Part 2: Indian Raids and Massacre | Organization
The Credit Foncier | Means of Communication
Part 3: Columbus: Schools | The Press
Columbus Fire Department | Public Buildings | Business
Banks | Churches
Part 4: Columbus (cont.): Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 5: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Other Stations: Biographical Sketches:
Lost Creek Precinct | Humphrey Precinct
Sherman Precinct | Creston Precinct | Monroe Precinct
List of Illustrations in Platte County Chapter
HON. GEORGE LEHMAN, owner and proprietor of the Grand Pacific Hotel, Columbus, was born in Des Moines , Iowa, January 6, 1848; he was reared in Lancaster, Ohio, living there until 1864. He then went to Des Moines, Iowa, remaining two years. In 1866, he came to Nebraska, locating at Columbus soon after joining the Nebraska Scouts, under Major North, serving one year as Sergeant and one year as First Lieutenant. At the expiration of his term of service, he returned to Columbus and engaged in the hotel business, keeping the American House two years; then for seven years he was engaged in farming. During this time, in October, 1872, he married, in Columbus, Miss Lizzie Whally. They have three children--Clara, William and Lester. Mr. L. is a prominent leader of the Democratic party in Platte County, and takes an active part in county and State politics. He has held the office of Sheriff of Platte County one term, and in 1880 he was elected to the Legislature. In 1880, he built the Grand Pacific Hotel, which he kept nearly a year; he then leased it and went West, where he remained until the spring of 1882, when he again took charge of the hotel. He served nine months in the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Infantry as private; was but sixteen years old at the time of enlisting.
HENRY LUERS, dealer in iron and wooden pumps, agricultural implements, wind mills, etc., began his present business in 1881. During the year 1881, he did business to the amount of $2,000 to $3,000. He employs three men. Mr. L. first located in Schuyler, Neb , March 1, 1874, and engaged in the manufacture of wagons one year. He then went to Columbus, where he carries on a wagon and blacksmith shop in connection with the above business. He was born in Germany, December 8, 1848; came to America, arriving in April, 1872. He was married in Columbus, Neb., June, 1876, to Miss Gersine Kunnemann, a native of Germany. They now have one son and one daughter, whose names are Adolph and Alvena Wilhelmina.
JAMES McALLISTER, dealer in a general line of family groceries, notions, etc., settled in Nance County, Neb., in May, 1857, where he farmed three years. He then moved eight miles east of Columbus and purchased 160 acres of land and farmed there twelve years; came into Columbus in 1873 and engaged in his present business. He was born in Scotland, October 17, 1815; was married in his native country, in 1848, to Miss Mary Ann Carson, a native of Ireland. They emigrated to America in 1848. They have three sons and two daughters--Elizabeth, now married to Robert McPherson, and living in Platte County, Neb.; James, now married and living in Montana; William and Stephen, attorneys and counselors at law and collecting agents, at Columbus, Neb., and Margaret, married and living in Columbus.
JOHN C. McMAHON, ex-Chief of Police, Columbus, Neb., was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1843, emigrating to New York City in 1860, where he remained a few months. He was in the employ of the New York & Erie Railway six years, at Dunkirk, N. Y., and two years at Jersey City. He was married at Fall River Mass., in 1867, to Miss Mary Griffin, who is also a native of County Clare, and with whom he there went to school. They have six children--Margaret E., Mary A., Catherine, Lida J., Eliza A. and Marks Thomas. After his marriage, he returned to Ireland and remained about a year. Returning to New York City, he remained a few months and in June, 1871, he moved to Columbus, Neb., where he has since resided. For several years he engaged in merchandising. In November, 1877, he was appointed policeman, serving in this position about a year and a half, when he was appointed Chief of Police, holding that office until November 15, 1881. During his term of office, no crimes or misdemeanors were committed in which the perpetrators were not promptly arrested and punished. In some of them, as is frequently the case, there was no clew to start on, but he never failed to bring the offenders to justice, showing great skill and ability as a detective. In politics, he is a Democrat, taking great interest in political affairs.
DR. J. S. McALLISTER, dentist, photographer and physician of the regular school, Columbus. He was born in Lincoln, Addison Co., Vt., in September, 1841. He enlisted in the army in June, 1861, in the Thirty-fourth New York Volunteers, and was on detached service as Hospital Steward and Assistant Surgeon. He enlisted again in Hancock's First Army Corps of Veterans, Fifth Regiment, as First Sergeant and Acting Company Commander and Major of the regiment, and was on duty at the arsenal at Washington, D. C., with his regiment, as Officer of the Day, and saw the execution of Mrs. Surratt and the other conspirators. He was afterward sent with two campanies to different parts of the New England States to do duty while the volunteers were being mustered out of service, the last place being at Fort Sandy Hook, New York Harbor, where he was acting as Post Commander. With this exception he has been practicing dentisty, photography and medicine, for twenty years, being eight years at Washington, D. C., four years at Bristol, Vt., and eight years in Columbus. As a dentist, he is a very skillful practitioner, and to this he gives the most of his attention. He is also a very skillful and successful photographer, and a very successful physician. He was married in Washington City, D. C., in 1861, and again in Vermont in 1872, and is again a widower.
MRS. R. B. McINTIRE, proprietress of a boarding-house, in which she can keep twenty guests; house was erected by her husband, R. B. McIntire. They settled in Omaha in 1868, and Mr. McIntire kept a hardware store four years; farmed in Polk County about two years, after which he came to Columbus and built their present house, in which he kept a tin shop about one year. He settled in Columbus in 1875. He was born in Knox County, Ill., January 1, 1839. He was married in Florence, Neb., July 24, 1867, to Miss Florella Cameron, who was born in Hancock County, W. Va., December 1, 1848. They have four children. named Nellie, born April 9, 1869; Robert, born October 4, 1873; Clara. born May 4, 1875; Charles, born February 24, 1877. Mr. McIntire died May 18, 1881. He was a member of the Knights of Honor. Mrs. McIntire is a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor.
JOHN M. MACFARLAND, attorney and counselor at law; also keeps a loan and collection office. Mr. M. was born near Charlestown, W. Va , January 14, 1856. He took a classic course at Princeton, W. Va., remaining four years. He began reading law in the University of Virginia; located at Charlottesville in 1876, and took a law diploma from that institution, graduating in 1877. He then entered the law office of Mr. Cleon Moore, at Charlestown, Va., where he remained one and one-half years. He was married, in the latter city, December 10, 1878, to Miss Agnes L. Forest, a native of Stanton, Va. They then started for Omaha, to take a general view of the Western world. They remained a short time in Council Bluffs, Iowa, when Mr. M. opened a law office in Omaha, where he remained only a short time, being unacquainted with the people there. He moved to Columbus in May, 1879; opened a law office, and began the practice of his profession. He does a large collection business in connection with his extensive law practice. His yearly income amounts to $4,000 from his business ,which extends throughout Platte and the adjoining counties, and especially the western counties of the State.
SAMUEL J. MARMOY, proprietor Nebraska House; can accommodate thirty guests. He first located in Omaha in October, 1858, and engaged in butchering that winter: moved to Genoa in the spring, and engaged one year in surveying reservation, etc., and was in the Government employ six months, teaching the Indians how to farm. He then moved to Lone Tree, now Central City. There were then only eight buildings in the place, between Columbus and Grand Island. In 1861, he engaged in keeping a ranch. He had to leave on account of Indians. He then went to Florence, where he lived until the spring of 1862: then farmed one year near Papillion River; then returned to Florence, and remained a short time, and went to Utah Territory, where he engaged in various occupations for some time, after which he went to Columbus, Neb., and engaged in butchering and stock dealing five years; then into dairy business, and lately in fruit and confectionery business two years; then into the hotel business, and has since followed it. He was born in London, England, July 1, 1825. Was married in his native city July 23, 1853; came to America in the same year. Mrs. M.'s maiden name was Mary Shefford, born in the same city in 1830. They have four children--Annie E., married to George N. Derry; and Mary E., married George Spooner; Sarah R. and Samuel E.
JAMES R. MEAGHER, Mayor of Columbus, and agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. He was born in Jersey City, N. J., March 1, 1839. When he was old enough, he followed steamboating on the St. Lawrence and Hudson Rivers three years; then followed the sea two years; then railroading from 1855 to 1860, inclusive. He enlisted, March 14, 1861, as a private in the First Battalion of the Sixth Kentucky Cavalry, under Col. Munday, when he was engaged in scouting through Kentucky, and parts of Tennessee and Georgia, and participated in the battle of Pittsburg Landing. While scouting, he was captured and made prisoner by the rebel guerrilla Gen. John Morgan, in August, 1862, at Columbus, Ky. He was held prisoner only a short time, and made good his escape to the Union forces. The rebels wanted him so badly that they offered $10,000 to any one who would recapture him; but they never succeeded in accomplishing that. His friends, knowing the above facts, were Capt. Brooks, Senator Cook and Tom Alexander, who were with him at the time the above reward was offered. Mr. Meagher soon received a commission as Brevet Second Lieutenant; afterward commissioned as First Lieutenant; then Adjutant, afterward Major, and finally Lieutenant Colonel, and participated in the following general engagements: Perryville, Ky., and from the retreat of Gen. Buell at Corinth, to Louisville, Ky., the cavalry did not get an hour's rest the whole time during several days. Murfreesboro, Tenn., was the next battle; then Chickamauga; also Chattanooga or Mission Ridge, Jonesboro, Nashville, Tenn. After the latter battle, they cut loose from the infantry, and went under Gen. Wilson, and participated in the battles of Tuscaloosa, Selma, Montgomery and West Point, Ala. On the 29th of April, 1865, they whipped the rebel Gen. Hill, and took two pieces of artillery at Kelley Springs. They were constantly skirmishing during nearly all of the intervening time between the above battles. Soon after their last engagement, they were met by a flag of truce, and informed of the surrender of Gen. R. E. Lee and the rebel forces, and thus ended the Colonel's fighting in the rebellion. They were mustered out at Louisville, Ky., October 18, 1865. He then went to Washington, D. C., remaining a short time. He went to Buffalo, N. Y., and remained a few months; then went to Fort Sedgwick, Colo., and engaged in government employ a short time ,and went into the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Company at Fort Fetterman, W. T., where he remained some time; then went to Fort Sanders, and from there to Denver Colo.; from there to Cheyenne, W. T., in 1867; then to Julesburg, Colo., where he engaged in the service of the Union Pacific Railroad Company as agent, where he remained from 1868 to 1870, after which he moved to Big Springs, Neb., as agent for the latter company; and, in 1873, he came to Columbus as their agent. He was elected Mayor of Columbus, Neb., in the spring of 1881.
MITCHELL & MARTYN, physicians and surgeons, and surgeons of the Union Pacific Railroad and Branches, Columbus, Neb. Have resided in Columbus since 1877, when the present firm was formed. They have been surgeons of the Union Pacific Railroad and branches in this section for the past three years.
J. E. MONCRIEF, County Superintendent of Schools of Platte County. First came to Nebraska, in May, 1876, and located at Lost Creek, where he followed farming in summer and taught school in the winter. He has followed the former occupation since. He was appointed Superintendent February 22, 1881, and was elected to the office the following fall for two years. He was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., near Ogdensburg, June 5, 1852, where he lived and attended school until he was eighteen years of age, graduating in Bryant & Stratton's Business College in the latter city in 1870, and attended the academy in the same city for some time. Lived for some time in Burlington, Kane Co., Ill., where he followed teaching, carrying United States mail, and interested in a cheese factory, where he remained until May, 1876, when he came to Nebraska. Was married, in Burlington, Ill., December 25, 1872, to Miss Rose Crips, of Columbus, Ohio. He is a member of the Masonic Order of Burlington, Ill.
PATRICK MURRAY, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Columbus, was born in Kings County, Ireland, in August 1829. He emigrated to America when eighteen years old, locating in Chester County, Penn., where he remained until 1856. He then came to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Platte County. On the 4th of July 1856, he married Miss Bridget Hennessy. He began farming and stock-raising. He raised his first crop of wheat the next year. It being buckwheat he had to take it 106 miles to get it ground. Before he proved up on his homestead he built a barn 100 feet square, paying $75 per 1,000 for his lumber, at Omaha, and hauling it to his farm with oxen. In 1865, he took a contract to put up a large quantity of hay for the Government forces. While putting it up he went to Omaha to attend the letting of a contract to furnish meat to the soldiers, leaving his wife and hands at work at the hay. During his absence, the Arapahoe Indians attacked his wife and the hands in the field, after having taken supper with them and pretending friendship. They killed his brother and wounded several others, among whom was his wife, whom they shot. They then destroyed his tent, bedding, harness, etc., and took away with them his mules and such other articles as took their fancy. As soon as he received the news at Omaha, he started home, and with a squad of soldiers went in pursuit of the Indians. The commanding officer promised to regain his property, but the Government sent Commissioners who made a treaty with the Indians, permitted them to retain the stolen property, proposing to pay the owners the value. Mr. M. filed his claim for the value of his mules and property taken by them, but has never received anything, though when he took the contract to put up the hay he had been guaranteed assistance and protection from the soldiers. However, he soon recovered from his losses, and has since been very prosperous. Starting with a homestead of 160 acres, and a pre-emption for a similar amount, he has steadily added to it, until he now owns over one thousand eight hundred acres in the Platte Valley. His home farm comprises 600 acres, with excellent improvements. He has seventy-five acres in pasture, inclosed with a good board fence. On all his farms, he has 800 acres in cultivation, which he farms himself, running seven teams. He is a very extensive dealer in live stock, keeping a herd of 300 head of cattle, and feeding 100 head for market each year. He has also nearly one thousand head of Cotswold and Southdown sheep, and a large number of hogs. At the first railroad land sale at Omaha, he purchased $4,000 worth of land, borrowing the money at the bank in Omaha to make the first payment, and getting four years' time on the rest. He returned home and started two teams to breaking prairie, continuing four weeks, and breaking 100 acres. The next spring he sowed this land in wheat. He sold nearly one thousand six hundred bushels at $1.02 per bushel, on the track at Columbus. That year he broke the remaining sixty acres of that quarter section, harvesting 1,400 bushels from it the next season. This quarter section paid in the four years the whole debt. Mr. M. is a prominent and influential member of the Catholic Church, which was the first church established in Columbus. He hauled from Omaha the lumber for the church free of charge.
FRANK J. NORTH, stock dealer and producer, of the firm of Cody & North, William T. Cody (Buffalo Bill) and Frank J. North. They now own 4,500 head of cattle, which are grazed and raised on five different ranches, embracing an area of country twenty-five miles in breadth by thirty in length, situated in the Dismal River, sixty-five miles north of North Platte City in Western Nebraska. Mr. N. was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., March 10, 1840. His parents lived there sometime, when they moved to Richland County, Ohio, and there lived until the spring of 1856. His father, Thomas J. North, made general merchandising his business while he lived in the East. They moved to Omaha, Neb., in the spring of 1856, and the father had a government contract of surveying, which he followed the first season, and after completing the same, in the fall of that year. He was appointed Superintendent of a large timber contract for Eastern parties. The following March, he was employed as Surveyor on or near the Papillion River, and, going out in the latter month, he was caught in a terrific storm, in which he perished, March 12, 1857. This sad event left Mr. Frank J. North and his mother to oversee the then extensive business begun by the deceased father, who had under his employ at the time of his death forty men. who were occupied in clearing a large tract of timber, the ground of which comprises a part of the present city of Omaha. Frank J. took charge of the work, and kep it moving along without interruption until completed. He then, with his family, in the summer of 1857, moved to Florence, a few miles above Omaha, where they lived during the fall and winter of 1857-58, and, in the following spring, the subject of this sketch went to Columbus, and the family returned to Ohio, where they lived about a year, and returned to Nebraska. Frank J. brought teams with him, and began breaking prairie as a business for some months, and did some farming; and, in the following fall, he joined a trapping party who went 125 miles west of Columbus, and established a camp, where they remained during the winter of 1858-59. The following spring, he returned to Columbus, and engaged in farming during the summer of 1859, after which he began freighting from Omaha to Cottonwood Springs. In the spring of 1860, he went to Denver, where he remained a short time; returned to Columbus, Neb., and continued freighting some time; then went on the Pawnee Reservation with a team to work for the agent at that station. Mr. N. had previously become expert in the Pawnee language, and, when the above agent learned his abilities, Mr. N. soon found a good situation in the establishment as clerk, where he remained until August, 1864, when he began the organization of a company of Pawnee scouts, who were enrolled for ninety days. After completing the organization of the scouts, he went out with them under Gen. Samuel Curtis, and served to the expiration of the time as First Lieutenant. Gen. Curtis was so favorably impressed with the company and its management that, before bidding them adieu, he promised, without any solicitation, a captain's commission to Lieut. North, which Mr. N. received October 15, 1864. He then immediately began recruiting a company of Pawnee scouts, which he completed to the full quota. They were a separate independent company. After completing arrangements, Capt. North took them to Julesburg, and there joined Gen. Connor, and went out on the Powder River campaign. The company did a great deal of scouting, and, during the season, they killed over 200 Indian enemies. North never lost a man out of his company, which his Indian scouts attributed to the influence of the Great Spirit. During the following winter, Capt. North took command of Camp Genoa, twenty-two miles west of Columbus, where he remained until the spring of 1866, when all volunteers were mustered out of service. Capt. North then returned to Columbus, and, in the fall of 1866, he was appointed trader for the Pawnee agency, where he remained until the spring of 1867. In that March, he was again called into service as major of a battalion, organizing the same and appointing the officers. They did service along the line of the Union Pacific Railroad every season until 1871, when they were mustered out. In the summer of 1871, Maj. North was given the position of post guide and interpreter for Camp Munson. In 1872, he was transferred to Fort D. A. Russell, in Wyoming Territory, where he served until December, 1875; then was transferred to Sidney Barracks, and remained in that capacity until August 5, 1876, when he received dispatches to report to Gen. Sheridan at Chicago, Ill., where he received instructions to go to the Pawnee Agency; then removed to the Indian Territory, and enlisted 100 Pawnee Indians for service in the department of the Platte. Maj. North brought them by rail to Sidney Barracks, when they were equipped for service. They were then ordered to Red Cloud Agency, where they arrived in time to participate in the capture of Chief Red Cloud and his whole tribe of warriors. They then went with Gen. Crook, in the winter campaign of 1876-77, and served during the whole campaign; returned to Sidney Barracks, and remained until the 1st of May, 1877, when they were disbanded, and returned to the Indian Territory. The Major soon after went to Omaha, and formed a copartnership with Mr. William T. Cody, familiarly known as "Buffalo Bill," under the firm name of Cody & North and embarked in the stock business as first mentioned, which they still continue. Maj. N. was married in Columbus, Neb., December 25, 1865, to Miss Mary L. Smith. She was born in Hartford County, Conn., June 3, 1845. They have one daughter--Stella G., born April 16, 1869.
[RESIDENCE OF J. E. NORTH.]
J. E. NORTH, of the firm of Speiser & North, dealers in real estate, loan and collection agents. They locate parties, and do a general business in real estate; also agents for the Union Pacific Railroad Company's Lands. Mr. North settled in Florence, Neb., in 1856, with his parents and their family. He there clerked in a store; dealt some in real estate, and lived there two years. He settled in Columbus in 1858, and first engaged in running a ferry across the Loup River, carrying overland emigration. Continued one year. Went to Colorado; engaged in mining one year, then returned to Columbus. He was married, in Columbus, in 1859 (theirs being the second marriage in Platte County), to Miss Nellie Arnold, who was born in Steuben County, N. Y. Mr. N. followed freighting from Omaha to Kearney, until the Union Pacific Railroad was completed to that point. He then engaged trading with the Indians on the Pawnee Reservation three years, after which he returned to Columbus, and engaged in his present business in 1870. He was the third Sheriff of Platte county; was County Surveyor of his county eight years, and was a member of the State Senate in the winter of 1876-77. Has also been Mayor of the City, and member of the City Council a number of years. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, No. 58, of A., F. & A. M.; also the Orient Chapter, No. 18, R. A. M. He was born in Richland County, Ohio, September 11, 1838. They have five children--Edward W., Rose L., Frank J., Mary A. and Nellie A.
JOSHUA NORTON, JR., proprietor of the Grand Pacific Hotel, which was first opened in the fall of 1879. It contains twenty-seven sleeping rooms; can accommodate fifty or sixty guests. It is a good hotel, and mine host fully understands how to cater to the wishes of his guests. Rates are $1.50 to $2.00 per day. Mr. N. was born in Boston, Mass., July 24, 1836. His occupation and business was that of a paper manufacturer and mill builder in the East, having learned the same in Maine, and was engaged in the latter business until the beginning of the rebellion, when he enlisted as First Lieutenant in the famous Clark's Rifle Company, which was composed of sharp-shooters and independent. He served in the above company one year, having command a principal part of the time. During the above service he participated in the battles of Big Bethel and Hampton, Va., and many skirmishes, and participated in the battles between the Monitor and Merrimac, having charge of a battery, and was also present at the capture of Norfolk, Va., and was all through the Penisular campaign, the battle of Antietam, being on the staff of Gen. Mansfield, who was slain in the latter battle. Mr. N. was appointed Quartermaster, and served in various positions; was also at the battle of Chancellorsville, Manassas Junction, and was stationed at Fredericksburg during that battle. He was then appointed Assistant Chief Quartermaster in the department at Washington. Was on Gen. Heintzelman's staff, and while on that duty he constructed the well-known convalescent barracks at Alexandria, Va. He was soon after stationed at Rochester, N. Y., for the purchase of cavalry horses for the government, and remained four months, after which he was ordered on duty in the army of the Cumberland, Tenn , being stationed at Chattanooga and at Nashville in the Quartermaster's Department; served until the summer of 1864, and was ordered to report to Maj.-Gen. Heintzelman as Chief Quartermaster of the Northern Department at Columbus, Ohio, and served until March 6, 1865, when he resigned. He went to Marseilles, Ill., and assisted in the building up of the new town, also built two paper mills, where he continued in business until 1874. He was in the paper business four years. and afterward as Secretary and Treasurer of the Brown & Norton Paper Company. In the summer of 1865, he went to Hastings, Neb., and followed farming four years. Kept hotel at Aurora until 1880, and, in January, 1881, moved into his present hotel. The above is simply an outlined statement of Capt. Norton's life, but a detailed statement would show a much more varied experience, both in the army and in actual business.
HERMAN P. H. OEHLRICH, firm of Oehlrich & Bros., dealers in wholesale and retai groceries, glassware and crockery, butter, eggs and poultry, corner Oliver and Eleventh streets. He settled in Grand Island in 1867, arriving July 9. He first worked at hauling grain from the latter place to Fort McPherson about one year, there engaged for parties who were dealing in grain and operating a steam flouring mill, lumber-yard and general merchandise one year. The first parties sold out and Mr. O. continued for their successors, William Goellner & Co., as book-keeper about a year, at which time a Mr. Jordan purchased the entire interest, when Mr. O. kept books for the latter party four years. He then engaged as traveling salesman for D. M. Ferry & Co., dealers in seeds, etc. Detroit, Mich., one year, selling in Dakota and the States of Iowa and Nebraska, after which he settled in Columbus, Neb., November 15, 1874, and engaged as book-keeper for Messrs. Henry & Bro. until May 1, 1879; then made an extensive sojourn to Europe, remaining until September, 1879, when he arrived in Columbus. He purchased the interest of Henry & Bro., extensive dealers in groceries and produce, and began business September 22, 1879. They have been gaining trade gradually since, and now do the most extensive trade in their line in the city. He was born in Elmshorn, State Holstein, Germany, May 17, 1852. He arrived in America June 19, 1867. He is Chief of the Fire Department of Columbus. He is also one of the oldest members of the Grand Island Liederkranz Society; also is a member of the Columbus Mænnerchor Society. He has been Treasurer of the latter society two years, and Treasurer of the Hook and Ladder Company, No. 1, of Columbus, three years.
REV. FRANKLIN PIERCE, Pastor of the Baptist Church, Columbus, Neb., was born in 1851 at East Smithfield, Bradford Co, Penn. He attended the Crozier Theological Seminary at Chester, Penn., graduating June 8, 1881, and was ordained at East Smithfield soon after. He went to Columbus in July, 1881. He was married September 5, 1881, at Greene, N. Y., to Miss Jennie M. Burgher.
MARTIN POSTLE, livery, feed and sale stable, Columbus, Neb., was born in Johnstown, Licking co., Ohio, in 1840; lived there engaged in farming and dealing in horses until he was twenty-two years old, when he went to DeKalb County, Ill., where he remained two years. He then went to Aurora, Ill., where he still has a feed and sale stable. He lived in Aurora until 1879, when he came to Columbus, Neb., engaging in his present business. His barn in known as the "Checkered Barn," and is very commodious, capable of accommodating a large number of horses. Ha does a very large business, his barn being always crowded He and John Schmocker have a large sale yard, where they sell large numbers of horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. They handle at this yard five car-loads of horses per year, and an equal amount of other live stock. They are prepared to furnish horses of all grades. Mr. Postle was married in De Kalb County, Illinois, July 6, 1862, to Miss N. A. Burwell, who is a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., but was reared in Pennsylvania. They have one child--Bertha A. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Aurora, Ill.
F. N. PRICE, Manager of the Columbus Creamery, which was organized in Columbus, Neb., November 9, 1881, with the following officers, elected November 12, 1881: M. Whitmoyer, President; H. P. Smith, Secretary; V. T. Price, Treasurer; and Carl Kramer, and W. F. Ransdell, Directors. Capital stock, $12,000, owned by D. Anderson, J. W. Early, L. Gerrard, E. A. Gerrard, J. Z. Shotwell and A. Heinrich. The main building is constructed of stone 20x40 feet, and nine and a half feet high in the clear. The boiler and engine room is 10x12 feet; also a refrigerating room 5x10 feet, and an ice house 24x44 feet; sixteen feet high. The capacity of the factory is about four thousand pounds per day. They have a steam power engine. The total cost of material machinery, including Cooley cans, is about $4,000. The above enterprise is a good one, which is calculated to advance the interests of farmers and substantial citizens of Columbus, and we bespeak for the enterprise a brilliant success.