Part 2: Indian Raids and Massacre | Organization
The Credit Foncier | Means of Communication
Part 3: Columbus: Schools | The Press
Columbus Fire Department | Public Buildings | Business
Banks | Churches
Part 4: Columbus (cont.): Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 5: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Other Stations: Biographical Sketches:
Lost Creek Precinct | Humphrey Precinct
Sherman Precinct | Creston Precinct | Monroe Precinct
List of Illustrations in Platte County Chapter
V. T. PRICE, of the Columbus, Neb., Lumber and Grain Company. Mr. Price came to Columbus in 1878, and first worked for parties in the grain business one year. He then engaged in the insurance business in company with another party, which was continued until January, 1881. Hulst & Price bought out the firm of Hunneman & Tolman, January 1, 1881, who were then dealing in grain, etc. Mr. P. was born in Utica, N. Y., September 29, 1852; was married in Columbus, Neb., September, 1880, to Miss Josie M. Goodale, who was born in Geneseo, Ill. Mr. P. is a member of Lebanon Lodge, No. 58, of the A., F. & A. M.
HERNRY RAGATZ, dealer in a general line of family groceries, queensware, glassware, crookery and notions, began business in the spring of 1879, settling in Columbus at that time. He was born in Prairie du Sac, Wis., October 14, 1854, where he made it his home, clerking in a general store until he emigrated to Nebraska. He was married in Chicago, Ill., in the spring of 1879. to Miss Margaret Buehler, who was born in Sauk County, near Prairie du Sac, Wis. They have two children, whose names are Henry Newton and Edward Milton. Mr. Ragatz is a member of the Columbus Mænnerchor.
JULIUS RASMUSSEN, dealer in a general line of family groceries, queensware, flour and feed. Mr. R. settled in Omaha in the fall of 1871, and worked as a baker eighteen months; then went into the employ of the Union Pacific Railway Company, a short time after which he settled in Columbus and worked at the bakery trade two and one-half years; clerked in a grocery store one year; then began on a capital of $2,000. his present business, which he has been gradually increasing, and now does a business amounting to $25,000 on an average annually. He was born in Denmark, January 30, 1852; came to America in September, 1871. He was married in Denmark, June 21, 1878, going back to Europe on a visit at that time. His wife's maiden name was Julia P. Scavenius, also a native of Denmark. They have two children--Anna C. and Albert J. Mr. R. is a member of the Knights Templar and one of the city Aldermen.
J. H. REED, farmer, Section 9, Town 17, Range 1, P. O. Columbus, was born in Rootstown, Portage Co., Ohio, in 1833. In 1858, at Lebanon, Ohio, he was married to Miss C. S. Morris, who was born in Berks County, Penn.; they have two children--a daughter, Lois H., and a son, Frederick M.; both Mr. R. and his wife are highly educated; they have a very fine library, containing a large number of standard works upon various subjects of importance; for many years they were engaged in teaching school, standing in the profession; he afterward engaged in merchandising and manufacturing paper; in the fall of 1876, he removed with his family to Nebraska, locating at his present residence, where he has a large farm, consisting of 680 acres, of which 215 acres are in a good state of cultivation. He raises a large quantity of corn, wheat and other grain, corn being the chief crop ; he is also extensively engaged in stock-raising, expecting to market four car loads of fat cattle and a considerable number of hogs per year; he has on hand upward of two hundred head of stock cattle at all times; he employs four men and teams besides one man and horse for herding purposes. Mr. R. is well posted upon the leading topics of the day, politics, religion, etc; he and his family are attendants and members of the Congregational Church.
PROF. J. J. H. REEDY, Columbus, was born in Clearfield County, Penn., in 1853; his parents moved to Freeport, Ill., the following year, locating, in the spring of 1855, at Marengo, Ill. Prof. R. is a graduate of the Pecatonica High School, in Illinois, and of the Jefferson Normal School, in Iowa; for the past fourteen years, he has taught school almost continuously; he has been an instructor in several county normal institutes, among them the Madison County Normal Institute in 1880; he also has been an active newspaper correspondent. He was married in 1871, in Jefferson County, Iowa, to Miss Carrie E. McDougal, who is a native of Monmouth, Ill.; she also has been engaged in teaching; they have four children--Louie V. M., Lowell W., Eulalia R. M. and Ernest W.
MATT S. REID, of the firm of Ransdell & Reid, purchasers of and dealers in general produce, consisting of butter, eggs, hides, pelts, furs and poultry. W. T. Ransdell began the business in October, 1877, and Mr. Reid took an interest in the same in the fall of 1881. The subject of this sketch located in Columbus in 1877, and engaged in a similar business to the above in company with another par y. The above firm have branch houses at Norfolk, Neb., and Denver, Colo. Mr. R. was born in Bureau County, Ill., December 27, 1856; he has lived for many years in Northeastern Iowa, where he was engaged in butchering, farming, etc.
RICKLY & HOFFMAN, proprietors Central Meat Market, Columbus, have been doing business since September, 1881, when Mr. Hoffman was associated in the business with Mr. Rickly, who had been conducting the business for some time prior to that time; they are enterprising young business men, and merit the patronage they receive.
AL. E. RICKLY, the senior member of the above firm, is a native of Columbus; was born in the fall of 1858, and is said to be the first white boy born in that place, having lived there during the greater part of his life, he is well known there; in 1880, he purchased his father's interest in the meat market and conducted the business until the present firm was formed.
HON. JOHN RICKLY, retired, was born in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, March 19, 1815; he emigrated to America in 1834, landing at New York City April 4; he there obtained employment at his trade--butchering--a few weeks; he then went to Lewis County and started the first brick-yard in the south part of the county, carrying on the business one season; he then went to Albany, working at his trade one packing season; he left Albany, with $1 in his pocket, in December, 1834, walking to Rome on the tow-path from Schenectady; during that winter, he worked for a farmer in Cayuga County; in the meantime, his family had come to America and located in Ohio, where nine of the family, including his parents, had died; he started to hunt up the remainder, finding them at Baltimore, Ohio, where he obtained work on the reservoir of the canal until the next fall; he then opened a meat market at Newark, Ohio, remaining until 1838. He was married at Columbus, Ohio. February 22, 1838, to Miss Catherina Bennignus, who was born in Wurtemberg; he moved to Columbus soon after his marriage, remaining there until the spring of 1857; his wife died in the spring of 1849, leaving five children, of whom there are living Mary E., who married Frank J. Becher; John J; Caroline, who is the wife of Will B. Dale; another daughter (Catherine) married E W. Toncray, of Columbus--she died in 1873. In the fall of 1849. Mr. R. married Miss Caroline Bauer, also a native of Wurtemberg; she died in 1864, leaving seven children--William Tell, Louise, Charles E., Rosina, Albert (the first white child born in the town, November, 1858), Augusta, died in 1862, and Samuel. In 1856, he came to Nebraska, arriving at Columbus July 27; he immediately assisted in making the survey of the present site of Columbus; soon afterward, the two town companies located there; when this survey was made, they combined and accepted it; his family followed him the next year. He organized a mill company, which built a mill at Columbus at a cost of $10,000, completing it August 1, 1857; he was the manager of the mill until 1872. Mr. R. took a very active part in the early settlement and organization of Platte County; was largely influential in uniting Platte and Monroe Counties. At that time there was a ferry company which charged the exorbitant sum of $3 for conveying a team across the Loup; he obtained a charter for another ferry, and reduced the fare to $1; he afterward sold out his interest to the old company, requiring it to maintain his rates; he was in the Pawnee war, being appointed Captain of the first company organized west of Omaha; he was three times a candidate for the Territorial legislature; was elected the third time, defeating the man who had twice defeated him; was also Sheriff of the county for one term; has frequently been a member of the City Council, and has been its President for years; he has always been a consistent Democrat, and has taken at all times an active part in politics. An incident in connection with the early settlement may be here mentioned. In 1859, during the term of Chief Justice Hall, Mr. R. was summoned to the grand jury; he, with eight others of the jury, were charged with selling liquor; indictments were held against the nine, but no trial was had, the Judge ordering the cases nolle pros'd at the next term of court to which they had been continued.
WILLIAM B. ROCHON, engineer, Columbus, Neb., was born in Montreal, Can., in 1848. He began to learn the business of engineer in his father's mill when thirteen years old, following it almost continuously since that time. In 1863, he went to Detroit, Mich., where he was employed as second engineer of a steamer running between that city and Montreal. He afterward held a similar position on a steamer running from Detroit to Bay City, Mich. At the latter place, he received a diploma, and was employed as first engineer on the Forest Queen, and was afterward employed as engineer in the pineries of Wisconsin. For the past twelve years, he has been chiefly engaged as engineer in flouring mills and elevators. Was for six years the engineer at the Morrisey elevator at Columbus. In the fall of 1881, he was employed by the Columbus Pork Packing Company. He was married at Columbus, Neb., in July, 1871, to Miss Alice Smith, who is a native of Iowa. They have four children--Frankie, Oscar, Daniel and Clarence.
J. G. ROUTSON (Tiffany, Routson & Willard, stock dealers), Columbus, Neb. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1844. Lived there until 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Fourth Ohio Volunteers, serving nearly three years. After being in the service a few months, he was taken sick at Richmond, Ky., and was sent to Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained a short time. He was then sent to Indianapolis, Ind., where he remained during the rest of his term, acting as Company Quartermaster and Regimental Clerk. While at Indianapolis, he applied himself to his books, preparing himself for civil engineering. At the end of the war, he was discharged at Indianapolis, and returned to his home in Ohio for a short time. He then started West, getting as far as Morris, Grundy Co, Ill., where he remained until the 1st of February, 1866, when he resumed his journey westward, arriving at Columbus soon after. On his arrival, he was employed as an assistant to I. W. Taylor and J. E. North, prominent surveyors and civil engineers. He was elected County Surveyor of Platte County the year following, and held that office four successive terms. In 1875, the above firm was formed, and since that time, he has devoted his attention to dealing in stock. His firm handles 150 head of horses imported from other States per year, dealing exclusively in farm horses. Mr. Routson has recently started a cattle ranch, which he is preparing to develop. He is also a Director of the Columbus Driving Park and Fair Association. He was married at Columbus, in March, 1873, to Miss Carrie Robinson, who is a native of Northern Illinois. They have two children--Ella and Eddie.
REV. J. M. RYAN, a Catholic priest of St. John's Catholic Church, Columbus, Neb. He was born in Ireland in 1821. Began studying for the ministry when he was quite a young boy, and went to England in 1841 and remained until 1848, when he emigrated to America. He located in Pittsburgh, Penn., where he taught school some time. Then went to South Bend, Ind., and attended the Notre Dame University for the term of three years. Went to Chicago in 1852-53, and attended St. Mary's University of the Lake about one year, but remained in Chicago some time. Then went to Atchison, Kan., and spent seven years there in the study of theology, after which he came to Omaha in 1860, and lived with the Right Rev. Bishop James O'Gorman, then the Bishop of Nebraska. Father Ryan was ordained priest by the above Bishop in 1861. He remained there a few months, attending missions; then located at St. John's, Dakota Co., Neb., and took charge of the mission there; also the mission at Sioux City, Iowa, building the first Catholic Church in the latter place in 1862-63. He labored in the two latter places and the surrounding country five years. Then, at his own request, he was transferred to Columbus, Neb., in 1866. He had charge of a mission from Elk Horn River to Julesburg and along the line of the U. P. R. R. in those early days, remaining in that capacity ten or twelve years. Then took charge from Grand island to Schuyler, and built churches in the following places: Kearney Junction, Wood River, Grand Island, Central City, Clarksville, Columbus and Schuyler. In 1881, he made valuable repairs on the Columbus church. Father Ryan is the pioneer priest of the State of Nebraska.
WILLIAM RYAN, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, Columbus, was born in County Limerick, Ireland, November 16, 1852. Came to America in August, 1866, locating in La Salle County, Ill. Engaged in farming for four years. Then went to Henry County, Iowa, remaining until December, 1872, when he came to Columbus. He homesteaded a farm of eighty acres in Polk County, Neb., which he has improved, having good buildings of all kinds. He afterward bought eighty acres in Platte County, which he also improved. He engaged in his present business in march, 1878. Mr. R. is a prominent Democrat and takes great interest in politics
F. SCHECK, manufacturer and dealer in cigars and smokers' articles. Factory is No. 151; was established in 1878. Employs six men and manufactures 20,000 cigars per month. Mr. S. located in Columbus, Neb., in 1878. He was born in Germany January 14, 1850. Learned his trade in Europe. Came to America; arrived in New York City June 5, 1874. He went to Chicago, Ill., and worked one year at his trade, then to Council Bluffs, Iowa, worked and went into business. He was married, in Columbus, Neb., April 6, 1880, to Miss Fannie Price, a native of Austria. Mr. S. is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 44; also a member of the Columbus Mænnerchor.
WILLIAM SHEIDEMANTEL, proprietor of the Columbus meat market, Columbus, Neb., was born July 7, 1855, in Winneshiek County, Iowa, living there engaged in farming and meat market business until he was twenty-two years old. He then went to Wisconsin, where he remained a short time. In the spring of 1876, he engaged in farming near Columbus, following this business until the fall of 1881, when he engaged in his present business. He was married January 9, 1877, to Miss Gertrude Delsman. They have three children--Louis, William and Mary Clara. Mr. S. is doing a large business, having an extensive city and country trade.
JACOB SCHRAM, dealer in dry goods and gents' furnishing goods keeping a general stock notions, etc. established business in 1877, being now the oldest established dry goods house in Columbus. He was born in Bavaria, Germany on Rhine River, October 27, 1844; came to America with his parents and located at Bethlehem. Ohio, where they lived ten years. His parents then moved to Huntington, Huntington Co., Ind., where they lived eight years. Then moved to Will County, Ill., and settled in Mokena eight or nine years: then came to Nebraska, locating in Columbus in April, 1871. The subject of this sketch was married in Mokena, Ill., April 29, 1871, to Miss Catharine Decker, a native of Bavaria, Germany, on Rhine River. They have four children--William, Emma, Jessie and Frank. Mr. S. is a member of Columbus Mænnerchor and the Legion of Honor; has been City Treasurer two years, and Treasurer of the Fire Department four or five years.
CHARLES SCHROEDER, proprietor of the Columbus founding and machine shops. manufacturer of spring wagons and buggies, dealer in farm implements, wind-mills and pump goods, began business in 1873, and has now three buildings which are used for foundry and machine shops, blacksmith and wagon shops and storing machinery of all kinds, besides spring wagons and buggies of his own make. He came to this country in 1862, and worked in different States of the Union until 1858, when he took a homestead six miles north of Columbus; sold the same in 1873, and began with a blacksmith and wagon shop in Columbus. He is doing a very good business, which is growing every year.
FREDERICK J. SCHUG. M. D., Columbus, Neb , was born in Canal Dover, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, in 1854. He attended school at Sandusky, where his father now resides. He took his first course of lectures at Louisville, Ky., during the winter of 1873-74; the next winter he went to New Orleans, La., where he received his second course. The next year he attended the Columbus Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, where he graduated February 29, 1876. He then engaged in hospital practice for some time. He has traveled quite extensively in this country and Europe. In 1880, he located at Columbus, Neb., where he now resides, enjoying a large practice. He is now First Surgeon of the Nebraska National Guards, with the rank of Major.
EDWARD D. SHEEHAN, wholesale dealer in liquors and cigars, Columbus, Neb., was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1844, leaving there when seven years old with his parents, who emigrated to New York City. where he lived for twenty years. When twelve years of age, he began to learn the business of sail-making. In October, 1862, he joined the United States Navy, serving until January 15, 1865, when he was discharged at Fortress Monroe. He then engaged in trading along the western coast of Africa until November, 1866, when he went to California, where he remained a few months. He was twice shipwrecked, enduring many hardships. On one of these occasions his ship, Chicago, was burned in three degrees south latitude. He was picked up by a German vessel and carried to Pernambuco, where for three months he worked for a circus to obtain money enough to take him to New York City. He sailed from San Francisco for Europe, stopping a short time in Callao and Lima, Peru. He then went to Hong Kong, China, and engaged in trading along the coast. In 1869, he again joined the United States Navy, serving as Quartermaster in William H. Seward's expedition. He was afterward transferred to Admiral Rogers' fleet, engaged in surveying the boundaries of the Japan Sea. He took part in the battle between the American fleet and the Coreans. During this cruise, the survivors of the American steamer Oneida, run down by the British mail steamer Bombay, were picked up by his ship, he being the first to discern the masts and rigging of the sunken vessel. In August, 1872, he was discharged at San Francisco, Cal. During the first term of service in the navy, he took part in the battle of Albermarle Sound, between four Federal gunboats and the Confederate Ram, Albermarle, aided by two gunboats. For meritorious service on this occasion, and faithful performance of his duty at all times, he received from the United States Government a silver medal in form of a Maltese Cross, on one side of which is the following inscription, viz.: "Fidelity, Zeal, Obedience," in circle, "U. S. N." across the center. On the reverse side is his name. He has received numerous offers to return to the service, but prefers to remain in Columbus. After his discharge from the navy, in 1872, he started to Egypt, but stopping at Columbus, Neb., to see his sister, Mrs. Ellen Myer, one of the earliest settlers of Platte County, and finding the citizens so shrewd, intelligent, and hospitable, he decided to remain. He said to the writer of this sketch: "I would not change my lot for that of any millionaire in any city I have ever visited. I prefer the citizens of Columbus, Neb., to all others." For one year after his arrival, he engaged in farming, then for two years he kept a restaurant. He then engaged in his present business, having an extensive wholesale trade in surrounding counties, and a large retail trade in imported liquors in Columbus, making a specialty of fine liquors. He has been very successful in his business, having by honest and upright dealing merited the patronage he receives. He was married April 21, 1865, in New York City, to Miss Ellen McNamara, who is also a native of County Cork, Ireland. They have three children--Eliza A., Mary E. and Edward J. He was also at one time a member of Engine Company No. 20, New York Fire Department.
COLUMBUS LIVERY STABLE.
GEORGE A. SCOTT, livery, feed and sale stable, Columbus, Neb., was born in 1847, in Denmark; emigrated to America in 1866, working on farms in the States of New York and Illinois for one year. After that, until 1872, he was employed in herding cattle in La Salle and Putnam Counties, Ill. In that year he moved to Columbus, Neb., where he remained until the spring of 1873, when he joined in a Government surveying party engaged in surveying the southern and western boundaries of Wyoming Territory In November of that year he returned to Columbus, where he remained until the next spring (1874), when he again engaged in the same work as the previous year, remaining until fall, when he again returned to Columbus. In 1875, he was placed in charge of the Pawnee Indians, who were in that year removed to the Indian Territory. He remained in that territory until March, 1876, when he returned to Columbus, and to Iowa the next winter, engaging in the business of carpenter during this time. In July, 1877, he engaged in his present business at Columbus. He has a large stable, employing four men, and having a large number of horses and a complete stock of vehicles of all kinds necessary in a first-class livery stable. He deals quite extensively in horses, handling two to five car-loads per year. He is a stock-holder in the Columbus Driving Park and Fair Association. He married in January, 1880, Miss Carrie McGath, who is a native of Ohio.
I. J. SLATTERY, dealer in books, stationery, toys and musical instruments; also Domestic sewing-machines. Began business in October, 1881. He first settled on Sterns' Prairie, in Platte County, 1872, taking a homestead, where he lived three years, when he removed to Columbus and engaged at his trade of carpenter and joiner. He also did considerable contracting and building, which he followed until beginning the above business. He was born in Henderson, Jefferson Co., N. Y., December 22, 1832. Was married, in Jefferson, Wis., February 22, 1866, to Miss Maria M. Chapin, who was born in Marshall, Oneida Co., N. Y. Their children are Ernest M., Cora B., Roy A. and Alva H. Mr. S. is a member of Lebanon Lodge, No. 58. Also the Lodge of the Eastern Star, No. 14; also Royal Arcanum and Knights of Honor. He is a member of the G. A. R., Baker Post, No. 9. He enlisted in October, 1862, in Company B, Sixteenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, the taking of Corinth, where he was discharged for physical disability. He re-enlisted in March, 1864, in the Thirty-seventh Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and participated in Grant's first attack on Petersburg, Va., and was there wounded on the 30th of September, 1864. During the winter of 1864-65, he was under fire nearly all the time. He was mustered out at the close of the war, July 26, 1865.
SAMUEL C. SMITH, agent for Union Pacific Railway Lands, first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1864, and made a purchase of a farm in Cass County; did not live on it, however, but bought a house in Plattsmouth and lived there a short time, then went to the Pawnee Reservation as Government trader, and there remained about eighteen months; he then located on a farm in the western part of Platte County, Town 17, Range 3 west, where he followed farming about four years. Mr. S. yet owns his farm, which is carried on under his supervision, it being chiefly a stock farm. He moved to Columbus in the fall of 1871. and became agent for Union Pacific Railway Lands and general dealer in real estate, etc. He has been a member of the Board of County Commissioners three years. The subject of this sketch was born in Middlesex County, Conn., July 10, 1825. He lived in Missouri from 1857 to 1865, where he took an active part in raising and enlisting troops for the United States Army, and in demonstrating Union sentiments. Was married in Lincoln County, Mo., in 1859, to Miss Clara A. Boone, a native of the latter county, being a descendant of the Daniel Boone family. Four children--George B., born in 1861; Lillian, born in 1865; Elmer, born in 1868; Nellie B., born in 1872. He is a member of Masonic Lodge and Royal Arcanum.
JOHN STAUFFER, County Clerk, first came to Omaha and located, in the spring of 1868, where he engaged one year as clerk in a grocery house; then went to what was then the town of Jackson, now Duncan, and built a store building, which was the first house in said town. He was there engaged in the mercantile business one year, when he moved to Columbus, since which he has resided there. He was appointed County Clerk in the fall of 1876; held the position until the expiration of the term and was elected to the same office in the fall of 1877. He has been re-elected twice since then, and is now serving the third term. He was born in Switzerland June 5, 1848; came to America in May, 1866. He lived the first summer in Olney, Richland Co., Ill., engaged in farming; moved to Oconomowoc, Wis , in the fall of 1866, where he attended school and was engaged as clerk in a mercantile house until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Columbus in May, 1872, to Miss Eliza Blaser, who was also born in Switzerland. They have three children--John W., Annie R., and an infant daughter. Mr. S. is a member of I. O. O. F., Wildey Lodge, No. 44. He is also a member of the royal Arcanum Lodge, also of the Columbus Mænnerchor and of the Columbus Cornet Band.
OSCAR A. STEARNS, photographer and dentist, Columbus, Neb., was born in 1842, in Washington County, Vt., where he resided until 1871. In 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth Vermont Volunteers, serving a year. He then returned to Vermont, where he engaged in various kinds of business. On November 1, 1866, he was married at Newport, Vt., to Miss Jeannette L. Persons. They have three children--Mabel A., Pearl B. and Esther J. He is a member of Baker Post, No. 9, G. A. R., at Columbus, and a member of the Columbus Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company.
ROBERT STEWART, livery, feed and sale stable, Columbus, Neb., was born in 1845, at Cornwall, Canada, where he lived until he was sixteen years old. He then went to Rochester, N. Y., and engaged in the business of teaming until the spring of 1880, when he went to Columbus, Neb. In September, 1880, he engaged in his present business, and has two stables, in which are twenty-two head of horses, used in his livery business. In his sale stable he disposes of a large number of horses every year. He is also extensively engaged in the coal business and does the greatest part of the draying of the city. In addition to the ordinary class of horses he has some very fine thoroughbred horses of the Hambletonian and Clydesdale stock. Mr. S. is a prominent member of the Columbus Driving Park and Fair Association of Columbus, being Vice President of that association. He was married in August, 1871, to Miss Jennie McKime, who is a native of Scotland. They have four children--George, Minnie, Fred and Charlie.
DR. CHARLES B. STILLMAN, physician and surgeon, and druggist, Columbus, Neb., was born in New Haven, Conn., in 1831, immigrating with his parents to Illinois when three years old. In 1856, he graduated from the Iowa State Medical University, and went to Omaha in that year, remaining there until June of the next year, when he went to Columbus, Neb., where he has since resided engaged in the practice of medicine. For nine years after his arrival he was the only physician at Columbus and vicinity. In 1866, he opened a drug store, which he has since operated successfully, having at the present time a large wholesale and retail trade. He held the office of Register of Deeds of Platte County from 1858 to 1867. During this time the offices of Register of Deeds and County Clerk were consolidated. Mr. S., holding both offices until the end of his term. He was also contract surgeon of the United States Army for two years. He has also held the office of Coroner and has several times been Mayor of the city of Columbus. He takes great interest in all public matters, having been a member of the School Board for several years. He is a prominent member of the Masonic, Royal Arcanum and Knights of Honor Lodges in the city. At present he is Treasurer of the Knights of Honor and Scribe in the Royal Arch Chapter. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. He was married in 1871, at Columbus, Neb., to Miss Celia L. Edwards, who is a native of Utica, N. Y. They have two children--Charles L. and Albert E.
JOHN TANNAHILL, gardener, florist and producer of all kinds of vegetable seeds. He furnishes orders by mail, price lists, etc.; began the present business in the spring of 1875. He first settled in Butler County, Neb , June, 1868, and engaged in farming, taking a homestead at that time and lived there ten years, and sold out, when he removed to his present home, which is situated southeast of the city, just outside of the city limits. he makes the seed business a specialty. He was born in Huntington, Canada East, May 12, 1845. He was married in Chickasaw County, Iowa, January 8, 1870, to Miss Josephine J. Bowlsby, who was born in Butler, Branch County, Mich. They have three children--Lillie A. B., Jennie M. and Minnie L. Mr. T. is a member of the American Legion of Honor, also of the G. A. R., Baker Post No. 9, and is at present the Post Commander of the same. He enlisted January 13, 1865, in Company C, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Regiment Illinois Infantry; was mustered out at Springfield, Ill.
DR. M. D. THURSTON, dental surgeon, Columbus, was born in Bradford, Vt., October 10, 1857, remaining there until he was nineteen years old, when he went to Potsdam, N. Y., where he remained but a short time; he then went to Grand Haven, Mich.; he lived there two years, studying dental surgery under a preceptor; he came to Columbus in 1880, where he has since lived, engaged in the practice of his profession. He is a member of the State Dental Society of Nebraska. He was married in Grand Haven, February 10, 1880, to Miss Charlotte E. Waite.
ABNER TURNER. Cashier of Columbus State Bank, first came to Omaha, Neb., in April, 1867, and engaged in the lumber business two years, at which time he transferred his interests to Schuyler, Colfax Co., which was carried on under his supervision two and a half years; he then moved from Omaha to Columbus in the spring of 1870 and started a lumber yard, which he ran until 1874, when he began a private bank under the name of Turner & Hulst, which was kept up until August, 1875, at which time it was merged into the Columbus State bank. Mr. T. is also interested in stock at Columbus and in the western part of Nebraska. He was born in Tioga County, N. Y., two miles north of Owego, January 18, 1839.
MOSES K. TURNER, editor, and one of the proprietors of the Columbus Journal, published under the firm name of M. K. Turner & Co.; established May 11, 1870; they have lost but one issue during the whole time, caused by a death in the family; they have never printed a dun to any patron of the Journal, which may fairly be considered a remarkable fact with Western editors; the circulation is equal to 1,000; they employ five hands in the work room outside of the proprietors. Mr. T. was born in Cadiz, Ohio, June 23, 1838; he received his education in the common schools of his native city, and began teaching at the age of sixteen years; he entered the Franklin College at New Athens, Ohio, in 1856, and some time afterward took a course in the Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, in his native State, while it was under the management of Prof. Horace Mann, after which he was engaged in teaching and superintending schools; he spent two years at West Liberty, Ohio, in a like occupation, then returned to his native city and began the study of law in the office of his father--A. C. Turner--then a practicing lawyer in Cadiz; he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court, in Columbus, Ohio, in February, 1870; the following month he removed to Columbus, Neb., and began the editing of the Columbus Journal, May 11 of the same year; in those days there were but very few newspapers printed in the far West, and only one in Nebraska west of Columbus. Mr. T. owns a farm of 680 acres three miles north of the city, on which he now resides. He was a member of the State Senate in 1880-82--special session. Was married at Cadiz, Ohio, in April, 1865, to Miss Eliza J. Craig, who was born in Harrison County, Ohio; they have six children--Anna C., Martha M., Alice, Francis B., Johnson C. and Ralph E.
M. WHITMOYER, of the firm of Whitmoyer, Garrard & Post, attorneys and counselors at law, which firm was established as it now is in 1877; Mr. w. settled in Columbus in 1873, and formed the law firm of Garrard & Whitmoyer, which was continued until the present firm was formed in 1877; their business extended throughout Platte and adjoining counties, and occasionally through Western Nebraska; they also practice in the United States Court at Omaha and Lincoln.. Mr. W. was born near Bloomsburg, Columbia Co , Penn., February 12, 1836; he entered the Greenwood Seminary, at Millville, Penn., in 1855; he also attended the Dickinson Seminary, at Williamsport, Penn., and the State Normal School, at Lancaster, Penn., finishing his course of study in the latter place in 1860; he then entered the law office of Robert Clark, in Bloomsburg, Penn., where he remained until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, being elected Captain on the formation of the company, serving his term, participating in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and many skirmishes. Returning to the study of law, he was admitted to practice in Bloomsburg, Penn., in 1865, where he followed his chosen profession until he came to Columbus. He was appointed and served on the staff of Gov. Geary, of Pennsylvania with the rank of Colonel, for several years. He was married in 1872, to Miss Hannah Waller, of Bloomsburg, Penn., who died in Columbus in 1873. He was again married, in October, 1878, to Miss Emma Peckham, who is a native of Bradford County, Penn.; he had one daughter by his first wife, whose name is Laura, and by his second wife two children, Gertrude and Florence.
JOHN WIGGINS, dealer in grain and live stock, and Secretary and Treasurer of the Columbus Packing Company. Member of the Masonic and Knights of Honor orders. Settled in Columbus February, 1875. Born in Herkimer County, N. Y. Married in same county to Miss Rose D. Metcalf. They have three children, whose names are John L., Rossa M. and Florence.
REV. R. B. WILSON, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Columbus, Neb., was born in 1853 at Iowaville, Iowa, leaving there when seven years of age with his parents, who moved to Missouri. He attended Central College at Fayette, Mo., which is under the control of the M. E. Church South. His first charge was at Doniphan, Kan., to which place he was sent in 1875, afterward going to Baxter Springs, Kan., where he remained two years. After a vacation of about a year he came to Nebraska. He was first located at Elkhorn for one year, and at Fullerton one year. He was sent by conference to Columbus in October, 1881. He was married, in 1879, to Miss Leonza Drew of Hamburg, Iowa.
CHARLES H. YOUNG, contractor and builder; also a farmer and stock-raiser. Settled in Columbus in the fall of 1873, and engaged in the above business, and took a homestead, and has since also carried on farming. He has erected some of the best buildings in the city. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Wildey Lodge, No. 44, of Columbus. He was born in Belleville, Canada West, January 16, 1845. Was married, March 1878, in Columbus, Neb., to Mrs. Ellen Compton, who was born in Iowa City, Iowa. They have two children--Herbert S. and Maude. Mr. Young enlisted in August, 1862, in Company A, Tenth Regiment New York Artillery, and participated in the battles around Petersburg, Va., and at Richmond and Butler's Canal. He was mustered out at Sackett's Harbor in August, 1865.