|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This town, a portion of which is in Washington County, was laid out by a company from Manhattan and St. George in 1859. Its name is that of the surveyor who platted the town. The company built a log hut when they abandoned their design of building a city at this point. All that is left of their labor is the name, which was perpetuated by the post-office kept by J. P. Fox. The present town site was laid out as East Clifton, in 1870, by Rufus Berry. It is a pleasantly situated town, occupying the high ground north of the big bend in the Republican, where it turns south in Clay County. It is on the Central Branch railroad and the Junction City and Fort Kearney road. The former road reached Clifton, December 15, 1877; the latter on June 13, 1878. These roads have been the means of trebling the size of the town in four years. The first store was opened in 1870, by Wm. Funnel. It is now a town of about 500 population.
West Clifton was laid out in the fall of 1877, by Amanda and Winslow Haynes and Olive Cooper. Building commenced the following spring. The two places are only about half a mile apart, and will eventually become one city. As usual, the ubiquitous circuit preacher was the first to arrive in the sparsely settled country, coming as soon as there were two or three to gather in some rude hut, or in "God's first temple", the grove, to listen to his ministrations. In the fall of 1863, the Rev. R. P. West, of Republic County, of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, commenced holding religious services from Chester's to Younken's. Mr. West early immigrated to the frontier of Kansas, and commenced his labor of love. He was somewhat eccentric, but wherever known, was respected and loved for his benevolent and Christian disposition, and his desire to do good, and relieve suffering in body or mind. His was an animated and cheerful nature, always ready to enjoy a laugh, and equally as ready to shed a tear of sympathy. He generally enlivened his discourses with some amusing anecdote, which according to his experience was the best means of preparing the minds of his hearers to entertain the truths of the religion he was trying to promulgate. In 1864, he organized a Union Church at Clifton, where all religious creeds were united. This church has since become the Methodist Episcopal Church of Clifton. Clifton, Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in January, 1878, by Rev. J. H. Colt. In the same year, the society built a $400 parsonage, and completed a $2,000 church edifice. An extended notice of Clifton will be found in the history of Washington County.
JOHN W. CHADWICK, attorney-at-law, was born in Greenup County, Ky., August 8, 1854. He was educated at Holbrooks Normal School, Lebanon, Ohio. Studied law in his native county, and was admitted at the September term of the Circuit Court for Greenup County, in 1877. In May, 1878, he came to Kansas, locating in Clifton, Clay County, where he has since practiced his profession. He is a member of the Masonic order, and of the A. O. U. W. He was married at Clifton, Kan., February 24, 1881, to Miss Sara C. Graham. They have one child - John W. Jr., born December 19, 1881.
Morganville, formerly known as Morgan City, situated on the Junction City & Fort Kearney Railroad and the Republican River, eight miles northwest of Clay Centre, was laid out in 1870, by Ebenezer Morgan. W. R. Mudge opened the first store in 1871.
Republican City, now the ruins of a fond ambition, was laid out in 1867, by Stickney and Streeter. Milton Clark started the first store. It was Clay Centre's rival for the county-seat. It was in the exact center of the county from which Clay Centre is two miles removed. It, therefore, was more entitled to the honor, but the location was not so favorable it was claimed, at any rate, it failed to receive a requisite number of votes, and the fond hopes of its founders failed to "materialize."
COUNTY CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
The Uniondale Church organized as a Union Church, May 6, 1873, with six members. April 14, 1877, re-organized as a Free-Will Baptist Church, and, July 2, 1877, adopted articles of faith of the Regular Baptist Church, to which forty-three members subscribed. In May, 1877, they dedicated a substantial and commodious church edifice.
North Exeter Division No. 35, Sons of Temperance, organized May 7, 1880. First officers: A. W. Avery, W. P.; Mrs. F. M. Tompkins, W. A. P.; Clara Smith, P. W. P.; J. Thompon, W. C.; C. A. Kendall, W. R. S.; Hattie Chapman W. A. R. S.
Republic City Lodge, No. 24, I. O. G. T. ; organized March 28, 1873. First officers: J. W. Reeder, W. C. T.; Lillie Perkins, W. V. T.; William Avery, W. S.; Byron Gallup, W. F. S.; Alice Hasty, W. T.; I Tompkins.
Mount Pleasant Lodge, No. 127, I. O. G. T. ; organized February 14, 1876, at Mall schoolhouse. Officers: P. T. Loofbourrow, W. C. T.; Mary Jones, W. V. T.; Martin Jones, P. W. C. T.; John Gentry, W. S.; Dorothy Gentry, W. A. S.; P. T. Loofbourrow, W. F. S.
Exeter Lodge, No. 245, I. O. G. T. ; organized in March, 1880. The following were the first officers: Thadius Knox, W. C. T.; Mrs. S. M. Tompkins, W. V. T.; Miss Nora S. Tubbs, W. S.; Eugene Tompkins, W. F. S.
JOHN H. MERTEN, farmer, P. O. Morganville, was born in Quincy, Ill., October 5, 1857. He was educated in a normal school in Galena, Ill., graduating with the class of 1878. The same year he went to Delaware County, Iowa, and taught one year. In April, 1879, he came to Kansas, bought a farm of 240 acres, and since has taught during the winters, and superintended his farm in summer. He has a splendid farm and is an excellent farmer. He was married October 24, 1880, in Greene County, Mo., to Miss Hattie Klipsch. They have one child - John Herman, born June 4, 1882.
WILLIAM SILVER, farmer and grain merchant, was born in Greene County, Ohio, March 14, 1832. When he was three years of age, his parents moved to Allen County, Ind., where he spent his boyhood at work on a farm. At the age of nineteen he began the trade of a blacksmith at Three Rivers, Mich. He worked five years at his trade, and in the spring of 1857, came to Kansas; worked during the summer at his trade in Manhattan in Riley County, coming to Clay County in March, 1858. In April of the same year he pre-empted a quarter section of land in Section 33, Township 6, Range 2 east. He continued on his claim until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company G of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. He served two years and eight months, taking part in the battles of the regiment. After his term of service expired, he returned to his farm. At the organization of the county, he was appointed one of the commissioners, and was twice elected to the office, serving over four years. He was the first postmaster at Wyoming Valley. Afterwards, the name was changed to Lima, and then to Morganville. He continued to reside on his farm until November 1879, when he moved to the town, and has since resided in Morganville. He still has a good farm of 400 acres, but is now engaged in the grain and live-stock trade. He was married April 13, 1863, in Riley County, Kan., to Miss Lucinda C. Edelblute. They have four children - Mary Ellen, Frederick C., Lonsdale Vaile and Edna.
Wakefield was laid out August 26, 1869, by the Kansas Land and Emigration Company, composed of Richard Wake, in honor of whom the place was named, J. Wormald, A. Maitland, Col. Loomis, C. Wake, R. H. Drew and J. D. Bennett. The first house was built by J. S. Dodson, A. Maitland was the first postmaster, and B. Budden opened the first store. The town has a good situation on the banks of the Republican, about fifteen miles southeast of Clay Centre. The Junction City & Fort Kearney Railroad passes through the town and has greatly increased the growth and business of the town since its completion in 1873.
The Wakefield Methodist Episcopal Church was organized May 8, 1879, by Rev. Richard Wake, in honor of whom the town was afterwards named. The church has a commodious church building, dedicated January 18, 1880, and is in a flourishing condition.
St. John's Episcopal Church, three miles west of Wakefield, held its first vestry meeting at Dr. Hewitt's, October 14, 1872. A stone church was built in 1873, and blown down in 1874. The present church and parsonage were erected in 1875-6.
SAMUEL E. RICHARDS, merchant, was born in Shropshire, England, April 14, 1851. He came to America in 1870, and settled in Clay County, working as a farm hand for five years, then clerked four years. In 1879 he began in business for himself at Wakefield. He carries a large stock of general merchandise, and is doing a good business and is a rising man. He now carries an average stock of $5,000; but when he first saw Wakefield he had $1 in cash. Pluck and industry has won for him, however, an honorable place among the merchants of Clay County.
In the fall of 1879, A. L. Beard, an Eastern speculator laid out the town of Industry. It is situated in Athelstone (sic) Township, in the extreme southern portion of the county, sixteen miles from the railroad. Industry contains a few business houses and a small hotel, but from its position it can never attain to the dignity of more than a brisk trading hamlet.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - MISCELLANEOUS.
REV. H. R. HARDER, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, Goshen Township, was born in Wayne County, N. Y. November 7, 1817. In 1857 his parents removed to Livingston County, Ill., where he lived until January 4, 1864, when he enlisted in Company A of the Third Illinois Volunteer Cavalry. The regiment served in Texas until May, 1865, when it was sent against the Indians in Dakota. After being mustered out in the fall of 1865, when it returned to Illinois, and soon after entered Union Christian College at Meron, Sullivan County, Ind. Here he was a student for three years, and while in the institution he was, on June 21, 1868, married to Miss Mattie Dougherty, a fellow student, whose parents resided in the city. In the spring of 1870 he came to Kansas, settling at Columbus, Cherokee County, where he engaged in farming, and also was proprietor of a hotel. Here he lived three years, and then removed to Decatur County, Iowa. He engaged in business as a building contractor, which he followed for five years, in connection with farming. In 1878 he sold out and again came to Kansas, settling in Goshen Township, Clay County, where he has a fine farm and also carries on his work as a builder and a contractor. In 1876 he entered the ministry of the Re-organized Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Day Saints. He has preached extensively in the States of Iowa, Missouri and Kansas, and is now pastor of a church in Goshen Township. In 1882 he was elected a Justice of the Peace for Goshen Township, and is now in office. He is the father of five children - Hiram, born June 7, 1869; Herbert, born December 12, 1871; David, born September 19, 1875; Mary E., born October 6, 1878; Asa A., born April 6, 1881.
W. V. HENSTED, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., December 19, 1840. At the age of three years, his parents removed to Oakland County, Mich., where he was raised on a farm. He enlisted September 21, 1861, in Company I, of the Third Michigan Cavalry, and served in the Army of the Mississippi, taking part in the battles of Inka, Corinth, Holly Springs, and many other engagements. He re-enlisted as a veteran soldier, and served until December 14, 1864, when he was discharged to accept promotion, having been recommended by the Casey Board for an office in the United States Colored troops. He was wounded July 18, 1864, in an affair near Clarendon, on the White River, Ark., receiving a gunshot wound in the right arm which greatly disabled him, and from which he still suffers. He was commissioned by President Lincoln Captain of Company B, of the Twenty-ninth United States Colored Infantry. He was in the Army of the Potomac, and then transferred with his command to the Army of the James - a part of the Twenty-fifth Corps. It is a matter of history that the colored corps first entered Richmond. After the war he returned to Michigan and engaged in farming. In October, 1869, he came to Kansas, settling in Clay County, Bloom Township, on a farm, where he still resides, engaged in farming. He has served as a Justice of the Peace and Township Trustee. He is a member of the G. A. R. March 18, 1866, in Genesee County, Mich., he was married to Miss Mary R. Campbell. They have five children - Lyman J., Mary A., Harriet E., Margaret and Albert.
DR. H. B. JONES, druggist, Industry, was born in Witney, Oxfordshire, England, June 21, 1836, and is a graduate of Christ Church College, Oxford, after which he studied medicine and walked the London Hospitals; from thence he came to America in 1870, stopping in Junction City one year. In 1871 he moved to Wakefield, Kan., living there for some time. From there he moved to Victoria, Ellis County, thence to Clay County, and in 1876 settled in Industry, where he is engaged in the drug trade.
NOYES J. LAMB., farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, Hayes Township, was born in New London, Conn., May 10, 1836. He was an operative in the cotton and woolen mills of his father until September 10, 1862, when he enlisted in the Sixteenth Connecticut Infantry. He was wounded at the siege of Port Hudson. He was mustered out of service August 17, 1863, by reason of the expiration of his term of service. After his discharge he returned to Connecticut, and was employed in the factories until he came to Kansas in 1869, settling on a farm on Section 21, Township 7, Range 3, Clay County, where he has lived since, engaged in farming and stock-raising. He is a member of the G. A. R. and I. O. G. T. He was married at Ledyard, Conn., September 3, 1857, to Miss Martha E. Main. They have had three children - Charles W., Martha A. (now Mrs. Ernest Bowers), and Otis. Mrs. Lamb died January 16,1875, and he again married, in Clay County, Kan., September 2, 1875, to Miss Mary E. Niles.
LEWIS LAFIN, farmer, P. O. Rose Vale, Grant Township, was born in Springfield, Mass., June 20, 1835. When a child, his parents moved to St. Alans, Vt. At the age of sixteen years he went to Clinton County, N. Y., and in 1850 went to Fond du Lac, Wis. In 1857 he came to Kansas, and lived at Bellemont, Doniphan County, where he was an engineer on the St. Joseph ferry. June 6, 1862, he came into Clay County, and located on a homestead on Township 8, Range 4. After it was patented to him, he sold out and bought his present splendid farm on Section 4, Township 9, Range 4, where he is now living, engaged in farming and stock-raising. February 23, 1864, he enlisted in Company L, of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, and served until the fall of 1865. He was wounded in the right thigh by a gunshot. In 1876 he was elected Township Trustee, and re-elected the two following terms. He is now serving his second term as Township Clerk. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married July 6, 1860, in Doniphan County, Kan., to Miss Esther Ann Phelps. They have five children - Norman, born September 28, 1862; Milton, January 23, 1864; Lewis A., August 23,1874; William A., December 23, 1876; Edward S., March 3, 1879.
JACOB MALL, farmer, P. O. Rose Vale, Grant Township, was born in Baden, Germany, April 10, 1836. In 1855, he came to America with a brother; stopped a short time in St. Louis, and then went to work in Kendall County, Ill. In March, 1856, he went to Benton County, Iowa, where he bought a farm. In 1860 he sold out and moved to Kansas, settling on Section 4, Township 9, Range 4, Clay County where he has since lived, engaged in farming. He has a splendid farm well improved. March 17, 1864, he enlisted in Company L of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, and served until November, 1865, when he was mustered out of service and returned to his farm. He has been Township Treasurer two terms. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married November 27, 1857, at Marengo, Iowa, to Miss Louise Wehrmann. They have seven children - Emma (now Mrs. John M. Younken), Louise, Ida May, Henry, Martha, Katie, and Walter Garfield.
JOHN C. MALL, farmer, P. O. Rose Vale, Grant Township, was born in Baden, Germany, December 14, 1831. He was brought up on a farm. In 1850 he came to America, settling in Benton County, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming. In 1868 he sold out in Iowa and came to Kansas, locating in Township 8, Range 4, Clay County. He has a splendid farm of 500 acres well improved, and raises grain and stock. Has good, substantial improvements, and is one of the solid men of the county. He is also a large manufacturer of sorghum syrup. He was married in 1854, in Benton County, Iowa, to Miss Katherine Zilley. They had three children - Frank, Katie (now Mrs. Miles Jones), and William. Mrs. Mall dying, he again married, in Benton County, Iowa, December 14, 1863, Miss Caroline Rhenfuse. They have six children - Laura A., Alfred S., George, Charles, John and Carie.
SAMUEL MALL, farmer, P. O. Rose Vale, Grant Township, was born in Baden, Germany, September 19, 1843. In 1855 he came to America with a brother. They stopped in St. Louis a few months, and in the spring of 1856 went to Benton County, Iowa, where he lived four years. Thence he went to Kendall County, Ill., where he lived until August 10, 1861, when he enlisted in Company I, of the Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteers as a private. At the battle of Chickamauga he was severely wounded by a gunshot in the face, the bullet entering just below the left eye and lodging behind the right ear. At the battle of Adairsville he was again wounded, by a piece of shell which crushed his right foot. He was discharged on account of disability December 19, 1864. He returned to Iowa after the war, where he lived until 1868, when he came to Kansas, settling in Clay County on a homestead on Section 32, Township 8, Range 4. He belongs to the G. A. R. Has a splendid farm and is well fixed. He was married September 22, 1865, at Belle Plain, Iowa, to Miss Henrietta Wiese. They have four children - Emma, born September 14, 1866; Albert, November 28, 1867; Samuel, October 9, 1869; Viola, August 14, 1880.
WILLIAM K. McAULIS, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, Hayes Township, was born in Lawrence County, Pa., May 1, 1857. He was educated at Geneva College, in Logan County, Ohio, graduating in the class of 1878. He taught one year at Parnassus, Westmoreland co., Pa., but his health failing, he determined to come West. In the fall of 1879 he reached Marshall County, Ill., where he rested a short time, reaching Clay Centre January 10, 1880. He settled in the city and, in partnership with George H. Fullington, was engaged in the furniture trade until December, 1882, when he sold out the business and bought a farm in Hayes Township, where he now resides, engaged in farming. He was married October 12, 1881, at Clay Centre, Kan., to Miss Emma Twist.
L. McCHESNEY, farmer and County Treasurer, was born in Orange, N. J., August 30, 1842. Enlisted, August 1, 1861, in Battery B, First New Jersey Volunteer Artillery. Served in the Second Army Corps. Was a Sergeant, and promoted to Second Lieutenant in September, 1864. Was mustered out June 26,1865. In 1865 went to Montana, and lived there until 1868, when he went to Oregon and thence to Idaho. Was engaged in stock raising. In 1873 came to Kansas from New Jersey, having returned to his old home the previous year. Settled in Exeter Township, Clay County;' now lives in Five Creeks Township. In 1881 was elected County Treasurer of Clay County, entering on his duties in October, 1882. Was married in Clay County, May 10,1876, to Miss Mary E. Perry.
HENRY NICOD, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, Hayes Township, was born in Vevey, Switzerland, June 24, 1848. He was educated in a college in his native city, spending three years in the industrial and two years in the classical department; then for a year he studied the German language in a private school at Etlingen, near Carlsruhe, Baden. He was then a bookkeeper in a banking-house in Vevey for three years, and two years in a watch-factory in St. Imier. He then returned to his native city, at the beginning of the French and German war, and soon after went to Paris, France, where he was a bookkeeper in a boot and shoe factory for six months, and then clerked in a commission house for a short time, but was compelled to return to Vevey to settle his father's estate, he being deceased recently. He returned to Paris, and July 25, 1873, was married in that city to Miss Mary Weiss. In 1874 he came to America, and directly to Clay County, where he bought a homestead near Clay Centre. He has a splendid farm of one full section, which is well improved. Raises grain and stock and Jersey red hogs. He has one child - Emma, born December 7, 1876.
JAMES SMITH, farmer, P. O. Peach Grove, Goshen Township, was born in Tariffville, Conn., March 3, 1839. When a child, his parents moved to Essex County, Mass. He was educated in the public schools in Danvers, and learned shoemaking. For five years preceding the war he followed the sea. He enlisted April 30, 1861, in Company C, of the Seventeenth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. He entered the service as a private, went through the non-commissioned grades, and in 1864, was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company G of his regiment, having previously re-enlisted. He was promoted First Lieutenant of the same company in 1865, and was mustered out of service July 11, 1865, at Greensboro, N. C. He returned to Lynn, Mass., and engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes. In September, 1868, he closed business and came West to St. Louis, and was foreman of a factory in St. Louis until 1870, when he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Goshen Township, Clay County. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He is a member of the K. of P. and G. A. R. He was married December, 1869, at St. Charles, Mo., to Miss H. M. Tufts. They have five children - Clarence E., Lewis A., Jennie T., Maggie W. and Archie W.
REV. S. D. STONE, P. O. Clay Centre, Highland Township, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., August 12, 1832. At the age of two years his parents removed to Ashtabula County, Ohio, where he was raised on a farm. He received an academical education at the Ottobein University, a school mainly under the patronage of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. He entered the Western Reserve Annual Conference of said church, in which he continued to labor as an itinerant minister for about twelve years. While pastor of the United Brethren Church in the city of Cleveland, Ohio, he, in August, about the 14th, 1862, enlisted in the United States Army, Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private. He served about one year, and was discharged on account of disability contracted in line of duty, and returned to his charge in Cleveland. In 1864 removed to the State of Iowa, where he was engaged in the work of the ministry for about twelve years, laboring in the various charges, villages and cities of said State. In 1876 removed to the State of Kansas and settled on the farm where he now resides. He is engaged in farming, and is also the minister in charge of Milton Vale circuit of said denomination. He was married July 3, 1854, at Westerville, Ohio, to Miss Mryette Fenton. They have no children of their own, but have adopted two - the orphaned children of a relative - Charley and Mabel.
SAMUEL THORNTON, farmer, P. O. Clay Centre, Hayes Township, was born in Devonshire, England, March 7, 1828. He was raised a farmer. June 9, 1871, he sailed for the United States, and reached Clay Centre, Kan., July 5 of the same year, and bought a farm on Sections 26 and 27, Township 7, Range 3, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married May 17, 1848, in Devonshire, England, to Miss Ann B. Lapthorn. They have thirteen children, all of whom are still living - John, Ann L., Mare E., William, Samuel, Caroline Helena, Selina E., Thomas, Jessie H., Richard, Frances J., Herbert and Benjamin. The five last named live with their parents.
A. W. WOLCOTT, farmer, P. O. Fancy Creek, Goshen Township, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, July 20, 1838. He was raised a farmer. In 1860 he went to Iowa and lived in Harrison County. July 2, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, of the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He took part with his regiment in the battles of Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, and several other hard-fought battles, serving three years. He returned to Ohio after being mustered out of the service, and was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company C, of the One Hundred and Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged at the close of the war. After the war he lived in Harrison County until 1868, when he came to Kansas, settling in Goshen Township, Clay County. Here he still lives, engaged in farming. Has a fine farm, and is well pleased with the country. In 1881 he was elected a Justice of the Peace for Goshen Township, and is still in office. He was married March 6, 1869, in Crawford County, Pa. To Miss Eliza M. Usher. They have two children - Hallie M. and Angie.