Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN
J. H. ALDEN, jeweler, was born at Mt. Morris, Ogle County, Ill., in 1854, where he remained sixteen years, attending school a part of the time and a part of the time was with his father on the road for his health until 1870, when he went to Galena and learned the jeweler's trade, coming to Nebraska in 1879 and locating in Beatrice. He opened a jewelry store, 24x60, two stories, and used the second story for organs and pianos. Mr. Alden has a very neat store. At the right as you enter is two large upright show cases eighty by ten, two feet deep, and in imitation black walnut, for silverware and small musical instruments, and five two by ten feet cases for the center, with one large show case for outside. He has a full line of musical instruments, from a piano to a jewsharp. He was married in 1877 to Miss Anna Belle O'Hara, of Galena, Ill.
LOU. ARMACOST, stock-raiser and proprietor of the Blue Valley Meat Market, was born near Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1849, remaining there until 1860, when he went to Colorado and worked at anything he could get, putting his money into cattle, until 1875, when he had 500 head of cattle, which he drove into Chase County, and at present has 800 head of cattle and between fifty and sixty head of horses. In October, 1881, he bought out the Blue Valley Meat Market, which he has been running since. In October, 1880, he was married to Miss Lena Rowley, a native of Illinois. She was born in Aurora, Ill., in 1851. Mr. Armacost is a member of the I. O. O. F.
ALBERT H. BABCOCK, attorney, located at Pawnee City, Neb., October, 1869, and practiced law there until he went to Beatrice in February, 1880, where he has since followed his profession. He was a member of the Legislature in 1873-74. His is now City Attorney, having held that position since his residence here. He was born at Bath, Steuben County, N. Y., June 4, 1836, and moved with his parent when quite young to Michigan, where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company H, Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and was afterward promoted to the captaincy of Company E, Eighteenth Michigan. He served until July, 1865, having been in all the engagements of his command. He was married at Pawnee City, May, 1880, to Jeannette DuBois, a native of Madison, Florida. They have one child, Laura Eleanor, born March 18, 1881. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council. Mr. Babcock graduated from the Law Department of the Michigan University in the class of 1868.
CHARLES E. BAKER, real estate and mortgage broker, of the firm of Burnham, Trevett & Mattis, came to Beatrice in August, 1881. His partners reside at Champaign, Ill. They deal in land, but loaning money on real estate is their principal business. Mr. Baker was born at LeRoy, Mich., June 17, 1836, being a son of Heman and Eliza Barnes Baker, who reside at Vicksburg, Mich., and was the first white boy born in that township. He resided at Champaign, Ill., for twenty years prior to coming to Nebraska, being engaged in his present business there. He was married in LeRoy, Mich., September 1, 1861, to Araminta D. Gould, a native of Parma, Monroe County, N. Y. They have four children--Leona, Channing G., George D. and Vesta I. Mr. Baker is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
A. N. BARNETT, Deputy Sheriff, was born in Wayne County, Ind., in 1848, going with his parent to Warren County, Iowa, where he lived until 1869. In May, 1872, he located in Beatrice and worked at his trade of plastering, until 1876, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under A. P. Hazard, holding the position two years, when he was elected City Marshal. In July, 1878, he was again appointed Deputy Sheriff, under Eugene Mack, and has held the office continuously since, at present under Capt. Herron, and is considered a competent and trustworthy officer. Mr. Barnett is a member of the Temple of Honor, No. 4, of Beatrice, Neb.
CHARLES O. BATES, attorney, was born near Ypsilanti, Mich., in 1855, his parents moving soon after to Grass Lake, Jackson County, remaining about four years, then removing to Canton, Ill., where he remained seven years, attending the school at that point. In 1874, he emigrated to Nebraska and located in Beatrice. He was in the mercantile business two and one-half years, when he went into the office of Colby & Hazlett and read law; was admitted to the bar in 1879, and in 1880 was taken into partnership with Colby & Hazlett; is Secretary of the Beatrice Bar Association and Manager of the Beatrice Telephone Company and Stock Company, worth $2,000--60 per cent paid in capital, H. W. Parker, President. There are thirty seven instruments in use. He was married in 1879, at Lincoln, Neb., to Miss Kate Gillette, of that place. They have been blessed with one daughter--Etta C., born January, 1881. Mr. Bates is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, and the A., F. & A. M., and is Adjutant of the First Regiment Nebraska National Guards.
G. L. BEACHLY, real estate, loan and insurance agent, came to Beatrice in May, 1881, and engaged in his present business with Charles L. Schell, who entered the business at this place some years earlier. Mr. Beachly was born in Meyersdale, Somerset Co., Penn., March 24, 1848, where he lived until he removed to this place. His father's name was William M. Beachly, and was, up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1870, a very prominent man in his community. Mr. Beachly became the executor of his father's estate. He also attended to the business correspondence of the Primitive Christian, an organ of the German Baptist Church, for a year. He was a member of the Town Council, and served as a grand juror in the United States Circuit Court at Pittsburgh, Penn. For two years he held the position of Principal of the public school in his native town. He was married, at Salisbury, Penn., November 15, 1877, to Annie E. Beachy, daughter of A. P. Beachy, one of the most successful and wealthy farmers of Somerset County. They have one child, a daughter aged two years. Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the German Baptist Church.
J. M. BERKLEY, boot and shoe merchant, of the firm of B. W. Schell & Co. He was born in Somerset County, Penn., in 1850, remaining there until the close of 1880, when he emigrated to Nebraska. In 1868, he commenced teaching and working on the farm alternately. He finished his education in 1872 at Mt. Union College, Ohio. In 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca J. Myers, of Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland County, Penn. They have two children--Cora E. and Myers O.
[Portrait of Nathan Blakely.]
HON. NATHAN BLAKELY was born in Roxbury, Litchfield County, Conn., July 25, 1824. He attended the district schools until about twelve years of age, and then worked on a farm in the summer and went to school in the winter. Attended the Academy at Roxbury two winters and commenced teaching school in Westchester County, N. Y., in the fall of 1844, for $10 per month, being boarded around. He taught at that school for two years, and then went to New Jersey in the spring of 1846, and secured a school in Monmouth County. He taught in that county until 1852, being for thirteen terms at the now celebrated watering place, "Long Branch." He then returned to Connecticut, and, in company with W. S. Waterbury, bought the Derby Journal at Birmingham, Conn. They published the Journal until in 1853, when Mr. Blakely sold out to his partner, and, in December, started for Chicago. The following winter he taught school near the present site of Riverside. When school closed, he determined to go farther West, and started for Iowa. He spent most of the summer in Newton, and bought the first land he ever owned a few miles north from there as well as some timber and prairie lands in Hardin County. In the fall he returned to Chicago and taught the same school he had vacated the spring before. In the spring of 1855, he returned to Hardin County, Iowa, via Dubuque, accompanied by his brother, who had joined him in Chicago. The two cold winters following led him to the conclusion that Iowa climate was too cold and in the spring of 1857 he left for Nebraska, arriving at Beatrice July 17, 1857. The only improvement in the town at that time was a small log cabin, partly built by Pat Towle. A few days after his arrival, he took up a claim two miles up the river from town, improved it, and lived there until the spring of 1865. During this time he was engaged in freighting and farming. He then bought a half interest in the store of D. Latham at Beatrice, and went into the store. In the spring of 1866, they bought out the store of Joseph Saunders, giving them the only store in Beatrice. In the fall of 1866, Mr. B. bought out Latham's interest, and managed the business alone until the following summer, when he took in H. M. Reynolds and Oliver Townsend as partners, the firm being Blakely, Reynolds & Co. In the summer of 1869, he sold his interest in the store to his partners. In the fall of 1871, he formed a partnership with E. M. Hill, in general merchandising, and was a member thereof until 1875. He now lives on a farm a quarter of a mile from Beatrice. Mr. B. was elected County Clerk in 1858, and re-elected in 1859. In 1861, he was elected Representative to the Territorial Legislature, the district being then composed of Gage, Johnson, Clay and Jones (now Jefferson) Counties. He was again elected Representative in 1866, the Legislature meeting in Omaha in June for the purpose of electing two United States Senators. Mr. Blakely voted in caucus for T. W. Tipton and A. S. Paddock. Tipton and Thayer received the nominations. Mr. Blakely was again elected to the Legislature in 1868, to the first session at Lincoln. He was appointed Receiver of Public Moneys in 1869, and October 1 of that year took charge of the office at Beatrice, holding it for six years. He was married, November 9, 1868, to Maggie C. Tinkham, a native of Morrow County, Ohio, where she was born in 1843. She was second daughter of Rev. A. L. Tinkham, a Methodist minister, who moved into Beatrice in 1860. They have one child living--Charles, aged twelve; one, Clarence, died in 1874. Mr. B. is the only man ever elected to the Legislature from Gage County three times.
E. E. BROWN, President of the Gage County Bank, is one of the leading lawyers of Lincoln, and one of the Directors of the State National Bank of that place.
A. W. BRADT, dealer in stock, was born in Canada, near Niagara Falls, in 1845. In 1853, went with his parents to New York State and settled near Buffalo, remaining but a short time, when he went to Rockford, Ill., and was engaged in farming until 1870, when he came West, and, in company with his brother, opened a meat market at Beatrice, Gage Co., Neb., and was in the business until 1881. In 1872, they put up a neat stone building, 20x30 feet, their market at a cost of $1,500. In 1874, they built an ice house and furnished the trade with ice, putting up about 300 tons per annum. In 1881, put up a double building for ice, 42x54, and with room for 800 tons, putting in 700 tons for the season of 1882. In April of 1881, went into the stock business, and has shipped on an average ten cows per month. In 1869, was married to Lottie Graham, of Ogle County, Ill. They have three children--Mary, Gertrude and Rosanna. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and also of the Encampment.
JAMES E. BUSH, attorney at law, Beatrice, Neb., was born in Rockville, Ind., June 1, 1845, living there and in Kentucky until he was three years old, having lost both of his parents by death, his father dying in the Mexican war. He with his brothers and sisters removed to Peoria County, Ill., where he lived for about five years, removing from there to Wyoming, Stark Co., Ill., in the spring of 1853, where he continued to live most of the time, until he entered the army August 12, 1862, serving in the One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry until the close of the war, and was mustered out at Chicago, Ill., in July, 1865, returning to Wyoming, Ill., and resided there for nine years, filling during that time several official positions. Was married at Toulon, Stark Co., Ill., to Miss Anna Eliza Dyer, a native of Genesee Co., N. Y., November 17, 1867. Mrs. Bush is a graduate of one of the Eastern Colleges. Her father died at Toulon, Ill., in 1854, weighing at the time of his death 450 pounds. They have six children--Bertha E., Charles E., Dora E., Herold D., Maud C. and Lena R. In 1870, Mr. Bush commenced the study of law, pursuing his studies until in April, 1874, when he commenced the practice thereof at Bradford, Ill., where he continued therein until May 6, 1880, whence he removed to Beatrice, Neb., and has been engaged in the practice here ever since.
F. G. BURKE, sheep-raiser, Holt Precinct, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1858, where he remained until 1877; attended school there until 1874, when he went into a wholesale dry goods house, remaining three years; from there went to Kansas and remained a short time, when he went back and then went to St. Paul, Minn., where he was employed in a wholesale dry goods house; in the spring of 1880, came to Nebraska and located in Holt Precinct, Gage Co., and commenced sheep-raising with 1,000 sheep, getting 7,000 pounds of wool the first year, and has realized 60 per cent on his investment. Mr. Burke thinks that wool-growing is the coming industry of Nebraska. In 1881, was united in marriage with Miss Arrington, of St. Louis, Mo.
J. R. BURKS, dealer in farm machinery, was born in Boone County, Mo., in 1836, where he lived the most of the time for forty years. In 1855, was engaged in lumbering, running a mill in Mexico, Mo., until 1864, then commenced the manufacture of wagons, buggies and plows, and dealing in farm machinery in Ashland, Mo., until the fall of 1876, when he settled in Beatrice and engaged in the sale of farm machinery in the spring of 1880, his sales for the first year being $15,000, while the sales for 1881 were $22,000, a gain of about 60 per cent. Mr. Burks was married, in 1872, to Miss Nettie Strode, of Ashland, Mo., daughter of Maj. Strode. They have two children--Mattie, born in 1874; James R., Jr., born in 1876. Mr. B. is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., of the Temple of Honor and member of the M. E. Church.
G. L. COLE, architect, contractor and builder, firm of Cole & Conlee, was born in Coburg, Upper Canada, in July, 1828. Soon after, his parents moved to Buffalo, N. Y., and from there went to Cleveland, where he attended school until 1837, when he went with his parents to Monroe, Mich., remaining there until 1846, where he learned the carpenter trade, graduating at the Cincinnati Mechanical Institute in the winter of 1847-48. In 1852, went to California, overland, settling in Hangtown, or Placerville, El Dorado County, remaining two years, when he went back to Michigan. In 1857, went to Prairie du Chien, Wis., remaining there until 1859, when he went to Fremont County, Iowa, and remained there until September, 1878, when he came to Nebraska, locating in Beatrice the same year. Designed and built the opera house at Beatrice, and the following year took the contract and built Doane College at Crete. Mr. Cole has done some very fine jobs, and is a thorough workman. In 1862, enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteers, Company E. Received a Sergeant's position, was wounded when he had been in the service about eight months, and as soon as he was able was promoted to the colored brigade, serving in the Quartermaster's Department and several other positions, and was promoted. When his time expired, he went out of the service as Brevet Major, and was offered a Lieutenant's commission in the regular army. Was married, in 1854, at Monroe, Mich., to Miss F. J. Wortzschmidt, of that place. They have nine children--Carson V., Frank W., George M., William S., Ed K., Callie B., Nellie W., Alice C., and Josephine. The family are nearly all musicians. Mr. Cole is a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter and Commandery of Beatrice.
[Portrait of L. W. Colby.]
[RESIDENCE OF COL. L. W. COLBY.]
LEONARD W. COLBY came to Nebraska August 23, 1871, and located at Beatrice in November of the same year, where he has ever since resided and been engaged exclusively in the practice of law. He was born in Cherry Valley, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, August 5, 1848, and is the son of Rowel and Abigail Colby, who are farmers and natives of Grafton, N. H. He moved with his parents to Freeport, Ill., in 1851, at which place he lived till he enlisted as a private in Company B, Eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving till the close of the war. He graduated from the Freeport High School in 1867, and the same year entered the Freshman Class of the University of Wisconsin, from which institution he graduated with the highest honors of his class in 1870, having taken a thorough classical and scientific course, and obtaining the degrees of B. A. and C. E. He then entered the law department of the University, and also studied in the law office of Carpenter & Chase at Madison, and the succeeding year graduated, again with the highest honors of his class, with the degree of LL. B., and was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of that State. On June 23, 1871, at Madison, he married Clara D. Bewick, a native of London, Eng., and a lady of liberal education and fine literary attainments. Mr. Colby is a young man of undoubted ability, and unusually good, scholarly acquirements, and has risen by his own personal energy and intellectual power to be one of the leading lawyers in Nebraska. He is an A., F. & A. M. and K. of P. He was State Senator in 1877-78, representing the Nineteenth District, composed of Gage & Jefferson Counties. In June, 1881, he was elected and commissioned Colonel of the First Regiment of the Nebraska National Guards and placed in command of the military force of the State, which position he still occupies.
W. B. CONLEE, contractor and builder, was born in Jo Daviess County, Ill., in 1842, where he remained until 1856, going with his parents to Charles City, Iowa, and commenced learning his trade; in 1861, went back to Illinois, and from there to Colorado in 1863, where he was engaged in mining, returning to Illinois in 1864, and enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-second Illinois Infantry, serving seven months. After coming out of the army, returned to Charles City, Iowa, remaining until the spring of 1865, when he again started for Colorado, remaining there until 1868, when he settled in Nebraska, locating at Tecumseh, remaining there until 1871, when he bought a homestead in Gage County, on Section 20, Town 6, Range 6, and remained on the place five years, thence to Beatrice, where he has been engaged in contracting and building, putting up a good many buildings; is at present in company with Mr. Cole. He was married, June 1, 1871, at Tecumseh, to Miss Clara Fairchilds, of that place. They have four children--Daisy, Mabel, Carrie and W. B., Jr. Mr. C. is a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter and Commandery of Beatrice, A., F. & A. M.
H. F. COOK, furniture dealer, came to Beatrice in June, 1857. After staying two and one-half years, he returned to Connecticut and remained there eight years, then came back to Beatrice and engaged in farming, which he carried on for two years, spending one year in the lumber business and one in the grain business, and then commenced the furniture trade. He still runs his farm. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace elected in Gage County, John Pethoud being elected at the same time; served two years. Mr. Cook was born at Norridgewock, Somerset Co., Me., November 4, 1830, and was married at Stafford Hollow, Tolland Co., Conn., March 15, 1860, to Lucinda H. Harvey, a native of that place. They have two children--Mabel H. and Hattie M. Mr. Cook is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, Good Templars and Temple of Honor.
WILLIAM D. COX, with Smith Bros., bankers, came to Tecumseh, Neb., in May, 1869, and was employed as a clerk in a mercantile establishment for a few months, and then entered the County Clerk's office, making up the tax lists. In January, 1870, he came to Beatrice and was appointed Deputy County Clerk, immediately after his location here, holding that position until 1872. In that year, he was elected Clerk, and was re-elected in the fall of 1874, holding the position until January, 1876. For one year he kept from work on account of ill health; after that he was employed at clerking until July, 1881, since which date he has attended to the mortgage loans of Smith Bros. He was born in Vermont, Fulton Co., Ill., May 4, 1843. That was his home until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted as a private in Company H, Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry August 8, 1861, and served in that regiment until March 15, 1866, being stationed on the Rio Grande, Texas, protecting the frontier after the close of the war. He was Sergeant Major for about two years. He was married at Beatrice in November, 1872, to Jennie Wagner, a native of New Brunswick. They have one child--Ella. Mr. Cox is a member of the G. A. R., K. of P., I. O. O. F. and A., F. & A. M.
E. F. DAVIS, proprietor of Davis House, Beatrice, was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., 1836, and remained there the most of the time until 1875; was engaged in farming, and was also connected with work on the canal. In 1875, was appointed Inspector of Street Improvements at New York City, remaining about one year, when he started West and located in Beatrice, where he has been engaged in the hotel business; the first year in the State was with his brother in the Randall House; then went into the Beatrice House, which he ran about four months; then took possession of the City Hotel, and was in that eighteen months; he then purchased the Atlantic House, and soon after changed it to the Davis House. Was married, in 1862, to Miss Helen M. Ferguson. They have three children--Minnie F., Harry and Nellie.
H. C. DAY, dealer in stock, one and a half miles southeast of Beatrice. Was born in Albany County, N. Y., in 1855, and was raised in that county. He came to this State in 1873, locating at Beatrice and engaged in buying stock, his business increasing from year to year, so that during the past year has shipped about 200 car-loads of stock. During the winter has been baling and shipping hay, and has shipped 150 car loads. In 1880, Mr. D. bought 200 sheep and let them out on shares, and now has his money back and the sheep left. In 1882, Mr. D. bought a fine farm of 130 acres, and intends raising field and garden seeds on a large scale, and will also engage in raising small fruits. Mrs. D. has some choice poultry. Mr. D. was married at Burlington, Iowa, in 1880, to Miss Eva Bray. They have one child--Alfred.
C. B. DEMPSTER, dealer in pumps, wind mills and lightning rods, was born in Kane County, Ill., in 1853. In 1872, went to Chicago, where he remained until 1878. Came to Beatrice and engaged in business with his brother. The first year they had $1,000 invested in stock, tools and horses, the sales for the first year being $4,000. The trade has increased to $15,000 for the year 1881. Mr. D. is agent for the Iron Turbine Wind Mill, and has a large trade in pumps and mills. At the present time, carries a stock of from $3,000 to $4,000 showing what a young man of enterprise can do in the West. Was married, November 8, 1876, at Dundee, Ill., to Miss Roy Crichton, of that place.
C. G. DORSEY, hardware merchant, came here in 1869. He located at Brownville in 1856, and engaged in the practice of law, and the real estate business. About eight years ago he went into the hardware trade. He is a native of Dearborn County, Ind., born in 1835, and lived in Indianapolis most of the time until he came here. He was a member of the Territorial Legislature, and was Register of the United States Land Office, and has held various local offices. He has been connected with the First National Bank since its organization. He now gives his entire attention to this hardware business. He was married at Beatrice, Neb., in December, 1871, to Mary E. Majors, a native of Fairfield, Iowa. They have three children--William C., Edith and Harry. Mr. Dorsey carries a stock of about $15,000, and does an annual business of about $40,000. His sales are principally in Gage County. Employs five men.
JACOB DRUM, Postmaster, came to Beatrice in January, 1872, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued for eight years. He was appointed Postmaster in October, 1879. He was born near Tarlton, Pickaway County, Ohio, October 2, 1838, and lived there until 1856, when he removed to Piatt County, Ill., lived there until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted August 11, 1862, in Company K, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until June, 1865, taking part in all the engagements of his command. He was married in Tuscola, Ill., January 5, 1869, to Margaret A. Eckridge, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, who died August 3, 1881, leaving two sons--Benjamin Wallace, born January 16, 1870, and William Byron, born September 10, 1871. Mr. Drum is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
JOHN DWYER, Station Agent Burlington & Missouri River Railroad and American Express Agent, was born in Hamilton, Ont., in 1856. In 1862, he moved with his parents to London, Ont., and was on a farm with his parents. In 1868, he went to Iowa with his parents and located in Jefferson County, where he was engaged in farming until 1871, when he got a position in the railroad office with the night operator, and after working five months was appointed ticket agent to fill a vacancy at Chariton, on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, holding that position three months, when he was put on as extra night operator on the Iowa Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, when that division wanted an extra man. After working six months, gave up the job and started for Nebraska, Plattsmouth being the first town made and the next day was employed by the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company. He was sent to Greenwood to open the station there, and from there to Wilber, where he remained about three years, when he was sent to Beatrice, where he has remained since as General Agent for the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska and the American Express Company's Agent.
JOHN ELLIS, real estate operator and farmer, came to Beatrice in July, 1871, and brought his family here in 1872. He purchased his present residence in 1871. Mr. Ellis owns several farms hereabout--the Spring Hill Farm, on Sections 14 and 23; a stock farm three miles south of town, and the Home Farm, two miles north of Beatrice. He was elected County Treasurer in the fall of 1877, and was re-elected in 1879. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in January, 1839, and came to America in 1852, locating for five years in New Jersey. In 1857, he moved to Woodford County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He is the son of John and Mary Ellis, natives of Yorkshire. He graduated from the State Normal School at Normal, Ill., in 1866, and taught school in that State after graduating. He was married near Philadelphia, Penn., September 5, 1872, to Elizabeth A. Latter, a native of Chester County, Penn. They have three children--Guy G., Paul H., and Joseph B. Mr. Ellis is as member of the Temple of Honor and of the I. O. O. F.
CHARLES N. EMERY, proprietor of livery stable, came to Nebraska in 1861 and engaged in keeping a ranch for the Overland Stage Company, at Thirty-two Mile Creek, east of Kearney. He was there until 1864, when he moved to Liberty Farm, twenty-five miles east of his former location. August 8, 1864, he went to Pawnee Ranch, an Indian outbreak having occurred the day before, wherein a man named Burke was killed. From there he went with his family to Atchison, Kan., and was engaged in freighting between Atchison and Colorado, from the fall of 1864 or 1865, to the winter of 1866-67. He had charge of the overland station at Kearney, while freighting between Atchison and Denver. During his freighting service trouble with the Indians was a daily occurrence. In July, 1867, Mr. Emery came to Beatrice and engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1870, he opened the Emery House and kept it for a year and a half at first, and for a like length of time in 1877. In 1878, he entered the livery business. He was also engaged in farming and is principal owner of the Opera House. He has twice served as Alderman. He organized the Temple of Honor, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. Mr. Emery was born in Industry, Franklin County, Me., August 15, 1836, and came to Kansas in March, 1856. He was married in Lawrence, Kan., May 4, 1858, to Mary Benson. They have two children--George E., born March 7, 1859, at Lawrence, Kan., and John C., born December 23, 1861, at Mt. Florence, Kan.
O. M. ENLOW, attorney at law and Cashier of the Gage County Bank, came to Nebraska September 16, 1870, and located at Beatrice. He was head book-keeper for the County Treasurer for about four years, and was then appointed Clerk of the District Court for eighteen months. For one year he served as City Treasurer. He was born at Washington, Washington Co., Penn., November 15, 1845, and lived there until seven years of age, when his parents moved to Fairmont, W. Va.; lived there a year and then went to Springfield, Ill., where he lived until 1870. He read law in Illinois, and was educated at North Sangamon University in 1868 and 1869. He was married at St. Louis, Mo., October, 1873, to Julia W. Hyer, a native of Memphis, Tenn. They have two children--Bessie W. and Gertrude. Mr. Enlow is a member of Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of two branches of the I. O. O. F.
ELIJAH FILLEY, stock-raiser, came to Nebraska in 1867 and engaged in farming and stock-raising in Gage County. He came here a poor man, but is now one of the wealthiest citizens of the county. About 1870, his cattle began to develop, and he shipped his first carload--a big lot in those days--as soon as the railroad was completed. The rate per car to Chicago then was $30, now it is $75 or $80. In 1872, he had commenced an extensive shipping business. In that year, about half a dozen car-loads were shipped from Gage County; in 1881, the amount was probably about 500 cars, including cattle and hogs. Mr. Filley shipped over five hundred car-loads of cattle and hogs from various points on the Burlington & Missouri River and the Atchison & Nebraska Railroads. He is one of the Directors of the First National Bank of Beatrice, having been connected with it since the organization. He was born about three miles south of Jackson, Mich., and lived in Illinois for ten years before coming to this State. He has about four hundred head of native stock, graded to Durham, on his farm, and keeps about five hundred hogs, chiefly Poland-Chinas. He has stock at various places along the road. He gives most of his attention to stock-raising and buying. There are about 50,000 sheep in Gage County, kept in flocks of from 200 to 4,000. The clip is about ten pounds to the head. The increase has been from 60 to 80 per cent of the breeding ewes. When he came, sixteen years ago, there were not more than 3,000 sheep in the county. The increase has been very rapid the last three years, Mr. J. B. Long having shipped over 20,000 head to the State in the last few years from Michigan and Wisconsin. The stock is almost entirely fine wool Merino, they being more profitable than coarse wool.
W. M. FORBES, lawyer, came to Nebraska in July, 1876, and has been practicing ever since. He was County Judge for an unexpired term in 1877-78. He was born near Greensburg, Ind., February 28, 1847. When three years old he moved with his parents to Iowa and lived in Black Hawk County most of the time thereafter. For two years he taught school at Burlington, Iowa. He was educated at the Iowa State University, and graduated from the law department there in the class of 1874, commencing practice at Beatrice. He was married at Fayette, Fayette Co., Iowa, August 5, 1874, to Lucretia Parsons, a native of Elgin, Kane County, Ill. They have two children-- Robert L. and Frank Parsons. Mr. Forbes is a member of the Temple of Honor and Good Templars, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DANIEL FREEMAN, M. D. and farmer, Blakeley Precinct, was born in Ohio in 1826. At the age of six months, his parents moved to New York, and located in Genesee County, remaining there until 1835, when they settled in Knox County, Ill. In 1847, Mr. Freeman began the study of medicine at Peoria, Ill., remaining there eighteen months, when he entered the Eclectic Institute at Cincinnati and graduated in 1849, locating in Ottawa, Ill., and commenced the practice of medicine, remaining there until 1861, when he enlisted in the Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry as a private. Soon after, he was transferred to the secret service, remaining until the close of the war. In 1862, he came to Nebraska in the employ of the Government, and while in the State located on Section 26, Town 4, Range 5, and put up a house and moved his family there January 1, 1863, at 12 o'clock at night. He took out the first homestead papers issued by the Government, having homestead papers No. 1, and has lived on the place ever since. He has added to the farm until he has 840 acres, situated on Cub Creek, on Sections 23, 26 and 34. He has been County Commissioner two terms, County Sheriff one term, and Justice of the Peace in his precinct several terms. He was married in February, 1865, to Miss E. A. Suiter. They have five children--Eliza J., Samuel, James H., John and Frank. Previous to this, he was married in 1853 to Elizabeth Walber, of Ottawa, Ill. They had three children--Charles, Gerald and Lourella.