KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Cass County
Produced by
Connie Snyder.



PART 1:

Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools

PART 2:



Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms

PART 3:

Plattsmouth:  Early Settlement | City Government | Educational
Religious | The Press

PART 4:


Plattsmouth (cont.):   The Medical Profession | The Bar
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests

PARTS
 5 ~ 8:

Biographical Sketches:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG

PART 9:


Weeping Water:  Early Settlement | Organization | Educational
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Biographical Sketches

PART 10:



Louisville:  Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood:  Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City

PART 11:

Biographical Sketches:  Rock Bluff Precinct
South Bend:  Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches

PART 12:



Factoryville:  Biographical Sketches
Avoca:  Biographical Sketches
Other Towns
Biographical Sketches:  Eight-Mile Grove Precinct

PART 13:



Biographical Sketches:  
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct

List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter


Part 12


FACTORYVILLE.

   Factoryville is situated on the Missouri River, eighteen miles south of Plattsmouth, five miles southwest of Union, and upon the south branch of the Weeping Water. Located on high land, it is surrounded on all sides by fertile farms and groves of natural and cultivated timber, while the beautiful stream upon which it lies contributes not a little to its advantage and general appearance.

   The first settler on the land now known as Factoryville was George Hunt, who crossed the Missouri in 1856, and, at once perceiving the value of the water-power, erected a frame mill on the south branch of the Weeping Water. This mill, after a continuous service of nearly twenty-four years, was torn down in 1880. No other settlement was made in the immediate proximity until 1869, when George Jennings removed from Sarpy County and put up a large frame mill building, naming the quarter-section upon which it was situated Factoryville. At this time a post office was established under the above name, with John W. Jennings as Postmaster.

   In 1880, a third mill was erected by Lawrence Miller, being completed in October of that year. It has a massive stone foundation, a frame superstructure and cost $10,000. This mill, with the heaviest water power in the county-- thirty-five-horse-power --has a capacity in its present condition of twenty-five barrels a day. It occupies the same site as the old Jennings mill, Mr. Jennings selling his property to John Dill, who subsequently transferred it to Miller. Its present proprietors are Miller & Banning. Besides the mill, there are in Factoryville one general store and two blacksmith shops the first being the establishment of John Murfin, who opened a stock of goods in 1870, and since that time has had five different competitors. There is also one physician, Dr. Robert Bruce Wallace. John Murfin is the present Postmaster. The population of the village is fifty.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

   JAMES E. BANNING, of Miller & Banning, proprietors Factoryville Flouring Mills, was born near Wheeling, W. Va., in 1842, and removed with his parents to Des Moines County, Iowa, when quite young; residing with them on a farm until fourteen years of age, when he went to Story County, Iowa, and was employed in flouring-mills, etc., there and in other places in that State, until he came to Nebraska in 1859, locating in Otoe County; he was for some six years engaged in farming, after which he was engaged in freighting across the plains; he came to Factoryville in 1874, leased the flouring-mill, and was engaged in conducting it up to July, 1880, when the mill building was torn down by Lawrence Miller and a new one erected and finished in October, 1880, since which time the business has been carried on by Mr. Banning in company with Lawrence Miller; capacity of mill, twenty-five barrels per diem.

   HON. EVANDER W. BARNUM, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., September 28, 1826; he followed farming in that county for several years, and in Miami County, Ohio, for four years; he came to Nebraska in 1857, and located on his present farm in Liberty Precinct, which now consists of 600 acres; besides farming, Mr. Barnum raises considerable stock. He was elected Justice of the Peace about 1858, to the Territorial Legislature in 1860 and 1861, and to the State Senate from Cass County in 1872, serving a term of two years. Mr. Barnum was married in Otsego County, N. Y., February 23, 1860, to Eliza Gilchrist, a native of the county; they have one son, Thomas G.

   HON. JOHN F. BUCK, farmer was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., May 31, 1815; he removed to Peoria County, Ill., in 1831, with his parents, and resided with them on a farm until twenty-one years of age, after which he conducted a farm for himself until he came to Nebraska in May, 1855, locating on his present farm in Liberty Precinct, and has followed farming since, and was also for some years engaged in stock-raising; he is the owner of 478 acres of land. Mr. Buck was elected, in November, 1855, to represent Cass County in the second Territorial Legislature; he has been Justice of the Peace for some twenty years, and has also been identified with the school offices of the district for many years. He was married, in Peoria County, Ill., November 5, 1839, to Mary Schryder, a native of Cayuga County, N. Y.; they have five living children--Maria A., Sarah, Abbie J., John S. and Theodore D.--and five deceased.

   HON. JOSEPH T. CANNON, farmer. P. O. Factoryville, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, in 1814. Here he farmed for some years, and was also employed in woolen mills. In 1839, he was licensed to preach, and for fourteen years labored in the Methodist Church in various districts in Missouri. He became connected with the conference of that denomination in 1851, and was ordained Deacon by Bishop Wall, at Hannibal, Mo. Mr. Cannon came to Nebraska in 1855; was for a year engaged in mercantile business at Nebraska City, and for three years labored in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1859, he removed to Liberty Precinct, and has since been principally engaged in farming. In 1860, he went to Central City, Colo., and labored in the church there for a few months, returning here on account of ill-health. He is still a member of the Methodist Episcopal Conference, but has for the past ten years been superannuated. Mr. Cannon was elected to the State Legislature, from Cass County, about 1870, and served one term. He was married in Berrien, Mich., on November 7, 1835, to Phoebe Jorden. She died here in 1871, leaving three children--Samuel L., William T. and Mary A. He was married a second time in Cass County, in 1874, to Mary S. Daley. They have one son--Joseph Wallace.

   JOHN FREW, farmer, P. O. Factoryville, was born in Allegheny County, Penn., March 2, 1816, and raised on a farm until he reached the age of eighteen years. He then learned the carpenter trade, and followed it there for some years. In 1855, he removed to Jackson County, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for about fourteen or fifteen years. He came to Nebraska in 1869, and located in this precinct. He owns 120 acres of land and a fine residence, lately erected by him. In connection with his farming pursuits he also raises stock. Mr. Frew was married in Washington County, Penn., to Eliza A. Gregg. They have six children--Emma J., Annie, Margery, Flora, Harvey and William.

   STEPHEN B. HOBSON, farmer, etc., P. O. Factoryville, was born in Wayne County, Ind., February 12, 1822. He removed with his parents to Henry County, Ind., when very young, and resided with them on a farm until twenty-two years of age. He assisted his father in general farm work and also in conducting a nursery, subsequently moving to Andrew County, Mo.; was engaged in nursery business there for a short time, after which he took up a farm; set out an orchard, and conducted the same for some twelve years. Mr. Hobson came to Nebraska in 1856, and pre-empted 160 acres of land in Liberty Precinct, and has resided on the same since. In 1857, he set out an apple orchard of seven acres, and has devoted considerable of his time to the cultivation and improvement of apples. He is in possession of a valuable receipt for the preservation of that fruit, the result of his own personal experiments. Mr. Hobson was President of the State Horticultural Society in 1876. He was married in Henry County, Ind., in 1843, to Mary A. Current, a native of Virginia. They have three children--Rebecca M., George A. (Clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church) and Samuel Lee.

   HON. SAMUEL M. KIRKPATRICK, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Nehawka, was born in Adams County, Ohio, August 31, 1815, He resided there on a farm with his parents until he was fourteen years of age, when he went to Montgomery County, Ind.; was engaged in farming and dealing in live-stock until 1838, when he removed to Louisa County, Iowa, and followed the mercantile business some years; was Clerk of the county four years, and in that capacity, also ex officio School Fund Commissioner of Public Schools. In the spring of 1845, he made a trip to the Pacific Slope, remaining there two and a half years, engaged in mining and mercantile business, after which he returned to his home in Iowa, and resided there until he came to Nebraska, in June, 1855, and located on his present farm in Liberty Precinct. He built a saw-mill and carried it on until May, 1856, since which time he has been engaged in conducting his farm and raising stock, etc. He is the owner of 360 acres of land. He was elected a member of the Territorial Council, in 1855, re-elected in 1856, serving the two following years. In 1861, he was elected to represent Otoe, Cass and Dodge Counties in the council. In 1864, he represented Cass County in the House of Representatives, at which time he served as Speaker. He was also a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1871, and also of that of 1875, when the present Constitution was ordained. He was married at Crawfordsville, Ind. in 1836, to Elizabeth McMillan, a native of Virginia. She died in 1839. He was married again in 1841, at Thorndown, Boone Co., Iowa, to Elizabeth Craig, a native of Ohio. They have eight children.

   JOHN MURFIN, dealer in general merchandise, Factoryville, was born in England March 8, 1829. He was brought up in the general dry goods business, and was employed at it some twelve years as clerk and traveling salesman in that country. He emigrated to America in 1856; resided in New York City, and was employed as a traveling salesman in the dry goods business for ten years; subsequently carried on a mercantile business at Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio, for about three years, and came to Nebraska in 1869. He resided for a few months in Plattsmouth, and located in Factoryville in the spring of 1870, since which time he has been engaged in his present business. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1870, and held the office some eight years, and was appointed Notary Public in 1879. He was married in Manchester, Eng., in 1849, to Sarah James, a native of Sheffield, Eng. They have five children--Edwin J., attorney, at Nebraska City, Lucy Atherstone, Annie Mary, Ellen Ophelia and Alice.

   JOHN W. PITMAN, farmer, P. O. Factoryville, was born in Harrison County, Ind., in March, 1834, and was employed in the mercantile business there for several years. In 1855, he removed to Weston, Marion Co., Iowa, and was for about four years engaged in the mercantile business. He came to Nebraska, May 28, 1859; pre-empted 120 acres in Mount Pleasant Precinct, and farmed for a year, after which he went to Nebraska City, and followed freighting across the plains. In 1871, he returned to Cass County, and has since resided in Liberty Precinct. He owns 320 acres of land, and is largely engaged in raising stock. Mr. Pitman was married at Pleasantville, Marion Co., Iowa, January 29, 1857, to Lydia Goodwin. They have seven children--Relia A., Melissa J., Hattie, Charles L., James, Edward A. and Birdie D.

   ISAAC POLLARD, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Nehawka, was born in Windsor Co., Vt., July 11, 1830. He resided on a farm with his parents until twenty-one years of age, subsequently going to California, where he was engaged in mining some four years. He came to Nebraska in June, 1856, and pre-empted 160 acres in Liberty Precinct, on which he has since resided, and devoted his time to farming and stock-raising. Mr. Pollard is the owner of 1,500 acres of land, on which he has three miles of stone fencing. He was elected Commissioner of Cass County about 1860, for a term of three years, and Clerk of Cass County about 1869, holding the office two years. Mr. Pollard was married in Windsor County, Vt., March 11, 1861, to Viola Welch, a native of New York. They have seven children--Hattie A., Lottie M., Emma A., Mark T., Herbert W., Mary and Raymond.

   L. C. POLLARD, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Windsor County, Vt., February 10, 1837, and resided there with his parents on a farm until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1858, locating on his present farm. He has been engaged in conducting the same since, with the exception that he went to Colorado in 1860, where he was engaged in mining for a year. He is the owner of 450 acres of land, of which fifty is an orchard. He also devotes considerable of his time to stock-raising. Mr. Pollard was married in Doniphan County, Kan., in the spring of 1864, to Ellena Nelson, a native of Norway. They have four children--Adeline, Nelson, Sallie and Leona.

   GEORGE F. SCHRYDER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Cayuga September 10, 1822. At fifteen years of age, he removed with his parents to Peoria County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until he came to Nebraska in 1856. Located on his present farm in Liberty Precinct. He has been engaged in conducting it since, and also in stock-raising. Mr. Schryder was married in Peoria County, Ill., January 3, 1852, to Margaret A. Parr, a native of Ireland. They have three children--Sarah M., Ida May and George Lincoln.

   HON. LEVI G. TODD, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., and resided there until twenty-three years of age, during which time he was principally engaged in farming. Mr. Todd crossed the Missouri River, going into Nebraska in the fall of 1853, and resided for a short time with Samuel Martin, an Indian trader, who claimed and caused the present town of Plattsmouth to be surveyed and platted until May, 1854. Mr. Todd taught school in Mills County during the winters of 1853 and 1854. During these winters, there were no settlements made in Nebraska except those made by Indian traders and others here by Government leave. Mr. Todd was back and forth during the fall and winter, settling permanently in the spring of 1854. Mr. Todd entered on and improved a claim of about 200 acres in Cass County, near Plattsmouth. He sold this farm as a claim to James R. Porter in the winter of 1856 or 1857 for the sum of $3,400. In the spring of 1857, he moved to Liberty Precinct, where he pre-empted 160 acres, and has been engaged in conducting the same since. Now owns 1,240 acres of land in this county. Since 1857, he has been engaged in breeding blooded stock, and is the owner of the famous bull, Royal Rose, A. H. 312862. Mr. T. was elected to the Territorial Legislature from Cass County in 1862, and a commissioner of Cass County previous to 1862, serving three years. Was nominated Governor of the State on the Greenback ticket in 1879, but was defeated. Mr. T. was married in Lee County, Iowa, in the spring of 1856, to Lydia Jones, a native of Ohio. They have seven children--Albina, Lizzie, Lewis C., Harry G., Jessie, John and Goodsell.

   GEORGE S. UPTON, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Hardin County, Ky., July 19, 1850; removed with parents when quite young to Holt County, Mo., and resided there until they came to Nebraska in January, 1865. His father, J. S. Upton, located on a farm in Liberty Precinct, and George assisted him in conducting the same until twenty-two years of age, when he began on his own account. He owns some 240 acres of land, and is also engaged in raising considerable blooded stock. He was married in Liberty Precinct, Cass County, December 11, 1873, to Fannie J. Reynolds, a native of Missouri. They have two children--La Roy and Exmoor Wallace.

   ROBERT BRUCE WALLACE, physician and surgeon, was born in Sheridan County, Mo., March 10, 1846. Was a student for some time at Mount Pleasant College, Randolph County, Mo., and in 1864, he came to Nebraska, locating in Nebraska City; was for over a year employed in teaching school. Returning East in 1866, he attended the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, Penn., graduating there in 1868. Subsequently he returned to Nebraska City, and was employed in the drug business for a year, and as clerk in a hotel for one year. He then went to Wyoming, Otoe Co., Neb., and practiced medicine until he came to Factoryville in 1873, since which time he has followed the practice of his profession in this locality. Dr. Wallace has been a member of the Otoe County Medical Society for the past ten years, and President of the society since September, 1881, and has also been a member of the State Medical Society for about seven years.

   CHARLES H. WINSLOW, deceased. The subject of our sketch was born in Augusta, Me., November 13, 1816. He followed the manufacturing of marble there, and in New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Missouri for many years. He came to Nebraska in 1863, locating in Otoe County, near Nebraska City. He was engaged in farming two years. Subsequently he purchased a farm in Liberty Precinct, Cass County, and, moving on the same, was engaged in conducting it until his death. He was a Director of the Nebraska State Board of Agriculture for nine years, a member of the Cass County Agricultural Society for some years, and a strong supporter of temperance. Mr. W. was married, November 13, 1851, to Sarah M. Hunter, a native of Augusta County, Va. He died September 10, 1878, leaving five children--Kate (now Mrs. S. A. Davis), Jennie (now Mrs. J. S. Howard), and Henry A. Charles A. and Martha C. Winslow are living at this time in Jefferson City, Mo.

   WILLIAM W. WOLFE, farmer, P. O. Factoryville, was born in Morgan County, Ill., November 9, 1831, and was reared in Des Moines County, Iowa, near Burlington. At the age of nineteen, he removed to California and followed placer mining for two years. Subsequently returned to his home in Iowa and farmed until he came to Liberty Precinct, Cass County, in May, 1856. Was for some months employed in freighting and otherwise engaged until 1864, when he settled on a farm and has since devoted his time to farming and stock-raising. He has some 275 acres of land. He was married in Liberty Precinct, March 27, 1865, to Lucinda Jane Brinson, a native of Missouri. They have two children--Wesley T. and Jacob J.

AVOCA.

   Avoca is located near the southern line of Cass County, fifteen miles west of the Missouri River and eighteen miles east of the west line of Lancaster County. It is at the railroad crossing of the Missouri Pacific and Wabash roads, and in the midst of some of the finest lands of the State.

   Avoca was platted in February, 1882, by George Fairfield, for Amos Tefft, the owner of the land and first settler. Others began at once to come in and the thirty-five acres of the original plat were soon disposed of. Within one month, eight business houses were established, and the new town, at time of writing, has two general stores, one hardware store, one agricultural warehouse, one grocery store, one furniture store, one drug store, one livery stable, two lumber yards, three blacksmiths, one meat market and one restaurant. It is not improbable that the repair shops of the Missouri Pacific may be located at Avoca, in which case she is certain to attain a high position among the towns of the county.

   The post office was established in 1857, with J. S. Carr as Postmaster, the office being then situated about two miles east of the present village. The various incumbents have been J. S. Carr, Thomas Armstrong, P. Clouser, Amos Tefft and Edward Tromble, who still retains the position, the office having been transferred to the village.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

   GEORGE W. ADAMS, farmer and dealer in stock, P .O. Weeping Water, was born in Crawford County, Penn., December 23, 1836, and reared on farms in Indiana and Illinois. In 1855, he removed to La Salle County, Ill., where he followed farming. He came to Nebraska July 3, 1858, pre-empted 160 acres, and, in June following, moved on to the same, since which time he has followed farming and dealing in and raising stock. Mr. Adams had no means on his arrival here, but has by industry and thrift accumulated a comfortable fortune. He owns 520 acres of land, nearly all improved, besides considerable blooded cattle, horses, hogs, etc. Mr. Adams was for four years Assessor of this precinct. He was married in Cedar County, Iowa, in 1858, to Sabra Gerard, of Indiana. They have one son--Himenus.

   HON. ORLANDO TEFFT, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Avoca. Nebraska, Section 33, Town 10, Range 12. He was born in Elgin, Ill., December 26, 1843. He was educated in the schools of that town, finishing his education in the Elgin Academy. In 1857, his father, Amos Tefft, moved to Cass County, Neb., and engaged in farming, locating on Section 31, in Avoca Precinct, where they lived for several years. In 1866, he purchased his present farm, containing 480 acres, which he has well improved by erecting good buildings, fences, and planting a good orchard; has been engaged in stock-raising chiefly. In 1878, Mr. T. was elected a Representative in the Nebraska Senate, and re-elected in 1880. He was married in Cass County, July 4, 1868, to Miss Elizzie H. Kirkpatrick. They have one child--Clarence E., who was born May 24, 1871. Mr. T. is a man of Western growth and enterprise. He ardently supported C. H. Van Wyck in the session that elected Van Wyck United States Senator, receiving several votes for that position himself.

OTHER TOWNS.

   Three Groves P. O. is located about fourteen miles south of Plattsmouth, under charge of B. Droset.

   Union is in the southeastern part of the county, in Liberty Precinct. There has never been a village of the name, but a Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the vicinity in 1869, a church building being erected and dedicated, the dedicatory service being held May 7, 1871, Thomas B. Lemon officiating. Occasional services are still held, but the church has no regular incumbent.

   Eight Mile Grove is situated in the precinct of the same name, eight miles southwest of Plattsmouth; the earliest settlement in the vicinity was made in the spring of 1856 by John Craig, Daniel and Peter Beaver and William Berger, taking claims later in the season. In the fall of the same year, George Walradt came into the precinct. A Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and a small church building of that denomination dedicated January 1, 1871. It has since been torn down. A Methodist organization is now in existence, ministered to by the Rev. Mr. Cooley. There is also one store and a blacksmith shop. The present Postmaster is Dr. Sharpe.

   Concord.--The first settlers near Concord, in Eight Mile Grove Precinct, seven miles northwest of Plattsmouth, were Peter and Daniel Beaver, who located in the township in 1856. The Omaha & Southwestern Railroad having its terminus for awhile on the north side of the Platte, opposite this point, a town was laid out, in 1871, and a ferry established by W. W. Conner. Subsequently, a station was established by the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, though no settlement was ever effected on the town site. The station house was subsequently demolished for fuel by the natives, and nothing remains to testify to the existence of the so-called city.

   Cedar Creek was laid out in 1865 in the northern part of the county, in Eight Mile Grove Precinct, about ten miles west of Plattsmouth. The original proprietors were John Inhelder, Isaac and George Sales, the two last transferring their interest to Inhelder shortly after the inauguration of the enterprise. It has never been anything but a paper city, though having at one time two stores and being something of a grain-purchasing point. It has now one small store and one or two dwelling houses on the town site, the accredited population of the census of 1880, which gives the place seventy-five inhabitants, taking note of several surrounding sections.

   Mt. Pleasant P. O. is located about eight miles west of the Missouri River and the same distance from the south line of the county, in the township of the same name. The most noteworthy feature of the precinct is the fact of the existence of a Good Templars Lodge, which is the only one which lived through the war. It has also a Methodist Episcopal Church organization, which holds services at irregular intervals. The post office is located at a farm house and there is no village of the name.

   Sunlight is in the southwestern part of the county, in Stove Creek Precinct. A paper city of the same name was laid out in 1857, but no settlement sufficient to constitute a village has ever been made, although there is now a store, in connection with the post office, and a blacksmith shop.

   Elmwood is a post office in Elmwood Precinct, located twenty-two miles southwest of Plattsmouth. S. E. Greenslate, Postmaster. In the vicinity are two stores and a blacksmith shop, and a dozen or more houses.

   Other post offices in the county, located at farmhouses, and with out any settlement in close propinquity, are Mainland and Bushberry, in Elmwood Precinct; Eagle, in Tipton Precinct; Victoria, in Weeping Water precinct; Nehawka, in Liberty Precinct, and Center Valley, in Avoca Precinct.

   In addition to the above names might be mentioned those of scores of paper cities, which have had no existence whatever, except in imagination. Of these, at various times during the antebellum days, shares have been quoted and sold in the towns of Bluffdale, Centerville, Carlyle, Capital City, Cladonia, Clay City, Elgin and El Dorado.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

EIGHT-MILE GROVE PRECINCT.

   HENRY AHL, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Germany December 16, 1851, and emigrated with his parents to America in 1854, and was raised on a farm in Mills County, Iowa. In 1864, his father, John Ahl, moved to Eight-Mile Grove, and Henry resided with him on a farm until he reached the age of twenty-six years, when he began to farm on his own account. He has in his farm 145 acres, and is also engaged in stock-raising. He was married at Eight-Mile Grove, Neb., May 7, 1879, to Bertha Walradt they have two children--Mary and Carrie.

   HON. SAMUEL BARKER, stock dealer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Derby, England, February 22, 1830. He emigrated to America in 1853, and followed farming in Jefferson County, N. Y., for some time, and afterward in Washington County, Iowa. He came to Nebraska in 1856, and for a year or so resided at Weeping Water; then removed to Eight-Mile Grove, his present residence. Mr. Barker is a large farmer, and is also extensively engaged in buying and shipping live stock. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1877, to represent Cass and Saunders Counties, and served one term. Mr. B. was married in Cass County to Lydia M. J. Wood; they have fourteen living children and three deceased.

   PETER T. BEAVER, farmer, P. O. Cedar Creek, was born in Virginia May 10, 1817, and was for some years employed in farming, working in saw-mills, etc. then in same capacities in Ohio and Stark County, Ill., and farmed four years in Floyd County, Iowa. He came to Nebraska in August, 1856, and located in Eight-Mile Grove, since which time he has given his attention to farming and raising stock. In 1864, he enlisted in the First Nebraska Cavalry, and served fourteen months. In 1877, he went to the Black Hills, Dak., and built a saw-mill, which is still conducted by two of his sons. Mr. Beaver has a nice home, and owns over two hundred acres of land. He has held many of the precinct offices. He was married in Ohio, August 20, 1842, to Mary S. Armstrong; they have eleven children--Valentine M., Robert A., Martin L., Lucinda E., John H., Mary M., David J., Albert R., Isabella L., Alice L. and William H.

   JOHN H. BECKER, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Germany November 3, 1840, and emigrated to America in 1857, and followed farming as an occupation in Tazewell County, Ill., until he came to Eight-Mile Grove, Neb., in March, 1878, since which time he has farmed and raised stock. He is the owner of 720 acres of land, and is one of the leading farmers in this county. Mr. Becker was married at Pekin, Ill., May 12, 1864, to Harriet Fuller, they have six children--George A., William A., Mary E., Henry E., Phillip T. and Dora A.

   FRANK P. BUSHE, farmer, P. O. Cedar Creek, was born in Philadelphia March 27, 1838, and, when quite young, removed with his parents to Du Bois County, Ind., and a few years later went to Kentucky, where he was employed in the coal mines; afterward in the same capacity in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. He came to Nebraska in 1867, homesteaded forty acres in Eight-Mile Grove, and has farmed since; has on his premises three stone buildings, consisting of a barn, granary and chicken house. Mr. Bushe was married in Rock Island, Ill., in 1859, to Claopha Whelder; they have ten children--Mary, Annie, Margaret, Kate, John, Emma, Rose, Ida, Matilda and Frank.

   JOHN M. CRAIG, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1840, and raised on a farm and followed farming there for a livelihood. He came to Nebraska in 1860, and located in Eight Mile Grove, since which time he has followed farming and stock-raising, and was also, from 1862 to 1867, engaged in freighting across the plains. Mr. Craig was for seventeen years Clerk of the township.

   JAMES MONROE CRAIG, farmer, P. O. Eight-Mile Grove, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, December 9, 1854, and, a few years later, removed to Green Lake County, Wis. He came with his parents to Nebraska in the fall of 1860, and resided with them in Plattsmouth for two years. His father then moved on to a farm in the neighborhood, and, in 1873, to this farm in Eight-Mile Grove Precinct. Mr. J. M. Craig has always given his attention to farming, etc.; has some 320 acres of land. His father, Samuel Monroe Craig, died here in August, 1881, and the subject of our sketch manages the estate.

   GEORGE A. CREAMER, farmer. P. O. Cedar Creek, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, October 9, 1816, and followed farming as an occupation, removing to McLean County, Ill., in 1850. He farmed there until he came to Nebraska in April, 1859; was for four years engaged as a carpenter at Oreopolis, Cass County, and, in 1863, moved on to his present farm in Eight Mile Grove. He owns eighty acres of land, and, in connection with his farming pursuits, raises considerable stock and fruit. He has been Justice of the Peace for the past fifteen years. Mr. C. was married in Bloomington, Ill., in 1856, to Elizabeth J. Hefner. They have five children--Emily F., Charles L., Mariam R., Margaret J. and Manda L.

   HON. JOSEPH C. GILMORE, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Mercer County, Penn., December 17, 1832. Here he was variously employed, and in 1854, went to Walworth County, Wis., and farmed until he came to Nebraska in August, 1859. Located at Four Mile Creek, Cass County, for a short time subsequently moving to Lancaster County; was for several years engaged in farming, in 1859, he was elected Probate Judge of that county, and filled the office one year. In 1860, he returned to Cass County, and resided in Plattsmouth; was for eight years engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver. He then settled on his present premises in Eight Mile Grove, and has since given his attention to farming and raising stock. He is the owner of 240 acres of land. Mr. Gilmore was elected to the State Legislature in 1877, to represent Cass County, and served one term; and he has also filled many of the local precinct offices. He was married at Geneva, Wis., to Elizabeth J. Forest. They have three living children--William L., Surveyor on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, Myrtle and Coral; and one deceased, Charles.

   O. H. GOODWIN, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., June 2, 1831, and, at ten years of age, removed to Potter County, Penn.; five years later, he returned to his native place and was employed on farms for some time, after which he learned the trade of blacksmith, and was employed at it there for twelve years. He then went to Jones County, Iowa, where he farmed and followed his trade, and also for three years carried on a blacksmith shop at Davenport, Iowa. He came to Eight Mile Grove in April, 1869, and has since given his attention to farming. He is the owner of 420 acres of land. Mr. Goodwin has filled the offices of Director and Treasurer of the school district for several terms. He was married in Davenport, Iowa, in 1866, to Elizabeth E. Propst. They have one son, Robert.

   JOHN H. HASEMEIER, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1814, and here he followed farming. He immigrated to America at the age of seventeen years; was for some years employed as a laborer in Franklin County, Penn., and for twelve years in various capacities at New Castle, Henry County, Ind. In the fall of 1867, he came to Eight-Mile Grove, and has since followed farming and stock-raising. He owns 260 acres of land, five acres of which is a fine orchard. Mr. H. was married in Franklin County, Penn., February 9, 1848, to Mary Magdalena Potter, a native of Washington County, Ind. They have four children--Jacob A., doctor at Louisville, Mary C., Benjamin and Charles D.

   JOHN IMHELDER, farmer, P. O. Cedar Creek, was born in Switzerland in 1808. Here he carried on a saw and grist mill, and immigrated to America in 1856; was for two years employed as a laborer at Davenport, Iowa, then in Rock Island, Ill., in the same capacity. He came to Nebraska in 1859, located in Plattsmouth Precinct and farmed for two years; then moved to Eight-Mile Grove. He had some 520 acres of land, but gave it to his children, with the exception of forty acres, part of which is the town site of Cedar Creek. Mr. Imhelder was married in Switzerland in 1831; his wife died in 1838, leaving four children--Jacob, John, Mary and Ulrich. He was married a second time in Switzerland in 1839, to Claopha Frey. She died in 1854, leaving eight children--Barbara, Catharine, Claopha, Burkhardt, Christian, Matthew, Margaret and Henry. Mr. I. was married a third time in Davenport, Iowa, to Elizabeth Sulzer. Christian Imhelder, farmer, was born in Switzerland in 1845; came to America with his father, John Imhelder, and located with him in Nebraska. He now farms eighty acres in Eight Mile Grove. Mr. I. was married at Cedar Creek in 1873, to Clemenza Bates. They have four children--Emma, John, Frank and Henry.

   JUSTUS LILLIE, farmer, P. O. Cedar Creek, was born in Medina County, Ohio, in 1839, and reared in Kalamazoo, Mich. where he was for some time employed in a saw mill. In 1855, he went to Bureau County, Ill., and followed farming, until he enlisted, September, 1861, in the Fifty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and served until July 4, 1864. Returning to Kalamazoo, Mich., he was again employed in a saw-mill. He came to Eight Mile Grove in 1871, and has followed farming since. He owns eighty acres, and is also engaged in raising stock. Mr. Lillie was married in Kalamazoo, Mich., in March, 1865, to Emma Cooley. She died in 1879, leaving one son--Albert. He was married a second time in Cass County, April 24, 1882, to Annie Vetch.

   JOHN T. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Peoria County, Ill., in 1841, and followed farming as an occupation. He came to Nebraska in December, 1877, and located on his present premises--eighty acres of land in Eight-Mile Grove, since which time he has been engaged in farming and raising stock. Mr. Moore was married in Peoria County, Ill., in August, 1865, to Mary E. Eldred. They have five children--William, Minnie, Jennie, May and Jessie

   HON. JOHN F. POLK, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in North Carolina in 1833 and reared in Henry County, Ind. Here he taught school for some years, and in 1856, was elected to the office of Surveyor of the County, holding the same for some sixteen years. He came. to Nebraska in the fall of 1872, and in the following spring located on his present farm, in Eight Mile Grove. He owns 261 acres of land and is also engaged in raising stock. In 1878, in company with his son, Milton B., he purchased the works, etc., of the Louisville Stoneware Manufacturing Company, and they conduct the same together. Mr. Polk was elected to the State Legislature in 1879, to represent Cass County, and filled the office one term.

   JOHN RAMSEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 32, Town 12, Range. 12, P. O. Eight Mile Grove, was born in Beaver County, Penn., March 4, 1837; worked at the trade of carpenter in Pennsylvania three years and came to Cass County in February, 1859, purchasing his present farm in 1864, which he has brought under a high state of improvement; a thrifty orchard of 100 trees and grapery of fifty vines, besides other small fruits. Mr. Ramsey was married in Cass County, January 17, 1861, to Miss Dorthy Ann Hobson, who was born in Yadkin County, N. C., June 16, 1839, and who came to Nebraska with her brother-in-law, R. R. Davis, in 1858. They have six children--William B., born October 16, 1861; Hugh B., December, 1862; Larrence P., June 2, 1866; Charles D., November 13, 1870; John M., June 29, 1873 and James B., May 17, 1877. They have buried one child, M. D.; born February 7, 1880; died November 20, 1881.

   SAMUEL RICHARDSON, farmer, P. O. Eight Mile Grove, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, December 12, 1827, residing with his parents until seventeen years of age, when he went to Noble County, Ohio, and was there employed some six years as a packer in the tobacco business; afterward as a chair-maker for some nine years. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1860, and located on his present farm at Eight-Mile Grove, Cass County, and has been engaged in conducting it since. He owns 320 acres of land. Mr. Richardson was Justice of the Peace at Eight-Mile Grove for two years, and at Mount Pleasant two years. He was elected Commissioner of Cass County in the fall of 1878, and entered upon his duties in January, 1879, serving three years; was elected for another three years in the fall of 1881. Mr. Richardson was married in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1849, to Jane E. Thomas. She died in Cass County, Neb., March 24, 1864, leaving three children--Mary E., now Mrs. J. R. Valley; Margaret E., now Mrs. Daniel Satchell, and Jane C. He was married a second time, in Cass County, Neb., in August, 1864, to Mary E. Kennedy, widow of the late Barton Kennedy. They have three children--William T., Frank S. and Florence E.

   GEORGE E. SAYLES, merchant, Cedar Creek, was born at Dover, N. H., April 21, 1848, and lives in Illinois until 1857, when he came to Nebraska with his parents. He resided with them on a farm in Eight-Mile Grove for ten years, after which he farmed for himself in the neighborhood until the fall of 1880, when he engaged in the mercantile business. He carries a stock of about $6,000. He was appointed Postmaster at Cedar Creek, July 11, 1876, and still holds the office, and his also been for the past six years Director of the District School Board. Mr. Sayles was married in Cass County, July 4, 1870, to Frances A. Cooley. They have four children--Susan A., Ida H., George R. and Eva E.

   CHRISTIAN SCHLUNTZ, proprietor of Cedar Creek Mills, was born in Germany in 1836. Here he learned the trade of miller, and immigrated to America in 1857; was for three years employed at his trade in Mills County, Iowa, and subsequently farmed for a year. In 1861, he crossed the Missouri River and conducted Sarpy's Mill, at Plattsmouth, for a few months, after which he returned to Mills County and followed milling there for two years. Returning to Plattsmouth, he was for a few mouths engaged in mill business; then for several years in Rock Bluff. In August, 1869, he purchased his present mill property, which he has since largely improved, and the. mill, etc., is now valued at $15,000. It has a water-power equal to 20-horse power, and a capacity of 100 bushels of flour per day. He has also improved his residence property, and has one of the handsomest houses in the county. Mr. Schluntz was married at Mills County, Iowa, in 1860, to Margaret Schoeaning, who died in 1866, leaving two children--Mary and Dorethea. He was married a second time in Cass County, Neb., in 1867, to Emma Roenau. They have one son--Henry.

   FRANK P. TRASTER, merchant, Cedar Creek, was born in Wooster, Ohio, February 29, 1856. Here he was educated in medicine, but turned his attention to school teaching and followed it some months in Hancock County, Ohio. In 1876, he went to Tazewell County, Ill., and taught school near Pekin for four years, during three years of which period he also read law. He came to Nebraska, April 29, 1880, and for nearly one year farmed in Eight-Mile Grove; then taught school at Cedar Creek, and on April 1, 1882, he engaged in the mercantile business. He carries a stock of about $2,000.

   GEORGE WALRADT, farmer and stock-grower, Section 17, Town 12, Range 12, P. O. Eight-Mile Grove, was born in Fort Plains, N. Y., December 25, 1835. When about fifteen, he went into the employ of William French, a large farmer, merchant and distiller, of Montgomery County, N. Y., where he remained several years. At twenty years of age, he went to Yonkers, on the Hudson, and found employment at the castle of Edwin Forrest, the great tragedian, as coach-driver, where he remained a little more than a year, when he came West, stopping a few months in Bureau County, Ill., coming to Nebraska in the fall of 1856. In Bureau County, he purchased an ox team there, sending for his wife, coming through with his ox team. Like many of the pioneers, he came having very little means, consisting of an ox team and $30.63. He pre-empted eighty acres of land on the River Bottom, near Plattsmouth, which he sold, and subsequently purchased 160 acres of Charles Tozier, adding to his original purchase until at the present time he owns 420 acres. He was married at Yonkers, N. Y., January 17, 1856, to Miss Mary Ann Hunter. She died in Eight-Mile Grove, August 3, 1870, leaving four children--Abram B., born June 6, 1858; Bertha, July 20, 1861; Mary, December 24, 1862, and George, May 13, 1865. Mr. Walradt was again married, December 14, 1875, to Mrs. Jane Thompson, who was born in Scotland, July 14, 1843, and who had, when married the second time, four children--Benjamin, born January 15, 1863; Eleanor, January 6, 1865; Jane, November 28, 1868, and Jane, September 13, 1871. They have three children--Amanda, born June 24, 1876; Nettie, August 27, 1879, and Andrew, May 30, 1880. Mr. Walradt made a trip across the plains to Denver, with flour, in the spring of 1864.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index