Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement|
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools
Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms
Plattsmouth: Early Settlement | City Government | Educational|
Religious | The Press
Plattsmouth (cont.): The Medical Profession | The Bar|
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests
5 ~ 8:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG
Weeping Water: Early Settlement | Organization | Educational|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Louisville: Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses|
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood: Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City
Biographical Sketches: Rock Bluff Precinct|
South Bend: Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches
Factoryville: Biographical Sketches|
Avoca: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Eight-Mile Grove Precinct
Biographical Sketches: |
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct
List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter
Louisville is situated on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, eighteen miles northwest of Plattsmouth. It was incorporated by a special act of the Territorial Legislature, in February, 1857, having been laid out during the preceding month, and one log cabin built by Gardner Powers. Under this act, however, the town was in reality nothing but a paper city, no further buildings being erected until the construction of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, in 1870. At this time, J. T. A. Hoover put up a store building and received a commission as Postmaster, being succeeded in the mercantile business in 1871 by B. G. Hoover. In 1872, a second stock of general merchandise was opened by A. B. Fox, the firm shortly resolving itself into Fox & Glover, and finally to J. V. Glover. In May of 1873, Dr. J. M. Waterman commenced practice in Louisville, and opened a drug store. In 1874, S. F. Rockwell opened the third general store, and from that time to the present the material progress of the town has been rapid.
The First Congregational Church, of Louisville, was organized in the district schoolhouse, on November 23, 1877, the first members being Mrs. Bella R. Waterman, D. D. Martindale, Mrs. Esther A. Martindale, John H. Bauer, Mrs. John H. Bauer, B. F. Diffenbacher, Mrs. B. F. Diffenbacher. From the schoolhouse, the society removed to the depot building, and, in May, 1878, laid the corner-stone of a new church edifice, which was built at a cost of $1,600, and occupied for the first time in January, 1879. The pastor from the first has been Benjamin F. Diffenbacher, of Sarpy Center, Sarpy Co., Neb.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1877, under the ministry of Rev. D. Marquette, who was succeeded by Rev. John Gallagher, Rev. Mr. Matthews then assuming the pastorate, which he retained until May, 1880. Soon after this, the church practically disbanded, re-organizing in January, 1882, under the spiritual charge of Rev. Mr. Robinson. Since the completion of the Congregational Church edifice, the society has made use of that building. The present membership is about twenty.
The First Baptist Church, of Louisville, was instituted in May, 1879, with six members, having since that time been ministered to by irregular supplies, and using the schoolhouse and the hall over J. V. Glover's storeroom as a place of worship. In January, 1882, the society purchased, for $50, the Baptist Church building at Eight Mile Grove, which they removed to Louisville. The present membership is about fifteen.
In addition to the above churches, there is an organization of Christian Brethren, using the Congregational Church occasionally, under the ministry of Rev. C. Alton.
A Union Sabbath school was instituted in 1873 in the depot building, removing thence to the schoolhouse, where it holds its sessions at present under the ministrations of Elijah Jenkins. The enrollment is about seventy, and the average attendance fifty scholars.
Louisville, having never been incorporated, except as a paper city, its rights under the original charter being forfeited, through not being acted upon, has no town schools in the proper sense of the term. The district schoolhouse, located within the town limits, is presided over by D. D. Martindale, with an average attendance, during 1881, of fifty scholars.
The post office was established in 1870 under charge of J. T. A. Hoover, who was succeeded, in the fall of 1879, by J. V. Glover, who still retains the position of Postmaster.
The Louisville Stone Ware Company was organized as a joint stock concern, with a capital of $5,000, in June, 1878. Its first officers were: J. T. A. Hoover, President; J. V. Glover, Secretary; A. B. Fox, Treasurer. The company immediately secured valuable franchises, which it yet retains, upon clay banks in the vicinity, and erected stone buildings and kilns with a capacity of producing 12,000 to 15,000 gallons per month. The present officers are: S. A. Milgrim, President; M. D. Polk, Secretary and Treasurer.
A steam-mill was put up in 1876 by Huber & Son, subsequently passing into the hands of A. H. Jackman. Its present capacity is fifteen barrels of flour per day.
In 1878, a grain elevator was erected by Fox & Glover, the firm being succeeded by A. B. Fox, in 1879, who enlarged the building, its entire cost being $1,500. It is now managed by C. Came. The first lumber yard was opened by Elijah Noyes, in 1873; it is now owned by H. A. Waterman & Son, of Plattsmouth. A second lumber yard was opened by S. A. Richenbach, in 1881.
In the mercantile line, Louisville possesses four general stores, two grocery stores, one agricultural warehouse, three drug stores, one clothing store, three jewelry stores, there being in addition to these one livery stable, one blacksmith shop, one wagon shop, two meat markets, one barber shop, one paint shop, one harness shop and one billiard hall.
There are two hotels--the Louisville House, established, by Frank Albee, in 1874, and still under the same proprietorship, and the Hall House, under the charge of A. W. Hall, first opened in June, 1879, under the name of the Dooley House. A new hotel, 32x52 feet, two stories in height, is now being erected by A. W. Hall, at a cost of $3,000.
Louisville has three practicing physicians and the same number of attorneys.
The Burlington & Missouri Railroad entering Cass County in the fall of 1869, reached Louisville in the spring of 1870, erecting depot buildings which were destroyed, together with a large freight train, by fire on the night of August 20, 1879; these have since been replaced. The Missouri Pacific Railroad, connecting Omaha, Neb., and Atchison, Kan., reached Louisville from the north in December, 1881, bridging the Platte River.
The town site covers 200 acres of land, occupied by a population, in 1879, of 250; in 1880, of 327, and, in January, 1882, 450, estimated.
CHARLES F. CAME, grain dealer, Louisville. The subject of our sketch was born in Center Harbor, N. H., April 3, 1840. When about twelve years of age, his father moved to Andrew, Jackson Co., Iowa, where Charles lived until 1861, when he enlisted in the Second Iowa Cavalry, Company M, Col. Elliott. He enlisted August 28, and the regiment was organized at Davenport, Iowa, and soon after went to Benton Barracks, Mo., where they remained until February, when they were sent to Bird's Point, Mo. Here the regiment were initiated into the service in a manner calculated to inspire in them a profound love for the service. At 8 P. M. they were ordered to Charleston, eight miles away, to protect it from a raid by Jefferson Thompson. The route for most of the way lay through a heavy cypress swamp, in which they floundered and struggled the entire night. When they arrived at Charleston early in the morning, nearly every man in the regiment had lost his hat. The Second Cavalry operated chiefly in the department of the Mississippi, taking a part in the Grierson raid to Palo Alto, and, like most of the cavalry service, was extremely varied; in almost continued skirmishing, duty, in many short engagements, and attached to various commands. Mr. C. was with his regiment until the spring of 1864, when his regiment veteranized, at which time he was sick, after which time he was transferred to the Engineer Corps. At Memphis, he was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant, and for a time acted in that capacity, though he never received his commission. The Second was a great deal of the time engaged with Gen. Forrest's guerrilla force, an engagement taking place nearly every week with some part of his command. Company M went into the service with 101 men, and when it was mustered out only fifteen of the original men answered the roll call. At the close of the war, Mr. C.'s health was much broken down, and he spent several years in travel in Wisconsin, Colorado, and in the South to recuperate his wasted health. In 1870, he came to Nebraska, and purchased a farm in Cass County, which he still owns. His health has greatly improved here. He was married, in Monticello, Iowa, December 25, 1869, to Miss Catharine Ewing, of Monticello, who is a native of Mercer County, Penn.
JONATHAN D. FERGUSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, Town 11, Range 11, Louisville Precinct. He was born in Mercer County, Penn., July 14, 1836; came to Cass County, Neb., June, 1858, purchasing his present large farm of Jacob Berger in 1867. May, 1861, Mr. F. crossed the plains to the "Buckskin Joe," a mining camp 100 miles southwest of Denver, returning to Cass County in the fall. In the summer of 1862, accompanied by his wife, he again crossed the plains, his wife remaining a year and a half in Denver, while he was freighting from Denver to the mines. Mrs. F. returned to Nebraska in the fall of 1864. That season the Indians were very troublesome, committing many murders, and civil occupations were for awhile generally suspended. Mr. F. was employed in haying, hunting up dead bodies, etc. He worked at mowing with a revolver at each side, and rifle strapped to his back. The man that would take his chances commanded good pay. He continued freighting until the spring of 1867. He was married in Louisville Precinct, December 15, 1859, to Miss Mary Berger, who was born in Mercer County, Penn., June 22, 1845. They have ten children--William T., born in Colorado August 28, 1862; George Edwin, born March 28, 1865; Leonard Clark and Dennis Allen, twins, born December 26, 1867; Elmer Leslie, born August 27, 1870 Cora May, born November 1, 1872; Carrie Bell, born September 21, 1874; Exie Jane, October 31, 1876; Jessie Lulu, December 6, 1878, and a babe August 4, 1881.
JOHN V. GLOVER, merchant, Louisville. He was born in Orange County, Ind., October 15, 1843. The family left Indiana in the spring of 1853, and moved to Glenwood, Iowa, where they lived until the spring of 1856, when they moved to Nebraska, settling in Sarpy County. In the spring of 1832, at the age of nineteen years, he took a trip across the plains, and, in the fall of that year, when in Montgomery, Colo., enlisted in the Independent Battery Colorado Artillery, commanded by Capt. William McClain, and, up to 1864, was engaged in frontier duty. They had a severe engagement with the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians about sixty miles northwest of Fort Larned, four men being killed. As a specimen of the Indian policy, they relate, when they followed up the Indians, who fled when they returned to the Fort, they found the Indians regaling themselves on Government flour and bacon dealt by the generous hand of Capt. Palmetar, and well-recruited up for another campaign, there being about 5,000 warriors. In the fall of 1864, they went to Missouri, and gave chase to Gen. Price, following him to the Arkansas River. Mr. G. was discharged under general order at Fort Leavenworth June 30, 1865, Going to Lawrence, Kan., he remained at that place until the fall of 1868, working at the trade of carpenter, when he returned to Nebraska, and engaged in farming for five years. In February, 1874, he started in mercantile trade in Louisville. In January, 1878, he was burned out, which swept away every cent. In 1879, he erected a brick and stone store, two stories in height, 24x54 feet, and opened up with a full stock of general merchandise, doing a large mercantile retail trade, that has nearly doubled in the last year. In April, 1880, he was appointed Postmaster at Louisville. Mr. G. was married in Paola, Kan., July 4, 1865, to Miss Alma E. Wilson, of Paola. They have four children--Florence A., born August 17, 1866; George V., August 15, 1868; Walter, September 20, 1871, and Clara M. W. July 6, 1875.
BENJAMIN G. HOOVER, dealer in farm and other machinery. Mr. Hoover was born in Greenville, Ohio, December 8, 1849, where he lived until the age of thirteen years. In May, 1863, his father moved to Cass County, Iowa. In 1870, he went into general merchandise in Louisville, which he followed up to 1874, when he went into the jewelry and notion trade, which he followed for three years. In the spring of 1877, he engaged in his present trade. It has grown from $20,000 in 1880 to $40,000 in 1881. Mr. Hoover was married in Louisville Precinct, October 3, 1870, to Miss Emily O. Twiss, of Louisville, who was born in Indiana in May, 1855. They have three children--Earl E., born December 14, 1871; Charles C., July 2, 1875; and Maud, September 5.1880.
CAPT. JAMES T. A. HOOVER, farmer and manufacturer, Section 23, Town 12, Range 11. Capt. Hoover was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 26, 1826. His father was a revolutionist, and determined to throw off the fetters of his government by going away from it. All his sons except James were in the Emperor's service, and he declared that James, the youngest, should never go into the service, and in 1844, when James was about eighteen, he emigrated to America, settling in Darke County, Ohio, and engaged in farming. James, for many years, was Captain of a company in the Fifth Ohio Militia. In August, 1861, he received a commission from Gov. Dennison to raise a company for the Fifty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which he did, and in January, 1862, was elected and commissioned Captain of Company D. Their first engagement was with the enemy at Fort Donelson, and after that followed the fortunes of his regiment, which was attached to the Twelfth Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, participating in the battles of Corinth, Island No. 10, Shiloh, the first battle of Vicksburg, etc., campaigning in Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana chiefly. At the battle of Shiloh, Capt. Hoover was wounded by a fragment of a shell, which struck him in both legs, the same fragment taking off both legs of Corp. Meyar, of which wound he died. The Captain, also, at Shiloh, received a saber wound in the wrist by a long Texan. In 1863, much broken down in health, he tendered his resignation, which was accepted, when he returned home in April, and in May of the same year moved to Cass County, Neb., and purchased the farm on which he now resides, containing 320 acres of land. He has on his farm the finest deposit of white clay yet discovered in the West for the manufacture of terra cotta stone ware, fire-brick, fire-clay, etc. Samples of the clay have been used in Germany, England, New Jersey, Ohio and Chicago, and stood the highest test. Capt. Hoover principally erected the Louisville pottery; laid out the village of Louisville, owning a third interest in the original plat. He has manufactured fire and building brick for several years, and is now making preparations to manufacture the present season half a million brick. In 1865, Capt. Hoover was elected a member of the Territorial Legislature, serving the term 1865-66. He is a fluent writer and talker in the German, English and French languages. He was appointed Postmaster at Louisville in the spring of 1869, and held the office until April, 1880, when he resigned, to be succeeded by John V. Glover. He was married in Greenwich, Ohio, December 31, 1848, to Miss Isa Huoffunhele, who was born in Lebanon, Penn., September 3, 1832. They have nine children--Benjamin G., born December 5, 1849; Ellen C., May 28, 1852; James M., January 8, 1854; Elizabeth, December 18, 1856; Mary, March 19, 1858; Amelia, September 27, 1859; Andrew, December 10, 1861; William Herman, May 1, 1871; Isabella, September 25, 1872; all, except the two latter, born in Ohio.
MILTON D. POLK, Louisville, attorney, was born in Mechanicsburg, Ind., March 29, 1857; attended the public and high schools at Greensboro, Ind. In the fall of 1872, his father, John F. Polk, a civil engineer, moved to Plattsmouth, Neb. Mr. P. taught school in 1874, and then entered the Nebraska University, where he finished his studies. In 1879, he entered the law office of his uncle, Judge R. L. Polk, then Judge of the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit of Indiana. He was admitted to the bar in Indiana in 1879, and immediately came back to Nebraska, and was admitted to the District Court of Nebraska in 1882. Mr. Polk is principal owner of the Louisville Pottery, a large stone building, with all the fixtures for the manufacture of pottery. He was married in New Castle, Ind., December 28, 1880, to Miss Kate Alsbaugh, of New Castle, where she was born April, 1857.
FRANK STANDER, farmer, Louisville, was born in Germany, May 26, 1835, immigrating to America in 1853. He resided in Wisconsin, and was variously employed. He came to Nebraska in October, 1858, and in the following year moved on to his present farm in Louisville Precinct. He is the owner of 440 acres of land, and considerable property in the village of Louisville, and also raises considerable stock. Mr. S. has, at times, held various district offices. He was married in the town of Summit, Waukesha County, Wis., March 28, 1859, to Eliza Regula. They have twelve children--George, James, Henry, Helen, Peter, Elizabeth, William, Russell, Lewis, Lester, Arthur and Olive C.
FREDERICK STOHLMANN, farmer, Louisville, was born in Germany March 14, 1831 Here he learned the trade of "dyer." He emigrated to America in 1849, settled in Waukesha County, Wis., and was employed there as a farm hand. In the fall of 1858, he purchased his residence farm in Louisville Precinct, and moved on it in 1859. He owns some 320 acres of land, and in connection with his farming pursuits, raises considerable stock. He has, at times, held various district offices. Mr. S. was married in Waukesha County, Wis., May 15, 1859, to Kunigunde Schoennan. They have seven children--George, William, Frederick, Andrew, August, Louisa and Amelia.
WILLIAM A. URWIN, farmer and stock-raiser, Louisville. Mr. Urwin was born in Northumberland, England, June 10, 1820, and emigrated to America in 1850, arriving in New Orleans May 4, came up the Mississippi by steamer to Galena, Illinois, and went to work in the lead mines in that vicinity, where he worked about four years, then came to Cass County and pre-empted 160 acres of land on Section 27, where he remained about seven years. He then purchased on the Cedar Creek, Cass County, 200 acres of land, which he highly improved. In 1872, he moved to his present farm, containing 590 acres, erected a brick dwelling the same year, since making many other substantial improvements. Mr. Urwin was married in Durham, England, September 6, 1839, to Ellen Wanless. She died in Council Hill, February 22, 1853, aged about thirty-five years, leaving three children--Elizabeth, born November 16, 1840; Thomas, May 26, 1842 and John September 10, 1843. Mr. Urwin married again in 1853, to Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson, who had two children--Joseph, born in England, March 18, 1838; and Ann, May 4, 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Urwin have one child--George, born August 28, 1854, who is married and engaged in farming in Louisville Precinct, P. O. Louisville.
BENJAMIN WARD, of Lafferty & Co.'s Livery Stable, Louisville, was born in Putnam County, Ind., July 9, 1847, and resided for some years with his parents in Missouri and Iowa. In 1859, he came with them to Nebraska, and assisted his father in farming in Plattsmouth Precinct, afterward in Eight-Mile Grove. In 1864, he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served about eight months. He was for some two years engaged in teaming, freighting, etc., to Denver, and for a year lived in Montana, where he teamed six months, and then gave his attention to mining; subsequently was for a year in British Columbia, trading with the Indians. Returning to Nebraska, he farmed for four years near this place, and was afterward for two years in agricultural implement business at Louisville, in company with B. G. Hoover; was for six months engaged in hardware business, with his brothers; then again in Colorado for eight months, employed by the "Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company." He returned here in May, 1882, and joined George Lafferty in this business. Mr. Ward was married in Glendale, Cass County, Neb., October 24, 1869. They have four children--Dora, Emma R., Hannah E. and Grace B.
ISAAC M. WARD, dealer in hardware, Louisville. He was born in Putnam County, Ind., January 27, 1849; when a child, his parents moved to Andrew County, Mo., where they lived until 1854, when they moved to Mills County, Iowa, in November, 1860; they moved to Cass County, Neb., in December, 1881. Mr. W. moved to Louisville, and with his brother, Benjamin, engaged in hardware trade under the style of Ward Bros. In January, 1882, Isaac bought out the interest of his brother in the business, keeping a full and select stock of goods, with an increasing trade, particularly during the year past; a tin shop is connected with the store. Mr. W. was married in Cass County, Neb., February 19, 1871, to Miss Juliette Warford. She is a native of Ohio, born May 23, 1852. They have four children--Harriet Eva, born October 17, 1871; Rhoda Olive, born May 28, 1873; Marion Oliver, born May 21, 1878; and Arthur, born June 25, 1880.
JOHN M. WATERMAN, M. D., druggist, Louisville. He was born in Decatur, Otsego County, N. Y., September 8, 1833, where he attended the public schools. In March, 1854, he undertook the journey to California, took the overland route, going by rail to Alton, Ill., where he took a steamer to St. Louis, and up the Missouri to Council Bluffs, arriving there April 20, and on the 8th of May started over the plains via the South Pass; their train consisted of two wagons, sixteen oxen, seventy-five head of cattle, and twenty-five men in the party, stopping in Oregon to get grass, and arriving in Maysville, Cal., in November. It was his intention to engage in mining, but he found other employment. He remained at Maysville about one year, when he returned by water, and the Nicaragua route, when Gen. Walker was filibustering in that region, arriving in New York in December, 1855. Dr. W. commenced the study of medicine in 1850, but was obliged to relinquish his studies, on account of an affection of the eyes. In 1860, he again resumed his studies in the office of Dr. A. P. Chamberlain, where he remained until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the Thirty-Ninth New York Infantry, and immediately after being mustered into service, was appointed Hospital Steward, and served in that capacity until January 13, 1862, when the Thirty-ninth was consolidated with the Seventy-sixth Regiment New York Volunteers, when he was appointed Orderly Sergeant of his company. Served until May 17, 1862; appointed Hospital Steward, and served as such until commissioned First Lieutenant, November 18, 1863. April 13, 1864, he was commissioned Captain of Company D. He participated in the battle of the Wilderness, where lie received a flesh wound in the hip, and at Weldon Road a bullet passed through his hat; was with Gen. Grant all through the summer of 1864, and but two days off duty during his term of service. He was discharged at Yallen House, Va., October 12, 1864. Dr. W. graduated at the Physico-Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, in the winter of 1872-73. In 1876, he took the chair of Professor of Therapeutics, Materia Medica and Pharmacy, which he held for three years, locating in Louisville, and practicing medicine from 1873 up to his connection with the institute, and since. Dr. Waterman was married in Worcester. N. Y., November 30,1865, to Miss Frances R. Butler, who died April 3,1870, aged about thirty years, leaving one child--L. E., who was born July 17, 1866. Dr. W. again married, at Plattsmouth, Neb., March 29, 1876, to Miss Bella R. Ramsey, who was born in Beaver County, Penn., January 11, 1842.
TAYLOR F. WELBORN, farmer and horse dealer, P. O. Louisville. Mr. Welborn was born in Muhlenburg County, Ky., March 3, 1849. When three years of age, his parents moved to Schuyler County, Mo., where they lived until 1865. They lived near the union camp, which had occasional skirmishes with the rebels, and between the union and rebel soldiers, they from time to time lost all their live stock and grain. Mr. Welborn has 220 acres of good land, which he has purchased since 1870, and is largely engaged in grain and stock raising. Mr. W. was married, January 1,1872, to Elizabeth Warrell, who was born in Jefferson County, Ind., August 29, 1847. They have one child--John F., born March 20, 1875. Mr. Welborn's parents, William and Tabitha C. Welborn, are living on the place, the father born in Kentucky June 10, 1804, and the mother in Tennessee February 8, 1811.
Greenwood is situated on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, thirty-seven miles from Plattsmouth and eighteen miles from Lincoln, being in the extreme northwestern corner of Cass County. The quarter-section of land upon which it is located was, in 1869, the property of S. C. Bethel, from whom it was purchased by a company of farmers residing in the vicinity, and donated to the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company, on condition that the said company put in not less than $10,000 worth of improvements--a condition that has not been strictly complied with, the land being subsequently transferred to an organization known as the South Platte Land Company, who still hold such portions of it as have not been sold to individual residents.
The earliest settler upon the town site was S. C. Bethel, who erected a small store building in the vicinity of the road-bed--the track not having yet been laid--early in 1870, this being the only business house in the vicinity for about two years. He was succeeded in it, some years later, by Bethel & Stephenson, who sold to Mayfield & Gullion, it. then being transferred to J. S. Green & Co., and the stock--altogether of groceries--subsequently sold to O. M. Carter, of Ashland, who closed it out.
In 1872, Swank & Maston erected a store building and opened a stock of general merchandise, their successors being as follows: John Wilburn, Gustavus Hinkley, William Ethridge, A. E. Ethridge, J. S. Foster & Co., J. S. Foster, E. A. Ryder & Co., and finally, E. A. Ryder, who still continues the business. The second general store was opened in the fall of 1875 by J. D. Tutt, succeeded by Mrs. E. A. Noel, who shortly afterward suspended business. Other early mercantile enterprises have been as follows: A stock of drugs, opened by Dr. M. Youngstead, in the storeroom of Mayfleld & Gullion, in 1873, subsequently removed to a building erected for its reception, and closed out; a drug store opened by A. E. Ryder, in 1876, and still continued under the same proprietorship; a confectionery and grocery, in 1877, by M. E. Chevrout, of which the same can be said, and the first hardware store, in 1878, by Hoham Bros., succeeded by O. C. Hoham. Prior to these last, however, was a grain warehouse, 16x24 feet, built by W. S. Bethel, in 1871, and now owned by Joseph Connors, of Plattsmouth, and a grain elevator, erected in 1873, by the Grange organization and afterward transferred to Thomas Gorton, of Illinois. A second elevator, still in active operation, was built by George W. Clark, in 1878.
Greenwood was made a post office during the latter part of 1870, Smith Bethel being commissioned Postmaster; his successors have been as follows: 1873 to 1875, John T. Wilburn; 1875 to 1876, Gustavus Hinkley; 1876 to 1882, H. H. Alder; 1882, J. C. Stevenson.
The Greenwood Eagle, a five-column quarto paper, was first issued October 14, 1881, by Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Elliott, and still continues to be issued weekly.
The first religious organization effected in Salt Creek Precinct was that of the Christian Church, instituted at what was known as the Shafer Schoolhouse, situated about two and a half miles north of the present site of Greenwood. This was in 1863, and under the ministration of Rev. D. R. Dungan, an evangelist, who succeeded in gathering together a little flock of ten members, who continued to worship for eleven years in various schoolhouses in the vicinity, the membership slowly increasing until they were able, in 1874, to erect a substantial frame church building at Greenwood. Rev. D. R. Dungan's successors have been as follows: Rev. Michael Combes, Rev. S. Sommers, Rev. George W. Mayfield, Rev. C. A. Miller, Rev. Rufus Pertle, Rev. James Conran and Rev. William H. Hardman, who assumed charge in February, 1882. The present membership is about 100.
The Salt Creek Congregational Church was organized on Saturday, November 20, 1864, through the instrumentality of Rev. Reuben Gaylord, the first place of worship being a schoolhouse about a mile south of the subsequent town site. The original members were Elic Coleman, William Coleman, William Laughlin, Sarah Montgomery, Anna Coleman and one other. In December, 1870, the name of the society was formally changed from that of the "Salt Creek" to the "Greenwood Congregational Church." During 1872 and 1873, a church structure was erected, being dedicated on April 6 of the latter year, by the Rev. O. Merrill, Superintendent of Home Missions. The first pastor of the society was Rev. M. V. Platt, who was superseded by Rev. David Knowles, upon the dedication of the church building. Rev. Mr. Knowles remained in charge until the year 1874, when Rev. Mr. Platt again assumed the pastorate, to be once more succeeded by his predecessor, in 1878. In 1879, Rev. William Leavitt commenced a ministry, continuing two years, Rev. Mr. Knowles assuming the charge, which he yet retains, in 1881. The present membership of the church is twelve.
The Greenwood Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church was established in November, 1880, comprising four societies within a radius of five miles square. Rev. W. K. Loofbourrow was placed in charge of the circuit, preaching upon alternate Sundays to each society. The entire membership is about ninety. One church building, nearly five miles east of Greenwood, was erected at the time of the organization, and a parsonage in Greenwood purchased for $600. The society at Greenwood worships at present in the Congregational Church building, contemplating, however, the erection of a structure of their own in the near future.
In addition to the above societies, a number of adherents to the Catholic faith, lacking any distinct organization of their own, have worshiped, during 1881, under the spiritual charge of Rev. Father P. Lynch, of Plattsmouth, who officiates in the schoolhouse once a month.
Until 1878, the district schoolhouse nearest to Greenwood was situated about one and a half miles south of the town. At that time, a new building was erected, with a seating capacity of 100, at a cost of $800. The average attendance, during 1881, was about 100. The present teacher is Miranda Palmer.
Greenwood Temple of Honor, No, 42, was organized in November, 1881, with the following officers. E. A. Ryder, G. P.; W. K. Loofbourrow, W. C.; Edwin Jeary, Recording Secretary; W. S. Elliott, Corresponding Secretary; Truman Sampson, Treasurer. The membership is about fifteen.
Greenwood has two hotels--the Fouts House and the Greenwood House; the former of these was established as the Cottage House, in 1878, by James & Cannon, who were succeeded by A. E. Mowerer, the hotel being purchased by P. D. Fouts and its name changed in 1881. The Greenwood House was opened in 1881 by George W. Mayfield, formerly the proprietor of a hotel of the same name, established in 1877 by Mrs. Ann Wilburn, which was closed in 1880.
The only lumber yard is that of J. W. Quackenbush, who succeeded the first proprietor, J. S. Foster, in 1879. The yard was opened two years previous.
In addition to these enterprises, the general business interests of Greenwood are represented by three general stores, one grocery store, one flour and feed store, one drug store, two millinery stores, one news and notion store, one shoe store, one harness shop, two blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, three carpenter shops, one barber shop, one butcher shop, one restaurant, one billiard hall and two livery stables. New buildings are being erected for other business houses, the upper portion of one of these costing $5,000, being intended for a public hall. The shipments upon the Burlington & Missouri Railroad from Greenwood, during 1881, were as follows: The number of carload lots being given--corn, 482; wheat, twenty-seven; rye, eight; oats, four; barley, two; hogs, seventy-nine, and cattle, twenty-eight. Greenwood has never been incorporated. Its population, according to the census of 1880, was 200; its population on January 1, 1882, as estimated, is 290.
The first white settler in what was afterward Rock Bluff was Benedict Spires, a German, who crossed the Missouri in 1854. During the same year, F. M. Young, Sr., William Young, N. R. Hobbs, William Gilmour, Sr., Abram Towner, Benjamin Albin and J. McF. Haygood arrived, and, in 1856, there came, among others, Thomas Patterson, Robert W. Stafford and H. H. Fowler, who laid out the town, it being duly organized June 10, 1856, and a scattered settlement, adjacent to it, organized as North Rock Bluff in the year succeeding. A special act of the Legislature was approved, November 3, 1858, consolidating the two towns and incorporating Rock Bluff City. About the same time, Mr. E. Giles established the Cass County Sentinel, in the new city, removing the same to Plattsmouth in 1859. For about twelve years the place flourished, its natural advantages and the enterprise of its citizens making it a formidable rival to Plattsmouth until the latter secured the railroad.
In 1870, Prof. J. D. Patterson, a prominent educator at that time, securing a very eligible site from the town company, erected a two-story brick building, 25x50 feet in size, at a cost of $3,500. This was opened on September 1 of the same year, and was virtually the first high school in the county. After a struggle of three years, Prof. Patterson was forced to abandon the enterprise through lack of proper support. The building is now occupied by a district school. The population of Rock Bluff, according to the census of 1880, was 150. It contains a Methodist Church, erected in 1874, now owned by its former mortgagor, Mr. J. M. Chalfant. A large frame mill was erected early in the history of the town, but is not now in operation, being used merely as a grain warehouse. There are also two general stores, a blacksmith shop and the post office in charge of Mr. A. J. Graves.