Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement|
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools
Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms
Plattsmouth: Early Settlement | City Government | Educational|
Religious | The Press
Plattsmouth (cont.): The Medical Profession | The Bar|
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests
5 ~ 8:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG
Weeping Water: Early Settlement | Organization | Educational|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Louisville: Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses|
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood: Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City
Biographical Sketches: Rock Bluff Precinct|
South Bend: Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches
Factoryville: Biographical Sketches|
Avoca: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Eight-Mile Grove Precinct
Biographical Sketches: |
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct
List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter
ROCK BLUFF PRECINCT.
GEORGE D. AMICK, farmer, was born in Bedford County, Penn., March 20, 1831, and reared on a farm in Guernsey County, Ohio. In 1854, he went to Burlington, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for two years. He came to Nebraska in October, 1856, and pre-empted 160 acres in Rock Bluffs Precinct, on which he has since resided engaged in farming and raising stock. He has 275 acres of land and a fine orchard. Mr. Amick was married in Noble County, Ohio, in 1850, to Mary Archer, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children--Minerva, John and David.
ENOS BERGER, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Virginia March 26, 1815, and reared on a farm; at fifteen years of age, he accompanied his father to Henry County, Ind. Three years later he learned the trade of stone-cutter, followed it for eleven years as a journeyman and two years as a contractor, afterward farming for two years in Indiana, and for four years in Andrew County, Mo., during which time he built the county court house; also farmed in Warren and Madison Counties, Iowa, and was for four years Treasurer and Recorder of the latter county. Here he purchased a steam saw-mill, ran it for a year, and, in January, 1857, moved it to Rock Bluffs, Neb., and carried it on for some five years or more. In 1860, he engaged in farming, and has followed it since, and is largely engaged in raising stock. He owns 240 acres of land. Mr. Berger was married in Fayette County, Ind., May 16, 1839, to Elizabeth Wallace. They have seven children--Josephine S., Mary E., James W., Fannie, George T., John P. and Luella M.
JAMES W. BERGER, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Andrew County, Mo., January 16, 1846. In 1858, he came with his father, Enos Berger, to Rock Bluffs, Neb. He assisted his father in conducting a saw-mill for some years, and was for a short time engaged in freighting across the plains. Also for several years assisted his father in farming. In 1875, he moved on to his present farm and has conducted it since. Mr. B. was married, November 26, 1874, to Julia C. Johnson. They have three children--John W., Fannie M. and George Enos.
GRANVILLE E. FLEMING, farmer, P. O. Mt. Pleasant, was born in Fayette County, Penn., in 1830, and reared on a farm in Wayne County, Ohio. In 1855, he went to Madison County, Iowa, where he remained for two years. He came to Nebraska in February, 1857, located in Rock Bluffs, and, for some five years was engaged in conducting a saw-mill. In 1862, he went to Mills County, Iowa, and, until 1868, conducted a mill there. Returning, he purchased his present place, consisting of 222 acres, and, in connection with farming, also raises considerable stock. Mr. F. was married in Cass County in 1860, to Ann E. Coleman. She died in 1863, leaving two children--Ellen and Eliza. He was married a second time in Mills County, Iowa, in 1866, to Matilda McMerlin. They have four children--Cora, Marvin, James and Torrence.
JOSHUA GAPEN, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Tyler County, W. Va., August 2, 1827, and resided on a farm with his parents until the spring of 1855, when he went to Des Moines County, Iowa, and was engaged in farming there until he came to Nebraska December 26, 1856. He was for three years employed on farms and doing general carpenter work in Cass County, and, in 1859, he moved on to his present farm, since which he has been engaged in conducting the same and raising stock, etc. He owns some 490 acres of land in this county. Mr. Gapen was married in Plattsmouth Precinct, Cass County, Neb., January 8,1857, to Maria Eikenbary, a native of Union County, Ind. They have eight children--John S., Martha, Henry O., William E., Lenora, Matilda, Lloyd and Annie.
W. W. GRAVES, farmer, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Tennessee in 1818, and reared on a farm. Here he also learned the trade of brickmaker, and followed that occupation and farming for some years. In 1852, he removed to Mills County, Iowa, and was engaged in manufacturing brick and farming for about eleven years. He came to Nebraska in 1863, and followed his trade for a year in Plattsmouth, after which he erected a saw-mill and conducted it for about three years, subsequently removing to Rock Bluff. Was for several years engaged in the manufacture of brick, and has followed farming and gardening, which is his present occupation. Mr. Graves was married, in Tennessee, in 1837, to Mahala Graves. They have ten children--Harriet, Alexander, Calvin, Lawson, A. Jackson, Julian, Mary, Sherad, Charles and Mary.
WILLIAM J. HESSER, nurseries, was born in Fayette County, Penn., in 1834, and reared in Jay County, Ind., on a farm. Here he followed mercantile business for five years, and in 1858, he engaged in nursery business, following it there until he came to Nebraska, in the fall of 1863. He was for two years engaged in gardening in Mount Pleasant Precinct, Cass County, and then moved to his present grounds, in Rock Bluff Precinct, five miles southwest of the city of Plattsmouth, which is his post office address. Mr. Hesser has sixty acres of land, all splendidly improved, with fine orchards, greenhouses, hot-houses, etc., having in the latter some two thousand square feet of glass. There is a natural spring on his grounds and magnificent flower-beds, trees, shrubbery, etc., which makes his place one of the handsomest in the State. Mr. Hesser is assisted in his business by his son, Samuel Clayton Hesser, and his daughter, Miss Mary Hesser, who attends to the greenhouses.
MOSES HIATT, farmer, Rock Bluff, was born in Peoria County, Ill., in April, 1834, residing on a farm there until he reached the age of fifteen years, after which he was employed in farming in the States of Missouri and Iowa. He came to Nebraska in February, 1862, located in Rock Bluff, and was for two years engaged in raising stock. He then turned his attention to farming, and is now following both pursuits. He owns some forty acres and a fine orchard. Mr. Hiatt was married at Sidney, Iowa, June 24, 1855, to Melissa C. Kauble. They have four children--Rose, Berrien W., Charles M. and Demmit L.
J. B. HOLMES, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., May 6, 1831, and reared on a farm. After he reached the age of manhood, he was for some years engaged in farming and lumbering. In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in the One Hundred and First New York Infantry, and served eight months as Lieutenant of Company D. Mr. Holmes came to Nebraska in May, 1865, and located in Rock Bluff Precinct. He owns 320 acres of land here and 240 in Seward County. He is largely engaged in buying and shipping stock and also conducts a farm. The subject of our sketch was married at Hampden, Delaware Co., N. Y., January 3, 1855, to Mary A. Law. They have five children--Chestinia I., William A., John, Alvin and Elizabeth.
CONSTANT J. MARTIN, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in France, September 12, 1832. He came with his parents to America when quite young, and resided with them, in Stark County, Ohio, for some time, and afterward in Allen County, Ind., until twenty-one years of age. During his residence with his parents, he assisted them in farming. Subsequently he was employed for three years as an engineer of a chair factory at Fort Wayne, and then for a year employed as clerk in mercantile business. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1857, residing in Plattsmouth. He was variously employed until May 16, 1859, when he moved on his present farm in Rock Bluff Precinct, since which time he has devoted himself to farming and stock-raising. He owns some 328 acres of land. Mr. Martin was married at Fort Wayne, Ind., on March 3, 1857, to Lucy J. Pagnard, a native of Switzerland. They have three children--Charles L., Mattie M. and Rose Lily.
JOSEPH B. MOORE, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Marshall County, Va., February 25, 1826. At the age of twelve years, he removed with his parents to Des Moines County, Iowa. After residing some years with them on a farm, he engaged in farming on his own account, until he came to Nebraska, in the spring of 1857, at which tune he pre-empted 160 acres in Rock Bluff Precinct, and has devoted his time to farming since. He now owns 266 acres of land and raises considerable live stock. He was elected a Commissioner of Cass County about 1871, and held the office three years. He was married in Des Moines County, Iowa, in 1849, to Mary Eikenbarry, a native of Indiana. She died in 1864, leaving five children--Samuel L., Clara, John E., William F. and Charles R. Mr. Moore was married again in Rock Bluff, in 1866, to Lucretia Young, a native of Kentucky. She died in the latter part of that year. He was married again in the same place, in May, 1881, to Dora Oldham, a native of Missouri.
ANDERSON ROOT, farmer and dealer in stock, P. O. Three Mile Grove, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, August 14, 1842, and reared on a farm. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Ohio Cavalry and was discharged in March, 1863. After the war, he farmed again for two years. He came to Nebraska in October, 1865, and located in this precinct. Here he farmed for seven years, and then went to Lincoln and conducted the State Agricultural Farm for three years. In 1876, he returned and settled on his present farm, and is largely engaged in dealing in and raising stock. Mr. Root was married in Mercer County, Penn., in the fall of 1864, to Margaret L. Snodgrass. They have four children--Charles T., Robert S., Eliza J. and Ralph Roy.
WILLIAM H. ROYAL, farmer, carpenter and builder, was born in Crawford County, Penn., May 27,1824. he resided with his parents on the farm until nineteen years of age, during which time he learned the trade of carpenter, and was employed at it there and in Cincinnati, Ohio, for some years, and was engaged for three years at the latter place as a contractor. He came to Nebraska June 2, 1857. Locating at Rock Bluff, he was for two years employed at his trade. In 1859, in company with John A. Latta, he built a grist-mill at that place and assisted in conducting it for several years. They then purchased a saw-mill in Mills County. Iowa, and ran it for several years. Mr. Royal then joined A. Patterson and E. Berger; they purchased a saw-mill at Gibbs' Island, Cass County, to which they built a distillery and ran both for some four years. In 1870, Mr. Royal purchased his present farm, consisting of eighty acres in Rock Bluff Precinct. He does considerable in stock-raising, and is also engaged in building, etc. The subject of our sketch was married in Crawford County, Penn., in March, 1846, to Elizabeth Latta, a native of that county; she died at his present residence on February 2, 1873, leaving three children--William, John Glenn and Emma.
JOSEPH SANS, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Germany April 5, 1805; he learned the trade of cabinet-maker there, serving an apprenticeship of two and a half years. He came to America in February, 1852, residing in Pittsburgh, Penn., for some two years, during which time he was employed at his trade, and also worked in a brewery; subsequently at Columbus, Ohio, for eighteen months, where he worked as a carpenter; then in the same capacity at Des Moines and Fort Dodge, Iowa, for three years. He came to Nebraska in 1858, locating at Rock Bluff, and was employed for one year as a carpenter; he then went to Denver, Colo., and was engaged as a carpenter, and also in mining until 1861, when he returned to Rock Bluff, and was engaged in freighting for some three years. In 1864, he purchased 160 acres in Rock Bluff Precinct, since which time he has been employed in farming and working at his trade; he now owns 280 acres of land, and considerable live stock. Mr. Sans was married at Rock Bluff, on February 13, 1862, to Caroline Spiers, a native of Missouri; she died in August, 1875, leaving five children--Joseph V., Charles, Arabella, Lily and John. He was married again at Rock Bluff, December 25, 1876, to Flora F. Frans, a native of that place; they have two children--Emma and Bettie F.
JOSEPH SHERA, merchant, Rock Bluff, was born in Ireland October 3, 1834. Here he followed mercantile business for nine years as clerk, buyer, etc., and for eight years as a merchant. He immigrated to Nebraska in June, 1864, and located in Rock Bluff, engaging in general merchandise on his arrival here. He owns 200 acres of land in the town site, and 100 acres of farming land, and is also engaged in raising stock. Mr. Shera was married in Dublin, Ireland, in 1858, to Annette Brown; they have five children--Charles H. J., William S., Netta, Ida and one infant daughter.
B. SIEBOLD, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Germany, January 29, 1834, where he followed farming as an occupation. He emigrated to America in 1847. Farmed for a year in Pittsfield, Penn., and in Waukegan, Ill., for some years. He came to Nebraska in June, 1857, and was employed on a farm, etc., for four years. In 1861, he pre-empted 160 acres, on which he has since resided; has now 145 acres, and is also engaged in raising stock. Mr. S. was married in Cass County in January, 1861, to Eliza Clemmons; they have one son--Elmer E.
WILLIAM H. SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Orange County, N. Y., June 3, 1828, residing there with his parents until eighteen years of age, when he turned his attention to railroading and was employed in the construction department of various railroad companies in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Illinois for some twelve years, as foreman and contractor; he came to Nebraska in June, 1858, locating in Eight-Mile Grove, Cass County; he was engaged in farming 160 acres of land there, which he had pre-empted in 1857, for some two years; he then moved to his present farm in Rock Bluff Precinct, and has been engaged in conducting the same since; he owns 172 acres of land. Mr. Smith was Justice of the Peace at this place for some six years; has been a Notary Public since 1877, and has for the past seventeen years taken an active interest in the educational affairs of the district. He was married in Orange County, N. Y., October 4, 1855, to Abigail E. Seybolt, a native of that county; they have three children--William F., Florence G. and George S.
THOMAS A SULLIVAN, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Ottawa, Ontario, in 1832; was employed for some years as clerk in mercantile business, coming to the United States in 1856. He resided for a short time in Buffalo, N. Y.; subsequently, he was engaged in mining, etc., in Colorado and Kansas until he came to Nebraska in 1859, locating on his present farm in Rock Bluff Precinct; he has been engaged in conducting the same since, and during the years of 1860, 1861 and 1862, he was also engaged in freighting. He owns 400 acres of land and does considerable stock raising. Mr. Sullivan was a Director of the district school for some two years. He was married at Rock Bluff in 1862, to Mary Murray, a native of Missouri; they have four children--George, Arthur, Adeline and Mary.
WILLIAM A. TAYLOR, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Monroe County, W. Va., in May, 1837. He was employed there as a farmer for a short time, and also in same capacity at Davenport, Iowa, for a year. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1857, and was employed on farms in Cass County until he enlisted, in 1864, in Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served some nine months. In 1866, he commenced to farm on his own account, in Rock Bluff Precinct, and since 1874 has also been engaged in stock-raising. He owns some two hundred acres of land. Mr. Taylor was married in Plattsmouth, January 16, 1868, to Mary Polin, daughter of Henry Polin, who settled in Cass County, in 1856. They have five children--Charles E., William H., Anna, Grace and Nellie.
JACOB R. VALLERY, farmer, P. O. Eight Mile Grove, was born in Pike County, Ohio, January 4, 1848, and came to Nebraska, with his parents in 1856, and assisted his father in farming until he reached the age of about twenty-six years, when he moved on to this farm in Rock Bluff Precinct, and has since farmed for himself. He owns about four hundred acres of land, and is largely engaged in raising stock. Mr. Vallery was married in Cass County; December 8, 1875, to Mary Richardson, and they have two children--May and Grace.
JAMES A. WALKER, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Washington County, Penn., in September, 1838, and raised on a farm, and conducted one for several years. He came to Nebraska in May, 1864, and for six years was engaged in mercantile business, at the town of Rock Bluff, in company with J. M. Patterson, after which he moved on to his present farm, and has conducted the same since. He owns 300 acres of land and is also engaged in raising stock. Mr. Walker was married in Cass County, in November, 1867, to Annie Simpson. They have three children--Alexander E., Eliza A. and one infant son.
I. S. WHITE, farmer, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Davis County, Mo., May 19, 1835, and raised on a farm in Livingston County, that State. Here he farmed for himself for two years, after which he removed to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where he lived for a few months. He came to Nebraska in August, 1856, and located in Rock Bluff, since which time he has devoted himself to farming. He owns over nine hundred acres of land, and for the past fourteen years has also been largely engaged in raising and feeding his live stock. Mr. White enlisted in August, 1864, in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served eight months. He was married in Livingston County, Mo., February 28, 1854, to Ann Smith. They have two children--Cecilia and Mark.
JAMES W. WILEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Wood County, Ohio, August 29, 1849. He came, with his father, Dr. W. W Wiley, to Nebraska, in the spring of 1857; his parents resided in Omaha for some three years. In 1860, they removed to the farm in Rock Bluff Precinct, and James W. assisted his father in managing the same until 1875, when his father gave him 160 acres of land, and since then he has been engaged in conducting the same, and also in raising stock. He was married in Liberty Precinct, Cass County, September 9, 1875, to Martha J. Hastings, a native of Virginia. They have three children--Edna A., Dovie E. and Robert R.
DR. WILLIAM W. WILEY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, February 18, 1817, and resided with his father, Dr. James Wiley, until his death, thirteen years later. He was then variously employed until he reached the age of nineteen years, after which he studied medicine for a year, under Dr. Devonbeaugh; subsequently he went to Macon County, Ill., and studied and practiced medicine, under Dr. Burrell, for nine months. The Doctor died, and he took his practice and continued it for three years, and afterward practiced in Wood County, Ohio, nine years. Dr. Wiley was then for three years, incapacitated on account of ill health. He came to Nebraska in 1857, and located in Omaha, residing there nearly two years, but was not actively engaged in business. In the spring of 1858, he purchased 160 acres in Rock Bluff Precinct, and moved his family on to it in January, 1859, since which time he has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. He now owns 785 acres of land. The Doctor was married, in Wood County, Ohio, May 30 1844, to Gertrude Miranda Bell, a native of that county. They have six children--Arminta, Hattie, James W., Edward. Lottie A. and Alma.
FRANCIS M. YOUNG, SR., farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Rock Bluff, was born in Floyd County, Ky., August 10, 1837. When quite young he removed, with his mother, to Platte County, Mo., and resided with her there, and in Nodaway and Andrew Counties, until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1855. He located in Rock Bluff Precinct, on land pre-empted, in August, 1854, since which time he has been engaged in farming. About 1866, he began stock-raising, making a specialty of sheep, of which he has 320 head. Mr. Young was married at Rock Bluff, February, 1867, to Sarah E. Lewis, a native of Missouri. They have six children--Charles Howard, Annie M., Clara C., Burton O., Viola and one infant son.
F. M. YOUNG, JR., farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Platte County, Mo., February 14, 1841, and was raised on farms in the State of Missouri and Mills County, Iowa. He came, with his father, to Nebraska, in 1855, and resided with him on a farm in Rock Bluff, until he reached the age of thirty years, since which time he has farmed for himself. He owns some 290 acres of land and a nice orchard, and is also engaged raising stock. In 1864, he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served seven months. Mr. Young was married, in Cass County, Neb., February 14, 1871, to Sarah E. Law. They have two children--Alba R. and Mabel.
WILLIAM YOUNG, farmer and fruit-grower, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Floyd County, Ky., August 25, 1808. He was raised a farmer; was married, December 25, 1832, to Mahama Murry; moved to Johnson County, Mo., in the spring of 1837, and in the fall of the same year he moved to Platte County, Mo., and in 1842 to Nodaway County, Mo.; followed farming and filled the office of Justice of the Peace. His wife died March 20, 1849, leaving four children--Levina, Francis M., Elizabeth J. and Mary. He was married again, May 12, 1850, to Rebecca McBroom, and removed to Mills County, Iowa, and again filled the office of Justice of the Peace. On November 3, he came to Nebraska, staked out a claim of 320 acres (supposed to be, as there were no lines to be governed by), and moved his family on to the same March 5, 1855. They lived in a tent, with the wolves and wild cats about them, till he built a log cabin, but received no harm from his friendly neighbors, except the loss of a few sheep. He was elected County Surveyor the first year, and ran the first county road in Cass County. They lived here two or three years without any school. There being no schoolhouse, Mr. Young gave up one of the rooms of his house for a schoolhouse, and employed a lady teacher. He had, by this time, built a double log house, and when Uncle Sam's boys came along, they ran a line both ways through his farm, so that he sleeps on one quarter section and eats on another. In 1873, he was elected County Surveyor, and served two terms in succession having served as County Commissioner two terms previous, and served as Road Commissioner several years, locating roads and bridges all over the county. Being seventy-four years of age, he has retired from active business life, and is now engaged in fruit-growing and bee-keeping. His second wife, Rebecca, died February 19, 1865, leaving four children--David A., Ellen, Jennie and John W. John W. died October 15,1865, being about three years of age.
South Bend is located on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad twenty-three miles northwest of Plattsmouth and on the south bank of the Platte River. The first settlers in the vicinity were T. W. Fountain and W. D. Hill, who settled in Cass County about half a mile from the present town site in 1856. A town was laid out by speculators in 1857, nothing, however, being done in the way of improvement at that time. The first house was erected by Henry Keyes, in 1860, the next building being a grain house erected by the railroad company in 1870, and leased to T. W. Fountain for a time, being subsequently used for depot purposes. It may be well to state that the frame house built by George D. Mattison, in 1865, was and is just outside of the town limits.
In 1871, an elevator, 24x32 feet, was erected by T. W. Fountain, who sold it to C. H. Pinkham, in 1873, succeeded by E. E. Day in 1881.
The first store was opened with a stock of general merchandise, in 1872, by C. H. Pinkham, who was about the same time commissioned Postmaster of the newly-established office, being succeeded in the position by R. G. McFarland in 1881. In 1873, a lumber yard was established by T. W. Fountain, who disposed of the same to D. Dean & Son, in 1879. In 1875, J. Streight & Son, afterward H. J. Streight & Co., opened a stock of general merchandise, and, about the same time, James G. Romine started a drug store, which he subsequently sold to Greenslate & Co. In 1876, the first hotel--the Grand Central--was built, still remaining under the original proprietorship, that of Dr. William Kirk, and a year later, the American House was opened by George H. McCain.
The First Congregational Church was organized in February, 1881, in Dill's Hall, with a membership of seventeen. After holding a few meetings in that place, they removed to the schoolhouse which had just been finished, where they continued to worship under the ministration of Rev. D. F. Diffenbacher, of Sarpy Center.
The Methodists, of which there are a number in the vicinity, hold irregular meetings, but have effected no organization.
South Bend never having been incorporated, depends upon the regular district schools as regards educational facilities. A schoolhouse was erected in 1874, within the town limits, and another in 1881, the two buildings being placed under the charge of J. M. Campbell, as Principal, and Anna Lykes, as assistant, the schools being graded at the time, in November, 1881. The average attendance is 100.
In 1879, a good wagon bridge was constructed across the Platte River by a joint-stock company, connecting Cass with Sarpy County and materially assisting in the growth and prosperity of the town. Previous to this, the only means of crossing the river had been by skiff or upon a flat-boat ferry, run by Decker, under an old charter of 1857. This bridge was swept away by the high waters of the Platte, in the spring of 1881, having been less than two years in existence, a company of citizens at once establishing another ferry to supply the want of the two counties, and measures are now being taken toward the erection of a new bridge.
South Bend has now in the way of business houses two grain elevators, one lumber yard, three general stores, one clothing and dry goods store, one furniture and agricultural implement warehouse, one hardware store, three drug stores, one shoe shop, one meat market, two blacksmith shops, one machine shop, two hotels and one restaurant; also two practicing physicians and one attorney. Its shipments upon the Burlington & Missouri Railroad during 1881, have been as follows; Corn, 353 cars; wheat, thirty-three cars; barley, four cars; rye, two cars; cattle, one car; hogs, fifty-seven cars. The population of the town, in 1880, was 250; in January, 1882, 300, estimated.
JAMES CRAWFORD, farmer, was born in Orange, Richland County, Ohio, January 8, 1833, and moved with his parents to Knox County, Ill., when quite young, residing there until he went to California some years later, where he was engaged in placer mining up to 1861. He then enlisted in the Second California Cavalry and served some thirty-seven months, principally engaged in garrison duty and Indian campaigns. He returned to Illinois in 1865, and came to Nebraska in the spring of 186, locating on his present farm in South Bend Precinct, Cass Co., and has been engaged in conducting the same since. Mr. Crawford has been a member of South Bend District School Board since 1868, and Justice of the Peace since 1869; he was elected a Commissioner of Cass County in 1877, and is still filling that office. He was married in Knox County, Ill., in January, 1866, to Melissa Crawford, a native of Illinois. They have four children--Robert, aged sixteen years; Diana, aged nine years; James, aged seven years; and Mattie, born in 1881.
CHARLES N. FOLSOM, agent for D. Dean & Son, lumber, coal and lime, Louisville, P. O. South Bend. He was born in Montpelier, Vt., August 19, 1848. He attended the public schools of his town until 1867, when he entered the Empire Commercial College of Newburg, N. Y., where he attended one year, when he returned to Montpelier in March, 1869; came West to Ashland, Neb., and entered eighty acres of land, twelve miles northwest of Ashland, subsequently making additions to his original purchase, and now owns 480 acres of land, mostly under improvement, with an orchard of 200 apple trees, besides a large bearing vineyard, also several acres of forest trees. In the fall of 1869, he engaged as salesman in the general merchandise house of Volentine & Hain, where he remained a few months. He then engaged as book-keeper in the real estate office of Fuller, Willsie & Barr, where he remained a little over two years. In 1872, Willsie & Barr retired from the firm, and Mr. Folsom became the junior of the firm of Fuller & Folsom, and continued until 1874. In 1875, he received a Government appointment as Transcribing Clerk in the Surveyor General's office at Plattsmouth, remaining there a little less than a year. He then returned to Ashland, and went into the banking house of I. L. Simington & Son, as book-keeper and cashier. In July, 1877, he went into the employ of Dean & Son, and has remained in their employ since, taking charge of their yard in Clear Creek. In 1879, was sent to Greenwood, Neb., and, in July the same year, he was sent to Gaylord, Kan., where he stayed only a few months, the company disposing of their business, when he returned to South Bend. Mr. F. was married in Omaha, March 25, 1878, to Miss Pearl A. Davis, daughter of Capt. William Davis, of Weston, Neb. She was born in Indiana August 26, 1858. His father and mother, David W. and Maria D. Folsom, live in South Bend.
JAMES G. ROMINE, farmer and Superintendent of the State Fish Hatchery, Section 25, Town 12, Range 10, South Bend Precinct. Mr. Romine was born in Culpeper, Virginia, April 30, 1825; he left Virginia in the spring of 1852 and moved to Andrew County, Missouri, where he lived until the fall of that year, when he moved to Montgomery County, Iowa, September, 1855; he moved to Cass County, Neb., in the year 1854, but returning to Iowa in 1855, he bought a claim which he pre-empted and enlarged when it came into the market in 1857; in 1861, he crossed the plains and engaged in freighting to Denver, and then went into partnership with G. D. Connelley and E. D. Buren until 1863, when they opened a cattle ranch at Julesburg, which they successfully prosecuted till January, 1865, being stocked with 200 head of young cattle, eighty yoke of oxen, several horses and fifteen wagons. In 1864, the Indian outbreak occurred to the west of them, when murder and plunder was the order of the day; during that time, the ranchmen lost their stock and many of them their lives, In January, 1865, the Indians attacked Romine & Co. and ran off with all their stock, Messrs. Romine and Buren escaping each with a pony and their scalp-locks--Mr. C. being in Nebraska with $300, being all that was saved, losing fully $30,000. On the morning of January 7 the stage driver of the overland mail, west bound, gave the Indian alarm; he had been attacked and an arrow was sticking in his clothes; he refused to proceed a mile farther to the station. Two men were sent to Ft. Sedgwick, two miles from the ranch, to notify the garrison and get help. The commander at the fort treated their demand as an insult, and roughly informed them that they need not come there with any of their Indian stories, and that he would take care of the Indians. Early in the forenoon, four men of a train that had stopped at the ranch, well mounted, rode back to reconnoiter for Indians and were attacked and driven back; two of the party were killed and another wounded. The garrison was then informed; the commander got out his force of about forty soldiers, which was joined by a force of twenty citizens, and went out to meet the Indians; they were deluded for a time into a trap, and obliged to retreat; about nineteen of the soldiers were killed, and seven of the citizens. Mr. R. returned to Cass County in February, and with the same company fitted out four mule teams and engaged in freighting, which business they successfully followed until the Union Pacific Railway was opened, when freighting became an institution of the past; Mr. Romine then bought land and went into farming. In 1877, he projected and engaged in fish culture successfully; in addition to his private venture, hatching German carp and California salmon for the State. The fishery that he was proprietor of has since been sold to the State, and he has since been Superintendent of the State Fish Hatchery.
DANIEL SWEENY, farmer and stock-grower, dealer in lime and quarry stone, Section 22, Town 10, Range 12, P. O. South Bend. Mr. Sweeny was born in Point Albert, Vermont, March 25, 1822. When he arrived at fourteen years of age, his parents moved to the State of New York, where they resided two years, in 1846, moving to Michigan, where they resided till the spring of 1851, when Daniel moved to Livingston County, Ill., where he lived until the spring of 1863, when he moved to Cass County, purchasing his present farm, now owning 400 acres of land, well improved, all fenced and good buildings, an orchard of 1,000 apple trees, 300 cherry trees, grapes and other small fruit. Mr. Sweeny bought 320 acres of his land for $1.25 per acre, a portion of it--160 acres--having been sold for $1,000 before the freighting era; Mr. Sweeny originally purchased 1,200 acres, but by sales reduced his farm to 400 acres; on his farm there are inexhaustible quarries of brown sandstone, limestone, magnesia limestone, of white and various shades of yellow, which are quarried and extensively used for finishing stone; also extensive beds of very rich and pure iron ore. Mr. Sweeny also manufactures large quantities of excellent lime. He lived in a tent the first summer; on moving to his place, and immediately set about building a house; he went to Iowa and purchased green cottonwood lumber, of which he built his house; the house shrank and warped until it scarcely resembled a habitation; he then went to work, quarried red sandstone and erected a stone house two stories in height, burned his own lime and performed his own carpenter labor, finishing up his house in good shape. Mr. Sweeny was married in Michigan, December 23, 1843, to Miss Mary Grout, who was born in Jamestown, N. Y., October 22, 1829. They have seven children--James F., born February 9, 1845; Sophia A., born April 7, 1851; Gustavus, born September 27, 1854; Edward Solomon, born December 16, 1857; Mary Alice, born May 21, 1861; Rosa Addie, born July 7, 1864; and Jessie Daniel, born March 28, 1867; Mary Lucinda was born March 27, 1845, and died September 9, 1846.