|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CAMPBELL - GROVE).
MRS. E. J. CAMPBELL & SON, farmers, Section 34, P. O. Newton. Rent and farm 160 acres, but will buy a farm in Harvey County. The farm has eighty acres cultivated and a good orchard. they have horses, cows, and hogs sufficient to feed the crops of the farm. Came to Kansas September 13, 1882. A. K. Campbell, the father, was a cousin of Alexander Campbell of Pennsylvania, noted for being the founder of the sect known as Disciples, or Campbellites, and is of Scotch descent, and was born in Botetourt County, Va., July 25, 1827. When seventeen years of age he went to Missouri and entered the store of his uncle and engaged in merchandising. During the Mexican war his uncle was appointed quartermaster in the army and the nephew went with him as clerk, and was with the army during its campaign from Vera Cruz to the City of Mexico, where he remained for eleven months after the occupation by the United states Army; returning from there via New Orleans to his home in Virginia, where he remained for a short time, then went West and located in Terre Haute, Ind, where he was married July 30, 1849, to Miss E. J. Price, a native of England, whose father was Methodist minister. After marriage Mr. Campbell moved to Paris, Ill., where he was living when the war broke out. In August, 1861, he raised a company and was mustered into the service as Captain of Company E Berg's Sharp-shooters, but his company was afterwards transferred to the Sixty-sixth Regiment Illinois Sharp-shooters, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, his company being among the first engaged in that memorable engagement; he also participated in the actions of Corinth and Iuka; after Shiloh he was promoted to Major for gallant conduct on the field. He was with his command in the Atlanta campaign and was again promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. At the battle of Resaca the Colonel was killed and the command devolved on him and in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, July 22, he was severely wounded and sent to the hospital, and to his home; but his wounds partially healing he returned to his regiment and was in command with Sherman on his march to the sea, and the exposure caused his wounds to break out afresh, but he remained in the service until July, 1865 and was mustered out as Colonel of the regiment and finally died from the effects of hi wounds May 12, 1867, leaving five children -- belle, who is married and lives in Paris, Ill; Clara, married and living in Denver, Col.; Emma who is teaching in Harvey County; Andrew K., who is farming the place with his mother and Jennie. Mr. Campbell was a Mason and member of the Methodist episcopal Church.
PROF. J. R. CAMPBELL, is the oldest son of Robert J. and Rachel A. Campbell. He was born in Cambridge, Guersney Co., Ohio August 17, 1850. He lived in his native town until September, 1869, when he started for Kansas, arriving on the 22nd of the same month. He was educated at Cambridge, taking an academic and collegiate course; also receiving private instruction in German, Latin, and Greek, and for two years prior to coming to Kansas he taught in his native county. On arriving in Kansas he remained three months at Paola, going thence to Louisburg, where he took charge of the school, remaining three years. He afterward had charge of the schools at Fontana three years; of the Garnett schools the same length of time, and of the Hutchinson schools one year. He then came to Newton, and is now in his fourth year as Superintendent of the schools in the city. He was elected Probate Judge in November, 1882. Prof. Campbell was married in Adams Township, Guernsey Co, September 2, 1868 to Ruth McMullen, a native of that town. They have three children -- Hattie May, Lille Belle and Wahneta Maide. Mr. Campbell is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery and Eastern Star Lodge, also I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., K. of P. and a charter member of the State Teacher's Association and State Horticultural Society. He has been admitted to practice law and expects to follow that profession in future.
WILLIAM L. CAMPBELL, farmer, section 24, P. O. Newton, owns forty acres, all in cultivation. he was born in Ohio, June 18, 1843, and came from there to Kansas, in 1877, locating here. Was married March 25, 1873, to Miss Anna M. Caveny. They have three children, James C., Mary F. and Sarah E. In February, 1862, enlisted in Company E., One Hundred and Ninety-second regiment, Ohio Infantry Volunteers for one year, and was stationed in Virginia and Maryland until the surrender of Lee's Army, and mustered out September, 1865.
JOHN CHANTER, of the Newton Furniture Company, was born in England, November 2, 1847, and when but a boy went to learn his present trade, and is master of it in all it different branches, and is a practical upholster. Left England in 1872, and went to Toronto, Canada, and came from there to Kansas, in 1879, locating at Newton. the present company was organized in May, 1882, by buying out and consolidating two firms, W. P. Rhoades and Kaufman & Haeffs. They carry at present about $10,000 stock and their sales average over $2,000 per month. Mr. Chanter has originated the trade in fine upholstered setts, doing the work himself. The members of the firm are J. Chanter, J. J. Cooper & G. B. Rohrer, Mr. C. was married in 1867, to Miss Annie Rooke. They have four children, Frederick Campbell, Florence Amy, Lilian Beatrice and Lourella Alberta, two were born in England and two in Canada. He is the leader of the Methodist Episcopal Church Choir, and of the Newton Glee Club, also a member of the Shakespearean Club and a firm believer in the principles of prohibition, although obliged to admit the law has been poorly executed.
ICHABOD CHASE, located in Newton, June 24, 1874, and was engaged in farming until 1878, since which time he has been mostly employed in carpenter work, in connection with A. T. & S. F. Bridge and building Department. He was born in Northville, Washtenaw Co, Mich., November 29, 1830, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He was married in Stockbridge, Ingham Co, Mich., October 21, 1849 to Margaret Gillan, a native of New York State, and they have four children, Marvin E., Ida, Elizabeth and Cena May. Mr. Chase served in the Mexican War, entering the service in 1847, and leaving it in 1848. He enlisted in the First Michigan Cavalry Company D., August 24, 1861, and served until August 24, 1864, being in the following battles without receiving a wound: Winchester, Cedar Mountain, Second Bull Run and Wilderness.
GEORGE E. CLARK, proprietor of the Howard House, Newton, first located June 20, 1868, at Fort Davidson (Now Wichita) Kan., as Sutler, remaining three years in that position about two years. When the fort was abandoned, he remained three years in the neighborhood building the first frame house in Wichita. He also opened a farm in that region, which was located on the site of the present fair grounds. He was later connected with Wells Fargo & Co.'s Express, on the A. T. & S. F. R. R. He engaged in hotel business in Newton, May 5, 1877, the hotel being then a two story house of eighteen rooms. Two years later he added the third story, containing nine sleeping rooms, and an addition making two sample rooms. In 1882, he added twenty additional sleeping rooms, dining room, kitchen, laundry and store rooms, to accommodate the increasing number of guest. Mr. Clark was born in Collinsville, Madison Co., Ill., October 7, 1845, where he lived until the last of 1863. He then went to Fort Riley, Kan., and was clerk in a sutler's store there one and one-half years, then went to Ogden, and staid a year, and then returned to Fort Riley, Kan., and went thence to Santa Fe., Denver, and Great Bend, then called Fort Sarah, remaining at the latter place two years in a sutler's store. He was then in a sutler's store at Fort Leavenworth and went from there with the Seventh Cavalry, in charge of sutler's outfit. The command camped near Fort Hays, and he remained there until he went to Camp Davidson, in June, 1868, at which time he took half interest in the sutler's store. Mr. Clark is a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery.
WILLIAM E. CLARK located in Groveland Township, McPherson Co. Kan., September 23, 1873, and moved thence to Newton in April 1875 He was engaged in teaming about six months and then became connected with the hardware and implement establishment of S, Lehman, with whom he has remained until the present time, having been business manager of the establishment. Mr. Clark was born near Clayton, Adams Co., Ill June 8, 1849, and lived in that county until he came to Kansas. He was married in Clayton, Ill., December 5, 1871, to Geneva Dunckleburg, a native of New York, and has three children living -- William Lehman, Geneva, and an infant son. Mr. and Mrs. Clark lost one infant daughter.
THOMAS D. M. COLEMAN, M. D. was born in Bethel Clarke Co., Ohio, June 27, 1838. He was educated in the public schools and at Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio, graduating from the latter in the class of 1859. He then read medicine with Dr. Benjamin Neff, at New Carlisle, Ohio, attended a course of lectures at Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, and graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in the class of 1860. June 1, 1861, he entered the service and served three years as Assistant Surgeon of Seventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and then in One Hundred and Eighty-Sixth Ohio, until the close of the war. He located at Sublette, Lee Co., Ill., on leaving Bellevue Medical College, and that place remained his home until he came to Kansas. He was married in Dixon, Ill., December_, 1866, to Armina Coleman, a native of Altoona, Pa., and has one child -- Ella May. He came to Newton in April, 1877, and has been engaged in practice since that time. Dr. Coleman is a member of Kansas State Medical Society, and of South Kansas Medical Society.
ROBERT COLLIN, contractor and builder, was born in Belfast, in 1843, and came to the United States when ten years of age, locating in Philadelphia, Pa., where he learned the carpenter's trade, as well as draughting and architecture, and followed his business until the breaking out of the war in 1861, when he entered the army as a private in Company H. Sixth regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was with his command continually for three years, participating in all the battles and campaigns in the Army of the Potomac, from the first Bull Run to Gettysburg, where he was wounded. After his recovery from his wounds he was transferred to the navy and assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron, under the command of Commodore Porter, where he held a commission as Acting Ensign, and was one of a command of Marines who took Fort Fisher, in North Carolina, where he was again wounded; was at the final taking of Richmond, and was mustered out in 1865. After the war he returned to Philadelphia, and to work at his trade, following it until her came to Kansas in 1878, locating here and commencing his present business, which is very extensive and increasing. Employs twenty-five carpenters, besides masons, painters, etc. His contracts average about $50,000 per year, and he is at the present time contracts to the amount of $25,000. Mr. Collins is quite active in city matters, and is at present a member of the City Council for the Third ward. Is a Master Mason, and also a member of Chapter and Commandery. He ha been master of his Lodge, also a member of the I. O. O. F. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was married October 30, 1866, to Miss Jane Powers, of Philadelphia. The have four children living -- Robert I., Minnie, John and Gertie.
J. I. COOPER was born in Cooperstown, Venango Co., Pa, March 19, 1837. he removed with his parents to Cedar County, Iowa, and resided in that place until he came to Kansas, in February, 1877. He was married in Wilton, Cedar Co., Iowa, December 25, 1867, to May Paden, a native of Ohio, and has three children -- Frank M., Zettie and Harry. In October, 1862, he enlisted in Company D., Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served about nine months, when he was discharged on account of disability caused by sickness. On coming to Kansas he located in McPherson County, where he remained until August, 1881, when he went to New Mexico, and was engaged in mining in that region until he came to Newton, in May, 1882, since which he has been engaged in the furniture business, in partnership with John Chanter and Mr. Rohrer, under the firm name of Newton Furniture company. Mr. C., is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and also A. F. & A. M.
WILLIAM COULTER came to Crawford County, Kan., May 17, 1871, and soon removed to Sedgwick County and settled near what is now Mulvane. In November, 1872, he came to Pleasant Township, Harvey county, which was his home for three years, although his time was mostly spent in Newton after 1874. He was employed as a clerk until July 22, 1881, when he engaged in the grocery business in partnership with C. B. Chapman. Mr. Coulter was born in Kittanning, Armstrong Co., Pa., October 3, 1821. in 1856 he removed to Iowa and located in Chariton, settling on a farm near that place in 1860, and subsequently running a store in Clarke Co, Iowa in which State he lived until he came to Kansas. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-fourth Iowa volunteer Infantry, and was discharged in March, 1863, on account of disability caused by sickness. While in service he was on detached duty in Surgeons' Corps. Mr. Coulter was married in Kittanning, Pa., August 24, 1845, to Vienna C. Adams, a native of Bedford Co. Pa. They have three children living -- Annie M., now Mr. A. B. Horton, living near Ness county, Kan.; Charles Wesley and Sarah V. Mr. C. is chaplain of the Newton Post, G. A. R.
JOHN COVERT, grocer, located at Osawatomie, Kan., September 29, 1865, and remained in that place until May 8, 1871, when he came to Newton, and afterwards went to Florence, Marion County, where he served two years as Under sheriff, and two years as Deputy Sheriff, and subsequently was engaged as carpenter, contractor and builder, and served as City Clerk and Street commissioner. He moved to Newton April 15, 1875, and engaged in railroading as brakemen, fireman, etc. for six months, and then was foreman of the builders on Wood's gristmill. After being employed in draying for two years, he went west and was engaged nearly a year in the construction of the New Mexico and South Pacific Railroad, and the following four years was building side tracks from Colorado to Emporia, and as far south as Winfield. From September, 1881, until February, 1882, he was in stock business, and has been since that time in grocery trade. He is interested in various mines -- in the Superior Placer mine, twenty-five miles south of Santa Fe, the Hidalgo Mine adjoining it on Ganistoe River, Yankee boy, thirty-five miles southeast of Santa Fe, and the Erle, near Golden. Mr. Covert was born in Norwalk, Huron Co. Ohio, February 4, 1842. he moved to Lincoln, Ill., September 3, 1859, and enlisted August 12, 1861, in Company B., Second Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, in which he served until November 14, 1862. On the 19th of December, 1862, he re-enlisted in Company C., One Hundred and sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was taken prisoner at Carroll Station, near Jackson, Tenn., remaining one month and twenty-two days a prisoner, when he was exchanged and discharged on account of disability caused by hardships and exposure in the service. He then returned to Lincoln, and a third time enlisted -- this time in the One Hundred Forty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving 100 days as Orderly Sergeant of Company D. At expiration of service he returned again to Illinois, where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married at Paola, Miami Co., Kan., October 9, 1872, to Mary Lizzie Cathey, a native of Virginia. they have two children -- Myrtle and Stella. Mr. C. is a member of A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge and Chapter.
HARRY S. DEAN, lumber dealer, was born in California, in 1854, and came from there to Kansas in 1878, locating in Newton, and organized his present business at that time and has a very flourishing trade. His capital stock is about $50,000 and average monthly sale are about $6,000. He was married in 1879 to Miss Theodora C. Briggs of Coeyman, N. Y.
HARRISON DILLS, superintendent of the Arkansas Valley Fence Company for the manufacture of G Frey's Combination Fence, with or without Barbs; this business was started July 4, 1882, and has many difficulties to contend with, but has steadily been gaining ground. At present, November, 1882, they employ five hands, two machines capable of turning out 160 rods of fence per day, and with the present prospects will have to add another machine. the fence gives general satisfaction, being entirely stock and dog proof; is used largely for sheep corrals, thus perfectly securing sheep from the ravages of dogs and wolves. the fence is gotten up in different styles suitable for parks, yards, ornamental grounds, poultry yards, etc. Mr. Dills was born in Virginia, May 13, 1812, and in 1832 located in Quincy, Ill., where he was engaged in the manufacture of plows, and made the first Diamond Plow ever made in that State. From 1846 to 1848, he was in the employ of the Government in the supply department, furnishing Quartermaster and Commissary stores for the troops during the Mexican war, and in 1861, when the war broke out, went into the Government employ again the same capacity, supplying Commissary and Quartermaster stores wherever they were required. Was at the first battle of Bull Run,. and Belmont, where Gen. Grant fought his first battle; and at Perryville, Ky. Was a delegate to the convention in Baltimore in 1864, that nominated Abraham Lincoln for the presidency the second time, and was Postmaster of Quincy, Ill., in 1866 and 1867, under William L. Dennison, Postmater General; and in 1882 came West, locating and starting his present business in Newton, Harvey County. Mr. Dills is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he has belonged since 1837, and is also an ardent Mason with a membership dating back to 1835; he was a member of the convention that formed the first Grand Lodge of the State of Illinois in 1840, and the first elected junior warden of that body and was grand master of the Grand Lodge of Illinois in 1857 and 1858. He has been twice married, first in 1835, and has three children by this marriage -- George A., Howell and Verela K. His first wife dying in 1867, he married Mrs. Francis E. Gooding; they have one son -- Harrison, Jr.
J. R. DUNCAN, M. D. was born in Logan County, Ky., six miles south of Russellville, November 1, 1815. In the spring of 1836 he came to Jackson County, Mo., remaining until the spring of 1840, and coming into Kansas in 1837, with the Missouri State Volunteers to dive the Osages from the western border of Missouri; while in Missouri he read medicine about one year in Glasgow and then returned to Kentucky to completer his medical education. He studied with Dr. A. S. Walker, of Scottville, Allen Co., Ky., and graduated from the medical department of Transylvania university at Lexington, Ky. In January of 1845, he commenced practice at Jimtown, Monroe co., Ky., where he remained until the fall of 1861, when he entered the army as a surgeon in the ninth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, United states Army. He resigned his commission in February, 1862, and was subsequently with the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, fifth Indiana Cavalry, Thirteenth Kentucky Infantry, and Thirty-seventh Kentucky Mounted Infantry. He was mustered out December, 1864, and remained at Louisville until June 2, 1865. In August, 1863, he was elected State senator, from the Thirteenth senatorial District, composed of Allen, Simpson and Monroe Counties, having had assurances from the secretary of War that he should be granted leave of absence to attend the sessions of the legislature. He went to San Fransciso June 2, 1865, and spent the three succeeding years west of the Rocky Mountains, but did not permanently locate anywhere. In April, 1868, he returned to Franklin, Simpson Co., Ky., and engaged in active practice until he came to Newton in may, 1880. He was married in Allen County, Ky.,, May 8, 1845 to Catharine Dunn, a native of that county. Mrs. Duncan died October 15, 1855, leaving one child -- Margaret Elizabeth, now Mrs. D. H. Roark, as resident of Harper County, Kan. He was married September 19, 1871, in Simpson County, Ky., to Elizabeth Harris, his present wife, a native of Simpson county, Ky. Dr. Duncan is Chairman of the Board of Examining Surgeons for pensioners, Harvey county, Kan., a member of the Baptist Church, and also of the order of A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter Council and Commandery.
DR. HENRY A. ENSIGN, physician and surgeon, was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, March 13, 1825. When he was quite young, his parents moved to Painesville, and when he was thirteen years of age, to William County. At the age of nineteen he entered the Austinsburg Seminary, a preparatory school and subsequently Oberlin College, from which he graduated when twenty-six. he read medicine with Dr. Plympton, Madison, Lake Co., Ohio and graduated from the medical department of Western Reserve College, at Cleveland, Ohio. He commenced his practice with his preceptor, Dr. Plympton, with whom he remained one year, and then located at Bryan, Williams County, where he practiced his profession twenty-five years, and until he removed to locate in Kansas. Dr. Ensign was first married near Bryan, Williams Co., Ohio, December, 1853, to Jane Ann Bigelow, a native of New York State. Mrs. Ensign died in August, 1861, leaving four children -- Orrin Andrew, Wilbur Augustus, Elsworth Elmore, and Clinton. Elsworth Elmore died in Kansas, July 7, 1881. He was again married, September, 1863, to Janette Case, a native of Washington County, N. Y. Two of their children have died -- Henry at the age of four years, and Charles, at the age of twelve. They have five children living -- Frank, May C., Phileman, L. G., and Ray. Dr. Ensign was elected Surgeon of the One Hundred and Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, but was obliged to decline the office on account of sickness in his family. He proved his patriotism, however, in a quiet way at home, treating, according to announcement, all families of enlisted soldiers free of charge, until the close of the war. he immigrated to Kansas in 1871, arriving at Topeka, March 7, where he remained about two weeks, and located during the month at Garden Township, now Harvey County, now in Harvey County. He engaged in agricultural pursuits at Garden Township, which he continued about years, and then came to Newton and settled on a farm, commencing his medical practice about two years later. In the fall of 1872, he was elected the first Representative to the State legislature from Harvey County, and has held various minor offices since that time. When Dr. Ensign located in Garden Township, it contained three families, including his own, the others being F. P. Munch and Heath brothers, the former now living at Newton, a partner of S. Lehman. Dr. Ensign is a member of South Kansas medical Society, and of Harvey County Medical Society.
JOHN A. FOLTZ, hardware merchant, located in Newton in February, 1879, having purchased a half interest in the hardware business with which he is now connected. He was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 2, 1847. In 1860 he moved to Indiana and settled in Marshall County, where he resided until he came to Kansas, having been engaged in the hardware business since 1867. He was married in Newton, Kan., May 6, 1882, to Ella Wilson, a native of Wisconsin. Her birth-place being near Ripon. Mr. Foltz is a member of the I. O. O. F.
E. B. FOWLER came to Kansas in December, 1871, and located seven miles north of Peabody in Marion County and engaged in farming for four years. He was subsequently in the coal business six months and then employed as bookkeeper for Kallock & Chenault, bankers, three years. While residing in Marion County he was Trustee of Wilson Township two years and one year Clerk; also Clerk of Peabody Township two years. In leaving the employ of Kallock & Chenault he came to Newton and engaged as cashier for Jno. Harries, banker, six months, and for the nineteen months following was with E. H. Hoag in the same business. In September, 1881, he became interested in the Newton City bank, with which he was connected until the organization of the First National Bank. Mr. Fowler was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 20, 1843. He resided in his native city until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company F., One Hundred and Fiftieth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until May, 1865, when he was discharged on account of wounds received February 6, 1865, at Hatch's Run. He was First Lieutenant at the time of his discharge. After leaving the army he engaged in photographing at Lebanon, Pa., where he remained mainly until he came to Kansas. Since residing in Newton, he has been a member of the Board of Education, and Alderman of the Second Ward. He is also a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery and the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married in Wilson Township, Marion Co., Kan., June 26, 1872, to Mary E. Burgert, a native of Stark County, Ohio, and ha four children -- Dwight, Lizzie, Madge and Harry.
D. A. GANGUERE, merchant tailor, came to Newton, September 28, 1878, and has been employed in his present business since that time in this city. he was born in Hamburg, Mercer Co., Pa., February 9, 1854, and lived there and in that vicinity until he came to Kansas. Mr. Ganguere has been engaged in his present business ten years, in business for himself since locating in Newton.
JOSEPH GERSON, clothing merchant, is a native of Prussia, where he was born, April 9, 1835. In 1849 he emigrated from his native country, and on his arrival in America, remained in New York four months, coming thence to Chicago and living in Illinois until 1875, when he came to Kansas. He was married in Chicago, September 9, 1860, to Amelia Schreier, a native of Germany and has six children -- Eliza, George, James, Harry, Beckie and Minnie. Mr. Gerson located in Newton in June 1875 and engaged in clothing business, money loaning, real estate operations, stock business, etc., in which he has been eminently prospered. The first Jewish wedding in Harvey County was celebrated with much eclat, May 9, 1882. Eliza Gerson, eldest child of Joseph Gerson, was the bride, and Abram Cole, of Chicago, the bridegroom. Rev. Mr. Eppstein, of Kansas City, performed the marriage ceremony, which was followed by a magnificent banquet, at which two hundred couples were present. The bride received many and costly presents, including a valuable house and lot from her father. Mr. Gerson is a member of B'nai B'rith of Chicago, A. F. & A. M. I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
A. B. GILBERT, cashier of the First National Bank, located at Newbury, Wabaunsee Co., Kan., in March, 1870, remaining there until he removed to Newton in July, 1872. His first employment in Newton was as book-keeper and clerk in the hardware business, in which he continued until 1875. He was elected at that time County Treasurer, having previously served as deputy County Treasurer under S. Lehman for two years. He filled the office of County Treasurer from 1876 to 1880, also taking charge of Mr. Lehman's books from 1876 to 1878. Mr. Gilbert is a native of Newbury, Geauga Co., Ohio, born May 30, 1845. he lived in his native county until he was about eighteen years of age, and from that time until he came to Kansas, in Cleveland, Ohio employed as a bookkeeper, serving during his residence in Ohio 100 days in the One Hundred and Seventy-first Ohio Infantry, known as the National Guards. He was married in Troy, Ohio, February 9, 1868, to Lavina Glendenning, of Middlefield, Ohio. They have two children -- Lawon and Minnie. Since Mr. Gilbert has been a resident of Newton he has served as Alderman of the First ward several years, member of Board of Education several years, City Clerk four years, and as treasurer of Board of Education several years. He is a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
CHARLES W. GOSS, grocer, and a member of the firm of Grove & Goss, located at Newton, in July, 1877. He was employed as a salesman in a dry goods store until 1882, and engaged in his present business in July, 1882. he was born in Bremen, Marshall Co, Ind., August 14, 1859, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., subordinate Lodge and Encampment, and the A. O. U. W. He was married at Newton, Kansas, December 16, 1880, to Kittie L. Love, a native of Kansas, her father Robert C, Love, being one of the early settlers of the territory, having lived at Leavenworth, Topeka, Larned and Newton. Mr. and Mrs. Goss have one daughter Jessie.
WILLIAM E. GROVE, grocer, settled in Newton Township, March 28, 1878, and removed to the city of Newton in April, 1878; after locating in the city he worked at the carpenter's trade one summer, and then engaged in the mercantile business, having been associated with Charles Goss in the grocery trade since July, 1882. Mr. Grove was born at Akron, Summit Co., Ohio, November 18, 1853, and married in the came town October 16, 1877, to Marie E. Diehl, a native of Manchester, Summit Co, They have one child, John L. Mr. Grove is a charter member of the A. O. U. W. He removed from his native State to Kansas.