Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
JOHN GESSELL, meat-market, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1828, remaining there until twenty-two years of age. In 1850, he went to Indiana and located in Delaware County, where he was engaged in shoe-making for nineteen years; he then started West and located in Gage County, Neb., nine miles northwest of Beatrice, on a homestead on Section 34, Township 5, Range 5, remaining there twelve years, when he sold out and bought a farm two miles south of Beatrice, selling in the winter of 1881, and located in Beatrice going into a meat-market with his son-in-law in February, 1882. Was married in 1850, in Fairfield County, Ohio, to Miss Sarah Brook. Miss Brook was born in the same county in 1832. They have twelve children, five living, viz: Maggie, Jessie, Elmer, Lemuel and Oscar. Enlisted in 1864, in Delevan County, Ind., in the Twenty second Indiana Infantry, serving until the close of the war--about seven months.
H. W. GIDDINGS, farmer and manager of the Kansas & Nebraska Stage Company's farm, one mile east of Beatrice, was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1830. In 1842, he went to Warren County, Ill., where, after a time, he engaged in farming, and afterward in running one of the largest dairies and creameries in that section; in this connection he kept buying land until, in 1870, he had 900 acres. In 1873, his creamery was burned, causing his financial ruin. In 1874, he moved to this State, settling in Buffalo County, a short distance from Shelton, where he engaged in farming, but, meeting with reverses, he came to Gage County as manager of the Stage Company's farm, and now owns 240 acres of land in Section 36, Town 4, Range 6, together with considerable stock, and owes no man a dollar. Mr. G. was married in Erie County, Penn., on September 14, 1854, to Miss Rebecca McClure, and has nine children, namely, Flora, Carrie, Jennie M., Stutely I., Edwin M., Harry, Carl, Ralph and Susan.
L. T. GRIGGS, dealer in farm machinery, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1843; soon after his parents emigrated to Clinton County, Ind., remaining there the most of the times until 1862, when he enlisted in the Eleventh Indiana Cavalry, as private, Company A, and was discharged in 1865, with a Lieutenant's commission. In 1865, he settled in Pawnee County, Neb., taking a homestead in Section 31, Town 5, Range 5, remaining four years on his place, when he located in Beatrice, and was engaged in farming; then went into the law office with his brother, remaining three years. In 1875, he commenced handling farm machinery, which he is now engaged in. Was married in 1869, in Gage County, to Miss Carrie E. Gale. They have five children--Mollie, George, Clifton, Kirk and Burt. Was City Marshal in 1876. Is a member of the Rollins Post, G. A. R., of Beatrice, and is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., Chapter No. 7, and of the Commandery, No. 7. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of K. of H., No. 4, and I. O. G. T.
[RESIDENCE OF ALFRED HAZLETT.]
["VALHALLA," BEATRICE, NEB., PROPERTY OF ALFRED HAZLETT.]
ALFRED HAZLETT was born in Indiana County, Penn., the 9th day of June, 1848, and is of the Scotch-Irish descent. He was educated at Washington and Jefferson College, Cannonsburg, Penn., and read law at Greensburg, Penn., with Senator Cowan, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1871. He came to Beatrice in October, 1871, where he has remained engaged in the practice of law. He has served as County and City Attorney, and was County Judge for two successive terms. For the last five years, he has been the law partner of Col. L. W. Colby, and has now one of the most lucrative and extensive practices in Southern Nebraska. He has no political aspirations, belongs to no secret order, is liberal on all questions, and foremost in all public enterprises tending to build up and improve his town and county. He has provided for himself one of the best homes in his part of the State, located in the city of Beatrice, and has a fine stock farm, highly improved, adjoining his home, and commanding the finest view at Beatrice, and the surrounding country. He was married in Omaha in July, 1875, to Libbie Cotton, formerly of McLean County, Ill.
C. N. HAMMOND, druggist, is a native of Knox County, Ill. He was born near Oneida, June 26, 1857. When about seven years old, he moved to Galva, Henry County, and lived there until 1872; he then removed to Cambridge, staying there a year, and then to Elmwood, where he lived one year; after that, he returned to Galva and carried on a drug business for Eck, for about three and one-half years. He traveled for the safe manufactory of John W. Norris; then traveled for Samuel I. Smith & Co., for a year, after which he spent eleven months at Maryville, Mo., in the drug business. He was married at Cambridge, Ill., to Geneva C. Wier, a native of Illinois, December 21, 1880. He is a member of the N. W. Traveling Men's Association.
HON. ROBERT B. HARRINGTON, came to Nebraska in November, 1872, and located at Beatrice, where he has since been farming. He was Receiver of the U. S. Land Office, Beatrice, for five years, from October, 1875, to January, 1881. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875, and has been Mayor of Beatrice. He was President of the Gage County Agricultural Society. He was elected a member of the State Senate in 1880. He was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, October 11, 1829, and lived there until he was nineteen years of age; then settled at Plainsfield, Will Co., Ill., where he remained eight years. From there he went to Livingston County, Ill., and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was County Clerk of Livingston County for eight years. He was married at Plainfield, Ill., December 3, 1850, to Miss Nancy P. Cropsey; she died October 17, 1867, leaving three children--Algernon S., Anthony H. and Mary E. He was married to his present wife at Ottawa, Ill., September 1, 1868. She was Mrs. Harriet M. Whitmore, a native of New York. They have had three children, none of whom are living. Mr. H. is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
J. E. HILL, grocer, came to Nebraska in March, 1872, and located at Beatrice, where he established the Beatrice Nursery. In 1875, he was elected County Clerk and was re-elected in 1877 and 1879. He sold out his nursery in 1876; served four years as Alderman from the Second Ward. He was born at Berlin, Holmes Co., Ohio, December 10, 1836, and lived in that State until he removed to Illinois in 1865. He enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry in August, 1862, and was promoted Captain of his company at Toledo before going to the front. He served until the summer of 1865, and was then mustered out. In that same year he went to McLean County, Ill., where he lived until he came here. He was married in Heyworth, McLean Co., Ill., September 4, 1866, to Laura Stewart, a native of Fairmont, W. Va. They have six children--Gertrude, Carrie, Annie, Herbert S., Winifred and John E. Mr. Hill is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Presbyterian Church.
E. M. HILL, Justice of the Peace and loan agent; came to Beatrice in the fall of 1871; engaged in mercantile business and grain buying, at which he continued until 1878, when he became a Justice of the Peace. He also served as Police Judge two years. He does a considerable loan and collection business. He was born in Burlington, Litchfield Co., Conn., July 25, 1825, and lived there until he was twenty-five years old. He then moved to Peoria County, Ill., locating at Elmwood for seven years. After the close of the war, he went to Lebanon, Mo., where he remained six years, and came from there to Beatrice. While living in Illinois and Missouri, he was engaged in mercantile business. He was married at Canaan, Conn., in September, 1852, to Elizabeth Gillette, a native of that town. They have four children--Walter D., George G., Henry M., Hattie F. Mr. H. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, being connected with the Congregational Church in the East.
B. F. HOCKMAN, proprietor Nebraska, Kansas & Iowa Hedge Fence Company, Beatrice, Neb., was born in Lawrence in 1843. In 1863, went to Vincennes, Ind., then to Olney, Ill., and established the hedge business, planting the first season four thousand rods of hedge, remaining there until 1881, but in the meantime establishing a number of branches--one at Evansville and Seymour, Ind., Edgar, Neb., Lawrence, Kan., and Paris, Ill.--and in 1881 made his headquarter at Beatrice, Neb. Bodock, or better known as osage orange, is used as a hedge, and the mode of planting is one suggested to Mr. H. by long experience, and is reduced to an art and is an industry that should meet with the approval of Nebraska farmers generally. The company have planted about two hundred and fifty miles of hedge. Mr. H. was married June, 1867, to Miss Hannah E. Bartram, in Richland County, Ill. They have one son, Burnett F., born in July, 1875.
W. R. JONES, farmer and dairyman, Beatrice Precinct, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, 1847; in 1855, went to Missouri with his father, Samuel Jones, remaining there six months; thence to Kansas, remaining there until September, 1857, when they came to Nebraska and located in Gage County, being among the first settlers in the county. He first located on Indian Creek, four miles north of Beatrice, remaining there until September, 1868, when he took a homestead on Section 11, Town 4, Range 6, remaining on it until 1877, when he sold, and bought on Section 24, Town 4, Range 6, of 220 acres, and is raising stock and furnishing milk for the city of Beatrice; in 1881, sold from 13 cows, $1,100; for the year of 1882, has 28 milch cows, and is having sales for all the milk; is also engaged in raising hogs and some horses. In 1866, was married at Beatrice to Miss Hester Henton. They have five children, viz.: Minnie, Albert, Susia, Ruhana and an infant; is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 19, I. O. O. F.; also a member of Old Settlers' Association, Gage County.
J. M. KELLOGG, grain dealer, born in Mansfield, Ohio, in 1850; soon after, moved with his parents, locating in Janesville, Wis. He remained there nineteen years; thence to Iowa and located, and engaged in farming a short time, and from that went into the hotel business until 1880, when he settled in Nebraska, locating at Beatrice, and went into the grain business for the first seven months, when he bought out a grocery store and ran that in connection with his grain trade until January, 1882, when he sold out, and will turn his attention to the exclusive grain trade; was united in marriage with Miss Eva L. Blalock, of Iowa.
J. D. KILPATRICK, railroad contractor, was born in Jasper County, Mo., in 1847, remaining there until 1857, when he went with his parents to Iowa, remaining there two years, coming to Nebraska in 1859, and located in Gage County--his parents settling on a farm; he remained at home until 1867, when he went to work in the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad in Nebraska, working two years. In 1869, went to Texas and took a contract to build a portion of the Texas, El Paso and Pacific Railroad, remaining on this line one year; then, took a contract on the New Orleans, Mobile and Chattanooga Railroad, remaining there nearly one year. From there, took a contract on the International and Great Northern Railroad, which took him two years. From there went to Galveston, Texas, and built sixty-three miles of the Galveston, Colorado & Santa Fé Railroad, which took him two years. During this time, built the Tremont Hotel, Galveston, at a cost of $419,000 to complete and furnish, which he run one year; also had a contract of nearly $500,000 in the city of Galveston, raising the grade and putting down the sidewalks, which were mostly laid in English tile; also built two cotton compresses, while in Galveston, each one taking 13,500,000 brick, and covering seven and one-half acres of land. In 1876, leased the State Prison labor of 1,600 convicts for one year, and was extensively engaged in the manufacture of cotton goods and furniture--using those who were in for a short time on his railroad and city work. In 1879, came back to Nebraska and built the Union Pacific Railroad from Marysville to Beatrice. Since then, has been on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad; has built fifty miles for the company. Mr. Kilpatrick is also extensively engaged in the stock farming with two of his brothers. They have 2,540 acres of lands in one body in Jefferson and Gage Counties, with 250 head of cattle; have not as much as they will have when they get thoroughly started. In January, 1877, was married in Galveston to Miss Jennie Karl, of that place. They have two children, viz.: Rachel Galveston, born 1878, J. D., Jr., born January, 1881; is a member of the Masonic order.
HON. E. O. KRETSINGER, County Judge, came to Blue Springs, Gage County, Neb., July, 1880, and engaged in the practice of law until he became County Judge, January 5, 1882. He was born at Leaf River, Ogle County, Ill., July 3, 1855, and was educated at Mount Morris Seminary, Ill.; was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1879. He was married at Rock Island, Ill., December 20, 1881, to Emma L. Tetterington, a native of Rock Island.
S. P. LESTER, livery and feed stable, Beatrice, Neb., came to this State in 1872, locating at this place. Mr. L. was born at Deep River, Middlesex Co., Conn., in 1844. In 1857, his parents moved to Sandwich, De Kalb County, Ill. In 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was in the battles of Arkansas Post, Chickasaw Bayou, Vicksburg and Atlanta, and in all the skirmishes of his regiment at Goldsboro, N. C. Was detailed to take charge of the corral, and remained at that place one year and was mustered out in June, 1865, when he returned to Sandwich, Ill., and engaged in running a line of express wagons, which business he followed until his return to this State in 1872. In 1876, he engaged in livery business at this place, and in 1879, ran a line of hacks from Hastings to Red Cloud, Neb. Was married, in La Salle County, Ill., June 16, 1868, to Miss Agnes V. Blodgett. They have three children. Was elected a member of the City Council in 1880, and re-elected in 1881. Is a member of Beatrice Temple of Honor, No. 4.
J. B. LONG, dealer in sheep and wool, was born at Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., October 10, 1852, and located at Beatrice in 1875. He has been engaged in the sheep and wool business since he came, in 1881, and during that time has shipped into the State from Michigan and Wisconsin over 20,000 head of sheep. He shipped 110,000 pounds of wool to Boston, the average price paid for wool being 20 cents. He is now feeding and fattening over 2,000 head for the Eastern market, which he brought from California and Oregon. He weighed 1,000 of them recently and they average 122 pounds each. Mr. Long is Secretary of the Southern Nebraska Wool Growers & Sheep Breeders' Association, having a membership of about fifty. They have a sheep shearing festival each year at Beatrice, where the best sheep are sheared and premiums awarded. He commenced pork packing in the fall of 1881, being the first to attempt the business here. He packed 400 head the first season.
[Portrait of William Lamb.]
[RESIDENCE OF WILLIAM LAMB.]
WILLIAM LAMB, banker, came to Nebraska to reside in February, 1869, and was for a number of years engaged in various kinds of mercantile business. For five years prior to starting his private bank, August 1, 1878, he was in the hardware business. He is a native of Brookfield, Madison County, N. Y. He located at Elgin, Ill., in 1855, and was there until 1860; then went to Rochelle, Ill., where he resided until he came to Beatrice. He was Justice of the Peace for six years when he first came here. He has been Councilman two terms, and was County Commissioner during 1879, 1880 and 1881. He was married at Edmeston, Otsego County, N. Y., in 1842, to Marie Joslyn, a native of Massachusetts. They have two children--William H. and Augusta M. Mr. Lamb is a member of the M. E. Church, A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, being a charter member of the society.
EUGENE MACK, proprietor of City Hotel, was born in County Carey, Ireland, in 1842, coming to America with his parents in 1852, and located in Worcester, Mass. Remaining at home until the war broke out in 1861, when he was sworn in the United States service in the Quartermaster department as a mechanic, and went to Annapolis, Md., to fit out Burnside's expedition, and went with him to North Carolina, remaining there until the close of the war, in 1865, when he was promoted to Master Mechanic of the Ponton Corps, and was stationed at St. Louis; and in 1865 was sent to Fort McPherson, Neb., as Master Mechanic, remaining there one year. He then left the service and located at Beatrice; ran a lumber mill for two years, then went to Swan City and engaged in the same business there, remaining eighteen months. He was then employed by the Union Pacific Railway Company, on their contract as tie inspector, remaining there for one year. He then was a railroad contractor in Kansas and Missouri for four years. He then bought the Granger Hotel, which he has changed to the City Hotel, and opened a livery in connection, which he has followed since; also owns and carries on a large farm of 400 acres on Section 31, Town 4, Range 5. In 1878, was elected Sheriff of Gage County, serving two years. Was married, in 1869, to Miss Hattie E. Bailey, of Beatrice. Is a member of Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
GEORGE P. MARVIN, proprietor of the Gage County Democrat, was born in Shullsburg, La Fayette Co., Wis., March 24, 1851. He lived there until 1859, when he removed to Richardson County, Neb., and lived there and in Nemaha County. In 1865, he crossed the plains, returning to Falls City, where, in company with his father, he published the Southern Nebraskian, he having learned the printer's trade at Brownville. In 1867, he again returned to the mountains, remaining there until 1869; going to Falls City, he published the Press two years, and worked at this trade there after selling out. He came to Beatrice, and in December, 1879, he started the Gage County Democrat. He was married, at Falls City, November 29, 1874, to Anna R. May. She is a native of St. Louis. They have three children--Frankie May, Julia A. and an infant son, George T. Mr. Marvin is a member of I. O. O. F.
H. H. McINTYRE, dealer in farm machinery, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1836, remaining there until 1866. In 1866, he located in Kendall County, Ill., and was employed by the Marsh Harvester Company, remaining there two years. From there he went to Sycamore, Ill., when he was retained by the same company as general foreman of their works, they having moved to that place with their works, remaining there until 1873, when he located at Lincoln, Neb., and traveled for the Marsh Harvester Company, in Nebraska, until 1881, when he located in Beatrice and commenced handling farm machinery the first year, 1881, with about $15,000 stock, with sales for the year $25,000. Is also sole agent for the Davis Sewing Machine for this section. In 1862, enlisted in Jefferson County, N. Y., in the Tenth New York Artillery and Company G, serving three years, receiving his discharge in August, 1865. In 1859, was married to Miss Mary Graham of Jefferson County, N. Y. They have been blessed with one son and one daughter. Mr. McIntyre also owns a fine stock farm in Saline County.
ALFRED MILLER, meat market, born in England in 1839, and in 1850 came to America, and settled in Wisconsin, locating in Columbia County, where he engaged in farming in 1861; enlisted at Madison in Company A, Seventh Wisconsin Infantry. When he had served eighteen months, he was severely wounded at the battle of Gainesville and was discharged; returning home, he commenced farming, but his wound bothered him until he was obliged to give up farming and went to butchering. In 1878, located at Beatrice, and opened the Blue Valley Meat Market, which he carried on three years, when he sold out and bought out Bradt Brothers, the oldest market in the place; was married at Columbus, Wis., to Miss Mary McCabe in 1864; is a member of the Masonic Lodge of Beatrice, also I. O. O. F. of Columbus, Wis.
WILLIAM W. MORSE, farmer, P. O. Beatrice, Section 16, Gage County, came here in February, 1880, and located five and one-half miles west of Beatrice, in this precinct. He is now living in Beatrice Precinct, and carries on stock-raising, having 240 acres of land in his farm. He was born in Richmond, Chittenden Co., Vt., August 28, 1846. He lived in that State until he was twelve years of age, when he went to Franklin County, N. Y., living there five years. He then removed to Stark County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until the fall of 1877. For two years prior to coming to Nebraska, he was in the livery business. He was married at Osceola, Stark Co., Ill., November 11, 1866, to Mary Jane Moore, a native of Stark County. They have two children--Elbert and Carrie Viola. Mr. Morse is a member of the Baptist Church; he was second School Director of his district.
EMANUEL MURGATROYD, Nebraska, Section 18, Town 3, east, was born in Yorkshire England. He came to this country in 1846, settled in Racine County, Wis., where he engaged in farming. He visited England in 1859, then came to Nebraska in 1866, homesteading in Gage County, on the Big Blue River, on Section 18, Town 3, Range 7 east. He was married in England, in 1841, to Miss Ellen Newsome; they have ten children, five of whom are now living--Thomas, Maggie, Rebecca, Ann and Mary. He has been School Treasurer in this school district for the past twelve years. He now resides on Section 24, Town 3, Range 6 east. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising at the present time, and owns 380 acres of land on Sections 18 and 24.
W. D. NICHOLLS, dealer in farm machinery, was born in Canada in 1842, and lived on a farm with his father, helping to clear a 250-acre farm, dividing his time between the farm and attending school, finishing his education at the Union School at the village near his home. In October, 1867, went to Illinois, remained a short time, located in Wisconsin, thence to Iowa in 1871, and bought a farm in Cass County, near the town of Atlantic, and was farming until 1873, when he was employed by Van Brunt & Son at Council Bluffs, as salesman for farm machinery, remaining with them two years, when he located in Beatrice, Gage Co., Neb., and traveled for the McCormick Reaper Company of Chicago, remaining with them three years, when he went in the retail machinery trade with Lamb & Wagner, and was in company with them one year. The next year, Mr. Nicholls engaged in the same business alone, and has a capital of $8,000, and annual sales of $30,000. In the fall of 1874, was married to Miss Ada Pellett, of Atlantic, Iowa. They have had four children--W. J., W. A., Mary L. and Clara M.; is a member of the Temple of Honor, and Mr. and Mrs. Nicholls are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
F. C. PARKER, station agent U. P. R. R., Beatrice, Neb., was born in Chicago, Ill., in 1858. In 1868, went to Boone County, Iowa. In 1872, went to Atchison, Kan., where he learned telegraphy, and entered the employ of the A. & N. R. R.; entered employ of St. Joe & D. C. R. R. (now U. P. R. R.), in February, 1878; was appointed agent at Beatrice in 1880; was married in January, 1881, to Miss Frances Carver, of Olivet, Mich. Mrs. Parker's death took place in April, 1881. Mr. Parker is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.
HON. H. W. PARKER, Register United States Land Office, came to Nebraska in 1857, and located in what is now Holt Precinct, Gage County, in April, 1858; he engaged in farming and stock-raising, which he continued until the spring of 1865, when he removed to Camden, Seward Co., Neb. He built a saw-mill that year, and two years later completed a grist-mill, and operated both of them until 1871, when he was appointed Register of the United States Land Office, which position he has held since. He was County Judge of old Clay County, and Clerk of the same county, which is now part of Gage County, in early days; was also one of the first Commissioners of Seward County. In 1860-61, he represented Gage, old Clay and Johnson Counties in the Territorial Legislature. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1871. He was born in Worcester, Mass., December 17, 1827; when he was five years old his parents moved to Athens County, Ohio; after living there three years he moved to Chillicothe, Ross County, where he lived until 1847; he then lived three years in Columbus, and in 1850 went to Ironton and started to Ironton Register, publishing it until the spring of 1858, when he came to Nebraska. He was married at Austinburg, Ohio, in October, 1852, to Almira T. Dole, a native of Ohio. They have two children--Franklin H. and Louis C. The boys are both connected with their father in the coal, lumber and lime trade. Judge Parker is Vice President of the First National Bank. He is President of the Cement Company, and also of the Telephone Company. He has been President of the School Board, and is one of the Vice Presidents of the Gage County Agricultural Society; he is an A., F. & A. M., and a member of I. O. O. F., being Past Grand Master of the latter; he is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. The Clay County named was divided and added to Gage and Lancaster Counties in 1864. We think another county was organized and named Clay, two counties west of old Clay.
[Portrait of A. S. Paddock.]
HON. ALGERNON SIDNEY PADDOCK, was born at Glen's Falls, N. Y., November 5, 1830; his father, Ira A. Paddock, had been a native of Glen's Falls from early youth, and was a prominent lawyer there until the time of his death in 1862. Young Paddock spent his youth at that place, entering the Glen's Falls Academy in his thirteenth year; he pursued his studies until he was eighteen years old, when he entered Union College; he remained in college up to his senior year, when he left and went to Detroit, Mich., where he had a brother living. After staying there for three months, he returned to New York and taught district school, studying law meanwhile. In May, 1857, he came out to Fort Calhoun, Neb., where he pre-empted a farm and settled; that was his home until 1872, when he moved to Beatrice, Gage County, and took a farm, where he has since resided. During 1858 and 1859, he was engaged on editorial work for the Omaha Republican. In 1860, he was a delegate to the National Republican Convention at Chicago that nominated Lincoln. That fall he stumped New York State in the interests of the ticket. Through the influence of friends he was nominated for Secretary of Nebraska, and assumed the position April 1, 1861. In 1864, he was a delegate to the National Convention at Baltimore. In 1867, he was a candidate for the Senate, but was defeated by John M. Thayer. In 1868, he was nominated by President Johnson Governor of Wyoming, but declined the place. In the winter of 1874-75, he was elected to the United States Senate for a term of six years. His course in the Senate was marked by unremitting attention to the wants of his constituents, and of the State which he represented. In the winter of 1880-81, he was a candidate for re-election, but after eighteen ballots he was defeated by C. H. Van Wyck. Since that time Mr. Paddock has been living on his farm. He was married December 22, 1869, to Emma L. Mack, a daughter of Daniel Mack, of Canton, N. Y.