Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
PEARMAN ~ YULE
MAJ. JOHN PEARMAN, Clerk in the United States Land Office, came to Nebraska City, May 10, 1853. There he was employed as a laborer until elected County Treasurer, which place he filled from 1856 to 1862. He enlisted as a private in Company F, Second Nebraska Cavalry, when the regiment was organized; he was appointed Major, and held that position during the term of service--nine months--doing frontier service. He was then appointed Captain Assistant Quarter Master First Brigade, First Division, Second Army Corps of the Army of the Potomac, and was with that army until the close of the war. He was then transferred to the Iowa headquarters at Davenport, having charge of the Quartermaster Department of Iowa. In 1868, he engaged in horticultural pursuits, nurseries, etc., at Nebraska City, which he still carries on. He has been Clerk of the United States Land Office since June, 1881. In Nebraska City, he has been prominently connected with educational interests. He was born in Elizabethtown, Hardin Co. Ky., March 16, 1831, and came to Iowa in 1852. From there he moved to Nebraska. He was married in Atchison County, Mo., February 24, 1856, to Mary A. Swift, a native of Exeter, Morgan Co., Ill. They have had eleven children, nine of whom are living--Annie N., Alice Lulu, Pinkie Isabella, Mary Francis, Frederick Lincoln, Horace Stanton, Prudence, Hugh C., Guy Rutledge, Maggie and Katie, twins. The Major is an I. O. O. F., and belongs to various temperance organizations.
REV. GERHARD, PENNER, Bishop of the Mennonite Church, was born near Marienburg, West Prussia, July 14, 1836. He was educated at Danzig, Prussia, and came to America and settled at Beatrice in June, 1877, where he has since lived. He has been a Mennonite minister for two years, and Bishop of the church one year. Mennonite clergymen receive no compensation. He was married in Prussia, June 13, 1867, to Anna Froese, a native of Prussia. They have four children--Cornelius, Henry, Louis and Agatha. He has an extensive dairy farm about two miles north from Beatrice.
LEANDER M. PEMBERTON, attorney at law, came to Beatrice in October, 1879. For ten years prior to coming to Nebraska, he was a resident of Spencer, Iowa. He was born near Paris, Edgar County, Ill., November 12, 1845, and lived there until 1854, when he went to Hamilton County, Iowa. He was educated at Albion College, Iowa, and at the Iowa State University, going through the literary department of the latter. He read law with Judge D. D. Chase, of Webster City, and was admitted to the bar in April, 1870. Commenced practice at Peterson, Clay Co., Iowa. Moved to Spencer in 1871. He was County Auditor from 1872 to 1878. He was married at Spencer, April 30, 1879, to Ida M. Harris. She was born near Binghamton, N. Y. They have one child--Zulu L. He is a member of the Temple of Honor. He volunteered during the war, but was not accepted on account of age.
A. J. PETHOUD, County Clerk, is a son of John Pethoud, who located in Beatrice Precinct in April, 1857. He lived here until 1881. A. J. was born near Ironton, Lawrence Co., Ohio, April 10, 1840, and lived there until his parents came to Nebraska. He was County Surveyor twelve years, City Engineer two terms, Town Assessor one term. He was elected County Clerk in November, 1881. He was married at Beatrice, September 15, 1867, to Annie E. Bunker, a native of Washington County, Iowa. They have three children--Leonidas, Bertha S. and Logan Lamar. Mr. P. is a member of A., F. & A. M. His grandfather, Philip Augustus Pethoud, was a native of Paris, France.
O. H. PHILLIPS, Postal Clerk, R. M. S., was born at Brownsville, Fayette County, Penn, on September 27, 1844, his parents removing to Greene County soon after. Remaining under the parental roof until 1861, when he emigrated to Fairbury, Ill., at which place, in 1862, he enlisted in the Seventy-first Illinois Infantry, Company G; served his time and received an honorable discharge. In January, 1866, was married to Miss Jennie McDowell, of Fairbury, Ill., daughter of Hon. W. G. McDowell, of same place. There were born to them three children--Walter S., born March 3, 1867; Marion L., born January 29, 1872, died September 7, 1879; Alfred H., born July 12, 1877. Remained in Fairbury until April, 1869, when he emigrated to Nebraska; settled in Beatrice, composed, at that time, of a few log houses. Near this point he opened up, and improved three farms. In 1875, built in the city of Beatrice, serving one term as Deputy Sheriff, with L. Y. Coffin; one term as Clerk of District Court, under Judge Weaver. At the expiration of his term as Clerk, he received the appointment of Postal Clerk, in which capacity he has served, until the present, on a number of Western roads, including the Burlington & Missouri, Union Pacific, St. Joe & Western, and Texas Pacific. Is a member of the K. P. & G. A. R.
JAY F. PRICE, book store. Was born in Knoxville, Knox County, Ill., in 1848, in which State he lived until 1872, when he went to California and located in Sacramento Valley, and was employed by the Central Pacific Railroad Company as local freight agent until 1877, when he leased the California, Pacific & Northern Railroad, and handled all the grain on the two lines of road from 1877 until 1880, when he turned the business over to his brother and came to Nebraska on a visit, and concluded to settle there, opening a bookstore in Beatrice, in 1880, with a stock of $2,500. Meeting with good success, has since invested, in all, $3,500 cash in the business. His sales have increased 25 per cent per annum. In 1874, was married at Knoxville, Ill., to Miss Emma Ewing, of that place. They have three children--Ewing, Pansy and Bessie. Mr. P. is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., and of the I. O. O. F., and of the A. O. U. W.
A. G. RANDALL, proprietor of Randall House, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., in 1842. In 1849, he went with his parents to Joliet, Ill., remaining there until 1863, going from there to Washington, Kan., where he engaged in hotel business, remaining there about eighteen months; from there he went to Chicago, remaining there until 1873, when he located at West Point, Neb., and, in the spring of 1874, took the Pacific House in Beatrice, which he ran for over seven years. In June, 1881, he took the Emery House, which he changed to the Randall House, and has a very commodious place. There are four sample rooms and office on the first floor, the dining-room and kitchen being in the basement, and the sleeping rooms are well furnished with woven-wire mattresses. Mr. R. was married in 1867, at Grandville, Ohio, to Miss Cora Cross. They have four children, viz.: Harry, George, Ada and Eva. Mrs. Randall died in January, 1881. Mr. Randall is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
JOHN N. RICKARDS, attorney at law, came to Falls City, August 28, 1874. He remained until he moved to Beatrice, September 20, 1877, where he commenced the practice of law. While at Falls City, he was Principal of the schools. He was born in Spring Township, Adams County, Ohio, February 22, 1860, and removed to Illinois in 1866, living near Seneca, La Salle County, where he farmed for awhile. He also attended the Wesleyan University, at Bloomington, Ill. He was married at Falls City, August 15, 1876, to Mary Alice Miller, a native of Lancaster County, Ohio. They have two children--Joseph Gillespie and Earl Leonard. Mr. Rickards is an A., F. & A. M.
O. K. REEDY, carpenter and builder, was born in Clearfield County, Penn., in 1851. His parents soon after moved to Dixon, Ill., while there his father died, and, in 1861, went with his mother to Woodford County, remaining there until 1868, when he went to Jefferson County, Iowa, remaining a short time and learned the cabinet-making. In 1870, came to Nebraska and located at Plattsmouth, remaining there about one year; thence to Crete, and then to Nebraska City, remaining there until 1873, when he went into Harlan County, Neb., and opened a furniture store, which business he was in about eighteen months, when he took a homestead on Section 20, Township 3, Range 19 west, living on the farm five years. On getting his deed, he took a pre-emption on Section 29, Township 3, Range 19, and has planted several thousand trees, and various other improvements. Was married in 1872, at Lincoln, Neb., to Miss Catherine Sherritt of that place. They have five children, viz: Oliver T., Mary B., William H., Elwin H. and James A. Is a member of the Temple of Honor.
G. B. REYNOLDS, grocer, was born in Sullivan County, N. Y., in 1834, remaining there until 1868, and was engaged in farming and stock-raising. In November, 1868, he came West and was employed in the store of his brother H. M. Reynolds (who settled in Nebraska in 1857, and was one of the men who took an active part in the building up of Beatrice, and was the first Mayor of the place), remaining with his brother until 1875, when he died and G. B. bought a stock of general merchandise, and has been in the business continuously since. In the spring of 1881, he closed out his dry goods and went into the exclusive grocery trade, taking his eldest son into the store with him. Was married in 1858, to Miss Estella B. Sherwood, of Liberty, N. Y. They have three children, viz: Nathan S., Gilbert T. and Estella E. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Temple of Honor.
H. V. RIESEN, druggist, came to Beatrice in April, 1877, and engaged in the drug business. He had been with C. P. Squires & Co., at Burlington, Iowa, for three years. He has been longer in America than any of the Gage County Mennonites, having landed August 3, 1874. Stopped a month or two at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and then went to Burlington. He was born in Dantzig, Prussia, January 30, 1851, and was three years in the drug business there. He went to Russia, where he stayed a year, and returned to Dantzig, clerking for two years in the grain business of Kliever & Zimmermann. In 1874, he visited England with his sister, Anna V. Riesen, who now lives with him. He was married at Beatrice September 9, 1879, to Alice Whitney, a native of Delavan, Wis. They have one child--Charles Louis. Mr. R. is a member of the M. E. Church. He did a business of about $10,000 the first year, and does now a double amount, carrying a stock of $6,000. He has recently formed a partnership with C. N. Hammond.
ROBERT W. SABIN, attorney at law, came to Beatrice in August, 1878, and has been practicing law since that time. He was born in Knox County, Ohio, February 9, 1850; lived there a year, and moved to McLean County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm near Bloomington. He was educated at the Illinois Wesleyan University and the State Normal School; read law with Williams & Burr, of Bloomington, Ill., taking a thorough course, and graduating at the Law School connected with the Wesleyan College. He commenced practice in Illinois. He was married near Bloomington, February 14, 1878, to Mary L. Carlock, a native of McLean County, Ill. They have two children--Ralph L. and Robert F. He was admitted to the bar after an examination before the Judges of the Supreme bench of Illinois. Mr. Sabin is a member of I. O. O. F., and T. of H., and the Christian Church.
A. V. S. SAUNDERS, Clerk of the District Court, came to Blue Springs, Neb., in November, 1877, and lived there until July, 1881. In the fall of 1879, he was elected Clerk of the District Court, but deputed a man for the first two years to the duties of the office. He was born in Canandaigua, N. Y., October 21, 1848. His mother moved to Orleans County, N. Y., when he was a child. For four years prior to coming to Nebraska, he lived at Lenox, Iowa, where he was employed in a bank. He has been engaged in the real estate business since coming here quite successfully, dealing chiefly in farm property. He has been general agent for the trustee lands of the Burlington & Missouri Railway. Mr. Saunders was Justice of the Peace at Blue Springs, Neb., for two years. He was married at Lenox, Iowa, January 1, 1876, to Anna L. Henry, a native of Vernon County, Wis. They have three children--Cecil, V. S., Carmon, C. and Una K. Mr. S. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
[Portrait of Chas. L. Schell.]
CHARLES L. SCHELL, real estate, loan and insurance agent, came to Beatrice, Neb., March, 1877, where he had previously made investments in town property and lands near the city. Nearly one year after his arrival, he engaged in the real estate business with Hon. W. H. Somers, and after three years' successful business embarked alone in the real estate, insurance and collection business nearly one year, when he formed a partnership in the same business with G. L. Beachly July 1, 1881. Is Notary Public. Had served as City Clerk, and is at present one of the City Councilmen, elected from his ward. He is a member of the Christian Church, and serving as Deacon and Trustee of the church. He was born at Schellsburg, Penn., and at the age of nine years removed with his father's family to Somerset, Penn. Was about twenty years old when he embarked in business with his father, A. J. Schell, in the general merchandise at Ligonier, Penn., where he remained nearly two years, and sold out to this brother and removed to Bloomington, Ill., and embarked in the clothing business a few years. Moved to Eureka and remained nearly one year, and had charge of the common school six months during that time, and then removed to Peoria, Ill, and took charge of a department in the Commercial College as teacher of book-keeping several years, then accepted a position as book-keeper in the large candy and cracker manufactory of Frank Field & Co., who also furnished large contracts of army bread, and also kept books for other firms, including the wholesale drug house of Colburn, Birks & Co., and for some years opened and closed a set of books for various firms, and adjusted sets of books for parties, and farmed several years, making over twenty years of his life in Illinois previous to his removal to Beatrice, Neb. He was married, in 1853, near Wellsburg, W. Va., to Charlotte, daughter of Basil Wells, who died in 1856, leaving a son, Basil W., who is now engaged in a large boot and shoe trade in Beatrice, Neb. He was married the second time to Emeline E., daughter of Dr. D. Sabin, near Bloomington, Ill., in 1857. Had seven children. The first, Rhoda L. (died about one year old), Lotta W. (married to J. E. Cobbey (attorney at law, Beatrice, Neb.), also Minnie B., Ida May, Charles D., Robert A. and Pearl E. His father, Henry Schell, was the son of the proprietor of Schellsburg, from whom the town received its name. Had a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters, all living except one son. The three oldest sons are yet living at Somerset, Penn.
B. W. SCHELL, boot and shoe merchant, was born at Bloomington, Ill., in 1855, moving soon after with his grandparents to West Virginia and located at Wellsburg, where he attended school until twenty years of age, finishing his education at Bethany College. In 1879, opened a boot and shoe store at Wellsburg, which business he followed until he came to Nebraska, in 1880, and opened a boot and shoe store at Beatrice, and also has a shop for the manufacture of boots and shoes to order. The annual sales amount to about $20,000, and increasing at the rate of 20 per cent per annum in 1880. J. M. Berkley bought an interest in the business with Mr. Schell, and the business is run under the firm name of B. W. Schell & Co.
HIRAM SAVAGE, nursery and ornamental shrubbery, was born in Columbia County, Penn., in 1831, going with his parents to Sullivan County, while quite young, remaining there until 1857, then to De Kalb County, Ill., and afterward went to Lee County, remaining two years; was engaged in farming; he then settled in Putnam County, and engaged in farming, remaining there eight years. In 1868, emigrated to Nebraska, locating in Gage County, and took a homestead on Section 2, Town 5, Range 5, which he improved, and living there until 1875, when he sold out and came to Beatrice, and was elected Constable three successive terms. He then went to handling fruit trees and shrubbery, and was employed by the N. K. & I. Hedge Fence Company. Was married, in 1855, to Miss Angeline Angle of Columbia County, Ohio. They have five children--Rose I., Milo, Owen L., Nancy E. and George W. Was School Director of District No. 42, Grant Precinct, for some time. Is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 4, K. of H.
C. J. SCHMIDT, grocer, was born in Germany, 1832, and, in 1849, emigrated to America with his father, and locating in New York City, remaining there until 1867, and was employed by A. T. Stewart in the hosiery department, and remained in that position five years; at the end of that time opened a grocery store, which he carried on until 1861, when he went into the army, enlisting in the One Hundred and Third New York Infantry as Second Lieutenant, and served until July, 1864, going out with a Captain's commission; then was appointed a position in the Custom House, remaining two years. From there went into the employ of the United States Express Company, remaining with them until 1868, when he went to Chicago and was employed by August Beck & Co., wholesale tobacconists, as Western traveling agent, and for twelve years traveled through the West as far as Salt Lake, and south to Pueblo, and, in fact, made the whole Western territory, but at last concluded he would do some kind of business by which he could see his family more than once in twelve months. In March, 1881, located in Beatrice and opened a grocery store. His son Frederick is in the store with him. He was in one of the Chicago wholesale grocery houses, and is thoroughly posted, and they have a fine store. Mr. Schmidt was married, in 1855, to Miss Jane E. Jennings, of New York City. They have seven children--Ella, Richmond, Frederick, Sophia, Jennie, Conrad and Frank.
SAMUEL C. SMITH, Cashier of the First National Bank of Beatrice, is a native of Ridgefield, Conn. He came to Nebraska in August, 1872, and, in September of that year, he and his brother, J. E., commenced the banking business here under the firm name of Smith Bros. In April, 1877, the First National Bank was chartered and commenced business. John E. Smith, President, and Samuel C. Smith, Cashier, which positions they have since held. In April, 1880, Smith Bros. organized the Blue Springs Bank, which they operated until January 1, 1882, when it was bought by J. C. Williams, their former Cashier. Samuel C. Smith now resides at Red Cloud, Neb., where he conducts the business of Smith Bros., private bankers.
HON. J. A. SMITH, Police Judge and attorney, came to Nebraska in 1879. Prior to that he resided at Iowa City. He is an attorney at law; was born near Geneva, Ill., November 22, 1844, and lived there and in Chicago until moving to Iowa; enlisted in the First Missouri Cavalry at St. Louis, September, 1861, and was wounded at Sugar Creek, Ark., February 19, 1862, and discharged September 22, 1862. He lost his right arm and one finger of the left hand. He returned to Iowa City and read law with Gov. Kirkwood. He was married in Iowa City, November 23, 1868, to Calista Sanders, a native of Iowa City. They have one child--Herbert H. Mr. Smith is a member of the G. A. R.
[Portrait of J. E. Smith.]
J. E. SMITH, President of the First National Bank, is a native of Ridgefield, Conn. He was for nine years connected with the Cambridge Valley National Bank, at Cambridge, Washington County, N. Y., prior to coming to Nebraska in 1872. He was married at Cambridge in June, 1867, to M. Abbie Norton, a native of St. Lawrence County, N. Y. They have two children--Charles E. and Carrie L. Mr. Smith has been Mayor of Beatrice. He is a member of the firm of Smith Bros., bankers, Red Cloud, Neb.
WILLIAM H. SOMERS, Receiver of the United States Land Office at Beatrice, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1872, and located at Beatrice. He was engaged in the real estate business until April, 1881, when he was appointed Receiver. For three years he was immigration agent for Gage County. He served one term as member of the Legislature for Lancaster, Gage, Saunders and two other counties, being a float Representative. Since his residence in the State he has been agent for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad lands. He was born in Rockford, Surry Co., N. C., March 25, 1830, and came to Illinois in 1842, with his parents, locating at Urbana. He lived there until he came to Nebraska, in 1872, being for many years Clerk of the Circuit Court while in Illinois. He is a Director in the Gage County Bank, and a member of the A., F. & A. M. He was married in 1856, at Urbana, Ill., to Harriet Mead, now dead. He was married again in Lincoln, Neb., in April, 1879, to Sadie S. Hawley, a native of Ohio. He has three children by his first wife--Frank M., Julia May and Elbert W., and one by his second wife--William H., Jr.
OLIVER TOWNSEND, clothing merchant, came to Beatrice in October, 1857. He cut logs the first winter he was there. The following summer was very wet, and he was taken down with ague, being sick nearly a year. In 1859, he commenced farming and opened a market for Pike's Peak prospectors. He continued at farming until he commenced the mercantile business, soon after the war. He has thirty-eight acres of apple orchard, the largest in this region. Mr. Townsend was born in Kingston, N. Y., October 4, 1833, and lived in that State until he came to Sioux City, Iowa, in 1856. Lived there until he came to Beatrice. He was married at Nebraska City, in April, 1880. He has held various county and town offices. He was County Clerk eight years, and a member of the first State Legislature.
S. W. WADSWORTH, jeweler, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in 1835, where he remained until 1855 with his father on a farm. Received the benefits of a common school education; went to Fulton, Oswego County, and served four years in learning the jeweler's trade. In 1859, moved back to his native county and opened a jeweler's store, remaining there until 1868, when he came West and located in Tecumseh, remaining there eighteen months; thence to Beatrice, where he opened a jewelry store, and also carries a full line of organs and other musical instruments, and has a fine store. Is agent for the celebrated Waterbury and Ithaca Calendar Clocks.
W. A. WAGNER, dealer in coal, wood and baled hay, was born in St. John, New Brunswick, in 1845, coming with his parents to Nebraska in 1859, locating on a farm two miles north of Beatrice, remaining one year on the farm, when he came to Beatrice and was employed by Blakely, Reynolds & Co., Mr. Townsend of the firm being the County Clerk and having his office in the back of the store. W. A. Wagner was called to the work in the office and helping in the store, remaining two years. Then went into the law office with J. B. Western as clerk, remaining one year. Then went back into the County Clerk's office, remaining there until 1876, when he went into the real estate business until 1878, when he went to handling farm machinery until September, 1881, when he sold out and stocked up a wood and coal yard and put Mr. Fisher in to oversee the work, then went back into the County Clerk's office where he is at present. In 1870, he was married to Miss M. S. Blodgett of Illinois. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and of the K. P. He was City Clerk for a number of years.
D. A. WALDEN, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Fredonia, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., in 1840, where he lived until 1859; attended the high school at that place; from there went to Chicago, and commenced the study of medicine at Rush Medical College, remaining there three years, graduating in the winter of 1863-64; then went into the army as Surgeon, stationed at Memphis, Tenn., remaining one year; then settled in Livingston County, Ill., and commenced the practice of medicine, remaining there until 1878, when he located in Beatrice, Neb. In 1867, was married, at Lodi, Ill., to Miss Martha C. Ostrander. They have two children--Herbert and Clifford. Is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., Mount Hermon Commandery, No. 7.
M. P. WALSH, dentist, was born in Warren County, Ohio, town of Mason, in 1854. In 1865, went to Mainville, where he remained until 1870, attending school, from there to Perry County, Ill., until 1871, attended school; then back to Ohio, and in 1872 went to Lincoln, Ill. In March, 1875, went into an office to learn dentistry, remaining there until the following October, when he went to Cincinnati and entered the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, remaining three years, graduating in 1878, then went into an office until the following March, when he started West and located at Beatrice, where he opened an office soon after. The first year the business was only worth about $500, but in 1881 it had increased to about $2,000, with prospects of a steady growth.
W. G. WASHBURN, lumber dealer, was born in the northern part of Maine in 1851, where he remained until thirteen years of age; then went into the extreme north of the State, remaining there until nineteen years of age, when he went to Holyoke, Mass., and took charge of a lumber yard, remaining four years, and then went to Chicago, and was engaged as traveling salesman for S. K. Martin, lumber dealer, traveling in the East, remaining in that position about eighteen months, then went to Boston and was in the lumber trade about eighteen months, when he went in company with Mr. Martin and stocked up a yard at Beatrice, Mr. Washburn taking the management. They put in about $25,000 worth of lumber.
Number of feet of lumber sold in 1879.....1,220,667 Number of feet of lumber sold in 1880.......881,534 Number of feet of lumber sold in 1881.......927,681 ----------- Total number of feet of lumber sold in three years..................................3,029,882 Cash sales in 1879.......................$35,657.44 Cash sales in 1880........................27,665.05 Cash sales in 1881........................32,790.27 ------------ Total sales in three years...............$96,112.76
In the spring of 1880, was married to Miss Flora E. Wight of Boston. They have one child.
M. WEAVERLING, County Superintendent of Schools, came to Nebraska April 4, 1869, and has lived in Gage County most of the time since. He had been teaching ever since he came, up to the fall of 1877, when he was elected County Superintendent. In 1879 and 1881, he was re-elected. His home has been in Beatrice since January, 1876. He taught in the public schools of that city two years prior to his election. He was born near Bedford, Penn., August 31, 1845; his home was in Pennsylvania until two years before coming to Nebraska. For two years before coming here, he lived in Illinois; he was educated in Pennsylvania, and in the State Normal School of Nebraska. He was married, in Rockford Precinct, Gage County, Neb., December 1, 1878, to Sarah J. Dobbs. They have two children--Ray and Charles. Mr. Weaverling is a member of I. O. O. F., Good Templars, Temple of Honor and the Methodist Church.
O. O. WELLS, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Beatrice in August, 1878, and has been in practice since that time; served as County Physician, and is now Coroner. He was born in Lancaster, Ohio, April 17, 1850, and was educated at Cincinnati, graduating from the Eclectic Medical Institute there May 7, 1878; for three years prior to that time, he had been practicing in Colorado. He moved from Lancaster to Oskaloosa, Iowa, and lived there until 1866; then went to Indian Territory and Kansas for two years. Returning to Oskaloosa, he remained there until the fall of 1870; went to Colorado in 1870, and spent two years at Central City, three at Boulder and one at Denver.
JOHN G. WIEBE, lumber dealer, came to America in the fall of 1876, and stopped at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. He came to Beatrice in the latter part of February, 1877, about forty families coming at the same time. Mr. Wiebe commenced the lumber business to supply the Prussian colony, and during the first year and a half he sold over two hundred car loads of lumber to the Prussians alone. He then began a general lumber trade, which he has since kept up; in 1881, he sold two hundred car loads; he also sells lime, cement, etc. He was born in Danzig, West Prussia, January 16, 1835, and was married in April, 1864, to Lisette Penner, born near Dantzig. They have six children, all born in Europe--Jacob, Mary, Katie, Henry, Anna and Helena. He now employs two clerks and a yard man; when he commenced he did all the work himself. Mr. Wiebe is a Mennonite.
A. N. WISNELL, farmer and brewer, was born in Monroe County, Ill., in 1845, remaining there until 1874, and was engaged in farming until he emigrated to Nebraska, and settled in Beatrice, and bought a farm on Section 36, Beatrice Precinct, consisting of 500 acres, which he has improved. In 1875, bought the Beatrice Brewery, which he improved, raising the capacity from two barrels to seventy five barrels per week; the building is 20x16, two and one-half stories high, with addition 20x6, two stories; granary, 16x21; malt house, 20x21; the cellars are cut out of solid rock, 30x30, with ice-house above, a tunnel into the cellar about 200 feet in length and eight feet in width and six feet high, making a convenient and spacious cellar. Was married in 1867 at Berwick, Marie Co., Ill., to Miss Mary Murdock. They have two children, viz., Roy and Martin.
THOMAS YULE, abstracts and loans, came to Beatrice in April, 1879, and has engaged in his present line ever since. He also handles considerable real estate on his own account, though doing no commission business. He is Mayor of the city at present. He was born in Northumberland County, England, in 1832, and came to America in 1850. He located at Lodi, Columbia Co., Wis., where he lived until 1867. He then went to Portage, where he remained until coming to Beatrice. He was engaged in the abstract business at Portage. He was married in England to Mary Todd, a native of that country. They have three children--John T., Bessie J. and Mary Grace. Mr. Yule is a member of Blue Lodge and Chapter, A., F. & A. M.