KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Douglas County
Produced by Liz Lee.



Part 1      Part 3


City of Omaha

Note: Please refer back to the Omaha first page, or to the Chapter Table of Contents for the complete listing.

SECTION 1:  The Early DaysSECTION 2:  More Early Days
SECTION 3:  Omaha in 1870SECTION 4:  Present Day (1882)
SECTION 5:  CrimesSECTION 6:  Fires and Public Works
SECTION 7:  Health, Parks, MailSECTION 8:  The Press in Omaha
SECTION 9:  Press ContinuedSECTION 10:  Religious
SECTION 11:  Religious (cont.)SECTION 12:  Cemetery and Schools
SECTION 13:  Legal and MedicalSECTION 14:  Opera House-Hotels-Business
SECTION 15:  SocietiesSECTION 16:  Societies (Cont.)
SECTION 17:  BusinessSECTION 18:  Manufacturing
SECTION 19:  Manufacturing (cont.)

SECTIONS
20 - 46:














   ** Omaha Biographical Sketches **
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |


List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter


City of Omaha 33


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
LEHMAN~LOWE

SIMON LEHMAN, jeweler and pawnbroker, 1108 Farnam street, Omaha, was born in Germany in 1839. In 1857 he came to this country and settled in Rochester, N. Y., from where after a stay of three years he went to Pennsylvania and in 1867 he came to Omaha and established the present business which he has successfully conducted since. In 1867 he was married to Miss Sophia Kochenthal, who was also born in Germany, in 1839.

View
[HENRY LEHMANN'S WHOLESALE AND RETAIL WALL PAPER ESTABLISHMENT.]

HENRY LEHMANN, wholesale and retail dealer in wall paper and window shades, came to Omaha May 22, 1867, and found employment at his trade, that of a painter, doing job work at sign painting, graining, etc. He being a skilled mechanic soon found enough trade to start in business and opened a small paint shop, afterward employing one or two workmen. His business increased steadily and he soon became fully identified with the interests of the city and State. Several years ago Mr. Lehmann added to his painting business the wall paper and window shade trade and now carries it on in large proportions, doing a wholesale and retail trade. He occupies the three-story brick building located at No. 1118 Farnam street, and employs from twenty-eight to thirty men in his painting business, three salesmen in his retail departments and two traveling salesmen. His wholesale trade principally extends through Western Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and the Territories.

LEISGE & SON, groceries and provisions, commenced in 1879 succeeding C. Leisge, carry a stock of $2,500 to $3,000 and their yearly sales will amount to $18,000. C. Leisge, senior member of the firm, was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, January 9, 1819. Came to Omaha, Neb., in 1867 and engaged in tailoring, a trade he learned in Germany. Then opened a confectionery store, afterward changed to present business. He was married in Germany, March, 1842, to Miss Mary Blake. They have three children living, Henry, John and Lena, now Mrs. E. Clark.

H. LEISGE, junior member of the firm of Leisge & Son, was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, April 26, 1847. Came to the United States with his parents about 1860. Located in Baltimore for a time. He learned the trade of barber, and followed this business in different portions of the country. Came to Nebraska about 1867, located in Omaha and worked at his trade until about 1874, when he went into his father's store. He was married in Omaha, March 20, 1873, to Miss Bertha Blatz. She was born in Wisconsin. They have three children, Henry, Charles and Clara.

M. F. LEMASTER, United States Government Storekeeper, Willow Springs Distillery was born in Scott County, Ind., March 23, 1828. Parents moved to Schuyler County, Ill., and one year later to Fulton County, in same State. In 1852 Mr. L. went to California, engaging in mining. In 1860 he returned to Fulton County, and from there came to Nebraska in the same year, locating in Nebraska City, remained only a short time when he returned to Fulton County. Returned to Nebraska City in 1861, and engaged in freighting and farming four or five years. Was then appointed Deputy Collector under his brother, J. E. Lemaster, who was Collector for this District. Held this office until 1870. On or about 1872 he was appointed Assistant Assessor of division south of Platte River. Held this position until the office of assessor was abolished, then engaged in farming about three years. Was appointed to present position in September 1878.

WILLIAM L. LEWIS, proprietor of Lewis Omaha Express Office, U. P. depot, residence 1713 Webster street. He was born in 1844, at Ravenna, Ohio. He was married in October, to Miss Mary E. Elrick. They have one child, Fannie A. Mr. L. came to Omaha in July, 1872, and for two years thereafter, he was employed as weigh master, by Poland & Elliott, coal dealers. In the fall of 1874 he began his present business, with one team. He now has seven teams, and employs six men. He handles over 300,000 tons of freight per year, doing business for forty-four prominent business houses, in the city of Omaha.

GEORGE LINDE, proprietor of a large sausage factory, began business December, 1881, after the style of the old county, which has a capacity of 3,000 pounds per day, and manufactures the finest sausage in the West. It is styled the Hamburger Sausage Factory, and is run by steam power. Mr. L. settled in Omaha in the fall of 1866. He learned his trade of sausage manufacture in Hamburg, Germany. He was born in Russia, in 1839. Emigrated to America in 1864. He served in the Danish army four years, beginning as Corporal and being promoted to the various offices until he made Second Lieutenant. Served all through the war, between Austria and Prussia, against Denmark, and was wounded several times. He settled in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1864, worked in a sausage factory there some time. Then went to Chicago, and worked at carpenter and joiner trade until the fall of 1866, at which time he went west. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in 1868, to Eliza Lewon, who was born in Germany. They had three children, named Emma M., Willie G., and Mary H. His wife died October 27, 1880, in Omaha, Neb. Married again March 24, 1881, to Miss Minnie Luther, who was born in Chicago, Ill. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Omaha. He is also a member of the Turner Society and the Mænnerchor, a German singing society.

GEORGE W. LININGER came to Nebraska in 1874, and engaged in the agricultural implement business, which he carried on until November 1879. Then he spent a year in Europe. In December, 1881, he organized the Lininger & Metcalf Co., dealers in agricultural implements, forwarding and storage. Capital, $100,000. They employ from fifteen to twenty men. They expect to do a business of $1,000,000 in 1883. He was born in Chambersburg, Franklin Co., Pa., in 1835, and moved to Peru, Ill., where he lived until 1869. He then came to Council Bluffs, and engaged in the agricultural implement business there for a number of years. He started the first farm machinery jobbing house in this region. He was married in Peru, Ill., in 1858 to Caroline M. Newman, a native of Knoxville, Knox Co., Ill. They have one child, Florence. Mr. L. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being Past Grand Master of the State. He was P. G. H. P. In Illinois, before he came here.

View
[INTERIOR VIEW OF G. A. LINDQUEST'S MERCHANT TAILORING ESTABLISHMENT, FARNAM STREET. ESTABLISHED 1874.]

G. A. LINDQUEST, merchant tailor, is a native of Sweden. At about the age of eleven years, he commenced to learn his trade, which he has since followed. Came to Omaha in 1869, and established his business in 1874. He carries a full assortment of imported and American clothes, cassimeres and vestings, and employs an average of twenty hands. Married in 1871, to Miss Christina Bryntson, of Sweden. They have two children, Mary and Adolph B.

WILLIAM A. LITTLE, deceased. In preparing brief biographical sketches of the eminent men of Nebraska's earlier days, and especially those of Douglas County, we have invariably, in gathering our facts respecting them, had the name of William A. Little mentioned to us as being one of the men of marked character. Justice to his memory, as he bore a conspicuous part in the public affairs, not only of Douglas County but of Nebraska in her territorial existence, prompts us to give a short but truthful notice of him. William A. Little came from Aurora, Ill., to Omaha in the latter part of the year 1856 and engaged in the practice of the law. He was then a young man and a total stranger to all in Nebraska. His commending legal talents, his close attention to business, his genial social qualities, his inexhaustible store of common sense, his unbending integrity and his persuasive force in addressing a jury, at once brought him into the front ranks of his profession. He was ever true to his clients and to their legal rights. He was by nature a lawyer. His mind acted rapidly and correctly and reached a right and legal conclusion and solution of the proposition submitted almost as soon as stated. Lawyer-like, he never abandoned that which appeared to him to be right between the parties from the given state of facts, but fortified this view by an industrious research for precedents in well considered cases. He had an exceeding keen sense of that which was right. Such qualities of mind made him a sound and safe adviser and a good lawyer not in one but in all branches of the law. In preparing the facts in the case and in their presentation by argument to the court or jury he had few equals. His arguments to court on legal questions were always clear, pointed, logical and brief. Before a jury he was a power; swaying their minds, not by his eloquence--for in the true sense of the word he was not an orator--but by the common sense, practical views he took of business affairs and the manner in which he stated and grouped the facts as they bore upon his view of the case. Yet he was not wanting but was oftentimes effective in the graces of oratory. Seldom did he try a case that he did not entertain and amuse the jury with outbursts of sparkling wit and withering sarcasm. In his association and business relations with his fellow attorneys he was ever courteous and obliging. He never violated his word and opposing counsel were never afraid to let their case rest on an oral agreement made with him inside or outside of the court room and in the absence of a witness. His word was as good as other men's bonds. His business relations generally were characterized by one word--honest. While pursuing his legal avocation he yet took an active part in public affairs. In 1859, 1860, 1861 and 1864, he was elected, from Douglas County, Councilman to serve as a member of the upper branch of the Territorial Legislature. The number of times he was successively re-elected attest the fidelity with which he discharged the trusts confided to him and the value placed upon his services as a legislator. In truth few have impressed their minds on the laws of the State as he did. He was always watchful, prudent and conservative in the measure he advocated. Old settlers remember and recall with delight his memorable fight as a legislator against the creation of charters for "wild cat banks." In 1865 he was elected from Douglas County, as a member of the Constitutional Convention, called to draft a State constitution. In the month of July this convention met, organized, and adjourned sine die. In 1867 Nebraska became a State. Mr. Little was nominated by the Democratic State Convention for the responsible position of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. His opponent on the Republican ticket was Hon. O. P. Mason, of Nebraska City. The solid and enviable reputation which Mr. little had established throughout the State as a lawyer, statesman and as a man of incorruptible integrity, designated him as pre-eminently the proper person to fill that important and dignified position. It is sufficient to say he was the only man on the Democratic ticket who was elected. At the time of his election he was in feeble health never lived to qualify as Chief Justice and render to the State his valuable services in laying broad, sure and certain the principles of law as they are builded in well adjudicated cases. His health still failing he returned to Aurora, where he died in 1867 deeply lamented by all who ever knew him. Even now he is fondly cherished in memory by many who were his warm friends. A more honest and honorable man never crossed the Missouri River.

LITTLE & WILLIAMS, groceries and provisions. Firm was organized in 1871. They carry a stock of about $10,000 and do a business yearly of about $45,000.

JOHN LITTLE, of the firm of Little & Williams, was born in County Meath, Ireland, September 8, 1838, and came to the United States in 1847 with his parents and located in Rochester, N. Y. His first business experience was in that city engaged in clerking in a grocery store. He removed to Nebraska in 1868, in Omaha, and was clerking until the present firm was formed. He was married in Chicago, Ill., February 13, 1877, to Miss Ellen Hartnett. They have three children--John, William and Mary.

CHARLES C. LITTLEFIELD, dairyman. Residence east side of Saunders, north of Croft street, Omaha.

HENRY LIVESEY, mason, contractor and brick manufacturer. Was born in England, March 23, 1834. Came to America when quite young and resided in Oneida County, N. Y. for a year and in Lewis County for eight years and was engaged in farming. Learned the trade of bricklayer at Madison, Wis., and was employed at it some four years. Came to Nebraska in 1856 and located in Omaha. He was employed as a bricklayer about eighteen months and since that time has been engaged in contracting for general building. Commenced the manufacture of brick in 1867 and has continued at that business ever since, making some 3,000,000 bricks, per annum and employs in his brick yard and building departments sixty men. The brick yard covers three acres of ground. He built the Fifth Ward public schoolhouse and also erected about six large building blocks and twenty private residences in 1881 and built the foundation of the Union Elevator, using in that about 900,000 brick. He was Assessor of the Third Ward for a year. Was married at Madison, Wis., January 11, 1856 to Rebecca J. Winslade, a native of Canada. They have six children--Robert E., forman for his father, J. Leonard, printer, George H., Agnes, Edwin and Mary.

THOMAS LIVINGSTON, locomotive engineer on the U. P. R. R., was born at Harlem, Cook Co., Ill., in July, 1851. He came to Nebraska in February, 1868, located at Omaha and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. as fireman and was engaged in that capacity some three years. He was appointed locomotive engineer August 10, 1871, and has continued in that capacity since.

C. O. LOBECK, traveling salesman with Lee, Fried & Co., Omaha, is a native of Illinois and came to Nebraska in 1880 and has been connected with the present firm since.

S. E. LOCKE, manager of the White Lead Works, came to Omaha in January, 1878, and organized the White Lead Works. He has managed that concern since its beginning. He was born at Auburn, N. Y., and came to Chicago in 1854. He has been engaged in his present business for about six years. There is no white lead manufactory in the country which has built up so large a trade in so short a time. The principal sales are west of the Missouri River as far as California. They have from 1,200 to 1,500 customers from Manitoba to Galveston and west to the Pacific. They employ about fifty men at present. They are manufacturing liquid paints and colors.

JOHN LOGAN, machinist, in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., was born at Frankfort, Ohio, January 15, 1818. Before locating here he traveled on the road for different wholesale houses in Illinois and on July 9, 1855, came here and sold goods on his own account, carrying on that business until the year 1860, when he went to Denver, mining, and remained there for about six months, then returned and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co. as machinist. Was married on April 11, 1842, to Rosanna Kellogg, who was born at Keoga, N. Y., and died in 1850, leaving one daughter, who is now married. He married again on November 11, 1855, to Caroline C. Mosier, who was born in New York, August, 20, 1832. Has been a member of the Masonic Order since 1857, and also a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1846.

E. K. LONG, ticket auditor of the U. P. R. R., was born in Newburyport, Mass., December 24, 1826. He is the son of William R., and Eliza Ann Long, who were early settlers of Newburyport. He was brought up in Lowell, Mass., and first worked as a dry goods clerk, then in a machine shop and carpenter shop, and then as foreman in the Massachusetts Manufacturing Co., of Lowell, engaged in the manufacture of cotton cloth. In 1855 he went to Boston and was clerk for one year in the Tremont House. He came west to Ohio, and was connected with the Little Miami R. R., as clerk in the general office for two years. In 1858 he held the position of station agent on the Ohio and Mississippi R. R., until May, 1864, when he became cashier of Adams Express Co., Cincinnati. From 1865 to 1868 he was clerk in the machine shops of the Ohio & Mississippi R. R., at Cochran. In June, 1868, was chief clerk in machine shops of U. P. R. R., at Omaha. In February, 1869, he was transferred at his own request to the general ticket office, and in April, 1880, was appointed ticket auditor. Was Vice-Grand of the I. O. O. F., in Lowell, Mass., in 1855. Same year he became a member of the A., F. & A. M., 3rd degree. Took the Chapter degree in Milan, Ind., in 1858; Council degree at Aurora, Ind., in 1865. Became Knight Templar at Aurora, Ind., 1867; is at present Grand Commander of Knights Templars for the state of Nebraska. In December, 1877, joined the Knights of Honor and has since been Grand Reporter, and Grand Dictator of that Order in the State. In 1879 joined the "Royal Arcanum," and is Past Regent. Has been a member of the Board of Education, Omaha, for five years and is now its President. In 1880 joined the Knights and Ladies of Honor, and ranks as Past Protector. Married Miss Mary Jane Gray, of Wilton, N. H. August 27, 1860. She died April 25, 1881. Had seven children, three living, Annie G., Hattie B., and Charles H.

LOUIS T. LONGPREY, manufacturer of carriages, buggies, etc., was born in Canada in 1839, served three years at trade of carriagemaker, in Montreal, Canada, and one year in Detroit, Mich. Then carried on the carriage factory at Bay City, Mich., for three years, and for ten years at Detroit, Misc. He came to Nebraska, 1877, located in Saunders County and in company with his brother, John Longprey, ran a railroad boarding house for three months; came to Omaha in 1877 during the month of September. January 2, 1978, he commenced his present business in a very small way, now employs seven men, and manufactures seventy-five carriages, buggies, etc., per annum. Mr. Longprey was married at Detroit, Mich., January 8, 1867, to Helen Peters, a native of Canada. They have three children, Mary L. A., Joseph A. E. and Joseph John Baptiste.

View
[INTERIOR OF RETAIL ESTABLISHMENT OF W. F. LORENZEN'S CIGAR MANUFACTORY.]

WILLIAM F. LORENZEN, manufacturer and dealer in cigars, was born in Germany in 1853, came to America in 1866, learned trade of cigarmaker at Davenport, Iowa, and was for some years employed at it in various Eastern and Western States. He conducted a cigar factory from 1875 to 1877 at Newton, Iowa. Came to Nebraska in 1877 and located in Omaha. He brought his stock of cigars, etc., from Newton, Iowa and opened his present business which he has continued since. When he began business here he employed but one man; now gives employment to eight men and manufactures about 350,000 cigars per annum. Mr. Lorenzen was married in Omaha, in 1877, to Annie Schorr, a native of Germany. They have two daughters, Clara and Emma.

Portrait
[Portrait of Enos Lowe]

DR. ENOS LOWE was born in North Carolina, May 5, 1804. When he was about ten years of age his parents moved to the Territory of Indiana, and settled in Monroe County, near Bloomington. When he was quite young he began the study of medicine. After finishing his studies he began the practice of his chosen profession, and soon after, from resources obtained in his practice, he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, where, in due course of time, he graduated. He then practiced at Greencastle, and some time afterward went to Rockville, Ind., where he continued practice for a number of years, during which time he was a member of the Indiana Legislature. In 1836 he made a trip to St. Louis, Mo., went up the Mississippi River to Burlington, Iowa, then known as Flint Hills, on a tour of observation, and in the fall of 1837, he moved to that point and began practice of medicine, where he remained until 1847. During his life there he was a member of two conventions for framing a State Government, and was president of the second one. He received from President VanBuren, in 1847, the appointment of Receiver of Public Moneys, at the land office in Iowa City, where he removed the same year and held the position four years. About that time he received the appointment of Collector of Customs at Puget Sound, which he declined. In 1853, he was appointed Receiver of Public Moneys, at Kanesville (now Council Bluffs) whither he removed; held this position two years and resigned. In the meantime, he and others succeeded in organizing the Council Buffs & Nebraska Ferry Co., of which he was president. He assisted in laying out the town of Omaha, but virtue of a treaty with the Omaha Indians, and being president of the latter company, he was sent to purchase a ferry boat, which he succeeded in doing at Alton, Ill., the boat was named the Marion, and was the first ferry boat on the upper waters of the Missouri River. It arrived in September, 1853. The surveying, mapping, and laying out of the town, public highways, and claim lands, was done by A. D. Jones, under Dr. E. Lowe's supervision as president of the Ferry Co. During the war of the Rebellion he entered the service with the First Nebraska Regiment, as surgeon, in the department of Gen. Curtis, in Missouri;--but he was soon transferred, by the solicitation of his son, Gen. W. W. Lowe, to his command, where he remained on duty as Brigade and Division Surgeon, until his health became so impaired that, by recommendation of the son, his resignation was accepted, when he returned to his home in Omaha. At the organization of the Old Settlers' Association in 1866, he was made present, which position he held until his death. The Doctor took a prominent part as one of a committee to use their influence and exertions to prevent the U. P. R. R. bridge from being located elsewhere than at Omaha, during which service he was obliged to make several trips to Boston and New York City for the purpose of inducting the railroad authorities to locate the bridge at Omaha. The Doctor devoted all of his time and energies to the promotion of the general interest of Omaha and the trans-Missouri country, continuing an active worker in the community as long as his health and strength permitted. He also took a prominent part in the organization of the Omaha Gas Company, of which he was made president; also took part in the Omaha & Southwestern Railway Co., of which he was a director; also in the organization of the State Bank of Nebraska and was vice-president, and in the early days of Omaha, long before the U. P. R. R. was thought of, he, and others as incorporators, succeeded in having an Act passed by the Territorial Legislature, approved March 1, 1855, to incorporate the Platte Valley & Pacific Railway Co., for the purpose of constructing and building a railroad, single or double track, from the Missouri River at Omaha City, and also a telegraph line, up the North Platte River, and on the north side of the south fork; and from a memoir written by Dr. Lowe, this sentence was taken: "Let it be remembered that this great work (a Pacific Railway) was actually commenced within the corporate limits of Omaha, in February, 1860." He was one of the incorporators of the Council Bluffs and St. Joseph R. R., in May 1858. "The character of Dr. Lowe, like his noble and stately form, dignified and commanding, never tainted by infidelity to public, or private duty; always generous in service to friends and the community; wise in counsel as a citizen, an singularly gifted as a physician, with insight into disease, and a pre-vision of the thousand forms of its malignity, and of the issues of life and death, which wait upon it; is of right entitled to the veneration and perpetual remembrance of all who have made their homes in the city of Omaha, and among whose founders he was one of the first, for twenty-five years of its history. After the full period allotted to man on earth, full of years and of honor, he laid himself down to rest in death." Dr. Lowe died in the afternoon of February 12, 1880. His wife died at Burlington, Iowa, February 19, 1870, She was born February 26, 1810, in Mercer County, Ky. Her maiden name was Kitty Ann Read. The Doctor and she were married July 22, 1828, in Putnam County, Ind. They had only one son, W. W. Lowe now of Omaha. Neb.

WILLIAM W. LOWE was born in Greencastle, Putnam Co., Ind., October 12, 1831. He was a cadet at the U. S. Military Academy from July 1, 1849 to July 1, 1853, when he graduated, and was promoted in the army to Brevet Second Lieutenant of Dragoons, July 1, 1853. He served at the Cavalry School at Carlisle, Pa., 1853-54; in garrison at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., 1853-54, on recruiting service; 1855, in garrison at Jefferson Barracks, Mo.; 1855, on frontier duty at Camp Coope; Second Lieutenant Second Cavalry, March 3, 1855; Texas, 1855-56; Fort Inge, Texas, 1856-57; Fort Mason, Texas, 1857, engaged in scouting against Indians; First Lieutenant Second Cavalry, December 1, 1856-57; Fort Mason, Texas, 1857-58; Adjutant Second Cavalry, May 31, 1858, to May 9, 1861; scouting 1858; Fort Belknap, Texas, 1858-59; Camp Cooper, Texas, 1859-60, and scouting, 1860; on leave of absence, 1860-61; on frontier duty at Fort Mason, Texas, 1861, and in garrison at Carlisle Barracks, Pa., 1861. Served during the war, 1861-66, in the defense of Washington, D. C.; May 6, to December 10, 1861, participating (Captain Second Cavalry, May 9, 1861, Fifth Cavalry, August 3, 1861) in the Manassas campaign of July, 1861, and engaged in the battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861; in organizing his regiment, December, 1861; February, 1862, in Tennessee; Colonel Fifth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, January 1, 1862; campaign February, 1862, being engaged in the attack and capture of Fort Donelson; February 13-15, 1862, in command of Forts Donelson, Henry and Heiman; February, 1862, to March, 1863, being engaged in repulsing several attacks upon the works; in cavalry operations in Middle Tennessee, North Alabama and Georgia, commanding brigade or division; March, 1863, to July, 1864, being Brevet Major October 9, 1863, for gallant and meritorious services in cavalry engagements near Chickamauga, Ga.; engaged in several skirmishes; Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, December 15, 1863, for gallant and meritorious service in the cavalry action near Huntsville, Ala.; remounting the cavalry of the Army of the Cumberland at Nashville, Tenn., July, 1864, to January 24, 1865; mustered out of volunteer service, January 24, 1865; at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., as Acting Assistant Provost Marshal, General Superintendent of Volunteer Recruiting Service and Chief Mustering and Disbursing Officer, Kansas, Nebraska, Dakota and Colorado, February 14, 1865, to July 30, 1865; Brevet Colonel U. S. Army, Brevet Brigadier General U. S. Volunteers, March 13, 1865, for gallant and meritorious service during the Rebellion; (Brevet Brigadier General U. S. Army, March 13, 1865, for gallant and meritorious services in the field during the Rebellion): on leave of absence, July 21, 1866; to Major Sixth Cavalry, July 31, 1866. Service after close of war at Nashville, Tenn., on Pacific coast and New Orleans; resigned June 23, 1869. He came to Omaha, Neb., on leave of absence in 1868. He settled in Omaha in May, 1868, where he has since made his home. Soon after his location in Omaha he began the organization of the Omaha Smelting, Separating and Refining Company. He also immediately engaged in various mining pursuits in Utah, Idaho and Nevada. In the summer of 1880 he organized a company and erected smelting works on the Solomon River in Idaho, which are now in operation. He also assisted in the organization and became director of the Omaha Gas Company. He also became interested in the Omaha & Southwestern Railroad Company and built the second ten miles of that road, then terminating at the Platte River. He was one of the incorporators of the State Bank of Nebraska, and was one of the directors of the same for some time. He was a member of the Board of Regents who erected the High School, and was a member of the building committee. He was also one of the original organizers and a member of the company which erected the Grand Central Hotel, and was chairman of the building committee. He was a member and director of the old Council Bluffs & Nebraska Ferry Company. His father, Enos Lowe, assisted to lay out the city of Omaha, in 1853.

JESSE LOWE settled at Omaha in 1853, making an independent claim, and commenced dealing in real estate, which he followed during his life time in Omaha. He named the city from a tribe of Indians who were in possession of the land at that time. No person was permitted by the Indian agent, Major Gatewood, to trade with them, but Jesse Lowe. They looked with distrust upon the claiming of their land by white men and until their title was extinguished levied tribute upon the claimants. On the 28th of May, 1854, the first claim club was organized and the Indian title to the land extinguished by the United States, and it became a Territory. Jesse Lowe was admitted to practice law, having studied law with Gen. Tilghman Howard, in Indiana. He was the first Mayor of the city and intimately connected with all the early settlement and financial interests of the country. Mr. Lowe erected the first bank building in Omaha, which was occupied by Thomas H. Benton and L. R. Tuttle, president and cashier. The building now stands on Twelfth and Farnam streets, occupied by Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., as a banking house. It was built with its foundation of stone brought from Southern Iowa, and rafted from the Iowa side of the river. It was commenced in the fall of 1854 and completed in April, 1855. This building, with some other improvements on Farnam street, made it the most important in value. The population of Omaha at that time was under 250 persons. There was difficulty in reaching the river from Council Bluffs and crossing on account of numerous lakes and sloughs which intervened, and it was a mere matter of doubt and speculation if the town anticipated would amount to anything of importance. On July 3, 1853, the persons interested in the claim crossed the river in skiffs from Council Bluffs. The low land was overflowed and it was intensely hot weather; their efforts were almost exhausted when two of them, the tallest men, Jesse Williams, of Iowa, and Jesse Lowe, waded from the sandbar and landed safely, and the others encouraged made their way with the skiff. They staked out their claims and before seven days had expired, Jesse Lowe had his man and mule team landed and at work. He erected a shanty, afterwards called "the Ranche," on his claim, now called "Oak Grove Farm," in the northwest part of the city. Jesse Lowe, during the Mexican war of 1847, was commissary of a Missouri volunteer regiment under Sterling Price. He was afterwards promoted to Paymaster and served from the beginning to the close of the war. He was born in Rowan County, N. C., March 11, 1814. His father, William Lowe, and his mother, maiden name Jane Blair, were both "Friends" in their religious views, and acted strictly in the education of their family. Their principles were both noble and good. Jesse was married July 3, 1856, in Burlington, N. J. to Sophia Happin, youngest daughter of Dr. George W. Happin, of Providence, R. I., at the summer residence of her sister Mrs. Frederick Brown, of Philadelphia. Dr. George W. Happin was the youngest son of Col. Benjamin Happin, a prominent Colonel in the Revolutionary war from Rhode Island. Mrs. Lowe was born in Providence, R. I., January 25, 1824. They have four children--Frederick Brown, Charlotte Augusta, now wife of Edwin Franklin Smythe, formerly from new Hampshire, now residing in Omaha, Jesse Jr., attending the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, N. Y., and Tilghman Howard, attending the Williston Seminary, at Easthampton, Mass. Mr. Lowe died April 3, 1868, in Omaha, Neb. He was a man universally respected, an excellent financier, shrewd in judgment, possessing noble principles to guide him, prominent in all works for the interests of his adopted city and its surrounding country. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, liberal in his views and contributing in some way to every denomination in the city.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

Chapter Contents      Part 1      Part 3

County Index