Part 2: Indian Raids and Massacre | Organization
The Credit Foncier | Means of Communication
Part 3: Columbus: Schools | The Press
Columbus Fire Department | Public Buildings | Business
Banks | Churches
Part 4: Columbus (cont.): Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 5: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Other Stations: Biographical Sketches:
Lost Creek Precinct | Humphrey Precinct
Sherman Precinct | Creston Precinct | Monroe Precinct
List of Illustrations in Platte County Chapter
SAMUEL D. CORY, Superintendent and a stockholder of the Columbus Packing Company. He first located in Omaha, Neb., September, 1874; worked for Mr. J. E. Boyd in his large packing house four years; then in another house of similar kind one season, and was Superintendent of Roddis & Thrall's packing house four years, and from there he came to Columbus, in October, 1881, and became interested as above stated. He was born in Kosciusko County, Ind., October 17, 1850. He first engaged in the packing business in La Fayette, Ind., in 1863, where he remained two years; then to Des Moines, Iowa, two seasons, and from there to Ottumwa, same State, six years, previous to coming to Omaha. He was married in Ottumwa, Iowa, January 8, 1862, to Miss Hannah A. Rogers, who was born in Lee County, Iowa, April 15, 1854. They have two children living--Mary A.; Bertha L., deceased; Nettie P.; Samuel R., deceased.
L. J. CRAMER, Principal of Columbus High School, and also County Surveyor. He makes school work his regular profession. He located in Columbus, Neb., August, 1877, coming for the purpose of teaching. He is a native of Ohio, having been born in Tiffin, Seneca County, December 7, 1845. He entered Heidelberg College in his native town at the age of sixteen years, from which he graduated in 1869, and from which he holds the degree of Master of Science. He engaged in engineering for about three years. His natural adaptabi ity for teaching being noticed by some of his friends, he was called to that profession against his will, which he has followed ever since. Mr. Cramer holds a State certificate, which entitles him to teach in any public school in the State. He is a member of Mystic Council, No. 130, of the Royal Arcanum.
WILLIAM B. DALE, agent for the Detroit Safe Company, settled in Columbus early in 1865, emigrating from Albany, N. Y. He first engaged in general merchandise and lumber business, which he followed until the spring of 1871, then engaged in the safe business, and since then followed the same. He was born in Cooperstown, N. Y., September 25, 1840. Was married in Columbus, Neb., in the fall of 1867, to Miss Caroline Rickley, who was born in Columbus, Ohio, September 27, 1849. They have two children--Carrie E. and Courtney E.
C. H. W. DEITRICHS, merchant, Columbus, Neb., was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1836. He emigrated to America in 1867, remaining in New York City a few months, then going to Chicago, where he lived a short time. In 1868, he moved to Nebraska, locating near Lost Creek, and engaging in farming. He and his family endured many hardships the first four years, subsisting wholly upon corn meal and shorts, and having no meat except at long intervals a prairie chicken or rabbit. The first year he succeeded in getting two acres of his land plowed. The next year he obtained two cows in exchange for his labor. Having made a yoke, he used them to plow his land, his wife assisting him in the work. In that year, Mr. Platte gave him two ponies and a set of harness. He then obtained a large tree from which he sawed four wheels and made a wagon. With this he managed to do his hauling. He lived on his farm for five years, when he moved to Columbus and engaged in merchandising. which he has since followed. Though he had but $2 when he settled in Nebraska, he has now two farms of eighty acres each, and a number of town lots in Columbus, some of them improved. He was married, in Germany, in 1859, to Miss Dora Benecke. They have seven children--Dora, Charles, August, Wilhelmina, William, Matilda and Amelia. Charles, the oldest son, has shown extraordinary talent as a portrait painter. In 1880, he made his first efforts at painting, continuing for one year without instruction. He began receiving instruction in the fall of 1881, and has completed a number of portraits difficult to excel. He is now at work at some portraits that are said to evidence his rare genius, and which, when completed, will place him in the front rank of portrait painters. His work is a marvel of artistic skill.
J. B. DELSMAN, dealer in dry goods, boots and shoes, hats and caps and groceries, Eleventh street, Columbus, established in 1875 by J. B. Delsman. From 1877 to 1882, the business was managed by a firm, J. B. Delmans & Co. On the 1st of January, 1882, Mr. D. bought the entire interest, and now conducts the store solely in his own name. He carries a stock of $9,000, and gives employment to three men. J. B. Delsman was born in Manitowoc, Wis., in 1852, living there until 1870, when he went to Iowa, living at several places in that State until 1874, when he came to Columbus. For three months he was employed as a clerk in the store of J. C. Morrissey. He then returned to Wisconsin, making a short visit to his parents and returning to Columbus; after clerking for two months, he opened a grocery store, which he has carried on until the present time. In 1875, he married Miss Clara Heitkemper. They have four children--Clara, Freddie, Henry and Clemens. In 1882, Mr. D. was elected City Treasurer.
REV. DOMINIC FLORIAN, a Catholic priest. He was born in Ziegenhals, Silesia, Germany, March 15, 1837. He studied nine years in Germany, being ten years of age when he began studying for the ministry in the higher schools. He then followed other business fourteen years. In 1870, he entered in the Franciscan Order, and came the same year to America. He remained one year a novice,, then he studied philosophy one and a half years in Quincy, Ill., then studied theology three years in St. Louis, Mo., and received the priesthood in 1874 in the latter city. He then became pastor of a church at Sigel, Ill., four years, after which pastor two years in Teutopolis, Ill. and also Superior of the Monastery. He came to Columbus in July, 1881, and took charge of the German Catholic Church.
J. W. EARLY, County Treasurer of Platte county, located at Shell Creek, in the above county, in March, 1867, where he lived until the fall of 1868, engaged in farming. He also made a pre-emption claim in June, 1868, which claim he moved on after erecting a dwelling house, in which he resided until the fall of 1873, when he removed to the city of Columbus. He was appointed Deputy Treasurer in the fall of 1873, and served in that capacity six years. He was elected in the fall of 1879 Treasurer of Platte County; re-elected in the fall of 1881. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, December 29, 1844. He resided in Pittsburgh, Penn., and in that vicinity until he moved to Nebraska. He was married in East Palestine, Ohio, in 1865, to Miss Mary A. Routson, who is a native of the latter place. They have four children--Emma, Charles E., Kate and Lois. Mr. E. is a member of the Masonic Fraternity of Lebanon Lodge, No. 58, also of the Chapter, Orient Lodge, No. 21; also a member of Mount Tabor Commandery, No. 9, of Fremont, Neb. Mr. E. enlisted in Company B, Nineteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in September, 1861, and participated in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville and Franklin, Tenn., and many skirmishes. He was mustered out in the fall of 1863 at Columbus, Ohio. He afterward took charge of a wagon train plying between Camp Nelson and Cumberland Gap, and served in the latter capacity until the latter part of 1864. Has been County Commissioner three years, beginning in 1870.
J. C. ECHOLS, painter of house, sign, carriage and ornamental painting. He also carries a fine stock of wall paper, and does paper-hanging. He began business in Columbus, Neb., in 1880. He employs a number of men to assist him during the busy season. He settled in Columbus, Neb., in 1874, and engaged in farming two years; he then clerked in a book store two years. then began learning his present trade. He was born in Culloden, Ga., January 9, 1861. He lived in the latter state until he went to Nebraska.
G. W. ELSTON, dealer in live stock, wagons and harness, Columbus, Neb. Has been engaged in present business in Columbus for the past four years, handling fifty head of horses, one hundred and fifty head of fat cattle and thirty wagons. He was born in Luzerne County, Penn., October 28, 1840, living there until he was ten years old, when his parents removed to Wisconsin, where he lived until 1864, engaged in farming. In that year he enlisted in Company G, Thirty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the end of the war, being in the Army of the Potomac, under Grant, and taking part in the various battles that occurred around Petersburg and Richmond. He was married, January 1, 1858, in Wisconsin, to Miss Cornelia Flint, who was born in Allegany County, N. Y. They have nine children living--John, Sarah, Edward, Marvin, Willard, Marion, Alice, Mary and Daisy. Mr. E. is also a member of the firm of P. Laughlin & Co., marble dealers at Columbus. They employ four men and carry a stock of $1,100.
JACOB ERNST, farmer, Section 8, Town 17, Range 1, P. O. Columbus. Was born in Norwangen Fr., Berne, Switzerland, in 1830. He emigrated to America in 1855, living in Columbus, Ohio, working at his trade of blacksmith until the spring of 1857, when he moved to Columbus, Neb. He there followed his trade until 1871. In the fall of 1868, he moved to his farm, now consisting of 280 acres, where he has since resided. One-half of his farm is in a good state of cultivation, the rest being in pasture land, and on Section 32 has twenty acres of timber land; in Section 7, 160 acres of meadow or hay land. He is one of Platte County's most opulent farmers, raising large quantities of corn and other grains. He is also a large stock-raiser, keeping on hand 100 head of cattle, and sending to market two car-loads of fat cattle per year and one car-load of hogs, besides raising a number of horses every year. He was married, in 1856, at Columbus, Ohio, to Miss Katherine Aby, who is also a native of Switzerland. They have two children living--Jacob A. and William T. He is a member of the Wilde Lodge, No. 44. I. O. O. F., and of Encampment No. 9. Mrs. Ernst is the fourth lady that settled at Columbus.
E. D. FITZPATRICK, dealer in books, stationery, musical instruments, notions etc. Began business in April, 1876. Mr. F. first settled seven miles northwest of Columbus on a soldier's homestead, where he lived two years. Went to California in 1873, and returned in a few months and engaged in various occupations, laboring, plastering, laying brick, etc., for about two years, when he engaged in the present business. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, November 5, 1842. Was married in the latter city December 13, 1865, to Miss Mary Ann Andrews, a native of Bolton, Lancashire, Eng.; born December 13, 1847, have six children--Sarah M., Mary, Agnes, Jennie, Edward and Grace. He enlisted, August 10, 1861, in Company E, Forty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Shiloh, where he was wounded in the second day's fight. He was soon after discharged on account of wounds received in the war, and now draws a pension.
LEANDER GERRARD, President of the Columbus State Bank, also a member of the law firm of Whitmoyer, Gerrard & Post. Mr. G. settled in Omaha, Neb., in 1855. He became a partner in the law office of J. M. Newton, where he remained in practice until 1858, when he moved to what was soon after organized, with the assistance of Mr. G., into Monroe County, but afterward consolidated into Platte County. He settled in the above county at Monroe, near what is now Lost Creek Station, and remained until 1867, engaged in farming, freighting and trading with the Indians, keeping a trading post at the Pawnee Reservation, and in the latter year he removed to Columbus, where he began the practice of law and dealing in real estate. He, in company with Mr. Reed, started a private bank under the firm name of Gerrard & Reed, in 1871, which they conducted until the organization of the Columbus State Bank in 1875. He still continues law practice under the firm name of Whitmoyer, Gerrard & Post. He was born in Manchester, England, August 31, 1839. His parents were formerly New England people, but while on a visit to England. Leander G. was born. He was married in Columbus, Neb., in May 1870, to Miss Bettie Weaver, who was born in Columbus, Ohio. They have four children--Clarence L. Earnest A., Phoebe and Grace. Mr. G. was a member of the House of Representatives of the Territorial Legislature in 1858, and a member of the State Senate in 1870-71. The first mail route that was ever established up the Platte Valley, running from Omaha to Monroe tri-weekly, a route from Monroe to Fort Kearney once a week, was secured by him. In 1858, he originated what is known as the herd-law, being the first law of the kind to protect agriculture established in the West. It then included only the counties of Monroe, Platte and Hall, but the law gradually spread over the whole State, and became complete in 1871. The same law is now in force in many Western States and Territories. He was appointed United States District Attorney for the State of Nebraska. in 1871, by President Grant, but he declined the same. In politics, he has always been a Republican, and is one of the active anti-monopoly leaders of the State today, taking the grounds that the General and State Government should control the railroads and operate them the same as the postal service.
EDWARD A. GERRARD, present Postmaster of Columbus, Neb., was born in Manchester June 30, 1834. He came to the United States at four years of age; crossed the plains to California in 1853; returned by way of Panama in 1859, and locating near Columbus enlisted in the Nebraska Second Cavalry in 1863. He took a trip to Colorado in 1864; moved into Columbus in 1868, having become familiar with the country north-west to the Indian reservations, by following bands of Indians who often came down and stole the settler's horses; was engaged as a guide, and made the first trail for cattle west of the Sixth Principal Meridian, from the Platte to the Indian reservations north-west; went to California in 1876, and, with C. W. Zeigler, drove a herd of ponies from San Louis Obispo, Cal., to Columbus; in May, 1878, took charge of the post office in Columbus; still does business under the firm name of Gerrard & Zeigler; was County Clerk of Monroe County and Commissioner of Platte County, previous to moving to Columbus. His father, Joseph Gerrard, was born in Manchester, England, and moved to the United States when nineteen years of age; married Adeline Allen, of New Bedford, Mass. During a sojourn in Manchester, England, Edward A. was born. The family moved to Rock island, Ill., in 1838, and to Nebraska in 1859. Edward A. was married November 27, 1879, to Thirza B. Smith, of Skaneateles, N. Y. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and his wife is a member of the Baptist Church.
REV. SAMUEL GOODALE, Pastor of Grace Episcopal Church, Columbus, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1814, where he remained, living with his parents, until he was twenty-one years of age. He graduated at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., in 1836, having been one of the founders of the Psi Upsilon Society, and a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, of that college. He then taught school in Wheeling, W. Va., three years. He entered the Episcopal Theological Seminary at New York City, graduating in 1841, in which year he was ordained at Providence, R. I. His first charge was as missionary near Syracuse, N. Y., where in 1843 he married Miss Rebecca Kimball, who died at Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1850, to which place they had that year removed. She left a son, Chester, now living near Ashland, in Cass County, Neb. In 1852, Mr. G. was married at Wilbraham, Mass., to Miss Anna Merrick, a native of that State. They have one child, a daughter, Josie, now the wife of V. T. Prise, of Columbus, Neb. From Kalamazoo he went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1853, remaining two years, then going to Genesee and Rock Island, Ill., where he remained until 1866. In that year he came to Nebraska, accepting the appointment of missionary along the Union Pacific Railway. He located at Columbus in 1868, where he built a church, afterward going to Lincoln, Ashland and Fremont, at which places, and at Silver Creek, he built churches. In 1877, he returned to Columbus, where he now lives. He was chosen Chaplain of the Senate of the Eighth Legislature, serving most acceptably in this position during the session.
JOHN HAMMOND, proprietor of the Hammond House The hotel was erected by George Francis Train, and was originally called the Credit Foncier House, and was built in Cleveland Township, but was moved to Columbus in 1869, and has been improved and remodeled. It contains thirteen sleeping rooms; can accommodate fifty guests; does an average monthly business of $600. Mr. Hammond settled in Boone County, April 1871, being then the first settler in what is now named Albion, now the county seat of the latter county. He was employed there in locating settlers about two years. He came to Columbus and opened the Hammond House April 21, 1873, and has lived there since. Mr. H. enlisted in August 1862, as a private in Company B, Seventh Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and was engaged in the Indian service in the latter State, served eighteen months, and was transferred to Battery K, First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, and was promoted to the captaincy and served until the fall of 1865, then doing garrison duty at Chattanooga. Tenn. He was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., but was paid off and received his discharge at Fort Snelling, Minn., September 5, 1865. He has been County Commissioner of Boone County, also of Platte County. He was married in Franklin, Franklin Co., Vt., February 1, 1854, to Miss Mary E. Hicks. She was born September 3, 1835, in West Berkshire, Franklin Co., Vt. Mr. Hammond was born in the same place May 31, 1833. Mr. H. is a member of Baker Post, No. 9 of G. A. R., and has been Commander since 1875. There are about seventy-five members in the latter organization.
J. N. HEATER, millwright, mill-builder, and a civil and hydraulic engineer, also traveling agent for James Leffel & Co., and agent for general mill-furnishing goods. Mr. H. has a complete knowledge of the geography of the numerous streams through the State, and of all the unimproved mill sites. His parents, with a family of four sons, located at Lincoln, Neb., in the fall of 1869, but his father died within two days after their arrival, which left the boys to depend on their own resources. he, with a brother, followed contracting and building in the latter city until 1873, after which the subject of this sketch engaged in millwrighting on his own account. He lived in Lincoln until July 1, 1878, when he removed to Columbus, Neb., since which time he has been extensively engaged in the latter business, doing work in his own State, Kansas and Dakota. He has superintended the building of a steam mill at Palmyra; Wood Lawn, six miles west of Lincoln; the large wind flouring mill at Bennet, and two large mills in Boone County, also a mill at Shell Creek, and one on Battle Creek, and re-built a mill in Colfax County. He has also made plans and sold machinery to a great extent. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, November 4, 1853; was married in Boone County. in September, 1877, to Miss Annie E. Case, who was born in Defiance County, Ohio, March 5, 1855.
W. H. HEIDELBERGER, dealer in dry goods, clothing and furnishing goods, Columbus, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1844; emigrated to America in 1860, locating in Cumberland, Md., where he was employed as a clerk for three years; he then went to St. Louis, where he remained a short time, and then going to Omaha, where he opened a dry goods and clothing store, remaining there for nine years. He went to Columbus in 1874 and engaged in his present business.
A. HEINTZ, dealer in a general line of drugs, chemicals, paints, oils, etc. Mr. H. is also County Coroner of Platte County. He settled in the above county in 1868 and took a land claim, where he remained six years, then moved into Columbus and engaged as veterinary surgeon, having graduated from a veterinary college in Germany, which practice he now follows. He made a visit to his native country in 1881. Was born in Germany August 3, 1842; came first to America in 1866, and lived in Iroquois County, Ill., two years and followed his profession, when he came to Nebraska. Was elected County Coroner in 1875, since which time he has acted in that capacity. He has one of the principal drug stores in the city. Was married in Platte County, in 1871, to Miss Julia Schaad, a native of Switzerland.
GERHARD HEITKEMPER, dealer in a general line of watches, clocks, jewelry, silver and plated ware, toys, fancy articles, musical instruments and sewing machines, began business in Columbus in April, 1880. Does an average yearly business of $10,000; employs two men, and has a branch store at Schuyler, Neb. He was born in Prussia, Germany, January 6, 1848; came to America with his parents in 1859. He was married in Springfield, Ohio, January 12, 1869, to Miss Mary A. Boerger, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio; they have two sons--Frank A. and Gerhard H., Jr. Mr. H. is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
JOHN HEITKEMPER, junior partner in the firm of J. B. Delsman & Co., Columbus, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1853, going to school there until 1866, when his parents moved to Winneshiek County, Iowa. In 1869, the subject of this sketch went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he attended Nelson's Mercantile College for one year, when he returned to his home in Iowa, remaining about one year; he then came to Nebraska, engaging as clerk in a general store in Cedar County for nearly five years; he then came to Columbus, and, in 1876, engaged in his present business. He married, in 1881, Miss Theresa Kelhoffer.
JOSEPH HENGELER, proprietor of Columbus Star Brewery, Columbus, which was established in 1874 by Charles Breamer, who operated it for several years; in 1876, it was purchased by Joseph Hengeler and Herman Kerseubrock, who operated it until July, 1880 when Mr. Kerseubrock sold his interest to Mr. Wandel. Mr. Hengeler has since bought out Mr. Wandel, and is now sole proprietor. It has a capacity of 3,500 barrels of beer per year; at the present time, 1,700 barrels of beer are made annually; they employ four men and two teams, and put up 800 tons of ice per year. Joseph Hengeler was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1857; his parents moved to Nebraska in the spring of 1858, locating on a farm a few miles from Columbus; he engaged in farming with his father until he engaged in his present business. He was married in July, 1880, at Columbus, to Miss Augusta Messing, who is a native of the State of New York; they have one child--Mary. He is a member of the Columbus Mænnerchor.
R. H. HENRY, dealer in live stock, and engaged in the raising and feeding of large herds of cattle; he is interested in about six thousand head of cattle on the North Loup River, owned by the firm known as the Henry Live Stock Company; Mr. H. is also interested in the firm of Lee, Blewett & Henry, livestock dealers, with headquarters at Fremont, Neb.; he is also President of the Columbus Packing Company. Mr. H. first settled in Omaha in March, 1867, where he remained six years, engaged in the sale of agricultural implements; he then removed to Columbus and engaged in the same business, the firm being Henry & Bro.; they also kept a similar establishment in Fremont, Neb., during the same time; he settled in Columbus in 1872, and continued the implement business in connection with mercantile business; he sold out his interest in the mercantile business, September 22, 1879. He was born in Schuyler County, N. Y., May 26, 1842; his parents moved to Dane County, Wis., near the capital of the latter State, where he lived until 1867. He enlisted,, in August, 1861, in Company B. Eleventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles or siege of Vicksburg, and all the battles preceding the siege of the latter place; he also participated in many engagements in the States of Missouri and Arkansas, serving in the Eleventh Regiment until February 3, 1864, when he re-enlisted for three years in the same regiment, and served until September, 1864, when he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Forty-second Wisconsin Vol. Inf., but was soon promoted to First Lieutenant, in which capacity he served until June, 1865, when he was mustered out at Madison, Wis. He was married in Fitchburg, Dane Co., Wis., February 22, 1870, to Miss Mary L. Adams, who was born in the latter town; they have three children, named Walter A. B., Herbert L., and Mary. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic fraternity--Lebanon Lodge, No. 58, and Orient Chapter, No. 18. He has served as County Commissioner of his county; also Mayor of the city of Columbus.
JOHN G. HIGGINS, County Judge and attorney and counselor at law, first located in Columbus in the early part of the summer of 1870, and engaged in the practice of law, which he has since followed; he was elected County Judge in Platte County, in October, 1871, and has since presided in that office; he is now serving on his sixth term; he has a practice of from $2,0000 to $3,000 per year, beginning a stranger with the people. He was born in La Salle County, Ill., April 2, 1845; he entered the University of St. Mary of the Lake, in Chicago, Ill., and graduated in June, 1863; he then entered the Law School of the Chicago University--Mr. H. Booth being Dean--where he attended five successive terms, and was admitted to the bar at Ottawa, Ill., in 1867; previous to going to Ottawa, he was four months in the law office of M. D. Brown, of Chicago, Ill.; he remained at home from the fall of 1867 to October, 1869, at which time he went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and lived there five months, being principally in the office of V. A. Gregg; he went to Columbus in April, 1870. Was married in Omaha, October 25, 1869, to Miss Annie O'Conner, who was born in La Salle County, Ill.; they have six children living and one deceased--John M. (deceased), Catharine E. M., Joanna M., Edward B., Francis P., Annie, and an infant daughter not yet named.
EDWARD HOEHEN, M. D., Columbus, was born in 1830, in Zurich, Switzerland, where he took his course of lectures, beginning in 1846 and graduating in 1853, and practiced there until 1857, when he emigrated to America, locating in Milwaukee, Wis.; he lived there ten years, engaged in the practice of medicine. In 1861, he married, at Milwaukee, Wis., Miss Elisa Kemstedt, who died in 1864, leaving a daughter--Emma. In July, 1871, he married Miss Jennie Brandt, who is a native of Germany; they have three children--Lillie, Euna and Carl. Dr. H. is a prominent member of the German Mænnerchor at Columbus.
JOHN E. HOFFMAN, junior member of the firm of Rickly & Hoffman, was born in Chicago, Ill., in 1855; his parents moved to Wisconsin when he was two years old and engaged in farming, which he also followed, afterward engaging in the meat market business also; he came to Columbus in February, 1881, and engaged in his present business, working for other parties until September of that year, when the present firm was formed.
D. C. KAVANAUGH, Sheriff of Platte county, located in Columbus July 23, 1875, and followed painting three and a half years; engaged in stock-raising about two years; was elected Sheriff of Platte County in the fall of 1881; was also Assessor in the spring of the same year. Was born in Milwaukee, Wis., November 23, 1856. He was married in Columbus January 7, 1878. He is a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. They have one daughter, whose name is Edith Catharine.
CARL KRAMER, dealer in dry goods, boots and shoes, hats, caps and notions, Columbus, was born in German in 1845; came to America in 1857, locating in Chicago, Ill., where he attended school for five years; he then entered a dry goods store as a clerk, where he remained until 1877, when he came to Columbus and engaged in his present business; he occupies two adjoining storerooms, carrying a stock of $35,000; employs twelve clerks. He was married, in 1879, at Chicago, to Miss Bertha Loeb, who is a native of that place. He is a charter member of the Order of the Legion of Honor of Columbus, and is a director of the Columbus Creamery Company.
WILLIAM LAMB, dealer in a general line of family groceries, also dealer in real estate, came to Nebraska in 1861; remained a short time and went to Colorado; he located in Columbus, in 1872, and began the grocery business; he built a store in 1872; was burned out, and rebuilt in 1879. Was born in Ireland in 1842; came to America in 1852; lived in Hamilton County, Ohio, and has since lived in various places in the Western States and Territories previous to settling in Columbus. He was married in the latter city, in 1870, to Miss Mary Ryan, who was born in Ireland, and came to America at the age of six or seven years, and was raised in Chicago, Ill.; they have four children living, whose names are James Peter, Anna Elizabeth, Mary Josephine and John Henry. Mr. Lamb and family are members of St. John's Catholic Church.
PETER LAUGHLIN, of the firm of P. Laughlin & Co., marble dealers, Columbus, Neb., was born in New York City in 1842; learned his trade with his brother, in Brooklyn, N. Y.; lived in New York City until he was sixteen years old, when he went to the northern part of Illinois, where he remained one year. His next place was Spring Valley, Minn., where he resided until 1874, engaged in farming, except four years that he served in the army. He enlisted in Company A, Second Minnesota Volunteers; was with the Army of the Cumberland, and took part in the various battles in which that divison was engaged. He was mustered out at Fort Snelling. in 1865. He is a member of Baker Post, No. 9, G. A. R., at Columbus. He was married at Spring Valley, Minn., in 1866, to Miss Alta L. Gage. They have four children--Leon Lee, Eva Lusina, Archie Adair and Lottie Maud.