|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
JOHN L. GILL, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Mt. Hope, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., in 1847; son of William and Margaret Young Gill. Was married in 1877, to Miss Cora Persell, daughter of Daniel and Emma Wilson Persell. Has three children - Estella, George and Clyde. Came to Kansas in 1872, located on the farm where he now resides, engaged in farming and stock raising, owns 160 acres of land.
ROBERT ANDERSON, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 155 in cultivation, five acres in stock-yards and sheds, good frame dwelling, 24x32, seven rooms, stable, 16x32; granary, 16x32, and windmill pump, and is agent for the Champion Wind Pump; has eighty-three head of cattle, seventy-five head of hogs, and ten horses; has 115 acres of corn in and rents 320 acres, in addition to his own farm for grazing. Was born in Ohio, October 12, 1840, and during the war was enrolled in the State National Guard, and was called out and participated in the capture of John Morgan and his men. In 1863 he removed to Illinois and engaged in farming and stock raising, until coming to Kansas in the spring of 1881, and locating here. Was married September 27, 1863, to Miss Martha Myers, a native of Ohio. They have six children - Mahlon L., R. Victor, James A., Martha B., Dora E., John. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Treasurer of School Board.
M. V. BATWOOD, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, all under cultivation; twenty-five acres fenced, with wire and boards, three-fourths of a mile of hedge, three acres in orchard, dwelling, 20x24, barn, 26x34, and has four horses. He was born in Vermont, in 1841, but his parents moved to Ohio, when a child, and to Illinois when he was thirteen years of age. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company D, One Hundred and Eight Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and after eighteen months' service in the infantry was detached to serve with the First Missouri Artillery, Company H, and participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Siege of Vicksburg, and in Atlanta campaign, and march to the sea, and the taking of Fort McAllister, and north through the Carolinas to Bentonville. After the surrender, rejoining his regiment and was mustered out August 11, 1865. He came to Kansas in November, 1873, and located here. He is a member of the G. A. R. Has served as a member of the School Board for a number of years, and is now Justice of the Peace.
EDWARD F. DUKE, farmer, section 23, P. O. Hutchinson, rents and farms eighty acres, forty-five in cultivation, has four horses, two cows, and six hogs. Makes a business of threshing and shelling corn, in it's season-owns thresher and sheller. Was born in Augusta County, Va., July 1, 1845, and when two years of age, moved with his parents to West Virginia. In 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Tenth Regiment, West Virginia Infantry Volunteers, and served with his command in Virginia and Maryland, and was engaged principally in guarding the Mountain Passes and repulsing raids of County, and participated in the action at Beverly and Winchester. In 1863, he was detached to serve in Battery 9, First West Virginia Flying Artillery, and was engaged at Droop Mountain and in the Valley, with Gen. Sheridan, and at the Bermuda Hundred, and Chapin's Farm, and Hatcher's Run, where he was wounded in the shoulder and hip by the explosion of shell, and finally discharged for disability August 19, 1865. Came from West Virginia to Kansas in 1876, and located in Reno County, near Castleton, and was for a time employed on the railroad, and in Colorado, and came to present location in 1882. Was married March 14, 1864, to Miss Margaret Wentz, a native of West Virginia, who died August 3, 1882. He has five children - John W., David W., Gordon B., James Y. and William G. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Farmers' Alliance.
PERES ELLIS, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 400 acres, 210 in cultivation, two in orchard - part bearing, five acres in cultivated timber, frame dwelling, stable, corn cribs, granary, etc., and large stock yards and sheds. Makes a specialty of sheep raising and has at present 1,000 head, but intends grading up in general stock. Mr. Ellis was born in Maine January 5, 1838. In 1855 he moved to Illinois and remained there until the fall of 1861, when he enlisted in the Fourth Wisconsin Battery Light Artillery and was assigned to duty at Fortress Monroe. At the time of the fight between the Monitor and Merrimac his battery had charge of the two large guns there, the Lincoln and Union. When Grant took charge of the army, his battery participated in the advance, and was in action at Burmuda Hundred and Chapin's Farm; and afterward mounted as a horse battery and operated with the cavalry in a number of raids, at one time engaging with artillery in the fortification at Richmond, and was mustered out in the fall of 1864, on expiration of term of service, when he returned to Illinois and engaged in farming and stock raising. He came to Kansas and located here in 1872, and was one of the first to locate in this vicinity, and has suffered from grasshopper raids and the hail, which have twice destroyed his crops and orchard; but he now has a fairly improved place and is succeeding admirably. Was married September 17, 1863, to Miss Margaret E. Reser, a native of New York. They have three children - Edward P., Charles F. and Edna C. Is a member of the Plymouth Congregational Church, Reno County. Has served on School Board here one term and also in Illinois. While in Illinois was Township Clerk three terms.
H. D. FREEMAN, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 423 acres, 233 in cultivation, four in orchard and fifteen in cultivated timber. He has 220 acres with wire fence and about two and a half miles of hedge, a good frame dwelling of five rooms, stable 14x40, granary 16x32, with shed 16x14 for implements, windmill, pump, stock yards and sheds; has 110 head of cattle and six horses. He is a general farmer and stock raiser, only raised hogs for home consumption. He was born in West Tennessee in 1834, and has made farming and stock raising his life occupation. In 1859 he moved to Arkansas and lived there until the breaking out of the war, and as his sentiments were strongly Union, found it not a congenial county, and in 1861, he left there on a boat with his household goods for Memphis. On arriving there, there was such excitement for fear of capture by the Union forces that the boat stopped just long enough to land her passengers and put off his effects, and he lost them as the boat was captured and burned while endeavoring to make its escape. This left him in hard circumstances, being sick, with family of seven persons to support, but he secured a farm and though he met with losses during the war in the way of having stock stolen, yet he managed to accumulate in addition to making a living for his family. In November, 1873, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm, and commenced by making the raising of wheat a specialty and was very successful, but having lost his crops by hail just when they were very promising and realizing the disadvantage to him in having his mainstay destroyed, he has of late years gone into general farming and stock raising as being much more sure. He thinks the failure of crops has been a benefit to this locality in forcing general farming and not confining to any one branch of farming. When he came to Kansas he brought with him about $3,000, but his property to-day is worth at the lowest estimate $15,000. His health and that of his family has been almost perfect since locating here, as his expense for doctors has not exceeded $30 in ten years. He married in May, 1875, to Miss Martha D. Moore, a native of Tennessee. They have eight children - George H., Stephen A., Ellen, Nancy A., Martha O., Mabel M., Elizabeth A., and Malvina M. He is deacon of the Harmony Baptist Church, which he assisted to organize November 3, 1875, being one of the original trustees. In 1874 he organized their Sunday school, being the first superintendent, which position he retained four years, and which is in a very flourishing condition. Mr. Freeman has taken an active part in the public matters of Tennessee. He was in 1870 Enumerator of Census for one-third of his county, and in 1880 he was Government Enumerator of Census for Lincoln Township. He is now Township Treasurer and has been Justice of the Peace four years, also Township Trustee; and has occupied some one of these positions ever since the organization of the township and has been on the School Board for three years.
E. HIGHBARGER, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Hutchinson owns 160 acres; 100 are under cultivation, forty-three fenced with wire for pasture, five acres in orchard, and a small grove of 15,000 forest trees; good frame dwelling 20x20; stable 12x20, corn crib 8x16, granary 16x16, cattle yards, sheds, and windmill pump. Has fifty head of cattle, five hogs, two horses and two mules. He came to Kansas in March, 1878, and located on a rented farm in Butler County, but not being satisfied, after looking at the country further west, bought and located here in the fall of the same year. He was born in Pennsylvania, June 22, 1840. Went to Ohio in January, 1860. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Sixty-third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served with his command in the Army of the Potomac, participating in the siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Seven Days' Fight, and Second Bull Run, where he was wounded and disabled so that he was discharged on a surgeon's certificate of disability, April 7, 1863. After leaving the service, he went back to Pennsylvania, and then moved to Ohio in 1865, and then to Indiana in 1868, and came from there to Kansas. He was married August 11, 1864, to Miss Margaret Malone, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - William Grant, Mary E., Margaret E. and Flora May. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a Mason.
THOMAS HUTCHINSON, farmer and dairyman, Section 26, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 320 acres, 250 in cultivation; a fine orchard of two acres, large grove of cultivated timber, sixty acres pasture, fenced with wire, forty acres sowed to rye and timothy, and forty to clover. Makes a specialty of the dairy business, and is at present milking thirty-six cows, and increasing his business constantly. He has in addition, about fifty head of steers and calves, and thirty head of hogs and ten horses. He also has 150 very fine chickens, and makes poultry raising for the western market a part of his business. Has a good frame dwelling of four rooms; stable for horses, ten head, and a cow stable 106 feet long by 14, and all conveniences for the milking and feeding, and fine milk house and butter dairy, fed by a constant stream of fresh, pure water from the windmill pump. Manufactures 150 pounds of butter per week and ships to the Colorado market, and gets the highest price on account of the fine quality of his butter. Mr. H. was born in Ohio, August 8, 1820, and when a young man settled on the American Bottom, near St. Louis, and from there in 1844 to Burlington, Iowa, and to California in the gold excitements of 1849. Returned to Burlington in 1852. In 1859 he went to Pike's Peak, but returned same year, and located in Chicago, Ill., and was engaged for two years in a packing house. In 1861 he engaged in the transfer business, and built up a large and lucrative business, owning twenty-two large truck and transfer teams, and did a little transfer business for the large business houses in Chicago, and continued this business until 1871. In 1877 he came to Kansas and located here, and engaged in farming, making a specialty of raising grain, and was successful at first, but his crops being ruined by a hail-storm, he turned his attention to general farming and raising stock, and organized his present dairy business in 1881, and is increasing it as fast as circumstances will admit. Although almost sixty-three years of age, Mr. H. is seemingly a young man, full of vin and energy, and does as much work as any of his employees. Was married in 1861, to Miss Mary Pierce, a native of St. Lawrence County, New York. They have one child - Jessie. Mr. H. has two children by a previous marriage - John and Francis. Is a Mason and member of the I. O. O. F.
F. B. HYDE and O. S. CARPENTER, farmers and stock raisers, Section 8, P. O. Hutchinson, own 545 acres on Section 7 and 8, 410 acres under cultivation and thirty-five acres fenced with wire, 185 acres in wheat, 200 in corn, 100 in millet and twenty-five in rye. In addition to being extensive farmers they have all the conveniences for stock raising, they have both cattle and hog yards, sheds and pens and windmill pump. They have some very fine thoroughbred bulls and fine grades, and the best breed of hogs. They have 160 head of cattle, sixty head of head of hogs and eight mules and horses. F. B. Hyde was born in New York State, April 3, 1846, and being a practical farmer from his childhood, has made a success of it here. He came from his native place to Kansas, in 1878, and located here. He was married August 23, 1881, to Miss M. E. Darrough, a native of Illinois. Mr. H. is Trustee for Lincoln Township. O. S. Carpenter was born in the State of New York, February 6, 1843, and lived on a farm until September, 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-second Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry; and served with his command in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the battles of Drury's Bluff, Cold Harbor, Bermuda Hundred, and was wounded by a gunshot through the right shoulder, at the battle of Chapin's Farm, September 29, 1864, and was discharged in June, 1865. He came to Kansas, in January, 1878, and located here. He was married, May 2, 1867, to Miss Hannah L. Hyde. They have three children, Wilson E., Reed E. and Chloe L. He is a Mason.
J. H. KINGKADE, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 160 acres, ninety in cultivation, two acres in orchard, two in cultivated timber. Dwelling 16x22, one and a half stories, granary, stock yards, etc.; has fourteen head of cattle, six hogs and four horses. Was born in the State of New York, November 18, 1845. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Company C. One Hundred and Eighty-ninth New York Infantry, and served with the Fifth Corps in the Army of the Potomac, and was in the siege of Petersburg, and at Hatcher's Run and at the surrender of Lee's Army, and mustered out May 30, 1865. Came to Kansas, in May, 1873, and located here. Was married October 2, 1878, to Miss Susan Smith, a native of Iowa, has been Township Clerk and Clerk of School Board for four years. Is a member and Clerk of the Plymouth Congregational Church, organized March, 1881, with Lyman Hall, pastor, and C. H. Murray and Alexander Miller, deacons. It now has a membership of seventeen.
THOMAS LEWIS, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Hutchinson, rents and farms 480 acres owned by his father-in-law, John Young; 120 is under cultivation and ninety under fence, dwelling 16x26, two stories, with L 16x26, and seller the whole house, cost $1,200, stable 23x32, granary, corn crib and implement house combined, 32x36, windmill pump, sheds and stock yards. He has 200 head of sheep, forty head of fine graded cattle, of which sixteen are fine milk cows, fifteen hogs and four head of horses. Makes a specialty also of raising chickens, and supplying eggs and butter for the Colorado market. He was born in Ohio, November 24, 1832, and is a descendent from a French family, who left France on account of religious persecutions and went to Scotland, and from there to England, and finally came to this country and located in New Jersey. The first record in this country is Zephaniah Lewis, born in 1734, and married to Anna Doty, in 1760, and from that tine Mr. Lewis has the connected record. In July, 1856, he moved to Illinois, and made it his home until he came to Kansas, in 1878, locating near Hutchinson, and came here in 1880. Mr. L. was married February 14, 1861, to Miss Mary Young, a native of Warren County, Ill. Her parents John Young, a native of Prussia, and Catherine Ehrhardt, a native of France, came to New York, in 1832, and were married in 1835, and were the pioneers of Warren County. Mr. and Mrs. L. have two children, Fred E. and Frank Y. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are members of the Harmony Baptist Church, located on this farm. He is one of the Church Trustees, and on the Building Committee, and also Superintendent of the Sunday school. For two years, he was Township Trustee and on the School Board four years, in Illinois.
DR. JAMES MYERS, farmer, stock raiser and feeder, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 640 acres, 400 acres under cultivation and enclosed and subdivided with seven miles of stock proof hedge fence, and is arranged especially for a stock farm. Has large orchard of all kinds of fruit, part bearing, forty acres well set in timothy and clover, two acres in cultivated timber, dwelling 16x26, one and a half stories, with L 14x20, and porches, two cellars walled with rock, stable, granary for 1,500 bushels of wheat, wind mill, pump, and large cattle and hog yards, and all conveniences for stock raising and feeding. Has 200 head all graded and thoroughbred cattle, 40 head of hogs and 13 horses and mules. In 1882, he raises 3,000 bushels of corn, which he fed and which netted him 60 cents per bushel. Dr. M. was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 25, 1832. When a boy he received an academic education, and studied medicine in the regular school, and attended lectures in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1855, he moved from Ohio to Iowa and commenced the practice of medicine in Salina, Jefferson Co., Iowa. In 1859, he got the Pike's Peak fever and started for that place; but meeting so many coming back, he abandoned the project, and returning, located a claim adjoining the town of Highland, Doniphan Co., Kan., and engaged in the practice of medicine and improving his place. While here the doctor planted fruit trees extensively on his place, and was very successful in raising fine varieties, and was one of the first fruit growers in Kansas to market Kansas fruit. During the early part of the war he was troubled with bushwhackers and jayhawkers who visited the county, stealing horses and other property, until the citizens stopped it by summary measures, resulting in the death of a number of the marauders. Dr. M. was interested in the Highland University, in which he educated his sons. After ten years' practice in Kansas, the doctor turned his attention entirely to farming and raising and dealing in stock and horticulture. In 1881, he sold out in Doniphan County and came here, buying this place, as it just suited him for a stock farm. He was married April 12, 1860, to Miss Latatia O'Neal, a native of Indiana, but raised in Missouri, whose father, John O'Neal, was one of the first settlers on the Iowa trust lands, in Doniphan County. They have six children - Elmer C., Homer J., Minnie, Olive, Alice and Mabel. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and an ancient Odd Fellow. The doctor thinks this is destined to be fine grass country for clover, timothy, and other tame grasses, and also a fine fruit country, and he is satisfied from his experience that both can be made a success. He raised, 1882, seventy acres of wheat. Part of it went thirty bushels to the acre, but the whole average was twenty-eight bushels to the acre.
JACOB NOKES, farmer, Section 6, Township 24 Range 6, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 125, in cultivation, two miles of hedge fencing, good orchard, dwelling 16x38, one and a half stories, cattle sheds and corrals. Has 35 head of cattle, 13 hogs and 7 horses. Was born in Illinois March 10, 1851, and came from there to Kansas in November, 1877, and located on his present farm. Was married December 28, 1871, to Miss Nannie J. Colgate, a native of Illinois. They have three children - George E., Mamie and Herbert E. Is a member of the School Board, and Constable, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity, being a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter.
W. F. R. PAUL, farmer, section 24, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 140 in cultivation, 2 in orchard, 24 acres fenced with barb wire for pasture, dwelling 12x26, with L 16x22, stable 16x22, milk house, corn cribs, cattle yards, etc. Has 24 head of cattle, 10 hogs and 3 horses. Was born in Indiana June 2, 1842, and moved to Illinois with parents when only two years of age, and in 1857, came to Kansas and located in Anderson County, where he lived with his father until August, 1861, when he enlisted in the Kansas State service during Price's raid on Fort Scott, and was on duty for fourteen days, when he enlisted in Company G, Seventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry Volunteers, and served with his command, participating in a great many scouts, skirmishes and raids. Was at the action at Corinth, Guntown, Coffeyville, Ripley and Holly Springs, and finally mustered out at Leavenworth in October, 1865. After the war he returned to his father's place, and made it his home until 1872, when he came to Reno County and located here. Was married January 1, 1874, to Miss Mary J. Cunningham, a native of Indiana. They have three children - Clark O., Allie A. and Elmer C. Is a member of the United Presbyterian Church.
J. Q ROBERTSON, FARMER, Section 30, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 110 in a fine state of cultivation, 10 acres in orchard and forest trees, and 40 fenced with wire, dwelling 16x22 L 12x18, barn 20x45, granary and implement house combined 16x32, hen house 12x12, corn crib 16x16, windmill pump, and water running to the house and barn. His wheat in 1880 averaged thirty-five bushel to the acre, and a sample toke the premium at the State Fair. He was born in Massachusetts in September, 1832, and followed the business of ship-building. He came to Kansas from Boston in 1876 and located here, and is a model farmer. He was married, in 1857, to Miss Sarah J. Young, a native of Connecticut. They have one son - G. A. Robertson, who is working the farm with his father.
THOMAS ROBERTSON, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 440 acres. 160 are under cultivation and 100 fenced with hedge; has a fine bearing orchard, dwelling 16x22, barn 14x22, windmill pump and feed-mill attached; has fifty head of cattle, thirty hogs and four horses, and has at present 100 acres planted in corn. He was born in Connecticut and raised on a farm, and followed farming until he was twenty-one years of age, when he went to Boston, Mass., and engaged in ship-building, for a number of years, and came from there to Kansas in 1875, and located here. In 1876 Lincoln Township was visited by a terrible cyclone, weeping everything before it. Some lives were lost, and not a few more or less bruised or injured. Mr. Williams' child was killed and he had his arm broken, while his wife has not recovered from the effects of it to this day. Mr. Robertson's loss was over $480. Part of his house was picked up over a mile away, and his stock and farm implements were scattered in every direction. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Augusta Comstock, a native of Connecticut. They have three children - Walter, Ida and Frederick.
EGBERT SEELY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 240 acres, 130 in a fine state of cultivation, six acres in orchard, a portion bearing, and the finest varieties of fruit; fifteen acres in cultivated timber, two miles of hedge fence, good frame dwelling of six rooms, fine barn, 24x54, and all necessary outbuildings, and hog yards and pens. He has 100 hogs, makes hogs a specialty, and has six head of horses. He also farms 160 acres belonging to his brother. In 1882 he raised himself over 4,000 bushels of grain - 1,800 bushels wheat, 500 bushels oats, and the rest corn. Came to Kansas in April, 1878, and located here, and had only $10 to start with, but by industry and good management independent. Born in the State of New York, April 30, 1832, and made it his home, with the exception of four years spent in Pennsylvania, until the war, when he enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Regiment New York Heavy Artillery, and was doing garrison duty at Norfolk and Fortress Monroe, and mustered out in 1865. Was married, September 13, 1882, to Miss Emma Zimmers, a native of Ohio, Mr. S. is a member of the United Brethren Church.
A. M. SWITZER, farmer and nurseryman, Section 2, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 100 under cultivation, 40 acres in nursery stock, cultivated timber, orchard, vineyard and small fruits. His grove of timber is on the south side, making a complete wind-break for his nursery and orchard. He commenced his nursery in 1876, with the intention of ultimately making it a fruit farm, and from the present time he will turn his attention more to fruit and less to nursery stock. For the past six years his nursery business has averaged $2,000 per year. In 1882 he sold 600 quarts of strawberries and 1,1000 quarts of blackberries; besides large quantities of grapes. The rest of his place he uses for general farming. Mr. S. was born in Ohio, March 7, 1849. In the spring of 1864, when only fifteen years of age, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixty-first Regiment Ohio National Guards, for 100 days, and with his command, settled in the Valley of Virginia, and with Hunter on his Linchburg raid, where, being cut off from his line of retreat down the valley, his regiment, with part of another regiment, made their way through the mountains of West Virginia to Webster, on the B. & O. R. R., with a large lot of prisoners. He was in the battle of Monocacy, where his command lost heavily, and in front Washington in the repulse of Early; and from there to James River; and in front of Petersburg. And when mustered out on expiration of term of service, received a certificate of thanks for honorable service from Abraham Lincoln. In the fall of 1864, he re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in Kentucky and Cumberland Gap, and operated against bush whackers, and at one engagement at Mount Sterling, and was mustered out in September, 1865. After the war he returned home and engaged in farming, and in 1866, moved to Illinois, and came from there to Kansas, in 1872, locating on his present farm; and is the oldest and first settler in Lincoln Township. When he brought his family, consisting of his wife and two children, on his place it was quite dry, and not thinking of rains interfering with his plans, he built a dug-out to live in, two feet in the ground, and sod walls around the walls above the ground, and covered it with poles and sod. Shortly after moving in, he went to town and spent his last cent for groceries, flour and meal, and on his return home it commenced raining, and the water threatened his dug-out, so he began to bank against it. But it rose, and commenced running in, so he had to abandon it; and just at night he took one child and his wife the other, and started for a neighbors who had just put up a small board shanty; and in the heavy rain and darkness, after walking a mile, being guided by the flashes of lightening, they found it; and four families occupied the house that night. When he went back to the dug-out in the morning, he found that the rain had softened the walls and the roof had fallen in, thus destroying everything he had in the world, and leaving his family without anything to eat but ham, which lay on the top. He resorted to every imaginable resource to find food for his family. At one time the river rose so they could not cross, and the people on the south side came near starving to death, having nothing to eat but buffalo meat with no seasoning. Finally they got a skiff made to get over to the stores where Hutchinson now is. At one time, while on a buffalo hunt, the weather suddenly changed from warm to cold, with a terrible north wind, and he only got back to the settlement by the most vigorous measures, the cold being so intense that it caused the blood to gush from the nostrils of his horses as will as himself. He is now in very comfortable circumstances, owning to industry, energy and perseverance. Mr. S. was married March 21, 1866, to Miss Jennie B. Nee, a native of Ohio. They have two children - Lawrence and Percy. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; also a Mason, Postmaster, and was senior steward of the Grand Lodge, in 1881. He has held the position of Township Treasurer, and is now County Commissioner, serving his second term, having been re-elected in 1882.
E. M. YODER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 240 acres, 210 of which are under cultivation, one-half mile of hedge, three acres in fine orchard of choice fruits, dwelling 12x24, with L 18x20, and tenant house 16x24, one and a half stories, granary 16x42, windmill pump, smoke house and blacksmith shop. He is a general farmer, but makes a specialty of raising a fine quality of wheat, selling a large portion of it from his place for seed. Had wheat that averaged in 1882, forty bushels to the acre, and the gross yearly average for the same ground has been twenty-three and a half bushels per acre. Has 16 head of cattle, 30 hogs, 3 horses and 2 mules. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1845, and removed to Baltimore County, Md., with his parents, in 1851. He was raised on a farm and has made farming his life occupation, living on the same place until 1873, when he came West, and after travelling through different States for two years, he finally located here in 1875, and is satisfied with his judgement, as he has been successful and has a model farm, and think this will prove a good fruit country, and that the seasons are improving and the ran fall more regular. He was married November 29, 1881, to Miss Mary E. Young, a native of Alton, Ill. They have one child - Edwin. He is a member of the Anti-Horse-Thief Association, and the Framers' Alliance.