Part 2: Indian Raids and Massacre | Organization
The Credit Foncier | Means of Communication
Part 3: Columbus: Schools | The Press
Columbus Fire Department | Public Buildings | Business
Banks | Churches
Part 4: Columbus (cont.): Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 5: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 7: Columbus (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 8: Other Stations: Biographical Sketches:
Lost Creek Precinct | Humphrey Precinct
Sherman Precinct | Creston Precinct | Monroe Precinct
List of Illustrations in Platte County Chapter
[View of Columbus.]
Columbus was incorporated as a town by special act of the Territorial Legislature, approved February 11, 1865. It was incorporated as a city of the second class under the laws of the State, August 18, 1873. The legality of the incorporation was questioned, however. and, in 1877, a special law was passed bridging over the trouble. Its present municipal officers are as follows: Mayor, James R. Meagher; President of the Council, John Rickly; Councilmen--First Ward, John Rickly, G. A. Schroeder; Second Ward, William Lamb, Israel Gluck; Third Ward, Julius Rasmussen, Albert A. Smith; Police Judge, George G. Bowman; Attorney, John J. Sullivan; Clerk, Henry J. Hudson; Treasurer, John F. Wermuth; Engineer, L. J. Cramer; Chief of Police, John C. McMahon; Overseer of Streets, Charles Brindley.
Columbus is a city of 2,500 inhabitants and has become an important and a growing railroad center, as has been previously shown. Aside from being a fine business point, it has obtained quite a reputation for its sociability and culture. It has flourishing newspapers, good schools, a multitude of societies and possesses every feature of a city which has settled down to a long career of prosperity.
A meeting was held in the American Hotel March 5, 1860, at which J. Rickly, M. Weaver and G. W. Stevens were chosen a School Board. In October of that year, at the first enumeration, it was ascertained that there were forty-six males and twenty females in the county, of which thirty-five scholars resided east and thirty-one west of the Sixth Principal Meridian. In December, the town board made a present of the old "Company House" for a district school building. The edifice, a log hut with grass roof, stood on the Bremer Brewery Block and was sold to Charles A. Speice, in March, for $20.25. G. W. Stevens received a school order for $67.45, his pay being at the rate of $1 per day, and he is honored by being the first schoolteacher and a faithful one, although he had such pupils to contend with as the Ricklys, Wolfels, Ernsts, Etc., etc.
In the spring of 1865, the public schools of Columbus were placed in charge of a Superintendent, I. N. Taylor; G. W. Stevens, Secretary and Librarian; H. J. Hudson, C. A. Speice, M. Weaver and Johanna Bauer, teachers. Like the day school, it was held in the town hall, which building was afterward purchased by the Latter Day Saints.
In 1873, the brick schoolhouse (District No. 1) was erected. It is located in the eastern part of town, on the old site, and when built cost $7,000, and has proved very serviceable and commodious for school purposes. There are four rooms in the building, having together a seating capacity for 220 scholars. This soon proved to be too small to accommodate the growing wants of the town, and, in 1878, another building was erected in the western part of town. This is of wood and contains four rooms together, having a seating capacity for 175 scholars. In 1881, still another department was added to the schools, and a small building, formerly the Congregational Church, was rented to accommodate the wants of the high school. Besides the schools in the city, there is one located about two and a half miles north of town, which is also maintained by the district and is under the control of the city board.
The management of all the schools is in the hands of C. A. Speice, W. Burgess, A. M. Post, Marshall Smith, W. A. McAllister and J. G. Higgins, who constitute the School Board. C. A. Speice is President, and W. Burgess, Secret ry. The Superintendent of the schools is Prof. H. L. McGinitie. His main duty consists in watching the various departments and teaching a few classes. Prof. L. J. Cramer is teacher of the high school department. The average attendance of the high school is twenty-five. In each of the other buildings are four departments. In the brick schoolhouse, Miss Anna Coolidge is teacher of the Grammar Department; Miss Rose L. North of the Intermediate; Miss Rose Rickly of the First Primary, and Mrs. H. E. Ballou of the Second Primary. The average attendance is 215. In the wooden schoolhouse, Miss Bertha Wood is teacher of the Grammar Department; Miss M. E. McGath of the Intermediate; Miss Emma Bauer of the First Primary, and Miss Anna L. Gilbert of the Second Primary. The attendance at this school is 150. Miss Sarah Fitzgerald is teacher of the school north of town. The wages received by each of these teachers is $350 per annum, thus making the total expense of the city for teachers $4,750 for the year. The financial condition of the schools is excellent, and the last tax levied for their support was only 1½ mills on the dollar.
The first paper published in Columbus was the Golden Age, its first number being issued June 21, 1866, C. C. Strawn editor and proprietor. Twelve numbers completed the limit of its usefulness. O. T. B. Williams next established the Platte Valley Journal, which was followed in a year by the Columbus Journal, managed then and now by M. K. Turner & Co. Its first number was issued May 11, 1870, and it appeared as a six-column folio. It is now an eight-column folio, home print and with home interests. Connected with it is a good job office. The whole establishment is roomy and well arranged. The Journal is Republican in politics and exerts a decided influence in the city and county. It is edited and owned by M. K. & A. C. Turner.
Columbus Gazette.--The first number of the Columbus Gazette, now in its second volume, was published on March 1, 1881, by William Burgess, editor and proprietor. Emerson J. Potts was the proprietor of a good book and job office, opened in 1878, and during a portion of 1879-80, he published a six-column paper called The Independent. This office was purchased by Mr. Burgess and family, and they soon after started the Gazette. While independent on public questions, this paper is Republican in political bias, and takes a decided position in favor of temperance, woman's suffrage, Indian civilization, progressive education and salutary reforms.
In May, 1875, Frank P. Burgess started the Columbus Republican, an eight-column folio, which obtained a good local circulation, and said paper was continued successfully for over a year, when in 1877, he sold the office to Calmer McCune, who removed it to David City, and started the David City Republican.
The Columbus Democrat was established as the Era, in February, 1874, W. N. Hensley, editor and proprietor. The paper was continued until November, 1880. For a few months there was no publication. On April 9, 1881, the first number of the Democrat appeared, under the management of A. B. & J. K. Coffroth. The former has editorial control. The Democrat is a seven-column folio, and is Democratic in politics, as its name implies. On account of its increased and increasing patronage, it is proposed to increase the size.
The first organization effected for protection against fire was the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company No. 1. This was incorporated March 11, 1874. A hook and ladder truck was purchased by the city at an expense of $1,800. Shortly after this, in August, 1874, the Columbus Engine Company No. 1, was organized, and received from the city a hand engine, which cost $2,000. In addition to this, it now possesses a good hose cart and 1,000 feet of hose. Both companies occupy a brick building situated in the public square, which was built expressly for the purpose, by the city at an expense of $2,000. The present membership of the Hook and Ladder Company is eighteen, and the officers are: Baron Millet, President; George Fairchild, Foreman; Myron McAllister, First Assistant; D. M. Minert, Secretary; Herman Oehlrich, Treasurer. There are forty active members in the Engine Company, and the officers are: E. D. Shehan, Foreman; Julius Rasmussen, First Assistant, and Charles Wake, Foreman of the hose cart. The whole department is under the charge of Herman Oehlrich.
The Opera House.--Columbus Music Hall Association was organized May 28, 1878. The incorporators were W. H. Hunneman, Speice & North, I. Gluck, V. Kummer, Mrs. Rose Kummer, Michael Schram, F. Brodfuehrer, Wadsworth & Slaerffer, Charles Schroeder, E. W. Toncray, A. N. Briggs, Alph Heintz, Frances G. Becher. The capital stock was set at $5,000. In September, 1878, the Opera House was completed. It is a large wooden building, located in the southeastern part of town. The seating capacity is 500. The stage is fully supplied with curtains, scenery, etc. The cost of the building as it now stands has been over $4,000. J. E. North is President of the company and C. A. Speice, Secretary.
The first hotel erected in Columbus was built and owned by the Town Company. It cost $5,000, and its landlord was J. L. Baker, who threw open its doors to the public in August, 1857. The building was located a few blocks south of the court house, and was a two-story frame building, then considered to be of quite mammoth proportions. Its frame work is now a portion of the skeleton of the Grand Pacific Hotel.
The Clother House.--This hotel is one of the finest in Columbus. It is located north of the Union Pacific depot one block, and in the center of the business in that part of town. It was built in 1869, by C. D. and G. W. Clother, who have continued as proprietors since that date. The building is of wood, two stories high, having a front of eighty-two feet and a depth of seventy-six. There are accommodations for seventy guests. The management of the house has been very successful, and no hotel in the city is more popular with the traveling public.
The Grand Pacific Hotel.--This house was built in the fall of 1879, by George Lehman. It was opened by Charles Pruyn and run until October. It was then unoccupied until March 1880, when Mr. Lehman opened it himself, and ran it until January 1, 1881. At that date, Capt. Joshua Norton, Jr., the present proprietor, rented the house. The management has been successful, and the house is one of the first-class hotels of the place. The building is of brick, located in the southern part of the town, near the Union Pacific Depot, and was erected at an expense of $5,000. Its dimensions are forty-two by ninety-eight feet, two and a half stories high. There are accommodations for fifty guests.
The Hammond House.--This was the first hotel located in Columbus and has an interesting history. It was erected at Cleveland by the town company. In 1866, George Francis Train, in connection with his vast schemes for the settlement of this country, put the hotel upon rollers and located it where it now stands "in the exact center of the universe." It is said that the hotel cost $30,000 when finished. All the lumber was hauled from Florence, at a cost of over $100 per thousand. The painting cost $1,800 and the plastering $1,000. By contract, Train reserved one room for the use of the President of the United States, and one subject to the order of the President of the Union Pacific Railroad. The hotel, however, has nearly become forgotten, except as close scrutiny reveals faint traces of the letters under the last coat of paint. It afterward passed through the hands of I. N. Taylor, C. D. Clother, Able Coffee, Mrs. Flowers, James Hudson and E. V. Clark, and finally in April, 1873, came into the possession of the present proprietor, John Hammond. It has been run very successfully as a cheap hotel, and has a large patronage.
The business history of Columbus commences with the opening of its first store by Gustavus Becher. The building was located corner of Seventh street and Washington avenue, one portion thereof being devoted to mercantile pursuits, and the other to those incident to eating and sleeping. Across the street another store was opened by John Rickly soon after, in 1857; Jacob Ernst was the first blacksmith. The saw-mill erected by the town company, and the establishment of the post office, the building of the American Hotel, and other events of a like character, soon gave Columbus quite a business-like appearance. When the railroad was put through in 1866 the business of the town commenced to center around the depot of the Union Pacific farther south, and in 1869 the real rush which may be said to have "founded the city upon a rock," commenced. From that time on, its growth has been both substantial and steady. Below will be found its representative houses in all lines.
[View of Columbus State Bank.]
COLUMBUS STATE BANK.
Columbus State Bank.--In July, 1871, Leander Gerrard and Julius A. Reed opened a bank in the north side of town. In May, 1874, Abner Turner and Geo. W. Hulst opened another on the south side. In July, the two banks organized under the present name. The articles of incorporation were filed July 28, 1875, and were signed by the following stockholders: Leander Gerrard, Julius A. Reed, Abner Turner, George W. Hulst and Edward A. Gerrard.
The capital stock is $50,000. The business is conducted in the fine brick building of Turner & Hulst. The present officers are: Leander Gerrard, President; George W. Hulst, Vice President; Abner Turner, Cashier; Julius A. Reed and Edward A. Gerrard, remaining members of the Board of Trustees.
Anderson & Roen's Bank was established in September, 1880. It is a private bank, and, though a young institution, does a prosperous business. A. Anderson and O. T. Roen are both known in Columbus as sound business men.
[View of Columbus Packing Company.]
COLUMBUS PACKING COMPANY.
The Columbus Packing Company.--The first move made toward a pork packing establishment in Columbus was the private enterprise of Charles F. Elias in 1879. In 1881, efforts were made to enter into a more extensive business, and October 17 a company was organized with $50,000 capital consisting of the following members: John Wiggins, David Anderson, Samuel D. Cory, R. H. Henry and Leander Gerrard. The building was completed and ready for operations in November of the same year. It is a frame building, inside walls of brick. The main part is 40x70 feet; the L attached is 24x24 feet, the whole building being two stories in height. Its location is advantageous for shipping purposes, being just at the crossing of the Union Pacific and Burlington & Missouri Railroads, about a mile east of town. The capacity of the establishment is 250 hogs per day. An average of fifteen men are constantly employed, and the business is under the charge of S. D. Cory. Thus far the enterprise has proved very successful; 8,000 hogs have already been slaughtered since operations were begun, and the establishment is run to its fullest capacity. The company is now engaged in constructing smoke houses and store rooms, and will soon begin to ship sugar-cured meats as well as salted. The company now contemplates the enlargement of the packing house in the summer, to a capacity of 500 hogs per day. The change is demanded by the large supply of stock in the county and vicinity, as well as by the ready sale which the product finds in the Southern market, whence it is largely shipped. The officers of the company are R. H. Henry, President; John Wiggins, Secretary and Treasurer.
The Columbus Elevator was built in 1868 by Francis A. Hoffman, and was run originally as a steam mill. In 1874, it was sold to a company consisting of Turner, Hulst, Baker and Becker. In 1876, Mr. Baker bought it from the company, and has since run it as an elevator. Its capacity is 15,000 bushels. It is situated on the B. & M. track, between the U. P. and Becker's elevator.
The Union Pacific Round-House.--The Union Pacific Railroad Company is just completing a very fine round-house at Columbus. It is of brick, and its dimensions are 50x60 feet, 20 feet high at the eaves. It will hold four engines when completed. In connection, is one of the finest turn tables on the road. The iron castings weigh forty tons. The bed is entirely of stone, and the table is as nearly balanced as it is possible to make it. The building, situated just west of the Union Pacific Depot, is one of the most substantial in the city, and is a credit to the enterprise of Columbus.
Becker's Elevator was built in 1875, by J. P. Becker. The capacity is 5,000 bushels. It is situated on the Burlington & Missouri track, east of Columbus. Mr. Becker's chief shipping business is in corn, which is the most important grain product shipped from Columbus.
[View of Columbus Foundry.]
COLUMBUS FOUNDRY AND MACHINE SHOPS--CHARLES SCHROEDER, PROPRIETOR.
The Columbus Foundry was established in 1875, by Charles Schroeder, the present proprietor. The buildings used extend over an area of 132x66 feet. The shops contain a full set of machinists' tools--drills, lathes and planers. At present, the men are engaged in making well-boring machinery. Besides this, wind-mills are made on contract, and a general repairing business is done. The property is valued at $8,000, and the business of a year amounts to $13,000. In addition to the foundry business, Mr. Schroeder also makes wagons, buggies, etc., to order, and turns out from fifty to sixty per year.
The Columbus Creamery Association.--The almost universal movement throughout the State toward butter-making has shown itself at Columbus. The company which proposes to carry on the business was incorporated November 4, 1881. The members were M. Whitmoyer, H. P. Smith, E. A. Gerrard, J. W. Early, J. P. Becher, V. T. Price, Leander Gerrard, William T. Ramsdell, David Anderson, Carl Kramer and Jacob Z. Shotwell. The capital stock is $12,000. The actual work of butter-making has not yet commenced and the buildings are not entirely completed. An ice house has been built and 250 tons of ice stored for use in the summer. The creamery proper is a stone building, 22x42 feet in extent, with an addition, also of stone, 12x14 feet. The main part of the building is below the surface and the roof at the eaves is only about four feet from the ground. This will render the rooms cool in summer and warm in winter--valuable conditions for good butter-making. Every thing about the creamery is specially arranged for service, and when finished the establishment will be very complete. Over $4,000 has already been expended, and it is estimated that $1,000 will yet be needed. The capacity of the creamery will be about one thousand pounds of butter per day. For the present, the company will gather the milk from the farmers, but they expect to soon own their own cows and use their own cream for manufacturing purposes. The present officers of the company are: M. Whitmoyer, President; Leander Gerrard, Secretary; V. T. Price, Treasurer. In addition to the above, the Board of Trustees is composed of two members--Carl Kramer and W. T. Ramsdell.
The Union Pacific Elevatorwas built in 1869, by J. P. Becker. In 1875, it passed into the hands of Hunneman and Tolman. In 1861, they sold it to the Columbus Lumber and Grain Company, who now run it. It is the largest elevator in Columbus, and has a capacity of 20,000 bushels. The members of the company are George W. Hulst, David Schupbach, Adolf Jaeggi and V. T. Price.
The Columbus Brewery, built in 1880, although the old building was erected many years before. It has a capacity of about 3,000 barrels of beer per annum. The malt house has a capacity of 6,000 bushels. Its owners, Messrs. Joseph Hengeler and Martin Jetter, formed their partnership during the same year that the brewery was built.
St. John's Catholic Church was organized in 1860, and was the first church society in the county. The earliest members were John Heney, James Heney, John Brown, Pat Murrey, Henry Kerrig, Dave Kerrig, James Kerrig, John Deneen, Mike Deneen, Ed Hayes, Thomas Lynch, Mrs. Dunlap, James Conway and Mrs. Brady.
The first church was a little log cabin, which has since been converted into the respectable building now used. Rev. Father Fourmont was the first priest connected with the church, and for some years the only religious instructor in the county.
In 1866, Rev. Father Ryan took charge of the church, and has remained since that year. The present membership of the church is forty-five families. In early years, Father Ryan had also numerous missions in the county, but at present his entire attention is devoted to the city church. The Sunday school is attended by fifty children. The church building, together with the block on which it stands, and the parsonage, is valued at $4,000.
The Brothers and Sisters of St. Francis.--One of the first things noticed by the traveler coming into Columbus from the east is the three fine brick buildings located in the suburbs of the town. There are the hospital, monastery and school of the Franciscans. The monastery was the first established. In 1877, Fathers Ambrose, Anselm and John came to Columbus and organized the society, and in the same year constructed the building. It is the central one of the three, and was built at an expense of $12,000. In 1877, also, the wooden building used as a church was bought, and the church organization effected. During the year following, the school building was erected at an expense of $7,000. In 1879, the Sisters of St. Francis built the hospital, which cost $6,000. There are at present in the monastery four fathers and three lay brethren. Father Dominic is Superior and is assisted by Fathers Cyril, Theodor and Seraphim.
They conduct the services of the church, and also attend the societies in the county. The present membership of the city church is thirty families. The Polish settlement in the northwestern part of the county is attended by one of the fathers, and the church at that place has a membership of 180 families. At St. Mary's, there is a membership of 120 families. The Parochial School is under the charge of Sister Bonaventure, and at present is attended by sixty-eight scholars. There are seven sisters in the hospital, of whom Sister Boniface is Superioress. Invalids are admitted and cared for without reference to sex, religious opinion or ability to pay.
The benevolent work here done cannot be overvalued. The usual number of inmates cared for varies from thirty to forty. Taken together, the two societies form the strongest religious organization in the county, and their buildings are the finest in Columbus devoted to religious purposes.
The Congregational Church.--The Congregational Society was organized in 1865, and began its efforts at that time for the organization of a church. Its early members were W. C. Sutton, Loretta Sutton, S. E. Taylor, C. R. Wells, J. L. Bauer, Samuel C. Smith, Clara A. Smith, Theda M. Coolidge, Mary A. Elliott, C. A. Speice, Michael Weaver, George W. Stevens, J. A. Baker, V. Kummer, C. B. Stillman, I. N. Taylor and Julius A. Reed. Rev. James B. Chase was invited to become pastor, but declined. Rev. E. M. Lewis came in October, 1865, the conditions being that the society should move his goods from Omaha and furnish him a house, or as the record reads, "a log cabin." In October, 1866, the church was organized by Rev. Reuben Gaylord, of Omaha, and February 3, 1867, the church building, now used for the High School, was dedicated.
The original members of the church were I. N. Taylor, Sarah E. L. Taylor, H. M. Barnes, Eliza G. Platt, C. R. Baker and Johanna Bauer. In October, 1869, Rev. James B. Chase was invited to become pastor of the church. Rev. J. E. Elliott succeeded him, and remained until October, 1874. In May 1875, Rev. Charles E. Starbuck took the charge and remained one year. Rev. Thomas Bayne came in June, 1876, and remained two years. From June, 1878, until December, 1881, the pulpit was filled by Rev. E. L. Sherman. Since that time Rev. John Gray has been pastor. In the fall of 1879, the new church was completed at a cost of $1,300. The membership of the church is thirty-six, and forty-five scholars attend the Sunday school; of which C. G. Hickok is Superintendent.
The Re-organized Church of Latter-Day Saints was organized at Columbus, July, 1865. At that time the members were H. J. Hudson and wife, G. W. Galley and wife, Charles Brindley and wife, Peter Murie and wife, James Warner and wife, James Freston and wife. H. J. Hudson was pastor. He had come in an early day from England with a colony of followers, and settled near St. Louis. Here he opposed the doctrines of the Mormons as expounded by Pratt and Young, and was one of the movers in the re-organizing of the church. In 1871, the church at Columbus bought the City Hall for $350, and has since improved it so that its present value is $1,000. There are forty-three members of the church at present. In 1879, Elder Hudson retired from the ministry, and Elder Charles Brindley, Sr., has since been pastor of the church. Elder George Galley is President of the Central Nebraska District, which comprises Cedar, Clear Water and Deer Creek branches.
The Presbyterian Church was organized November 30, 1870. November 1, 1869, Rev. Joseph M. Wilson began holding semi-monthly meetings at Mr. G. W. Brown's residence. These finally led to organization. The original members were Mr. and Mrs. Gov. Brown, Mrs. A. M. Arnold, Mrs. Josephine Compton, Joseph Gerrard, Miss Avis and Miss Emma Gerrard. The first meetings were held in the Congregational Church. Rev. Mr. Wilson remained as pastor until June, 1873. In November following, Rev. A. S. Foster arrived and remained until 1874. Rev. J. A. Hood became pastor January 24, 1875, and remained until 1878. He was followed by Rev. Robert Christensen, who remained until August, 1879. Rev. C. N. Cate then preached, and was followed in January, 1882, by Rev. Robert Little, the present pastor. The membership of the church is forty. The Sunday School, which is under the charge of Prof. McGinitie, is attended by sixty children. The church building was erected in 1878, and, with the lot, is worth $1,600. It is a commodious brick building, situated in the northern part of town.
The German Reformed Church was organized in 1872, and the church was built in the same year. The building cost $2,800 at the time of erection, and is located in the southeastern part of town. The Rev. Ferdinand Dieckman organized the church, and remained two months. The early members were: Vincent Kummer, Jacob Ernst, Andrew Mathis, Michael Schram and John Stauffer. Rev. Abraham Schueck followed Rev. Dieckman, and remained two years. Rev. Fred Hullhorst then came and remained two years. He was followed by Rev. C. G. A. Hullhorst, who is the present pastor. The membership of the church, which includes missions at Duncan, Gruetli and Becker's Mill, is 150. There are twenty members of the Sunday school in the city. This is the only German church organization at Columbus.
Grace Episcopal Church was organized in 1869. The earliest members were Dr. Stillman, Will Dale, Judge Whaley, O. T. B. Williams and Richard Brown. Rev. Samuel Goodale, who had preached here occasionally since 1866, became settled rector. In 1869, Rev. H. Shaw came and remained two years. He was followed by Rev. Dr. Rippey. Rev. Mr. Henry then came and remained until 1878. Rev. Mr. Goodale then returned and has since been rector. There are thirty communicants at present, and fifty scholars attend the Sunday school. The church building was erected in 1869. It is situated in the east end of town, and now is valued, with the lot, at $2,200. The present officers of the church are: James R. Smith, Senior Warden; Dr. Stillman, Junior Warden; Gus. G. Becker, V. T. Price, George Hulst, Baron Millet, Vestrymen. There is a mission at Lost Creek, where services are held occasionally. There are twelve communicants in the organization.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the fall of 1877. The first members were Lizzie Davis, Mattie and Caroline Kennedy, Thomas Saunders and wife, William Crumwell, Francis Kerr, D. P. Bingham, M. B. Bailey, Minerva Bailey, C. W. Webster and Mrs. Mary Rickly. As early as 1867, there had been a Methodist class organized at Columbus, but the society was weak, and ten years elapsed before the station became independent. In 1877, Rev. J. G. A. Fleaharty was pastor, and remained till 1880. Rev. M. V. B. Bristol followed him, and remained one year. In October, 1881, Rev. Robert Wilson took the charge. The church is a small frame building situated east of the Congregational Church, and, with the lots, is valued at $1,000. There are at present forty members in the church, and seventy-five scholars attend the Sunday school.
The Baptist Church was organized in the spring of 1880. The earliest members were Hilman Baker, Mrs. Hurd, Mrs. E. A. Gerrard, L. Wood, Bertha Wood, G. Hurd. Rev. Franklin Pierce came as pastor, when the church was started, and has since remained. The present membership is twenty-three. Seventy-five scholars attend the Sunday school. No church building has been erected, and services are held in the German Reformed Church.
Columbus Cemetery Association was incorporated February 2, 1865. The charter members were John Rickly, Jacob Ernst, Michael Weaver, V. Kummer, F. G. Becher, I. C. Wolfel, C. B. Stillman, H. J. Hudson, John Browner, C. A. Speice, J. P. Becker, G. W. Stevens, I. N. Taylor. The association bought eight acres east of town, and arranged their grounds. Since that time they have made additions until their grounds cover fifteen acres. The cemetery is fenced and is kept in a constant state of repair, by men specially employed for the purpose. The present officers are: John Rickly, President; Charles A. Speice, Secretary; John Stauffer, Treasurer; H. J. Hudson and James E. North, Executive Committee.