Topography and General Features | Produce | Early Settlement|
Indian Troubles | Club Law | Early Schools
Organization | County Seat Troubles | Official Roster | War History|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferries
Cass County Agricultural Society | Cass County Medical Society
Pioneer Association of Cass County | Hard Winters and Storms
Plattsmouth: Early Settlement | City Government | Educational|
Religious | The Press
Plattsmouth (cont.): The Medical Profession | The Bar|
Government Offices | Missouri River Improvement | Societies | Banks
Hotels | Public Halls | Manufactories | General Business Interests
5 ~ 8:
ADAMS ~ GUTHMANN | HARTIGAN ~ MERTENS
MILLER ~ SHAFER | SHANNON ~ YOUNG
Weeping Water: Early Settlement | Organization | Educational|
Religious | Societies | The Press | Business Interests | Railroads
Louisville: Religious | Educational | Manufactories | Business Houses|
Railroads | Biographical Sketches
Greenwood: Religious | General Matters
Rock Bluff City
Biographical Sketches: Rock Bluff Precinct|
South Bend: Religious | Educational | Biographical Sketches
Factoryville: Biographical Sketches|
Avoca: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches: Eight-Mile Grove Precinct
Biographical Sketches: |
Mt. Pleasant Precinct | Elmwood Precinct | Center Precinct
List of Illustrations in Cass County Chapter
DAVID MILLER, of Streight & Miller, manufacturers and dealers in harness, etc., Plattsmouth, was born in Washington County, Ohio, in 1849. In 1856, he removed with his parents to Ottumwa, Iowa. He learned trade of harness-maker at Osceola, Iowa, serving an apprenticeship of three and a half years, was then employed at trade in Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota, until he came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in 1871, and was employed as journeyman harness-maker, until he joined Jason Streight in his present business in 1873. This is the oldest harness business in Plattsmouth, it being established in 1866, by Jason Streight. Mr. Miller was elected City Councilman from the Third Ward, in the spring of 1880, and served two years and also elected Assessor of the Third Ward, in the spring of 1881. He was married at Plattsmouth, in 1873, to Mrs. Irish, formerly, Miss Mattie Mitchell, a native of Ohio. They have two children--Thomas E. and Harry.
SAMUEL MILLER, physician and surgeon, was born in the county of York, Can., in 1824; was a student of the Toronto School of Medicine for three and one-half years. January 9, 1851, he passed his examination before the Medical Board of Upper Canada; was licensed to practice by Lord Elgin, Governor of Canada; was engaged in his practice in Ontario until 1859. September 8, 1857, he was appointed during pleasure to be Assistant Surgeon of the Second Battalion of the Wentworth Militia. Held that position until he resigned two years later, going to Texas County, Mo. He practiced there for two years, then at St. Louis, Mo. In March, 1862, was appointed Surgeon in the Mound City Hospital, Mo., remaining there until the following June. He then practiced in Hamilton, Can ., for some years, in Franklin County, Mo., for six years, and at Sheldon, Iowa, for one year, after which he traveled in Kansas. He came to Nebraska in October, 1879, located at Alma, Harlan County, and followed the practice of his profession until he came to Plattsmouth, December 14, 1881.
LLEWELLYN A. MOORE, florist, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, March 3, 1854. Came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in 1856, with his parents during his youth. He was employed as a gardener. In 1870, Mr. Moore built a hot-house, and at once entered upon the business of raising flowers; his business since its inauguration has developed rapidly, now requiring three buildings, even these being insufficient to meet the large demands made upon the products of his rare skill and taste.
JAMES E. MORRISON, attorney at law, was born in Lee County, Iowa, in August, 1849. He was educated at the Fort Madison Academy, Lee County, Iowa, taking a four years' course; afterward at Iowa State University, graduating there in the class of 1876, and was admitted to practice at the bar by virtue of his diploma. He was then engaged in teaching school till he came to Nebraska in May, 1877, locating at Plattsmouth, and practicing his profession alone till September, 1879, when he associated with him W. L. Browne. They continued in partnership till October, 1881, when Mr. Browne retired from the firm.
MICHAEL B. MURPHY, flour, feed and commission merchant, was born in Ireland in September, 1839; came to America in 1841, and resided with parents at Detroit, Mich., and while there learned the trade of harness-maker, serving an apprenticeship of five years. He was then employed as a journeyman harness-maker in Canada, and in Ohio and other States, carrying on business for himself at Ottumwa, Iowa, for one year. He came to Nebraska in 1863, located in Plattsmouth, and was engaged in the manufacture of harness for a year, after which he was engaged in ranching in Lincoln County, Neb., in company with his brother, E. B. Murphy, for some three years. Returning to Plattsmouth, he was for three years engaged in the harness business in company with J. Streight. Mr. Murphy then entered the employ of the United States mail service; was employed three years as route agent on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, and afterward on the Union Pacific Railroad as postal clerk, remaining in that capacity until the spring of 1881, and in the following October began his present business. He was Marshal of the city of Plattsmouth for some seven or eight years. He was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, in 1860, to America A. Baker. She died September 22, 1868, leaving three children--Minnie C., Frederick A. and America A. Mr. Murphy was married again at Plattsmouth in 1873 to Frances L. Mitchell, a native of Ohio. They have one son--Charles Bennett.
PATRICK B. MURPHY, proprietor of Central Dining Hall and Monarch Billiard Hall, was born in Ireland in 1838, coming to America one year later. He resided with parents in Wayne County, Mich. Was employed in farming, and also learned the trade of carpenter there, serving an apprenticeship of three years, and was employed as a journeyman several years. He came West in 1867, and was for two years engaged in erecting ranch buildings, etc., in this State and Colorado, finally locating in Plattsmouth in 1869. He was engaged for some four years as a contractor and builder. He was elected Marshal of the city in 1874, and re-elected in 1876 and 1878. During 1877, Mr. Murphy was engaged in mining in the Black hills, Dakota. He served as a Deputy under M. B. Cutler, Sheriff of Cass County in 1874 and 1875, and under Sheriff Hyers in 1878, 1879 and 1880, resigning in July, 1881. He opened the Monarch Billiard Hall, which is on the temperance plan, and has proved a decided success. Mr. Murphy opened the Central Dining Hall in February, 1882.
THOMAS L. MURPHY, contractor Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company, was born in Ireland. He came to America in 1851. After residing in New York City for some two years, he went to Dubuque, Iowa, and lived with his uncle on a farm for some years; then employed in the construction department of the Union Pacific Railroad for about a year. He came to Nebraska in 1862. Was engaged in freighting across the plains and mining in the Western States for five years, after which he again worked for the Union Pacific Railroad, and also for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company in the State of Iowa. He came to Plattsmouth in 1869, and was employed by John Fitzgerald, railroad contractor, as foreman. In 1870, he entered the employ of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company in Nebraska; had charge of stone quarries in Cass County for six months, then in charge of laying track on the main line for two years, and afterward in charge of the construction train for over six years, then roadmaster for the company at this place for two years, and since September 1, 1881, has been engaged in his present business.
JOSHUA MURRAY, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Moniteau County, Mo., in 1833, and reared on a farm. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1854, pre-empted 160 acres of land in Rock Bluff Precinct, and farmed there for some seventeen years, after which he was for about nine months employed as a clerk in the mercantile business at the city of Plattsmouth. He then turned his attention again to farming, moving on to his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct. He is the owner of 240 acres of land, and is largely engaged in raising stock. He has at times held various offices in the precinct. Mr. Murray was married in Mills County, Iowa, August 1, 1860, to Lucina Walker. They have five children--Alvis C., Estella M., Charles E., Emery E. and Joshua L.
W. R. MURRAY, farmer, P. O. Plattsmouth, was born in Moniteau County, Mo., September 29, 1841, and came to Nebraska with his parents in the fall of 1855, residing with them on a farm in Rock Bluff Precinct. He assisted his father in farming. In 1864, he began on his own account, moving on to his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct. Mr. Murray owns 240 acres of land, and is also largely engaged in raising stock, and has at times held many of the precinct offices. He was married, in Cass County, in 1863, to Harriet Jeans. They have six children--Luella, Nelson, Lorena, Alice, Ada and William R., Jr.
WILLIAM H. NEWELL, of W. H. Newell & Co., dealers in live stock and grain, was born in Center County, Penn., December 3, 1837. At seventeen years of age, he removed to Scioto County, Ohio, and was for some time employed in attending to the furnaces in and about the iron mines. He enlisted August 7, 1862, in the Ninety-first Ohio Infantry, and served till the war closed. Was then engaged as station master on the Portsmouth Branch of the C. R. R., and also in contracting, mining, etc., till he came to Nebraska in 1870. He located in Cass County, and engaged in farming till January, 1875, when he entered upon his duties as County Judge, having been elected in October, 1874. He held that office until December, 1877, and was then engaged in farming for two years. January 1, 1879, he entered into his present business in company with C. H. Parmele, and they have continued together since under the above style. Mr. Newell is also Treasurer of Cass County, having been elected to that office in November, 1881. He was married at Bloom Station, Scioto County, Ohio, to Matilda Searle, a native of that place. They have five children--Bertha, Mary, Ella, James W. and Josephine.
MICHAEL O'DONOHOE, attorney at law, was born in Ireland October 22, 1842. Was educated in the Dublin model schools, and was for over ten years employed as a teacher in the national schools of that country, in Kings County. He came to America in 1866. Was employed in the Lodi Chemical Works, N. J., for a few months, after which was a correspondent on the staff of the New York Herald for a short time, then in the engineer corps of the Union Pacific Railroad Company out West, and was also on the police force at Chicago, Ill., for a short time in 1868. He came to Plattsmouth, Neb., in 1869, and was in the employ of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company in various capacities for some six years, after which he made a trip to Ireland in 1875, returning here in the latter part of 1876. In 1877, be was elected Justice of the Peace, and he held that office till January, 1882. He has been and still is agent for the property of John Fitzgerald, of Lincoln, at this place, since 1879, and is also agent for the Red Star and American Steamship Lines. He began reading law with George S. Smith, of Plattsmouth, Surveyor General of Nebraska, in 1877, and was admitted to the bar November 20, 1879.
[RESIDENCE OF CAPT. JOHN O'ROURKE.]
CAPTAIN JOHN O'ROURKE, Assistant Cashier of the First National Bank, was born in Ireland in December, 1834, and employed as a practical miller until his emigration to America in 1857. He first located in the city of Milwaukee, Wis., remaining there three years in the capacity of a book-keeper, then entering the employ of John Fitzgerald (now of Lincoln, Neb.), at that time contractor on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; as clerk and paymaster at Neenah, Wis., and subsequently at Greenfield, Mass., in the same employ. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the "old Montgomery Guards" at Milwaukee, attached to the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, being almost immediately commissioned Captain of Company D, of which he continued in charge until December, 1861, re-enlisting and receiving his commission as Captain of Battery L, First Illinois Light Artillery, in February, 1862. on February 10, 1864, while in the advanced line of the army before Petersburg, W. Va., his left shoulder was broken and himself taken prisoner, being first confined in Libby Prison Hospital, then in prison at Macon, Ga, and subsequently at Charleston, S. C., where he was one of the six hundred officers who received the fire of the Union guns, during the siege of that city. After five unsuccessful attempts to escape, made at various times, he at last, and all alone, succeeded in eluding his guards at Columbia, S. C., in March, 1865, after thirteen months of imprisonment, reaching the Union lines at Charleston four weeks thereafter. He was then appointed paymaster's clerk, a position which he retained until the cessation of hostilities in the fall of 1865. In 1866, returned to Milwaukee, where he kept books for a short time, then locating and remaining in Juneau County, Wis., as one of the firm of John Fitzgerald & Co. for several years. In the fall of 1867, was elected to represent Juneau County in the General Assembly, and, in 1868, as County Treasurer. At the expiration of his term of office, he entered the employ of John Fitzgerald as confidential clerk and secretary. Coming to Nebraska arid locating at Plattsmouth in November, 1874, he was appointed Assistant Cashier of the First National Bank, and has been annually re-elected since. Was elected Treasurer of the Plattsmouth Board of Trade in 1881, re-elected in 1882, and elected Mayor of the city in April, 1881 for a term of two years. He was married in Milwaukee January 19, 1875, to Annie M. Gilmore, a native of that place, and has four children--Marie E., John Gilmore, Annie Louise and Joseph Thomas.
[Portrait of H. Palmer.]
HENRY E. PALMER, special agent Home Insurance Company, New York, for Nebraska, Kansas Colorado and the Territories, Plattsmouth, was born in Centerville, town of Madison, Lake County, Ohio, July 31, 1841. Moved with his parents to Fairfield, Sauk County, Wis., in April, 1853. Tiring of a farmer boy's life among the stumps of the then far-off Western home, the schoolhouse five miles away, and the chances for even a common-school education proportionately as much farther as one can imagine, he mentally resolved and carried the resolution into effect, by stepping out from under the parental roof into the wide, wide world, to enter life's earnest battle on his own account when only eighteen years old (no one guessed him to be over fourteen), on March 7, 1860; with only a brave heart, willing hands and faithful feet, breathing a prayer for dear mother, the four brothers and sisters, and the stern but ever loving father, alone in the world he tramped it from Baraboo, Wis., to Omaha, in the then Territory of Nebraska. Entirely alone, he crossed Iowa when there were but fifty miles of railroad in the State, working for his board from Omaha to the mountains as assistant cook for the train, walking the entire distance to Mountain City, Colo., 1,250 miles, in two months. Was engaged in mining until July 12, 1861, when his companions, twenty-three out of a party of twenty-four prospectors, started for the Confederate army. Young Palmer said, "No, I will not go with you; I am from Ohio, and will fight for the stars and stripes," starting the same day by horse team for Leavenworth, Kan., the nearest point for enlistment, 800 miles away. At Maryville, Kan., then an outpost settlement, fearing that the war would be over before the team could reach the Missouri River, he left the wagon, and with James Crawford--now brother-in-law of Nebraska's present Member of Congress--walked to Atchison, Kan., 130 miles, in forty consecutive hours, arriving at Fort Leavenworth July 30. Enlisted, and was mustered in as private July 31, 1861; was promoted Second Lieutenant of Artillery, October 7, 1861, for bravery on the battle-field at Drywood, Mo., September 2, 1861; was ordered to Wisconsin in December following, after forty recruits for Lane's brigade. Gov. Randall refused to let them leave the State, but assigned them to the First Wisconsin Cavalry, that the State should have credit, promoting Lieut. Palmer to First Lieutenant, a position which he soon after resigned to accept a captaincy on the staff of Gen. J. H. Lane, who was then organizing the Texas expedition. Gen. Lane soon after went into the United States Senate, leaving his staff to carve out their own fortunes. Young Palmer sold his captain's uniform, and for the second time enlisted as a private; was immediately raised from the ranks to Regimental Commissary Sergeant, Fourth Kansas Infantry. By command of Gen. Denver, the Third and Fourth Kansas Infantry were consolidated, and the field and staff, including non-commissioned staff, of the Fourth Kansas, were mustered out, and Sergt. Palmer was again a civilian, April 19, 1862. With a recruiting commission, he raised Company A, Eleventh Kansas, Infantry, and started for Arkansas, August 20, 1862, as Second Lieutenant, in command of Company A, a position held by him through the several battles of Maysville, Cane Hill, Boston Mountain, Prairie Grove and Van Buren, no other officer being present for duty until December 31, 1862, when he was promoted First Lieutenant; February 20, 1863, to Captain same company. In June following, his regiment was ordered to St. Louis, en route to Sherman's army, but owing to the depredations of guerrillas, was turned to Western Missouri, and then by order of the Secretary of War, mounted and formally changed to Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. For over a year Capt. Palmer fought Quantrell, and at the Lawrence raid, memorable to the everlasting degradation of the demoniacal guerrillas, was the only commander who had the pleasure of punishing the murderous villains. Capt. Palmer was married September 23, 1863, to Miss Bettie Houck, of Westport, Mo., a blood relative of Gen. R. E. Lee. This marriage, a most happy one, was severed by death, who took both mother and child, February 18 and 27, 1865. During the Price Campaign in 1864, Capt. Palmer joined Jo Shelby's rebel riders with twenty Federal soldiers, picked men from ten cavalry companies, all disguised as guerrillas; after two days' service with Shelby, "bushwhacked" his advance, and kept up constant communication with Gen. Curtis, and at Lexington, when ordered to surrender his command, which had been increased to 230 men, charged through Fagan's division of 7,000 rebels to the retreating Unionists. In January, 1865, Capt. Palmer was ordered to Fort Riley, Kan., and early in February--part of the time in command of the entire regiment--marched through the most frightful storms to Fort Kearney, Neb., where, on March 3, 1865, he learned the painful news of the death of his wife and child. In June, 1865, Capt. Palmer was assigned to duty on the staff of Gen. P. E. Connor, as Acting Assistant Adjutant General of the District of the Plains, 17,000 troops in the district; 2,500 were engaged in guarding the overland mail line. In September and October, same year, took part in the Powder River Expedition, and was present at the several Indian battles in the Big Horn Country, at Tongue River fight, where 145 men, Indians and whites, were killed, and the troopers were compelled to ride 135 miles without food or rest; mustered out of the service November 2, 1865, by reason of expiration of term. Capt. Palmer declined a Second Lieutenancy in the Second United States Cavalry, and in the spring of 1866 left Kansas City, Mo., for Fort Laramie, with four wagon-loads of Indian goods, from Laramie to Clear Fork on Powder River. After a five days' stay at Clear Fork, the entire party were captured by the Cheyennes. After some parleying, they permitted Palmer and his party to proceed northward to the Big Horn River, where Capt. Palmer built the first ferry on that stream, and the first cabin in all that region of country, his nearest neighbor being at Fort Reno, 200 miles away, with three half breeds and 700 full-blood Indians as companions. Here he remained until the breaking-out of the Red Cloud war in July, 1866, when old Davy, the chief, quietly confiscated all his goods, and confined the Captain in a tepee for three weeks. After moving to a point near what was subsequently Custer's last battle-ground, the Captain was permitted to keep his scalp, and foot it to Montana, where he engaged in mining until March, 1867, when he, with a party of sixteen, started to cross the range for Salmon River; five of the party froze by the wayside. As one of the founders of Salmon City, first City Clerk, editor Salmon River Mining News, and Chief of the Vigilantes, Capt. Palmer was a well-known citizen until October, 1867, when he moved to Virginia City, and with Judge Stackpole, now Postmaster at Deer Lodge, successfully served as mine host of the International Hotel. Returning to the States via Fort Benton in the fall of 1868, Capt. Palmer drifted around among his relatives until January 3, 1869, when he located at Plattsmouth, Neb., in the grain business, shipping the first two car-loads of grain ever shipped by rail from Southern Nebraska. June 25, 1870, Mr. Palmer was married to Laura Z. Case, then a resident of Plattsmouth, and has now two children--George Henry and Clara Agnes. Mr. Palmer embarked in the insurance business in November, 1870; has devoted all his time since that date to the science of fighting fire; has been an active member of the Northwestern Underwriters' Association, a contributor to insurance journals, as well as a correspondent of several papers, and at the present writing is Grand Scribe in the Grand Chapter of Masons, as well as one of the Council of Administrators for the Grand Army of the Republic, and also Vice President of Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska Board of Fire Underwriters. In politics, a Republican of the Blaine species; has served as a member of the State Central Committee, and as a delegate to many State Conventions.
CALVIN H. PARMELE, of W. H. Newell & Co., dealers in grain and live stock, was born in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, N. Y., Dec. 2, 1828. When quite young, removed to Pekin, Tazewell Co., Ill. Was for several years engaged there in staging and livery business; afterward in the State of Iowa, employed as manager for the Western Stage Line for four years. He came to Nebraska August 29, 1857, located at Plattsmouth and was engaged for some three years in the livery and staging business, then freighting from the Missouri River to Colorado till 1867. He was then engaged in buying and improving lands in Cass County, and also in general speculation. Began mercantile business in 1878 in company with W. H. Baker, continuing with him for two years. He also engaged in the grain business in company with William R. Darrah for two years. In January, 1879, Mr. Darrah drew out of the firm and Mr. Parmele associated himself with W. H. Newell; they have conducted the business together since. Mr. Parmele has served the city as Councilman for several years, and was at one time Deputy Sheriff for two years. Was one of the organizers of the First National Bank here, in 1872, and has been a Director of the same since. Has been Vice President of the Bank of Cass County since December, 1881. Mr. Parmele was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, in 1855, to Catherine Baker. a native of Kentucky. They have five children--Myrtle (now Mrs. S. H. Atwood), Nellie (now Mrs. W. J. Agnew), Charles, Hallie and Thomas.
AMBROSE PATTERSON, livery, feed and sale stables, was born in Washington County, Penn., in February, 1834, resided with parents on a farm until about 1855, then engaged in the mercantile business for some two years. He came to Nebraska in 1857, located at Rock Bluff, and was engaged in farming for some ten years; also freighted across the plains for several years. He also carried on a general merchandise business in company with his brother, J. M. Patterson, from 1861 to 1863. In 1867, he went to Philadelphia, Penn., but remained there only a short time, going to Norfolk, N. J., where he was engaged in fruit and vegetable growing until 1879, when he came to Plattsmouth, Neb., and engaged in speculating in cattle, horses, etc. In January, 1881, he opened his present business in company with J. W. Dickson. They carried on the business together until December of that year, when the firm dissolved, since which time Mr. Patterson has been alone. He was married in Washington County, Penn., in 1855, to Margaret A. Richey, a native of that place. They have two children--Irene and May.
[Portrait of J. M. Patterson.]
HON. JAMES M. PATTERSON, at present Cashier of the Bank of Cass County, was born in Washington County, Penn., on September 28, 1836. During his boyhood, and up to the time of his removal to Nebraska, he was engaged in mercantile pursuits in his native county and State. On the 14th day of March, 1861, he anchored in the then Territory of Nebraska, at Rock Bluff, in Cass County, where he resided continuously for thirteen years. At this place he formed a copartnership with his brother Ambrose Patterson, and for two years the two brothers were extensively engaged in mercantile pursuits. In 1863, this copartnership was mutually dissolved, after which the subject of this sketch engaged in agricultural pursuits, and also engaged in the experiment of sheep-raising and wool-growing in Nebraska. For this latter purpose, Mr. Patterson brought overland from Washington County, Penn., nine hundred head of sheep and placed them on his farms near Rock Bluff. This experiment of sheep-raising and wool-growing not proving very profitable, Mr. Patterson abandoned it, and, in 1866, again engaged in mercantile pursuits with Mr. James A. Walker as a copartner. The firm of Patterson & Walker was well known throughout the county, and for seven years they did a very extensive business in their line, and also were engaged extensively in the grain trade. In 1873, this copartnership was mutually dissolved, and in the following year, 1874, Mr. Patterson moved with his family to Plattsmouth, where he has resided ever since. In 1870, Mr. Patterson was elected to a seat in the Legislature of Nebraska from Cass County, and was a member of that body when Gov. Butler was impeached, and when Gen. John M. Thayer was defeated for re-election to the United States Senate. In the spring of 1877, Mr. Patterson was elected to the office of City Treasurer for Plattsmouth, and has been re-elected each year ever since; and in the fall of the year 1877 he was elected County Treasurer for Cass County, and again re-elected in 1879, retiring from this office January. 1882. In December, 1881, he was chosen Cashier of the Bank of Cass County, and is also one of the directors of that institution. On August 17, 1858, Mr. Patterson was married in Washington County, Penn., to Miss Ellen H. Campbell, a native of that county and State. Their family consists of nine children, the eldest, Jennie C. (now the wife of Hon. R. B. Windham), James (book-keeper in the Bank of Cass County), Thomas M., Samuel, Eliza, Ellen, Edith, Charles and Ray.
JULIUS PEPPERBERG, manufacturer of cigars and dealer in cigars and tobacco, was born of Jewish parentage in the city of Warsaw, Russian Poland, December 22, 1847, where he served an apprenticeship of three years at cigar making, and was retained by his employers as a journeyman for two years. He came to America October 25, 1865, and was employed in one of the leading cigar manufactories in New York city for seventeen months. Then his spirit of energy turned his footsteps westward as far as Chicago, Ill., where he was employed as a cigar-maker for a year and ten months in the cigar factory of John Hooff, on Randolph street, to January 10, 1869, when he, in company with L. Brom, left Chicago, Ill., for the city of Plattsmouth, Neb., where they established the first cigar factory, Mr. Pepperberg having the honor of being the first practical cigar-maker and to establish the first cigar factory in the city of Plattsmouth, Cass Co., Neb. April 1,1872, the firm moved front Plattsmouth, Neb., and established a cigar factory and store at 459 South State street, Chicago, Ill., where they continued the business together till January 6, 1874, at which time the firm dissolved partnership. Mr. Pepperberg being infatuated with the far Western country, again returned, January 8, 1874, to the city of Plattsmouth, Neb.; re-established here his cigar factory. Although commencing with the small capital of $800, his manufacture of fine cigars has gained for him a wide-famed reputation in his business, which is steadily increasing. He now employs six to eight hands, manufacturing 300,000 cigars per year. Mr. Pepperberg served the city of Plattsmouth as Councilman during the years 1876 and 1877; re-elected to the same office in 1879. He was married at St. Joseph, Mo., October 17, 1877, to Miss Alice Straus, a native of Livon, Belgium. They have one son--Abraham, born in Plattsmouth, Neb., August 21, 1880. Mr. Pepperberg also has the honor of being a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities.
WILLIAM B. PORTER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Parisville, Butler Co., Penn., January 23, 1823, and when quite young removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Ohio. He learned the trade of tanner, serving an apprenticeship of two years; was employed at it some time; then carried on a tannery at Springfield, Ohio, for five years; afterward farmed in Henry County, Iowa, until he came to Nebraska in 1856. He located on his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct, and has been engaged in conducting the same since, and is also engaged quite extensively in raising stock, etc. Mr. Porter was from 1865 to 1868 also engaged in "freighting," in company with his brother, James R. Porter and others, and was Master of the State Grange for some four years--from about 1872 to 1876. He owns considerable land in this county. Mr. Porter was married in Jefferson County, Ohio, December 31, 1846, to Deborah H. Naylor, a native of that place. They have five children--Ada, Elizabeth, Julia H., Carrie N., William B., Jr.
GEORGE E. PRONGER, contractor and builder, was born in Utica, N. Y., May 15, 1830. He learned the trade of carpenter there and was employed at it until he came to Nebraska, June 12, 1856, locating in Plattsmouth. He was for four years engaged in doing general carpenter work, and since then has carried on business as a contractor and builder. He built the first dwelling house in Plattsmouth. Mr. Pronger was married at Utica, N. Y., in 1851, to Mary A. Jordan, a native of that place. They have four children--George F. (in the employ of the B. & M. R. R. Co, here), Hattie, James (engaged in mercantile business at Crete) and John E.
LEONIDAS QUINN, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Preble County, Ohio, August 6, 1833, and at the age of five years removed with his parents to Scott County, Iowa, residing on a farm with them until he came to Nebraska in 1857. He was employed in general farm work in Cass County until he enlisted, in September, 1862, in the First Nebraska Infantry, serving three years and two months, subsequently returning to Scott County, Iowa, and residing there during the winter of 1865. Returning to Nebraska in the spring following, he purchased his present farm in Plattsmouth Precinct, and has been engaged in conducting the same, in connection with raising live stock, since. His farm contains 160 acres. Mr. Quinn has been a Director of the District School Board for the past six years. He was married at Rock Bluff, Cass County, December 29, 1867, to Margaret J. Murray, a native of Missouri. They have four children--Elizabeth, Josephine, Hettie May and Myrtle E.
JOHN RICHARDSON, farmer, P. O. Eight Mile Grove, was born in Hancock County, Me., May 10, 1818, and was reared on a farm. At the age of seventeen years, he went to Worcester County, Mass., learned the trade of tailor, following it some four years, and was for fifteen years engaged in conducting a tailoring establishment at Roxbury, Mass. He came to Nebraska in October, 1857; was for a year engaged in farming in Eight Mile Grove, after which he moved on to this farm in Plattsmouth Precinct He owns 160 acres of land and is also engaged in raising stock. Mr. R. has at times held various district offices. He was married at Belfast, Me., November 23, 1846, to Mercy Maria Ames. They have three children--John H., Anna May and Florence.
S. H. RICHMOND was born in Toronto, Can., December 23, 1847. He came to the United States in 1870, and studied medicine at Ann Arbor University, Mich., graduating in the class of 1873 and 1874. During the summer of the latter year, he attended the St. Paul School for Medical Instruction at St. Paul, Minn.; was then a student at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, graduating in 1875, after which he practiced at his profession at various points in the United States and Canada. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1878, and practiced in various parts of the State; finally settled in Plattsmouth December 20, of that year, and has followed his profession here since.
[RESIDENCE OF MRS. A. V. ROBERTS.]
JOSEPH M. ROBERTS, drugs, paints, oils, etc., was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1851; came to Nebraska in March, 1864, located in Cass County, and was engaged in farming with his father till 1871, when he came to Plattsmouth and attended school for a year. In 1872, he entered the employ of Dr. W. E. Donelan in the drug business, and remained with him as clerk, etc., till 1880, when he purchased the business and has conducted it since. Mr. Roberts was married to Mrs. A. V. Donelan, at Plattsmouth, June 30, 1881.
RASGORSHEK BROS., merchant tailors. This firm is composed of John and Gabriel Ragorshek. They are natives of Austria and both are practical tailors. John came to America August 3, 1871, and Gabriel one year later. Both were employed as tailors in New Haven, Conn., until they came to Nebraska in 1876. Locating in Lincoln, they were engaged at their trade. In 1877, they opened a merchant tailoring establishment, and carried it on until the spring of 1879, when they removed the business to Plattsmouth, and have continued it without interruption since. Messrs. Rasgorshek Bros. have just erected a fine brick building in which to carry on their business. It is fitted up with all the latest improvements and they are manufacturing gas on the premises for lighting the building.
PETER E. RUFFNER. dealer in agricultural implements and wagons, was born in Laura, Page Co., Va., in 1847. He came to Nebraska in September, 1863, and located in Plattsmouth; was employed as clerk in mercantile business for some four years; afterward he carried on a dry goods business in company with Jacob Vallery, Jr., for ten years. In 1877, he entered into his present business in company with E. W. Black; they continued the business together until September, 1881, since which Mr. R. has carried on the business alone. He was married in September, 1870, to Agnes Black, a native of Ohio; they have three children--John W., Sperry B. and Ella May.
JOHN A. SCHAEFER, foreman of blacksmith-shops, Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company, was born at St. Louis, Mo., May 17, 1849. He learned the trade of blacksmith at Burlington, Iowa, serving an apprenticeship of four and a half years. He entered the employ of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company, at that place, in 1869, as a journeyman, remaining there until in September, 1875, when he came to Plattsmouth, still in the employ of the company in the same capacity, and was appointed foreman a few months later.
W. H. SCHELDKNECHT, homoeopathic and eclectic physician, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1839; removed from there to Henry County, Ind., with his parents. He studied medicine there with Dr. Brewster for some three years, afterward at the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, for over a year. He began the practice of medicine in Henry County, Ind., in 1857, continuing there some two years; came to Nebraska in 1859, located at Plattsmouth, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession since. He was married in Henry County, Ind., in 1858, to Mary Adams, a native of that county; they have three children--Lydia A., Sarah E. and Etta.
MATTHEW SCHLEGEL, manufacturer and dealer in cigars, was born in Switzerland in 1842; came to America in 1856. He learned the trade of cigar maker at Rock Island, Ill., and was employed at it there some ten years; afterward at Chicago, Ill., for eight years. He came to Plattsmouth in 1878, and entered into the manufacture of cigars in company with his brother, A. Schlegel, remaining with him until February, 1880; was then employed by his father, Christian Schlegel, cigar manufacturer, until his death in October, 1881, since which time Matthew Schlegel has conducted the business, manufacturing about eighty-five thousand cigars per annum.
HERMAN C. SCHMIDT, principal draughtsman in the office of the United States Surveyor General of Iowa and Nebraska, was born in Germany in 1847; was educated as a civil engineer and surveyor, graduating at Stuttgardt, in Wurtemberg, in 1865; was then engaged at his profession on various railroads. Coming to America in 1867, he was employed as a draughtsman in Chicago, Ill.; then at Burlington, Iowa, in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, till he came to Plattsmouth in 1869, where he remained in the employ of that company till 1870, when he went to Louisville, Cass Co., Neb., and was engaged in mercantile business in company with J. T. Hoover; returning to Plattsmouth, he entered upon his present duties in July, 1872.
WILLIAM HENRY SHAFER was born in Pendleton County, Ky., April 4, 1824; he resided with his parents in that State until fifteen years of age, when he went with them to Indiana and was engaged in farming in various parts of that State, and also for a short time in Mills County, Iowa. Coming to Nebraska in June, 1854, and, locating on his present farm of 80 acres in Plattsmouth, he moved his family on to it November 19, 1854, and has been engaged farming at this place, off and on, for the past twenty-eight years. From 1859 to 1869, he was also engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver, Colo., and from 1876 to 1881 in freighting to the Black Hills, Dak.; he is also largely engaged in stock-raising, and is the owner of 515 acres of land in Cass County. He is the oldest settler now living in Plattsmouth, and assisted in the first survey of Plattsmouth town site, in 1854. Mr. Shafer was married at Florence, Ind., in 1846, to Elizabeth Gullion, a native of Indiana; she died here in 1872, leaving ten children--John F., Malysa Jane, Missouri Ann, Sarah E., Allis M., Zelilda, Hattie, Ida, Milton W. and Daniel H.