|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCCARTHY - NORTON).
MILBURNE E. McCARTHY, M. D., was born in Lebanon, Ky., June 5, 1828. He was educated in the public schools and at St. Mary's College in Nelson County, Ky. He attended a course of lectures at the Louisville Medical College, then University of Kentucky, in 1852, and entered the American Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio from which he graduated in 1855. The following year he attended hospital lectures at Commercial Hospital, Cincinnati. He also graduated from Fallon Medical College, St. Louis, and commenced practice at Wilberton, Fayette Co., Ill., remaining there and in that vicinity eighteen years. Subsequently lived in Minoka, Woodford Co, Ill., nine years, and from thence moved to Peru, Neb., whence he came to Kansas, in April, 1880, and has since resided in Emporia and Newton, being at the present time largely interested in farming. Dr. McCarthy was married in Wilberton, Ill., May 17, 1858, to Mary A. Wilborn, daughter of Judge Willis Wilborn, and a native of Crittendin County, Ky. They have three children -- John S., and the twins, Milburn P. and Mary D. Dr. McCarthy is a member of the Baptist Church and the A. F. & A. M.
JOSEPH MCGRATH, upholsterer, was born in Ireland in 1845, and emigrated in 1864, arriving in America in February of that year. He located first in Chicago, where he lived a few months, and then went to St. Louis, Mo., and thence to Sedalia, where he remained ten years, afterwards returning to St. Louis. He is the inventor of the McGrath bed lounge, which is operated by a most perfect self lifting lever. Mr. McGrath was married in Sedalia, Mo., January, 1870, to Marge Riley, a native of Indiana. They have six children living -- Annie, John S. W., Joseph, William E., Mary and Leonard Felix. Mr. McGrath is a member of the Catholic Church.
J. F. MCGRATH was born in Worcester, Mass., March 14, 1833. In about 1854 he removed from his native city and located in Portage City, Wis., remaining there about five years. he then removed to Vernon, now Genoa County, and engaged in mercantile business at the place then called Bad Ax, being also agent of the Dubuque Packet Company. He was while residing there Chairman of Town Board, Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. In 1863 he removed to Hastings, Minn., where he engaged in produce business, and remained until he came to Kansas and located at Peabody, early in the winter of 1874. He engaged in produce business there also, and remained until May, 1876, when he came to Newton and continued the same business in that place. In the fall of 1877 he went into the grocery business which he still continues. He is a director of the Newton Loan & Trust Company and is interested in the Newton Creamery, being president of the association. Mr. McGrath is a member of the Baptist Church and also of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery. He was married at Groton, Tompkins Co., N. Y., in May, 1858, to Eliza A. Peck, a native of that place. Their children are Warren F. and Carrie May.
B. MCKEE came to Kansas and located at Topeka, April 6, 1876. While residing there he was engaged for one year as a carpenter, and was two years in the grocery business, a portion of the time for himself. He was also clerk in a store for a year, and three years baggage master for A. T. & S. F. R. R. and cashier for two years. He came to Newton, January 20, 1876, as agent for same road, having charge of all the various departments of the company at that place, and employing five men in the business. Mr. McKee was born in Independence, Washington Co., Pa., December 28, 1840. When twenty years of age he went to Indiana, where he remained until October 3, 1861, enlisting at that time at Logansport, Ind., in the Twelfth United States Infantry, in which he served for three years. He was wounded and taken prisoner, August 30, 1862, at the second battle of Bull Run, and was afterwards employed, for about six months, in the recruiting service. After leaving the service, he went to Logansport, Ind., where he remained until his removal to Kansas. He was married in Norristown, Pa., October 11, 1864, to Maggie T. Tarrance, a native of that place, and they have four children -- Harry C., Albert Ewing, Milo Dale, and Ethel. Mr. McKee was one of the original stockholders and directors of the First National Bank and is one of the directors of the Newton Loan and Trust Company.
H. C. MCQUIDDY, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Newton, own 160 acres, 100 acres under cultivation, all enclosed with hedge fences; has three horses, forty head of cattle, and ten hogs. Was born in Tennessee, in November, 1840, and fitted himself as a teacher. But the war breaking out, he enlisted in 1862, in Company F., Fifth Regiment Tennessee federal Cavalry but was shortly thereafter promoted to Sergeant Major of his regiment and after the battle of Murfreesboro was promoted to Captain of Company D and sent with two companies of his regiment with Col. Straight, on his expedition into the enemy's country and was captured with his command and was sent to Libby Prison, where he remained one year, then was sent south to Macon, Ga. and from there to Columbia, S. C. He made his escape twice, but was recaptured each time. But when Sherman started for the sea, they had to remove their prisoners again, and on their way he cut a hole in a box car and escaped again, and made his way to Knoxville, Tenn. After he made his escape, was detailed to act on court martials, and was finally mustered out at Washington, D. C. in May, 1865. After the war he returned to his home in Tennessee, and took an active part in politics. For one year he was in the Freedman's Bureau, attending to claims and back pay; then was appointed County Superintendent of Schools for two years. Came to Kansas in 1870, first locating one year in Butler County, but in 1871 he came to Newton, then just starting as a town and remained there until 1875, when he located on his present farm. While in Newton he served ass Mayor for one year, and has just been elected to the same position a third time. He was married in October, 1868, to Miss Amanda E. Harris. They have three children -- George, Arthur, and Robert. He is a Mason.
WILLIAM MCVAY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Newton, own 160 acres; about 100 in cultivation; raises general crops. His wheat average per acre this year is twenty-six bushels. He intends turning his attention more to stock; has at present about twenty head of stock on the place. Was born in Shelby County, Ohio, March 13, 1832, and came from native place to present location in March of 1878. In 1864 he enlisted in Company H, Twenty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, as a recruit and was with his command, in the Twentieth Army Corps, under Sherman, in its march to the sea and through the Carolinas and mustered out at Washington, receiving his final discharge June 22, 1865. Was married in 1855, to Miss Caroline Rodgers. They have four children -- George W., Ella, Earnest A., and Albert L. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
PROF. JOHN A. MAHLER was born at Louisville, Ky, November 30, 1850. His father, A. Mahler, of Carlsruhe, of Baden Baden, was one of the most noted professors of the dancing art in America, being master of ceremonies at the assemblies at Saratoga Springs until his death, June 24, 1882. Since 1876 the sons, Louis, of Fort Wayne; Jacob A., St. Louis; Theodore, of Albany and John A. of Newton, have succeeded to the business which their father established in New York prior to 1849, and in St. Louis in 1853. John A. is a first class violinist, and this accomplishment, in addition to his skill in dancing sand teaching the art to others, makes him independent in his profession. He was married near Huntsvilles, in Randolph County, Mo., April 1, 1879, to Anna Isabelle Loranger, and has one son, Albert John. CHAS A. MALM, druggist immigrated to Kansas, in September, 1878. The following month the he located at Newton, and in November started the jewelry business in the place which he carried on a few weeks, subsequently engaging in the drug business, which he has increased to three times its original size. Mr. M. now carried a general stock of drugs and jewelry. He was born near Broas, Sweden, June 25, 1850 and with an older brother, came to America in August, 1860, locating at Westfield, Chautauqua Co., N. Y. At the age of twenty, he went south and lived six years at Greenville, Ky., and two years at Livermore, Ky., coming from Greenville to Kansas. He was married at Livermore, Ky., March 4, 12874, to Susie M. Mosely, a native of that place. Mr. M. is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery, and was a member of the I. O. O. F. in Greenville, Ky., also Blue Lodge.
S. T. MARSH located in Harvey county in 1871, and in Newton, February 1, 1872, since which time he ha continuously resided in that place. In 1874, he built the first cut tone building on Main streets between fifth and Sixth. This was a two-story building when erected, a third story being added in 1879. In 1876, he erected his second building, a two story brick, next to the Howard House. His third building was a two-story building on Main, between Fourth and Fifth, known as Marsh's block, which was erected in 1879. In 1882, he built the Empire Block, two stories, 25x150 feet, corner of main and Fifth, and is now constructing the diagonal building, corner of Main and Fifth two-story brick, 25x150 having thus added materially to the business prosperity of his town. Mr. Marsh was born in Eaton, Preble co., Ohio, August 14, 1847. He removed to Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio at the age of sixteen, and resided there until he came to Kansas. He was married at Blackfoot, Idaho Ter., October 2, 1881, to Clara M. Barnum, a native of Rochester, Monroe Co., N. Y. Mr. Marsh is President of the Arkansas Valley Land and Loan Company, and also President of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Newton.
ROBERT MARSHALL, farmer, section 27, P. O. Newton, owns 400 acres, about 220 of which is under cultivation, with good frame dwelling, 18x24, with an L, 14x22, one story and a half. Had fourteen horses, ninety head of cattle and forty-five hogs. He was born in Lower Canada, March 4, 1835, and when only sixteen years of age, came with his parents to New York State. From there he went West, locating in Illinois for six years, then went to Iowa, and from there to Kansas, in 1872, locating on his present farm. He was married in 1860, to Miss Ellen Milton. They have nine children -- henry, George, Cornelia, Frank, Elbert, Fred, Harvey, Nellie and William. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
T. MITCHNER, grocer, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., November 4, 1848, removing thence to White County, Ind., when he was six years of age. He lived in White County until January, 1879, when he came to Kansas and located in Newton, where he was engaged in teaming until the fall of 1880. He was then employed as a clerk about a year, and then engaged in his present business. He was married in Prairie township, White Co., Ind., December 24, 1872, to Dorcas C. Nolder, a native of Ohio, and has two children -- Nellie and William. Since December, 1881, Chas. W. Mitchner, his brother, has been associated with him in business, and November 21, 1882, another brother, John entered the firm.
F. P. and A. E. MUNCH located August 24, 1870, at Turkey Township (now Gardner Township), McPherson County. They purchased Section 30, Township 22, range 2 west, of William H. Graham, who it was understood, had settled there in the spring of 1869. At the time of the location of Munch brothers, Patrick Hand and Jack Gummo (who bought their land of Mr. Goodwin, in what is now Alta Township, adjoining the farm of Messrs. Munch), were the only settlers. Munch brothers engaged in stock business three years, and then F. P. devoted himself to farming until 1877. He then engaged in mercantile business in Halstead until January, 1880, when he removed to Canton, McPherson County, and carried on the same branch of business until September, 1880, since when he has been connected with the hardware and implement establishment of S. Lehman, having been a a member of the company since January, 1882. Mr. Munch was born in Zanesville, Ohio, April 4, 1848, and remained at his native home until the spring of 1868, at that time removing to Chillicothe, Mo., where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married in Zanesville, Ohio, March 11, 1871, to Louie M. Spencer, a native of Ohio, born near Columbus. They have two children, the eldest, Verne, born January 13, 1872, being the first child born in Garden Township. the other child is an infant daughter. While a resident of McPherson County, Mr. Munch was Trustee of Turkey Creek Township, and Justice of the Peace. He is a member of A. O. U. W.
CHARLES R. MUNGER, real estate and loan agent, and abstract lawyer, was born in Prairie Ronde Township, Kalamazoo Co., Mich., September 17, 1840. In July, 1872, he removed from his native town to Meridan Township, McPherson Co., Kan., where he remained until he located in Newton, in November, 1876. Since living in Newton he has been State agent for school furniture manufactured by the Buffalo Hardware Company, and in his present business. While in McPherson County, he was engaged in stock, farming, and dealing in agricultural implements. Mr. Munger organized the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Newton, and has been City Clerk one year. He was married at Decatur, Mich., November 22, 1863, to Avida Witter, a native of Walworth, Wayne Co, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Munger have three children living -- Cora M., Charles Russell, and Edith. Mr. M. is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W.
JUDGE ROBERT W. P. MUSE, was born in Harrison County, W. VA. April 22, 1821, and when fourteen years of age went to Savannah, Ga., where he attended school at White's Academy, and also at Beard's High School in St. Mary's; returning to Ohio, he completed his education at Howe's Academy, at Zanesville, at which place he commenced the study of law, completing his legal education in the office of the Hon. Isaac Parish, at McConnellsville. He was admitted to the bar at Newark, Ohio, in 1845, and commenced practice at McConnellsville, the same year. In 1848, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Morgan County, to which office he was re-elected in 1850. He removed to Zanesville, in 1852, and purchased the Zanesville Aurora, which paper he edited and published as a daily and weekly journal for four years. Selling his paper he resumed the practice of law in that city, which he continued until the breaking out of the great rebellion, when, with characteristic promptness he recruited a company for the three months service and tendered his services to Governor Dennison, who promptly accepted them and assigned his company to duty as Company A. Fifteenth Ohio Volunteers. His regiment was at once sent into West Virginia, where they assisted in re-building the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, from Wheeling to Grafton, the Rebels having destroyed it. His regiment was a Phillipi, and supported Heckman's Battery, which there fired the first shot of the campaign. Having surprised the enemy in camp they defeated them and drove them back to Rich Mountain, where they again routed them and followed them to Carricksford, where they again defeated them, killed their commander, Gen Garnett, and so utterly demoralized the Rebel command that they disbanded. returning home at the expiration of his term of enlistment (three months) the Judge at once raised another company for three years service, and again entered the army as Captain of Company A., Sixteenth Ohio Volunteers. Was promoted to Major, and served with his regiment in all the engagements in which it participated until 1863, when he resigned his commission and returned home and resumed the practice of law in Zanesville. he was elected Probate Judge on the Union ticket the same year, to which office he was re--elected in 1866. Declining a re-nomination, in 1869, he moved to Kansas, locating at Abilene, where he purchased considerable property. in 1871, he moved to Newton (his present home) and took charge of the Land Department of the A. T. & S. F. R. R., at that place. He also engaged in the lumber business and began building up the city, and has done much to improve his city and county. He edited and published the Newton Republican for several years, and has occupied a prominent part in the politics of the State and County, having been elected presidential elector on the Haves ticket, in 1876, and again on the Garfield ticket, in 1880, on which occasion he was also elected to bear the vote to Washington. He is the present Mayor of the city and is largely interested in the Harvey County Saving's Bank. The Judge has retired from active law practice, and is now engaged in building and improving property in Newton. He has large property interests in Newton and Harvey County. Owns one-half of the Arcade Block, the finest building of the kind in the State, costing over $60,000, and has done much toward making Newton the beautiful and prosperous city which it now is. The town only ten years old now having a population of nearly 5000. He is the author of the History of Harvey County, is an able writer, a fluent speaker and a man of untiring energy, is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Commandery, also of the I. O. O. F. Judge M. is emphatically a self-made man, having worked his way through his scholastic course, and in everything which he undertakes displays an unflagging zeal which insures success, is ever ready to aid any project which will benefit the people, and is independent and outspoken in advocating what he deems to be right and denouncing that which he believes to be wrong.
S. A. NEWHALL, M. D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, was born at New Ipswich, Hillsboro Co., N. H., October 15, 1832. In 1836 he removed with his parents to Hancock County, Ill., and was a resident of Carthage, the county seat, until 1845, during which time his father died. on account of the Mormon difficulties he removed to Adams County with his mother, and remained until 1850, then returned to Hancock County and remained until 1855; again removed to Quincy, Adams County, entered the service of the C. B. & Q. R. R. and remained in their service most of the time until October 1, 1864, when he enlisted as a volunteer in Company D, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving one year ending October 1, 1865. Then took charge of the C. B. & Q. R. R. Union Yards at Quincy, Ill., and remained in that position until October 1, 1872, when he removed to Newton, Kan., with his family, and was employed on the A. T. & S. F. R. R. for four years as passenger conductor; during which time he was also studying and practicing medicine. October 1, 1876, he left the service of the railroad company, attended the graduating course and in March, 1877, he graduated with honors of his class, from the Homeopathic Medical college of Missouri at St. Louis. Since residing in Newton he has served as a member of the City Council and Board of Health, and as a member of the Board of Education. He is a member of the methodist Episcopal Church in Newton; also a member of the A. F. & A. M.; of the Good Templars, the Ancient Templars and is a life member of the Kansas State Temperance Union, and of the Newton and Harvey County Local Temperance Unions. he is a member and corresponding secretary of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Kansas. Dr. S. A. Newhall was married in Quincy, Ill., January 7, 1856, to Miss Ann P. Doherty, who was born in Ireland and removed to this country when six years of age. They have four children living -- Della A., now Mrs. D. D. Puterbaugh, of Newton, Kan.; Charles H., now in the office of the Northwestern Traffic and Central Iowa Traffic Association in Chicago, Ill., as secretary and stenographer; Carrie A. and Robert Francis -- their second child died at the age of one year in Quincy, Ill. Dr. Newhall is an outspoken Prohibitionist, and has taken a prominent part in the Prohibition movement in the city and county.
PROF. F. A. NORTON, located in Newton in the spring of 1877, for the purpose of taking charge of the public schools of that city. The schools remained under his care two years, and he then engaged in mercantile business, also writing for the Gazeteer of the A. T. & S. F. R. R. Mr. Norton is a native of Ontario; Wayne Co., N. Y. He was educated at Union College, and at the academics and public schools of his county. In June, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Third New York Volunteer Cavalry, being promoted later to Lieutenant, and Quartermaster. He was mustered out in January, 1866, returned to New York and remained there one year, and then came to Marysville, Kan., for the benefit of his health. He taught in Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois from 1867 to 1877, and was married at Hainwell, May 9, 1871, to Lucy A. Hinman, a native of New Havens, Vt. Mr. and Mrs. Norton have two children -- Edwin W. and Grace G.
PATRICK NORTON, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Newton. Owns eighty acres, all in fine cultivation; ten acres enclosed with wire fence; a small orchard of choice fruit, and a good frame dwelling; has six horses, eighteen head of cattle and twenty-four hogs. Came to Kansas in 1876, and located on present farm. He was born in Ireland, in 1822, and came to the United States, in 1843, and stopped for a time in the State of New York, but spent thirty years prior to coming to Kansas in the New England States, most of the time in the marble quarries of Rutland, Vt. He was married in 1852, and has eight children -- John, Patrick, Henry, Malichi, Sarah, Thomas, who is farming the place; Frank, Mary H. and Kate. He is a member of the Catholic Church.