|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALLAWAY - HIGINBOTHAM).
WILLIAM ALLAWAY, carpenter, was born in Berkshire, England, January 7, 1837. Became architect and builder, was four years at Aldershott, in the Army Depot, in the Civil Engineer Department. In 1870 he came to America and settled at Junction City. Built and kept the Wakefield House. In 1872 purchased a farm in Clay County. Moved there on and worked at his business, and farming also. In 1880 moved to Clay Center. He has built some of the best buildings in the county, notably the high school building, Wakefield Congregational Church, etc. He was married December 24, 1860, in London, to Miss Anna Waterman. They brought with them five children, one of whom died in Junction City, and a sixth was born at same place. Elizabeth A., born September 11, 1861; Susannah, born July 2, 1863; Anna, born July 4, 1865; Edith, born June 2, 1867; William H., born March 17, 1870; Sarah Amy, born April 9, 1873.
JACOB AUGUST, merchant, was born in Prussia, July 11, 1823. Received an academic education, and in 1840 came to America. He located in New York, and was a traveling salesman for two years. Then he went into trade on his own account, at Warrenton, N. C., having a general stock of merchandise. At the age of twenty-one, he had stock, valued at more than $60,000. In 1859 he removed to New York City, where he was in business until 1879, when he came to Kansas, settling in Clay Centre. He occupies a large double store, each room being 24x70 feet. He carries an immense stock of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and furnishing goods of all kinds for gentlemen and ladies. His store is known as August's Red Store, and does an immense trade. He is a member of the Masonic order. September 25, 1855, he was married, in the city of New York to Miss Eppstein. They are parents to eight children, five splendid boys and three beautiful girls.
R. C. BAGBY, life insurance agent, was born in Yadkin County, N. C., November 5, 1847. He attended an academy in Jonesville, N. C. In 1869 he went to Iowa where he lived a year in Poweshiek and Jasper counties, and then returned to his native county. In 1871 he came West and was a student in the Normal School, at Kirksville, Mo., until 1872, when he came to Kansas, locating a homestead fourteen miles west of Clay Centre, Clay County. In 1877 he sold his farm and moved to Concordia, Cloud County, where he was in the photograph business until 1878, when he removed to Clay Centre, working at the same business until December 1881, when he sold out his studio and entered upon his present business. He represents several strong companies, and is doing a good business. He was married in Clay County, Mo., March 4, 1873, to Miss Josephine Spencer. They have two children -- Nannie Luzetta, born March 20, 1874, Robert A., born July 15, 1882.
C. R. BARNES, miller, was born at Lowell, Mass., May 25, 1827, and was educated in the grammar schools of his native city. In 1852 he came into the western country, locating in Hebron, Wis., in the milling business and has been in the business ever since. In 1859 he removed to Manhattan, Kan., and built the Manhattan Mills, the eighth flour-mill in the State, and the first west of Topeka. In 1874 located at Clay Centre and built the Quaker City Mills, and in 1880 changed it to a gradual reduction mill, using both burrs and rolls; has a capacity of 110 barrels of flour per day, and runs up to its full capacity. Ships his product to Louisiana, Texas, California, and the whole South and West. Mr. Barnes is the real inventor of the brush machine for cleaning wheat. He was married January 1, 1852, at Lawrence, Mass., to Miss Esther L. Gower. Mrs. Barnes died in 1862, and Mr. Barnes was again married December 12, 1866, to Miss Ellen E. Knapp, of Manhattan, Kan. He has four children--Evangeline, born October 23, 1868; Adelbert B., born July 16, 1870; Neva Estelle, born January 1, 1878; and Walter K, born November 4, 1879.
THOMAS BLACKWOOD, M. D., was born in Lawrence County, Pa., April 22, 1848. When a child his parents removed to Harrison County, Ohio. He was educated at Muskingum College, New Concord, Ohio, graduating in the class of 1868. Studied medicine graduating from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in the class of 1874. He was resident physician of Charity Hospital, Philadelphia, for a year and a half. In the fall of 1875 he came to Clay Centre, and has been in practice here since. He was married May 28, 1877, in Beaver County, Pa., to Miss Belle Waterson. They have two children.
ARNOLD BUCHMAN, jeweler, was born in Chicago, Ill., June 29, 1856. He was educated in the public schools of that city. Learned the jeweler and watchmaker's trade with C. F. Heppel & Co. In 1879 he came to Kansas, locating at Stockton, Rooks County, and opened a store. In September, 1880, he moved to Clay Centre, where he still carries on his store. Has a large and complete stock of watches, clocks, silverware, and general stock of handsome and stylish jewelry. He is unmarried.
S. P. BURNELL, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, was born in Bridgeton, Cumberland County, Maine, February 5, 1813. Enlisted June 21, 1862, in Company F., Sixteenth Maine Volunteer Infantry. Was discharged March 4, 1865, by reason of disability from a gunshot wound in left leg received before Petersburg, July 21, 1864. After the war he began trade in fancy dry-goods, in Lewiston, Maine. From 1868 to 1878, was traveling salesman in the kid glove trade and was also in the service of the United States as an agent of the Treasury Secret Service. In 1878, he located at Gatesville, Clay County, and has been a farmer since. He was married December 14, 1878, at Gatesville, Kansas, to Mrs. Fidella Dunham. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and G. A. R. Has been a member of the Lewiston City Council.
J. P. CAMPBELL, banker, was born in Lincoln County, Ky., March 13, 1852. Educated at Stanford Seminary, and by a private tutor. In 1871 removed to Eldorado, Kansas, and entered the service of the First National Bank as bookkeeper and assistant cashier. Two years afterward he became the acting cashier of the First National Bank of Wichita. From Wichita he moved to Osage City, and established the Free Press, which he published for more than a year. Sold newspaper and entered dry-goods trade at Neosho Falls. In 1876 he came to Clay Centre, and bought the Dispatch, which he published alone until January 1, 1879, when Mr. Walton became a partner. The next year he sold his interest in the Dispatch, and January 1,1880, began banking with Mr. Myers in Clay Centre. The bank is now an incorporated institution of which Mr. Campbell is president. Was an independent candidate for the Legislature in 1882, and has been member of the City Council. He was married May 18, 1876, to Miss Nellie Hosmer, at Nashville, Ill. They have one child - Ruth, born March 7, 1878.
H. P. CAMPBELL, merchant, was born in Waynesburg, Greene Co., Pa., April 23, 1854. He was educated in Waynesburg College. After leaving college, he went into the bank of B. F. Fleniken & Co., as teller, but in 1873, he began business as a grocer on his own account, both in his native town. In 1875, he sold his grocery business and opened business in tin-roofing, spouting, and lightning-rods. In 1876, he moved to Kansas, and settled at Clay Centre. Clerked for John Higinbotham & Co. for a year and a half; for Wickstrom & Swenson two years; and then for Lavy & Allen. In September, 1880, in partnership with D. G. Smith, again began business for his own account in general merchandise. In June, 1882, Mr. Smith retired, and Mr. Campbell continues the business. He does a good business and is prospering. He was married June 10, 1878, at Clay Centre, Kan., to Miss Mary Smith. They have two children - Libbie, born May 14, 1879, and Frankie, born October 25, 1881.
R. T. CARR, druggist, was born in Rush County, In., February 23, 1847. November 2, 1863, he enlisted in Company M, Twenty-first Indiana Heavy Artillery, and was discharged January 10, 1866. After the war he was a student at Greencastle, Ind., for a year, and then went into the drug trade. He began business on his own account at Martinsville, Ind., and in 1871, removed to Junction City, Kan., and in the following year came to Clay Centre, and has been in trade here since. He was married May 21, 1872, at Junction City, to Miss Ella Harris. Mrs. Carr departed from this life, February 24, 1881. He has two children - Birdie Blanche, born October 18, 1873; and Ella Linnell, born July 3, 1875. Mr. Carr is a member of the I. O. O. F., and was the father and first N. G. of Clay Lodge, No. 115. Also a member of the G. A. R.
F. B. DAWES, attorney, was born in Allen County, Ind., Nov. 14, 1854; was educated at Fort Wayne College. Studied law in the office of M. Van B. Spencer, of Fort Wayne, Ind. He was admitted to practice in 1876, in the Circuit Court of Allen County. In 1877 he came to Clay Centre, and in 1878 began practice with William Higinbotham, the firm being styled Higinbotham & Dawes. He was elected City Attorney in 1881, and still holds the office. He was married November 18, 1875, at Zanesville, Ind., to Miss Olive E. Wilson. They have three children - Leona O., born in 1876; Iona, 1878, and Raymond B., 1881. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
ALONZO DEXTER, miller and stockman, was born in Windsor County, Vt., June 3, 1833. His parents died when he was five years of age, and he went to New Hampshire, living with a married sister, who died when Alonzo was ten years of age. Thereafter he lived sometimes in Lowell, Mass., and sometimes in Vermont, as his guardian directed, until at the age of twenty he went via St. Louis and New Orleans, to Panama and California. He remained there ten years, engaged in mining and farming. In 1862 he came to Clay County purchased land, located present site of his mill, and laid out Clay Center. Returning to California, he disposed of his interests there, and in 1864 returned to Clay Center, where he has since resided. In 1866 built and started his mill, the first in Clay County. For ten years he used steam-power, but in 1876 he dammed the Republican River, and utilized one of the best water-powers in the State. His mill has a capacity of 200 barrels of flour per day. Ships flour, grain and live-stock. He still owns about 200 town lots in the city. Was married in California September 29, 1862, to Miss Emma A. Dunbar. Is now making money, and deserves unbounded success.
ADAM DILLER, farmer, P. O., Clay Centre, was born in Huntington County, Pa., December 22, 1843. At nine years of age he removed with his parents to Henry County, Ill., where he was raised a farmer. He enlisted August 15, 1862, in Company H, of the Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served three years, and took part in several battles, among them Prairie Grove, Vicksburg, Fort Blakely, etc. After the war he returned to Illinois. He took a course of study in Eastman's Business College, Chicago, Ill. He again engaged in farming in Henry County until 1866, when he went to Texas and stayed two years, and again returned to Illinois. In 1870 he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Clay County, in Township 8, Range 3, Section 1. He has a fine farm, and is paying great attention to the development of fruit-raising. He has a fine orchard of bearing apples, and has planted 500 more, besides peaches, plums, apricots, pears, etc.; also an extensive vineyard. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married January 1, 1870, in Henry County, Ill., to Miss Selina F. Whitehead. They have five children - Wilber (sic), born December 14, 1870; Gertrude, March 31, 1872; Rutherford, December 2, 1877; Ruth, December 2, 1877; Roy, July 28, 1879.
W. B. DUDLEY, real estate agent, was born in Lawrence County, Illinois, May 10, 1844. When he was a boy his parents removed to Switzerland County, Ind. He enlisted August 31, 1861, in Company B, Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private. At the battle of Perryville he received a gunshot wound in the head; but recovering, he again took the field, and at Chickamauga he was again wounded, in the right leg, and was captured by the enemy. He was confined in Rebel prisons for the period of four months, when he was exchanged. October 10, 1864, he was mustered out of service, his term of enlistment having expired. After the war he lived in Marion County, Ohio, until 1871, when he came to Kansas, settling on a homestead on Section 9, Township 9, Range 2 east. Here he lived until November 1881, when he moved to Clay Centre and began his present business. He was a Justice of the Peace in Exeter Township for eight years; also Director and Treasurer of his school district. In 1880 he was enumerator of the census for Exeter and Oakland townships. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the G. A. R. He was married in Clermont County, Ohio, December, 1868, to Miss Sarah S. Scott. They have two children, - Effie E. and Scott N.
W. H. FLETCHER, real estate and loans. Born in Cornish, N. H., October 10, 1837. Enlisted October 12, 1861, in Company G, Second United States (Berdan's) Sharpshooters, and took part in nearly all the battles in which that celebrated body of men participated. The regiment, by order of army and corps commanders, was permitted to inscribe on its standard the names of over eighty battles and skirmishes. Mr. Fletcher was a Sergeant until December 24, 1863, when he was mustered Second Lieutenant, and May 1865, was commissioned First Lieutenant, and soon after the corps was mustered out. In 1866 removed to Kansas and settled in Clay County, taking a homestead in Blaine Township. Was a farmer until 1880, when he moved into the city and began business as a real estate and loan agent. He still owns a splendid farm - his old homestead. In 1867 he was appointed County Clerk, and elected to the office the next year; was Probate Judge in 1869, and also District Court Clerk; held all three offices at the same time. Mr. Fletcher was a Representative in the State Legislature in 1877. He is a member of the Board of Education, and Chief of the Clay Center Fire Company, No. 1. He was married march 12, 1868, to Miss Cassie C. Freeman, of Cornish, N. H. They have three children living - Frankie L, Freddie O., and Harry W. They have buried three - Elmer, Bertie and Silas B. Mr. Fletcher is a Mason and a member of the G. A. R.
IRA A. FLOOD, hardware merchant, was born in Muhlenburg County, Ky., February 8, 1840. When eight years old his parents removed to Cincinnati, and thence to Rush County, Ind., thence to Crawford County, Ill. Enlisted August 15,1861, in Company H. of the Eleventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and at the end of a year was mustered out on special order. August 5, 1862, re-enlisted as a private in Company E, Ninety-eighth Illinois Volunteer infantry. He was promoted to First Lieutenant October 1, 1862; Captain, April 3, 1863, and commissioned Major, but did not muster until a few days before the expiration of his term of service. After the war, engaged at trade at Vincennes, Ind., first in dry goods on his own account, and for seven years was a traveling salesman for a Boston firm - wholesale dealers in boots and shoes. In 1877 came to Kansas on a visit, and was so well pleased with the country that he has remained ever since. Located in Clay Centre, and began a very successful career as a merchant in the hardware line; also handles stoves, tinware and harness. Has one of the best businesses in the county. He was married March 5,1867, at Vincennes, Ind., to Miss Mary E. Wyant. Has a very fine home, and enjoys it. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
H. M. FRAIZER, Register of Deeds, was born in Boone County, Ky., May 31, 1840. Was educated at Center College, Danville, Ky., graduating in the class of 1860. Was engaged in teaching until 1871, meanwhile having, in 1868, removed to Buchanan County, Mo. In May 1871, moved to Clay County, Kan., settling in Clay Centre. Was a photographer until June 8, 1872, when he was appointed Deputy Register of Deeds. Was elected Register in 1874, re-elected in 75, 77, 79, and 81, and is still in office. In 1882 he was Representative from Kansas to the Supreme Lodge of the World, K. of P. Has been three times Representative to the Grand Lodge of the I. O. O. F. for three years. Is a Mason of R. A. Degree, and of the Scottish Rite, Fourteenth degree. Is at present W. M. of Clay Centre Lodge, No 134. He was married May 10, 1881, at Parkersville, Morris Co., Kan., to Miss Rosa Sharpe. They have one child - John M., born July 3, 1882.
GEORGE H. FULLINGTON, merchant and County Commissioner, was born in Lamoile County, Vt., July 12, 1845. In 1865 he came to Kansas, and settled in Riley County. The next year he bought land in Clay County and has lived here since. In 1874 he moved into Clay Centre, opening a general stock of merchandise. Two years after he sold his business and went to clerking. Soon after, in partnership with Mr. McIntire, established another business. The firm of Fullington & McIntire own the Clay County Furniture Company and the Clay Centre book store, carrying in the former business about $8,000, and in the latter about $6,000 stock. In 1880 Mr. Fullington was appointed to fill a vacancy in the Board of County Commissioners, and the same year was elected to the office. He was married September 15, 1875, and has two children - Scott J., born October 4, 1878, and Clayton B., born December 11, 1880. Mr. Fullington is a member of the K. of P.
JOSEPH GAZIN, builder, was born in Wayne County, Mich., March 27, 1848. When a child, his parents removed to Chicago, thence to Wisconsin, and then to Minnesota. Joseph learned the carpenters' trade. In 1876 he came to Clay Centre, and has lived here since. He is one of the leading men in his line. Has built such works as Grumme's and Frank's blocks, J. A. Flood's residence, and many other good buildings. He was married March 7, 1869, and has four children - Louise, born March 2, 1870; Lewis, March 9, 1875; William, August 10, 1877; Albert, January 17, 1879.
CHARLES E. GIFFORD, lumber merchant, was born in Essex County, N. Y., May 18, 1850. In 1860 his parents moved to Kansas, settling at Irving, Marshall County. He was educated at the Kansas Agricultural College, Manhattan. In 1872 engaged in general merchandise at Jewell City. In 1878 established his present business at Clay Centre. In 1880 was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention, at Cincinnati, that nominated Gen. Hancock for President. In the same year was the candidate of his party for State Senator in the Twelfth District. In 1882 was the Democratic candidate for State Treasurer. Is the Captain of the Golden Belt Guards, Company H, First Kansas National Guard. Is a Mason of the R. A. degree; also belongs to the K. of P. He is unmarried.
A. A. GODARD, of the firm of Harkness and Godard, attorneys, was born in Bradford County, Pa., December 11, 1855, and graduated from the high school at Waverly, N. Y. Then entered Syracuse University. He read law in Syracuse, N. Y., and Holton, Kan., and was admitted to the bar in October, 1879, by the District Court of Jackson County. In July, 1878, he came to Kansas, and to Clay Centre, November 1, 1879. He is a member of Company H, Second Regiment, Kansas National Guards.
FRANK P. HARKNESS, of the firm Harkness and Godard, attorneys, was born in Bradford County, Pa., December 14, 1854, and was educated at the high school, Waverly, N. Y. Studied law in Union University, Albany, N. Y., and graduated from the law college in the class of 1877. He began practice at Waverly, N. Y., in partnership with the Hon. J. B. Floyd, where he remained for two years. In 1879 he came to Clay County, Kan., and located at Clay Centre, and has practiced here since. In the session of 1879, he was clerk of the Assembly Committee on Banks and General Laws, in the New York Legislature. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married in November, 1882, to Alma Streville, daughter of George Streville, Albany, N. Y.
S. D. HATHAWAY, broker, was born in Walworth County, Wis., April 16, 1851. Educated in common schools. In 1870 he moved to Kansas, his parents having previously settled in Clay County. Was a farmer until February 22, 1878; when he opened an office in Clay Centre. Deals in short time loans, etc. Also has a bank at Miltonville, Cloud County, and has a partnership interest in a store at the same place. He was married September 4, 1874, at Clay Centre, to Miss Emma D. Kelly. They have three children - Laura, born April 20, 1875; Frankie, born July 4, 1876; and Chester.
JAMES A. HENRY, hardware merchant, was born in Ross County, Ohio. At the age of five years his parents removed to Dubuque, Iowa, but soon after to Jo Daviess County, Ill., settling in Elizabethtown. Again, after seven years, returned to Dubuque, living there twelve years, during which time, he was two years a student in Dubuque College. Then clerked for his brother in a hardware store in Sparta, Wis., until 1861. He enlisted April 15, 1861, in Company G, Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, for three months. Re-enlisted for three years in the same company. Again in 1864, he enlisted in Company G, Ninth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and was discharged November 1865. After the war he moved to Ottumwa, Iowa, and became a traveling salesman for Henry & How, wholesale hardware. In 1868 he went to Chicago, and was a salesman in same line four years. Thence to Kansas City, where he was a salesman, traveling for G. W. Henry, in same line four years, then with J. L. Kelly & Co., for two years. Again he went to Chicago, with Brintnall, Lamb, & Co., for three years. Then with Seaberger & Breakwater, one year. Meanwhile, had established four hardware stores in Kansas, one of which was a partnership with Ira A. Flood, Clay Centre. October 15, 1880, he moved to Clay Centre, and has since resided here. Is in the hardware business, corner of Lincoln Avenue and Fifth Street. He was married November 8, 1870, at Chicago, Ill., to Mrs. C. H. Little.
H. G. HIGINBOTHAM, banker, was born in Connersville, Fayette Co., Ind., December 18, 1853. In 1856 he moved with his parents to Illinois, and in the following year came to Kansas, settling in Leavenworth. He was educated at the Kansas Agricultural College at Manhattan, Cornell University, New York, and entered Columbia College, but was forced on account of poor health to abandon study. In 1874, in partnership with his father, John Higinbotham, started to Clay County Bank, at Clay Centre. Mr. Higinbotham is the resident manager, and does a prosperous business in general banking, insurance and kindred business; is one of the substantial men of this town; is Treasurer of the city schools. He was married December 18, 1877, to Miss Lillian G. Starkweather, of Clay Centre. They have one child - John Charles, born March 7, 1879.
WILLIAM HIGINBOTHAM, attorney, was born in Greene County, Pa., January 10, 1849. When a child, his parents removed to Connersville, Ind., and when nine years old, moved to Urbana, Ill. The next removal brought him to Leavenworth, Kan. He was educated at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., leaving the institution three months before graduating in the class of 1868. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in March, 1872, in Leavenworth. Practiced in Leavenworth until 1877, when he settled in Clay Centre. Is a member of the firm of Higinbotham and Dawes. Is unmarried.