Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Produced by Linda Werts.

Part 4


Columbus Driving Park and Fair Association.--Platte County had been some years without any fair, owing to the failure of the original county association, when a few public-spirited citizens took it upon themselves to organize a private company. The result was the incorporation of the Park and Fair Association in July, 1881. The members were G. W. Clother, Carl Kramer, Philip Cain, James E. North, John Wiggins and Robert Stewart. The capital stock was immediately subscribed and operations begun. The company bought forty acres of ground about a mile north of town, and have made substantial improvements. Thirty acres are inclosed with a tight board fence. A pavilion and other buildings necessary for protection to those bringing articles for exhibition have been erected. A fine race course has been laid out, and consider able labor expended in making it suitable for "agricultural horse trots;" $4,000 have already been expended in improvements.

The first fair of the association was held in 1881, and was largely attended and financially a success. All the premiums were paid in full, and money was left in the treasury.

The present officers of the association are: J. E. North, President; R. H. Henry, Vice President; Gus. G. Becher, Secretary ; John Wiggins, Treasurer. The Board of Directors are as follows: J. E. North, R. H. Henry, G. G. Becher, John Wiggins, John Hammond, Robert Stewart, J. G. Routsan, E. D. Shehan, G. D. Schroeder and J. W. Early.

Wildey Lodge, No. 44, I. O. O. F., was organized March 5, 1874, with the following members: G. W. Davis, Gus. A. Becher, William Cornwell, William Bloedorn, Augustus Smith, Abram Friedline, Herman Gross, Charles H. Speice, W. G. Whittaker, C. H. Davis, H. D. Caan. Meetings are held every Tuesday evening at the Odd Fellows and Masons Hall. There are sixty-seven members now. The officers are: C. Newman, N. G.; C. Needle, V. G.; G. G. Becher, Secretary; Charles H. Speice, Treasurer; H. J. Hudson, D. D. G. M.

Columbus Encampment, No. 9, I. O. O. F., was organized August 14, 1875, with the following members: D. D. Wadsworth, H. J. Hudson, E. C. Pinckney, H. C. Preston, Michael Schram, Francis G. Becher, F. Brodfuehrer, E. J. Baker, Gus. G. Becher. There are now thirty-four members. Meetings are held at the hall on the first and third Mondays of each month. The officers are: E. J. Baker, C. P.; George Davis, S. W.; H. J. Hudson, H. P.; John Huber, J. W.; M. Schram, Jr., Scribe; Charles Wake, Treasurer.

Columbus Rebecca Degree Lodge, No. 11 (I. O. O. F.), was organized February 18, 1876. Tthe charter members were D. D. Wadsworth, H. J. Hudson, John Huber, Nancy Huber, C. D. Clother, Eliza Clother, H. D. Caan, Francis I. Caan, Mattie J. Wadsworth, Joe Gross, Annie Gross, Charles A. Speice, Kate Speice and John Stauffer. The lodge membership has now increased to 103, and is the largest of any society in the place. Meetings are held in the Odd Fellows' Hall every first and third Thursdays of each month. The officers are Mrs. Huber, N. G.; Mrs. Wake, V. G.; Mrs. Mary Becher, Secretary; Mrs. C. Newman, Treasurer; Miss Lizzie Davis, Warden; Mrs. Cornwell, Conductor; Mrs. Clother, Chaplain.

Lebanon Lodge, No. 58 (A., F. & A. M.), was organized at Columbus, June 24, 1875. The charter members were Marshal Smith, Henry P. Coolidge, Robert H. Henry, John M. Kelley, George E. Drake, William Hunneman, Charles H. Davis, Albert J. Arnold, Orson E. Stearns, Adam McPherson, Samuel A. Bonesteel, John G. Compton, Julius Rasmussen, John W. Early, Ole Oleson, Joseph A. Baker and Augustus Lockner. The present membership is forty-nine. The officers of the Charles E. Speice, M.; J. D. Brewer, S. W.; Julius Rasmussen, J. W.; John Wermuth, Sec.; J. P. Becker, Treas.; H. P. Coolidge, S. D.; J. J. Slattery, J. D.; T. H. Saunders, Tiler; John W. Early and Augustus Lockner, Stewards.

Harmony Lodge, No. 13 (Eastern Star), was organized June 19, 1876. The charter members were Emily P. Hood, Agnes Smith, Eunice Baker, Kittie L. Bonesteel, Theda M. Coolidge, Josie M. Compton, Celia L. Stillman, Louisa Bonesteel, Mary E. Becher, Minnie Drake, Mary A Early, Kate Hunneman; Maggie Meagher and Jane A. North. The present membership is fifty. Meetings are held monthly. The officers are Mrs. Kittie L. Bonesteel, W. M.; H. P. Coolidge, W. P.; J. D. Brewer, Treasurer; Jim F. Wermuth, Secretary.

Orient Chapter, No. 18 (R. A. M.), was organized December 17, 1879. The charter members were Gustavus G. Becher, John P. Becher, Loran C. Clark, Albert W. Crites, John W. Early, Robert H. Henry, William Hunneman, James R. Meagher, Adelbert L. Nickerson, James E. North, Alfred M. Post, Julius Rasmussen, Thomas H. Saunders, Fritz M. Sackett, Marshal Smith and Charles B. Stillman. Meetings are held on the second Friday in each month at the hall which is located in the second story of Marshal Smith's block. The hall was purchased by the Masons and Odd Fellows together for $2,050, and is beautifully furnished by the societies. It is used by all the societies connected with these orders. The present membership of the society is twenty. The officers are Marshal Smith, H. P.: Alfred M. Post, K.; Charles B. Stillman, Scribe; R. H. Henry, C. H.; James E. North, P. S.; James R. Meagher, R. A. C.; J. W. Early, 3rd V.; Julius Rasmussen, 2d V.; Charles A. Speice, 1st V.; Gustavus G. Becher, Scribe; John P. Becker, Treasurer; John T. Wermuth, Guard.

Mystic Council (Royal Arcanum), was organized July 25, 1878. The charter members were Will B. Dale, Albert A. Smith, Will J. Collins, C. B. Stillman, H. J. Hudson, E. L. Siggins, I. J. Slattery, A. E. Young and George W. Clother. There are now forty-four members, and meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month. The officers are I. J. Slattery, Regent; W. A. McAllister, Vice Regent; James Galley, Past Regent; L. J. Cramer, Secretary; G. H. Krause, Treasurer, W. A. McAllister, Collector; H. J. Hudson, Orator.

Fidelity Council, No. 228, Legion of Honor, was organized July 1, 1880. The original members were John Tannahil, T. E. Mitchell, M. D., D. T. Martin, M. D., Guy C. Barnum, A. A. Smith, Carl Kramer, Jacob Schram and William B. Dale. The present membership is ten. Meetings are held every second Thursday evening. The present officers are: John Tannahil, Commander; T. E. Mitchell, Secretary; A. A. Smith, Collector; D. T. Martin, Treasurer; Guy C. Barnum, Past Commander; F. George, Sr., Chaplain; Carl Kramer, Orator; George W. Hulst, Guide; Jacob Schram, Warden; Josephine Tannahil, Sentry.

There is also a flourishing lodge of Knights and Ladies of Honor, of which the charter members were Charles Wake, Emma Wake, R. B. McIntire, Flonella McIntire, A. A Smith, A. M. Jennings, Sarah J. Jennings, John Wiggins, Rose D. Wiggins, George W. Clother, Lizzie Shannon, Jennie H. Small, Theda M. Coolidge, Moses K. Turner, Henry P. Coolidge, Henry L. Small, David T. Martyn.

Friendship Council, No. 14 (Home Circle), was organized in March, 1880. The charter members were: Mrs. Crew, Mrs. Davis, Mrs. Dale, Mrs. Becher, Mrs. Rickly, J. Gregorious, Mrs. J. Gregorious, Joe Gross, Mrs. Joe Gross, Herman Gross, Mrs. Herman Gross, Mrs. Snell, J. H. Galley, Albert Smith, Howard Smith, Mrs. Albert Smith, Dr. E. L. Siggins, W. T. Rickly, Will McAllister, I. J. Slattery and Mrs. I. J. Slattery. The present membership is twenty-six; meetings are held monthly. The present officers are: H. J. Hudson, Leader; Mrs. Becher, Vice Leader; W. T. Rickly, Guide; Mrs. Slattery, Treasurer; Mrs. Bingham, Warden and Mrs. Rickly, Instructor.

Monitor Lodge, No. 879 (K. of H.), was organized February 5, 1878. The charter members were Robert Uhlig, D. C. Loveland, W. J. Collins, C. B. Stillman, Albert A. Smith, Arthur M. Jennings, Frank F. Sanborn, William B. Dale, Henry P. Coolidge, John Wiggins, Lewis M. Saley, James R. Meagher. The present membership is twenty-nine; meetings are held on the second and fourth Fridays of each month.

The officers are: C. H. Matthews, D.; G. W. Clother, V. D.; L. Schwartz, A. D.; H. P. Coolidge, Reporter; C. B. Stillman, F. R.; H. P. Smith, Treasurer.

A library association is in process of formation. It is the intention to establish a city library, and several of the most influential citizens of Columbus are taking hold of the project.

Columbus Maennerchor was organized September 2, 1879, for the purpose of entertainment and musical culture. There are thirty-eight members, and meetings are held twice a week. Concerts are given by the society during the winter. The society owns over $1,000 of musical instruments. The officers are E. Pohl, Leader; John Stauffer, President; David Schupbach, Secretary; H. Oelrich, Treasurer.

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union was organized at Columbus September 3, 1877. Meetings have been held regularly every two weeks since that time. Thus far the efforts of the society have been restricted to the spread of temperance literature, and the procuring of public speakers. The present membership is thirty. The officers are: Mrs. Leander Gerrard, President; Mrs. Samuel C. Smith, Treasurer; Mrs. E. A. Gerrard, Secretary.

The Woman's Suffrage Association of Columbus was organized October 17, 1881. Its object is to assist in the agitation for a constitutional amendment. Meetings are held every two weeks. The present membership is twenty. The officers are Mrs. Dr. Longshore, President; Mrs. C. A. Smith, Vice President; Mrs. Leander Gerrard, Secretary; Miss Nellie Apgar, Treasurer.


A. J. ARNOLD, dealer in watches, clocks and jewelry, silver and plated ware, guns, ammunition, and Wheeler & Wilson sewing machines; established in 1865. He also has two farms, and deals in fine blooded stock. He came to Nebraska in 1857, and located at Florence, a few miles above Omaha, on the Missouri River, where he remained during the winter, and the following spring came to Columbus, took a claim, and in the spring of 1858 permanently located in Columbus. In the spring and summer of 1858, he was employed in sawing lumber, and in the fall took charge of the old emigrant ferry, and remained in that business until May 11, 1859. He went to Gregory's Point, now Central City, Colo., where he engaged in mining, and in that vicinity, South Park, etc. until the fall of 1859, when he returned, but went out again in the spring of 1860 and engaged as before until 1861, and returned to Columbus in the winter of 1861. He went on East, and in the following spring returned with his mother and sister from North Vernon, Ind. In the spring of 1862, he joined private raids and fought the Indians, who were then massacreing the white settlers. In the summer of 1864, he received orders to raise company of cavalry for Col. O. P. Mason's battalion of cavalry, making his headquarters at Fort Kearney. He recruited nearly a company and turned the men over to Capt. Porter, and he was assigned to the command of Company C. Seventh Iowa Cavalry, by order of Gen. R. B. Mitchell, Mr. A. being put in as First Lieutenant. He was then engaged in fighting the Sioux Indians, in which he was very successful, the most important event being the surrender of the Sioux Indians, consisting of twenty-five lodges. He served until December, 1864, but was frequently on Indian raids afterward. He received Assistant Provost Marshal's commission August 7, in 1864, for Western Nebraska, with headquarters at Fort Kearney. Mr. A. has never yet been mustered out of service. He was born in Tyrone, Steuben Co, N. Y., August 23, 1831. Was married in Monmouth, Ill., April 26, 1865, to Miss Amanda Polly, a native of Youngstown, Ohio. They have four sons--Henry J., Albert G., Arthur and Evans.

[View of stock yards.]

DAVID ANDERSON, stock dealer, Columbus, was born in Philadelphia in 1832, living there until 1859, when he went to Pike's Peak, remaining in the mountains and on the plains for two years. He then returned to Nebraska, locating six miles east of Columbus, engaging in farming for sixteen years. In 1877, he began dealing in live stock, and has followed that business since that time, handling 1,500 to 2,000 head of cattle, and as high as 240 cars of hogs per year. He is one of the Directors of the Columbus Pork Packing Company, and is a stockholder in the Columbus Creamery Company. He was married, in Natchez, Miss., in 1854, to Miss Mary E. Deaver, who was born in Emmettsburg, Md. They have three children--Laura (who married Benjamin Spielman, Sheriff of Platte County, Neb.), Ida (who is the wife of Charles Lightfoot, and is now living at Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory), and Emma, who is with her patents. Mr. A. is one of the pioneers of the West.

EDWARD J. BAKER, was born in Wayne County, Penn., in 1842, where he lived until 1861; then came West to Fort Madison, Iowa: remained there until 1865. At the close of the war engaged in the mercantile business in Jackson, Tenn., for five years. In 1870 he came to Columbus, Neb., and engaged in the grain and merchandise business which he has prosecuted successfully for a number of years, adding to that trade the cattle business, his ranch for the latter being located on the Loup River. He is also connected with the wholesale grocery house of Baker & Johnson, Cheyenne, Wyoming. In 1871, he married Miss Mary W. Jones, a native of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, who died in 1876, leaving three children--Mary, Gertrude and Edward. He is a member of Wildey Lodge, No. 49, I. O. O. F, at Columbus.

GUS G. BECHER & CO., dealers in real estate, loan and general insurance agents, representing over twenty fire companies and three li e insurance companies, the leading in the world. They do a large loan business, and have one of the most complete set of abstract records in the State. They did business to the amount of over $75,000 in 1881.

BECKER & WELCH, proprietors of the Shell Creek Mills, Colfax Co., P. O. Columbus; was built in 1869 by J. P. Becker and Jonas Welch, and has been operated by them since that time. It is run by water-power; has four run of stone and a capacity of 300 bushels of wheat per day. Jonas Welch was born at Dorsetshire, Eng., in 1840. When he was seven years of age, his parents emigrated to America, locating and living in Macoupin County, Ill. until 1857, when they moved to Nebraska. They located at Genoa on the Pawnee Reservation, living there until the spring of 1870. For twelve years the subject of this sketch was in the employ of the Government, having charge of the Agency Mill. He was married, at Genoa, in 1862, to Miss Margaret Shackelton, who is a native of England. They have eight children living--Theresa Ellen, William J., Nettie, Caroline, Elizabeth, Martha, Charles, Robert M. He is a member of Wildey Lodge, No. 44, I. O. O. F.

WILLIAM BECKER, dealer in general line of family groceries, stone and wooden ware and farmers' produce, doing a monthly business of $1,500. Began business in December, 1877. He located in Columbus in March, 1863. Worked at shoemaking and carried on a shop of his own four years. He was also employed by his brother, J. P. Becker, in the grocery and grain business, and finally bought a grocery stock, which he has since conducted. He was born in Columbus, Ohio, July 20, 1842. Came direct from there to Columbus, Neb. He has made several visits to the former place, and there took a course in book-keeping and commercial education. He was married in Columbus, Nebr. in November, 1874, to Miss Sophia Reese, a native of Germany, born January 17, 1856. They have two children--Anna E., born December 12, 1876, and Karl A., born January 30, 1880. He is a member and Treasurer of fire department.

PHILIP B. BONESTEEL, was born in Canada December 29, 1849. He was married, April, 1875, to a very estimable lady, Miss Kittie L. Dale, who was born in Watertown, N. Y., August 27, 1852. Mr. B. came to Nebraska in 1868, and settled at Columbus in March of that year. He engaged in farming about a year, after which he embarked in the mercantile business, keeping a dry goods store, in which business he was very successful up to the time of his death, which occurred September 8, 1878. They have one daughter--Pearl B., born March 4, 1876. Mr. B. was a member of the higher orders of Masonry; also a worthy member of the Knights of Honor. He was an active member of the Columbus Fire Department.

DR. SAMUEL A. BONESTEEL, allopathic physician and surgeon, located in Columbus in 1868, where he has since been in active practice, which amounts to from $4,000 to $6,000 per year. He was born in British North America, Ontario Province, March 22, 1842. He graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Michigan, March 27, 1867, located at Detroit. He also graduated from the Medical Department of the McGill University , in Montreal, Canada, March 31, 1881, where he took the degree of M. D.; subsequently he has taken the degree of M. C., since which he has returned to his wide and increasing practice. He was married in Columbus, July 4, 1871, to Miss Louisa D. Weaver, who was born in Columbus, Ohio. They have two children--Arthur E and Gertrude L. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic Commandery Lodge at Fremont, Neb. He is also a member of all the subordinate lodges from that down to the starting point; also a member of the Lodge of the Eastern Star or Adopted Right. He is also an active member of the Nebraska State Medical Society of Lincoln; also of the Medical Society of Omaha.

GEORGE B. BOWMAN, attorney and counselor at law, of Columbus, established in practice in the latter city in the fall of 1879. He settled in Columbus June 1, 1879. He owns a farm near the city, which he oversees and has a good law practice in Nebraska. He was born in Wyandot county, Ohio, January 6, 1849, where he remained until he was sixteen years of age, and entered the Oberlin College of Ohio, which he attended five years. He then returned home and soon after entered the law office of Grisell & Kail, of Upper Sandusky, Ohio, and remained two years, when he was admitted to the bar. He then began the practice of law and soon after formed a copartnership with W. F. Pool, under the firm name of Bowman & Pool, which was continued until the spring of 1879, at which time he came to Nebraska. He was married to Miss Clara Burke, September 10, 1874, of Cleveland, Ohio. She is the daughter of Mr. Stephenson Burke, of the latter city, a noted railroad man. They have two children--Thomas Burke, born June 4, 1876, and Parthenia P., born April 20, 1878.

J. D. BREWER, engineer, Columbus, Neb., was born near Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1849. He began to learn the business of engineer and millwright when seventeen years old. He came to Nebraska in 1866, locating in Omaha, where for one year he was employed as carpenter. He afterward went to Grand Island and built a steam flouring mill. In March, 1868, he first located at Columbus and there built a mill. The next year he built mills on Shell Creek and Central City, and assisted in the erection of a mill at Norfolk. He then returned to Columbus and engaged in the carpenter business one season. After building a mill on the Pawnee Reservation, he engaged in farming about four years, in Madison County. He then went to Texas, remaining nearly a year. For the past four years he has been Superintendent and engineer at the Union Pacific elevator in Columbus. He is a member of Lebanon Lodge No. 58, A., F. & A. M., at Columbus. He was married January 23, 1870, to Miss Jennie C. Rogers, who was born at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.

BRINDLEY & FROM, dealers in cigars, confectionery, etc., Columbus. The firm was established in May, 1881, dealing in cigars, tobacco, confectionery, etc.; also keeping a large billiard and pool room in connection. H. G. Brindley was born in Alton, Ill. in November 1853. His parents moved to Nebraska, locating on a farm twenty-two miles west of Columbus, when he was but four years old. He was employed by the United States Government on the Pawnee Reservation, and afterward moved to Columbus, where he engaged in the business of draying and dealing in ice, employing three teams. He is a member of Wildey Lodge, No. 44. I. O. O. F. Christopher From was born in Center County, Penn., in 1854. He came to Nebraska in May, 1872, locating in Butler County, engaging in farming about six years. He came to Columbus in 1878, remaining a few months. He then went to Wyoming Territory, remaining nearly a year, when he returned to Columbus, and in May, 1881, he began his present business in partnership with H. G. Brindley.

WILLIAM BUCHER, dealer in liquors and cigars, Columbus, was born in Canton of Aargau, Switzerland, in 1852, emigrating to America in 1877. For one year after his arrival he was employed by his brother in Columbus, Neb., when he purchased his brother's interest and has since conducted the business himself. He was married at Columbus in 1879, to Miss Katie Kumpf, who was born in Platte County, Neb. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum and the Columbus Mænnerchor.

C. M. CHAMBERS, ticket agent of the Burlington & Missouri River Railway, Columbus, Neb., was born in Hawley, Wayne Co., Penn. in 1851. His parents moved to Pawnee County, Neb., in 1858, since which time he has resided in Nebraska and Kansas. For the past nine years he has been in the employ of the Atchison & Nebraska Railway and has been at Columbus, Neb., since the station was opened in June, 1880. He is also agent of the American Express Company. He was married in November, 1872, at Table Rock, Neb., to Miss Maggie E. Allison, who was a native of Pennsylvania. She died in May, 1881, leaving four children--Grace, Mac, Mable and Madge.

A. W. CLARK, farmer, Section 4, Town 17, Range 1, P. O. Columbus, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1839, living there until 1848, when his parents moved to La Salle County, Ill., where he lived until January, 1880. He enlisted at Ottawa, Ill., in Company B, Fifty-third Illinois Volunteers, as musician; was promoted to Chief Musician and afterward to Sergeant Major, serving until the spring of 1865, when he was discharged at Savannah, Ga. He was in nearly all the battles fought by the Army of the Cumberland, and was with Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea. He was married in La Salle County, Ill. in 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Westcott, who is a native of Oneida County, N. Y. They have five children--Fannie, Addie, Otis, Clarence and Eugene. In January, 1880, he removed to Nebraska, purchasing his present farm, consisting of eighty-one acres, all of which is under cultivation, except ten acres which is in pasture, meadow land and timber. He is well prepared for farming, having all necessary machinery. He is a member of the Masonic order.

[Clother Residence.]

C. D. CLOTHER, proprietor Clother House, which hotel he erected in the spring of 1868, and opened the following June. It contains forty sleeping rooms, and they can accommodate one hundred guests; employ fifteen persons about the hotel, and they do an average monthly business of from $1,200 to $1,800 per month. Mr. Clother first located in Columbus in the spring of 1859, and worked at the carpenter and joiner trade, chopped cord wood, etc. until 1862, when he went on a claim two miles west of the village site, where he followed farming and keeping a stock ranch about six years. He then moved to Columbus, built and opened the Clother House. He has been Sheriff of Platte county two years; was born in Saratoga County N. Y., October 9, 1809. He was married in New York in 1831, to Miss Anna Judd, who was born in the latter State. She died in 1849. He was again married in 1851, to Eliza Elwell, a native of Massachusetts. He had six children by his first wife--Freelove, now living in New York; Asa J., living in the South; Elizabeth, now deceased; George W., in company with his father in the Clother House; Ransom, who died in the army, and Columbia D., now engaged with the Union Pacific railroad. Mr. Clother has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1836. He has seen much of pioneer life of Nebraska; his experience would fill a good sized volume. He is one of the stanch old pioneers of Platte County, Neb.

GEORGE W. CLOTHER, proprietor of the Clother House, settled in Platte County, Nebraska, in 1859, crossing the Missouri River November 9, 1859. He has always been with his father, C. D. Clother, consequently has been identified with his experiences to a more or less extent. George W. was engaged in the lumber business in 1877 and a portion of 1878, since which he has been in the Clother House overseeing the same. He also now does an extensive fur business, buying, selling and trading with the native Indians, and also speaks their language. He handles on an average $3,000 worth of furs and robes annually. He was born at Saratoga Springs, N. Y., July 19, 1838; was married in London, Canada West, October 16, 1871, to Miss Hannah Mathews, who was born near London, Canada. They have two children living--Enor Blanch; Echo May, deceased, and George W., Jr., living. Mr. C. is a member of the Knights of Honor Lodge, No. 879, and the Knights and Ladies of Honor, with his wife, Lodge No. 271.

H. P. COOLIDGE, tinsmith, was born in Tazewell County, Ill., October 6, 1835. His parents lived there until 1846, and in June of that year they went to Bellevue, Neb., arriving on the 19th of that month, but they stopped there only about three months and removed to near Council Bluffs, Iowa, and in the spring of 1848, moved to Mills County, same State, where the father Joseph W. Coolidge, erected a grist and saw mill, and in the fall bought a stock of goods where they remained in business until the winter of 1850, when the county seat of Mills County--Glenwood--was laid out, in which Mr. C. became one of the proprietors of the town site. The county seat was located by a special act of the Iowa Legislature. His parents lived there for many years; the father died January 13, 1871, in the latter place. The mother is now living at Ida Grove, Iowa. The subject of this sketch left there in 1859, and went to Colorado, where he engaged in the tin business, mining, etc., and returned in 1862. He enlisted June 16, 1863, in Company I, Eighth Regiment Iowa Cavalry, first as private. His promotions were Orderly Sergeant and Second Lieutenant. He served until September 30, 1865, and was mustered out at Macon, Ga., but received his final discharge at Clinton, Iowa. He was in many engagements. Beginning in the winter of 1863, they guarded the Northwestern Railroad from Nashville to Waverly, Tenn. In the spring of 1864, they went to Cleveland, Tenn., where they were in continual fighting and skirmishing through Tennessee and Georgia. They were returned to Nashville, Tenn., and the command was sent to guard Hood's movements at Muscle Shoals, on the Tennessee River, and to give a faint idea of the fighting in which he participated, it is only necessary to state that there were twenty-seven ball holes found in a blouse which he wore in the battle of Newnan, Ga., July 28, 1864. We will not further attempt a rehearsal of the many battles of which he was a participant, but it is only due to him to state that he was in continual fighting for months, and made many hairbreadth escapes from death. After his discharge, he returned to Glenwood, Iowa, and soon after moved to the Pawnee Reservation, in Nance County, Neb., where he was in the Government employ about three years. He then removed to Columbus. He then engaged in the hardware business, beginning in February, 1868, and continued until the same month in 1875. He then sold agricultural implements some time; then engaged in the tinsmith trade. He was married in Glenwood, Iowa, August 5, 1857, to Miss Theda M. Wheeler, who was born in Flowerfield, St. Joseph Co., Mich. They have five children--Joseph W., Harry P., Charles B., William E. and Albert L. He was a member of the Masonic order of Glenwood, Iowa, in 1856, and is a charter member of Lebanon Lodge, No. 58, of Columbus, Neb. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor No. 879.

Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index