|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SALT CREEK TOWNSHIP.
JOHN H. CAMBELL, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Nickerson, was born in Hampshire County, Va., April 5, 1855, and came to Kansas in 1877, and located on Section 21, Rose Valley Township, in Stafford County, and owns 320 acres, fifty in cultivation. The first election was held at his sod shanty, and he has the ballot-box (which was a tin tea-kettle), in his possession as a memento. He engaged in stock raising and remained there until the fall of 1882, when he returned and took charge of his father's farm, and is in management of it at present. He has 34 head of cattle, 6 hogs and 1 horse. Was married December 24, 1882, to Miss Mary M. Warnack, a native of Iowa.
J. M. CAMBELL, farmer, contractor, and builder, Section 10, P. O. Nickerson, owns 320 acres, 125 in cultivation; dwelling 14x23 with L 14x20, and two stories; stable 12x30, with stock yards, sheds, etc. Also rents and farms 320 acres on Section 23, fifty acres in crops and the rest used for grazing. Has 31 head of cattle, 6 hogs and 6 horses; raises general crops. His wheat average in 1882, was twenty-five bushels per acre. Was born in Fayette County, West Va., February 13, 1830. When twenty years of age he moved to Hampshire County, Va., and in 1858 to Lee County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Kansas, in 1878, locating here. Was married October 30, 1851, to Miss Sarah A. McDonald, a native of Hampshire County, Va. They have four children - Joseph W., John H., (who is superintending the place), James C. and Perry L. Mr. Campbell is engaged in contracting and building, in connection with farming. While in Illinois Mr. Campbell was a member of the School Board for seven years, and has been the same since coming to Kansas.
H. EISIMINGER, farmer and stock feeder, Section 24, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 130 in cultivation, and two acres in fine bearing orchard of all kinds of fruits; all enclosed with hedge; a grove of cultivated timber of cottonwood, box-elder, maple, and walnut. He also owns 320 acres two miles north, enclosed with wire fencing, used for grazing. Dwelling 32x32 feet, of seven rooms; barn 32x32 feet, 16 feet posts; windmill pump, and tank for watering stock, and large stock yard and sheds, and all conveniences for successful stock handling. He came to Kansas in 1874 and located here, and engaged in farming and stock raising, and for several years had large herds on the range, but since 1878 has continued his trade to buying at two years old and feeding for the market. He has 75 head of fine cattle, principally steers, and 100 hogs, He was born in Pennsylvania in 1841, and when thirteen years old moved with his parents to Illinois, and came from there to Kansas. In the spring of 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Seventy-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Department of the Cumberland, and participated in the engagements at Perryville, Ky., and Stone River, Tenn. Shortly after the engagements at Stone River he was detailed and sent to New York to assist in the enforcement of the draft, and remained on detached service in the guarding of prisoners and forwarding of men to the field in filling up regiments, until the close of the war, and was mustered out on general orders in July, 1865. He was married December 12, 1867, to Miss Matilda Dunmire, a native of Ohio. They have seven children - Ida, Minnie, Charles I., Ralph E., Bufort A., Edward L., and Bertrand. Both himself and wife are members of the Christian Church.
J. D. LANGLOIS, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 320 acres, 220 in cultivation, and 160 fenced with hedge, 3 acres in orchard, and plenty of small fruit. Dwelling 14x24, one and stories, stable, granary, corn crib, milk house, and windmill pump, with feed mill and corn sheller attached. Has 5 horses, 27 head of cattle, and 35 hogs. Was born in Canada, of French extraction, July 14, 1845, and came to the United States in 1863, and first located in Ohio, but lived in Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois before coming to Kansas in 1873 and locating on his present farm, and was one of the earliest settlers of this locality, and in the early times, in addition to improving his place, hunted buffalo, and collected the bones for sale, as there was quite a large demand for buffalo bones, and it was quite a business for the early settlers and a great help to many of them. Was married in 1872, to Miss Louisa M. Reed, a native of Peoria, Ill. They have five children - Clement R., Genevieve, Victor, Eloise, and James D. Is a member of the Catholic Church.
C. E. LIBBEY, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Nickerson, owns 160 acres, 130 in cultivation, one and one-half miles of hedge, 30 acres fenced with barbed wire. Dwelling 22x24, stable and granary combined 21x28, corn crib 8x16, and windmill pump. Has 6 horses and 43 head of cattle. Was born in Maine in 1837, and when only three years of age his parents emigrated to Illinois, coming by ship to New Orleans, and up the river to their destination, and were the pioneers of that locality. He remained there until coming to Kansas in January, 1874, and located here. Enlisted August 15, 1861, in Company H, Eleventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was in the fight at Fort Donelson, where his company of sixty- eight men lost twenty killed on the field and he with seven others were captured by Forrest's Cavalry cutting them off, and he was held a prisoner for eight months, in different Southern prisons, and finally exchanged from Libby Prison, Richmond, and returned to his command at Memphis, Tenn., in January, 1863. He participated in the siege of Vicksburg, and was at the surrender of Mobile; his regiment charged Fort Blakely, and was mustered out in November, 1865. Was married October 13, 1869, to Miss M. E. Burdick, a native of Illinois. They have five children - Mary F., Emma S., Morton M., Maud E., and C. E. Is a Baptist. Has served as Township Trustee and member of School Board in Kansas, and was Trustee on School Board when residing in Illinois.
E. C. MARKS, farmer and stockfeeder, Section 11, P. O. Nickerson, owns 800 acres, 110 acres under cultivation, 640 acres fenced with barbed wire for cattle range and eighty acres fenced with board for hogs, pasture, small orchard, dwelling 22x 30, L 16 x 22, two stories, stable 22x32, with stock yards, sheds, wind mill pump, stock scales and all the necessary conveniences for handling stock successfully. He makes a specialty of buying and feeding stock for the market, although to some extent engaged in stock raising. He has 125 head of cattle, 100 hogs, eight horses and mules. Mr. M. was born in the State of New York in 1830. In 1850 he emigrated to Illinois and engaged in stock, being very successful. In 1881 he came to Kansas and located on his present place, which is destined to be one of the finest stock farms in Kansas. He was married November 2, 1853, to Miss Mary Libbey, a native of Maine. They have two children, Lewis M. and Mary C. He is a mason, and while in Illinois was occupying the position of Township Trustee, Director and Treasurer of the School Board for a period of twenty-eight years.
WILLIAM N. REED, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Nickerson; owns 160 acres, 120 under cultivation, good orchard, grove of cultivated timber consisting of cottonwood, locust, maple, walnut, etc. Dwelling is 12x 16, with L and 10x12 and addition 8x24; barn 12x32, twelve feet high; stable 10x16, smoke house, hen house, etc. Was born in Ohio in 1838, and moved to Illinois in 1848, and to Michigan in 1852. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Third Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and with his command severed in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the first battle of Bull Run, but losing his health was discharged on a surgeon's certificate of disability in September of the same year. In February, 1865, he re-enlisted in Company F, Sixth Michigan Calvary and was on duty at Harper's Ferry and Upper Potomac patrolling. After the fighting was over was sent with his command on the plains in the Indian service, and was mustered out in February, 1866 at Fort Bridger. In 1871 he came to Kansas, first locating in Howard County and came here in 1873. For the first two years after coming here he was engaged in hunting buffalo and shipping the hides and meat, and has in connection with improving his farms, been engaged in contracting and building. He was married March 17, 1863, to Miss Ellen Badger, a native of Michigan. They have three children, Albert, William and Herbert. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
J. S. VANDOLAH, farmer, Section 14, Township 23, Range 7, P. O. Hutchinson; owns 160 acres, 80 acres under cultivation, three acres in orchard and forests trees, dwelling 2226, stable 12x20, corn crib, cattle yards and sheds, two milch cows, two yearlings, ten hogs, two mules and one horse. He was born in Ohio, March 11, 1820, moved to Iowa in 1854, and to Illinois in 1871, and came to Kansas in 1873, locating here. He enlisted in 1862 in Company I, Thirty-third Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry and served with this command on the Mississippi, was in the Yazoo expedition, and at the defense of Helena, Ark., and on account of hardships and exposure, his health failed and he has been an invalid since, but was kept on garrison duty until mustered out May 8, 1865, for disability. He was married April 10, 1845, in Ohio, and his wife died in February, 18?9, leaving six children - Rosetta, Beulah, William F., Nancy, John, Josephine. She was a native of Ohio. He was married again in December 1859, to Miss E. W. Haines, a native of New Jersey. They have on child, Charlie. He is a member of the Christian Church, and also a Mason. He has served on the School Board, and has been Justice of the Peace.
WILLIAM WELLS, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 130 in cultivation, three in orchard, one in cultivated timber, all enclosed with hedge; frame dwelling, stable, stock yards and wind-mill pump; has twenty head of cattle and six horses. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1874 and located here. Was born in the State of New York, June 20, 1840, and in 1874 moved to Pennsylvania and came to Kansas same year. Enlisted in 1861 in Company F, Fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Reserves, and served with his company in the army of the Potomac, and participated in the advance on Richmond, and in the seven-day' battles in front of Richmond, ending with Malvern Hill and Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antletam, and Fredericksburg where he was severely wounded by gun shot which permanently disabled him, so he was discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability in July, 1864. Was married January 12, 1870, to Miss Locada Lockwood, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children - Edmund, John, Mary, William, and Gracie. Has been Township Treasurer for five years and School Treasurer for four years.
J. C. WISSERT, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Nickerson, owns 160 acres, all enclosed with hedge; three acres in fine bearing orchard; five in grove and 125 in a fine state of cultivation. Dwelling 16x22, L 16x 16; barn 16x28; thirty-seven head of cattle; fourteen hogs and five horses. Was born in Ohio, November 18, 1845. Enlisted in 1864, in Company A, One Hundred and Ninety-second Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Shenandoah Valley and was near Lynchburg when Lee surrendered and was only engaged in skirmishes with bushwhackers and captured a number of guerrillas and was mustered out in October, 1865. Came to Kansas, March 26, 1873, from Missouri, where he had lived four years and located here. When he came here he had but $75 and a team and had great hardships for some years, at times having nothing but bread and water to live on, but by hard work, energy and management is now in prosperous circumstances. Was married February 22, 1867, to Miss Bettie J. Ordway, a native of Ohio. They have seven children - Carrie E., Amelia C., Alpha A., Charles M., Benjamin F., Betsy Jane and Emma. Is a member of the Christian Church.
ELDER J. W. BEER, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Nickerson, owns 160 acres, sixty acres in cultivation. Dwelling 12x18, with L 12x14; stable 22x32; granary 6x14; milk house and dairy 12x12, and is also making a specialty of good stock; has at present twenty-one head. Was born in Armstrong County, Pa., in 1848, and came West and located in Iowa in 1868, and 1869 to Illinois, and same year to Louisiana, where he remained until coming to Kansas, and locating on his present farm in the spring of 1872. For several years after locating, was engaged in hunting buffalo, which was then more remunerative than farming. At the same time, however, he was improving his farm. Was married, in 1877, to Miss Elmira Blucher, a native of Maryland. They have three children - Fredrick L., Laura L., and Sarah C. Is elder of the German Baptist Church, generally known as Dunkard, and has been preaching since the church organization in 1878, with a membership of sixteen. It now numbers sixty-four members, in a territory comprising parts of Reno, Rice, and Kingman counties.
WILLIAM BROWN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, P. O. Nickerson owns 160 acres on Section 14, about 40 acres in cultivation, and 22 acres in timber, with a good frame dwelling, corn cribs, stock yards and sheds, and is engaged in buying and selling cows, and has handled about 100 the past winter; also owns 320 acres on Section 8, in Grant Township, on which he has erected a cheese factory, started in 1878; the factory is 32x48, two stories, lower story stone and the upper frame; there is also on the place a good dwelling, barn and the necessary out buildings, and cattle yards and twenty-nine milk cows; also owns eighty acres in Salt Creek Township, Reno County. Was born in Warren County, Pa., August 20, 1835, and came to Kansas in 1854, stopping first in Leavenworth, which at that time contained only a log house and a few tents, and was engaged in the troubles of the early settlements of Kansas, serving for a time with Jim Lane, participating in a number of the engagements of that period, being with the party that captured the cannon from the Kickapoo rangers and passing himself off as a Southern man from Maysville, Ky., had free access to the camps of the border State men and conveyed intelligence of their movements to Jim Lane, and was for a time engaged with the Government Surveying Party in running lines, and was also present when the treaty was made with the Indians, and attended the first land sale at Osaqua. In 1859 he returned to his native place in Pennsylvania and was living there when the war broke out. In 1863, enlisted in Company D, Pennsylvania Bucktail Regiment, and served for a time with his command in Virginia, and for a time was detailed as Assistant in the Secret Service of the Provost Department, and mustered out in 1865. In January, 1871, he returned to Kansas and located on a farm joining the present town of Newton, Harvey County, and helped lay out the town of Newton, being one of the first settlers; was Postmaster of Newton for five years, and was identified with the early history of that place. After resigning his position of Postmaster was for a time mail agent on the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and in 1878 located on Section 8, Reno County, and erected his cheese factory, and also took and commenced improving this place near the same time. Was married in 1861, to Miss Mary Jane McIntyre, a native of Pennsylvania, is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. B. has made a success in Kansas and thinks the handling of stock as well as the dairy business and cheese manufacturing can be carried on more successfully here than in the old settled States. When he first came to Reno County the main herd of buffalo was in this vicinity, and one day he killed nine buffalo with nine shots, and has known hunters to kill 160 buffalo in a day. He made $800 in one month killing buffalo for their hides.
REV. A. CLARK, farmer and sheep raiser, P. O. Nickerson, owns 160 acres under cultivation, 4 acres of bearing orchard and 5 acres cultivated timber, has a dwelling 16x24, L 14x18, one and a half stories high, barn and stable, combined 28x32 feet, with hen houses, implement house, and all necessary outbuildings, sheds and yards for sheep and has at present over 600 sheep. Makes sheep raising a specialty. He also owns eighty acres in Salt Creek Township. He was born in Parke County, Ind., in 1831, and in 1836 his parents moved to Illinois. In 1857, he moved to Kansas, and located in Tecumseh, Shawnee County, and in the spring of 1858, joined the Kansas and Nebraska Conference, and located in Nemaha County, and preached there until the spring of 1860. When he went to Colorado, locating at Gregory Diggings, and engaged in preaching there. In the fall he returned to Kansas; while on his way back he met the pony express on a full run, which called out as he passed, "Lincoln is elected, Lincoln is elected." In the spring of 1861, he located in what is now Jewell County, but the Indians were so bad that he had to abandon his claim, which is the present site of Jewell City. He returned to Illinois, and August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eighty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and with his command participated in the campaign from Louisville, Ky., to Atlanta. In the march to the sea, and through the Carolinas, and after the surrender of Joe Johnston marched to Washington, D. C., and was in the grand review. He was mustard out in Chicago, June 22, 1865. After the war he located in Knox County, Ill., until 1868, when he went to Jasper County, Mo., and went from there to Kansas in 1875, and located here. He married, in 1853, Miss Elizabeth C. Harshbarger, a native of Ohio. They have a very interesting family of thirteen children - Wilbur H., Joel M. C.; Luella L., E. Judson, William Sherman, Jennie G., Raymond H., May, Arthur W., Charles M., Amous, Lowell M. and Neal. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the G. A. R. of which he is chaplain, and has occupied the position of Clerk of the School Board.