|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
D. J. COLE, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 240 acres, about one half under cultivation and the balance in pasture and meadow, all enclosed with hedge and wire fence and a cross hedge dividing it. He has a fine orchard of three acres and sixteen acres in cultivated timber, consisting of cottonwood, ailantus, willow, sycamore, black walnut and box-elder. He has also a fine pond in his pasture about eighty feet wide and 100 rods long, fed by springs. Has a large frame dwelling of eight rooms, barn 60x60, combining stable, granary, corn crib, sheds for stock, etc. His dwelling and barn cost about $3,500. He is combining fine stock with his farming and has eighteen head of cattle, all thoroughbreds, and eleven thoroughbred Berkshire hogs and eight horses. Mr. Cole was born in Culpepper County, Va., in 1824, and in 1834 he moved with his parents to Illinois, which he made his home for forty-two years. During the war he took an active part in favor of the Union, although surrounded by rebel sympathizers. He was a member of the Union League and took a leading part in all their meetings. He came to Kansas in 1876 and bought his present farm, and was for a time Trustee of Clay Township. He was married in 1849, to Miss Mary E. Smith, who died in August, 1862, leaving one child - Barbara L. A. L.(now the wife of W. S. Lurton, of Jacksonville, Ill.). He was married a second time in October, 1865, to Mrs. H. E. Monroe. They have seven children - Loyal L., Mary E., Hannah E., Ida G., Thaddeus C., Ena B. and Ina C. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
LUTHER DODGE, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 117 acres, fifty-one in cultivation, twenty acres fenced with wire, small orchard, dwelling 16x22, L 12x16, stable 24x28, and is also making a specialty of fine cattle, of which he has twenty-three head, twenty-five hogs and two horses. He raises good corn crops every year. Mr. Dodge was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., July 23, 1825. In 1856 he moved to Goodhue County, Minn., and was one of the pioneers of that county. During the war, when the Indians were doing so much killing and destruction in the adjoining county, they expected them at the place, and only the presence of troops stopped them. He came from Minnesota to Kansas and located here March 16, 1871, and is the first settler in Reno County. Was married, in 1850, to Miss Anne Daniels, a native of Vermont. They have six children - Mary, Martha, Hattie, Lillie E., Luther and Francis. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HOBART JONES, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 320 acres of land, 160 of which are under cultivation; has a small orchard, and five acres of cultivated timber-the largest growth in Reno County. This is the first claim located in Reno County; the lines were set out in 1872. He has a dwelling 16x24 feet, with L 16x18 feet, stable, stock yards, and sheds. Mr. J. makes a specialty of stock raising, and has 130 head of high grade and thoroughbred cattle, twelve head of hogs, and five horses and mules. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., June 4, 1832. His father, S. C. Jones, was one of the early settlers of Rochester, and was a heavy manufacturer and boat builder, and carried on a large and varied business. Hobart Jones moved to Illinois with his father in 1856, and started a fruit farm in Jackson County, and had over 100 acres of peach trees alone, besides large orchards of other fruits, and made a success of the business. In 1861 he enlisted in the Second Illinois Battery, Light Artillery, and served with his command at the taking of Island No. 10, after which they went to Corinth and from there to the battle of Perryville, in General Sheridan's division, which held their ground, repulsing every charge of the Rebels, and at Stone River, Chattanooga, and Chickamauga, when his battery held the pass until the army passed through on their retreat, and then muffling their wheels and horses feet with blankets, made their escape from capture in the night; also participated in the capture of Mission Ridge, and Atlanta campaign, and in the march to the sea, and the march through the Carolinas, and his last fight was at Bentonville, when his battery, being attacked both front and rear, had to fire part of the time to the front, and part of the time to the rear, and then marched to Washington and was in the grand review, and mustered out June 15, 1865, when of the original 150 men only fourteen were mustered out. He came to Kansas in 1876, and bought this place, and is well satisfied, as he came West for health and finds it here. He was married March 4, 1855, to Miss Isabel Jones, a native of New York. They have two children - Alfred H. and Mary E. He is a member of the school board; was on the school board in Illinois for nine years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ISAAC IJAMS, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 160 acres, 140 in cultivation; has a fine orchard of all kinds of fruit, a small grove of cultivated timber in the shape of wind-breaks; frame dwelling of four rooms; stable for horses; has four horses, four cows and nine hogs. Mr. I. was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 5, 1837. He was raised on a farm, and has followed it all his life. In 1857 he moved to Northern, Missouri, and when the war broke out in the spring of 1861immediately enlisted in Company E, Third Regiment Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and was with his regiment for the first year in Missouri, breaking up camps of recruiters for the Southern army, and fighting bushwhackers under Bill Anderson and Quantrell, and afterwards in Arkansas and Louisiana; was at the capture of Little Rock, and in the effort to support Banks Red River campaign, when they had to retreat fighting for a number of days, and was mustered out in the summer of 1865, and returned to his farm in Missouri, and in March, 1871, came to Kansas, among the first to locate in Reno County, and took his homestead here. He was married April 18, 1867 to Miss Saraphina Parker, a native of Virginia. They have four children, John W., William R., Joseph H. and Emily. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the G. A. R.; has served has one of terms as Township Clerk and is now a member of the School Board and has served a number of terms.
F. MACGUIRE, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 120 in cultivation; a small orchard of choice fruits of all kinds, 15,000 forest trees in cultivation, good frame dwelling 12x18, one and one-half stories, with addition, 12x22, and kitchen, 10x14, stock yards, sheds, etc., and sixty head of cattle, twenty hogs and four horses. Was born in Vermont, September 11, 1841,and came to Illinois in 1859, and from there to Ohio, and to Michigan, in 1861, enlisting in Company G, Third Regiment Michigan Cavalry, and served with his command in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the battles of Blackburn ford, first Bull Run, and his brigade covered the retreat of the army: from thence to Washington. He was disabled and discharged on a surgeon's certificate of disability, in December, 1861. In June, 1862, he re-enlisted in the Fourth Regiment Michigan Cavalry, Company G, and served with his regiment in the West, participating in the engagements of Perryville, Stone River and in the Atlanta Campaign, and the raid around Atlanta, under Gen. Kilpatrick. After the Atlanta Campaign, his regiment was sent to Louisville to recruit and remount, and in the spring of 1865, was on of the command that helped capture Jeff Davis. Was First Sergeant of his company, for the last year of his enlistment, and was mustered out, July 10, 1865. After the war he returned to Michigan, and in the fall of 1865, went to Alabama, and worked at his trade of carriage painting for two years, then returned to Michigan, and in the spring of 1868, went to Illinois and worked at his trade until he came to Kansas, in 1871, and located here and commenced life as a farmer. Was married, February 8, 1868, to Miss Rosella J. Lockwood, a native of Michigan. They have three children - Ella D., Floyd A. and Frederick A. He is a mason; has served as Township Trustee two years, and one term as Township Clerk, and has occupied a position on the School Board from the organization of the district until one year ago.
GUSTAV QUERFELD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 29, P. O. Burrton, Harvey County, owns 540 acres, 160 under cultivation, 280 fenced with wire, thirty acres fenced with board and forty-acres enclosed with young hedge. Three acres in young orchard, two acres planted with young forest trees. Good frame dwelling, 16x24, L 14x22, and porch, and the finest barn in Reno County, 56x62, combining stables, granary, corn crib, tool house, wagon shed and stock shed. Has also large stock yards covering eleven acres, with feed-racks, three windmill pumps and tanks for watering stock, stock scales and all the necessary conveniences for successful stock raising. He also feeds largely in addition to his own raising, and has just turned off forty fat steers and sixty fat hogs. Has at present 104 head of fine graded thoroughbred cattle, both short-horn and Jerseys, and his males are pedigreed, and has also pedigreed Short horn cows. Has also thirty hogs, six mules and four horses, and one herding pony. He also has a blacksmith shop and a full sets of blacksmith's tools, that being his trade previous to engaging in farming and stock raising. Mr. Q. was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, July 8, 1855, and came to the United States in 1871, and located in Bloomington, Ill., and followed his trade of blacksmith, and worked in the principal towns of Illinois until he came to Kansas, in 1877, and located here and organized his present business, in which he has been remarkably successful, having the finest facilities in Reno County. He was married, May 1, 1881, to Miss Mollie Comes, a native of Illinois. They have one child - Minnie. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
This is a small town, off the line of railway communication, in Haven Township. It has a postoffice, a general store or two, and does some business with the thriving farming district around it. The first postoffice in the township was established here March 1, 1873, S. J. Wilson, postmaster.
Mount Liberty M. E. Church was organized in 1874, with thirteen members, Rev. J. Fox first pastor, and Uriah G. Williams first class leader. The first elders were Henry Wentz and Richard Astle; first trustees, Uriah G. Williams, James Astle, A. A. Meyers, Richard Astle, T. B. Campbell, H. Wentz.
The present membership of the church is twenty. The present pastor is Rev. S. J. Sutton. Trustees-U. G. Williams, A. H. Beegle, James Astel, E. M. Yoder, A. A. Meyers, M. Reger, Richard Astel. The church was erected in 1883; is 35x40 feet, and cost $2,000.
RICHARD ASTEL, JR., FARMER, Section 2, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 240 acres, 130 of which are under cultivation, 16 acres in timber, 3 acres in orchard, 160 acres enclosed with hedge fence; cottage 14x30, with addition 10x10; barn 24x32; stable and granary. Follows general farming and raising stock. To feed all the products of his farm, he has 7 horses, 18 head of cattle, and 53 hogs. He was born in England, February 4, 1835, and came to the United States with his parents in 1852, and located in Quincy, Ill. He lived here for a time and then moved to La Grange, Mo., for two years, then to Alton, Ill., then to Highland District, Ill., where he resided until coming to Kansas in 1872, and locating here. For a few years after coming here his farming was not a success, the drought and grasshoppers interfering with his calculations; but of late years he has had good crops, and is satisfied that this is a good agricultural State, and that in time the tame grasses will grow well here. He was married May 3, 1853, to Miss Frances D. Thompson, a native of Tennessee. They have six children - Nora I., Minnie E., George S., Richard J., Ella L., and Bertha E. He served as Director of the School Board two terms when the district was first organized, and three years as Road Overseer.
WILLIAM ASTEL, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Mount Liberty, owns 1,200 acres, 450 in cultivation; 60 acres fenced with wire, 20 with hedge and wire, and two 20-acre lots with hedge; has 3 orchards, in all about 20 acres on section 32; dwelling 14x24, L 12x18, walled cellar; barn 20x32, granary 24x24, two stories; windmill pump. On Section 34 has a good dwelling, barn and stable, and stock corral; on Section 20 good dwelling and barn. Has 65 head of cattle, 60 hogs, 6 horses and mules. Was born in England, November 21, 1841, and came to the United States with his parents in 1852, and located in Quincy, Ill. In 1860 he moved to Madison County and engaged in farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Ninety-seventh Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteer, and served with his command in the Western Army, and participated in the battle of Yazoo Bayou, in Sherman's attack on Vicksburg, and in the taking of Arkansas Post, and Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black River, and siege of Vicksburg, and capture of Jackson, and in the action on Carrion Crow Bayou, where his command suffered very severely and he only escaped capture by making his escape on a horse, after which he was on provost duty in New Orleans ten months, then in the Red River Expedition under Gen. Banks, and back to New Orleans, and in the campaign against Mobile, Ala., April 9, 1865. Was in the first movement against Fort Blakely, and on the 16th was one of the storming columns that charged and took the fort, where his brigade suffered terribly in killed and wounded. This being the last engagement of the War, he was sent from there to Galveston, Tex., where he was mustered out in July, 1865. After the War he returned to Illinois and made it his home until he came to Kansas in 1872, locating here. Was married December 25, 1866, to Miss Louisa Tisius, a native of Wisconsin. They have four children - Henry J., Thomas F., William and John W. Mr. A. is a member of the I. O. O. F. In 1875 was County Commissioner, and was on the School Board when the School District was organized, for two years.
CHARLES BARTHOLOMEW, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Mount Liberty, owns 160 acres, 130 in cultivation, four in orchard, forty acres enclosed in hedge and divided into six lots and eighty rods of hedge in addition, has two horses, five milk cows and forty-five hogs, is intending to turn his attention to hogs as a specialty; was born in England, April 26, 1833, and came to the Untied States in his eighteenth year and located near Buffalo, N. Y., where he remained two years. He then moved to Illinois and remained there seven years. From there he went to Indiana, and in August, 1862, enlisted in Company E, Ninety-ninth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and, with his regiment, participated in the siege of Vicksburg and the engagements around that place, and from there went to Chattanooga, and in the battle of Mission Ridge, and in the Atlanta campaign and the March to the Sea, and in the storming column that charged and took Fort McAlister, near Savannah, and sent from there by sea to Wilmington, and, after the surrender of Johnston's army, was on the march to Washington, and in the grand review, and mustered out June 14, 1865. In the fall of 1873 he came to Kansas and located his present farm, and for two years saw his labor destroyed by drought and grasshoppers, and met with loss of stock on account of scarcity of feed and lightning, but in spite of hard times he has been successful. Was married in September, 1867, to Miss Mary J. Gutheridge, a native of Indiana. They have six children, Emma, John, Hurmy, Alfred and Albert (twins), and Elizabeth. He is a member of the Baptist Church and an Odd Fellow; is roadmaster, serving his second term.
A. H. BEEGLE, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Mount Liberty, owns 240 acres, 100 acres under cultivation, six acres enclosed with hedge, and hedge on two sides of 160 acres, three acres in orchard of fine varieties of fruits; dwelling, 21x24; barn, combining stable, corn crib and granary; has three horses, ten hogs and eighteen head of cattle. He was born in Pennsylvania February 14, 1838, and made it his home until 1858, when he moved to Illinois. In 1860 he moved to Kansas, locating at Valley Falls and taking up a claim, but after the election of Lincoln the political feeling was very high and he saw the war approaching. He went back to Illinois and remained there until 1864, when he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was sent to Sherman and participated in the Atlanta campaign, but after the fall of Atlanta his health failed and he was sent back, while his regiment was sent on to the March to the Sea. He never rejoined his regiment, but was mustered out in September, 1865. After being mustered out he went to Kansas in 1865, and to his old place at Valley Falls. In 1869 he moved to Clay County, Mo., and in 1870 back to Valley Falls, and in 1872 he came to Reno County and located claim, and moved his family here in 1873. The place was then a naked prairie, but by industry, economy and management he has now a most beautiful farm. Mr. B. was married March 25, 1862, to Miss Elizabeth Crotzer, a native of Pennsylvania. They have seven children - Nettie Adeila, John H., Katie, Andrew T., Maud and Ella. Mr. B.'s farm is known as Mount Liberty, and is a postoffice, and Mr. B. is Postmaster and has served on the School Board in this district two terms, and while at Valley Falls he served three terms, and one term in Missouri. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also a Mason and a member of the G. A. R. and Farmers' Alliance and master of the Lowell Grange.
J. W. DIX, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Mount Liberty, owns 160 acres, eighty-five in cultivation; has quite a large bearing orchard and another lately planted; also grapes, blackberries, plums, etc., etc., and two acres in cultivated timber. He is a general farmer and feeds all the products of his farm, has five horses, forty head of cattle and twenty hogs. He was born in Indiana, November 22, 1837. In 1857 he moved to Kansas with his father and located at Mount Florence, Jefferson County. Although the border troubles were over, there was yet a strong feeling of animosity toward the Free-state men on the part of some of his neighbors, and people felt so insecure that they took a revolver when they went to the spring for water. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Tenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and saw service with his command in Kansas, MO., Arkansas and the Indian Territory, and participated in a number of scouts and skirmishes, as well as in the actions at Oscela, Fort Wayne, Kane Hill, Van Buren and Newtonia. Was mustered out September 12, 1864. After the war he returned to Jefferson County and made that his home until he came to Reno County and located here in 1878. He was married in July, 1865, to Miss Savannah Sael, who died in November, 1868, leaving two children, Alice M. and Charles H. He was married a second time to Miss Nancy A. McArthur, in April, 1871. They have five children, Mary E., Eva B., Bertha D., D. Arthur and Katie E. Mr. Dix is a local preacher in the United Brethren Church, also justice of the Peace and Director of the School Board. While in Jefferson County he was Constable for seven years and a member of the School Board for seven years. He is superintendent of the Bethal Sunday school.
ADAM HOLLADAY, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Hutchinson owns 160 acres, has 100 under cultivation, 20 in cultivated timber and an orchard of 3 acres, 80 acres enclosed with hedge and one cross hedge dividing it, dwelling, 14x24, with addition, 8x16, stable, granary, stock yards, sheds, with wind mill, pump and water tank; has 37 head of cattle, 20 hogs and 6 horses; raises corn principally and feeds the products of his farm. Mr. H. was born in Illinois, June 23, 1852, and came from his native place to Kansas in the fall of 1871, and took his claim, one-half as a homestead and one-half as a timber filling. Being single at that time he improved the place, as he was able, working here for a time and then at other work to raise means to improve his place; part of his timber is eight years old, part six and some three years. He was married June 11, 1874, to Miss Norah I. Astle, a native of Illinois. They have three children - Milton E., Cloyd C. and Edith I. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance. Mr. H. was raised a farmer, and is a good, practical farmer, and has a fine well arranged place, nicely improved.
JAMES H. JANES, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 120 in cultivation, with a orchard of 200 peach trees and a grove of 5,000 forest trees; dwelling, 18x20, one and a half stories, stable for six horses, cow barn, corn cribs, etc.; has 5 horses, 8 head of cattle and 20 hogs. Raised in 1882, 1,800 bushels wheat, averaging 30 bushels per acre. Was born in Indiana, in 1843, and went to school until seventeen years of age, and has been farming since. Enlisted in 1864, in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-fourth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Shenandoah Valley and was at Harper's Ferry; there he heard of the assassination of President Lincoln, and was mustered out August, 1865. After the war he returned to Indiana and engaged in farming until he came to Kansas, March, 1878, and located here. Was married in 1863, to Miss Mary A. Groves, a native of Ohio. They have five children - Harry, Lemuel, Bertie, Luella and Sarah E. Is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and has been on the School Board for three years. Mr. J. also owns 160 acres in Kingman County, with thirty acres broken and twenty sown to wheat.
L. C. JANES, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 120 in cultivation, small peach orchard; dwelling 16x24, barn 18x30, corn crib, corral sheds, etc., also another dwelling 14x20. Stable. Corn crib, sheds and small orchard on same place. Follows general farming. Has 11 head of cattle, 20 hogs, 2 mules and 1 horse. Was born in Loudoun County, Va., in 1810, and when a child moved with his parents to Montgomery County, Md., where his father was engaged in farming and market gardening. He was for a time engaged in business in Georgeton, D. C. In 1836, he moved to Indiana and was in various kinds of business; while carrying on a farm had saw mills, contracts on public works and railroad agent. In 1862 he was in the Quartermaster Department, and was in West Virginia and at Gallipolis, Ohio, and had charge of the Supply and Transportation Department. After the war he returned to his farm, and was elected Treasurer of his county, and after serving one term was re-elected by both parties, serving two terms. In 1878 he sold out and came to Kansas, locating here. Was married, in 1832, to Miss Barbara E. Higgins, whose father was an old and influential citizen of Montgomery County, Md. She died in 1877, leaving four children, B. F., Joseph H., Mary C. and Charles W. Was married a second time, in 1878, to Mrs. Sarah J. Groves, a native of Ohio. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and a Mason, being a member of Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council, and a member of Framers' Alliance. Has also occupied the positions of Postmaster, Justice of the Peace and Township Trustee.
ISAIAH SALMON, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 160 acres, 125 in cultivation, two in orchard and two in forest trees. Place enclosed, and two twenty-acre fields besides; has a frame dwelling of three rooms, granary, corn crib and stable. Is a general farmer but working into stock. Has 15 head of cattle, 22 hogs and four horses. Crops good in 1882. Born in England in 1840 and came to the United States in 1849, with his father, who located in New York, and in 1859 moved to Michigan. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Third Regiment Michigan Cavalry, and served with his command in the western army and participated in a great many scouts and skirmishes, and was one of forty men who fought their way from Grant at La Grange to Sherman at Memphis: was in the Coffeyville fight and Holly springs and was stationed at Corinth and at La Grange, Tenn., where he re-enlisted in 1864 and went to Arkansas and from there to Mobile, and was one of the guards when Gen. Dick Taylor surrendered, and was mustered out in June, 1865. He was one of seven brothers and brothers-in-laws, who were all in the Union army. After the war he lived in Michigan, with the exception of one year spent in New York, until he came to Kansas, in September, 1872, and located here, with only provision for two weeks. Has had hard times but prospects good now. Was married in September, 1868, to Miss Caroline R. Knapp, a native of New York. They have six children - Emma A., Bert E., Amos and Ira, twins, Hugh and Andrew. Is a member of the United Brethren Church and class leader, and a member of the Farmers' Alliance. Mr. Salmon has served one term as Constable and is now Township Clerk, and is also a member of the S. B., which he has been a member of for eight years.
REUBEN STOALABARGER, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 240 acres, 140 in cultivation, 70 fenced with wire, 5 acres in orchard. Dwelling 16x22, L 12x16, porch 10x16, gable front, one and one-half stories, bank barn 16x32, corn cribs, stock yards, sheds, etc. Has 44 head of cattle, 54 hogs, 4 horses and 2 mules. His wheat average for 1882 was thirty bushels per acre. Was born in Pennsylvania, May 22, 1827, and when sixteen years of age moved to Iowa with his parents. In 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Fortieth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Western army and participated in the siege of Vicksburg and taking of Little Rock, and marched to join Banks in the Red River campaign, but he being defeated they had to fall back to Little Rock, keeping up a running fight. After that went to Forts Smith and Gibson and was mustered out in August, 1865. Came to Kansas in 1873 and located in Langdon Township and when grasshoppers ate up his crops started East, but finally came to this location in 1875 and is well satisfies with his location. Was married October 12, 1853, to Miss Alvira Holloway, a native of Ohio. They have four children - Mary, Amos, William T. and Sarah. Is a member of the Baptist Church and Farmers' Alliance, also Road Master.
DAVID TAYLOR, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Hutchinson. Owns 320 acres, 170 acres of which are under cultivation, 45 in cultivated timber, 5acres in orchard and 100 acres fenced with wire for pasture; has a dwelling 14x24 and a fine bank barn 40x44, with twelve foot posts; one-half is basement, rock built, making a fine and convenient stable for ten horses. The cost of his barn is from $700 to $800, and one of the best in this locality. He was born in Ireland December 14, 1845, and came to the United States with his father, in 1851, and located in Jersey City, where his father engaged in business, and remained there two years and then removed to Wisconsin, where his father died in 1860. After his father's death he enlisted in Company D, Eighth Regiment United States Infantry, April 19, 1862, and served with his command in the Army of the Potomac, participating in the engagements at Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, after which he was sent to New York city, to put down the riot, and remained there in garrison until Grant's move in the year 1864, when he and his company participated in the Wilderness campaign, and the engagements from there to the front of Petersburg, and in the final surrender of Lee's army, and was discharged on expiration of the term of service in 1865, when he returned to Wisconsin and remained a year, when he re-enlisted in Company C, Twenty-second Regiment United States Infantry, and served three years in Dakota Territory, most of the time engaged in building forts, among them new Fort Sully. After his discharge from the army he was engaged in construction of railroads for several years and came to Kansas in the spring of 1873, and located on his present farm. He married in February, 1873, and his wife died in 1877, leaving on child, James. He was married a second time in October, 1880, to Miss Ida M. Gaston, a native of Illinois. Mr. T. is a trustee of the School Board and a member of the Farmers' Alliance.
MOSES WITTUM, farmer, Section 34, Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 140 in cultivation, with fine bearing orchard of 100 apple and 1,000 peach trees; eight acres in cultivated timber, with a beautiful frame cottage of nine rooms, designed by himself, with double gable front east ands single gable front south, with verandah around both fronts, making one of the most beautiful homes in Reno County. Barn, 16x24, granary 16x26, and hen house 10x16. Mr. W. makes a specialty of raising grain and has a finely cultivated farm. His wheat crop in 1882, averaged thirty-five bushels per acre. Was born in Genesee County, N. Y., November 14, 1834, and when quite a child his parents moved to Michigan, where he remained for twenty years, then moved to Wisconsin and from there to Kansas in October, 1873, locating here. During the war Mr. W. was employed in the Quartermaster's Department building at Nashville, Tenn. Was married in 1858, to Miss Sarah M. Kohler, a native of Pennsylvania. They have six children - M. I., Orvin, Edwin, Frank, Mary May and Nellie. When he first came here his circumstances were poor and he has made trips to Wichita, a distance of forty-five miles barefooted with a basket to bring home groceries. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
JOSEPH WORTHINGTON, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, sixty-five in cultivation, seventy fenced with wire and one and one-half mile of hedge, and an orchard of four acres; dwelling 14x20, one and one-half stories, with L 16x20, stable 12x14; eighteen head of cattle and five horses. He also owns 160 acres in Barber County, which he designs for stock, all enclosed with barb wire fence. Was born in Pennsylvania, August 16, 1842, and when young moved with his parents to Illinois. In 1864 he enlisted in Company K, Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and assigned his command to do garrison duty in Tennessee. Was stationed for a time at Clarksville and mustered out July 4, 1865. After the war he engaged in farming in Illinois until 1875, when he came to Kansas, and located on a homestead in Castleton Township, two miles south and improved it. In 1882 he sold his place and bought and commenced improving here in the fall. Was married in 1866, to Miss Mary E. Groves, a native of Ohio. They have one child - Minnie I. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Farmers' Alliance.