Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement|
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools
Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms
Plattsmouth: Early Settlement | City Government | Educational|
Religious | The Press
Plattsmouth (cont.): The Medical Profession | The Bar|
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests
5 ~ 8:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG
Weeping Water: Early Settlement | Organization | Educational|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Louisville: Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses|
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood: Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City
Biographical Sketches: Rock Bluff Precinct|
South Bend: Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches
Factoryville: Biographical Sketches|
Avoca: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Eight-Mile Grove Precinct
Biographical Sketches: |
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct
List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter
There is an Indian tradition that somewhere near the source of the river now known as the Weeping Water, there once dwelt a powerful but peaceful tribe, governed by sound laws, ruled over by a chief as mild tempered as he was valorous, whose warriors were as straight as their own arrows, as strong and fleet as the horses which they rode, whose maidens were lithe and lovely, their beauty far exceeding that possessed by any of the surrounding tribes. And it is further said that the fairest of these maidens was the chief's daughter--so fair that she captivated the heart and brain of the ruler of a still more powerful tribe upon the west, who asked her father for her, was refused, and finally succeeded in abducting the maiden while she was bathing with her companions in the deep, still lake adjacent to the village.
Pursuit was made, the lodges being left in charge of the women and the infirm. The chase was a long and hard one, and the result most disastrous, every man of the pursuers being killed in the fight that followed.
For three long days and nights those who had been left at the village waited, then started out in search of their fathers, husbands and lovers, to find them dead upon the plains; and, finding them, to weep so long that their falling tears formed a stream that still exists--Nehawka--the weeping water.
Upon the north bank of this river, about eighteen miles from its mouth and surrounded by hills and groves, stands the town of Weeping Water. Its first settler was Elam L. Flowers, who located in the vicinity in 1855, erecting a log house, afterward used for a dwelling, schoolhouse, church, warehouse, again a dwelling, and finally for a stable, being torn down by Dr. M. M. Butler, in 1875. In 1856, Philander and Hiram Cranney settled on the claim now occupied by Hon. F. M. Woolcott, building a sort of a house, half dug-out and half of poles, which they lived in until 1859, when they emigrated to Utah. Later, in 1856, and during the spring of 1857, there was a large immigration into the river counties of Nebraska, of which Cass County and this section thereof received its full share. The immigrants were of two classes--those who had failed or expected to fail in the East, and moved West in hopes of retrieving their shattered fortunes, and those who, with a small capital, came as speculators, laying out paper cities and buying and selling claims. This latter class surveyed and platted three towns on the north bank of the Weeping Water--Grand Rapids, whose site comprised 320 acres of land; Weeping Water, adjoining it upon the west, and Caledonia upon the north, the latter two of these comprising 160 acres each. Of these three, Weeping Water was incorporated by special act approved February 13, 1857. None of them were ever organized, the present town occupying the site of Grand Rapids, and being the result of a new survey and incorporation in later years.
In 1857, Messrs. Fair and Nace commenced the erection of a dam and grist-mill, a project that was afterward abandoned by them, the incomplete structure being sold to William and Eugene Reed, who finished it, the first corn being ground in the fall of 1861, and, a bolt being put in, the first flour made in the spring of 1862. William Reed retiring in 1864, the firm was changed to Clinton & Reed at that time, and in 1869 Samuel Clinton, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, purchased Eugene Reed's interest; being at present sole proprietor. During the period from 1857 to 1866, nothing of material interest occurred, save as is related in the general history of the county. In the latter year, the first store in the village was opened by Willis Clarke, in the building afterward used by George Lambing, the blacksmith, and now occupied as a wagon shop. In 1867, he disposed of his establishment to Willis J. Horton, the firm subsequently being Horton & Jenks. In the spring of 1868, Reed & Bradley built the store building now occupied by Reed Bros., opening the same for business on July 15 following, and shortly after this Horton & Jenks moved into a structure erected by them on the next square east, now occupied by Fleming & Race.
In 1869, the town was platted by E. L. Reed, Samuel Clinton, F. M. Woolcott and Geary Treat, the almost exclusive proprietors of the half section upon which it was situated. On December 7, 1870, it was incorporated by the County Commissioners under the general law. On December 28, of the same year, an organization was effected by the election of William C. Jenks, E. L. Reed, L. F. Reed, J. W. Thomas and P. E. Beardsley as Trustees, the first and second of these being chosen Chairman and Clerk respectively. On March 25, 1871, these Trustees met and adopted a constitution and by-laws for the town government, the most important provisions being that the town government should be vested in five Trustees empowered to appoint a Constable, Assessor, Collector, Street Commissioner and Treasurer, and also to impose fines, not to exceed $100 for each offense, for any breach of the peace or infringement of the town ordinances. The first of these ordinances was adopted May 8, 1872, providing for the granting of a license for the sale of malt, spirituous and vinous liquors to any person complying with certain specified conditions, as to the presentation of a petition signed by ten freeholders, the filing of a bond in the sum of $1,000 that the applicant would not keep a disorderly house or permit gambling, and the payment of $100 to the Town Treasurer for the school fund. In 1872, George Lambing superseded P. E. Beardsley as Trustee, no further change being made in the Board until 1875, when William H. Reed and A. S. Frink were elected in place of E. L. and L. F. Reed. In 1876, these two and George Lambing were superseded by J. Chase, H. T. Woods and A. O. Ashley. No Assessor's report is to be found upon the town records until June 5, of this year, it being as follows: Real estate, $13,925; personal property, $24,997; total taxable property, $38,922. Upon this report being received, a tax of 10 mills on the dollar was forthwith levied for town purposes.
In 1877, A. Taylor, D. D. Johnson and James Clizbe were elected, and W. C. Jenks and J. W. Thomas re-elected Trustees. In 1878, all of these, with the exception of D. D. Johnson, went out of office, their places being filled by H. G. Race, P. S. Barnes, E. L. Reed and J. Chase. In 1879, D. C. Fleming and George W. Lambing succeeded H. G. Race and P. S. Barnes. In 1880, no change was made, and in 1881 the present incumbents elected, as follows: Calvin Russell, H. G. Race, George W. Lambing, J. W. Marshall and P. S. Barnes, Calvin Russell being Chairman of the Board, and H. G. Race, Clerk.
The original town site comprised something less than three hundred and twenty acres. In addition to this, what was known as the Fleming & Race Addition was surveyed in July, 1876, and formally annexed August 29, 1881.
A post office was established at Weeping Water in 1858, with William Young as Postmaster. His successors have been as fellows: 1859 to 1860, Hiram Cranney; 1860 to 1863, William C. Jenks; 1863 to 1868, E. L. Reed; 1868 to 1879; L. F. Reed; succeeded by E. L. Reed, who is the present incumbent
The first school within the present limits of Weeping Water was taught during the summer of 1859 by Mrs. Celestia Bellows, who received therefor the sum of $12 a month. For about six years a private house was used as a school room, until, in 1865, the citizens by donations of labor and money erected a stone building north of the present site, for school purposes. This was used until 1874, when a large frame building was constructed at a cost of $3,000, that amount having been voted in bonds in July, 1873.
The school at present is in charge of Harlow Bellows, who, with two female assistants, teaches an average attendance of 150 scholars.
The First Congregational Church of Weeping Water was organized on November 18, 1860, with seven members, under the ministerial charge of William Catlin. Of these members four had previously belonged to the Methodist or Disciples' Churches. The services were, for several years, held in dwellings, and, during one summer, in a grove just outside the city limits. A schoolhouse being completed in 1865, it was used by the society as a place of worship until 1871, when its own church edifice was finished, the corner-stone of which had been laid June 18, 1870. This is a large and fine building, constructed of white limestone, with a seating capacity of 250.
Mr. Catlin remained in charge of the church for five months only, being superseded by M. F. Platt, who retained the pastorate until July, 1866. The ministers succeeding him have been as follows: Frederick Alley, July, 1866, to May, 1870; Simon Barrows, July, 1870, to November, 1873; M. F. Platt, November, 1873, to March, 1874; James B. Chase, Jr., March, 1874, to August, 1878; Charles F. Graves, June, 1880, to date. The present membership of the church is about one hundred and thirty.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Weeping Water was organized in the fall of 1868, by Rev. A. J. Swartz, who remained with his charge one year. The society first worshiped in the stone schoolhouse, built in 1865, continuing to occupy it until its own building was completed in 1873. The corner-stone of this was laid July 1, 1871, and the dedicatory service held in January, 1874. It is a substantial stone structure, with a seating capacity of 300, and costing about $8,000. Succeeding Rev. A. J. Swartz, the ministers in charge have been as follows: Revs. J. B. Maxfield, Mr. Smith, A. L. Folden, David Marquette, E. Wilkinson, John Gallager, P. S. Mather and George H. Wehn, the last of whom is the present incumbent. The membership in January, 1882, was about one hundred.
The Sunday school in connection with this church was organized in 1871, with William C. Jenks as Superintendent. Since then the office has been filled by Mrs. Sarah Jenks from 1872 to 1873; D. C. Fleming, 1873 to 1876; C. M. Shelton, 1876 to 1878; W. K. Lukeborough, 1878 to 1879; D. C. Fleming, 1879 to 1882, and S. D. Fitchie, 1882. The school is in a very flourishing condition, with an average attendance of sixty-five.
I. O. O. F., Prairie Lodge, No. 25, was organized in Otoe County about eight miles southwest of Weeping Water, the charter being granted March 24, 1871. The charter members were John Young, William H. Young, Charles W. Hays, William H. Beck and J. R. Young, and the first officers as follows: John Young, N G., William H. Young, V. G.; C. W. Hays, Secretary; William H. Beck, Treasurer. On January 10, 1874, the lodge was removed to Weeping Water, and the following officers elected: G. Dolbow, N. G.; M. M. Butler, V. G.; G. W. Lambing, Secretary; J. R. Young, Treasurer. The society was organized in a house built upon the open prairie, continuing to occupy it until the change was made to Weeping Water, where rooms were fitted up for lodge purposes over a business house. It is now constructing a fine stone building at a cost of $6,000. The present officers are: J. T. Marshall, N. G.; F. S. Klepser, V. G.; B. C. Yeomans, Secretary; G. S. Barry, Treasurer. Trustees, D. T. Dudley, S. A. Ripley and M. M. Butler.
I. O. G. T., Weeping Water Lodge, No. 3, was instituted December 20, 1880, with F. F. Rexford, W. C.; Mrs. A. E. Mather, W. V.; Miss Helen Ashmun, Recording Secretary; F. X. Brossmer, Financial Secretary. The present officers, elected in November, 1881, are as follows: S. W. Coglizer, W. C.; Florence Coglizer, W. V.; Rev. A. C. Graves, P. W. C.; A. Woodford, Secretary; Grace Clizbe, Financial Secretary. This lodge is the last one of several organized in Weeping Water at various times, all of which have done good work while in existence. The temperance element is large and enthusiastic, and the present lodge ably sustained, and with a good membership.
G. A. R., John Bishop Post, No. 61, was organized April 7, 1881, with the following officers: Commander, M. F. Waite; Adjutant, C. A. Webster; Officer of the Day, S. G. Coglizer; Senior Vice Commander, F. F. Rexford; Surgeon, J. W. Thomas; Chaplain, Charles Thorngate. The present Commander, elected in January, 1882, is S. W. Beardsley, and the Officer of the Day, D. D. Johnson, the other incumbencies being retained by the officers previously elected.
Weeping Water Council of R. A.--A Council of the Royal Arcanum was instituted January 17, 1882, with eleven members, and officers as follows: Charles Philpot, Regent; George W. Barrett, V. R.; Bird Critchfield, P. R.; James Stockham, Secretary; Lewis Foltz, Treasurer.
The Cass County Register was published by Richard Claiborne from September, 1875, to January, 1876; a period of nearly five months then ensuing, during which Weeping Water had no paper of its own. In April, 1881, J. A. Matthews commenced the publication of the Cass County Recorder, a six-column quarto, which suspended publication in 1882, and was succeeded by a vigorous Republican newspaper, edited and managed by Keithley Bros.
In 1869, Samuel Clinton, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, purchased the mill formerly owned by William and Eugene Reed; the early history of which has been given. The mill is a very fine stone structure, three stories in height, with three run of buhrs, and a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day.
On August 1, 1880, the firm of Reed Bros commenced a general banking business, under the name and title of the Weeping Water Bank. This institution became incorporated February 1, 1882, the name being changed to the Bank of Weeping Water, with E. L. Reed, President, and R. S. Wilkinson, Cashier, these, with William H. Reed and Helen Reed, constituting the Board of Directors. The capital stock was $25,000. A few months later, this bank was consolidated with a branch of the First National Bank of Plattsmouth. At about the same time, still another bank was opened, a branch of the Cass County Bank of Plattsmouth.
Weeping Water has, in 1882, seven general stores, two hardware stores, three drug stores, one jewelry store, two boot and shoe stores, two millinery stores, two meat markets, two harness shops, two wagon shops, four blacksmith shops, two livery stables, one barber shop. In addition to these, there are two agricultural implement warehouses, doing a good business, and two large lumber yards. Two hotels, the Missouri Pacific House, and Kings Hotel, are in successful operation, a third one to cost $20,000 being contemplated.
The amount of retail business transacted in Weeping Water during the year 1881 aggregated about $450,000, this figure including a lumber trade of $40,000, and one of feed and provisions amounting to $50,000.
The first lawyer to locate in Weeping Water was J. E. Pickering, who remained, however, less than a year, leaving in 1879. The profession is now represented by four attorneys, of whom B. A. Gibson claims seniority as to settlement.
The medical profession has five representatives, the first to locate in Weeping Water being Dr. J. W. Thomas, now of Thomas & Hall, who entered Cass County December 10, 1867.
In 1881, the Missouri & Pacific Railroad Company commenced building a line of road from Atchison, Kan., to Omaha, Neb., traversing Cass County from north to south, and asking no aid from the county nor from the town of Weeping Water, except as to the latter the right of way, and depot grounds.
Weeping Water had a population, according to the census of 1880, of just 400. Since then the prospect of railroad facilities, its own natural advantages, and the enterprise of its citizens, have caused a remarkable influx, the number of actual residents being estimated in January, 1882, as about six hundred and fifty. Its trade covers a territory of nearly one hundred and fifty square miles of the richest farming lands in the county, and its future can only be a bright one.
JOSEPH M. BEARDSLEY, of J. M. Beardsley & Co., lumber, coal, etc., was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., in 1836. He was engaged in school teaching in that State and Illinois until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1859, locating in Weeping Water. He was for some months employed in mill and dam building. During the winter of 1859-60, he conducted a saw-mill in Mills County, Iowa. Returning to Weeping Water, he farmed until early in 1862, when he enlisted in the First Nebraska Infantry, and served three years and six months. Subsequently returning to his farm, he conducted the same until 1869, when he went to Plattsmouth, Neb., having been elected County Clerk. He filled the office for one term. Was then Clerk in the office of the United States Surveyor General at Plattsmouth for about four years, and was also from 1872 to 1875 in real estate business in company with T. Pollock, after which he again returned to his farm in Weeping Water, to which he gave his whole attention, until March, 1880, when he purchased one-half interest in the hardware business of C. M. Chase at this place, and on July 15, 1881, he also entered into partnership with E. L. Reed, and opened out in lumber, coal, etc. Mr. Beardsley was married in Cass County, near Weeping Water, August 21, 1867, to Charlotte E. Klepser, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children--Abbie I., Charles P., Nellie E., Frederick and Eva.
MICAJAH M. BUTLER, eclectic physician and surgeon, was born in Hancock County, Ind., November 15, 1845. He read and studied medicine and surgery with his brother, Dr. B. W. Butler, for some fourteen years. Subsequently attended the Eclectic College at Cincinnati, Ohio, for two years. Dr. B. came to Nebraska in 1870; located at Plattsmouth, and was engaged in the practice of his profession in company with Dr. W. H. Schildknecht, until he came to Weeping Water in August, 1873, since which time he has devoted himself to the practice of his profession in this locality. The Doctor was elected Chairman of the Republican County Central Committee in October, 1881. He was married at Weeping Water August 19, 1874, to Stella A. Paine, of Painesville, Ohio. They have two living children--Miss Charrie A. and Agnes E. They lost one daughter, Mattie Rawls, who died October 25, 1880, aged two years and eight months.
TIMOTHY CLARK, farmer, stock-grower and stock-dealer, Section 18, Town 10, Range 11, P. O. Weeping Water. Mr. Clark was born in Washington County, Penn., September 6, 1820. When but six months of age his father died, leaving a brother and two sisters and a widowed mother very poor in worldly goods, and unable to keep the family together. At the age of six years, Timothy was taken by a neighbor, where he lived until the age of fourteen, when he considered himself capable of taking care of himself, and did so from that date. When nineteen years of age, he went to Ohio, from there to Virginia, and then returned to his native State, remaining there six months, going to Schuyler County, Ill., in 1842. He came all the way by steamer from Pittsburgh, via St. Louis, making the trip in six weeks, frequently detained on sand bars for a day or more by reason of low water. A Rev. Mr. Clark was on board bound for the same destination, who held religious services on the boat each Sabbath. The year 1843 was the time set for the end of the world, and the negro boat hands constantly sang the refrain, "O you can't stand the fire of 1843!" When Mr. Clark arrived at Illinois, he opened a shop and went to work at his trade, that of tailor, which he followed for a year, when, with James P. Green, he went into the general merchandise trade. At the end of six months, he thought it advisable to get out of the firm, and he sold out to his partner, who failed in six months, and Mr. Clark lost everything. He then went to Beardstown, Ill., and opened a tailor shop, where he remained a year, when he moved to Fremont, Ill., where he plied his trade for three years, when he was obliged to leave the shop on account of ill health. He bought a farm and went to farming. In 1870, he came to Nebraska, landing in Nebraska City March 4. He purchased his present farm containing 500 acres, and has turned his attention largely to raising stock and hogs, up to the present time, feeding the pure breed Poland-China hogs, known as the "Platte Valley Farm" stock. Mr. Clark has also bred many thoroughbred Short-Horn cattle. Mr. Clark was married in Rushville, Ill., January 29, 1845, to Miss Anna Benninger, by Rev. John Clark. She was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., May 27, 1817. They have four children--Thomas King, born in Tremont. Ill., June 6, 1850; John William, in Tremont, January 17, 1852; Edith, in Tremont, June 2, 1854; Timothy Byron, in Spring Lake, Ill., April 24, 1858, and Rebecca K., June 24, 1847, and died in Spring Lake April 29, 1856. Mr. Clark served one term of three years in the office of the County Commissioner. Mr. Clark and wife, though advanced in years are both well-preserved in mind and body, and contemplate, at an early day, disposing of the fine "Platte Valley Farm," and retiring from active life to live on their well-earned competency of worldly goods.
JAMES CLIZBE, farmer, P. O. Weeping Water, was born in Wayne County, Mich., in 1836, and came to Nebraska in 1858, landing at Bellevue. He followed freighting across the plains for about six years, after which was engaged in conducting the Cascade Mills near here for some years, and also for two years followed mercantile business at Weeping Water, and since then farming. He owns about 240 acres of land, and conducts a dairy in connection with his farming pursuits. He was married in Cass County, in the fall of 1865, to Amelia C. Doane. They have six children--Grace E., James L., May B., Edith D., George E., Jessie E.
SOLOMON DEWEY, of Schluntz & Dewey, dealers in general merchandise, Weeping Water, was born in Coshocton, Ohio, January 4, 1852, and at the age of eleven years removed to Hadley, Mich., with his parents. They resided on a farm, and when Mr. Dewey was not actively employed in attending to his duties on the farm he taught school. He came to Nebraska, September 6, 1878, and located at Louisville, Cass County. Residing there, he was engaged for some five months in teaching school at Cedar Creek; then was for eight months engaged in furniture business in company with his brother, Nelson Dewey, at Louisville, and also taught school there during three months of that period. In August, 1879, he joined Christian Schluntz, and opened a general store at Cedar Creek; they carried on the business there until December 15, 1881, when they moved the stock to Weeping Water. Mr. D. is the resident partner. Mr. Schluntz resides at Cedar Creek, where he is engaged in milling.
SAMUEL D. FITCHIE, of Fitchie & Ashmun, dealers in hardware, stoves, etc., Weeping Water, was born in Allegheny City, Penn., September 25, 1839; was employed there for a short time as clerk in mercantile business. He came to Nebraska in October, 1855. His business life really began when, at twenty years of age, he entered the employ of a mercantile firm at Denver, Colo.; he continued with them, as a clerk, for about two years, after which he began on his own account, but only carried on the business a few months, being burnt out in the great Denver fire, after which he was again engaged in mercantile business, this time at Fort McPherson, Neb., and also in freighting, for about six years. Subsequently engaged in freighting at Cheyenne, W. T., for a few months. He then purchased the merchandise stock of Howley, White & Co., of Nebraska City, and carried on that business for a space of three years, under style of White & Fitchie. Mr. Fitchie's health failing, his next venture was in farming and feeding cattle, remaining in that some five years, residing near Nebraska City. In the fall of 1878, he was appointed Government Store-keeper, at Omaha, Neb., remaining in that capacity some two years, then at Nebraska City, in the spring of 1881. He engaged in the grain business, in company with James Berkley, at that place, and is still associated with him in that business. Mr. F. came to Weeping Water in the fall of 1881, with the intention of locating an elevator, but instead purchased the interest of James A. Schermerhorn, in firm of Schermerhorn & Ashmun, and the business is now carried on as above. Mr. F. was at one time Probate Judge of Lincoln County, Neb. He was married at Fort McPherson, Neb., in 1865, to Ruhamah H. Baker, a native of Ohio. They have seven children--Ingletta, James R., William C., Harry E., Leila A., Samuel B. and Kate.
FLEMING & RACE, dealers in general merchandise. D. C. Fleming, the senior member of this firm, was born in Greenville, Darke County, Ohio, March 15, 1845. When quite young he removed, with his parents, to Hardin County, Iowa, and was employed there at farming; also taught school until he came to Nebraska in 1869. He was then for some months employed in teaching district school near Rock Bluff, Cass County. In 1870, he purchased a farm in Avon Precinct, Cass County, and was engaged in conducting the same for over two years. In the spring of 1873, he came to Weeping Water, and entered into hardware business in company with M. E. Woods. This firm continued in business only one year. In May, 1874, Mr. Fleming joined Charles Kimball in general merchandise business, and on September 10, 1874, Mr. Kimball disposed of his interest to H. G. Race, since which time the business has been conducted under the above style. Mr. Fleming was for several years a member of the Town Board of Trustees, and also School Director for some years. H. G. Race, of this firm, was born in England December 28, 1845; came to America in 1859, residing in Hardin County, Iowa; was engaged in farming until 1871, when he removed to Utah, and was for two years engaged in mining. Mr. Race came to Nebraska in 1874, locating in Weeping Water; he shortly afterward joined Mr. Fleming in present business. He has been Clerk of the Town Board of Trustees since April 1, 1881.
WILLIAM D. GIBBON, physician and surgeon, Weeping Water, was born in Pembrookeshire, South Wales, November 12, 1850. He attended the Pharmaceutical College, at that place, for some three and a half years, then at St. Mary's College, Paddington, London, England, for some eighteen months. He came to America in 1871, located at St. Louis, Mo., and was a student at St. Louis Medical College for one year. In March, 1873, he came to Weeping Water, Neb., and has followed the practice of his profession since, and since 1879 has also been engaged in dealing quite extensively in real estate. The Doctor was married at Weeping Water, in February, 1874, to Julia E. Jenks, a native of Illinois, but came to this State, with her father, in 1857. They have one son--William D., Jr.
BENJAMIN A. GIBSON, law office, real estate, etc., Weeping Water, was born in Alstead, Cheshire County, N. H., February 5, 1857. He was educated at St. Johnsbury Academy, Vermont, and Appleton Academy, New Ipswich, N. H. Subsequently he read law with Edmund L. Cushing, ex-Chief Justice of the State of New Hamsphire, during 1876, 1877 and part of 1878. Coming to Nebraska May 21, 1878, was engaged in traveling through the State, finally settling in Nebraska City, early in 1879; he read with M. L. Hayward, of that city, and was admitted to the bar in September, 1879, after which he practiced law there until December, 1881, when he came to Weeping Water and opened a law and real estate office, in partnership with J. B. Meikle. Mr. Gibson is also a Notary Public, having been appointed November 16, 1881.
REV. CHARLES FRANCIS GRAVES, present pastor of the Congregational Church of Weeping Water, was born in the town of Burke, Franklin County, N. Y., July 15, 1845. He began to work his own way in life at a very early age, and, in order to find suitable employment, went to Burlington, Vt., while still so young that this place has always been home to him. For a few years he drifted about rather aimlessly, worked on a farm near Burlington awhile, then in a wholesale liquor store in Boston, then served nearly a year in the war of the rebellion, in the Second New Hampshire Volunteers; was sent home hopelessly ill with consumption; finally recovered, and went back to Burlington, and then settled down to fitting himself for his chosen life work, teaching, working on a farm in summer and teaching school in winter. While fitting for his profession in Essex Academy, Essex, Vt., he was converted, mainly through the influence of the preceptress, and, after long and prayerful consideration, finally determined to leave his chosen profession, and fit himself for the work of the ministry. While still at Essex Academy, he began his preparatory course, which he finished at Underhill Academy, Underhill, Vt., in 1870, and entered the University of Vermont, at Burlington, Vt., in the autumn of that year. He graduated with his class in 1874, his standing procuring him admission into that most honorable body, the Phi Beta Kappa Society. For one year after leaving college, he taught in the Vermont Episcopal Institute, a military school near Burlington, and then bade farewell to a profession he has always honored next to his chosen life work. In the fall of 1875, he entered Yale Theological Seminary at New Haven, Conn., and spent the next summer in preaching, under the auspices of the A. H. M. S., in Greenwood and Waverly, Neb. Having organized the present Congregational Church at the latter place, he returned to the seminary with the determination to devote himself to missionary work. In May, 1877, he was licensed to preach by the New Haven West Association, and was graduated in May, 1878, in regular course, having been chosen by his class for one of the commencement orations. In June, 1878, he took charge of the First Congregational Church of Sutton, Clay County, Neb., and was ordained by a council called by the church for this purpose in March, 1879. In June of this year he married Miss L. S. Merwin, of New Haven, Conn., and in June, 1880, he received and accepted a call to the First Congregational Church of Weeping Water, of which church he is still pastor.
HENRY HUBBARD, farmer, P. O. Weeping Water, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in October, 1834, and reared on a farm until eighteen years of age. He then went to Michigan, where for a year he followed milling, and was for three years engaged in same capacity in McHenry County, Ill. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1859, remained for a short time at this place and went to Pike's Peak, Colo., and followed mining and ranching for two years, off and on. Returning, he ran a saw-mill for a year or so, and afterward conducted Reed Bros.' Mill for about eighteen months. In the spring of 1864, he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served thirteen months. In 1866, he built a saw-mill near here, and carried it on for three years. He then settled on his present farm and has given his attention to conducting the same since. In 1873, he again tried milling, and followed it for three or four years. He has 295 acres of land and considerable live stock. Mr. Hubbard was married in McHenry County, Ill., in 1865, to Mary J. Broadley. They have five children--John, Frank, Maud, Annie and Harry.
JOHN MARSHALL & SON, manufacturers and dealers in boots and shoes. This firm does an exclusive boot and shoe business, and is the only firm in this place that confines itself strictly to this business. When Mr. M. first began in the business in 1872, it was with a stock of about $100. In 1877, the firm erected a new business house, and largely increased their trade. They now carry a stock of some $4,000. John Marshall was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1830. He learned the trade of shoemaker, there serving an apprenticeship of six years. He carried on business there in boots and shoes for many years, and was also engaged in the grocery and provision business for some fifteen years. He emigrated to America in 1872, remaining a few months in Atchison, Kan. He came to Nebraska in April, 1872; he located for a short time four miles south of the town of Weeping Water, removing into town in September, 1872. He purchased the shoemaking establishment of John Sanford. In 1877, he added a stock of boots and shoes, and in June, 1878, he admitted as a partner in the business his son, John T. Marshall, who is also a practical shoemaker. Mr. M. has eight other children--Alfred L., engaged in drug business at Avoca, Neb.; William, employed in the business; Paul J.; Charles, in a boot and shoe business at Syracuse, Neb.; Lucy, Mary Isabella, Louisa and Arthur at home.
JAMES B. MEIKLE, law office, real estate, etc., was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, February 13, 1857; resided with his parents on a farm, and began life, after receiving a good education, as a school teacher; was employed in that capacity about four years, and also farmed to a limited extent. In April, 1879, he commenced to read law with Messrs. Jones & Gilmer, attorneys, at Warren, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in the Supreme Court, Columbus, Ohio, in June, 1881. After prospecting for some time in Iowa, he came to Weeping Water in October, 1881, and began the practice of law, and in December following, associated himself in his present business with B. A. Gibson. Mr. Meikle was appointed Notary Public in December, 1881.
WILLIAM MICKLE, of Hatch & Mickle, clothing, fancy goods, boots and shoes, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, February 8, 1847. When quite young, he removed to Richland County, Ohio, with his parents; was employed there for some two years on the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad in various capacities. In 1864, he enlisted in the Eighty-second Ohio Infantry, and served one year. Subsequently he went to Macon County, Ill., and engaged in the cattle business for some two years; then farming in Washington County, Iowa, and also dealing in live stock until he came to Nebraska in March, 1881, locating in Cass County; he farmed until the following November, when he came to Weeping Water, and joined George Hatch and opened present business. This firm carries a stock of some $3,500, and is gradually working into a good trade.
S. W. ORTON, of Thomas & Orton, drugs, toilet goods, etc., was born in Washington County, N. Y., June 2, 1844. He studied medicine, chemistry, etc., for some three years at the Hudson River Institute, Claverack, N. Y. He enlisted in the spring of 1862, but was not accepted on account of his youth. He, however, enlisted in January, 1863, in the Thirteenth New York Infantry, and served one year. He again enlisted in January, 1864, in the Sixth New York Heavy Artillery, serving until September, 1865. Subsequently he went to Fulton County, N. Y., and was engaged in teaching school and farming for some months; then for three months in Bureau County, Ill. He came to Nebraska in 1867, located in Elmwood Precinct, Cass County, and was engaged in farming some fourteen years, and also taught school during twelve years of that period. He came to Weeping Water in September, 1881, and joined Dr. J. W. Thomas in this business. Mr. Orton was Assessor of Elmwood Precinct for some four years. He was married at Bellevue, Sarpy Co., Neb., December 31, 1868, to Sarah A. Burrows, a native of Michigan. They have three children--Mary, Allie and Chauncey.
JOSEPH F. PARKINS, dealer in agricultural implements, etc., was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1846; came West to Tama County, Iowa, in 1864, and while there learned the trade of plasterer and was employed at it. He came to Nebraska in 1869, located at Weeping Water and was for two years employed at his trade; subsequently he conducted the "Cascade Grist Mill," near this place. for two years in company with W. H. Detwiler, and afterward alone for four years. He entered into his present business in 1877, in company with P. S. Barnes, under the style of Barnes & Parkins. This firm dissolved March 1,1881, since which time Mr. Parkins has conducted the business alone. He has during the past year also been engaged in dealing in live stock. He deals in all kinds of farming and agricultural implements. Mr. Parkins was married at Weeping Water, January 18, 1872, to Mary J. Detwiler, a native of Wheeling, Va. They have two children--Clara E. and Earl D.
HON. EUGENE L. REED, of Reed Brothers, dealers in general merchandise, was born at Vienna, Trumbull Co., Ohio, in 1841. He removed in 1846, with his parents, to Iowa, and came to Nebraska in 1857. Locating in Kenosha, Cass County, he was for a few months engaged in the manufacture of brick. He then returned to his former home in Clay, Iowa, and was engaged, in company with his father, in conducting a saw-mill. In 1859, he returned to Nebraska, settling in Weeping Water, and, in company with his father, built a grist-mill, and was engaged in that business until he enlisted, in June, 1861, in Company A, First Nebraska Infantry, serving until discharged, on account of ill-health, October, 1862. Returning to Weeping Water, he was again engaged in conducting the grist-mill. His father, W. H. Reed, sold out his interest in the mill in 1864 to S. Clinton, and Mr. E. L. Reed continued the business with him until 1869, when he sold out. He then purchased the interest of P. E. Beardsley in the firm of Reed & Beardsley, and, in company with his brother, continued the business, under the style of Reed Bros. His brother, Lucius F. Reed, died January 28, 1880, but the business style remains unchanged. In August, 1880, the firm connected a banking establishment with their merchandise business. February 1,1882, the banking business was changed into an incorporated bank, with E. L. Reed as President. Mr. Reed was appointed Postmaster in 1863, and held it until 1868. His brother, L. F. Reed, was appointed Postmaster in 1869, and in 1879 Mr. E. L. Reed succeeded him, and has held the office since. In 1870, he was elected to the State Senate from Cass, Sarpy and Saunders Counties, to fill a vacancy, serving one year. Mr. Reed has been a partner in the firm of J. M. Beardsley & Co., lumber, etc., of this place, since August, 1881. He was married at Weeping Water, Neb., in November, 1864, to Anna Bellows, a native of Ashtabula, Ohio. They have three children--William E., Stella and Clinton.
J. A. REICHENBACH, of S. A. Reichenbach & Bro., dealers in lumber, lime, shingles, etc., Weeping Water; was born in Ashland, Ohio, in 1854. He learned the trade of tanner there, and was employed at it some eight years; afterward employed as a carpenter for about five years. He then went to Newton, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for about a year. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1877, located a farm near Wahoo, and was engaged in conducting the same for some two years, after which he opened a lumber-yard at Osceola, Neb., in company with his brother, S. A. Reichenbach. They carried on business there until July, 1881, when they removed it to Louisville, Cass County, and also opened a branch at Weeping Water, the latter place being in charge of J. A. Reichenbach.
FRED F. REXFORD, farmer, Weeping Water, was born in Franklin County, N. Y., September 14, 1839, and brought up as a farmer. On August 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Second Ohio Cavalry, and served four years. He came to Nebraska in April, 1866, purchased his present farm and has resided on it since. He owns 120 acres of land, and is to some extent engaged in raising stock. Mr. R. was married in Percival, Fremont County, Iowa, in March, 1868, to Susan Torrence; they have four children--Herbert, Willis, Ada and Charles.
JOHN S. TEWKSBURY, of Tewksbury & Kirkpatrick, millers, Weeping Water, was born in Sandwich, N. H., in February, 1828; when quite young, he removed to Massachusetts, where he was employed in railroading there and other places for some twenty years, principally in building and contracting work. He came to Nebraska in June, 1857, locating in Eight-Mile Grove Precinct, where he followed farming for some years, and was also for five years engaged in dealing in grain. In 1875, he removed to Weeping Water, built this mill, and has conducted the same since. In May, 1882, he admitted D. A. Kirkpatrick as a partner. Mr. T. is also quite extensively engaged in raising stock, and has 320 acres of farming land.
REV. GEORGE H. WEHN, pastor of M. E. Church, Weeping Water, was born at Johnstown, Penn., July 16, 1847. He attended the following institutions of learning: Mount Union College, Ohio, Allegheny College, Pennsylvania, and Garrett Biblical Institute, Evanston, Ill. He was licensed to exhort in December, 1869, at Beatrice, Neb., and to preach in July following. Was admitted to the Nebraska Conference at the spring session of 1871, on trial. Received into full connection and ordained Deacon at Plattsmouth. Neb., December 20, 1873, by Bishop Edward G. Andrews, and elected and ordained Elder at Lincoln, Neb., by Bishop Gilbert Haven, September 19, 1875. Mr. Wehn has labored in the M. E. Church at different places over the State since 1868. He was appointed and took charge of his present congregation in September, 1881. He was married at Urbana, Ill., September 6, 1871, to Miss Sue C. Hartzell, a native of Somerset, Penn.; they now have four children--Maggie, Daisy, Suie and Fleming Foster.
HON. FRANK M. WOLCOTT, real estate, was born in Summit County, Ohio, in 1837; came to Nebraska in the spring of 1857; locating in Cass County, he took up 160 acres of land in Center Precinct, and was for some seven years engaged in loaning money, dealing in real estate, etc. In 1864, he purchased his present residence and farm of 220 acres in the suburbs of. Weeping Water, and has since then been engaged in conducting the same. In 1870, he was appointed agent for the B. & M. R. R. Co.'s lands in Cass and Otoe Counties, and in connection with this he also carries on a general real estate business. He was elected a member of the Assembly from Cass County in the fall of 1870. He is also a Notary Public, having been appointed December 9, 1881. He was married in Summit County, Ohio, in the spring of 1864, to Henrietta M. Brooke, a native of New York City. They have three children--Lucy, Creda and Lloyd.