|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
ALBERTUS F. GROSS, superintendent of the Nebraska Fence Works, was born in Marion, Marion Co., Ohio, in 1849. He learned the trade of cabinet maker there, serving an apprenticeship of four years, and was employed as a journeyman cabinet maker principally in Indianapolis, Ind., until he came to Omaha, Neb., October 12, 1879, since which time he has been engaged in present capacity. Mr. Gross has had sixteen years' experience in cabinet making and all kinds of fancy wood work.
GEORGE GRUBER, outside foreman of the Omaha foundry, has five men under his supervision with average wages of $1.50 per day. Mr. G., located in Omaha March, 1880. He was born in Austria, September 2, 1853. His parents emigrated to America in the summer of 1862, and lived in New York City two years. Then moved to Oswego, N. Y., where they still reside. George learned his trade in the latter city where he lived until he came to Omaha. He was married in Oswego, N. Y., February, 1876, to Miss Josephine Brosmer, who was born in Baden, Ettenheim, Germany. They have two children, named Antoinette B. (Josephine, deceased) and Julius P. Mr. G., is a member of a Mutual Aid Society of Findlay, Ohio.
GUILD & McINNIS, drygoods and notions. Firm composed of John Guild and Alex. McInnis commenced business in 1881. John Guild of the above firm was born in Perth County, Scotland, March 25, 1852. Learned the drygoods business in Scotland; came to the United States in 1869, located in Chicago and engaged in clerking, from there removed to Nebraska in 1872, settling in Omaha and engaged in clerking until present firm was organized. He was married in Omaha October 7, 1879, to Miss Laura Reed, she was born in New York. They have one child, Lawrence. Mr. G. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge and Chapter. Mr. Alex. McInnis of above firm was born in Cumberland, N. S., October 7, 1851. Came to the United States in 1880, locating in Omaha, Neb., and engaged with Cruickshank & Co., as manager of the "Boston store" where he remained until the present firm was organized. Mr. McInnis is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the Burns Club of Omaha.
CHARLES H. GUION, residence Nineteenth and Capitol av., Omaha, occupation lumber business; arrived in Nebraska in the spring of 1867 and located in Omaha, and embarked in business as manufacturer of brick by steam, then sold out and went in the lumber trade and has been identified with it since, has seen Omaha when it had only 5,000 inhabitants, and helped to build up the city to present date; is now assistant manager of Chicago Lumber Company at Omaha, and has been connected with it for five years. Was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November, 2, 1839, and lived in native place until twenty-two years of age, from there went to Chicago for three and one-half years, from there to Omaha. Served through the Rebellion and enlisted right after the first gun was fired from Fort Sumter, and joined Company D, Second Ohio Volunteers, and participated with his regiment in the first battle of Bull Run, and went through all engagements with his command; also took part in the Kentucky campaign after Kirby Smith and the Guerrilla Morgan raid when Cincinnati was threatened, was mustered out soon after he went to Chicago. Is connected with the order of Free and Ancient Masons, is a member of Covert Lodge No. 11 of Omaha. Wife's maiden name was Harriet Pounsford, was born in Cincinnati; were married October 18, 1866, and have one child, Arthur P.
GEORGE H. GUY, ex-Sheriff, came to Omaha in 1857. He spent five years in freighting and joined Creighton in building the Pacific telegraph line. He returned to Otsego County, N. Y., and engaged in mercantile business for five years. In the spring of 1868 he returned to Omaha and dealt in stock for a year. For five or six years he was in the butchering business. Afterward he dealt in stock until 1877, when he was elected Sheriff and served four years. He was born in Middlefield, Otsego Co., N. Y., on September 16, 1828, and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was married at Clarksville, Otsego Co., N. Y., in 1867, to Margaret A. Fredericks, a native of Columbia County, N. Y., Mr. Guy is an A., F. & A. M.
WILLIAM A. GWYER, firm of Poland & Gwyer, dealers in flour, mill stuff, ground feed, etc., also commission merchants for farm produce. Mr. G. began in his present business in August, 1881. They employ four men. Their business is yet new, but very rapidly increasing. Mr. G. was born in New York City, March 16, 1820. He was married in the latter city in November 1846, to Miss Sarah A. Hall, who was born in Middletown, Conn. They have four children--William A., Idalyn, Gwyndaline and Etta H. Idalyn is married and living in Omaha, Neb., William A., and Gwyndaline are in Washington, D. C. William A. is a clerk in the Treasury Department. Mr. Gwyer first located in Omaha in the fall of 1857, and engaged in loaning money and dealing in real estate for a number of years. He moved to New York City in 1861, and remained there and at Wilmington, N. C., engaged in merchandising until 1865, and sold out and returned to Omaha in the latter year. He was a member of the Territorial Legislature in 1859, Alderman of Omaha in 1860, and was a member of the State Senate in 1873-74, being President of the Senate, and a short period acting Governor. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1877; he was also a member of the Board of Education of Omaha in 1878. Mr. Gwyer brought the first Eastern lumber to Omaha in spring of 1857--buying it in Chicago, and loaded it on barges and sent it through the canal and Illinois River into the Mississippi River to St. Louis, Mo., where he chartered two steamers to carry the same and other building material to Omaha. The freight cost $7,300 and the whole outlay was about $20,000. He built the largest frame building at the time in Omaha, which is now known as the Hudson River House. It was plastered with lime which Mr. G. burnt on the Platte River. It was used for political purposes and public gatherings, being the largest building then in Omaha. The first children's party given in Omaha was held there by Mr. G. and wife. In 1858 he was much interested in the question of the U. P. R. R., and he was one of a committee at that time to draw up a memorial to Congress in regard to facts and figures for the construction of the above road across the continent. He was one of the principal actors to begin and complete the memorial, and submit it to Congress and to the Governors of all the United States, when it was brought prominently before the public and was finally matured in 1861.
WILLIAM GYGER, foreman of the firm of Dewey & Stone, Omaha. Mr. Gyger was born and reared in Plattsmouth, Neb. In 1875 he entered the present business as clerk, and has been successfully connected with it since.
G. H. HAARMANN, vinegar manufacturer, East and Pacific streets, Omaha. Mr. Haarmann established this business here in 1871 with a capacity of two barrels per day, but has so enlarged upon it as now to be able to turn out from seven to eight barrels per day--annual yield 2,400 barrels. Mr. H. was born in Germany, 1822, and came to this country and settled in Omaha, 1868, where he opened a manufactory for soda water, which he carried on until his investment in the present enterprise. In 1855 he was married to Miss Agnes Kline, who was born in Cologne, Germany. They have a family of four sons and one daughter.
WILLIAM HAGEDORN, proprietor of Palace Meat Market, 314 S. Fifteenth street, Omaha. Mr. H. was born in Germany, 1849. In 1861 he removed to this county with his people, who settled in Omaha, where he began at an early age the stock business. In 1873 he began saloon business, which he successfully conducted for seven years--in the meantime being alive to the improvements of the times and doing a money-loaning business. He having spent some considerable time through this Western County--a few years in California previous to 1873, after leaving the saloon business, he built the present extensive market, and has been actively engaged in that industry since.
GEORGE W. HALL, assistant auditor of U. P. R. R., was born in Boston, Mass., June 3, 1835. From the age of sixteen he was employed as a clerk in the commission and lumber house of Edward D. Peters & Co., of Boston, remaining with them for seven years, after which time he spent two years in Florida and South Carolina on account of ill health. In 1860 he was employed as a bookkeeper in the Trenton Locomotive Works, of Trenton, N. J. In 1861 came to Clinton, Iowa, and was bookkeeper for the firm of C. C. Washburn & Co., and W. J. Young, lumber manufacturers, remaining there until 1868, when he came to Nebraska and was employed as chief clerk in the accounting department of the U. P. R. R. until March 21, 1881, when he was appointed to his present position of assistant auditor. He is a member of the First Congregational Church of Omaha. Married Miss Helen M. Van Kuran, of Rochester, N. Y., November, 1864. They have four children, three now living--Isaac Whitney, Helen Howell, and Morris Andrew.
R. S. HALL, attorney at law, was born at Batavia, Genesee Co. N. Y., November 17, 1855, and came to Nebraska in 1858. He was educated in the public schools of Omaha, and graduated from the Washington Law School, St. Louis, Mo., in 1877. He read law with Hon. George W. Doane for two years. In 1877 he commenced practice in partnership with Gen. Estabrook. In 1879 he went in with John M. Thurston, and is now associated with him.
THOMAS F. HALL, Postmaster, came to Omaha in March, 1865, where he engaged in building with Charles Hall. Shortly afterward they operated a foundry, continuing in that until 1873, doing a general foundry and machine business up to 1871, and after that making the new Manny Combined Reaper and Mower. He abstained from active business for a few years, and in 1877 was appointed Postmaster and in 1881 was re-appointed by President Garfield. He was in 1871 and 1872 a member of the Legislature. He has been a member of the Board of Education. He was born in East Dennis, Barnstable Co., Mass., June 23, 1841. He was at sea for two years during the war. He was married at East Dennis, November 28, 1864, to Amelia J. Crowell, a native of West Yarmouth. They have one child--Mamie L.
C. HAMANN, manufacturer and dealer in custom made boots and shoes, 1419 Dodge street, began business June 13, 1881. First settled in Blair, Neb., in February, 1875, located on the Omaha and St. Paul railroad, worked there two years as journeyman. Then went to California and followed his trade two years in Sacramento, and finally moved to Omaha and worked as before some time, finally embarked for himself. He was born in Germany, September 8, 1851. He learned his trade in Europe. Came to America in fall of 1873, and located in New Bremen, Ill., and worked at his trade a short time. Then went to Nebraska. He belongs to the Omaha Turn Verein, and the Knights of Pythias, of Omaha, U. D.
HENRY F. HAMANN, of H. F. Hamann & Bro., contractors and builders, was born in Germany in 1848, learned the trade of carpenter there, serving three years as an apprentice. He came to America in 1870 and located in Omaha, Neb., was employed one year as a journeyman carpenter, then engaged in same capacity in Chicago, Ills., for two and one-half years, returning to Omaha in the autumn of 1873, entered into partnership with his brother, William F. Hamann, and they have since been engaged in contracting and building. Mr. Hamann was married in Omaha in 1874 to Agatha Stahl, a native of Germany. They have two children--Henrietta and William.
[RESIDENCE OF C. W. HAMILTON.]
C. W. HAMILTON, banker, and member of the firm of Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., was born in the town of German, Chenango Co., N. Y., came to Omaha in May 1856, and engaged in the mercantile business first as clerk, and then for himself, Subsequently was a member of the firm of Millard, Caldwell & Co., and purchased the interest of Mr. Millard when that gentleman withdrew from the firm. May 1, 1868, the firm of Caldwell, Hamilton & Co. was organized, since which time Mr. Hamilton has devoted his whole time to his business.
GEORGE B. HAMILTON, contractor and builder, residence 1512 Jones street, Omaha, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1840. His parents removed to America in 1842, locating in Cornwall, Ont., where the subject of this sketch remained most of the time until 1866, when he went to Peterborough, Ont., remaining there until 1878, when he came to Omaha. He began to learn his trade of carpenter in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., in 1861. In 1865 he married Miss Maggie Edmison, at Lindsey, Ont. They have four children. Mr. Hamilton is doing a large business, employing fifteen hands.
GUST HAMEL, proprietor of the Southern House, began business January 4, 1881. It contains twenty-six bed rooms and six other rooms; can accommodate sixty guests. He settled in Omaha January 4, 1881. He was born in Sweden, October 11, 1845, emigrated to America in spring of 1869 and settled in Chicago, Ill. He first began laboring, then farming, and afterwards followed railroading in Iowa. He has also lived in Louisiana and other Southern States. He is yet engaged in grade contracting in Western Iowa. He has also followed track laying on the K. C. R. R. line. Moved to Council Bluffs in fall of 1880, and to Omaha January 4, 1881. He was married in Clarinda, Iowa, in fall of 1879 to Miss Louisa Nelson, who is a native of Sweden.
CHARLES S. HAMBRIGHT, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born at Lancaster City, Pa., March 15, 1837. At sixteen years of age learned the trade of machinist at the Lancaster Locomotive Works, serving an apprenticeship of four years, and was then employed as a journeyman machinist for several years. In 1863 he entered the employ of the P. C. R. R. Co. as fireman, was engaged in that capacity for two years; then employed as engineer on the C. R. I. & P. R. R. for one year, during which time he was located at Chicago; afterwards employed on the C. & N. W. R. R., at Bell Plain, Iowa, until he came to Omaha, Neb., July 5, 1867, and has been in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Company as locomotive engineer since. Mr. Hambright was married at Lancaster City, Pa., September 28, 1856, to Mary L. Lewars, a native of that place. They have three children--Margie E., Belle S. and Carrie W.
HAMILTON, McEWAN & CO., proprietors western plumbing and metal works plumbers, gas and steamfitters' materials, ornamental lawn and drinking fountains etc. Business established in August, 1881. Employ fourteen to sixteen men. Thomas Hamilton senior member of the firm, was born in Tyrone County, Ireland, January 11, 1837. In 1865 he came to the United States and engaged in grape growing at Sandusky, Ohio. Leaving there in 1867 he moved to Nebraska and engaged in stock business on Barker Bros'. farm, they being brothers-in-law. In May, 1877, he settled in Omaha and engaged in farming, and looking after his real estate interests until the present business was established. Mr. Hamilton was married in Douglas County, Neb., December 25, 1872, to Miss Mary Jane Barker, a native of Yorkshire, England. Mr. H. is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.
P. A. HAMMON, saloon 906 North Sixteenth street, O. Mr. Hammon was born in Java, Wyoming Co., N. Y. State. In 1877 he came here and engaged with the Union Pacific Railroad until 1880, when he opened the present business, which he has successfully carried on since.
J. F. HAMMOND, proprietor of Excelsior Machine Works, was born in Watertown, Mass., 1850, learned trade of machinist at Newton Upper Falls, Mass. At the age of fifteen years, serving an apprenticeship of three years, was them employed as a journeyman machinist and draughtsman for several years, and also took contracts for putting machinery in factories, machine works, etc., and in doing this he traveled through some of the Eastern and Western States. He then went to Wilmington, Del., and was engaged part of the time as corresponding and advertising manager of the Wilmington Wayside. He came to Nebraska in 1874, located at Omaha, and was engaged as a clerk in the book business some four years, in 1878 he purchased the present business from Van Dorne Bros., and has been engaged in conducting it since; manufactures principally a small stationary engine known as the Excelsior Adjustable Cut-off. When he commenced business first he only employed three men. His force now runs as high as thirty two men.
ANDREW HARMON, painter, was born in Sweden in 1854, where he learned his trade. Arriving in America in 1871, locating in Chicago, remaining there until 1877, when he settled in Omaha, Neb., going into business with his brother. They ran a shop until 1880, when he bought out his brother and has carried on the business since; shop and residence, 720 North Fifteenth street, Was married in 1879 to Miss Otelia Sheltrom of Omaha. They have one son, Erick W.
L. A. HARMON, chief clerk in purchasing department of the U. P. R. R. Was born in Suffield, Conn., December 2, 1844. At the age of eighteen, at the breaking out of our late civil war, he enlisted in Company H., Fifty-second Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry for nine months, then became engaged in the coal and wood yard of L. C. Gillett, in Westfield, Mass., and soon after became interested with a Mr. Orrin Cowles in a patent right for renovating feather beds by a steam process in Ohio. He then sold his interest and came to Omaha in 1866, and was employed in the grocery store of J. W. Towsley. In the spring of 1867 he formed a partnership under the name of Furay & Harmon, in grocery business, corner of Dodge and Sixteenth street, until 1869 when they sold out to H. B. Case. He then carried on the same business on his own account at the corner of Howard and Jackson streets for a few years. He then went in the employ of J. J. Brown & Bro. for three years. In 1873 he became bill clerk in the Omaha Bridge Transfer Office, at Omaha, under P. P. Shelby, and remained for three years; he transferred as bill clerk to Council Bluffs Station for three years, and was then transferred to his present position in the purchasing department. He is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 25, A., F. & A. M.; also a member of the South Omaha Methodist Church. He married Miss Mary H. Simpkins of Papillion, Sarpy Co., Neb., April 22, 1874. They have three children living, Stella J., Edith A. and Chester P., and two dead, Julius S. and Mary A.
CHARLES M. HARPSTER, carpenter and joiner, also farmer. Located in Omaha, Neb., in the spring of 1866, and engaged as carpenter, which business he still follows in connection with farming. During 1881 he was employed wholly at his trade. He was born in Blair County, Pa., February 12, 1846. He lived in Pennsylvania until the spring of 1864 and followed farming. He enlisted that spring or in February, in Company M., Thirteenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Malvern Hill and Siege of Petersburg. Was also engaged in Raleigh, N. C., and participated in the last charge of Petersburg. He was a participant in eighteen heavy engagements, and mustered out in July, 1865, at Raleigh N. C., and was finally discharged at Philadelphia, Pa., and the following spring went to Omaha. He went as government carpenter to Laramie; worked there and at Ft. Sanders one season. He was married in Omaha, March 14, 1872, to Miss Loretta Sanders, who was born in Indiana. They have four children, Minnie, George E., Blanche P. and Mary Alice,
DAVID HARPSTER, carpenter and joiner. He settled in Omaha, May 8, 1858. He first sought any kind of work he could find to do for about a year, after which he visited many portions of the States of Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and Iowa, and returned to Omaha in 1862, where he engaged working on a ferry boat. He spent a portion of 1863 in Pennsylvania, and in the spring of 1864 he in company with another party began a cottonwood lumber yard, which business was continued until the spring of 1866, since which he has followed his trade; has also done some contracting and building. He was born in Blair county, at Tyrone, Penn., January 30, 1832, where he lived until he was twenty-three years of age, when he went to Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc., and the following year came to Omaha, as above noted. He was married in Omaha, January 3, 1861, to Amanda L. Redman, who was born in Frankstown, Pa., January 25, 1836. They have three children, Elsie B., Dollie A. and Eliza. Their first child, Anna L., died August 5, 1863. Mr. H. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Omaha Lodge, No. 2. The family are also members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. H. has also been a member of the Board of Education for two years.
R. A. HARRIS, firm of Harris & Fisher, dealer in all kinds of fresh and salt meats, keeper of one of the finest retail markets in the West, which is located 1517 Dodge street, Omaha; they also are proprietors of a large packing house near the Union Stock yards on U. P. R. R., which was established in fall of 1871. They employ from twenty to fifty men according to the work, at an average of from $1.50 to $3 per day. The capacity of their packing house is 400 cattle per week, with from 300 to 400 hogs per day. They pack some mess pork, but make more of a specialty in dry, smoked and salt meats, and beef curing, canning, etc. They also do nearly all the dressing for the city markets. Mr. H. located in Omaha in 1866, and engaged in the meat business which he has since followed.
RANSOM HARRIS, foreman of Obern, Hoosic & Co's rendering house. The firm reside in Chicago, Ill., He has two men under his supervision, He located in Omaha, April 1, 1881, emigrating from Des Moines, Iowa. He was born in Wayne County, in Southern Illinois, June 5, 1840, where he lived until he was thirteen years of age, when his parents moved to Springfield, Ill., and lived eighteen months, then moved to Hickory County, Mo., where he lived four years, then moved to Henderson County, Ill., opposite Burlington, Iowa, where he lived until 1864, being transient. He then moved to Buffalo County, Wis., and following running lumber on rivers some time. Then moved to Fulton, Ill., and there spent two years, engaged first in the manufacture of brick and secondly driving team. He then soon returned to Buffalo County, Wis., and took up a homestead where he lived about seven years; sold his land and moved to Des Moines, Iowa, and engaged in various occupations and worked two years for the above company previous to coming to Omaha. He was married in Oquawka, Henderson Co., Ill., March 29, 1865, to Miss Nancy E. Hughes, who was born near Green Castle, Ind. They have two children, named Frances May and Jessie Bell.
REV. WILLIAM J. HARSHA, B. A., Pastor of Second Presbyterian Church, was born in Hanover, Ill., April 20, 1853, educated at Princeton College, New Jersey; graduated at this college in 1874, was then a student at Northwestern Seminary, Chicago, Ill., for three years; graduated April 1, 1877, came to Nebraska in April, 1877, located at Omaha, and entered upon his present duties. Married at Jacksonville, Ill., June 12, 1877, to Sadie Hockenhull of that place. They have one daughter Catharine.
CHRISTIAN HARTMAN, dealer in live stock, consisting of cattle and hogs being engaged in raising and feeding, and regular dearer. He located in Omaha in 1856, with his parents. His father, J. G. Hartman, is still living in Omaha and was formerly in the real estate business. The subject of this sketch attended the schools of this city at a suitable age and first clerked for D. C. Sutphon a year or two in a confectionery store. He enlisted in May, 1861, in Company D, First Regiment Nebraska Infantry, and participated in the battles of Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Pea Ridge, Cape Girardeau, Fort Arkansas, Vicksburg and many skirmishes with Gen. John M. Thayer. He was mustered out late in the season of 1864. He then clerked for J. S. Gibbon, first in a grocery store which was finally changed to a clothing store, about three years. After leaving Mr. Gibson, he was the first City Weighmaster of Omaha for two years. He was elected City Treasurer, in 1875, and served four years, being re-elected and serving to 1879 inclusive. Then he established and opened the first beef packing and canning house in Omaha, after which he engaged in his present business. Previous to being elected Treasurer, he served and was elected Assessor four years. He was Treasurer of State Board of Agriculture for six years; also Treasurer of State Board of Horticulture for about same number of years. He was also Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Masons of Nebraska, for three years. He is a member of most all Masonic Lodges of the State. He is also the Treasurer of the Grand Chapter of Nebraska, and a member of the Omaha Chapter No. 1. He is also Treasurer of Mount Cavalry, No. 1, Knights Templars. He has passed all the chairs in the Blue Lodge of Covert, No. 11, of Omaha. He was born in New York City May 7, 1844. He was married in Omaha, Neb., October 9, 1865, to Miss Sarah E. Arnold, who was born in New Castle, Coshocton, Co., Ohio. They have three children, Laura Pearl, Fred. G. and Arthur C.
C. L. HART, M. D. homeopathist, physician and surgeon, came to Omaha in February, 1880, having been present for the Nebraska State Homeopathic Society, being a member about three years while a resident of Sioux City, Iowa. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., August 25, 1836, and moved to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1837, with his father, Edward B., one of the pioneers of that city. He lived there until he entered the Wisconsin State University at Madison in 1856; attended there for three years, leaving there at the end of the Junior year, commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Bowen, of Madison. Afterwards attended the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College, and the New York Homeopathic Medical College and graduated from the New York Ophthalmic Hospital College in 1872. He practiced in Madison nearly five years. In the fall of 1874 he removed to Sioux City, and remained there until going to Omaha. He was married at Madison Wis., to Miss Ella R. Telford. She was a native of the Province of New Brunswick. She died January, 1880, leaving two children, Effie I., eight years old; Frank J., two years old. The Doctor has one daughter, Edith L., by a previous marriage. He is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, and the American Ophthamological and Otological Society, and the State Homeopathic Association. He is a member of the American Legion of Honor and of the Methodist Church.
M. W. HARTIGAN, manufacturer of steam boilers, lard tanks, etc. Was born in Ireland, in 1846. He came to America when quite young. Learned the trade of boiler maker and sheet iron worker at St. Louis, Mo., and was employed at it there until 1870, was then engaged conducting boiler works for other parties at Peoria, Ill., and Keokuk, Iowa, for over a year. He then opened boiler works at Hannibal, Mo., and conducted them until he came to Nebraska. In November 1876, he located at Omaha, and commenced present business, which he conducted alone up to November 8, 1880, when he admitted William Gushurst, they continued together until September 8, 1881, since then Mr. Hartigan has been alone. He employs eighteen men. Mr. Hartigan was married in Hannibal., Mo., in 1873, to Bridget E. Fox, a native of Ireland. They have five children, John C., Dauphenia, Mary E., Leonora and Martin T.
D. HARTSON, painter, U. P. R. R. shops, Nebraska. Was born in Iowa, in 1846, came to Omaha in the spring of 1868, and in the following year entered the employment of the railroad company as foreman of freight car painting department. Is a member of I. O. O. F., also one of the trustees of the U. P. Painters Insurance Association. Was married in 1870 to Miss Mary Boyes; they have two children, Louisa and Leonard.
C. B. HAVENS, local freight agent at Omaha, and superintendent bridge division U. P. R. R., was born in West Rush, near Rochester, N. Y., February 17, 1849, at the age of sixteen he engaged as telegraph operator on the Atlantic & Great Western R. R., serving in such capacity at various points on that road; in 1868, was transferred to Cleveland, Ohio, as telegraph operator for train dispatches. In April, 1969, came to Omaha as telegraph operator at local freight depot U. P. R. R., and in July of same year was transferred to division superintendent's office, as night train despatcher; in January, 1870, promoted to chief despatcher, and on July 1, 1878, promoted to present position. Is a member of St. John's Blue Lodge, No. 25, A., F. & A. M., also of Royal Arch Chapter No. 1, and Knight Templar, Mount Calvary Commandery, No. 1. Married Miss L. E. J. Riley of Schuyler, Colfax Co., Neb., September 15, 1875. They have one child, Katie L.