Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
[BEATRICE, NEB., FROM THE SOUTHWEST.]
The county seat has a charming location on the Big Blue, near the geographical center of the county. The town site is very rolling, and with an elevation at its highest point of about seventy-five feet above the river. To the north and west and the south extends the broad valley of the Blue, which, with its winding, silver stream, and woods, and the rolling country stretching for miles along its banks, presents a scene at once pleasing and picturesque. Especially is this true in the spring, when it wears its dress of green, and in summer and autumn, with their flowers and variegated foliage. It is handsomely built up, the business portion of the city being remarkable for adaptability, solidity, and even handsomeness, of its business buildings, and the houses for their comfort and neatness, and many for their elegance. From the south, the view is strikingly beautiful, and on entering the city you will not be disappointed, for you will find it one of the largest and most attractive places in Southern Nebraska. It has been profusely decorated with shade trees, which, in a few years, will nearly double its present attractiveness. The streets are broad and well kept, and, on account of excellent drainage advantages, are never very muddy. A fine agricultural and stock-raising country surrounds it, by the rapid development of which Beatrice has been able to make rapid progress; yet both town and country are largely indebted to the railroad facilities that, in the past ten years, have been secured.
The society is exceptionally good, characterized by intelligence, refinement, and a high moral and religious tone. Ninety per cent of its population of about four thousand is of the better class of Americans. Its church and school privileges are surprising, considering its rapid growth.
Although the business growth of Beatrice has been rapid, it has nevertheless been substantial, which is confirmed by the solidity, neatness and extent of its business blocks. They bear conclusive evidence in their appearance that they were not built for temporary use by capitalists expecting to soon reap an abundant fortune and return in a few years to the East to enjoy it, but, on the contrary, by men who have located here permanently, for the purpose of making this their home. This is further proven by the residences, which, as a rule, are commodious, comfortable, durable, and attractive in design. The principal material used is brick, with a number of stone buildings. It has got beyond the stage of country stores--i.e., general merchandise--a little hardware, a little queensware, boots and shoes, jewelry, millinery, often a few drugs, stationery, books, clothing, meats, lumber, and more groceries and dry goods, and often the necessaries of a broker's office; in fact, most anything, from a ten-penny nail to a threshing machine, a shoe-string to a rubber coat, and a paper of pins to a worsted dress. This stage has been passed, and there are now about eight exclusive grocery stores, four dry goods, four clothing, three boots and shoes, three drug, three furniture, four hardware, four bakeries, two meat markets, three banks, four millinery, one flouring-mill, besides a number of mixed stores that carry groceries and dry goods, or groceries, hardware and boots and shoes. There are two groceries that have an extensive wholesale business. The mercantile business for the year 1881 is estimated at about $500,000, which, however, may be too large, yet it will not fall far short of that amount in 1882.
Beatrice has one of the finest dams on the Big Blue. It operates four run of buhrs, with all the necessary machinery, and it is estimated that there is sufficient power to run sixteen buhrs and the necessary machinery to make the best flour. Besides its utility, it is a thing of beauty. The dam is slightly curved up stream, and about eight feet high, over which the pure and clear water of the Blue pours and splashes the year round. Over the dam is a graceful iron bridge, 100 feet in the clear, and about fifteen feet above the water. This is the third dam that has been constructed at this point, the first one having been built in the fall and winter of 1860. It was about finished, and the stringers of a bridge with supports on the dam were about to be laid, when it turned suddenly warm and rained very heavily, causing the heavy snow to disappear in a short time, and with it the dam and mill that was nearly ready to commence operating. Another dam and mill were constructed and operated till 1871, when the dam was again carried away. The mill burned in 1877, and in 1878 the dam was reconstructed. There is prospect of conducting the water from a point six miles above Beatrice, in an artificial channel, to operate a mill just above the present dam.
Beatrice is the principal town on the Burlington & Missouri west of Lincoln, having the most desirable location and doing the most business. It is at present the terminus of a branch of the Union Pacific, connecting at Marysville, Kan., with the main line. It will, however, be completed on to Lincoln in 1882, where it will connect with a branch from the Nebraska line of the Union Pacific. The Wabash line is expected to cross the Big Blue at Beatrice during the present year, but Blue Springs and Wymore are rivals for the same road, and it is hard to predict where a railroad will strike.
This sketch properly belongs to two or three counties west of this, but it is given now as the facts were all learned here, and because this is the home of Mr. Emery's relatives.
Robert Emery was one of the most fearless, kind-hearted and generous young men that ever braved the dangers of frontier life. In 1864, he was stage-driver along the St. Joe and Denver route. In August of that year occurred the great Indian raid, when so many settlers lost all their property, and a great many their lives. There were nine passengers in his coach--seven gentlemen and two ladies. Although exceedingly dangerous, he offered to drive to Liberty Farm, where his brother, Charles Emery, lived. The morning of August 9, 1864, was a most delightful morning. The sky was clear, and a cool and refreshing breeze came from the northwest. The coach left the station of Big Sandy with its freight of human life, drawn by four large and mettled steeds, in which the driver had unbounded confidence, and over them perfect control. The journey was without accident or unusual incident until about 11 o'clock, up to which time no signs of Indians had been seen. But, just as the lead horses had passed over the hill and were on a spur that led into the bottom land, or valley (this was narrow, and bordered on either side by deep ravines worn by the water), and just before the coach had commenced the descent, the driver discovered a band of Indians about thirty rods in advance. He wheeled the horses in an instant--two rods further on, he could not have accomplished the turning--and, laying the whip to their backs, commenced an impetuous retreat. The passengers were terrified, and were at once all on their feet. Emery said, "If you value your lives, for God's sake keep your seats or we are lost!" The Indians, about fifty, gave chase, with their terrifying yell, and for about three miles, which were accomplished in about twelve minutes, pursued and pursuers made the most desperate effort at speed. The savage yells of those bloodthirsty villains, and the wails of despair of the men and women in the coach, are past the power of pencil to describe. But, to the glory of the driver be it said, that he was the only steady-nerved and unexcited person in this memorable chase. The coach bristled with arrows "like quills upon the fretful porcupine." They grazed young Emery on every side, and one cut the tarett off the head of one of the wheel horses; but the young man heeded nothing but his driving. There were two points at which all would have been lost but for the driver's wonderful presence of mind. These were two abrupt turns in the road, where the coach would have been thrown over had he not brought the team to a halt and turned with care. But this he did, to the dismay of some of the passengers, who saw escape only in speed, but their subsequent praise of his conduct was as great as his courage had been cool and calculating.
George Constable, who was conducting an ox train over the route, saw the coach about a mile ahead, and at once corraled his twenty-five wagons. The brave driver drove his nine passengers into their shelter in safety. Words could not express the gratitude felt for their hero and deliverer. In the delirium of delight, they embraced and kissed him, and thanked God that he had held the lines, and that they were in a position where they could not interfere. And the noble steeds were not forgotten. The passengers patted them, and cast their arms about their necks with feelings of grateful emotion. This memorable drive would never be forgotten, though not recorded here, for the story would be handed down to posterity by the successive generations of the saved. The hero of that day's chase won not his best laurels in that hour, for wherever he was known, his gentle manner and kind deeds won for him a welcome in every heart, and wherever known, there were his praises heard. Devoid of boastful pretense, he wore meekly his well-deserved honors, and silently carried a hero's heart. His health was frail, and in about one year from that day he was prostrated with a fever, and, while he was upon his death-bed, yet still conscious, Mrs. Randolph, one of the number he had saved from a horrible death, placed upon his finger a beautiful gold ring, in which was engraved the following: "E. Umphry, G. C. Randolph and Hattie P. Randolph, to Robert Emery, in acknowledgment of what we owe his cool conduct and good driving on Tuesday, August 9, 1864."
Oh, how this must have eased his pillow of pain! for soon after this, he passed away from these scenes of warfare to the silent and peaceful realm of the dead. The doctor who attended him in his last hours eulogized him as a silent hero, and as, all in all, one of the noblest of mankind--God's nobleman.
The public schools of Beatrice are in good condition. The buildings are not all first-class at present, but a square has been set apart for the erection of the very best in a few years. This is now ornamented with shade trees, which, in half a decade, will make a most delightful retreat for the cultivation of minds of the rising citizens.
The first schoolhouse built in the county was upon this square, known as the School Block. Mrs. Francis Butler was the first teacher, and, from the best authority we can now find, we learn that she had about fifteen pupils on the roll.
The main building is in the eastern portion of the city, and cost about $18,000. It is roomy, but very poorly arranged and ventilated, poorly constructed, and without very good taste. There are three other school buildings. The best one is on the west side of the river, and cost about $2,500.
There are nine teachers at present employed, with an average attendance of about four hundred pupils.
The Blake School, although a private enterprise, is so excellent, and so nearly a public enterprise, that it deserves especial mention. This school is the property of Prof. Henry N. Blake and his wife, both of whom are experienced teachers from Massachusetts, where they conducted a private academy. The school is very pleasantly located in a corner of the Professor's garden, and is already an assured success. At the time of our visit there were 100 enrolled. The building is the most perfectly ventilated schoolhouse we ever examined, and it must be nearly perfect, as no headaches occur, and as many pupils have been cured of constant pain in the head. Physical and moral culture are ranked equally with the mental, and consequently the latter is more rapid and thorough than in ordinary schools. The school will have a benficial effect upon the public schools of the county, and we predict that, if the school continues as at present for ten years, Gage County will be renowned for its school system.
About the middle of August, 1878, the little village of Beatrice was thrown into feverish excitement over the discovery of a conspiracy formed be a few of its hitherto respected and honored citizens, to throw a cloud over the title of all valuable real estate in the town. The exact design of the conspirators is not known, but the following facts are terrible enough without even the most charitable design. Early in the organization of the town, the Mayor had the power to grant to actual occupants who had put a least $20 worth of improvements on any lot, a title to the same. This had, however, gone out of force in May, 1875.
The 17th of August, Mayor Hale had a large number of Mayor's deeds printed at the Express office. Mr. Hale issued to several prominent citizens--in all about two hundred and fifty--deeds of the most valuable lots in Beatrice. The discovery was made when seventy-six of them were filed for record in the Clerk's office. He did not record them, as the fees were not paid. Public indignation ran high, and many were fearful of fatal results. But the conspirators pursued the better course when they were discovered. A citizens' meeting was called to convene at the court house. Here all the deeds were read over by one of the citizens, after which a motion to the effect that the Mayor write the word "canceled" across the face of each deed and sign with his official signature, was carried, and complied with by Mr. Hale at once. The City Council was requested to meet at once, after which it was moved that Mayor Hale and City Clerk Bates resign their positions of honor and trust. The former wrote out his resignation on the spot, but the young Clerk was not to be found. But the affair suddenly stopped, and these men are left the consoling legacy of living with a burden of regret for their fatal public error.
From the first settlement up to 1867, no paper was published in the county, and no attempt until that year to establish a press. Mr. J. R. Nelson, however, in that year commenced the publication of the Blue Valley Record. This showed Mr. N.'s courage, as there were only about one thousand people in the county at that time. In the year following, it changed hands, and was published under the name of the Clarion until 1870, when Theo. Coleman bought the paper and changed the name to the Beatrice Express, under which it is still published as the organ of the Republican party of Gage County. In January, 1874, Mr. Coleman associated with himself Mr. M. A. Brown, who has, since the withdrawal of Mr. Coleman in 1875 to accept a position in the Treasury Department at Washington, been editor and sole proprietor. The Express, under the management of the last few years, has been successful and remunerative, and is one of the leading county papers in the State.
The Gage County Democrat was established in December, 1879, by George P. Marvin, who is still editor and proprietor. He was formerly editor of the Falls City Press. The paper is strictly Democratic, and, for its short existence, has the best circulation of any in the county, which is perhaps because it is the only Democratic organ in the county, while there are six or seven Republican.
The Gage County Independent was started in 1873 by A. C. Routzahn, under the name of the Sentinel. It was then Republican, and was afterward changed to the Beatrice Courier. It is now Independent in name and principle, and Boyd & Conlee are editors and proprietors. As the Independent, it was commenced December 10, 1881.
The Methodist Episcopal Church here was organized about 1860, with Rev. John Foster as pastor. The church has been very prosperous. It owns a $2,000 stone edifice, which, however, has become too small to accommodate its congregation, and the subject of a larger building is now being discussed. It has a membership of 265, 120 having united with the church during the revival of last winter, under the preaching of Rev. H. T. Davis, who has been Presiding Elder in Nebraska for fourteen years. The Sunday school numbers about two hundred and twenty-five.
The Presbyterian Church of Beatrice was organized in 1869, by the Presbytery of Nebraska City. Its first pastor was Rev. Benjamin F. McNeil, who was succeeded by Rev. James Griffes. Rev. Thomas S. Vaill, Rev. L. W. B. Shryock, Rev. W. H. McMeen, Rev. H. F. White and Rev. A. B. Irwin have successively been Pastor of this church. The church cost $3,500. It has a membership of about one hundred and fifty, with 200 pupils in the Sunday school.
Christ Church.--In the month of April, 1871, the Episcopal Church organized as a mission station, in charge of Rev. J. E. Roberts, and two years thereafter was organized as a parish, under the name of Christ Church, Rev. J. S. Colton, rector in charge, and in the summer of 1874, a very neat and commodious church building was erected at a cost of about $3,000. It has a membership of about forty, and Rev. Dr. McNamora is rector.
The Christian Church.--This church was organized in October, 1872, with a membership of twenty-five. They worshiped in a rented hall until the fall of 1874, when, on the first Sabbath of October, they dedicated their new church, which cost $2,500 to erect. Rev. J. M. Williams began his labors as pastor in 1875, but on account of ill health resigned in 1875. They are now without a pastor, but services are conducted by some of the Elders every Lord's Day. They have a membership of about ninety-five at present.
The First Baptist Church of Beatrice was organized in the fall of 1873 by Rev. Dr. Webb, with eighteen members, and during the following year a very neat edifice was erected, at a cost of about $1,400. Rev. S. P. Nason succeeded Dr. Webb, who in turn was succeeded by Rev. George Scott, the present pastor. They have a membership of about ninety, with a good Sunday school.
On the 14th of December, 1874, the United Brethren organized a church in Beatrice, and employed Rev. W. H. Shepherd as their first pastor. They came into possession of a valuable tract of land near Beatrice in 1875, by devise of Mrs. Elizabeth Joseph, late of Etna, Ohio, by the aid of which they erected a very commodious church in 1876. They have a good membership. Rev. J. H. Embree was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. P. P. Landon.
The German Baptists, commonly called "Dunkards," organized a church in the country on the 9th day of June, 1875, with a membership of about twenty, which has increased to about eighty. Rev. Uriah Schick officiated as their minister in the organization of the church, and was succeeded by Rev. William Price, who was elected on that day. Henry Brubaker, Isaac Dell and Thomas Graham are also active ministers in the denomination.
The German Methodists organized a church in Clatonia Precinct in 1870, and a church was erected in 1871, at a cost of $1,000. It is doing well, and has a membership of about one hundred and thirty-four.
In 1875, the Lutherans organized a society, and have erected a parsonage, schoolhouse and church, and are doing well.
In Adams Precinct, in 1874, the Methodist Episcopal Church organized a society, and now have a good church and parsonage at that place. The Baptists have a church in the same precinct, with a membership of about fifty.
Up to 1879, Gage County had the oldest Postmaster in the State in the person of Albert Towle, who was appointed by Buchanan, in 1860, and served in that capacity in Beatrice up to the time of his death in March, 1979, his unexpired term being filled by his daughter, Katie. It is said that there was a time when "Pap" kept the post office in his hat, and as he was by choice and at times of neccessity a devotee of the piscatorial art, anxious swains from the country were often compelled to hunt the shores of the Big Blue for mail from their females or go mailless back to their sod huts. The mails at first were monthly and were exceedingly light, often consisting of eight or ten letters and two or three papers. It has now become to be an office of the third class, and has six mails a day, with an average of about eight hundred and fifty letters per day. It cost at first about $25 per year, but now $2,375.50, and requires the aid of two assistants. Mr. Jacob Drum became Postmaster in October, 1879, and still holds the position. In 1881, the business of the office, including receipts and payments on money orders, amounted to $74,087.16.
The Masonic Hall of Beatrice is perhaps the finest in the State outside of Omaha. The main room is large and handsomely furnished. In connection with the halls are convenient ante-rooms and a commodious banqueting-hall, provided with all the necessaries of such a hall. All the necessary paraphernalia of the order is of the finest. The three divisions of the order here are, with their officers, as follows:
Livingston Chapter, No. 10, Royal Arch Masons, was organized in 1880, and has at present forty-four members. The officers at present are O. N. Wheelock, H. P.; G. L. Cole, K.; H. N. Blake, S.; William Lamb, Treas.; A. V. S. Saunders, Sec.; J. E. Cobbey, C. H.; Jesse Richards, P. S.; W. E. Ryan, R. A. C.; J. L. Webb, G. M. 3d; L. T. Griggs, G. M. 2d; D. G. Fiske, 1st; William Heikes, Sentinel.
Blue Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.--This lodge was organized, in 1869, and has eighty-five members at this writing. Officers: O. M. Enlow, W. M.; G. L. Cole, S. W.; J. E. Cobbey, J. W.; William Lamb, Treasurer; H. M. Blake, Secretary; Jesse Richards, S. D.; E. H. Daniels, J. D.; D. G. Fiske, S. S.; D. B. Harkrader, J. S.; William Heikes, Tiler.
Mt. Hermon Commandery, No. 7.--Organized in 1882 and has twenty-five members. Officers: O. M. Enlow, E. C.; H. W. Parker, Gen.; O. N. Wheelock, C. G.; William Lamb, Treasurer; A. V. S. Saunders, Rector.
Beatrice Lodge, No. 19, I. O. O. F.--Was instituted May 24, 1870, by P. G. M. How and G. K. Jonas Harker, and now has seventy-five members. Officers: H. D. Rogers, Noble Grand; Louis Werner, Vice Grand; A. T. Scott, Secretary; Joseph Johnson, Permanent Secretary; I. W. Funk, Treasurer.
Goodrich Encampment, No. 19--Was organized January, 1882, and has fifty members. Officers: Benjamin Palmerton, C. P.; D. A. Knight, H. P.; E. S. Cushman, S. W.; G. A. Walthers, J. W.; H. W. Parker, Scribe, Edom Shugart, Treasurer.
The Odd Fellows Hall is large, conveniently arranged and handsomely furnished. It is used also by other societies. The design is to soon erect a temple.
The Knights of Pythias did have an organization here, but is not in working order at present.
Knights of Honor.--This society was organized in February, 1880, and has about twenty-five members. They meet in the I. O. O. F. Hall. A. Hardy, Past Dictator and Deputy Grand Dictator; David Nice, P. D.; George Clark, P. D.; Hugh J. Dobbs, Dictator; Frank Parker, Reporter; George B. Phelps, Financial Reporter and Treasurer.
Grand Army of the Republic.--This post organized in February, 1880, and has sixty-eight members. Thomas Yule, Commander; F. T. Hall, Adj. Commander. One of their members, L. E. Wheeler, was one of the greatest sufferers at Andersonville, and confined the longest. Another, J. C. Fletcher, still has his last rations.
Beatrice is headquarters First Regiment Nebraska National Guards, of which L. W. Colby is Colonel Commander, and C. O. Bates, Adj. Commander.
Company C, of Beatrice, of National Guards of Nebraska, has about forty-six members. O. M. Enlow, Captain; and F. T. Hall, First Lieutenant. The company is well equipped and quite proficient in drill.
Temple of Honor.--This society was organized in 1877, and has about eighty-four members, and is doing good work. They have a well-furnished hall. Officers: N. D. Hubbard, Worthy Chief; J. R. Burke, Worthy Vice; W. H. Coon, Recording Secretary; George Metzger, Financial Recorder; E. Sanford, Treasurer. The society has one open meeting each month.
Lodge No. 86, Independent Order Good Templars, of Beatrice, was organized about the middle of 1874, and has 120 members; is full of interest and doing good work. The following officers were installed February 1, 1882. Officers: T. E. Wilson, W. C. T.; Belle Wyatt, R. S.; Maria Upson, L. S.; Julia A. McGee, W. V. T.; C. M. Sloan, W. S.; J. H. Inman, W. A. S.; M. Weaverling, W. F. S.; Emma West, W. T.; L. L. V. Edwards, W. C.; J. Q. Reed, W. M.; Fannie Crump, W. D. M.; Clara Pettegrew, W. I. G.; George G. Hill, Sentinel; Hattie Hill, Organist; L. E. Wheeler, P. W. C. T.
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union was instituted in June, 1880; has about forty members, and is doing good work. Officers: Mrs. Rev. E. S. Vaill, President; Mrs. H. T. Davis, Mrs. C. Schell, Mrs. George Scott, Mrs. M. G. Griggs and Miss Helen Jansen, Vice Presidents; Mrs. A. Harvey, Treasurer; Mrs. M. Wagner, Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. S. S. Somers, Secretary.
The Gospel Temperance Union was recently re-organized, and is, perhaps, doing more good than the others, as all its meeting are public. It is in fact a union of all the societies and churches. The membership is about five hundred.
Gage County Woman's Suffrage Association.--This association is very strong throughout Nebraska, and this branch of it is quite strong, although it was not organized until September, 1881. It has been doing some good work in its direction, and furnished a delegate to the National Convention at Washington, held in January, 1882. Dr. Mary B. White, the first lady physician in Nebraska, is President, and Mrs. Ella Vaill is Secretary.
Gage County Agricultural Society.--This society was formed in 1880, and held an excellent fair in 1881. There are about twenty stockholders, and they are pledged to pay all premiums whether the receipts are large enough or not. They have grounds southwest of Beatrice, and are in a prosperous condition. The following are the officers for 1882: Frank H. Holt, President; Watson Pickrell, E. F. Davis and J. E. Smith, Vice Presidents; Jacob Klein, Secretary; C. J. Schmidt, Treasurer; P. J. Myers, General Superintendent; H. W. Parker, B. W. Schell, Alfred Hazlett, J. H. Alden and P. J. Myers, Board of Managers.
City Library.--The W. S. T. Union at present have control of the library, in connection with which they have a public reading-room, which is well patronized. There are about six hundred volumes, and five monthly and eight weekly periodicals are taken.
[SMITH BROTHERS, FIRST NATIONAL BANK.]
The First National Bank of Beatrice succeeded to the business of Smith Brothers, who commenced business in September, 1872. They commenced business in a very small way, being entire strangers in the community. The First National was chartered and commenced business in April, 1877. The directory of the bank remains the same as when it was first organized.
[The Smith Brothers have a bank at Red Cloud, which is conducted as a private institution.]
The following are the Directors of the First National Bank of Beatrice, Neb.:
Hon. A. S. Paddock, Hon. H. W. Parker, Elijah Filley, James Ellis (New York), C. G. Dorsey, Samuel C. Smith and John E. Smith.
The following are the officers of the First National Bank of Beatrice, Neb.:
John E. Smith, President; H. W. Parker, Vice President; S. C. Smith, Cashier, and Frank Graham, Assistant Cashier.
To show the wonderful growth of the business of this institution, we publish a statement of its condition after it had been in operation less than nine months, and another report dated four years later.
The following is a report of the condition of the First National Bank of Beatrice, Neb., at the close of business December 31, 1877:
Loans and Discounts......$ 61,574 20 Capital Stock.......$ 50,000 00 United States Bonds...... 30,000 00 Surplus and Profits. 1,603 26 Other Stock and Bonds.... 3,073 50 Circulation......... 27,000 00 Real Estate.............. 5,978 30 Deposits............ 60,471 61 Furniture and Fixtures... 2,006 66 Unpaid Dividends.... 2,500 00 Premiums................. 2,550 00 Due from Banks and United States Treasurer....... 22,052 74 Cash on hand............. 14,339 47 _________ __________ Total..................$141,574 87 Total..........$141,574 87
The following is a report of the condition of the First National Bank of Beatrice, Neb., at the close of business December 31, 1881:
Loans and Discounts......$190,235 22 Capital Stock.......$ 50,000 00 United States Bonds...... 50,000 00 Surplus and Profits. 15,074 27 Other Stocks and Bonds... 1,137 51 Circulation......... 45,000 00 Due from Banks and United Deposits............ 204,552 11 States Treasurer....... 61,105 35 Re-discounts........ 19,000 00 Real Estate.............. 6,861 30 Furniture and Fixtures... 2,800 00 Cash on hand............. 21,487 00 ___________ ___________ Total.................$333,626 38 Total..........$333,626 38
Gage County Bank was organized June 14, 1881. Capital, $50,000. E. E. Brown of Lincoln, President; William Lamb, Manager; O. M. Enlow, Cashier and Attorney. The business of this bank is constantly increasing, it being conducted by gentlemen who have the confidence of the people. Mr. Lamb, the manager, and one of the principal owners, has been for many years prominently identified with the business interests of Beatrice. August 1, 1879, he opened a private banking-house, of which the Gage County Bank is an out-growth. Prior to engaging in the banking business, Mr. Lamb had carried on a successful mercantile business for several years.
In 1871, Beatrice was organized into a village of the third class, and, in 1873, into one of the second. The following were the first officers: S. C. B. Dean, Mayor; E. S. Chadwick, Police Judge; O. A. Avery, Marshal; W. A. Wagner, City Clerk; S. C. Smith, Treasurer; William Bradt, C. G. Dorsey, J. E. Hill and William Lamb, Councilmen. The last elected officers are Thomas Yule, Mayor; J. A. Smith, Police Judge; J. C. Fletcher, Clerk; J. F. King, Treasurer; James Leary, Marshal; Willis Ball, Engineer; I. N. McConnell, A. Halladay, S. P. Lester and George Metzger, Councilmen.