KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


HARVEY COUNTY, Part 5

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HALL - LUHN).

MYRON HALL, farmer and nursery man, Section 20, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 125 under cultivation; has a good orchard, and is extensively engaged in the nursery business; is an old nursery-man of forty years experience. He was born in New York, March 22, 1822, and in 1842 commenced the nursery business in Batavia, N. Y. and has been engaged in the business from that time to the present. In 1865 he moved to Illinois, and remained there three years, when he came to Kansas and located in Leavenworth City, where he remained four years, then he removed to McPherson County, eighteen mile north of present farm, and came here in the fall of 1877 and bought this farm; and is improving it; has two good dwelling houses on the place, and all the necessary out-buildings and the whole place closed with hedge. he was married in 1839, to Miss Louisa Mitchell. They have seven children -- Elwin, Lymon, William, Seth, Emmet, Delaplaine (married to R. Crow, who is associated with father-in-law, in the farm and nursery) and Julia. he is a member of the State Horticultural Society and vice-president for this Society.

S. M. HAMLIN, farmer, section 33, P. O. Newton, owns eighty acres, thirty-five under cultivation. Raises corn and millet principally for feeding; has about fifty head of stock on his place. His father, Jabez Hamlin, came from New York to Washington Co., Ohio, in 1814, where Mr. Hamlin was born June 18, 1821. While a child, his parents moved to summit County, Ohio, where he remained until 1847, when he immigrated to Wisconsin and engaged in the hardware business for a number of years. In 1871, he came to Kansas and purchased his present place of the A. T. & S. F. R. R.; but did not bring his family here until 1875. He was married June 29, 1861, to Miss Catherine Cullen, a native of Ireland, who was raised as a Quaker and came to the United States when only eight years of age. They have six children -- Lottie G., Franklin A., Cora E., Hattie M., Henry N., and William Brewster. While in Wisconsin, Mr. H. occupied the potion of Township Treasurer and Collector for two years. Is now a member of the School Board and has been for three years.

D. HAMLIN, owner and proprietor of the Monarch mills. This mill is of brick; 40X50 feet, erected and completed in 1880, at a cost -- up at the present, in 1882 -- of about $30,000. Starting in 1880 with three run of buhrs, the business has increased so that now he has five run of buhrs and two sets of rollers, with a capacity of 150 barrels per day. it is fitted up with all the modern improvements in the milling machinery, and is a model in all its appointments, and being in the Golden Wheat Belt, is fully supplied to its utmost capacity with grain obtained direct from farmers. In addition to the mill, Mr. Hamill has erected two tore buildings, one frame, costing $1,500, and a fine brick block, at cost of $5,000. Also an elegant dwelling, at a cost of $2,500. He is also associated with his brother, R. M. Hamill, in the dry goods business, carrying the heaviest stock in Newton. Mr. Hamill was born in Lawrence County, Pa., May 22, 1844, and came to Kansas with his father, John Hamill, in February, 1857, locating in Leavenworth for a number of years. He was engaged in freighting to the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming, and while the U. P. R. R. was building, was a contractor engaged in the construction of that road, and remained until the road was completed and was present when the two roads formed a junction and saw the silver and gold spikes driven; after which he came to Kansas in 1871 and located in the present city of Newton, then an open prairie, and commenced the general merchandising, and continued that business until he commenced his mill enterprise. He was married September 17, 1877, to Miss Nellie Star, a native of Morris, Grundy Co., Ill., They have two children -- Bertie D., and Ethel. Mr. H. is a Mason, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery.

ROBERT M. HAMILL, one of the early settlers of Kansas, came with his father, John Hamill, to the territory in the spring of 1854. They came up the Missouri in the Star of the West, the first steamer which landed at Leavenworth from St. Louis. John Hamill had been in this region as early as 1841, and he now settled with his son on the old Delaware Indian Reserve, seven miles south of Leavenworth, where they lived until 1861, when they moved to Leavenworth, and lived in that city until 1868. Robert M. Hamill then went to Independence, Kas., and engaged in general merchandising, having also a stock ranch. He remained in Independence until 1873, then removed to Newton, where he has been in the mercantile business since April, 1874. He was born in Beaver Township, near New Castle, Lawrence Co, Pa., November 30, 1849, and lived in his native county until he came to Kansas. His father, John Hamill, died at Independence, April 8, 1873, aged sixty-three years, and his mother is still living near Fairmont, Leavenworth, Kas. R. M. Hamill was married at Newton, January 22, 1879, to Ruby E. Johnson, a native of Osceola, Clarke Co., Iowa. They have two children -- Louis Robert, and Lloyd Homer. Mr. H. is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery.

T. N. HANSON, grocer, was born in Denmark, August 27, 1841; engaged in mercantile business in 1853; came to this country in 1863, when he enlisted in the One Hundred Thirty-third new York Volunteer Infantry and was with Sherman's army during the few months which he spent in North Carolina. He served about two years and six months with Sherman, going through to the sea with him. After leaving the service he located in Boston, Mass., remaining about four years in that city, and subsequently some seven years in New York City, coming from the latter to Kansas in February, 1879. He located in Newton, and has been engaged in his present business since that time. Mr. Hanson is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Was married in Boston, November, 1869 to Maria M. Miller, a native of that city. Mrs. Hanson is a worthy matron of Eastern Star Chapter. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson have two children -- Agnes May, six years, and Mattie Abi, nine years.

EBENEZER J. M. HAYN, was born in Goderich, Ontario, April 20, 1861, and after leaving his native town, was in Chicago and Canton, Ill., until he came to Newton in March, 1878. From May, 1879 until May 6, 1882, he was employed in the Howard House, and from that time until September 10, 1882 was with the Arcade Hotel. He was then two weeks at Atchison, and since that time has again been employed at the Howard House.

E. H. HOAG, banker, located in Harvey County, in May, 1871. He resided in Garden Township, engaged in farming until October, 1877, when he came to Newton, and in October, 1878, became interested in the banking house of Knox & Harris, having the main charge of the discount, real estate and insurance departments of the institution. In July, 1878, Knox & Harris commenced banking. In February, Mr. Knox sold his interest to Mr. Harris, who conducted the business without a partner until August 1, 1879, when E. H. Hoag and E. Fowler purchased the bank and the business was carried on under the firm name of Hoag & Fowler, until March 1, 1881. W. R. Doty of Attica, N. Y., then became a partner with Mr. Hoag, the firm name being Hoag & Doty, until may 1, 1882, when Mr. Hoag became sole proprietor of the institution, and gave it the name of "Commercial Bank" Mr. H. is also district agent of the Continental Fire Insurance Co., employing several men in its business. He was born near Adrian, Mich., March 1, 1841. At the breaking out of the war, he assisted in recruiting Company E., Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, of which he was commissioned Second Lieutenant, and after about four months service was promoted to First Lieutenant, and given command of the company. After remaining in the army a year and a half he was obliged to resign in consequence of ill health and returned to Michigan where he remained until 1869, when he came to Missouri, and located at St. John, Putnam County, whence he came to Kansas. He was married at Tecumseh, Mich., August 14, 1862 to Ellen D. McConnell, a native of that place. Their children are Chester H., and Edward A.

C. H. HOBART located at Wichita, Sedgwick County, in October, 1873, erected the Buffalo Mill, making the first flour ever manufactured in that county, January 1, 1874. On the 15th of July 1874, he put the first flouring machinery in Harvey County, and made the first four manufactured in the county, at Sedgwick, July 15. On the 1st of May, 1876, he went to Newton and leased the Wood's Mills for three years. The following year, he in company with W. H. Kinney, built the Union Mills, at Burrton, which they still own, and run six run of stone and one set of rollers. September 20, 1882, he leased the City Steam Mills, of Hutchison, with a capacity of about sixty barrels per day. Mr. Hobart was born in Kirtland, Lake Co., Ohio, February 27, 1837, and in 1854, moved to McLean County, Ill., making his home in that county for twenty years. He commenced milling in Padua Township, in 1863, and continued in that business until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He was married in Padua township, McLean Co, Ill., in September, 1860 to Mary E. Harrison, a native of that township, her grandfather John Dawon, being one of the first settlers of McLean County. Mr. Hobart has three children -- Frank, Mary H. and Grace.

ROBERT WILLIAM HODGSON, son of William Hodgson, now a resident of Burstwick, Yorkshire, England; located in Newton, September 5, 1878, and engaged in blacksmithing; his business being now the longest establishment of any kind in Newton. He was born Yorkshire, England, November 20, 1849, and immigrated to America, April 1870. His first location was in Mt. Bridges, Ontario, where he remained six months, and subsequently three months in Strathroy, Ontario, where he remained in Clinton, Ont., one year in Seaforth, Ont. Three months in Jacksonville, Ill., six months in Davenport, Iowa, at Rock Island, Ill. from January 1, 1873, to April 1, 1877, and at Moline, with the Moline Wagon Company until he came to Kansas. Mr. Hodgson was married in Fond du Lac, Wis., September 23, 1875, to Emma S. Wilson, who died April 27, 1876. He was married November 13, 1877, in Moline, Ill., to Emma S. Huntoon, his present wife, and a daughter of Jonathan Huntoon of Moline. They have three children -- Mary Elizabeth, Minnie Rose and Rebecca Huntoon. Mr. H. is vice-president of the Farmer's and Merchant Bank of Newton.

JOHN G. HOEFS was born in Prussia, June 15, 1854. His parents came to America and settled in Milwaukee, Wis., when he was about one year old. After residing in that city one year, removed to Lewiston Township, Columbia Co., Wis., where his father still lives. John G. has worked at cabinet makers trade nearly all of his time since he was thirteen. He came to Newton in June, 1878 and the following December, engaged in furniture business with J. G. Kaufman, remaining a partner with him until May 21, 1882, when they sold out. they started business again September 2, 1882. Mr. Hoefs was married in Newton, April 10, 1881 to Lizzie Kaufman, a native of Lewiston, Columbia Co., Wis.

GEORGE W. HOLMES located in Newton June 23, 1874, from which time until September 1, 1876, he was exclusively engaged in the practice of law. He was elected City Attorney, but resigned in less than a year to become connected with the Harvey County Savings' Bank, where he remained until January 1, 1878. He was for two and a half years a partner with C. S. Bowman, and the following eight months, cashier of the Newton City Bank. After leaving the latter institution, he again commenced the practice of law, adding to his profession the real estate insurance and loan business. Mr. Holmes was born in Cieves, Hamilton Co., Ohio, February 28, 1847. In April, 1856, he moved with his parents to Lee County, Iowa, and remained there until he located in Kansas. He was educated in the public schools, attending also the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant one year. he read law with H. Scott Howell, at Keokuk and was admitted to the bar of Iowa in 1870, commencing practice at Keokuk., He was married at Donnelson, Lee Co., Iowa January 24, 1877 to Fila H. Donnell, a native of the place. Mr. and Mrs. Homes have two children -- Iva Irene and Laura Lulu. Mr. H. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Newton Lodge, No. 69, of which he is first chancellor commander, being a charter member of No. 69 and No. 28.

HORACE W. HUBBARD located in Newton, Kan., April 9, 1871, and this city has been his home since then. For one year he was engaged in the drug business and until 1875, in speculating. He was then engaged in the grain business, which he carried on until the present time. He has been Alderman of the First Ward and President of the Council, and Register of deeds, since he became a resident of Newton, holding the former office in 1882-83. Mr. Hubbard was born in Conway, Franklin Co., Mass., August 11, 1848. Five years later the family moved to Greenfield, Mass., where H. W. remained until the fall of 1870. He then came west as far a Putnam Co., Ill., which place was his home until he came to newton. He was married at Fair Haven, Vt., on January 2, 1872 to lemma L. Reed, a native of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard have two children -- Carrie A. and Horace Eugene.

JOHN C. JOHNSTON, County Clerk, was born in Indiana Co., Pa., July 1, 1846. During the was of the Rebellion he served in Company A. Sixty -first regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and served with his regiment in the Third Brigade. Second Division, Sixth Army Corps in the Army of the Potomac. Was in a number of engagements, among others the Wilderness and Spottsylvania Court house. In the last engagement he was severely wounded with a fragment of the largest sized field shell, which tore his cheek entirely away. This was about sunrise on the morning of may 10, 1864. He was left on the field lifeless and suppose to be dead. In the evening his company commander, who was a friend of his father's, sent a detail of four men with a stretcher, with order to get his body and bury it and mark the spot so that if his father wished he could have the body sent home. while cutting away his belt and accouterments he came to and when told what the orders were he coolly informed the detail that "he guessed he was not the chap they were looking after." He was removed to the operating table, a mile in the rear. the surgeon at first refused to dress his wound, but on passing him a second time he insisted on having his wound dressed. The surgeon placed him on the table and examined his wound and informed him that they might a well cut the head off a to try and patch up a gash of that kind. He told the surgeon if he could put on a better ahead than the old one to go work. He was then placed under the influence of chloroform and the bones removed. When he came too the sun was almost down and when asked to be sent to Fredericksburg the surgeon, after looking, reported the ambulances all filled. Just then the supply wagon for the ambulance train was passing when he requested to be allowed permission to ride in it. The surgeon admiring his pluck asked the driver if he would take him on his load of feed. he said"yes, jump on" They helped him on and he made the trip to Fredericksburg that night. The distance was sixteen miles and a good part of the way was over a corduroy road. he landed about daylight. It was then raining hard and the town was full of sick and wounded, estimated at 30,000 men. He was left lying on the sidewalk with several others who were in a dying condition. The sun came out after the rain fearful hot and he remained lying on the sidewalk too weak to get on his feet until noon, when the steward of his regiment passing recognized him and helped him into the fourth story of an unfinished tobacco warehouse where he remained until the evening of May 22. Most of the time was spent lying on the floor on one-half of a rubber blanket, with his hoes tied together with the strings, the toes touching each other and placed under the blanket for a pillow and about three yards of shelter tent thrown over him. At that time it was impossible to get supplies from Washington on account of bushwackers capturing the trains. On the evening of May 22, he started for Alexandria. The train was detained over the night near Acquia Creek landing and in the evening of the 23rd of May he landed at methodist Church Hospital, Alexandria, Va. He remained in the service until after the surrender and close of the war in 1865. He returned to his native home and in March of 1871, he immigrated to Kansas, locating some four miles northeast of Newton. In 1879 he was elected County Clerk and re-elected in 1881. Mr. Johnston is second Lieutenant in Company K, Second Regiment Kansas State Militia, and a member of the G. A. R., also a member of the First Presbyterian Church. He was married November 19, 1868, to Miss Mary Perry. They have three children, Samuel P., Henry H., and William D.

JOHN G. KAUFMAN, furniture manufacturer and dealer, located in Newton Township, November 5, 1873. Until the spring of 1878 he was engaged in farming and at that time came to the city of Newton and engaged in the furniture business. Mr. J. G. Hoefs being associated with him until May, 1882 when they old out and again emerged in the same business in the following September. They manufacture all kinds of mattresses (except wool), McGrath's patent bed lounge, wardrobes, etc. Mr. Kaufman was born in Saxony, Germany, March 29, 1829. He came to America in 1853, and first located in Lewiston, Wis., where he was engaged in farming for fourteen years. He then moved to Blackhawk County, Iowa, and remained about five years, coming from there to Kansas. He was married in Portage City, Wis., June 1857 to Amelia Bothin, a native of Prussia. they have nine children -- George, Lizzie, Emma, Frank, Hattie, Sarah, Mary, Harry, and Walter G. Mr. K. and family are members of the Evangelical Association.

M. M. KENDALL located at Newton in April, 1879 and has been connected since that time with the Lehman Hardware and Implement Company, having had charge of the tin manufacturing department and been a member of the board of directors since the business started. Mr. Kendall was born in Batavia, N. Y. July 8, 1838, and lived in his native town until he enlisted in Company G. One Hundred and Twenty-ninth New York Volunteer Infantry in the summer of 1862. In 1864, he was transferred to the Eighth New York Heavy Artillery and remained in service until after the close of the war. He was taken prisoner at Rehm Station, on the Weldon railroad, in Virginia, in August, 1864, and was not released until February 23, 1865. After leaving the army he returned to Batavia, N. Y. and thence removed to Morris, Ill., where he lived thirteen years prior to coming to Newton. He was married at Batavia, N. Y. in 1857, to Lucinda B. Marsh, and has four children -- Ellen S., Merritt W., Charles M. and Irving L. Mr. K is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and of the Baptist Church.

E. A. KLEEBURGER, farmer, section 34, P. O. Newton, owns eighty acres, sixty acres under cultivation, with good orchard, dwelling and out-buildings. Raises general crops, and has about fifty head of stock of all kinds. he was born in Wisconsin in 1844, and came from Illinois to Kansas in 1879, and located on his present farm. He was married November 17, 1877, to Miss Laura Virden. They have five children -- Haillie, George, Charles, Jessie and Mary. he is now Justice of the Peace, and has been Township Trustee and a member of the School Board. Follows farming and teaching. In 1864 enlisted in Company D., seventh California Infantry and did service in California, Arizona and New Mexico in scouting and watching the border, and was mustered out in May, 1866, at San Fransico. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and also is a Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.

J. J. KREHBIEL, wagon manufacturer and blacksmith, was born in Rossville, now East Hamilton, Butler Co, Ohio, May 3, 1838, and a year later his parents removed to West Point, Lee Co., Iowa, where he lived until 1879. He was married in Dover, Lee County, December 17, 1867, to Anna Leisy, a native of New Bavaria. They have six children -- Edgar A., born November 19, 1868; Willie J., born December 11, 1870; Mary K., born February 17, 1872; Albert H., born November 25, 1873; Frederick A., born May 4, 1875, and Linda A., born March 18, 1877. Mr. Krehbiel is a son of John Charles and Anna Krehbiel, who was a native of Bavaria. His father visited America in 1833, returned to Germany and was married in 1837, and then came again to America to remain. He is still living in West Point, Lee Co, Iowa. Mr. K. and wife are members of the Mennonite Church. The parents of Mrs. Krehbiel, Abraham and Catharine D. Leisy, are both dead. Mr. K. located in Kansas in July, 1879, having previously purchased his shop in May. George L. Epps, of Denmark, Iowa, was a partner with him in the Newton wagon manufactory, and Mr. K. was interested in the Denmark manufactory. The two gentlemen had been associated in business since 1867, but in March, 1883, the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent. Mr. Krehbiel becoming sole proprietor of the business, both here and in Iowa. He manufactures carriages and wagons, the Wright's combination and double self adjusting springs for wagons being manufactured at Denmark, Iowa, as well as Newton, Kansas. He also own a small cattle ranche, of fine stock.

W. E. LATHY, attorney at law, was born in Clarion County, Pa., April 2, 1846, and received an academic course of education and when sixteen years of age went to the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md, for two years; returning home he commenced the study of law with his father, George W. Lathy and was admitted to the bar in February, 1866. He then entered into co-partnership with his father in Tionesta, Forest Co., Pa., where they remained for a period of four years, removing from there to Erie City, Pa., and continuing the practice of law and occupying the position of city solicitors. In 1873 he dissolved partnership with his father, and in 1879 came to Kansas, locating at Newton, April 30. Mr. Lathy came to Newton a poor man, but by his untiring energy and pluck and close application to business, combined with his social qualities, is now in easy circumstances with a fast growing business worth at the present time $2,000 per year, which does not include his salary as County Attorney, to which position he has just been elected by the Republican party. Mr. L. is a member of the Newton Scientific, Literary and Historical Society, and also United States Commissioner for Third Congressional District of Kansas. He was married January 4, 1870, to Miss Ada H. May, a daughter of H. H. May, a banker and lumber dealer of Tionesta, Pa., now deceased.

JOSHUA LEMONT, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, about 100 acres in cultivation; raises general crops. His wheat average per acre is twenty-three bushels. He has about 20 head of stock-horses, cattle and hogs. He was born in Ohio April 3, 1832, and when a child moved with his parents to Indiana, and came from there to Kansas in 1872, locating on his present farm, but left in 1874, on account of the grasshoppers, remaining away one year. Was married December 24, 1867, to Miss Adelaide Jones. They have five children -- Emeline T., Dore Carleton, Ralph W., Phoebe A., Ettie J. During the war he was a private in Company I, Eighty-eight Regiment; joined his regiment at Kingston, Georgia, and was on the march to the sea, and through the Carolinas, and was in the battle of Bentonville and Averysboro in North Carolina, and from there marched to Washington, D. C., and was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., August 1, 1865.

[Picture of S. Lehman] S. LEHMAN, merchant, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1848, and came from his native State to Kansas in 1869, and located in Topeka and in the spring of 1871, came to Newton with a stock of hardware amounting to $2,000 or $3,000, and by his energy and close attention to business has a large and growing trade, occupying with his stock which includes agricultural implements and everything usually kept in this line; three large store rooms. He carries from $20,000 to $30,000 in stock, besides a large amount on commission. Since January 1, 1882, the business is, to a certain extent, co-operative, as he allows his employees to invest their savings in the business and reap the benefit. In addition to his hardware business, Mr. L. is president of the First National Bank, which was organized in November, 1880, as the Newton City Bank with a capital of $25,000, which has increased to $50,000. The name was changed to First National, October 1, 1882. In addition to the above, he has a stock ranch for breading of 450 head of cattle in the Indian Territory. He has a partner in this who does the work and attends to the stock. Mr. L. furnishes the capital. He was married in 1872 to Miss Lou Glendening. they have two children -- Glen E. and Neva. Mr. L. was County Treasurer of Harvey county for one term, of 1875-76 and is a Mason.

W. C. LAWRY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, all under cultivation; five acres in orchard, and ten in cultivated timber, has a good frame dwelling of five rooms, L. kitchen and porches, barn 16x24, with two large sheds attached and corn crib and stable. Came to Kansas in 1877 and located on this farm. Has ten horses, 120 head of cattle and twenty hogs; makes a specialty of raising stock. He was born in Pennsylvania May 30, 1833, and went to New York when a child with his parents and in 1856 moved to Illinois, where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married March 26, 1856 to Miss Sarah A. Rider. They have nine children -- Clarence E., J. Lewis, Walter L., Eugene., Gertrude, Wallace T., Earnest E., William A. and Maud.

P. LUHN, merchant, was born in Germany in 1829, and came to the United States in 1849, stopping for a time in New York City, when he came West to St. Louis and from there to Kansas City and back to Illinois and from there to Kansas, locating in Newton in 1871, bringing the first stock of goods and building the first house in town. Does an extensive business in dry goods, boots, shoes, carpets and notions. Carries a $12,000 stock.

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]