Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement|
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools
Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms
Plattsmouth: Early Settlement | City Government | Educational|
Religious | The Press
Plattsmouth (cont.): The Medical Profession | The Bar|
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests
5 ~ 8:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG
Weeping Water: Early Settlement | Organization | Educational|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Louisville: Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses|
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood: Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City
Biographical Sketches: Rock Bluff Precinct|
South Bend: Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches
Factoryville: Biographical Sketches|
Avoca: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Eight-Mile Grove Precinct
Biographical Sketches: |
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct
List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter
JOHN W. SHANNON, livery, feed and sale stables, was born in Colborne, Canada, in 1821. Learned the trade of tailor, and was employed at it for some years. Came to the United States in 1852, and was employed at his trade in the States of New York and Ohio until 1859, when he went to Pike's Peak, Colo., and was engaged in mining for a short time. On October 1, 1860, he went to Taos, N. M., recommended by Gov. Gilpin, of Colorado, to Kit Carson, Indian Agent at Taos; Mr. Shannon remained there only a short time; coming to Nebraska in 1861, he located in Plattsmouth, and was engaged in freighting until June, 1864; he then purchased an interest in the livery business of E. Buttery, continuing in partnership with him some twenty-six months; the concern then changed to Shannon & Orr, but the firm only lasted a few weeks, Mr. Shannon purchasing his partner's interest, and since then he has continued business alone. Mr. Shannon served the city as Alderman of the Third Ward during one term.
HERSHEY SHOPP (deceased) was born in Cumberland County, Penn., May 31, 1832; resided on a farm near Harrisburg until he with his parents removed West. He was engaged for some thirteen years in farming near Newcastle, Henry Co., Ind., where he was married to Miss Susan E. Horning, a native of Franklin County, Penn. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1865, and located in Plattsmouth Precinct; in 1867, he built a handsome brick residence, where Mrs. S. and their two sons--Franklin B. and Charles H.--still reside, on a farm two and one-half miles south of Plattsmouth. He was a strong supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and gave substantial support to the same during his life. He died in great peace, surrounded by his family and many friends, January 31, 1877.
WILLIAM C. SHOWALTER, Clerk of the District Court of Cass County, was born in Washington County, Iowa, in 1850, and resided with his parents on the farm till 1872, then attended Washington County Academy for one year, and afterward Iowa State University for one year. He came to Nebraska in 1874, and attended the State University at Lincoln for two years, after which he was engaged in teaching school at Pleasant Ridge, Cass Co., for twenty-one months. In the fall of 1879, he was elected Clerk of the District Court; he came to Plattsmouth and entered upon his duties in January, 1880; the term of his office is four years. Mr. Showalter was married, in Cass County, December 20, 1881, to Florence Richardson, a native of the State.
JOHN D. SIMPSON, agent for American Express Company news depot, etc., was born in Huntingdon, Penn., September 12, 1826. In 1838, the family removed to Delphi, Carroll Co., Ind.; in 1841, he removed to Galena, Ill.; was employed there as clerk in a mercantile business for three years; returned to Delphi, Ind., and was in the County Treasurer's office, under his father, and then clerk in mercantile business till the fall of 1850, when he went to Mineral Point, Wis.; was employed as book-keeper till the spring of 1851; returning to Delphi, Ind., was engaged for two years in making a numerical index of the county; then as book-keeper in the produce and packing business till he came to Nebraska in 1856. He located in Plattsmouth, and for one year was employed as clerk in mercantile business. In the autumn of 1857, he was elected County Treasurer, and re-elected in 1859, holding the office in all four years, after which he went to Denver, Colo., remaining there some four years, one year of which he was engaged as book-keeper for the Rocky Mountain News, and afterward in the employ of the United States Quartermaster, having charge of the mustering and disbursing office. Returning to Plattsmouth in the winter of 1864, he was engaged as book-keeper in general merchandise business till 1866, when he entered into partnership with W. Mickelwait and J. S. Sharp in the lumber and grocery business, remaining in the firm till 1869, when he disposed of his interest there and took the agency of the American Express Company, which he held till June, 1873. Mr. Simpson also had the agency of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad for six months, being the first agent of that railroad appointed in the State. He went to Omaha in 1873, and was employed as Secretary of the Brewer & Bemis Brewery Company for one year. Returning to Plattsmouth in 1875, he was engaged for five years as messenger for the American Express Company on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, and, in October, 1880, was again appointed agent for that company at this place. He opened a news depot, etc., at the same time. He was elected City Clerk in 1875, and has held the office since, being re-elected yearly; he also served the city as Councilman in 1858. He was married in Delphi, Ind., in 1853, to Kate Klepser, a native of Ohio; they have two children--Lelia and Edith L.
[RESIDENCE OF GEORGE S. SMITH.]
GEORGE S. SMITH, United States Surveyor General for Iowa and Nebraska; was born in Warren County, Ill., January 6,1846. He was educated at Abingdon College, Abingdon, Ill., graduating there in 1867. Afterward, he read law with the Hon. C. M. Harris at Chicago, Ill., and was admitted to the bar in September, 1868; was then engaged in the practice of his profession at Afton, Iowa, for two years. He came to Nebraska in February, 1870, located at Plattsmouth, and was engaged in the practice of law alone until 1872, when he associated himself with the Hon. T. M. Marquette, continuing with him until the latter part of 1874; then in company with R. B. Windham for over a year; and, in January, 1880, he associated with him J. B. Strode, and, is now a member of the law firm of Smith & Strode. Mr. Smith was, in 1875, elected a member of the Second Constitutional Convention of Cass County, and, in the latter part of 1876, District Attorney of the Second Judicial District, holding the office from January, 1877, to January, 1879. He was appointed United States Surveyor General of the States of Iowa and Nebraska April 14, 1879, by President Hayes, and has occupied that office since. Mr. Smith was married, in Warren County, Ill., October 9, 1867, to Annie Whitman, a native of that place. They have two children--Guy W. and George Anna.
ANSELMO B. SMITH, civil engineer and surveyor, was born in Eden, Vt., February 28, 1833. Was educated at the private school of the Rev. Edwin Wheelock as a civil engineer and surveyor, and, in 1849, he began the practice of his profession at Eden, Vt., continuing there till 1852, when he removed to Macoupin County, Ill., where he was engaged as deputy surveyor of the county. Returning to his native heath, he again followed his profession, till he came to Nebraska. In July, 1856, Mr. Smith located in Cass County, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession since. In 1869, he entered the employ of the B. & M. R. R. Co. as town site surveyor, and has occupied that position since. In 1867, he laid out the city of Lincoln for the State of Nebraska; laid out all the towns on the route of the B. & M. R. R. in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska, that have been built since 1869. He was elected surveyor of Cass County in 1857, and held the office for six consecutive years. Mr. Smith's parents followed him to Plattsmouth, in 1864. His father died here in 1868, and his mother in 1871. Mr. Smith has considerable land interest in Cass County, but, since 1871, he has resided at Denver, Colo. He was married at Plattsmouth April 8, 1862, to Sylvira E. Mullin, a native of Henry County, Iowa. They have four children--Elmer L., Warren M., Lois Clara, Myrtie B.
DANIEL B. SMITH, foreman of paint shop B. & M. R. R. Co., was born at St. Louis, Mo., December 29, 1848. He learned the trade of painter at Burlington, Iowa, in the shops of the C., B. & Q. R. R. Co., serving as an apprentice some four years. Was then employed as a journeyman in various parts of Iowa and Missouri for about one year, subsequently carrying on a painting establishment at Burlington, Iowa, for two years. In 1871, he again entered the employ of the C., B. & Q. R. R. Co. as a journeyman painter, at Burlington, Iowa, remaining in that capacity until he came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in November, 1874, and entered upon present duties. Mr. Smith was married, at Burlington, Iowa, October 19, 1869, to Ada Bradley, a resident of that place. They have five children--William D., George F., Lettia A., Eva G. and Zella.
WASHINGTON SMITH, foreman of coach-building department of the B. & M. R. R. Co., was born in New York City July 31, 1836, removing to Michigan City, Ind., in 1855, where he learned the trade of cabinet-maker with his father, and became employed in bridge and depot building for the N. A. & S. R. R. He remained at this work until 1858, leaving it to engage at house carpentering. In 1859, he entered the employ of the M. C. R. R. Co. as pattern maker, continuing in this capacity until early in the rebellion, when he went to Nashville, Tenn., in the service of the United States Government, as foreman of night gang on coach and locomotive work. Eighteen months later, he returned to Michigan City, Ind., again entering the employ of the M. C. R. R. Co. He came to Plattsmouth, Neb., January 24, 1870, engaging with the B. & M. R. R. Co. as pattern maker, and was appointed to present position in June, 1876. He was married, in Michigan City, Ind., July 31, 1867, to Hattie I. Skinner, a native of Fremont, Ohio, and has now three children--Nellie, died February 12, 1882, Mattie and Lulu.
SOLOMON & NATHAN, dry goods, etc. This firm is composed of Elias Solomon and Isaac Nathan, who were both born in Russia. Were for several years engaged in selling jewelry throughout England; came to America in 1866, and carried on the same business, and also dealt in general merchandise in South Carolina and California, till they came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in 1869. They then began present business in a small way, and have gradually increased their trade, and now stand among the leading merchants of this place.
FRED H. STEIMKER, foreman of freight car building department B. & M. R. R. Co., was born in Germany September 11, 1845; served eighteen months at trade of cabinet maker; came to America in 1861, residing with his parents in Des Moines County, Iowa, until 1867, being engaged in farming, then entered the employ of the B. & M. R. R. Co. at Burlington, Iowa, in the car repairing and building department, remaining there until April, 1878, when he came to Plattsmouth, Neb., and shortly afterward was appointed to present position.
JESSE B. STRODE, of Smith & Strode, attorneys at law, was born in Fulton County, Ill., February 18, 1845. Was educated at Abingdon College, Ill. In 1867, was elected Superintendent and Principal of the public schools at Abingdon, Ill., after which he engaged in the mercantile business in company with T. L. Frazier. They continued together about a year, when Mr. Frazier sold out his interest to G. A. Marshall, and Mr. Strode carried on the business with him for one year longer. In 1873, Mr. Strode was again elected Superintendent of public schools at Abingdon, Ill., and held the position some six years. He was Mayor of Abingdon during the years 1871 and 1872, and also served the city as Councilman for six years. He came to Nebraska May 1, 1879; was admitted to the bar at Plattsmouth in November following. He was employed during the summer of 1879 in the office of George S. Smith, U. S. Surveyor General of this State and Iowa, and January 1,1880, Mr. Strode joined Mr. Smith in the practice of law at Plattsmouth.
ALBERT N. SULLIVAN, attorney at law, was born in Canada in 1848. He pursued a literary course of studies at Prince Albert College, Canada, for two years. In 1866, he went to Lycoming County, Penn., and was employed in the lumber business for three years. He came to Nebraska in 1869, located in Cass County, and was engaged in teaching school for a short time and farming until about the end of 1877. He entered upon the duties of County Judge in January, 1878, having been elected in the previous fall; was re-elected in the fall of 1879, and served until the end of 1881. Mr. Sullivan, in connection with other pursuits, read law, and was admitted to the bar at Plattsmouth in the spring of 1879, and since his retirement from the office of County Judge has devoted himself to the practice of his profession. He was married at Plattsmouth, in June, 1871, to Mary Jean, a native of Indiana, but for a number of years a resident of Cass County, Neb. They have four children--Hattie, Charles, Anna and Blanche.
ANDREW B. TAYLOR, farmer and stock-raiser, was born at Red Sulphur Springs, Monroe County, W. Va., May 10, 1829. He was employed on various farms in and about that county until he came to Nebraska, May 16, 1857, and purchased his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct. He was then employed at general farm work for others for about two years, after which he settled on the farm he had previously purchased, and has been engaged in conducting the same since. Mr. Taylor is also a large stock breeder, having been in that business since 1860, and, in 1879, he began the breeding of blooded cattle and hogs. Has a farm of 320 acres. He was elected Sheriff of Cass County about 1864, and served two years. Mr. Taylor was married at Rock Bluff, Cass County, in 1861, to Adeline Murray, a native of Missouri. They have two children--William and John.
JONATHAN P. TAYLOR, Roadmaster Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company, was born in England December 9, 1836. He came to America in 1853. Was employed for a few months on the railroad at Halifax, N. B., then as foreman on the Grand Trunk Railway for some seven years, residing at Stratford, Ont., subsequently farming for two years in Canada, after which he went to Ashtabula, Ohio, and was engaged in superintending the construction of a railroad through there for about a year. He then went to Union City, Ind., and was employed on the Indiana Division of the Pan Handle Railroad under J. N. Converse, having charge of the construction train until he resigned that position to come to Nebraska in the fall of 1869, locating at Nebraska City. He was employed on the Nebraska Railroad under J. N. Converse, as Roadmaster, having charge of all construction on the road, and when the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company purchased the Nebraska Railroad in May, 1877; he remained in their employ in the same capacity until August 22, 1881, when he was appointed Roadmaster of the First Division. Mr. Taylor came to Plattsmouth to reside in September, 1881. He was married at Marion, Grant County, Ind., September 27, 1868, to Lydia A. Love, a native of that State. They have one daughter--Mary Ellen, born in this State.
SAMUEL L. THOMAS, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, October 14, 1835; when quite young, removed with his parents to Indiana, and came with them to Nebraska, in the fall of 1856. He resided with them on a farm in Plattsmouth Precinct until 1860, when he came on to his present farm in the same precinct; in 1859, he learned photography, and in the fall of 1860, opened a gallery at Plattsmouth, continuing in that business one year; in 1866, he again entered into the business, being engaged in it some two years. He has always resided on his farm, with the exception of three years, from 1865 to 1868, when he rented it and resided with his family in the city of Plattsmouth. He has, since 1872, been quite extensively engaged in the breeding of blooded stock, making a specialty of Devons, and since 1879, has also given considerable attention to bee culture, and has now some forty stands of bees. He was elected Vice President of the State Bee Keeper's Association, February 12, 1881, and re-elected January 13, 1882; was elected Treasurer of Cass County Agricultural Society, in March, 1881. He was married in Glenwood, Iowa, on April 18, 1861, to Sarah A. Shields, a native of Johnson County, Ind. They have three children--Walter L., William M. and Louis S.
THOMAS J. THOMAS, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Wabash County, Ind., November 28, 1848. He came to Nebraska with his parents in the fall of 1856, resided with them on a farm in Plattsmouth Precinct, and assisted his father in conducting the same until about 1874, when his father gave him 240 acres of land, since which time he has been engaged in cultivating it, and raising stock, He was married, at Plattsmouth, Cass County, November 20, 1873, to Albina Todd, a native of that place, she being the first female white child born in the county. They have three children--George W., Susanna V. and Lizzie Galena.
AMMI B. TODD, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., April 9, 1842. He removed with his parents to Ohio at three years of age, and three years later accompanied them to Owen County, Ind. He came with them to Nebraska, May 25, 1857, and assisted his father on his farm in Plattsmouth Precinct, until August 13, 1864, when he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, serving until discharged February 13, 1865; returning to his father's farm, he resided with him until about 1873, when he moved on to his present farm, since which time he has been engaged in conducting the same and also raising stock. He owns some 400 acres of land. Mr. Todd was married at Plattsmouth, May 16, 1871, to Margaret Thomas, widow of William L. Thomas, of Plattsmouth. Mrs. Todd has two living children by her first husband--Leila Thomas and Harry Thomas.
W. L. TUCKER, carpenter and joiner, Plattsmouth, was born October 30, 1828, in Beaver County, Penn., twenty-seven miles from Pittsburgh. At the age of ten years his parents moved to the State of Ohio, nine miles east of Richland County. At the age of sixteen years, he went to Mansfield to learn the cabinet trade, and served as an apprentice three years, then worked two years and six months at journeyman work; then came to Ripley County, Ind., and contracted for a short time; then came to Holt County, Mo., and contracted to build a number of schoolhouses and dwelling houses. Here he was married to Miss Sarah E. Ramsay, a native of Indiana, June 26, 1851; then he contracted for work up to the time he moved to Mills County, Iowa. Early in the spring of 1856, he left his family at Glenwood, and came over to Plattsmouth, Neb.; bought a claim in the west part of the Eight Mile Grove and pre-empted the same; built a house and worked in Plattsmouth a short time, then returned to Glenwood, and contracted the balance of that year. Early in the spring of 1857, he moved his family to Plattsmouth, and contracted for quite a while, then started in the cabinet business in an up-and-down cottonwood house, that stood where William Herold's store is now; went in partnership with a Mr. Johnson, and carried on the business of making furniture for a number of years. After that he worked at the carpenter trade up to the time he enlisted in the Union army, Company A, First Regiment Nebraska Cavalry Veteran Volunteers, July 31, 1864; served one year and eleven months; mustered out of service July 1, 1866, at Omaha, Neb.; then returned to Plattsmouth and resumed his old occupation of carpenter and joiner and contractor, and during all these intervals, has built over 130 houses, besides churches and schoolhouses, and piece and day work too numerous to note (in the year 1857-58, he built eighteen houses, in one of which Dr. Winterstene now lives); he built the first drug store that was built here. He is still contracting and building at the present time. His family consists of six children: James T., born in Missouri; Mary E., born in Iowa; Lily Jane, Penninah A., Agatha M. and William M., born in Nebraska.
JACOB VALLERY, SR., farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Germany, 1813; learned the trade of tailor in that country, and was employed at it some six years. He came to America in 1836; located in Pike County, Ohio, and was engaged in farming, and also merchandising until he came to Nebraska, in 1856. Mr. V. did not remain very long; he purchased 1,000 acres of land in Cass County, and returned to Pike County, Ohio, where he continued farming and merchandising, and was also Sheriff of Pike County for eight years, after which he returned to Nebraska and settled on his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct, and has been engaged in conducting the same, and breeding stock since. He is the owner of over 1,000 acres of land in this county. Mr. V. was a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1874. He is a member of the Agricultural Society of Cass County, and served on the Board of Directors of the State Board of Agriculture. He was married in Pike County, Ohio, September 4, 1840, to Mary Vallery, a native of Germany. They have eight children--Mary, Jacob W., Louisa, Lotta, Peter, Conrad, John and Christinia.
PERRY WALKER, farmer and dealer in live stock, etc., P. O. Plattsmouth, was born at Ludlow, Windsor Co., Vt., August 26, 1830, and resided with his parents on a farm until twenty-one years of age, when he went to California. where he was engaged in mining some four years, after which he returned East, to Du Page, Ill., and farmed there until he came to Nebraska, in 1864, at which time he purchased his present property in Plattsmouth Precinct, and has resided on it since. He owns some 1,300 acres of land, and a fine apple orchard, of between thirty and forty acres. He also buys and sells live stock for the Chicago market. Mr. Walker was married in Du Page County, Ill., in the fall of 1856, to Sarah Fox; she died in 1858, leaving two children--Myron C. and Hattie A. He was married again in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., on November 24, 1861, to Emma Sayles, a native of that place. They have six children--Herbert J., Rhec, Marvin F., Grace, Clara and Cora.
LEVI WALKER, farmer. P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Hardin County, Ky., in 1804; he resided there with his parents, on the farm, until seventeen years of age, when they removed to Owen County, Ind.; he was there engaged in farming for some twenty years. In 1846, he enlisted and served through the Mexican war, after which he farmed in Muscatine County, Iowa, for a few months, then in Buchanan County, Mo., until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1855. He located on a farm in Eight Mile Grove, Cass County, and resided there some two years, removing on to his present farm in Rock Bluff Precinct, in 1857; he remained one year, going to Mills County, Iowa, where he remained a short time, then in Missouri for a few months, returning here in 1859; has been engaged in conducting the farm since. He owns about eighty acres of land. Mr. Walker was married in Clay County, Ind., in 1827, to Drusilla Thomas, she died in 1849, leaving three children--Manda M., Juretta and Mary J. He married a second time, in Buchanan County, Mo., March 6, 1851, to Margaret E. Hendricks, a native of Kentucky, They have one daughter--Nancy E.
H. A. WATERMAN & SON, dealers in lumber, laths, shingles doors, etc., Plattsmouth. This firm is composed of Henry A. and John Waterman. They came to Nebraska in 1870; located in Plattsmouth, and engaged in the present business, which they have carried on without interruption since. In 1875, they opened a branch business at Louisville, Cass Co., Neb.; are represented by C. W. King. They carry a stock, including both places, of about $15,000. H. A. Waterman was engaged in farming in the State of New York. His son, John Waterman, was engaged in grain business, at Ottawa, Ill., for five years, and previous to coming here was engaged for four years in the grain and lumber business, at Buda, Cass Co., Ill.
HENRY WATSON, gardener, was born in South Carolina about 1820, and reared in Adair County, Ky. About 1850, he went to Schuyler County, Mo.; was engaged in farming for a year or so; then in Mills County, Iowa, until he came to Nebraska, in the fall of 1854, locating on a farm in Plattsmouth Precinct. He was engaged in conducting the same until 1877, when he moved into the city of Plattsmouth, since which time he has been engaged in growing fruit, gardening, etc. Has an orchard of some four acres. Mr. Watson was married in St. Clair County, Mo., to Jane Shaylor, a native of Ohio. They have two children--Curtis, born June 1, 1852, in Mills County, Iowa, and Mary, born in the same place, July 24, 1854.
WAYMAN & HEFNER, proprietors Cass County Iron Works. John Wayman, of this firm, was born in Floyd County, Ind., in 1838. He learned the trade of machinist at New Albany, Ind., serving five years. In 1859, he was employed as engineer, and remained in that capacity until December, 1862, when he enlisted in the United States marines; served as First Assistant Engineer on the gunboat Monarch till January, 1864, when he was mustered out. Afterward employed as a steamboat engineer for about five years. He came to Nebraska in 1869; located at Plattsmouth and began a machine shop, in company with F. W. Curtis. They conducted the business together for some four years. Mr. Wayman then ran the business alone, increasing it largely, and adding the foundry in 1876. In January, 1882, he associated with him B. F. Billings, of Louisville, Ky., a practical molder, and they now propose to also manufacture stoves. The business began twelve years ago in a very small way, has increased every year, until the firm now employs ten men and have every facility for carrying on quite a large foundry, etc.
[GENERAL STORE OF JOSEPH V.. WECKBACH.]
JOSEPH V. WECKBACH, general merchandise, was born in Germany, in 1844; came to America, and located in March of the same year at Plattsmouth, Neb. He carried on a blacksmith shop till 1869. Afterward he purchased a farm in Cass County, and was engaged in conducting the same two years; then engaged in managing a grocery and bakery business for two years. In 1874, he purchased a grocery business. Two years later, he added dry goods; in 1878, clothing, and is now engaged in conducting a large and increasing general merchandise business. He has been a member of the City Council for the past eight years. He was married at Plattsmouth, July 8, 1865, to Kate Guthmann, a native of Germany. They have nine children--Annie, Charles, Mary, Lydia, Edward, Eugene, Louis, Matilda and Kate.
C. E. WESCOTT, dealer in clothing, furnishing goods and hats and caps, was born in Cheshire, Berkshire Co., Mass., in October, 1841. He began his business life at La Porte, Ind., in 1859, being employed as clerk for seven years in the store of Polaski King, of that place. Was then, for some eighteen months, engaged in mercantile business in California. Returning to La Porte, Ind., he entered into clothing and dry goods business, in the firm of Wescott & Hagenbuck, continuing in that firm for some two years or more. He then disposed of his interest on account of ill-health, and was engaged in farming in Fayette County, Iowa, for three years, after which he resided in Brush Creek, Iowa, for two years; was engaged in general speculation, and then returned to La Porte, Ind. There employed as clerk in mercantile business till he came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in April, 1879, when he commenced his present business in company with C. A. Powell. January 1, 1880, Mr. Wescott purchased his partner's interest. On January 29, 1880, he was burned out, losing his entire stock, but began afresh in April of that year, and is now doing quite a large business.
[Portrait of F. E. White.]
FRANK E. WHITE, dealer in grain and coal, was born in England, January 20, 1848; came to America in 1855, and resided with his parents in Utah until he came with them to Nebraska in 1857, and located at Plattsmouth. He began active life in 1859 as an employe in a brick yard; was engaged in that capacity for a few months; then drove a team across the "plains" for his father, who was engaged in freighting, for one summer; then farming for a short time, after which he was employed as a teamster by his father for about four years. His next employment was in house-moving at Council Bluffs, Iowa, remaining in that occupation for one season; then at Lincoln, Neb., for some eight months, superintending the delivery of stone for the capitol building. Returning to Plattsmouth, was variously engaged during the summer; was then employed in mercantile business for about three years. In 1871, he entered into grain business, in company with N. L. Thatcher and I. Mullholland, continuing with them two years; afterward in the same business with M. B. Cutler for eighteen months, and then with W. R. Darrah for two years. Since then, Mr. White has been engaged in grain and coal business alone. He was elected City Clerk in April, 1875, and filled that office one year. Was nominated on the Democratic ticket, in the fall of 1880, as State Senator, but was defeated. Mr. White was married at Plattsmouth, in 1875, to Lottie E. Vallery, who was the second white child born in Cass County. They have two children--Lulu and an infant daughter.
FRANK S. WHITE, dry goods, groceries, etc., was born in England in 1824. Was for some years engaged in mercantile business. Came to America in 1855. Was engaged in farming in Utah till he came to Nebraska, in 1857, locating at Plattsmouth. He was engaged in farming during 1858, and was also for eight years engaged in teaming, etc., and during one year of the time he also did considerable shipping and forwarding freight across the plains. In 1865, he opened in the mercantile business, and has been engaged in it since. Mr. White has also done business as an auctioneer for the past sixteen years. He was, previous to 1866, Street Commissioner for five years, and also served the city as Councilman for two years. Mr. White was married in England, in 1843, to Annie Butterfield. She died in 1867, leaving six children--Walter J., Alfred W., Francis E., Rose A. (now Mrs. V. V. Leonard), Arthur C. and John. Mr. White was married again at Plattsmouth, in June, 1871, to Diana Edgerton, a native of England. They have one daughter--Florence.
WALTER J. WHITE, bridge builder, was born in England July 10, 1844; came to America in 1855 with his parents, and resided in Utah until he came to Plattsmouth in 1857. He was employed by his father in freighting and teaming until twenty-one years of age, and then engaged in contracting for road work until about 1875, since which time he has been engaged in bridge building, and also at times deals in wood and ice, and does considerable house moving. Mr. White has built all the wooden bridges constructed by and for Cass County in the past five years. He was Street Commissioner for Plattsmouth in 1871-72. Mr. White was married at Plattsmouth, October 24, 1866, to Miss Annie Betts, who was born in Ireland, and is granddaughter of Lady Elizabeth Leigh, of Stoneleigh Abbey, Winchester, England. They have two children living--Lillian Evelyn and Mabel Frances.
[RESIDENCE OF M. L. WHITE.]
MARQUIS L. WHITE, retired merchant, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in 1815. Was for several years employed as salesman in mercantile business at Guilford, N. Y. In 1835, he went to Chicago, Ill., and was variously engaged in farming, trading, etc., until 1843, when he entered into mercantile business in the firm of Hamilton & White. The firm carried on the business until 1848. Mr. White then carried on a general merchandise business at Waupun, Wis., for two years; then in same business, in connection with flour-mill at Mackford, Green Lake Co., Wis., for some four years, afterward carried on a hardware business at La Salle, Ill., for a year, and for three years at Burlington, Iowa. He came to Nebraska in 1858; located at Plattsmouth; was engaged in farming, building, etc., and for six months in mining and merchandising west of here. In 1861, he entered into the grocery and drug business in company with J. H. Buttery, remaining in that business until 1871, since which time he has been principally engaged in dealing in real estate and improving his property. From 1875 to 1876, he was engaged in dealing in ice at Omaha, Neb., in partnership with Richard Kimball, and, from the spring of 1877 to the fall of 1878, he, in company with others, ran quartz crushing mills at Lead City, Dak. Mr. White was elected Mayor of Plattsmouth four times, and was elected County Commissioner of Cass County twice.
DANIEL H. WHEELER, of D. H. Wheeler & Co., law office, real estate and insurance agents, was born in Flowerfield, St. Joseph County, Mich., November 26, 1834. His early life was spent upon the farm, where he remained till he attained his majority, at which time he learned the trade of a distiller, serving one year. He came to Nebraska in 1856, locating in Plattsmouth, clerking in various parts of the State till May 8, 1857. At this time, he associated himself in the hardware business with H. P. and J. W. Coolidge, under the style of Coolidge, Wheeler & Co., the firm name being changed to Coolidge & Wheeler, upon the withdrawal of J. W. Coolidge in 1860. In the following year, Mr. Coolidge disposed of his interest in the business, assuming the offices of County and City Treasurer, which he retained for two years; at the conclusion of this time he again entered the hardware business, in company with E. T. Duke, the firm continuing at Plattsmouth till 1875, when the base of their operations was changed to Omaha, Neb. Two years later, Mr. Wheeler sold his interest in the establishment to his partner. In 1859, Mr. Wheeler, in addition to his other business, opened his office as a real estate agent, continuing alone in the business till 1865, when he associated with him E. C. Lewis and J. C. Marshall, the firm continuing unchanged till Mr. Lewis' death in 1867, Mr. Marshall withdrawing from the partnership at about the same time. In March, 1868, he was joined by L. D. Bennett, the partnership continuing to the present time. Beginning in 1861, Mr. Wheeler for a period of six years read law with the Hon. T. M. Marquette, being admitted to the bar in 1869. In the following year, he became associated with J. C. Fox in the practice of his profession, and subsequently with J. W. Stinchcomb and with E. D. Stone, the latter remaining in the firm till December, 1878, since which time Mr. Wheeler has been alone in the law business. In 1859, Mr. Wheeler was elected Clerk of the Courts for Cass County, which position he filled for two years. In December, 1860, was chosen Assistant Secretary of the Fourth Territorial Council; was appointed Probate Judge of Cass County in December, 1863; was appointed United States Agent of the Pawnee Indian Reservation, entering upon his duties July 6, 1865, and serving until October, 1866, during which time he held the rank of Major in the United States Army. In 1869, was elected Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, a position which he retained for about twelve years; from 1873 to 1879, was Secretary of the State Senate, and in 1875 and 1876 was Secretary of the Centennial Commission. Mr. Wheeler has been a member of the State Horticultural Society since its organization, being Treasurer thereof for several years and Secretary since 1875. He was elected Mayor of Plattsmouth in 1869, serving one term, and has held various other city offices during his career. Since January, 1881, has been President of the Plattsmouth Board of Trade. On February 26, 1857, at Kalamazoo, Mich., Mr. Wheeler was married to Charlotte A. Lewis, a native of New York, a union that has been blessed with four children--Daniel H., Jr., Myron E., Frank L. and William H.
HON. ISAAC WILES, farmer, was born in Henry County, Ind., October 5, 1830, and removed with his parents to Andrew County, Mo., in 1841, remaining there till 1852, then went to California, and was engaged in farming until 1855. He then came East again, and located in Mills County, Iowa, for a short time; came to Nebraska in 1856; located in Cass County, near Plattsmouth, and was engaged in conducting his farm until he enlisted in October, 1862, in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, having assisted in raising Company H of that regiment. He was appointed First Lieutenant of that company November, 1862, and served in that capacity some fourteen months. Shortly afterward, in recruiting men for the First Nebraska Militia, he was commissioned Captain of Company B, in which position he served six months. Mr. Wiles then returned to his farm, and has been engaged in conducting the same since. He was a member of the First District School Board, and served three terms in the Nebraska Legislature previous to 1869. Was elected Commissioner of Cass County in 1869; term of office three years, and has been a member of the Plattsmouth School Board since the spring of 1881. Mr. Wiles was married, in Mills County, October 30, 1856, to Nancy E. Linville, a native of Missouri. They have nine children--Mary, Ursula, Abraham L., Jessie G., Edgar M., Grace, Thomas F., Luke and Isaac Ray L.
STEPHEN WILES, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Henry County, Ind., January 25, 1826. At the age of thirteen years, he removed with his parents to the State of Missouri, and was engaged in farming there until October, 1854, when he came to Nebraska and took up about two hundred and forty acres of land in Plattsmouth Precinct, and has resided on the same ever since. Mr. Wiles is a successful farmer and stock-raiser, and is now the owner of over eight hundred acres of land in this county. He has been a member of the District School Board for many years, and for several years past has held the office of Treasurer of it. He was married in Buchanan County, Mo., January 13, 1848, to Catharine E. McCorkle, a native of that State; they have twelve children--James, Rebecca, Thomas, Isaac, John, George, Barbara, Isabella, Nancy, Stephen A., Joseph E. and Benjamin Franklin.
THOMAS WILES, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Andrew County, Mo., September 29, 1845. He came with his father, Luke Wiles, to Nebraska in September, 1854; Mr. Wiles, Sr., purchased some lands from the Indians, near Plattsmouth, but only remained three years; going to Mills County, Iowa, he turned his attention to firming. Thomas resided on the farm in Mills County, Iowa, with his father, until August 12, 1862, when he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, serving until mustered out, August 20, 1865; he then attended school at Tabor, Iowa, for some two years, and again came to Nebraska in 1868, locating on the old farm purchased from the Indians in 1854, in Plattsmouth Precinct. He has since been engaged in conducting the same, and is also engaged in raising and feeding stock. Mr. Wiles was married in Mills County, Iowa, in January, 1868, to Barbara Y. Linville, a native of the State of Missouri; they have three children--Loren M., Canna Grace and Thomas, Jr.
REV. SAMUEL P. WILSON, Pastor of the M. E. Church, was born in Ohio County, Ky., in 1848. Removing, some years later, with his parents, to Warren County, Ill., he was educated in the schools of Monmouth, Ill., and studied theology under several prominent clergymen of the M. E. Church for four years; was ordained as Deacon by Bishop Thomas Bowman, at Geneseo, Ill., in September, 1872. He came to Nebraska in April, 1873, and had charge of the M. E. Church at Beatrice for eighteen months; then at Tecumseh for one year; was ordained Elder by Bishop Gilbert Haven, at Lincoln, Neb., September 19, 1875; had charge of the M. E. Church at Pawnee City two years; Brownville two years; and Nebraska City two years. He came to Plattsmouth September 24, 1881, and entered upon his present duties.
HON. R. B WINDHAM, attorney at law, was born at St. Joe, Mo., in 1846. He enlisted in 1864, in the Forty-sixth Iowa Infantry, serving till the close of the war. Was then engaged in mercantile pursuits at Glenwood, Iowa, until he came to Plattsmouth in 1867; he was then engaged in the real estate business till 1871, and was also Deputy Clerk of Cass County; for three years of that period, Mr. Windham also read law--for a part of the time with the Hon. Samuel Maxwell, now Chief Justice of this State. He then pursued his studies at the University of Michigan, graduating there in 1873, and was shortly afterward admitted to the bar at Detroit, Mich. Returning to Plattsmouth in the fall of that year, he practiced law in company with George S. Smith, now United States Surveyor General of this State, until the end of 1875, after which he continued his practice alone till July, 1880, when he associated with him D. A. Campbell. Mr. Windham was elected to the State Legislature from Cass County in 1878, and re-elected in 1880.
WILL. S. WISE, law office, real estate, etc., was born in La Grange Co., Ind., June 30,1855. He came to Nebraska in 1871; located in Plattsmouth, and was for some time employed as clerk in the jewelry business; then engaged at "ranching" in Gosper Co., Neb. In October, 1876, he began to read law with the Hon. R. B. Windham, of this place, and was admitted to practice at the bar in October, 1878. He then attended Ann Arbor University, Michigan, graduating March 26,1879. Returning to Plattsmouth, he opened a law and real estate office in August of the same year. He is a son of Parker L. Wise, who came here in 1856.
EDWIN H. WOOLEY, attorney at law, was born in Pike County, Ill., in 1855, and received the benefit of the educational institutions of that locality. He came to Nebraska in 1871, and located at Lincoln; was a student of the State University for three years, after which he was employed as a teacher in the public schools of Lincoln, Neb., for about one year. In 1875, he came into Cass County and taught the Concord School until the spring of 1876, then came to Plattsmouth, and was employed as teacher in the High School until elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction in the fall of 1879, which office he filled until January, 1882; he then began the practice of law, having been admitted to the bar at Plattsmouth in the latter part of 1879.
REV. ALPHA WRIGHT, Post Chaplain United States Army (retired), was born at Wilmington, Windham Co., Vt., April 16, 1813. When quite young, he removed with his parents to Bath, Steuben Co., N. Y.; in 1835, was ordained at Canandaigua, N. Y., by Bishop Morris, of Ohio, in the same year; he then labored in the M. E. Church, in the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin and Missouri, from 1836 to 1863, when he was appointed Chaplain of the Twenty-fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He was stationed at St. Louis, Mo., on the staff of Gen. Ewing, and had charge of the refugees and contrabands for the Department of Missouri, serving till the war closed. December 11, 1866, he was appointed Chaplain in the United States Army; was stationed at Fort Laramie, W. T., four years; Ft. Russell, W. T., two years; and, in 1872, was appointed Chaplain at Ft. Omaha, Neb., remaining in that position till relieved at his own request, October 3, 1879. In 1866, Chaplain Wright purchased land at Plattsmouth, built on it in the summer of 1867, and moved his family here. He united with the Presbyterian Church, and, since November, 1879, has had charge of the Presbyterian Church at Bellevue, Neb.
JOHN P. YOUNG, proprietor Post Office News Depot, was born in Pike County, Ohio, July 20, 1846, and resided there with his parents on a farm. He began business life at Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1860, being employed as clerk in mercantile business for several years; afterward resided at St. Joe, Mo., eighteen months, but was not actively engaged in business; he then went to Queen City, Mo.; here he was engaged in conducting a general merchandise business for others till he came to Plattsmouth, September 18, 1872, and was employed as clerk in mercantile business. May 9, 1876, Mr. Young began business in his present stand with a stock of $350--all the money he had. He has increased it year by year, until he now carries a stock of over $3,000, consisting of stationery, confectionery, toys, cigars, school supplies, etc. For the year 1881 his sales reached $18,000. Mr. Young owns real estate and personal property to the amount of $3,000. Mr. Young was married at Queen City, Mo., May 22, 1878, to Edna E. Campbell, of Queen City, Mo., a native of Ohio.