Climate, Soil and Rainfall | Water Courses | Natural Products|
Early Settlements | Indians
Pioneer History | First Things | Additions to the County|
Early Modes of Travel
Progress of the County | Official Roster|
Beatrice: Robert Emery | Educational | Town-Lot Steal | The Press|
Churches | Post Office | Societies | Bank
5 ~ 7:
Beatrice Biographical Sketches:|
ALDEN ~ FREEMAN | GESSELL ~ PADDOCK
PEARMAN ~ YULE
Blue Springs: Public Schools | Churches | Societies|
Wymore: Biographical Sketches|
Liberty: Biographical Sketches
Odell: Societies | Biographical Sketches|
Holmesville: Biographical Sketches
Adams: Biographical Sketches
Caldwell: Biographical Sketches|
Grant Precinct | Holt Precinct | Highland Precinct | Clatonia Precinct
List of Illustrations in Gage County Chapter
In 1865, W. N. Rogers, W. L. Rogers, John Carpenter, J. Thompson and John Bunker settled near the present townsite of Caldwell. These sturdy pioneers were the only settlers in that vicinity for a number of years, but, during the past ten years, its numbers have been so augmented that it is now one of the most prosperous communities in the county.
In April, 1872, a town site of 240 acres was laid off by a town company, of Boston, Mass., of which Messrs. Brooks, Forbes and Dennison were Trustees, on lands owned by F. Roper. A post office was established in the fall of 1872, with W. N. Rogers as first Postmaster, E. M. Evans being the present incumbent. A depot, warehouse and a few other frame structures were erected during the same year.
Located on the Omaha & South-Western Branch of the Burlington & Missouri, and on the banks of the Blue River, it has excellent facilities as a shipping and manufacturing point.
In the spring of 1875, Robinson & Howard erected a frame gristmill about half a mile below the original town site, and soon after, the few buildings on the town site were moved nearer the mill, leaving Caldwell proper without any buildings. Robinson & Howard ran the mill about two years, since which time it has changed owners several times. The present owners, J. Klein & Co., of Beatrice, are putting in new machinery and making extensive repairs. When finished, the mill will be one of the best in the neighborhood.
WILLIAM BLAKELY, farmer and stock-raiser, Blakeley Precinct, was born in Litchfield County, Conn., in 1821. In 1844, went to New Haven County, remaining there six years. From there went to New Jersey, where he remained three years engaged in teaching; thence to Illinois, where he remained a short time when he went to Iowa, remaining until the spring of 1857, when he came to Nebraska, and with his brother located at Beatrice. At that time there were not any buildings. The most of the time, for the first year, they traveled through the State looking for a suitable place to locate. The following summer he settled on a piece of land on Cub Creek, about eight miles west of Beatrice, on Section 29, Town 4, Range 5, consisting of 160 acres; first took in as squatter's claim, but afterward pre-empted it, his brother taking a claim near Beatrice. They worked together, sometimes living on one farm and sometimes living on the other for about two years, when William Blakely went to Jefferson County and sold goods for one year for D. C. Jenkins. From 1861 to 1864, was Government Assessor for the South Platte District in Nebraska, and was more or less engaged in buying stock, which he sold to Gov. Butler and other dealers until 1872, when the country settled up and cut off the range for cattle. About 1869, was elected Probate Judge for a term of two years. Was County Assessor for one year, and was appointed Government Numerator from one-half of Gage County for 1870. In 1866, was married to Miss Cornelia D. Bailey, of Blakely Precinct. They have been blessed with three children--Jessie L., George A. and Albert C. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Beatrice Lodge, No. 19, and Goodrich Encampment, No. 16, and has been Representative of the Grand Lodge of Nebraska for eight years.
JOHN C. BUNKER, farmer, P. O. Caldwell, homesteaded east half of southwest quarter and southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 11, Town 4, Range 5 east on his arrival here in 1866. Was born in Washington County, Iowa, in 1843, and was raised in that State. In August, 1862, enlisted in Company K, Thirtieth Iowa Infantry, and was in the Yazoo campaign at Arkansas Post, siege of Vicksburg, Miss., and the Atlanta Campaign with Sherman on his march to the sea, and in every engagement of his regiment of note but three; was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, in 1865. Was married in Nuckolls County, Neb., in 1872, to Miss Martha J. Johnson, daughter of Joseph Johnson, one of the pioneers of that county. Mr. and Mrs. B. were the first couple married in Nuckolls County, the ceremony being performed by Probate Judge Davis. They have three children--Byron, aged nine years; Thomas, aged five years, and John, three years.
JOHN CARPENTER, farmer, Section 24, Town 4, Range 5 east, P. O. Caldwell, homesteaded the northwest quarter of above section in 1865. Was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1836, but was raised in Washington County, Iowa. In 1862, enlisted in Company K, Thirtieth Iowa Infantry; took part in the Yazoo campaign. Was at Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, and with Sherman on his march to the sea. Was struck on the head with a piece of shell at Resaca and rendered insensible, but was on duty the next day. Was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, in June, 1865. Was married in Johnson County, Iowa, in 1858, to Miss Ellen L. Rogers. They have four children--William E., Viola, Eva J. and Ada C. He is a member of the Old Settlers' Society of Gage County.
RICHARD DIBBLE, an early settler in Gage County, is engaged in sheep-raising and farming near Beatrice. Mr. D. was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1836; he came to America in 1850. He first settled in Racine County, Wis., where he engaged in farming until the fall of 1857, when he made a trip to the South and West. Returning to Wisconsin in 1859, he again engaged in farming until 1864, when he enlisted in the service of his country, serving in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery. He was honorably discharged from the service in April, 1865, and in the fall of the same year he moved with his family to Nebraska, taking a homestead on Section 12, Township 4 north, Range 5 east, where he now resides. In 1871, he began the sheep business with one ewe. At different times since, he has owned and managed flocks varying from 800 to 1,500 head. Last year he shipped 4,800 pounds of wool. His average clip has been nine pounds. Mr. D. has some very fine Durham cattle, Norman horses and Poland-China hogs. He devotes much time and expense to this branch of industry. He is able to supply all who desire fine stock for breeding purposes with best grades. Mr. D. does an extensive shipping business, having, in 1874, sent two car loads of fat sheep to Chicago, the first sheep ever marketed from Gage County. His place, "Blue Mound Farm," consists of 400 acres of land, and lies on both sides of the Big Blue River. He was married in Waterford, Racine Co., Wis., to Miss Johanna Johnson, who was born in 1833, at Christiana, Norway. Six children have been born to them, all living; they are: Charlotte A., Ella M., Harry A. J., Etta M., Lillie D. and Lucy F. A. Mr. D. is a member of the South Platte Wool Growers' Association, and belongs to Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M.
BENJAMIN DOLAN, farmer, homesteaded the southwest quarter of Section 2, Town 4, Range 5 east, Blakeley Precinct, in 1864, and is now owner of nearly the whole section. Mr. D. is a native of Kentucky, and was born in that State in 1817. In 1853, he moved to Missouri and settled on the Platte purchase. In 1864, came to this State. Was married, in 1843, in Casey County, Ky., Miss Nancy Chesney, and have six children--John, Emily, Edwin, Harriet, Prather and James. Mr. Dolan is one of the early settlers of his section, and is a member of the Old Settlers' Society of Gage County.
M. E. EVANS, Postmaster, Caldwell, came to this State in 1871, and located in Beatrice, where he lived five years, working at his trade, that of blacksmith. In 1876, moved to Caldwell. In 1878, was appointed Postmaster at that place. Was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1837, and was raised in that State. In 1850, he commenced to learn the trade of blacksmith. In 1859, went to Henry County, Ind. In 1862, enlisted in Company G, Eighth Illinois Cavalry, and was in all the engagements of that command, serving in the Twenty-second Corps of the Army of the Potomac, and was mustered out at St. Louis, Mo., in 1865. Was married, in 1860, in Henry County, Ind., to Miss Sophronie B. Penney. They have two children--Frank B. and Minnie S.
W. L. ROGERS, farmer, P. O. Caldwell, was born in Erie County, Penn., in 1835, going with his parents to Ohio soon after, and, in 1836, went to Putnam, Castle Co., Ind. In 1838 and 1840, to Johnson County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming, remaining there until 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, First Iowa Infantry for three months; then in the Thirteenth Iowa Infantry, Company K, in September, 1861, serving until July, 1865; was in the principal battle of his regiment, Peach Tree Run, where he was taken prisoner and was taken to Andersonville, July 1864, remaining there two and one-half months, and from there was transferred to Florence, S. C., remaining there until December 14, 1864, when he was paroled and came here soon after he was exchanged in 1865; went back to his regiment, then after the war went to Iowa, and then to Nebraska in August, 1865, and took a homestead on Section 24, Town 4, Range 5, 160 acres. Now lives on Section 13, Town 4, Range 5, which his wife homesteaded before they were married. He has 160 acres which runs to the railroad station of Caldwell, and gave a lot for a mill on his land. Mr. R. is the present Assessor of Blakeley Precinct. Has been Constable, School Director, etc. Was married in 1865, to Miss Annie E. Wilson, of Iowa. They have four children--Mary E., Samuel H., Leon E. and B. E. Rogers. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Survivors of Andersonville Association.
R. ROSSITER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. De Witt, Section 3, Town 4, Range 5 east, and homesteaded the northwest quarter in 1863. Now has 480 acres of land lying along the Blue River. Mr. R. was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1820, and emigrated to this country in 1856, settling in Hancock County, Ill., where he followed farming. Was married in Somersetshire, England, in 1852, to Miss Mary Greene. They have seven children--Charles, Frances, Anna, Sarah, Edgar, Hattie and Sidney.
JOHN SCHEVE, P. O. Caldwell, farmer and stock-raiser, was born near Hanover, Germany, in 1842, coming to America in 1865, and settled in Iowa, in Bremer County, where he was engaged in farming until 1868, when he came to Nebraska and settled in Gage County, and took a homestead of 160 acres on Cub Creek on Section 22, Town 4, Range 5, and has been buying land since, until he has 800 acres in one body on Sections 22-27--Cub Creek running through his farm and making a desirable stock farm. Mr. S. has been extensively engaged in raising and shipping stock; commencing in 1881 he bought and shipped forty cars of hogs and eighteen cars of cattle, having raised quite a large share of the stock he shipped. He also keeps from twenty to thirty milk cows, and belongs to the cheese factory near Beatrice. He has been School Director in his district ever since he has been here. In 1875 was elected Assessor of Blakeley Precinct, which he held for seven years. Was married in 1866, to Miss Mary Myer, in Maxfield, Bremer Co., Iowa. They have two children--Anna, born in 1869, and Henry, born in 1873. Mr. S. is a member of the Lutheran Church.
H. M. WICKHAM, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. De Witt, northwest quarter Section 3, Town 4, Range 5 east, came to Nebraska in 1859 and located on Bear Creek, Gage County, and in 1865 located on the above named Section; in 1861, went across the plains; in 1864-65, served in the Territorial Militia in the campaign against the Indians; was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1832, but was raised in Missouri; in 1856, went to Iowa; was married in May, 1859, near Beatrice, to Miss Elvina Young, they being the first couple married in Gage County, the ceremony being performed by Nathan Blakely, then Probate Judge. Elvina Y. Wickham died August 7, 1860. He was again married in 1868, to Mrs. I. M. Bebee, who was the mother of his two children, Clarissa M. and Frank P. Wickham. His second wife died September 20, 1873. He belongs to the Old Settlers' Society of Gage County. He served as County Commissioner for nine years in succession, going out of office in 1876.
JOHN BARRALT, farmer, Section 29, Town 5, Range 5, P. O. De Witt, came to Nebraska in 1858, and settled on Turkey Creek in Saline County, near the present site of Pleasant Hill, but the next year squatted on his present location. Was at Little Blue Station, when the Indians made their raid on the settlers in 1862, and subsequently enlisted in Company F, Second Nebraska Cavalry, and was on duty at various points on the Frontier until 1864, meeting the Indians in battle but once at Oak Grove, Dak. Was born in England in 1837, and emigrated to America in 1856, settling in Ohio, thence to Wisconsin. Was married in 1867, to Miss Anna Wheeler, of Saline County, Nebraska. They have four children--William, Ella, Robert and George. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Society of Gage County, also of De Witt Post, G. A. R.
CHARLES BUSS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, Town 5, Range 5, P. O. De Witt; he now has 520 acres lying in one body. During the Indian raid in 1862, he enlisted in the militia, and served five months on the frontier. In 1864, a great prairie fire swept over this section, destroying Mr. B.'s entire crop and badly damaging his timber, entailing on him a very severe loss. Mr. B. was born in Kent, England, in 1828, and emigrated to America in 1848, settling in Chautauqua County, N. Y. In 1852, moved to Grant County, Wis. Was married in 1858 in Grant County, Wis., to Miss Mary Miles, who was born in Madison County, Ind. They have seven children--Frank, Helen, George, Mary, Charles, Jesse and Hattie. Mr. Buss holds the first tax receipt issued in Gage County, he being the first to pay taxes. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Gage County.
JOSEPH ELLIS, farmer, in Grant Precinct, Gage County, Neb.; runs a farm of 2,000 acres of land. He is the largest Short-Horn breeder in the county. He keeps from 250 to 500 head of cattle and about the same number of hogs. He is a large shipper, shipping upward of one hundred car loads of cattle and hogs each year. His farm is all in Gage County. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in April, 1844, and was married in Woodford County, Ill., August 6, 1866, to Margaret Miller, a native of Ohio. They have four children--Emery S., Frank O., Harry O. and Laura E.
A. F. W. FULLER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. De Witt, homesteaded on Section 4, Range 5, Town 5, in 1871, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in 1830, and was raised in that State, living there until he came to this State. Was married at Plainfield, N. Y., in February, 1855, to Miss Harriet L. Hackley. They have four children--Mary E., A. Waitstill, Martha A. and Nella B. In 1874 (grasshopper year) Mr. F. was one of the committee appointed by the State Grange to superintend the distribution of supplies to the sufferers. In 1873, was Assessor of Clatonia Precinct. Is a member of Blue River Lodge, No. 323, I. O. G. T. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace for five terms.
WILLIAM GAST, farmer and sheep-raiser, Section 21, Town 5, Range 5 east, Grant Precinct, came to Nebraska in 1872, and owns 640 acres of land. In 1876, started with 300 sheep and increased the flock to 1,175 and now has 500 head. The increase in flock has averaged sixty per cent. Average yield of wool has been nine pounds. Mr. G. was born in Pennsylvania in 1833, and in 1851 moved to Scott County, Iowa, and followed stock-raising and farming. Was married, in 1858, to Miss S. A. Moyer, of Marion County, Ohio. They had five children--Carrie, Rozella, Lois, Calvin and Grace. Calvin died August, 1880. Carrie was married to the Rev. Mr. Hancock in 1879. Mr. G. is a member of the State Wool Growers' Association.
GEORGE W. GASTON, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, came to the State in 1869, and homesteaded on Section 2, Town 5, Range 5, and now owns 240 acres. Was born in Northampton County, Penn., February 22, 1830, and was raised in that State. In 1845, went to Paulding County, Ohio, where he followed farming. In May, 1864, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio Infantry, and served in the army of the Potomac at Petersburg. Was struck below the right knee by a piece of shell, making a severe wound, causing, at the present time, considerable pain. Was mustered out at Camp Chase, Ohio, as Orderly Sergeant, in 1865. Was married in Ohio, July 4, 1854, to Miss Susie Brown, who died in 1867, leaving two children--Marion W. and Joseph H. Mr. G. was married again, in Illinois, September 8, 1867, to Miss Rebecca Tronsoe. In 1867, moved to Marshall County, Ohio, where he lived until he removed to this State. Mr. G. has been Treasurer of Grant Precinct for the past nine years, and has been School Treasurer of the same precinct.
JAMES KINZIE, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, was born in West Virginia in 1816, going to Michigan in 1820, with his parents, locating in St. Joseph County, where they remained until 1830, when he went to Elkhart County, Ind., remaining there until 1847, when he went to Iowa, County, Wis., where he remained until 1854, and in company with his uncle, James Kinzie, built two grist-mills and was engaged in milling while there. He then went to Indiana and was engaged in farming until 1861, when he again went West and located in Gage County, Neb., and located on 160 acres of land on Section 17 and 18, Town 5, Range 5. Took his place as a homestead, and has since added to it until he has 400 acres lying in Clatonia Creek, with 240 acres under cultivation. Mr. Kinzie was one of the early settlers of this part of the county, and for a number of years had to go to Nebraska City for supplies. Mr. Kinzie was married in 1847 to Miss Lydia E. Hatch, of La Grange Center, La Grange Co., Ind. They have eleven children--Mary, William A., John D., L. J., Sally A., Maria, Alice, Emma, Clara Belle, James E. and William E. Mr. Kinzie is a grandson of John Kinzie, the first settler of Chicago.
H. M. LULL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. DeWitt, came to Nebraska in 1858, and settled at Brownville. In 1861, enlisted in Company C, First Nebraska Infantry, but shortly afterward taken with typhoid pneumonia, and being unfit for duty was discharged, when he went to Colorado, and then removed to Wisconsin, where, in October, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry, and joined the regiment at Vicksburg, Miss. Was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and was discharged at Louisville, Ky., in 1865, when he returned to Gage County and took up a homestead on Dry Creek. Was born in 1834 in Otsego County, N. Y., and was raised in that State. In 1851, went to California, and followed mining until 1856, when he went to Grant County, Wis. Was married, in 1857, in Grant County, Wis., to Miss Maria Sargeant. They have little children--Charles, Nannie, William, Andrew, Albert, Lewis, Lillie, Edward and Sybil. Is a member of DeWitt Post, G. A. R.
ROBERT NICHOLS, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, was born in England, in 1835, coming to America in 1853, and located in Ohio. Thence to Illinois, locating in Hancock County, and was engaged in farming until 1860, when he came to Nebraska, and entered 160 acres of land in Grant Precinct, Gage County, where he has remained since. At the time of his settling, they brought their families in the precinct, and the nearest market was Nebraska City. He was one of the first voters in his town and is about the only voter left who was there when he settled. Mr. N. is raising stock, having from fifty to one hundred head, and raises a good many hogs and horses. In 1864, he added forty acres, and, in 1870, 120 acres to his farm; now has 320 acres. Is one of the representative farmers of his town. Has been to the County Convention as delegate, and is an active member of the School Board of his district. He has held numerous town offices. Was married, in the spring of 1860, to Miss Mary Plucknett. They have been blessed with five children--Frank F., born in 1861; Alfretta, 1864; Jessie Ann, 1877; George W., 1870; Lizzie, 1875; Norton B., 1862; died, 1866. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Society of Beatrice.
JAMES PLUCKNETT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, Town 5, Range 5 east, P. O. DeWitt, came to Nebraska in 1861 and homesteaded on above-named section, and now owns 360 acres, lying in one body on Turkey Creek. Was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1836, and emigrated to America in 1856, settling in Ohio. Then to Hancock County, Ill., and in 1859 to Shelby County, Iowa. In 1862, enlisted in Company F, Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served in the Indian campaign. This command met the Indians at Whitestone Hill, Dak., and had short fight. Was married, in 1871, in Saline County, Neb., to Miss Mary Sumners, and have five children--Elizabeth E., Frances, Gussie, Clarence and William.
WILLIAM PLUCKNETT, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Somersetshire, England in 1827, remaining there until 1852, when he came to America and settled in Ohio, remaining four years; then went to England, acting as guide. He brought forty persons safely to America, all from Somersetshire. He then returned to Ohio, and was taken sick with the ship fever, from which he came very near dying. When he got well, he went to Sauk County, Wis., and worked in the pineries one winter. From there he went to Hancock County, Ill., and remained there about two years. While staying here, in 1857, was married to Miss Caroline Howlett, and then moved to Shelby County, Iowa. After staying there for about two years, he moved to Nebraska and settled in Gage County, in 1861, on 160 acres of Government land, in Section 33, Town 5, Range 5, on the Blue River. At the time of settling, there were but a few families in the county, and they had to go to the Missouri River for supplies. In 1864, the Sioux Indians made their raid, and succeeded in driving all the settlers, with the exception of about half a dozen men, out of the country. So complete was the stampede that but a few returned. At present Mr. P. has 1,200 acres of land, with plenty of timber and water, all in one body. Is engaged in stock-raising and farming combined, farming about three hundred and fifty acres of land, and raising from one hundred to two hundred and fifty hogs, and feeding and shipping about three hundred head of cattle each year. He has never held any office in the county, as his business would not admit of it. He had enough to attend to at home. Mr. and Mrs. P. have seven children--John W., Jane E., Emma E., George A., Robert, Herbert and Mary A. All are members of the Episcopal Church.
DAVID RICKARD, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, Section 2, Town 5, Range 5, homesteaded on this section in 1870, and now has 240 acres. Was born in Somerset County, Penn., in 1819, and was raised in that State. In 1866, went to Wayne County, Ohio. In 1863, during Morgan's raid through Ohio, enlisted in militia battalion, and served six months. In 1864, enlisted in Company E, Two Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Infantry, and joined the regiment in Virginia. Was at Petersburg, and was mustered out as Second Sergeant in 1865, then returned to Ohio. Was married in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1845, to Miss Catherine Harman, who died September 21, 1881. Their children are--Orren, William H., Sarah O., Della, David H., John S., Lucius C., Mary Z. and George G. Mr. Rickard has been Moderator of the School Board of this district for the past six years.
JOHN L. RHODES, farmer and stock-raiser, southeast quarter of Section 36, Town, 4, Range 5 east, came to Nebraska in 1872, and engaged in teaching school, and located on the above-named section in 1879. From 1876 to 1878, he was Principal of the Beatrice Schools, and, in 1879, was Principal of the Ashland (Neb.) Schools. Was born in Rockingham County, Va., in 1842, and was raised in that State. In 1864, he went to Ohio; thence to Indiana, and then to Iowa, where he taught school, and, in 1871, was Principal of the school at South English, Iowa. Was married in 1871, to Miss Belle I. Willson, of Iowa County, Iowa. They have three children--Lois, Porter C. and Arthur A.
JOHN A. VAN CLEEF, farmer, Section 18, P. O. DeWitt, Saline County, came to this State with his father, William Van Cleef, when but seventeen years old, and is one of the pioneers of Grant Precinct, and engaged in hunting, trapping and freighting. He acted as a scout during the Indian raid of 1864. Was married, in June, 1861, to Miss Cynthia A. Farrens of Grant Precinct. They have four children--John W., Andrew J., Hester M. and Nora C.
JOHN O. SAVAGE, farmer, P. O. DeWitt, homesteaded on Section 11, Town 5, Range 5, in 1868, and now owns 320 acres. Was born in Sullivan County Precinct in 1834, and was raised in that State. In 1858, moved to Lee County, Ill., where he engaged in farming. In 1861, enlisted in Company E, Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was in the engagements at Warrensburg, Mo., Pea Ridge, Ark., and Prairie Grove, Mo., and on account of sickness, which unfitted him for duty, he was discharged in 1863. He returned to Illinois, where he remained until his removal to this State. Was married, in Lee County, Ill., in 1867, to Miss Cynthia Carpenter; they have one child, Frank. Is a member of Curtis Post, Grand Army Republic, DeWitt. Mr. Savage and his father, Daniel Savage, enlisted in the same company, and in the engagement at Prairie Grove, Mo., while fighting side by side, the father was killed.
WILLIAM PICKRELL, P. O., Beatrice, was born at Mechanicsburg, Sangamon Co., Ill., in 1851, where he, in company with his brother, was engaged in breeding Short-Horn cattle; came to Nebraska in 1878, and with brother is engaged in sheep-raising. Watson Pickrell came to Nebraska in 1878, and with his brother, engaged in sheep-raising. Was born in Mechanicsburg, Ill., in 1853, and was engaged in breeding Short-Horn cattle. W. & W. Pickrell, sheep-raisers, Section 24, Town 5, Range 6 east, Holt Precinct, came to Nebraska in 1878 with 1,000 sheep, and now have 2,200 American Merinos. Their average per cent has been 40 per cent, average yield of wool per head, nine pounds. They own eighty acres of land and have 1,200 acres leased for pasturage.
P. J. MYERS, stock dealer and raiser, on Sections 27, 28 and 33, Town 5, Range 6, Holt Precinct, and Sections 20 and 21, Town 4, Range 6, Beatrice Precinct, was born in Germany in 1835, his parents emigrating to Albany, N. Y., in 1836. In 1840, they removed to Kenosha County, Wis., where he lived until his removal to this State in 1879. Was married to Miss Mary Beilen, of Kenosha, in 1859. Married again to Miss Ann Slater, of Racine Co., Wis., in 1864. Has six children, three by first wife and three by second. In 1869, he moved to this State, where he remained two years engaged in stock-raising, after which he spent two years in traveling through the Western States and Territories. In 1873, he settled in this State, locating at his present place of residence. He began with 300 head of sheep, now has 1,700 head, besides other stock. Average increase of flock, 60 per cent; average weight of fleece, ten pounds.
J. B. SLATER, farmer and stock-raiser, on Secs. 28 and 33, Town 5, Range 6, Holt Precinct, and Sec. 21, Beatrice Precinct, was born in Yorkshire, Eng., in 1847. His parents emigrated to Racine County, Wis., in 1849, where Mr. Slater lived until 1869, when he removed to this State, locating on Cub Creek, Jefferson County. In 1872, he left this State and traveled for two years through the Western States and Territories. In 1874, he again settled in this State, locating at his present residence. He began with 800 sheep, now has 1,200 head, besides other stock. Average increase of sheep, 60 per cent; average clip of wool, ten pounds.
A. B. McNICKLE, Postmaster, Silver, was born in Pennsylvania in 1842, where he lived until seventeen years old, when he went to Illinois, where he remained until the breaking-out of the war of the rebellion, when, in 1862, he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Infantry. Was in twenty battles and a number of skirmishes, and in front of Atlanta, Ga. During a charge on the enemy's breastworks, was wounded in the right leg. Was discharged in 1865, and returned to Illinois. Then went to Northern Missouri, where he remained until 1869, when he moved to Kansas, thence to Nebraska, in 1874, locating at Silver, Gage County. Was married, in Illinois, in 1866, to Miss Rhoda E. Balderson. They have four children--Mary L., Nancy A., Edith R. and Harry A. Mr. McNickle was appointed Postmaster at this office in 1879, now serving his third term as Justice of the Peace. Is a member of Highland Lodge, I. O. G. T. Members of the Congregational Church.
WILLIAM L. OZMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Silver; took a homestead in Highland Precinct of 160 acres on Section 6, in Township 6 north, of Range 6 east, in 1871. Was one of the earliest settlers, coming here when the Indians, deer and antelope roved the prairies. Born in Lansing, Tompkins Co., N. Y., in 1837. At eighteen years of age, commenced to learn the harness and saddler's trade. In 1862, enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Ninth New York Volunteers, and was at the battle of the Wilderness, and shortly after was taken sick, which disabled him for service until January, 1865, when he reported to the regiment for duty. He participated in the great battle of Petersburg, Va., April 2, 1865. He, with nearly the whole army, was discharged at Washington, D. C., the following June, on account of war closing. Returning to his native State, he engaged in the harness business at Ithaca, N. Y. In 1866, sold out and went to Wheatland, Vernon Co., Wis., where he was married to Miss Mary A. Phillips, who was a native of England. They have six children--Elizabeth Etta, Edmund Grant, Agnes Nevada, Mary Ella, Roscoe Conkling and Alfred Blain. On the occasion of the Old Soldiers' Re-union at the Centennial Celebration in Beatrice, on July 4, 1876, Mr. Ozman was chosen to deliver the address, which, as the press states, "was one of the principal features of that anniversary, and at its close vociferously cheered." This oration was published in full by Beatrice papers. Since the Grange started, he has taken an active part in that and the Farmers' Alliance movement, and is now a member of the Finance Committee of the State Alliance. Is charter member of Highland Star Lodge, I. O. G. T. Has taught eleven terms of school in this and Lancaster County. Mrs. Ozman was the first woman who lived on a homestead in this precinct. They have two acres of orchard and eight acres of forest trees planted by themselves, from which they have had all necessary fuel for three years. They assisted in organizing the first Sunday school in this precinct.
HON. HENRY H. SILVER, farmer and blacksmith, P. O. Silver, homesteaded on Section 6, Town 6, Range 6, in 1874; was born at Bedford, Carroll Co., Ohio, in 1839. He was raised on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he went to Columbiana to learn the machinist's trade, where he remained one year; returned to the farm, where he remained working and attending school until twenty-one years old; then went to Jennings County, Ind., where he carried on general blacksmithing, but shortly afterward went to Mount Vernon, Ind., and became foreman of the iron department of a cotton and hay press manufactory. In 1861, at the first call, enlisted in Company G, Sixth Indiana Infantry, and served six months; then took charge of the Government Machine Shops at Grafton, W. Va., as master mechanic; then went to Kentucky in a similar capacity until 1864, when he leased a cotton plantation near Huntsville, Ala., but, owing to a combination of circumstances, lost his crop, time and money; then went to manufacturing firearms. In 1868, returned to Ohio, and worked at his trade until 1871, when he came to Omaha, Neb., remaining there but a short time when he went to Nebraska City and worked in the Reed Plow Factory, where he remained until he took his homestead in 1873. At this time, he had $1 in cash and a kit of blacksmith tools. He has worked at his trade, and improved his land, and added to his homestead until he now owns 400 acres of land. In January, 1874, was married at Beatrice, Neb., to Miss Sarah Uplinger, daughter of Jacob Uplinger, of DeKalb County, Ill. They have four children--John B., Clara L., Lester and James A. G. In 1879, Mr. S. was elected to fill a vacancy, and in 1881 was re-elected a member of the Legislature from the county. Has held the office of Postmaster from 1875 to 1879. Is a member of Blue Valley Lodge, No. 64, A., F. & A. M., Wilber, Neb., and of Highland Star Lodge, I. O. G. T.
HENRY ALBERT, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Clatonia, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1842, coming to America in 1856, and located in Scioto County, Ohio, and was engaged in the iron works. In 1861, enlisted in the Second United States Regular Artillery, serving until 1864, when he was discharged at Lighthouse Point, Va. Was in thirty-eight battles, being one of the three out of twenty-five who went out together. He then returned to Ohio, remaining there until 1865, when he came to Nebraska City, and in 1866 took a homestead on Section 22, Town 6, Range 5. Has remained in the same place, and now has 720 acres. In 1876, was elected County Commissioner, and is serving his second term; has been Assessor of his precinct twice. In 1865, was married to Miss Emma Steinmeyer, at Portsmouth, Ohio. They have seven children--Anna, Ella, John, Franklin, Minnie, Augusta and Benjamin C. They are members of German Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. H. STEINMEYER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Wilber, was born in Germany, in 1853, and came with his parents to America in 1856. Settled in Scioto County, Ohio, where they remained until 1866, when they came to Nebraska and located in Gage County, and took a homestead in Section 22, Town 6, Range 5. He afterward bought the homestead, and has added more land until he has 400 acres, and raises considerable stock; has fifty head of cattle, eighty head of hogs and a good many horses. Was United States Census Taker of Clatonia Precinct for 1880. In 1878 and 1880, was Assessor of his precinct. Was married in 1875 to Miss Sarah E. Unland, of Olive Branch Precinct, Lancaster Co., Neb. They have three children--Emma, George, Nettie. Mr. S. is a member of the German Methodist Episcopal Church.
H. L. HOSSACK, stock-raiser, Nemaha Precinct, Gage County, was born in Will County, Ill., in 1842, remaining until eight years of age, when he went to LaSalle County, and when old enough to go into business engaged in the grain trade at Ottawa, remaining there until 1881, with the exception of 1870 and 1871, when he went to Livingston County, and was engaged in feeding stock. In 1864, enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as Captain, serving six months. Was stationed the most of the time at Fort Leavenworth and Topeka, Kan. He then returned to La Salle County, and in March, 1881, emigrated to Nebraska, and leased some land and commenced stock-raising in June, 1881. Bought three sections of land in a body--Sections 17, 18 and 19, Town 6, Range 7, and commenced making improvements. Has fenced two sections in one body for pasture. A small creek is running through his place, which he placed a dam across, making a pond or reservoir, covering five acres, the water being about 212 feet deep in the center. He had placed pipes from this pond under ground to his yard, where he put in suitable tanks and thus furnished his stock with abundance of pure running water. He has large yards which lay high, sloping to the south, covering ten acres. He has commodious sheds in these yards, with scales and all necessary arrangements for taking care of stock. He has eight head of thoroughbred Short-Horn and forty head of grade and about four hundred head of cattle which he expects to increase to six hundred head by the fall of 1882. He is raising about three hundred head of hogs per year, and will ship his stock, buying and feeding considerable aside from what he raises. Has shipped this spring 380 hogs and six cars of cattle. Has planted ten acres of timber this spring, mostly Russian mulberry and walnut, and has laid out to put in forty acres more in the spring of 1883. Mr. H. is sparing no pains or money to make this one of the model stock farms of Nebraska. Has made arrangements to stock his pond with fish, and will call his place Sunnyside Stock Farm. Was married in 1866 to Miss Medora Tuttle, of Brookfield, La Salle County, Ill. They have three children--Emma, Belle and Harry. Mr. and Mrs. Hossack are members of the First Congregational Church of Lincoln, Neb.