, under the firm name of R. J. Evans & Son. He and his father then went to Kansas and engaged in farming in 1872, remaining there a few years. He then went to Chicago, where he began the laundry business, being employed as bookkeeper and foreman in the Doremus Laundry, holding this position about eighteen months. He then went to St. Louis, remaining there a short time. He came to Omaha in 1879, and in the spring of 1881 was associated in the laundry business with H. L. Wilkins, whose sketch appears here.

HOBART WILLIAMS, of the firm of L. & W., was born in Orleans County, N. Y., February 15, 1840. Engaged in farming until about 1860 and then clerking until 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-first Infantry, New York State Volunteers, as private. Was elected by vote of company Second Lieutenant before leaving camp. Was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company K, same regiment, in 1863. Commissioned Captain of Company D, same regiment in 1864 and brevetted Major for gallantry displayed in the charge on Petersburg in 1865. Returned to Rochester, N. Y., and was mustered out July 1, 1865. Was with the regiment all the time with the exception of three months, during which time he was disabled by wounds received at the Opequon fight in 1864. He entered Bryant & Stratton's Business College in Rochester, N. Y., graduating in 1866. The four following years was engaged as salesman in dry goods, then removed to St. Joseph, Mo., traveled for a short time and then settled in Omaha. Representing a sewing machine house in St. Joseph, and continued in this until he entered form of L. & W.

JACOB WILLIAMS, of the firm of B. F. Troxell & Co., commission merchants, was a resident of Council Bluffs for thirteen years. He is a lawyer by profession. For six years (1873-79) he conducted the Council Bluffs Daily and Weekly Globe. He was born in Jamestown, Grant Co., Wis. He served one year in the army in the Forty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.

REV. JOHN WILLIAMS, Rector of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. Came to Nebraska in June, 1877, located at Omaha and entered upon present duties. Has also charge of parochial school in connection with church. Born in Ireland, June 21, 1835. Came to America in 1851. Graduated at Seabury Divinity School, Faribault, Minn., in 1868. Was ordained in June, 1868, to the diaconate by Bishop Whipple, and ordained to the priesthood by the same bishop in October, 1868. Then had charge of St. Luke's Episcopal Church at Hastings, Minn., up to June 1877. Married at Minneapolis, Minn., October 2, 1878, to Frances Silver, native of Canada; they have two children, John S. and Charles M.

[Portrait of John G. Willis]

JOHN G. WILLIS, commission merchant, Omaha, Neb., and one of the early settlers of Nebraska and Wyoming, was born in Charlton, Saratoga Co., N. Y., October 14, 1840. When fifteen years of age he removed with his father and mother to their Western farm home in Kane County, Ill., near Batavia. Living there until the War of the Rebellion, when he offered his services to his country, at the first shot of Fort Sumter. He enlisted with the New York Zouaves, to fill the first call of President Lincoln, but was taken sick in camp at Springfield, Ill., and could not accompany his regiment to the awful battle of Bull Run. He afterward enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, and was transferred to the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, Col. Beveridge, late Governor of Illinois, commanding regiment, as First or Orderly Sergeant of Company K. Served his country in that regiment until the close of the war and was honorably mustered out of the service an officer of Company K, on December 22, 1865. Returned to Kane County, Ill., where he again turned his attention to farming until 1866, when he started from Omaha with a freighting team of mules for the purpose of freighting between Omaha and Denver. But the iron horse got away with the mules in about a year. He entered Cheyenne with his train in July, 1867, being about the first except the government outfits. He built the first store in Cheyenne and started in general merchandising. But burned up and bursted up in the fire of 1869, and being unable to get any insurance in those new towns, lost everything. His stock invoiced a few weeks before the fire $22,000. After the fire about $800. With money and courage gone, he started for Iowa with his family to settle on a homestead, and remained there until 1873, when the illness of his brother, Richard H. Willis, called him to Omaha to attend to his brother's affairs. He had a great deal to contend with even in his new Iowa home. It was then a new and unsettled country, on the then supposed line of the St. Paul Railroad, with no roads, no bridges, no neighbors. Had you been there you would have seen a young, busted and disgusted merchant, starting all alone from Sioux City, driving two teams of oxen with a load of lumber, going up Perry Creek, determined to build a home for his family, where he could at least feel sure of land enough to live on. But, alas, that place was not free from trouble, for if they did not burn up they blew away. For having just completed a little house there came a hurricane which blew their house all over the prairie, breaking everything in it, and whatever saved the family he does not know, unless it is that guardian angel which must surely be looking after them. As Mr. Willis says, he could relate more hairbreadth escapes than he has time to tell, and after all those troubles he says his family left that prairie home with regret, and it affords him more pleasure than a little to visit that old farm, where there are acres of fruit and forest trees, set by his own hand. Mr. Willis was married to Cecelia J. Beck, of Plattsmouth, Neb., a graduate of Tabor College, Iowa. She was born in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1850. They had six children, Robert H., George B., Cecelia Mary, William H., Gertrude Eliza, and Blanche Ida. George B. died November 21, 1872, Gertrude Eliza, September 8, 1880, both infants. Mr. Willis is a member of Covert Lodge, A., F. & A. M. No. 11, Omaha, Mount Cavalry Commandery No. 1, and one of the charter members of Mount Moriah Lodge of Perfection, also Knight Rose Croix 18° Semper Fidelis Chapter, and Charter member and Treasurer. Gustavus Stevenson, Wise Master. Mr. Willis says it is his intention to spend the balance of his days at Omaha, in his home, Idle Wild Place, where he has lived for the past eight years, and has fitted it up with every convenience, making it one of the most pleasant and home-like residences in the city.

R. A. WILLIS, roadmaster C., St. P., M. & O. R. R. Was born in Kenosha County, Wis., January 4, 1842. He enlisted in Fillmore County, Minn., in 1862, in Company D, Eighth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served until mustered out in 1865, holding at the close of the war a commission as Lieutenant in the regiment. His first railroad experience was in 1866, on the C., M. & St. P. R. R., where he remained a short time, then a few months with the Southern Minnesota Railroad, and in the spring of 1867, became connected with the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad, now one of the branches of the C., St. P., M. & O. R. R., has since continued in the service of the company in various positions on different divisions. Came to Omaha, Neb., June, 1881, and took present position. He was married in Mankato, Minn., November 14, 1870, to Miss K. Williams of Mankato. They have four children; Katie H., Edna J., Thomas R., and G. G. Mr. W. is a member of the A., F. & A. M.

[Portrait of R. H. Willis]

RICHARD H. WILLIS, deceased, was born in Charlton, Saratoga Co., N. Y., in 1837. At eighteen years of age he started to learn the carriage trade with Mr. Banker, of Jonesville, same county and State, by whom he was thought a great deal of, having received many tokens of regard from him. At twenty-two years of age he came west to Batavia, Kane Co., Ill., with his parents, where he worked a while on the farm. He then went to work at his trade in Batavia, but feeling that he could do better at something else, and being naturally a very enterprising and ambitious young man, he launched out at merchandising, at Urbana, Ill., and being a very generous, courteous, energetic and conscientious and honest man (the qualifications necessary to make a good business many), he was quite successful, and sought a larger city for business, and went to Joliet, Ill., where he was fully as successful, and at this place he became acquainted with his wife Mira Towner, daughter of William Towner, one of the leading citizens of Joliet. Shortly after his marriage he came to Omaha, leaving his wife with her father until he could establish himself here, having met with reverses in business through speculations on the Chicago Board of Trade. He arrived in Omaha with $600, in 1864, and again started in the general merchandise business, and having left a clean record at all previous places, his credit was good, and together with his great natural abilities, and practical experience he soon became one of Omaha's prominent men and merchants. In 1868 he erected one of the finest store buildings in the city at that time, situated on Fourteenth street, between Farnam and Douglas streets, on the West Side. He was very proud of his building, but his pride was soon to be blasted for ever. In January, 1868, his business called him on a trip West, as much as he disliked leaving his estimable young wife. However, leaving her in the best of health he started for Cheyenne, where his brother John G. Willis was engaged in general merchandising, and they together started to visit Edward Creighton and Thomas Maloy's railroad camp, both being very thoroughly acquainted with these gentlemen, especially with Mr. Maloy. But on their return to Cheyenne, Mr. Willis received a telegram that his wife was seriously ill, and here is the turning point in his heretofore happy life. He started on the first train for Omaha, and he related to the writer afterwards "I felt as if that train did not go a mile an hour, so anxious was I to get to the bedside of my sick wife." and say he "when I received the second dispatch, 'Mrs. Willis is worse,' how I felt, and the third dispatch, 'could I only fly.' Arriving in Omaha I jumped from the train while it was running at nearly full speed, and to my house, only to find my wife had died but five minutes before I arrived." Mr. Jonas Gise afterwards told the writer that he was at Mr. Willis' house when he came in, and the appearance of his friends seemed to tell him the sad tale. Mr. Willis fell lifeless to the floor, and says Mr. Gise and Dr. McClelland, "Dick Willis (as he was familiarly called) never was the same man," and it is my earnest conviction that he never recovered from the shock, for when he came to my farm he would say "life has lost its charms for me." Business did not seem to interest him any more. He traveled for a year, getting more and more indifferent, and finally in 1872 he gave up and became a hopeless monomaniac. He went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, but found no relief, from there to St. Louis, and consulted with Dr. Moore, the most noted physician in the city, at that time. The doctor was puzzled and called a consultation of forty physicians, who came to the conclusion that he had symptoms of softening of the brain. After staying there four or five weeks, Dr. Moore concluded he could do nothing for him and advised him to go to Dr. William H. Hammond of New York, and he started for New York. Dr. Hammond examined him and said he could cure him in ten days, as there was nothing the matter bur nervousness. Mr. Willis remained there two or three weeks and said he was getting worse, and started for Charlton, Saratoga Co., N. Y., his childhood home, to his parents. Shortly after his friends went with him to Utica and the physician at the asylum said he could see nothing the matter with him either mentally or physically, except hypochondria, and advised him to seek amusements. He went back to Charlton, and nothing could persuade him to go to Omaha. His friends at Omaha wrote him. Dr. McClelland kindly offered to go after him. His parents tried to persuade him, his brother wrote him, but his answer was no, I can not be any company for my friends, life has lost its charms. I shall never leave Charlton alive. He wrote his brother John G. Willis, at his farm and said John, if you have any wish for my business, go to Omaha and take it. He would say "I will go to Mira (his wife) soon." He lingered along about two years, sometimes remaining in his room months at a time quite social, glad to see his relatives, but with no desire to see his old friends. About April 15, 1874, his brother John received a telegram from him stating that his mother was dangerously ill, come on first train. On arriving there he found his mother better and Richard looking quite well, except slightly emaciated, and after the usual greeting he says "John, mother is all right but I will die in ten days, his brother laughed at the idea, and asked him if he intended to kill himself. He answered emphatically, "No sir, I never will commit that sin, but I can not live this way over ten days." John remained a few days and Richard became worse, actually refusing to take his two eggs he had been accustomed to take for months past and it began to look as if he was surely trying to fulfill his word to die in ten days, knowing that John should be with his family who were also sick in Omaha. It was thought best for him to keep out of sight and see if he would not change his mind, and take to eating. But no, all the persuasion they could command would not induce him to eat, he said, he had no appetite, and could not relish anything. He kept getting worse and finally when he lay on his death bed, and as all supposed unconscious, John got his wife's picture, opened it and held it up before him to see if he would recognize it, knowing well that would attract his attention if anything could. He stared a moment, reached out his hand, took the picture and died a few moments after. He died on the 6th day of May, 1874, in the house he was born in, and at his request was laid by the side of his dear wife, at Joliet, Ill., where hosts of kind and sympathizing friends met the remains and escorted them to their last resting place. Thus ended the short earthly career of Richard H. Willis, a noble man and one of the early founders of Omaha. Always ready to give generously to all public enterprises and charitable purposes.

Notation.-The writer being with Mr. Willis during a great part of the first year of his illness, and all the time for fifteen or twenty days and nights at the last, writes only the condensed facts. He does not think he ate anything to speak of during that fifteen days. Seemed perfectly sane on all subjects, except as to his illness, which seemed to me, as well as to the physicians, all imagination. His memory was surprisingly good, as to all his business transactions, even the smallest things which occurred years previous, and it would seem to me that if he would accept nourishment, and could have been persuaded to take exercise and amusement, he would have lived a number of years. He occupied his time by reading and walking to and fro in his room, talking to his wife's portrait as if she were a living person and telling her he would be with her in a few days, and his people tried to prevail on him to allow his body to be laid in the old family burial ground. But nothing would induce him to consider it for a moment as his only consolation was to be laid by the side of his wife in Joliet, Ill., and for that reason, perhaps, more than any other, did he send for his brother John, feeling sure that he would see his last request carried out. Even requesting him to go and get his coffin so that he could see if it suited him, and went so far as to take off his underclothes and get his burial garments all ready, and really felt hard toward him for not getting the coffin for him. He could not be persuaded to take any kind of stimulant during all the years of his illness, though the physicians often recommended it.

H. F. WILLRODT, United Stated Government Gauger, Willow Springs Distillery, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, January 25, 1842. Came to the United States in 1868. Stopped for a time in Davenport, Iowa, and in 1869 settled in Omaha, Neb., and opened a German school for about two years, then went to Des Moines, Iowa, and kept a private school. Returned to Omaha two years later, and engaged in the book store of J. I. Fruehauf. Was appointed to present position November, 1880. Mr. W. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Concordia Society, and of the "Turn Verein." Is President of the latter.

IRA WILSON, proprietor of the Metropolitan Hotel, which contains fifty rooms, and can accommodate sixty guests. Erected in the winter of 1868. He located in Omaha in August, 1877, and first opened a retail and jobbing carpet house, followed the business one year, sold out and has been in the hotel business since. He does an average of $3,500 monthly. He was born in Norwalk, Ohio, May 7, 1822. He was married in the latter place in Ohio, to Miss Marion Cooley. She was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y. They have three children--named Mary E., Frank M., and Carrie B. Mr. W. previously settled in Belvidere, Ill., in 1848, and sold dry goods there twenty-three years. Afterwards went to Chicago, and was in the employ of the Palmer House, after which he went to Omaha.

JOHN WILSON, foreman in G. F. Sheeley & Co.'s packing house. There are twelve men working under the supervision of Mr. W. The house has a capacity of packing 300 hogs per week. Mr. W. first located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and worked in same business three years, then came to Omaha , and worked in Mr. Boyd's packing house about six months, after which he engage with his present employers. He was born in Buffalo, N. Y., May 6, 1845. He enlisted in Company D, Thirty-fifth Regiment New Jersey Volunteer Infantry. Served six months under Gen. Sherman, and was honorably discharged at Alexandria, Va., at the close of the war.

FREDERICK WIRTH, proprietor of City Hotel, which contains twenty rooms, and accommodates seventy guests. Employs ten hands. He erected the hotel in the fall of 1880. He first located in Omaha in 1869, and kept a barber ship for about two years, then went into the Tivoli Garden, and from there into the Grand Central Hotel, which he kept about eighteen months. Afterwards kept the Omaha House five years, then went into the present hotel. He was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1826. He emigrated to America in 1853. Was married in Clinton, Iowa, in 1857, to Miss Mina Kracht. She was born in Germany. They have one daughter--named Clara Wirth. Mr. Wirth was in Vienna in 1848, during the revolution, and was then in 1849-50 in the Schleswig-Holstein war, and was in the siege of the Auppler Schanzen. He enlisted in 1861 in the Second Missouri Volunteer Infantry, as hospital stewart. Served until in 1862, making about nine months' service. He was then a Delegate to the State Convention, held in Fremont, Neb., in 1876. He is a member of the Mænnerchor Society, and also the Turner Society.

JOHN WITHNELL, of Withnell Bros. manufacturers of brick, and contractors and builders; born in England, in 1827; came to America in 1841; learned trade of bricklayer at St. Louis, Mo., and was employed at it in different parts of Missouri, up to 1854, when he came to Nebraska; located at Omaha; was employed as bricklayer about eighteen months; built the first brick house in Omaha; commenced the manufacture of brick in 1859, in company with his brother, R. N. Withnell, and they have continued it since. Run four kilns; manufacture about 8,000,000 brick per annum; employ in brickyard, some seventy-five men. The yard covers sixty-one and one half acres of land. Have also been engaged in contracting for buildings; worked some twenty-six years in that department; they employ fifty men; built most of the prominent business buildings in the city. John Withnell built, in 1868, the Government Headquarters; the same building is owned by him, and is known as the "Withnell House." He was married at St. Louis, Mo., in 1852, to Mary A. Comer, native of England. They have eight children--Eliza A., Libbie, Cora, Charles, Blanche, Allie, John, and Frank.

RICHARD N. WITHNELL, of Withnell Bros., brick manufacturers, contractor and builders; born in England in 1840; came to America in 1841; learned trade of mason and bricklayer in Kansas City, and St. Joe Mo., came to Nebraska in 1865; located in Omaha; commenced contracting and building business, in company with his brother, John Withnell; and the brick manufactory was commenced in 1859. Both the businesses they have carried on without interruption; employ some fifty men in building department, and seventy-five in brickyard. Married in Bellevue, Neb., in 1860, to Alwilda E. Boegel, native of Ohio. They have one daughter--Grace E.

BEN B. WOOD, cashier of the State Bank, was born in Cayuta, then Tompkins County (now Schuyler County), N. Y., May 15, 1843. Was reared in the banking house of Charles Cook, of Havana, N. Y., and from there he came to Nebraska and located in Omaha in January, 1868. Has been engaged in the banking business ever since he came here, and June 1, 1870, was elected cashier of the State Bank, which position he still holds.

EDWARD B. WOOD, passenger conductor of the U. P. R. R. Co., was born in Stockbridge, 1834. At sixteen years of age he entered the employ of the N. Y. & E. R. R. Co., as fireman, and was employed in that capacity four years, then as a locomotive engineer until he came to Nebraska. April 8, 1866, he located in Omaha, and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., as engineer of passenger train; was engaged in that capacity thirteen years. Was then appointed conductor of passenger train, which position he has since occupied. He was married at Genesee County, N. Y., in 1855, to Helen Parminter, a native of England. They have four children, Minnie J., Nellie, Fannie and Hubert J.

GEN. JOHN S. WOOD, Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms for the State House of Representatives, also notary public; was born in Carlisle, Pa., May 4, 1842. Mr. Wood enlisted in June, 1856, in the U. S. Cavalry Recruits. Went to New Mexico and Utah, Texas, Arizona and Kansas, where he served. He was engaged in the Indian battle, Rabbit Ear, N. M., December 25, 1860. Was transferred to the U. S. Volunteers August 19, 1861, by order of the Secretary of War, and assigned to duty as First Lieutenant of Company I, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was then attached to the Army of the Potomac; and from there was transferred to Louisville, Ky., in the Department of the Ohio, and continued service through Kentucky; being engaged in the advance on Nashville, Tenn.; was assigned to Nelson's Brigade, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he received his first wound in the Rebellion, May 4--that also being his birthday. He participated in the battles of Lebanon, Tenn., and was severely wounded in the head, with seventeen buckshot in the body. He still carries one of the shots in his body. His horse was shot from under him also in the latter battle. He was placed in the hospital, and during his convalescence in camp he served as Aid-de-Camp to Gen. W. W. Duffield, until July, 1862, when he again entered active service; and engaged in the battle of Gallatin, Tenn., August, 1862; Lavergne, Tenn., October 7, 1862; having there command of Tennessee troops. He was wounded in the right hip, and had his horse killed under him at Stone River, Tenn., January 1, 1863. In the latter engagement he had a Major's command of Tennessee troops. He was also in pursuit of Van Dorn, under Gen. Sheridan, pursuing from Spring Hill to Duck River, in March, 1863. He was wounded at Franklin, Tenn, April 21, 1863, under Col. Minty. Also participated in the engagement at Hoover's Gap, Tenn., June 2, 1863, when his horse was again killed. He was then off duty, but with his command, on account of heat affecting the wound in his head. He again participated in the battle of Chickamauga, September 19, 20 and 21, 1863, being with his regiment. In the above action he was wounded in the right knee, captured, and taken prisoner, and was confined in Belle Island for some time, then removed to Salisbury, and from thence to Andersonville, from which he was exchanged April 20, 1854. He then returned home on a furlough, being absent when his regiment was mustered out; he therefore by act of Congress March 3, 1877, received an honorable discharge from the army, which he richly merited. The signing of the above act was the last official act of Gen. U. S. Grant. Mr. W. was virtually raised in the regular army. His father, John S. Wood, Sr., was an old army officer, and on the paternal side for many generation back his people were distinguished for their military ability and bravery. He located in Omaha in October 3, 1867, where he has since made his home. He has been connected with the headquarters of the Army of the Platte up to January 1, 1879. Assisted in organizing the Grand Army of the Republic in Nebraska. He served one year as Chief Mustering officer in the Department of Nebraska, G. A. R., and was two years Assistant Adjutant General of the above department, and during the year 1881 was Aid-de-Camp to the Commander-in-Chief. He was married in Oswego, Ill., in April, 1869, to Rosa U. Mitchell, who was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1847. They have three daughters and one son--Henrietta E., Catharine M., Charles Edward Terrell, and Emma Jane Willard. Mr. Wood and family are members of the Episcopal Church corner of Nineteenth and California streets.

[Portrait of O. S. Wood, M. D.]

O. S. WOOD, M. D. Homeopathic physician and surgeon, came to Omaha in June, 1868, and has since been engaged in practice, He was born at Binghamton, Broome Co., N. Y., January 27, 1832, and lived there until four years old. His parents then moved to Berrien Springs, Mich., where he stayed until his ninth year. His father having died the year previous, going thence to Montrose, Pa., where after a short stay, he went to an uncle in South Auburn, Susquehanna County, engaged in farming until he was sixteen years old. Afterwards served a three years' apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade. He attended the university at Lewisburg five years, and afterwards clerked at West Chester, Pa. In 1858 he attended his first course of medical lectures at Philadelphia, at the homeopathic Medical College, graduating March 1, 1860. He began practice at Phoenixville, Pa., staying until graduating March 1, 1860. He began practice at Phoenixville, Pa., staying until April, 1861, when he removed to Canandaigua, purchasing the practice of R. R. Gregg, M. D., now of Buffalo. He stayed there until 1866. In March, 1868, he received his diploma from the Hahnemann College at Philadelphia. He married at Lewisburg, Pa., June 7, 1868. His wife was Mary L. Miller, a native of Lewisburg. They have four children, Charles Hallock, Orlando Scott Jr., John Miller and Norma Estella. The Doctor is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy and of the Northwestern Homeopathic Medical Association, and Northwestern Academy of Medicine. He is also a member of the Nebraska Homeopathic Medical Association.

Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

Chapter Contents      Part 1      Part 3

County Index