|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The little village bearing the name of the famous "Heights of Arlington," is located on the north Ninnescah, eighteen miles southwest of Hutchinson on the "Sun City Stage Route." The town site was laid off in August, 1877, by Messrs. G. T. Empey and A. K. Burrall. The first building was a three-story frame mill, 30x40 feet, erected that summer by Messrs. Empey and Burrall. The mill is run by water power from the Ninnescah, and has four run of buhrs, and a daily capacity of fifty barrels. The next building was moved down from Hutchinson by the same firm and used for store purposes. The next building, known as the Arlington House, was erected by P. Howell. The postoffice was established in the spring of 1878, H. Purdy being appointed Postmaster. In 1879, John J. Gains was appointed and officiated one year, when he was succeeded by W. A. Knorr. In the spring of 1878, M. C. Rogers opened a drug store, and was followed by William Ankron, who opened a hotel.
The first school was taught in the winter of 1878-9, by Miss Juliet Cartright, in a small building owned by Empey & Burrall. In the fall of 1879 the present frame schoolhouse, 24x32 feet, was erected at a cost of $700, E. L. Jewell being the first teacher in the new building. The Methodist and Presbyterian organizations hold regular services in the schoolhouse. The business interests of the place now include on hotel, one drug store, one hardware store, two general merchandise, one blacksmith shop, one mill, and the usual complement of professions.
The town site of Castleton, is pleasantly located on the north bank of the Ninnescah River, twelve miles south of Hutchinson, and is an important station on the Hutchinson, Kingman and Medicine Lodge Stage Route. The town site, which consisted of forty acres, was laid in June, 1872, by W. E. and C. C. Hutchinson. The first building was a fine structure erected in July, 1872, by Wm. Wallace, and used as a store and dwelling. He was followed by a Mr. Smith, who put up a dwelling. The postoffice was established in the summer of 1872, Wm. Wallace, the present incumbent, being appointed Postmaster. Although not situated on the "gory plains of Castleton," the place has not improved since its first impetus. In reality, the place only exists in name.
The Harmony Baptist Church was organized November 3, 1875, with ten members. Its first officers were: Deacons, H. D. Freeman, H. Bramwell; Clerk, L. B. Tunnell; First Pastor, A. B. Friorear. The present membership numbers fifty-seven. The officers are: Deacons, H. D. Freeman, H. Bramwell, G. R. Bowser; Clerk, B. F. Tucker; Pastor, J. V. T. Hungate. A church building was commenced, July, 1882, and it was completed in April, 1883, at a cost of $1,500. The church building was dedicated May 20, 1883.
JOHN H. MEDBERY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Castleton, came to Newton, in March, 1872,and on the 1st of April, of the same year moved to Hutchinson, where he was engaged in prospecting for a few months. He then located on the north fork of Ninnescah River, on Section 26, where he now owns three quarter sections, having received his title to one under the pre-emption laws, and another being a homestead claim; when he first took up his claim in Reno County, there were no white settlers within ten miles of him, and he broke the first land and raised the first corn in that part of the county. His first neighbors were Austin B. Smith and his two brothers, Anthony and John, who settled at Castleton, in the summer of 1872. Mr. Medbery has been engaged in farming and stock raising ever since he settled here and has now at least 300 acres of his own land under cultivation, and fully as much more rented out to other parties. He organized Castleton Township, and was its first Trustee, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace for two years. He was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wis. He was born April 7, 1848, and was educated in private and public schools of Milwaukee, and Racine College. His father, John W. Medbery was one of the early settlers of Milwaukee, having settled there when it had a population on only about 8,000. He built and operated the Empire Mills, and was also engaged in the banking business for several years. He then went to Pike's Peak, and on his return was in the manufacturing business at Washington, D. C., where he died in 1870. The subject of this sketch was married in Hutchinson, February 11, 1880, to Flora Haraha. They have two children, John Harsha and Mary A.
CAPTAIN MARSHALL BATTEY, farmer, Section 6, Township 23, Range 6, P. O. Hutchinson; owns 262 acres, 100 in cultivation, 125 fenced with barb wire, a fine bearing orchard of fifty apple trees and 300 peach, also small fruits; ten acres in timber, dwelling 20x24, stable 14x38, corn-crib 10x16, barn 20x40, chicken house, smoke house, etc. Has thirty head of cattle, forty hogs, and six horses. Was born in Rhode Island, February 26, 1843, and in May, 1854 moved to Bureau County, Ill., with his parents. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Company F. Fifty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and with his command participated in the taking of Fort Donelson, battle of Shiloh, siege of Corinth and in the defense of Corinth October 3 and 4, 1862, as his regiment was stationed there after the siege and capture, and participated in the raid under General Dodge to Tuscumbia, Ala. His regiment returned to Corinth and was stationed there for some time and then went to Linnville, Tenn., where the regiment veteranized, at which time Captain B., was recommended by his Colonel for a position in a colored regiment, and he was commissioned First Lieutenant December 26, 1863, and when his company was full, he was mustered in as First Lieutenant of Company C, One Hundred and eleventh Regiment, United States Colored Infantry, but shortly afterward promoted to Captain, and was on duty on the line of the Nashville & Decatur R. R., at Elk River. At the time of the Forrest raid had a number of hard fights with him, and finally fell back to Pulaski and repulsed him after two days fighting. When Hood made his raid, his command was withdrawn to Nashville and participated in that engagement; after Nashville, he was stationed on the Harpeth River guarding railroad bridges, and while there went home on leave of absence, the first and only time while in the service. After his return his command was sent to Murfreesboro, Tenn., was promoted to Captain November 9, 1865, while stationed there, and he was stationed at the Stone River Soldiers Cemetery, until mustered out April 30, 1868. Mr. B. came to Kansas in October, 1871, from Vernon County, Mo., where he spent two years previous and located his claim November 6, same year, it being the first claim located south of the river six miles from Hutchinson, before the town was located. He shipped the first car of lumber to Hutchinson and had to raft it across the river, which was up at the time, to build his first house; swimming his horses attached to the wagon across the Arkansas River (there being no bridge) to haul the lumber from Hutchinson. In 1873 there was news of Indians coming in south of the river, and nearly all the settlers but himself and those on the river northwest fled to Hutchinson for protection, but it proved to be a false alarm. Was married January 24, 1875, to Miss Jessie M. Pace. They have two children - Lottie I., and Marshall W. Is a member of the Baptist Church and of Star Grange, No. 1,000. Is Road Master and Clerk of School Board, and has served as Justice of the Peace, one term.
G. F. COLEMAN, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Hutchinson, rents and farms 160 acres, in fine cultivation; the whole place being in crops, with the exception of ten acres in orchard, grove and grounds around dwelling and barn. Has three horses, twenty hogs and one milch cow. Came to Kansas in 1879, and first located west of here, but came to this place in 1880. Was born in Illinois, October 18, 1861, and came from native place to Kansas. Was married in November 1882, to Miss Emma Ostrom, a native of Illinois.
H. C. GALLUP, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Hutchinson, rents and farms 640 acres. Has 200 acres in general crops, and the rest is used for pasture and meadow, and is also engaged in the dairy business, manufacturing and shipping to Colorado an average of fifty pounds of butter per week. Has forty-seven head of stock, including twenty-five milch cows and twenty hogs. Is also extensively engaged in raising poultry. Was born in the State of New York, in 1842, and moved to Illinois in the spring of 1860. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-eighth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in Kentucky and Tennessee, participating in a number of scouts' skirmishes and heavy engagements, among others, Perryville, Ky., Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and the Atlanta campaign until the taking of Atlanta, and after that sent back to Thomas at Nashville, and was mustered out June 5, 1865. Came to Kansas in 1876, and located one mile west of present location, and came here in 1881. Was married August 16, 1865, to Miss Salina C. Shottenkirk, a native of New York. They have seven children - Jennie, Edward P., Benjamin, Charles, Frank, James and Salina. Is a member of the G. A. R. and A. O. U. W.
JOHN GUYER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, 105 in cultivation; one mile of hedge; dwelling 14x20 L 12x12, with porch: stable and granary, and bearing orchard, and two groves of cultivated timber. Has seven horses, four cows and twelve hogs. Was born in Pennsylvania, November 14, 1823, and raised on a farm, making it his home until he entered the army, in 1862, as a private in Company K, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, under the nine-months' call, and participated in the battles of Antietam, Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville, and re-enlisted in Company A, 212 Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was engaged in garrison duty until the war closed, and mustered out in January, 1865, and returned to his home in Pennsylvania and remained there until 1869, when he moved to Missouri, but not having good health there, came to Kansas in 1872, and located on his present farm, taking it as a homestead. Was married March 24, 1857, to Miss Eliza McMillen, a native of Pennsylvania. They have twelve children - Anabel, Jonathan M., Frank B., William J., Thomas R., Lizzie, Daniel W., Eugene, Charles E., Arthur L., Benjamin W. and Robert L. Mr. G. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was a member of the School Board on the organization of school district, and also when their fine brick schoolhouse was built.
WILLIAM HODGSON, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, all in a fine state of cultivation, nine acres in cultivated timber and three acres in orchards, two miles of hedge fence, frame dwelling, stable, granary, sheds and yards for stock, windmill pump, and all conveniences for handling stock successfully; has 100 head of cattle, twelve hogs and seven horses. Was born in England, September 25, 1842, and when a child came with his parents to the United States, locating in Massachusetts. In the spring of 1857 he removed to Minnesota, and in 1861 he enlisted in Company E, Fourth Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Western Army, joining the army at Pittsburg Landing just after the battle of Shiloh. He was identified in all its scouts, campaigns, battles and skirmishes from that on to the end of the war, and participated in the siege of Corinth, Iuka, Corinth, Port Gibson, Raymond, capture of Jackson, Baker Creek and Champion Hills, and in the assault on Fort Pemberton, Vicksburg, May 22, in which his command charged and took the ditch and outside of the works, but could go no further, and had to wait until dark to get back to the Union lines, and in the siege and final capture of Vicksburg. After the capture of Vicksburg, Mr. H. was taken down with the camp fever, which prevailed in his regiment in a very malignant form, and was the only one out of eighty-three who recovered, and from the effects of which he has never recovered, his health being entirely ruined, and a once vigorous and almost iron constitution entirely wrecked. After his partial recovery, being opposed to going to the hospital, and unfit for regular duty, he was made a Color Sergeant of his regiment, and bore the colors from that on through the war to the close. After Vicksburg went to Chattanooga, and was engaged in the battle of Mission Ridge, and in the Atlanta Campaign, in most of the engagements until the taking of Atlanta, and in the memorable and successful defense of Altoona pass with a force of 1,750 men under Gen. Corse, when attacked by a force of 10,000; and in the march to the sea, and in the fight at Fort McAllister, and north through the Carolinas, where he marched 200 miles barefooted; and was in the engagement at Bentonville N. C., his last battle; and after the surrender of Hoe Johnston's army was on the march to Washington, and in the Grand Review, and mustered out at Louisville, Ky., August 17, 1865. Mr. H. was a veteran, having re-enlisted at Huntsville, Ala., January 19, 1864. Was wounded at the charge on Fort Pemberton by a gun-shot in the forehead, but saved by the front piece of his cap from a fatal wound, and at the taking of Fort McAllister was knocked senseless by a shell which passed between his arms while holding the colors aloft, and lay for hours senseless. After the war Mr. H. returned to Minnesota, and in September, 1867, moved to Missouri, and remained there until the spring of 1873, when he came to Kansas and located on his present place, at that time quite on the front of civilization and in the buffalo country. For years after Mr. H. came here, there was quite a business of hunting buffalo for the hides and beef, and after the buffalo had been driven further west there was a great trade in the bones, which were covering the country, dealers realizing $4 to $8 and $9 per ton for them. Shortly after coming here he organized a party for a buffalo hunt, composed of six ladies and twelve gentlemen, among them some railroad men and visitors from the East. They soon found a large herd of buffalo and the sport commenced, and four of the ladies in the party, Mrs. William Hodgson, Miss M. Hodgson, Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Allen Shafer, each killed her buffalo. Mr. H. was married, November 8, 1865, to Miss Ellen Ware, a native of New York State. They have four children - Minnie, Edwin, Herbert and William. Mr. H. takes an active part in educational matters, and has occupied a position on the School Board most of the time since the organization of school district. Is a member of the G. A. R. and the Grange, and during the grasshopper year was the agent for the Grange in distribution of assistance to those in need.
HENRY OBEE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 488 acres, 150 under cultivation, four acres in orchard, stock yards and sheds for both cattle and hogs, fine frame dwelling, 18x30, with L 14x26, one story and one-half high, and two porches, 7x26, with stone cellar, stable and granary combined, 14x36, corn crib, 10x20, cattle sheds, 16x90, 100 head of cattle, 50 hogs, 2 mules and 2 horses. Wheat average for 1882 was a fraction less than thirty bushels to the acre. He was born in England April 14, 1838, and came to the United States with his parents in 1854, locating in Ohio, where he lived when the war broke out. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company D, One Hundredth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and on organization was made Second Sergeant. His first serious engagement was at the siege of Knoxville, where he was wounded by the explosion of a shell, but was able for duty, and engaged in all the actions of the Atlanta Campaign at Peach Orchard. His regiment made a charge with 300 men and lost 110. He was promoted to Orderly Sergeant, and shortly after going into active service. In March, 1864, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant; after the Atlanta campaign to First Lieutenant. After the taking of Atlanta his command fought Hood's advance until they fell back to Franklin, where his company being the center, was desperately engaged, and he was severely wounded, and was disabled for a long time, and re-joining his command at Kingston, N. C. After the surrender of Johnston's army he was for a time stationed at Greensburgh, N. C., and was mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio, July 3, 1865. After the war he was engaged for several years in the employ of the Wabash railroad, and came to Kansas in February, 1873, first locating east of Hutchinson in Clay Township, and came to his present location July 4, 1881. He was married February 28, 1865, to Miss Louisa Raff, a native of Ohio. They have four children - Morton C., Alice F., Louis H., and Helen. He is a Mason, and while he lived in Clay Township was for some three years Township Treasurer. He is now treasurer of the School Board.
DANIEL McMILLAN, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, seventy in cultivation, four in cultivated timber and two in orchard. Dwelling 14x28, L 10x16, corn crib, stable, granary, and windmill pump. Has fifteen head of cattle, fifteen hogs, four horses and two mules. Came to Kansas in 18 72, and located on present farm; at that time there were only four or five claims taken south of the river, and his was the extreme western claim in this locality, and the buffalo roamed at will across his place. Shortly after, putting up a small house, a wind storm blew it away, and his cows died, and on the heels of this came the grasshoppers and ate up his crops and left him in a desperate condition, but he persevered and stuck to his claim, and is now in good circumstances. He was born in Pennsylvania, June 10, 1823, and moved to Illinois in 1857, and 1870 to Missouri, coming from there to Kansas. Was married November 25, 1850, to Miss Elizabeth Mauk, a native of Pennsylvania. They have six children - Thomas, who owns 160 acres of fine land joining his father's on the west, which is finely cultivated and has a large body of cultivated timber on it; Kate, Ella, Daniel, Priscilla and Frank. Mr. McMillan is a member of the United Presbyterian Church and member of the School Board.
JOHN SIEGRIST, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 320 acres, 160 acres under cultivation, five acres in orchard, and thirteen in cultivated timber. Dwelling 26x36, two stories, barn 16x45, shed for farm implements and grain 40x40, hog sheds 160 feet long, and large yards for hogs. Makes a specialty of hogs, and feeds all the products of his farm and buys and feeds mill feed. He has turned off 250 fat hogs, and now 122 stock hogs on hand. He was born in Pennsylvania, January 18, 1823, and when twenty-one years of age went to Illinois, and remained there until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1877. He remained the first year in Hutchinson and located here in 1878. He also owns 320 acres in Salt Creek Township. He was married in 1855, to Miss Elizabeth Yontz, a native of Pennsylvania. They have six children - Mary, Hettie, Annie, Jacob, Abraham and George.
J. A. STEVENSON, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres, seventy-five in cultivation, thirty-five acres fenced with wire; has a small orchard, frame dwelling, stable and corrals for stock; has 28 head of cattle, 14 hogs and 3 horses. Was born in Indiana, February 21, 1846, in New Albany, and when five years old moved with his parents to Montgomery County, and lived there until 1863, when he enlisted in Company K, Eleventh Regiment Indiana Cavalry; was after John Morgan in his raid into Indiana and Ohio, and afterwards went with his command to Larkinsville, Tenn., and engaged in scouting patrolling until Hood made his raid Nashville, when they were in front resisting his advance, and almost continually under fire, and participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, and followed Hood on his retreat to the Tennessee River in a constant running fight with his rear guard. After this campaign was sent to St. Louis, and form there in 1865 to Leavenworth, Kas., and was on duty at various places, Fort Riley, Council Grove, and at one time encamped in what is now Reno County, near where Hutchinson now stands, and while here was engaged in carrying dispatches, and was mustered out in the fall of 1865, at Leavenworth, when he returned to Indiana and took a collegiate course. Came to Kansas in 1870, and taught school in Douglas County for two years, and while there, in 1871, was married to Miss Elizabeth E. McKinney, whose father was an old settler of that county. They have one child - Pearlie May. In 1873 he came to Reno County and located on his present farm, and helped organize School District No. 65, Reno Township, being one of the first school board.
S. WILSON, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Hutchinson, owns 160 acres all under cultivation, all enclosed and divided into forty-acre lots with hedge, good orchard of all kinds of fruit, brick dwelling of six rooms, a portico, stable 16x40, barn and granary combined 40x42, corn crib 8x16, windmill pump and tank for watering stock, and a dairy 12x14 with water tank for butter and milk, with pipes from pump so that a stream of fresh water is flowing through it continually. He is now milking ten cows and intends making a dairy farm; he has 23 head of cattle, 14 hogs and 5 horses. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1832, and was raised on a farm, and made it his home until September, 1861, when he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, and with his command was in the department of Virginia and North Carolina, with headquarters at Fortress Monroe, under Generals Wool and Butler, and was for two years in the country near Norfolk and Suffolk, and in frequent skirmishes and scouts on the Blackwater. After the first year Mr. Wilson was promoted to Orderly Sergeant of his company, which position he held until finally mustered out in 1864. His command acted with General Grant in front of Petersburg, and in all the scout campaigns and engagements on the flanks of the army, and was mustered out in August, 1864, on expiration of term of service. After leaving the army he returned to Pennsylvania, and followed farming there until May, 1879, when he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. He was married in 1875, to Miss Mary E. Ingram, a native of Pennsylvania. They have on child - James O. He is a member of the G. A. R., also a member of the School Board at the present time.