Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Douglas County
Produced by Liz Lee.

Part 1      Part 3

City of Omaha

Note: Please refer back to the Omaha first page, or to the Chapter Table of Contents for the complete listing.

SECTION 1:  The Early DaysSECTION 2:  More Early Days
SECTION 3:  Omaha in 1870SECTION 4:  Present Day (1882)
SECTION 5:  CrimesSECTION 6:  Fires and Public Works
SECTION 7:  Health, Parks, MailSECTION 8:  The Press in Omaha
SECTION 9:  Press ContinuedSECTION 10:  Religious
SECTION 11:  Religious (cont.)SECTION 12:  Cemetery and Schools
SECTION 13:  Legal and MedicalSECTION 14:  Opera House-Hotels-Business
SECTION 15:  SocietiesSECTION 16:  Societies (Cont.)
SECTION 17:  BusinessSECTION 18:  Manufacturing
SECTION 19:  Manufacturing (cont.)

20 - 46:

   ** Omaha Biographical Sketches **
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |

List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter

City of Omaha 31


G. W. HOLDREDGE, general superintendent of the Burlington & Missouri River R. R. Was born in New York City, March 26, 1847. Received a common school education in New York City; entered Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass., and graduated from there in the class of 1869. After leaving college the same year came to Omaha and immediately became connected with the B. & M. R. R., first as a clerk in the treasurer's department, then in the train service of the C., B. & Q. R. R., in Iowa for several years, then master of transportation, then assistant general superintendent, and in 1879 was made general superintendent of that road, his present position.

G. W. HOMAN came to Omaha April 26, 1856, and has engaged in the livery business ever since. The business at that time was more profitable than now. He kept about twelve horses at the start, his first stable being on the site still occupied by him. They now keep from thirty-five to forty livery horses, with facilities for taking care of 100 head. Mr. Homan was for two terms Councilman from the Second Ward. He has resided on the same spot ever since he came to Omaha. He was born at Wading River, L I., April 24, 1807, and lived on Long Island until his ninth year. He then moved to Orange County, N. Y. When sixteen years old he went into a wholesale grocery house as clerk. He started a line of omnibuses on Blacker street and Broadway, New York City, beginning with two and running up to twenty 'busses, and his line was known as the "Waverly." After farming on Long Island for five years, he returned to New York and started the "Red Bird" line of stages. He is the oldest 'bus man in the country. He was married in New York City in 1827 to Amy Coles, a native of Terrytown, N. Y. She died at Omaha. They had six children, Fannie, Maria, now Mrs. David Beffert, of Northport, L. I.; Eliza Jane, now Mrs. David Loring, of Omaha; George W., jr., of Chicago; Emma R., now Mrs. Elmer A. Thayer, of Chicago; Josephine, now Mrs. Charles F. Catlin, of Chicago; Henry A., of Omaha. They lost three children. His present wife was Carrie Wilde, of Newark, N. J. Mr. Homan is a member of the A., F. & A. M.

THOMAS E. HOLLEY, superintendent of Hanscom Park, Omaha. Was born in Ireland in 1842; was nineteen years of age when he came to America; settled first in Massachusetts, and from there went to York State, remaining two years. Then to the Mississippi River, where he was engaged in different enterprises until 1878, and when he settled in Omaha, Neb., taking charge of the Park soon after; was married in 1873 to Josephine Honkey, of Omaha. They have three children, Bridget, Ellen and Nicholas.

D. B. HOOVER, engineer in Omaha Planing Mills. He first located in Seward City, Neb., in 1872 and worked in a saw mill for a few months, also worked as engineer in same mill, which was soon afterward moved to West Blue River, where he worked as engineer fifteen months, after which he went to Fillmore County and took a land claim, farmed about three years. He went to Omaha soon afterwards and worked in a machine shop a short time, then engaged in the smelting and refining works, running a smelter several months. He then returned to his farm in Fillmore County and remained one year, returned to Omaha and worked for an ice company, and since then has followed various occupations. It is but fair to say of Mr. H. that he is a good engineer. He was born in Blair County, Pa., September 2, 1852. Was married in Fillmore County, Neb., to Miss Amanda Lite, who was born in Blair County, Pa. They have two children named Harry L., and Ida M. Mr. H. followed firing on Pennsylvania Central R. R. a number of months previous to going west, and followed engineering fifteen months in the latter State.

JOHN A. HORBACH came to Nebraska in April, 1856, and located at Omaha, where he has since resided. In 1856 and 1857 he was clerk in the office of Col. Gillmore, receiver of the U. S. Land Office for the Territory of Nebraska, then located at Omaha. In 1858 he opened a steamboat agency for a line of Missouri River boats between St. Louis and Omaha, and engaged in the forwarding and commission business, adding to it the lumber trade in 1861 and continuing until 1867; then closing out and engaging in the agricultural implement trade until 1874. In November, 1869, he organized the Omaha & Northwestern Railroad Company, and with his associates, composed of citizens of Omaha, conducted the road to Tekamah, in Burt County. In 1878 the road passed into the hands of the Omaha & Northern Nebraska Railway Co., and through his efforts was extended to the Logan Valley in 1879 and consolidated with the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad in 1880. From 1871 to 1881 he gave his attention largely to railroad interests. He is now handling his own real estate, having laid out several additions to the city of Omaha in 1866 and 1868. He is still interested in railroads; is director in the State Bank of Nebraska, and one of the original stockholders in the nail works. He was Alderman one term. Mr. H. was born near Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., Pa., November, 1831. He went to Pittsburgh in 1850. From 1850 to 1856 he was connected with the Ohio & Pennsylvania R. R. in its construction and operation.

J. E. HOUSE, chief engineer of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, of Kansas and Nebraska, is a native of Oneida County, N. Y., born January 1, 1832. Since 1852, has been engaged in civil engineering, part of the time on the survey, and construction of the old Mississippi & Missouri Railroad, now the C., R. I. & P. Railroad. In 1863 came to Omaha, and was engaged upon the U. P. Railroad, until its completion. In 1869 was made chief engineer of Omaha & N. W. Railroad, and built sixty miles of road. In June, 1881, was appointed to his present position. He married Miss Annie B. Thompson, of Oneida County, N. Y., in 1860. Now deceased. And married again in 1877 to Mrs. Mollie F. Hannahs, of Oneida County N. Y.--these ladies being sisters.

CHARLES C. HOUSEL located at Omaha, in September, 1868, and conducted a large commission business, and steamboat agency, until July, 1878, and was engaged in real estate operations extensively most of the time. He is a member of the firm of H. W. Cremer & Co., manufacturers, agents and dealers in railway supplies, car fixtures, etc. etc. He was appointed Government Director for the U. P. Railroad in 1878, by President R. B. Hayes, and held the position for three years, till July, 1881. Since then has dealt largely in real estate, and building many substantial buildings in Omaha. He was born in Winchester, Preble Co., Ohio, July 30, 1829, and lived there till 1850, when he was married to Maria J. Phelps, a native of the same place, and removed to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he remained until 1861. He then enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Cavalry, as a private, and was detailed as a musician in the regimental band, serving until July, 1862, when the Secretary of War ordered all regimental bands mustered out of the service. After that, he remained with the army as a civilian, until 1863, then returned to Iowa, and remained until 1864, when he went to Montana Territory, where he engaged in mining, trading, merchandising and carrying mails from Virginia City to outside mining camps. Mr. Housel is a member of the I. O. O. F. and was a Grand Representative from Nebraska to the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the United States for two years.

G. E. HOWARD, locomotive engineer, U. P. Railroad, was born in Marion County, Ill., January 20, 1858. Came to Nebraska with parents in 1871, and located at Grand Island. In 1872 he came to Omaha, and learned machinists' trade in the U. P. Railroad shops, where he remained until July, 1876, then went to Wyoming Territory, on one of the western branches of the U. P. Railroad. Has had charge of an engine since 1878. Mr. H. is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.

SAMUEL J. HOWELL, insurance agent, came to Nebraska in 1869, and located in Cass County, where he established a Canadian colony, and founded the town of Victoria. He resided there until he came to Omaha in 1875, engaging in farming and land surveying. Since moving to Omaha, he has been in the insurance and real estate business. He was born at Montreal, Canada, December 20, 1835, and lived in Canada until he came to Nebraska. In 1869, in connection with the late George S. Harris, he organized the "English Colony," composed of about twenty families of Canadians. Mr. Howell is also now engaged in farming, and lives on his farm, which adjoins the southwest corner of the city. He was married on the Ottawa, near Montreal, in 1859, to Anna Everett, a native of that province. They have six children: Edward E., Lulu, Emma, Carrie, Harold, and Alice. Mr. H. is a member of the A. F. & A. M.

D. D. HOXSIE, clerk of U. P. Railroad, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., September 3, 1835. At the age of fifteen came to Lewiston, Niagara Co., N. Y., and worked with his father at the trade of blacksmithing. He then went to Jackson Mich., and engaged in butchering, and was also while there a clerk in the Rathborn House, now Hibbard House. From there he went to McGregor, Iowa, and clerked in the store of Simpson & Hoxsie. In 1861 he came to Chicago and took charge of what was then known as the Stewart House, on the corner of State and Washington streets, for two years. He then returned to McGregor, Iowa, and remained there until 1876, during which time he held the office of Constable, then Marshal, and appointed Deputy Sheriff of Clayton County for two terms, during which period he sold at sheriff's sale, the old McGregor & Western Railroad, now the C., M. & St. P. Railroad, for $75. In 1876 he went to British America, trade at Ft. Garry, now Winnipeg, and with the Indians on St. Peter's Reservation. While in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in company of American Consul James R. Taylor, many a happy hour was enjoyed, especially in gathering and feasting on the mushrooms, which in that country are so very delicious. Mr. Hoxsie also accepted the kind hospitalities of Chief Prince, of St. Peter's Reservation, while 8,000 of his Indian people were congregated to receive an eloquent discourse presented by interpreters from Rev. Bishop Whipple, of Minnesota. Then returned to Iowa, and in 1877 went to Texas, and was proprietor of the Battel House at Ft. Worth for eighteen months. He then returned to Iowa, and in 1879 came to Omaha, and was engaged in the store-room of the car and building department of the U. P. Railroad Company, and on April 1, 1879 was made clerk of the lumber yard. Is a member of the Capital Lodge, A., F. & A. M., of Omaha, and formerly of Beger Lodge, No. 135, of McGregor, Iowa. Married Miss Vieda I. Kellogg, of Winslow, Illinois, in 1859. They have two children, Charles, now telegraph operator and clerk in superintendent's office of the car and building department of the U. P. Railroad Company, before which time he was telegraph operator for the C., M. & St. P. Railroad, at Sanborn, in the Iowa and Dakota division, then operator at Spencer, Iowa, also at McGregor, Iowa, on the C., D. & M. Railroad, then at Hamburg, on the Kansas City, St. Joe & Council Bluffs Railroad, and another son, Harry.

JOHN HOYE, brick manufacture and contractor, 1222 S. Thirteenth street, was born in England, 1833, came to this country 1865, and settled in Omaha, when he took up his business, which he has been successfully identified with since. In 1854, he was married to Miss Amelia Birch, in England, she was born 1837. They have a family of eight daughters and five sons. They are John, Alice, George, Henrietta, Elizabeth, Amelia, Charles, Fred, Mildred, Richard, Sarah Jane, Letitia and Emily.

GEORGE E. HUBBARD, carpenter, Union Pacific Railroad Company, was born in Poland, Ohio, in October, 1837. Before locating here was connected with the Ft. Wayne car shops for about two and a half years, came here in October, 1866, and engaged with the Union Pacific Railway Company as builder of sash and blinds for railway coaches; had been in that business for the last fifteen years, was in the First Regiment Ohio Artillery, under Col. Bartlett and Lieut. Col. Heywood, of Cleveland, Ohio, and engaged in the battles of Winchester and Port Republic and several skirmishes. Discharged in 1865. Was married September 1881, to Annie Loveday who was born near St. Joe, Mo., Been an Odd Fellow for eleven years, also member of Ancient Order of Workmen for two years.

MRS. C. M. HURLBUT, widow of the late E. B. Hurlbut, was born in Ohio, 1831 In 1856 she came here with her people who settled here, an where she has been identified since; her maiden name was Miss Cordelia M. Munger. In 1857 she was married to Mr. E. B. Hurlbut who was born in Vermont, 1830, and who came here in 1854, and identified himself as a pioneer man and brother of the Congregational Church, whose pulpit he filled for ten years. In 1878 he passed from this earthy life and is buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, leaving a family of one son and three daughters to survive him. The family are William, Sadie M., Addie W. And Lila.

HARRY W. HYDE, M. D. physician and surgeon, come to Omaha in July, 1879, and has practiced here since. He was born in Gardiner, Me. January 22, 1853, after his third year he lived in Chautauqua County, N. Y. He was educated at Detroit, Mich., and graduated at the Medical College there. He practiced one year at Bradford, Pa., before coming to Omaha. Dr. Hyde was married at Sherman, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., September 1, 1881, to Miss Nannie E. Plato, a native of that county. The Doctor is a member of the Omaha Medical Society and of the Order of the Chosen Friends.

J. R. HYDE, Justice of the Peace and real estate dealer, was born in Panton, Addison Co., Vt., April 17, 1818. In September, 1840, he removed to Lenawee County, Mich. In July, 1856, he removed to Nebraska and located at Tekamah in Burt County. He was there engaged in the practice of law. Held the office of County clerk four years and was a member of the Legislature from Burt Co., in 1860 and '61. In 1861 he returned to Michigan and assisted in organizing the Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, the Ninth Michigan Cavalry and Thompson's Battery. He came to Omaha in 1867 and has since dealt principally in real estate, soon after locating here he was appointed County Judge to fill a vacancy. Was elected Justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy in 1880 and re-elected in 1881, is a member of the A., F. & A. M.; was married at Medina, Mich., to Caroline De Motte. She was born in Seneca County. N. Y., in May 1818.

MORTIMER D. HYDE, son of J. R. Hyde, is a lawyer by profession, and was born in Hudson, Lenawee Co., Mich., October 17, 1855. He came to Nebraska in July, 1856, and located at Tekamah, Burt Co., attended Lincoln University and Cornell College at Mount Vernon, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar April 13, 1878, commencing practice in Omaha in the following year.


ADOLPH B. HUBERMAN, jeweler, came to Omaha in the summer of 1868, and has ever since been engaged in his present business. He does principally a wholesale trade and carries a stock of from $40,000 to $50,000. He employs twenty men and sells through Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Kansas and Colorado. He does an extensive retail business. He was born in Hanover, Prussia, in 1846 and came to this country in 1868. He was married in Europe to Isabella L. Gaines in 1878. She is a native of New Orleans and was educated in the Black Forest, Germany, where they were married. They have two children, Henry C. and Adolph. Mr. Huberman is an A., F. & A. M. and Knight of Pythias. In 1880 his house used $20,000 worth of gold dust in the manufacture of jewelry. Since the above information was furnished Mr. Huberman has increased his business facilities full 25 per cent.

PETER E. ILER, distiller, was born at Wooster, Ohio, February 10, 1840, and lived there until eight years of age. He moved to Tiffin, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Omaha in 1866. He was in the liquor and distillery business in Tiffin up to 1867, when he sold out and permanently located at Omaha. He was married at Tiffin to Mary A. Denzer, a native of that place. They have four children--William E., May, Edith and Bessie. One son, Augustus K., died in infancy. He has been an A., F. & A. M. for several years. Mr. Iler is president of the Manufacturer's and Merchant's Union and a member of the National Distillers' Association, being an officer and director therein. The firm of Iler & Co. is now composed of Peter E. Iler and Joseph D. Iler.

JOSEPH D. ILER, secretary of the Willow Springs Distillery Company and a member of the firm of Iler & Co., was born at Wooster, Ohio. He lived at that place and at Tiffin, Ohio, until 1867, since which year he has been a resident of Omaha. He was married at Omaha in 1880 to Miss Georgie M. Gray, a native of New York. Mr. Iler is one of the owners of the well known Cozzens House at Omaha, which was built by George Francis Train.

REV. JAMES W. INGRAM, Pastor of the First Christian Church. Was born in Unionville, Union Co., Ohio, on August 31, 1838. Was educated at a select school in Fairview, Iowa and spent a portion of his early life in teaching. In August, 1863, he entered the Christian ministry. The first four years of his service in the Christian ministry were spent in Jones County, Iowa, where he had charge of two Christian Churches. He has had charge of Christian Churches at the following places in Ohio: One year at Geneva, eighteen months at Sharon, three years at Painsville and eighteen months at Canton; afterwards was for three and one half years at Sheldonville, Ky. Came to Nebraska in October, 1878, located at Omaha and entered upon his present duties. He has built up a large and prosperous church.

H. T. IRVINE, manager and leader of Irvine's Orchestra and Brass Band, 1516 Dodge street, Omaha. Mr. Irvine is a native of Illinois, where he was reared and educated. In 1870 and at the age of ten years he took up the study of music and has followed the practice successfully since. In 1875 he came here, and subsequently organized the present band of twelve musicians.

JAMES K. ISH, of McMahon, Abert & Co., wholesale druggists, began the drug business at Omaha in 1856, being one of the earliest druggists in the city. He conducted the business alone until July, 1880, when Lawrence McMahon became associated with him in the firm, under the title of Ish & McMahon. The wholesale business has been largely increased since Mr. McMahon's connection with the establishment. The firm of Ish & McMahon existed until February 1, 1882. Dr. Ish died August 8, 1881, but the name was unchanged until the date named, when the firm became McMahon, Abert & Co. was formed, being composed of Lawrence McMahon and Charles E. Abert. Since March, 1881, they have done an exclusive wholesale business, though it was originally all retail. They are now doing a business of about $150,000, employing eleven men in the various departments of the concern. Their sales are principally in Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Iowa.

MARTIN ITTNER, of the firm of Ittner Bros., brick manufacturers and contractors. He is a native of Lebanon, Warren Co., Ohio. In November, 1844, he came to Missouri and was engaged in the manufacture of brick in St. Louis about twenty years. In 1878 he came to Omaha and joined his brother Benjamin in the business, he having come here in 1868, but is now deceased. They employ about forty men at this yard, and manufacture from 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 of brick per year. Was married in 1860 to Miss Martha E. Moeller, of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, They have five children--Henry, John, Walter N., Arthur and Mary F. His brother Benjamin served three years and three months in the Eighty-seventh Missouri Infantry during the late war.

NICHOLAS ITTNER, of the firm of Ittner Bros., brick manufacturers and contractors, is a native of St. Louis, Mo., where he was brought up to this business and was admitted as a partner in 1873. They continued this business in St. Louis till 1879, when he removed to Omaha. They are now carrying on a very extensive business here, in their building department they employ about forty hands. Mr. Ittner is a member of the Knights of Honor. Was married in the fall of 1877, to Miss Mattie J. Miller, of Richmond, Ind., whose parents were among the earliest settlers of Wayne County, Ind.

S. K. JACKSON, foreman of the passenger car works of the Union Pacific Railroad, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., January 8, 1841. Served an apprenticeship to a house carpenter for three years in Malone, Franklin Co., N. Y. He then went to Chicopee, Mass., working at his trade for one year, and in 1861 enlisted in Company F, Tenth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, serving three years in the Army of the Potomac and was mustered out in Washington in June, 1864, then returned to Springfield and worked for Wasson & Co. in their large contract shops one year. In 1865 he worked in the car building department of the L. S. R. R. at Cleveland up to 1867, when he came to Omaha and became connected with the car works of the U. P. R. R. and helped build the first passenger car for the road, at that time there being only two men and himself finishing the interior of the cars, that department now working nearly 100 hands. In 1868 he was made foreman of his present position. He is a member of Capital Lodge No. 3, A. F. & A. M. and Past Master of same. He is also a member of Omaha Lodge No. 2, I. O. O. F. and is at present a member of the Legislature of Nebraska. He married Miss Jennie L. Moody, of South Hadley, Mass., in January 1867.

WALTER S. JARDINE, proprietor of Jardine's Express, office Union Pacific Depot, residence 112 N. Tenth street, Omaha. He was born September 21, 1857, in Bucks County, Penn. In the spring of 1868 he came with his parents to Omaha where he attended the high school, standing among the foremost of his class until 1872 when he engaged in his present business, having one team. Since 1876 his business has rapidly increased. He now has six teams employing six hands and during the fall and spring seasons he employs nearly double that number of men and teams. He does an immense business, handling over 40,000 tons of freight per year. He is one of the rising young business men of Omaha and merits the patronage he receives. His father, James B. Jardine, was born in the Parish of Glesserton, County of Wigtown, Scotland, December 19, 1819. Leaving his native place in 1838 he went to Yorkshire, England, where he remained until 1842 when he came to America, locating in Pennsylvania. In 1865 he married Miss Mary Ann Filnton who came from Yorkshire, England, They have three children living, namely, Thomas F., James W. and Walter S. He is a practical slater, having followed the business since he came from England. He has a diploma for roofing slate, etc., given to him by the Farmers and Mechanics' Institute of Northampton, at the annual fair held at Easton, Pa., September 26, 1856.

ANDREW JENSEN, blacksmith and wagon shop, was born in Denmark in 1848. He learned the trade of blacksmith there, serving an apprenticeship of four years. He came to America in 1871, and located in Omaha, Neb., where he was employed as a journeyman blacksmith some five years. He then opened a blacksmith and wagon shop which he has carried on since. Mr. Jensen was married at Omaha Neb., in 1872 to Annie Lindberg, a native of Sweden. They have three children Frederick, Charles and Albert.

H. P. JENSEN, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Denmark, August 24, 1844. When twelve years of age his parents emigrated to America and located at Omaha July 1, 1857, since which time this has been his home. He served five years in the army, entering the service as drummer boy in July, 1861. Afterwards he was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant of Company K, First Nebraska Veteran Volunteer Cavalry, serving until July 1, 1866. On September 1, 1866, he commenced the study of medicine. He attended one course of lectures at the University of Michigan. In the winter of 1872-'73 he graduated at the Long Island College Hospital, in Brooklyn, N. Y., and immediately engaged in practice in Omaha. Since then he resided and practiced two and a half years in Florida. He was married July 1, 1874 to Harriet Alma Swart. She was born in London, Canada. They have two children, Robert Percival and Rhena. They lost one infant son. The doctor is a member of the Omaha Medical Society, A., F. & A. M. and the G. A. R. Jens Jensen, father of the doctor, died in Omaha, July 7, 1857, and his mother is still living. Tunis Bartholomew Swart, Mrs. Jensen's father, died in London, Canada, her mother, Charlotte Victoria Gratiot Swart, is still living and a resident of Canada, but at present in Omaha.

A. L. JOHNSON, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Hancock County, Ohio, February 22, 1846. He enlisted at Indianapolis, Ind., in 1864, in Company E, One Hundred and Thirtieth Indiana Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He was mustered out at Indianapolis in 1865, then moved to Missouri, and in 1866 engaged on the H. & St. Joe R. R., where he had charge of an engine until after 1869, and also one year on the A., T. & S. F. R. R. He came to Nebraska in 1873 and engaged with the U. P. R. R., and has had charge of an engine since. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.

JOHN JOHNSON, real estate and ticket agent, came to Omaha in 1870 and has been engaged in his present business ever since. He represents the following steamboat lines: White Star, Red Star, Inman, National, Guion, State, Bremen, American, Hamburg and Anchor. He was born near Gothenburg, Sweden, November 28, 1842, and came to America in 1867. He located at Geneseo, Ill., before coming here, clerking in the dry goods business while there.

P. H. JOHNSON, land agent, B. & M. R. R. Co., was born in December, 1838, at Denmark. He located here in 1873 from St. Louis County, Mo., was engaged there mostly in farming for about twelve years. He came here with the intention to settle on land, but for some time at first he engaged work with his team, and in that time in evenings employed his time with other of his country people in working up and organizing the society called the Danish Agricultural Society of Nebraska. The intention of said members was to settle on some good Government land, and as one of their delegates the first trip was made in March, 1874, through the counties of Buffalo, Sherman, Valley and Howard in order to select sites for colonization, but failed to do so, and a second trip was made in April, 1874, and located in Kearney County on Government land with some forty families, and up to the present time he has assisted in locating some 400 families, mostly Danish. The settlement was called Frederiksminde, and the town or post office, called Frederiksborg. In October, 1874, he engaged with the B. & M. R. R. Land Department as traveling land agent, and in 1876 was stationed here. In 1876 he assisted in locating a small colony of German-Russians in Franklin County. In 1877-78 he assisted in locating a colony of Poles in Howard and Sherman counties. In 1879 he assisted in locating the Catholic colony in Greeley County, and has located a good many other families in different parts of the eastern part of the State. He owns 160 acres of railroad land in Kearney County of which about half is in cultivation. He was married in Dwight, Ill., in September, 1863, to Louisa Krumsick, who was born in St. Louis, Mo. They have five children, Dorthea, Frederick, Louisa, Anina and Mary. He is a member of the Danish Brotherhood of America and the President of its Lodge No. 1, and a member of the American Legion of Honor. He is also a member of the Danish Society of Omaha.

S. R. JOHNSON, member of the firm of Steele, Johnson & Co., wholesale grocers, was born in Rockville, Park Co., Ind., November 1, 1830; went to Holt County, Missouri, in October, 1846, remaining there until April, 1853, then went to California, where he resided until the spring of 1855; then located at Sidney, Fremont Co., Iowa, remaining there two years. In 1857 he removed to Rock Bluff, Neb., and resided there until 1866, and then went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1868 he established his present business in partnership with Mr. Steele, under the firm Name of Steele & Johnson. In 1874 he removed his business to Omaha. Mr. Johnson is president of the water-works company, and is prominently identified with the business interests of the city.

ANDREW P. JOHNSTON, dentist, was born in Sweden, and came to America in his sixth year. He commenced the study of dentistry about fifteen years ago, and for the last five years has been in business for himself. He spent nine years with Dr. James S. Charles, of Omaha, and one year in Chicago and St. Louis, Since then he has practiced in Omaha. He is a member of the Nebraska Dental Society.

SOREN JONASEN, manufacturer of jewelry and dealer in watches, clocks, etc., 410 S. Thirteenth and cor. Thirteenth and Harney streets, Omaha. He was born in 1852 in Denmark, where he learned his trade of watchmaker and jeweler. He came to America in 1876 to see the Centennial Exhibition, and liking the country he remained, coming to Omaha in the fall of that year. He worked for A. B. Hubermann for two and one-half years. On the 9th of October, 1878, he was married to Miss Gurrina Nelson. In the spring of 1879 Mr. Jonasen and wife visited Denmark, remaining four and one-half months, when they returned to Omaha. In October, 1879, he established his present business with a capital of $500. By close attention to business, and upright and honest dealing, he has so increased his business that he now carries a stock of $10,000, giving employment to five hands. He has now two stores. Mr. Jonasen is one of the upright and straightforward business men of Omaha, and will undoubtedly be in a few years one of the wealthiest men in that city.

ALFRED D. JONES, came to Nebraska Territory November 15, 1853, and made his claim at what was known in early days as Park Wild, but now Forest Hill. He took a claim of 320 acres, which is now all included in the city limits. Mr. Jones, in company with Thomas and William Allen, crossed the Missouri River in a little scow, which they found on a sand bar on the Iowa side; one rowed the scow, another bailed the water out, while the third steered the craft. They started to cross about opposite Farnam street, and landed about the location of Iler's Distillery. The grass was very tall, much higher than their heads, which they were obliged to part with their hands as they searched their way through the same. They made a fire on the location above the distillery and cooked their food, and took their blankets and camped their all night, with the starry heavens for their roof. During the night William Allen, being somewhat afraid for the surroundings imagined that he saw Indians, gave the alarm, when the others were aroused and saw what proved to be a prairie fire. They rose early the following morning, and started west on about the line of what is now Division street, going in that direction until they arrived at the ridge, when Mr. Jones went south to about the location of what is now Dr. Goodman's residence, then went east and marked his claim down on what is called Purgatory Creek, and as he emerged into the Missouri Valley he discovered a fine stone quarry. He then went up the latter valley until he arrived at the starting point, which marked the boundaries of his claim. He made his claim foundation at about where Park Wild Avenue is now located, on which he built the post office building March 28, 1854, laying the foundation November 15, 1853. There was not a white settler in that vicinity at that time. The structure was rather of a primitive style of architecture, being built entirely of unhewn logs, having only one hole cut in for a door and the same for a window. He got his commission from the Government May 6, 1854 for Postmaster. He lived for some time in a brush house, where Willow Spring brewery now stands, to which he brought his wife blind, but she soon recovered her sight. There was no mail route nearer than Florence, six miles north. The Government authorized Mr. J. to employ a mail carrier and pay him from the proceeds of the office. The patronage of the office being very limited, he was compelled to carry the mail himself from Council Bluffs. He carried the mail, opened it as Postmaster, and acted as free delivery clerk. He carried the mail in his pockets and hat. It was consequently called the Hat Post office. After settlers began to come in, Park Wild was too far out, and Mr. J. took an ax-box, put partitions in so as to make four pigeon-holes, which he left with the carpenter who was then constructing what was then known as the Douglas House, on the corner of Thirteenth and Harney streets. From there the post office went to the Big Six on the corner of Cass and Thirteenth streets, in 1854, and from there into other hands. Mr. J. finally became tired of being Postmaster, and after several attempts found a Mr. Frank, who assumed the duties. At the beginning of the Hat post office nobody wanted to be Postmaster, but twenty-seven years has wrought considerable of a change, for now it is eagerly sought after by many of the worthy citizens of the enterprizing Omaha. The first fractional quarter of Mr. J.'s jurisdiction the income of the office was three cents. The city of Omaha was laid out by Mr. Jones in July, 1854, he running the first boundary claim lines. He began the mercantile business in Omaha in 1860, which he followed several years, since which time he has dealt largely in real estate. He was born in Philadelphia, Pa., January 30, 1814. Was married in Jackson County, Mo., in September, 1847, to Miss Sophronia Reeves, who was born in Virginia in 1826.

E. S. JONES, dealer in flour, feed and bailed hay, began business in July 1880; employs one man; sales average $500 per month. He was born in New York City December 10, 1844, where he lived until 1864. His first business was the manufacture of artificial teeth and dental materials. He located in Burt County, Neb., in 1874, and began stock raising, which he followed some time, after which he moved to Omaha, and engaged in his present business. He was married in the latter county in November, 1878, to Miss Jessie Blaker. She was born in Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Omaha. He was a member of the National Guards of New York City, during the Rebellion.

S. B. JONES, assistant general passenger agent Union Pacific Railroad.

SOREN JORGENSEN, manufacturer and dealer in cigars, was born in Denmark in 1834. Came to America in 1863; learned the trade of cigarmaker in Chicago, Ill., worked at it there some eighteen months. Then at different parts of the Eastern States for several years. Came to Nebraska in 1867, located in Omaha--was employed as a cigarmaker for about four years. Commenced present business in 1871, in company with A. Hanson; they conducted the business together some two years; since then Mr. Jorgensen has carried on the business alone. He has been the Danish vice Consul for the past three years. Manufactures about 150,000 cigars per annum, employing three men. Married at Omaha in 1868 Helene Thompson, a native of Denmark. They have four children--Mary, Kate, Minnie and Jorgen.

Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

Chapter Contents      Part 1      Part 3

County Index