|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
|PART 1:||Location and Natural Features | Map and Population | Early History | War History and Indian Troubles|
|PART 2:||County Organization and Official Roster | Schools and Railroads | Statistics|
|PART 3:||Clay Centre|
|PART 4:||Biographical Sketches (Allaway - Higinbotham)|
|PART 5:||Biographical Sketches (Iams - Pinkerton)|
|PART 6:||Biographical Sketches (Ristine - Woods)|
|PART 7:||Clifton | Morganville | Republican City | Wakefield | Industry|
LOCATION AND NATURAL FEATURES.
Clay County is situated in the second tier of counties south of the State of Nebraska, about one hundred miles west of the Missouri River, and lies on the east side of the sixth principal meridian. It is bounded on the north by Washington, on the east by Riley and Davis counties, on the south by Dickinson, and on the west by Ottawa and Cloud counties, between which extends the sixth principal meridian. It lies wholly within the valley of the Republican River, which enters at the northwest corner, and flows southeast through the center of the county, one-half of which consists of first and second bottom lands. It is, therefore, destined to be one of the richest agricultural counties in the State.
The valley land, which is about sixty percent of the county, is exceedingly rich. The soil a rich, black loam and bottom deposit is from four to ten feet in depth. The drainage of most of this land is good, the soil being porous, with a gradual slope towards the river whose bed is sufficiently deep to prevent extensive overflows. The soil is not so well adapted to the growth of wheat as that of the Smoky Hill and Solomon valleys, but produces a good quality with a fair yield, but is admirably adapted to all other grains. The hills skirting the valley are generally low and rounded, in a few places broken. The upland prairie is beautifully undulating, and only in a few places too broken, to be easily tilled. The soil of the uplands is not so fertile as that of the valley, principally because it is not so deep, averaging a depth of perhaps two and a half feet. Yet it is rich, exceedingly friable, well adapted to general farming, and excellent for grazing; producing the native grasses in great abundance.
The county is well watered, every part having streams of running water. The central portion, from the northwest to the southeast corner is watered by the devious windings of the great Republican River, a difficult and treacherous stream to dam, but furnishing, when properly dammed, immense water power throughout the year. The river is broad and shallow, but there are but few places where it can be forded, on account of the quicksand bottom, which is constantly shifting and changing the water channel. Tributary to the Republican, from the north, are Peach, Huntress, Deep and Mall creeks, and from the west Five Creeks Creek, the last being the largest. The northeast corner of the county is watered by Fancy Creek, and the southwest part by Chapman, the largest creek in the county and a tributary of the Smoky Hill River.
POPULATION BY FEDERAL CENSUS --------------------------------------------------- 1870 1880 (a) Athelstane Township............... ---- 460 (b) Bloom Township.................... ---- 762 (c) Chapman Township.................. ---- 416 (d) Clay Centre Township, including Clay Centre City 1,134 2,852 (e) Exeter Township................... ---- 477 (f) Five Creeks Township.............. ---- 1,184 (g) Goshen Township................... ---- 965 (h) Grant Township.................... ---- 469 (i) Highland Township................. ---- 622 (j) Mulberry Township................. ---- 911 (k) Oakland Township.................. ---- 555 (l) Republican Township............... 856 1,017 (m) Sherman Township.................. 952 1,114 (n) Union Township.................... ---- 516 --------------------------------------------------- Total............. 2,942 12,320 --------------------------------------------------- Clay Centre City...................... ---- 1,753 --------------------------------------------------- a) Organized in 1877, from part of Republican. b) Organized in 1875, from parts of Clay, Centre and Sherman. c) Organized in 1873, from part of Republican. d) In 1872, parts detached to form Five Creeks and Grant; in 1873, part to Highland; in 1875, part to Bloom. e) Organized in 1874 from part of Republican. f) Organized in 1872, from part of Clay Centre. g) Organized in 1871, from part of Sherman. h) Organized in 1872, from part of Clay Centre. i) Organized in 1873, from parts of Clay Centre and Sherman. j) Organized in 1871, from part of Sherman. k) Organized in 1876, from part of Republican. l) In 1873, part detached to form Chapman; in 1874, parts to Exeter and Union; in 1876, part to Oakland; in 1877, part to Athelstane. m) In 1871, parts detached to form Goshen and Mulberry; in 1873, part to Highland; in 1875, part to Bloom. n) Organized in 1874, from part of Republican. ---------------------------------------------------
In 1865, Dexter Brothers started the first steam saw and flouring mill, and in 1876, on the 4th of July, started the first water wheel. Jim Gilbert opened, at Wakefield, in 1859, the first blacksmith-shop.
October 26, 1869, the first term of the District Court was opened at Clay Centre, with James Humphrey as Judge; Philip Rothman as Sheriff, and Orville Huntress as Clerk. The first civil case was that of Joseph N. Hagaman vs. Clay County Commissioners. The case was dismissed. The first criminal case was the indictment of William Harman for the murder of Joseph N. Hagaman. It was continued from time to time and never came to trial. It was generally believe that the deed was committed in self-defense.
In April, 1856, Moses, William and Jerome Younkens and John P. King, settled near the mouth of Timber Creek. They were the first white men to permanently locate within the present limits of Clay County, and it is pleasing to add that all except Moses have continued to make this locality their home. Shortly after them came J. B. Quimby and William E. Payne, and took up claims on the west side of the river, south of Wakefield. Lorenzo Gates and John Gill settled near Deep Creek in the fall of 1857. At the same time William Mall took the claim where his brother Jacob now lives, but remained only two years, returning to the East. In 1857 Peter Dobbins took a claim at the mouth of Pete's Creek, which event gave a name to the creek that before had only a "local habitation." He soon went to Texas, but returning found that he had forfeited his right, and that the claim was in possession of William Silvers, who still occupies the farm. During the two succeeding years, a large number of settlers came into this neighborhood.
The drouth (sic) of 1860 quite completely stopped emigration until after the war, when after five or six bountiful harvests the settlers came in plentifully, and the county commenced a new era of progress, which with the exception of 1875 has been rapid and substantial.
As stated, the first settlers of Clay were Moses, William and Jeremiah Younkens and John P. King, who came together from Pennsylvania, and settled in the county in April, 1856. Mrs. Moses Younkens was the first white woman and Mrs. J. B. Quimby the next.
The first marriage occurred the 18th of December, 1859, and the contracting parties were Lorenzo Gates, the first Postmaster on Mall Creek, and Miss Lucinda Gill. Mrs. Gates still lives on the old place. George H. Purington and Miss Helen A. M. Morse were married May 6, 1860. In the winter of 1868-9, John Cain and Miss Alice Arnold were married by J. B. McLaughlin, Justice of the Peace, who stood on the opposite bank of the Republican from the contracting parties.
September 21, 1860, John A., son of A. Van Nosten died, being the first death among the settlers. It is stated that one or two of the Government Surveyors died while at work in the county. A Mr. Simons settled, in 1861, on the claim afterwards taken by Orville Huntress. Several of his family, consisting of seven persons beside himself, died, and he returned East.
The first schoolhouse was built of logs in 1864. It was on Government land, and when nearly completed, Samuel Allen went to Junction City and filed on the land. A log cabin was then bought of F. Kuhnle, in which Mrs. Lack taught the first school in 1865. The first sermon was preached in the county was delivered in 1863, by Rev. R. P. West of the Methodist denomination. The Baptists were the first to organize. Dr. J. W. Shepperd came in 1862, and was the first physician in the county.
The first mail route on the east side of the river was established in 1862, between Manhattan and Clifton; on the west side in 1868, between Junction City and Concordia, Cloud County. The first daily mails were established when the first railroad passed through the county--1873.
In 1861, Orville Huntress brought a stock of goods and opened the first store. He also opened about the same time the first hotel where the military road crosses Huntress Creek. H. N. Dawson, in 1865, started the first saw-mill in the county. It was on Timber Creek, and run with horse power.
WAR HISTORY AND INDIAN TROUBLES.
Though an unorganized county, and with but few inhabitants, none of whom could have been compelled to enter the service, Clay County has a war history of which she is justly proud. At the commencement of the war, there were only forty-three voters in the county, and forty-seven men enlisted in the Union army, a large number of whom returned to their new State after the war was over. In 1860, there were eleven families in the Quimby neighborhood, but in 1863, J. B. Quimby and Ed. Kerby were the only men there, and John Butler, Lorenzo Gates and Jacob Mall were the only men on Mall Creek.
The first settlers found the county in possession of the Kaw Indians, who were comparatively peaceful and harmless people. The Indians never committed depredations as in Ottawa, Cloud, Republic and Jewell counties, but the settlers were a number of times so scared by reports from those counties that they fled, still farther from danger.
The war between the Pawnee and Delaware tribes, in the Smoky Hill valley, in 1857, scared the settlers, who fled to Riley County, but returned as soon as assured the war would not extend into their territory.
In August 1864, the great Indian raid on the Little Blue, in Nebraska, which was one of the most thoroughly planned, skillfully executed and disastrous raids in the history of the western States, frightened the settlers of Ottawa, Cloud and Clay counties from their homes. Two hundred persons collected at Mr. Huntress' cabin, near the present site of Clay Center, and remained in camp for a month. Many returned to their claims, but some sought new homes, removed from such disturbances. The raid was confined to the Little Blue or old California trail, from Gage County, Neb., to Denver, Col. The militia was called out and sent toward Fort Harker, but found no Indians. Went to White Rock with same result. The valley of the White Rock suffered more by Indian incursions than any portion of northern Kansas; it being their favorite hunting ground.
In 1868, the settlers again collected at Clay Center, owing to Indian depredations in Cloud, Republic and Jewell counties. The militia was called out, the Indians captured and returned to their reservation. W. H. Fletcher, the County Clerk, was away with the militia, and Mrs. Huntress fearing that they might be suddenly driven away, placed the county records in a valise and hid it in a hollow tree. The records were most thoroughly soaked by a thunder storm the first night. John W. Haynes was the only citizen of Clay County killed by the Indians, and he was not killed in the county. With five others, he was hunting in Jewell, Mitchell and Cloud counties, when the party was attacked by savages. They retreated, fighting their way toward the settlements, but were all killed on Little Cheyenne, in Cloud County, May 20, 1866. An extended account of their fruitless struggle for life can be found in Cloud County history.
In 1869-70-71, large numbers of English colonists settled in the southern part of the county, and by their intelligence and industry have done much to beautify that portion of the county and have established for themselves permanent and prosperous homes in a free country