Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
Odell, the only town in the Otoe Reservation in Gage County, was laid out in 1881, on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad. It is a well-located town, being surrounded by the best farming district in the county, and adjacent to Indian Creek, the best timbered stream, with quarries of excellent limestone close at hand. One hundred cars of the stone have already been shipped to Omaha. The population is about four hundred, and it is only a little over a year old. It has a good business in wood, stone, grain and general merchandise. The district school is in good order, with a good house, at present also used for religious worship.
Odell Lodge, No. 97, I. O. O. F., was instituted February 22, 1882, with thirty members. The first officers elected are: James Earnest, N. G.; N. M. Prince, V. G.; H. Glasgow, R. S.; J. K. Langdon, Secretary; F. Puterbaugh, Treasurer; G. Jeffers, O. G.; A. Focht, I. G.; James Myers, Conductor; L. Upson, Warden.
Odell Lodge, No. 224, I. O. G. T., was instituted May 1, 1881, with about forty members. Officers: H. Glasgow, W. C. T.; L. Cooper, W. V. T.; George Latta, R. C.; W. C. Jackson, F. C.; J. Sinclair, Treasurer; Miss L. E. Baldwin, Marshal; Joe Brooks, O. G.; Daniel Arner, I. G.; H. Langdon, P. W. C. T.; Solen Ayers, Chaplain.
The Masons are intending to soon organize, and, during the summer, the Methodists propose to erect a house of worship.
Considering the fair advantages of situation and the energetic class of people settling up the town, it is fair to presume that Odell will soon occupy a prominent place among the towns of Gage County.
E. B. HINDS, merchant, was born in Vermont in 1842. In 1855, he went to Iowa with his parents, who settled in Clayton County. When he had been there a short time, he was employed as salesman in a store a few years. In 1857, they had contracts for mail routes, and were in the business more or less until 1880. In 1862, he enlisted in Company M, First Iowa Cavalry, serving three years and six months. In 1880, he carried on a farm, then went to Kansas, coming to Nebraska in the fall of 1881; put up a building 22x60 feet, and put in a stock of hardware. Mr. Hinds was married in 1870, at Hardin, Iowa, to Miss Sarah Shaw. They have one son--Charles. Mr. Hinds is a member of the Odell Lodge, I. O. O. F.
PERRY WALKER, Postmaster, Odell, was born in Somerset County, Penn., in 1818, where he remained until forty-four years of age, and was engaged in farming the most of the time; was Superintendent of the County House eight years, and also Deputy Sheriff two years, after which he was elected Sheriff, holding the office three years. In 1862, he went to Illinois, and settled in Lee County, remaining there nearly fourteen years, when he sold out and came to Nebraska, and bought a farm in Gage County, and put up some fine buildings. In 1880, the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company built the road through his farm and he sold out to them, and they located the town of Odell on the land. In 1882, he was appointed Postmaster; has put up a fine upper floor for a public hall. Mr. Walker was married in 1840, in Somerset County, Penn., to Miss Lydia Miller. They have one son-- Charles. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic Order.
Holmesville is a station and post office, located on the Marysville & Blue Valley Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad, six miles from Beatrice, the county seat.
The town site was laid off in June, 1880, and received its name in honor of M. L. Holmes, its founder. Among those who were identified with the town in its early days were A. M. Shepherd, D. F. Miles, F. M. Daniels, C. L. Harrington and Thomas Patz.
The post office was established November, 1880, with the present incumbent, M. L. Holmes, as Postmaster. In the summer of 1881, a schoolhouse was built, and the first term of school was held in the fall of the same year--C. S. Otis, teacher. In the winter of 1880-81, T. Patz opened and established the first store.
The town possesses natural advantages that will doubtless in the future, make it a thriving city. Among the industries may be mentioned the extensive stone quarries, said to be the finest in the State, and an elevator and stockyards. A bridge is to be built across the Big Blue at this point this fall. The people are hopeful for the future, and realize that, with its rich agricultural country surrounding, it will make the best shipping point on the road.
ELI ALBERT, farmer and stock-raiser, northeast quarter Section 27, Range 7, Town 3, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Pennsylvania in 1836. From 1863 to 1869, he ran a tannery at Bangor, Penn. In 1862, he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-third Pennsylvania Infantry, but after a short service he took the typhoid fever, and on his partial recovery was detailed to the convalescent corps; was mustered out as Second Sergeant in 1863, after expiration of enlistment. In 1869, he went to Red Oak, Iowa, and bought a farm, where he remained until 1876, when he moved to this State, locating in Rockford Precinct, Gage County. Mr. Albert was married in 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Ackerman, of Pennsylvania. They have six children--Eugene, Oscar, William, John, Mary E., Minnie. Mr. A. was elected Justice of the Peace in Rockford Precinct in 1881.
H. BARTLETT, sheep-raiser, Holmesville, was born in New York City in 1841, but was raised in Wilmington, Windham Co., Vt. In 1859, he went to Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y. In 1862, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-third New York Infantry, and was in most of the battles of his regiment; was with Sherman on his "march to the sea," and was discharged at Albany, N. Y., in 1865. Shortly afterward he went to New Mexico and followed mining until 1870, when he returned to New York, and in 1872 came to this State and located at Beatrice, where he ran an express wagon until 1879, when he went into sheep-raising, buying 200 head of sheep, and now has 800 head. His average increase has been 75 percent; average clip, eight pounds. His flock is high-grade American Merino. Mr. Bartlett was married in 1880, at Beatrice, Neb., to Miss Rosa Graves. He is a member of the Southern Nebraska Wool Growers' Association.
J. W. BENNETT, sheep-raiser, P. O. Beatrice, four miles east of Beatrice, in Rockford Precinct, was born in Vermont, in 1836, and raised in the State. In 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Ninth Vermont Infantry; was at the siege of Suffolk, and in the fall of 1862, while in hospital at Winchester, Va., was made a prisoner; was paroled and exchanged, and was in guard duty at Camp Douglas, Chicago; was at the capture at Fort Harrison, in Virginia, and was mustered out of service in 1865. He then went to New York, where he remained a year; then went to Grundy County, Ill., and engaged in farming. In 1869, he was elected Justice of the Peace of Mona Township, Ford County. In 1873, he moved to this State and engaged in farming. In 1877, he went into the sheep business, commencing with 371 head, bought in Wisconsin, and now after selling 500 sheep, has 1,000 head of high grade Merinos. He also has about 440 head of this spring's lambs. His average increase in lambs has been 85 percent; the average weight of wool per head has been nine pounds. Mr. Bennett has made a signal success of the sheep business. When he commenced business he was not worth more than $1,500, but he is now worth $6,000.
JAMES ELDERBECK, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 18, Town 3, Range 7, P. O. Beatrice, came to this State in 1866, and now owns 248 acres of land lying along the Blue River. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1836, and emigrated to America in 1854, settling in Racine County, Wis. In 1863-64, he visited England. He was married in Racine County, Wis., in 1857, to Miss Eliza Murgatroyd, they have five children--John T., Mary E., Sarah L., Willie and Katie M. Mr. E. has held the office of School Director in his district for the past eight years.
T. B. ESSEX, farmer, P. O. Beatrice, eight miles east of Beatrice, was born in Rock Island County, Ill., in 1837, his father, Isaac B. Essex, being one of the earliest settlers in the southern part of that county. In 1864, T. B. enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Infantry, and was on guard duty in Tennessee; was mustered out in December of the same year, at Springfield, Ill.; returned to Rock Island County, where he engaged in running a nursery and small fruit farm, until 1873, when he moved to Nebraska, and settled on Section 1, Town 3, Range 7 east, and has been engaged in improving his farm of 400 acres, and now has 280 acres under cultivation. In 1881, he was elected one of the county commissioners of Gage County; was married in Rock Island County, Ill., to Miss Louisa Severns. They have six children--Elmer, Omer, Alma, Mertie, Lelah and Trueman Bennet. Mr. E. is a P. G. of Beatrice Lodge, No. 19, I. O. O. F.
D. B. FULLER, farmer, P. O. Beatrice, was born in Luzerne County, Penn., in 1831, where he remained until 1852, when he went to Lee County, Ill., where he followed farming until his removal to this State in 1868, homesteading on Section 3, Town 3, Range 7, and now owns 160 acres, mostly improved. He was married in Lee County, Ill., to Miss Caroline Earley, of Pennsylvania, who died in 1860, while visiting her old home in that State. In 1862, Mr. F. was married to Mrs. Jane H. Billings, of Lee County, Ill., who died in 1869, leaving one son--Harry C.
JAMES HOLLINGWORTH, farmer, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Melbourne, Derbyshire, in 1823, and was brought up to the machinist's trade. In 1848, emigrated to America and settled at Boston, Mass., where he worked his trade. In 1850, went to Racine, Wis., and opened a general store, which he ran about a year; returned to Boston and was engaged at his trade. He remained until 1856, when he went to Portage Co., Wis., and there followed farming until his removal to this State in 1862, where he located on Section 32, Town 3, Range 7 east, and now has 200 acres well improved, with good buildings. Was married in Melbourne, Eng., in 1848, to Miss Catharine Elliott. They have six children--James H., Alfred C., Frank S., Clara K., Charles H. and Leonard J. Mr. H. is a member of the Gage County Old Settlers' Association.
M. L. HOLMES, Postmaster and proprietor of the Holmesville Stone Quarry, was born in Saratoga, Saratoga Co., N. Y., in 1834, remaining there until twenty-five years of age, when he went on the road for a wholesale dry goods and notion house of Troy, remaining with the same firm fifteen years. In the summer of 1879, his health being poor, took a trip to Nebraska, and was so much improved in health and so well pleased with the country that he bought (in company with Mr. Smith, of Beatrice) 400 acres of land on Sections 29 and 30, in Beatrice Precinct, on the line of the U. P. R. R., and lying both sides of the Blue River, and opened a stone quarry, laid out a town plat of forty acres, the sales of lots being over 100 before there was a building put up; began taking out stone in the fall of 1880, and took out between 300 and 400 cars of stone the first year. In 1881, shipped over 1,000 cars of stone, and is making preparations for still larger shipments for 1882. The stone is very fine, and is about the only building stone in this part of the State, his shipments reaching all parts of the State, giving work to about forty hands through the busy season. Mr. Holmes has put up a warehouse, and handles grain and coal. There are two stone hotels and boarding houses, depot and numerous dwellings in the place. There is also a fine water-power which Mr. Holmes will almost give away to some enterprising party, who will erect a mill there. Enlisted in 1861 in Company C, Seventy-seventh New York Infantry, serving six months, when his health failed and he was discharged. Mr. Holmes was married, in 1870, to Miss Sarah J. Davis, of Saratoga County, N. Y. They have two children--Charles B., born in 1876; Mary A., born in 1872. Is a member of the Masonic Order, Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery.
D. C. MITTAN, farmer, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Sussex County, N. J., in 1820. In 1833, moved to Luzerne County, Penn., where he lived until 1850, when he moved to Lee County, Ill. In 1865, enlisted in Company I, Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and joined the regiment at Camp Fry; was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., in 1865, after a service of seven months. In 1868, moved into this State and homesteaded one quarter of Section 28, Town 3, Range 7, Rockford Precinct. Was married in Luzerne County, Penn., in 1841, to Miss Martha E. Fuller. They have six children living--Elvera, Isaac B., Horace, William, Jacob and Asa. Was School Director while in Lee County, Ill., for nine years. Has been Road Supervisor in Rockford Precinct for the past five years.
L. C. MUDGE, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Canada in 1816; learned the trade of millwright in Canada; in 1831, moved to Michigan; followed his trade in Branch County, Mich., and in Elkhart and Kosciusko Counties, Ind., for fourteen years. In 1864, moved to Doniphan County, Kan., and in 1866 moved to this county, homesteading on Section 34, Town 3, Range 7, on Mud Creek. Was married in Dearborn, Wayne County, Mich., in 1838, to Miss Sarah Van Reper, who died May 4, 1881. Have five children living--Mrs. James Kingsford (living in Texas), Mrs. Amos Haden (living in Missouri), Mrs. Rev. C. B. Powers, of St. Joseph, Mo., Lewis F., Mrs. Thomas Weaver and Frank, all living in Gage County. Is a member of the Methodist Church.
VALENTINE MYER, farmer, Section 32, northwest quarter, Town 3, Range 7, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Germany in 1824, and emigrated to this country in 1842; settled in New York State, and followed his trade, that of blacksmith. In 1845, went to Canada and worked at his trade until 1850, when he went to Milwaukee, Wis. In 1857, moved to his farm twelve miles west of Milwaukee, where he lived until his removal to Nebraska in 1870. Was married in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1849, to Miss Rosina Schwartz. They have twelve children--Philip, Eliza, John, Theresa, Caroline, Charles, Susie, Anna, Elizabeth, Willie, Hattie, Barbara, all of whom are living.
THOMAS PATZ, general merchandise, P. O. Holmesville; came to Nebraska in 1878; located at Crete, where he started a German and English Academy. Mr. Patz was born in Germany, on the Rhine, in 1848, and is the son of a merchant and farmer, who kept him at school until he graduated, when he went to France and took a course, and graduated from the France Commercial College. In 1870, during the Franco-Prussian war was with Gen. Fon. Mosijona and acted as interpreter of French and German. After the battle of Sedan, Mr. P. having lost his horse, was presented with another by the General. In 1872, came to this country and settled in Chicago. In 1873, went to Milwaukee, Wis., and attended St. Francis Seminary; not having funds enough to finish his course there, he went to Lake County, Ind., and worked on a farm and studied nights in order to fit himself for teaching. The years of 1874, 1875, 1876, were spent in teaching, clerking and reading medicine. In 1877, went to Germany to visit his parents, and the schools in Germany and England. In the fall of that year, upon his return, was appointed as Principal of the Dyer, Lake Co., Ill., schools, and was Principal Assistant of the Normal School in Lake County. In 1878, went to Dalton, Ill., and taught French and English and higher mathematics, but was taken sick and resigned his position and went to Iowa, thence to Nebraska. Mr. P. was married to Miss Sophie Stone, only daughter of Joseph Stone, of Crete, Neb., February, 1882.
JAMES W. SHELLEY, farmer, P. O. Beatrice, was born in Derbyshire, Eng., in 1844; his parents emigrated to this country in 1856, settling in Racine County, Wis., but moving shortly afterward to Portage County, where he remained until 1861, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Rockford Precinct. Mr. S. has 410 acres of land, 160 under cultivation. Was married, in 1870, in Blakeley Precinct, Gage County, to Miss Mary E. Bailey. They have three children--Annie, Willie and Eloise.
W. M. SCHULLENBARGER, farmer, P. O. Holmesville. His parents moved from Pennsylvania to Iowa in 1830, and the subject of this sketch was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1837; in 1849, he moved to Missouri where he lived until 1859, when he moved to Nebraska, settling in Gage County, where he still resides. He was married, in 1860, in Gage County, to Miss Harriet Dixon, of Ohio. They have nine children--William J., Susan M., James A., John H., Sophia E., Ulysses G., Maud, Charles E., Iva Jane. He is a member of the Christian Church and the Old Settlers' Union.
GEORGE W. STARK, farmer, P. O. Holmesville, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1839, where he lived until 1856, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Brown County, and, in 1857, locating on Section 22, Town 3, Range 7, in 1858, where he has since lived and improved his farm. Mr. S. was one of the first settlers on Mud Creek, coming here with Mr. Hagen, now of Blue Springs, and they together built the first cabin on the Creek. Mr. S. has a fine orchard, which last year bore over 175 bushels of apples. In the fall of 1874, a fire swept across the prairie, destroying all his crop, grain in stack and corn in field, a loss which was severely felt for a number of years. He has quite an apiary and gathered nearly 1,600 pounds of honey last year. Was married, in Rockford Precinct, in 1861, to Miss Sophia Schullenbarger. They have nine children living--Elizabeth A., Sarah C., Mary E., George and Ulysses (twins), Cordelia, Edger, Minnie and Solon. Is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.
A. WELCH, farmer, P. O. Beatrice, was born in Canada in 1835, and came to the United States in 1863, and, in 1864, homesteaded on Section 3, town 3, Range 7, homesteading 160 acres, and now owns 204 acres, 150 under cultivation. In 1864, enlisted in Company E, Second Nebraska Mounted Infantry, and served in the campaign against the Indians, and was in one engagement near Devil's Lake, Dakota, and was discharged at Brownville, Neb., in the fall of the same year, having served six months. Mr. W. has been married twice, the first time in 1863 in Missouri, to Miss Roxana Webber, who died in 1880, leaving four children--Ephraim, James, Emma and Clemie. In 1881, was again married to Miss Amy Orr, of Gage County.
W. J. WHITE, merchant and hotel, Holmesville, was born in East Tennessee in 1847, where he remained until 1862, when he enlisted in the Fourth Tennessee Infantry, serving three years and eleven months. In 1874, he went to Illinois, located near Girard and engaged in farming, remaining there five years; from there he came to Nebraska and located east of Beatrice, in Gage County, where he engaged in farming until the fall of 1881, when he sold out and came to Holmesville and bought out a hotel and boarding house; in December, 1881, he put in a stock of goods in a part of the building; he has a good trade. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Jennie White, of East Tennessee; they have three children--L. E., Josie and Ella May. Mr. White is a member of the Dunkard Church.
J. M. YOUNG, farmer, Beatrice P. O., came to Nebraska in 1868, and homesteaded Sections 12 and 13, Town 3, Range 6; in 1869-71, he ran a stone quarry on the Blue River, in Rockford Precinct. He was born in Jackson County, Ohio, in 1847. In 1863, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Indiana Infantry; was in all the engagements of this command, and never missed a roll-call during his time of service; was mustered out at Indianapolis, Ind., November 15, 1865. He was married, in Gage County, in 1873, to Miss Myra Hollingsworth; they have one child.
Early as 1855-57, a settlement was made where the town site of Adams is now located, by J. O. Adams, George Gale, John Lyons, James, Steven and E. Shaw, Oasis, William and James Silvernail, and others.
No efforts were made to establish a town site until May, 1873, when a tract of about eighty acres was laid off by J. O. Adams and the A. & N. R. R. Co., the town being named in honor of its principal founder. A post office was established here during the same year, with William Curtis as Postmaster, Mrs. H. Noxon being the present incumbent. Previous to the establishing of the post office, the settlers obtained their mail at Laona, which office has since been discontinued.
The first religious services that were held in this vicinity date back eighteen or twenty years, when a Rev. Mr. Gibbs, from Missouri, organized a church of the Baptist persuasion. This organization still holds regular services, and is in a prosperous condition. A few years later, a Methodist organization was perfected, which has held regular meetings up to the present time. After the Adams Schoolhouse was built, services were held there. The Methodist society are now making praiseworthy efforts toward the erection of an edifice.
About 1874, a lodge of Good Templars was instituted.
Adams is located in the northeast corner of the county, thirty miles south of Lincoln, and about twenty-five miles northeast of Beatrice. The A. & N. Branch of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad passes through the place, and the town, situated as it is in the center of a district said to be the richest and most prolific in the production of corn on the line of that road, makes it a good shipping point. In the spring of 1881, a long-felt want was supplied in the establishment of a steam elevator. The present population of the place is about fifty.
L. O. CLARK, farmer, Section 20, Town 6, Range 8, P. O. Adams, homesteaded here in 1867. He was born, March 14, 1848, in Hancock County, Ill., and lived there until 1864, when he enlisted in Company C, Second Illinois Cavalry, and joined the regiment at Baton Rouge, La., serving two years; he was mustered out in 1866. He was married, in 1874, at Adams, Neb., to Miss Mary A. Whyman, daughter of Charles Whyman; they have three children--Rice W., Charles O. and Mabel.
EDWARD GALE, farmer, P. O. Adams, came to Nebraska in 1858 with his father, George Gale. He was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., in 1854; was married, in Adams, in 1881, to Miss Mary Stebbins. Mr. Gale is a member of the I. O. G. T.
GEORGE GALE, farmer, Section 17, Town 6, Range 8, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in 1828, but was raised in Connecticut; in 1850, he moved to Eaton County and located near the present site of Lansing, remaining there until 1854, when he went to Kenosha County, Wis., living there until his removal to this State in 1857, settling on Section 7, Town 7, Range 9 east, but in 1860 moved to his present location, and in 1863 homesteaded 120 acres adjoining land; he now owns 200 acres, well improved. He was married, in Litchfield, Conn., in 1850, to Miss Margaret A. Shaw; they have four children--Edward B., Mary A., Charles F. and Maggie A. In 1869, he was elected Assessor of Gage County. He is a member of Beatrice Temple of Honor and of Pleasant Plain Lodge, I. O. G. T. Mr. Gale is one of the pioneers, and has been identified with the growth and development of this section.
W. P. SHAW, farmer, Section 20, Town 6, Range 8, came to this State in 1857 with his father, J. B. Shaw. He was born in Kenosha County, Wis., in 1854, and was married, in 1878, at Lincoln, Neb., to Miss Louisa F. Davis, of Hancock County, Ill.
J. B. SHAW, farmer, Adams Precinct, P. O. Adams, homesteaded on Section 29, Town 6, Range 8, in 1862. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1830; in 1845, he went to Connecticut, and, in 1850, to Kenosha County, Wis., where he engaged in farming. He was married, in 1854, at Williamsburg, N. Y., to Miss Sarah A. Vosburg; they have four children--Walter, Fred, Elizabeth and Jennie. In 1857, he moved to this State. Mr. S. has been School Director of his School District fifteen years; he raised the first apples and peaches raised in Gage County, and was awarded the premium at the county fair for the same. Mr. S. is an old settler, and has witnessed the settlement of this precinct from the time the Shaws and Silvernails made the first settlement in 1857, on Nemaha Creek.
JAMES I. SHAW, farmer, homesteaded on Section 30, Town 6, Range 8, in 1869. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1838; in 1845, went to Connecticut, and, in 1850, to Kenosha County, Wis., where he farmed until 1857, when he moved to this State, locating in this county; in 1860, he went to Colorado, returning in 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, First Nebraska Infantry; was at Donelson and Shiloh, and in a number of skirmishes; in 1864, the regiment was sent to the plains to help quell the Indian outbreak, and served on the frontier until 1866, and was mustered out at Omaha after a service of five years, he having been during that time promoted to First Sergeant. He was married, in Omaha, in 1867, to Miss Virginia Douglas; they have one child--Egbert J. Mr. S. has added to his homestead until he now has 320 acres; he can justly be called one of the pioneers of this county.
JAMES SILVERNAIL, farmer, Section 17, Town 6, Range 8, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in May, 1825. In 1841, went to Massachusetts, where he remained until 1852, when he moved to Kenosha County, Wis., where he lived and followed farming until he removed to this State in 1857. Was married in Litchfield County, Conn., to Miss Emily Shaw in 1849. They have three children--Oasis, Harry and Ella F., born in November, 1859, the latter being the first white girl born in what was known then as Clay County. In 1860, Mr. S. settled on and commenced improving his present location, and has it well stocked with fruit trees of all kind.
WILLIAM W. SILVERNAIL, farmer, Section 20, Town 6, Range 8, where he homesteaded in 1867. Was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in 1834; shortly afterward, his parents moved to Massachusetts. In 1855, he went to Kenosha County, Wis. In 1857, he moved to this State, and located in Section 21 this precinct. In 1862, becoming tired of pioneer life, he went to Illinois; but in 1866, returned to this State. Was married, in 1856, at Kenosha, Wis., to Miss Rebecca Shaw. They have five children--Herbert M., James L., Bertha, Sarah and William C. He is a member of the I. O. G. T.
CHARLES WHYMAN, farmer, P. O. Adams, homestead on Section 17, Town 6, Range 8, in 1866. Mr. W. was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1827, and there learned the trade of baker and confectioner. In 1854, he emigrated to America, and settled in Erie County, Penn., where he followed farming until he came to this State in 1866. Was married in England, in 1851, to Miss Amelia Allen. They have thirteen children--Mary A., Alice W., Frank E., Horatio, Charles A., Cora B., Victor W., Nellie A., Orren H., William H., Lottie M., Theodore H. and Edith M. Mr. W. has held the office of Justice of the Peace two terms.