|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
MACON TOWNSHIP (OWEN - VETTERS).
MARVIN S. OWEN, farmer, section 10, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, ninety acres under cultivation; all enclosed with good hedges and cross hedges; has a small orchard, frame dwelling of four rooms and stable for eight horses, windmill, for grinding feed and other out buildings. His wheat average is 25 bushels; has seven horses, 11 head of cattle and 35 hogs. Mr. Owen was born in Courtland County, N. Y., in 1809 and in 1818 emigrated with his parents to the wilds of Medina County, Ohio. At that time there were only five buildings where the city of Cleveland now stand, and the country was unbroken wilderness which had to be cleared before a crop could be raised. They were subject to great hardships in those early days in Ohio, having no markets and having to pay large prices for the necessities of life, besides spending days in going to and from mills, which were scarce. He had made his home in Ohio until coming to Kansas in March, 1880, and locating on his present farm. He was married in 1839, to Miss Prudence Coats, who died in 1848, leaving three children Leroy, Harrison and Charles. He was married a second time in 1854 to Martha Brown. They have three children -- A. E., Styles H., and Hattie B. He is a member of the Baptist Church and while in Ohio, was a member of the School Board for three years. His sons A. E. and Styles H. are superintending the farm, Mr. Owen being too old for active life.
THOMAS PATTERSON, retired farmer, Section 19, P. O. Halstead. James W. Patterson and John W. Patterson, son of Thomas Patterson, now own and run the farm, and the stock on the farm. The farm consists of 320 acres, 180 under cultivation, all enclosed with hedge and wire fence. Has a fine orchard of ten acres, and four acres of cultivated timber, There is also on this farm a good frame house, 16 x 28, two stories, and L 14 x 18, one story, barn 14 x 18 with granary, shed, etc. He also has another dwelling on the place, 14 x 16, occupied by his son. Has 3 horses, 5 mules, 54 head of cattle and 20 hogs on the farm. Mr. Patterson came to Kansas in 1874 and located on this place. He was born in Wayne County, Ohio, March 15, 1815, where he lived until 1853, when he removed to Illinois and came from there to Kansas to find a healthy country for his family and is enthusiastic in praise of the country in this respect, and says he enjoys Kansas more than any other State he has ever lived in. After Mr. Patterson came to Kansas he retired from labor. He still lives on the farm and has the use of a part of the house but keeps his own table, one cow and pays his own way. He was married December 26, 1844, to Miss Hanna E. Ammerman, who died December 1, 1845, leaving one child -- Elizabeth. He was married a second time April 2, 1847, to Miss Christine Cutter. They have two children living -- James and John W. They lost two children by death in Illinois -- Lewis and Mary E. He was originally a Methodist, but on coming to Kansas joined the Evangelical Lutheran Church being one of the original members and is class leader. In Illinois was Township Trustee and on the School Board for ten years, and has been on the School Board in Kansas four terms.
AMOS PROUTY, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Newton, owns 170 acres, all under cultivation except ten acres; barn lot, with a fine bearing orchard of eleven acres, and fifteen acres of fine cultivated timber, all maple, black walnut and ash, all enclosed with hedge and cross hedges, with a fine stream of living water running through one side of the farm,. Has a good frame dwelling, 16 x 26, with L 12 x 16; barn 24 x 32, and all other outbuildings needful. Was one of the pioneers of this locality, locating on this farm in August, 1871. He was born in Vermont, December 21, 1815, and when two years of age his parents removed to Massachusetts, where he lived until 18?9, when he emigrated to Illinois, and came from there to Kansas. He was married July 28, 1835, to Miss Mary L. Stone, who died February 2, 1877, leaving nine children -- William H., Simon H., John M., Franklin A., Mary E., Henry W., Alice J., Lulu A. and Lewis A. He was married a second time February 25, 1880, to Mrs. Susan Summers. He enlisted in 1861, being then forty-six years of age, in Company G, Twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and on the organization of the regiment was appointed Second Sergeant of the company, and shortly afterward was promoted to Orderly Sergeant of the company, participating with his command in Grant's first battle of Belmont, Island No. 10, Fort Pillow and the siege of Corinth; after which, being very sick, he was discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability in October, 1862. Mr. Prouty is and has been a very active and prominent citizen, being one of the original commissioners appointed on the organization of Harvey County and appointed a second time to fill vacancy and elected to fill one term. He is now Justice of the Peace and has held the position here and in Illinois for over thirty -five years, marrying in the time over 100 couples. He is very active in educational matters, being now Treasurer of the School Board and has been identified in educational interests in some capacity nearly ever since he was twenty-four years of age. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.
JOHN N. PROUTY, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation, enclosed with hedge and wire, dwelling 14 x 24 with L 12 x 12, one and a half stories; barn 16 x24, with corn crib and driveway 16 x 24. Also a tenant building of four rooms and small orchard, and two groves of cultivated timber. Came to Kansas in August, 1871, and located on Section 4, in this township and has improved a number of places in Macon and Emma Townships and bought this place and located here in the fall of 1882. Was born in Illinois, February 21, 1844, and made it his home until coming to Kansas, with the exception of two years spent in Iowa. Enlisted in January 2, 1864, in Company G, Twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and served in Tennessee, in the Atlanta campaign, participating in the engagements of Rocky Face, Altoona and Resaca, and was desperately wounded on the skirmish line near Calhoun, Georgia, being shot in the left side between the sixth and seventh ribs and he still carries the ball, supposed to be embedded in the lung and was never able for service again, and was mustered out in August, 1865. Was married January 27, 1865, to Miss Sarah E. Noble. They have two children -- Ettie May and Gracie V.
L. A. PROUTY, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Newton, owns 150 acres, 125 in cultivation, all enclosed with good hedge, and two cross hedges; small orchard and grove of cultivated timber, with good frame dwelling 14 x 18, L 12 x 10, one and a half stories; barn 24 x 24, corn crib and sheds for stock; has seven horses, nine head of cattle and twelve hogs. His wheat average this year, 1882, is twenty-two bushels per acre. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1876 and located in Emma Township and came to present farm in 1876. Was born in Illinois, October 20, 1852, and came from native place to Kansas. Was married July 28, 1871, to Miss Blanch Pullen. They have three children -- Bertha, Bella and Linda.
WILLIAM H. PROUTY, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 130 under cultivation, with orchard of four acres, and all enclosed with good stock-proof hedge; has a good frame dwelling 24 x 32, with L and porches, costing $800, with barn, stable and out buildings. He came to Kansas in 1870, and took the first claim in Macon Township. He was born in Wooster, Mass, August 6, 1838, and while a child came with his parents to Illinois where he lived until entering the army in August, 1862, in Company G, Twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Infantry, and went to the department of the Tennessee. Shortly after joining the regiment he was detached to service in Battery A, First Illinois Light Artillery. Returned to regiment a few days before and participated in the battles of Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge and in the Atlanta campaign. After the taking of Atlanta he rejoined his regiment and went back to Thomas' command to engage Hood and at the battle of Franklin was on advanced line which was enveloped and overrun by the rebel charge, and made a prisoner and compelled to bury the rebel dead after the battle and taken from there to Andersonville prison, where he was confined as a prisoner of war until April 6, 1865, when he was paroled and sent to Vicksburg and barely missed being on the ill-fated Sultana by an accident and finally was mustered out June 1, 1865, and returned to his home in Illinois. He was married February 27, 1867, to Miss Calista Trask, a native of Iowa. They have four children living -- Edna, Alice, Bly and Corney. His daughter Alice is the first child born in Macon Township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and has held the position of Treasurer of Harvey County Agricultural Society for six years; also treasurer of the Township six years, and is a member of the School Board, which position has held for four years.
DAVID REEVES, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation, all enclosed and separated into fields with over four miles of stock-proof hedge fence, has orchard of three acres and grove of cultivated timber of five acres; fine frame dwelling 22 x 14 with l 14 x 16, one and a half stories, with barn 16 x 28 and stock and sheep yards, corrals, etc. He makes a speciality of sheep and hogs and has at the present time 230 head of fine sheep and fifty hogs of best stock. Came to Kansas in 1874 and located here. Was born in Indiana, December, 10, 1820, and in 1845 moved to Illinois where he resided until he came to Kansas. He was married, August 10, 1841, to Miss Sarah Spurgeon. They have six children -- Robert, John, Martha, Loretta, D. A., and M. D. His son M. D. Reeves, is associated with him in farming the place, and in the stock business. He was married March 3, 1880, to Miss Belle Chambers. They have one child -- Frank W. Mr. Reeves, the elder has held the position of Township Supervisor for three years and is now Township Treasurer and also representative elect for Harvey county.
R. L. REEVES, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Newton, owns 240 acres, 100 under cultivation, all enclosed with hedge and wire fence, two acres in orchard and six acres in cultivated timber, with fine frame dwelling, 16 x 24, with L 14 x 20, and kitchen 12 x 14, all two stories costing $1,800. Corn crib and granary 24 x 25, cow and horse barn, stock sheds, corrals and carpenter shop. Has four horses, twenty-six head of cattle and thirteen hogs. He was born in Indiana, July 30, 1842, and came to Illinois when a child with his parents and from there to Kansas, in 1874, locating on his present farm. Enlisted in 1861, in Company B, Eighth Regiment Illinois Cavalry and served with his command in the army of the Potomac and participated in a great number of engagements among them the Morasses Station, seven days before Richmond, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Falling Water, Wilderness and Spottslyvania Court House and was mustered out October 2, 1864, on expiration of term of service. He was married January 1, 1866, to Miss Angeline Frank, a native of Vermont. They have three children -- Myrtie, Retta and David. Is a Mason and a member of the G. A. R. and Methodist Episcopal Church and a member of the School Board two terms.
A. P. SMITH, farmer, section 4, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 110 in cultivation, with about 275 rods of wire fencing, and enclosed with hedge; three acres in orchard bearing, twelve acres in cultivated timber, fine frame dwelling 22 x 38, with kitchen and porches, costing $700. Barn 14 x 32 with cattle sheds, corrals, etc. Rasies general crops, wheat average twenty-two and half bushels and oats forty-one per acre; has four horse, eleven head of cattle and fourteen hogs. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1874 and located here. He was born in Illinois December 22, 1848, and came from there to Kansas. He was married October 7, 1872, to Miss Martha Reeves, whose father D. Reeves is Representative elect for Harvey County. They have one child -- Ida. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church also a member of the School Board in District No. 42.
WILLIAM M. SPORE, farmer and fruit-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, 125 under cultivation, all enclosed with good hedge fencing and cross fencing dividing the farm into five fields; has a fine orchard of twelve acres of the best selections of fruit, also blackberries, grapes and a native currant of great value. He has a grove of cultivated timber extending across the north of the farm and an orchard entirely surrounded with timber and pasture surrounded on three sides, which perfectly shelters his orchard, as well as his stock; he also makes a speciality of raising fine hogs and cattle. Has five horses, twenty-three head of cattle and seventy-five hogs. Came to Kansas in April, 1871, and located on this farm. He was burned out in 1873, and eaten out by grasshoppers in 1874. He was born in Upper Canada, in January, 1837, and when a child, his parents moved to Cleveland, Ohio and when sixteen year of age, removed to Illinois where he lived until 1869, when he moved to Missouri and moved from there to Kansas. Enlisted in 1862 in Company D, Ninety-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with his command in a number of skirmishes and battles, among them Prairie Grove, Vicksburg, Yazoo City, Mobile, Spanish Fort and others and was mustered out in 1865. He was married March 4, 1866, to Miss Minerva Skeen, who died May 22, 1872, leaving three children -- Zenas G., William F., and Mary A. He was married again July 22, 1874, to Miss Sarah Ronecker. They have four children -- Ola D., Roy E., Charles S. and Hattie G. Was Clerk of the School Board for seven years.
Z. S. SPORE, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Halstead, owns 320 acres, 160 in grass, and 160 all enclosed with hedge; 140 in cultivation and divided with hedge into sixteen fields and lots. Makes a specialty of nursery stock, fruit growing, and raising fine stock. Has twenty five acres of bearing orchard and nursery, one half acre in vineyard, and all kinds of small fruits, and has an extensive fruit business. He commenced his nursery in 1876 and this business alone has yielded a yearly average of about $1,000. Raises Short-horn cattle, Poland-China hogs and Plymouth Rock chickens. Has seven horses, three mules, thirty-five head of cattle, 100 hogs and 330 sheep. Has a dwelling 40 x 40, two stories with cellar under the whole house, costing $3,600. Barn 40 x 58, costing $1,000 and corrals, stock sheds, wagon scales and windmill pump. Was born in Ohio, August 14, 1841, and moved to Illinois with his parents in 1852. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteers and served with his command in the Western department, participating in the engagements of Sugar Creek, Pea Ridge, siege of Corinth, Stone River, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and in the Atlanta campaign until the fall of that place and was wounded in the battle of New hope where his division lost 1,700 men on the charge, and was mustered out in the fall of 1864, on expiration of term of service. After the war he engaged in keeping a hotel in Illinois, and in 1870 went to Missouri and from there to Kansas in 1871, locating on his present farm, then a raw prairie and for the first six months lived in his wagon. Was married November 28, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Cutter, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Georgianna and Ezra Lee. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., also Encampment and the G. A. R. Is a member of the School Board and has been ever since organization of district. When the township was organized he was appointed Justice of the Peace, which position he held for eight years. Is Township Trustee and has been for three years. Is the president of the Harvey County Horticultural Society and vice-president of the State Horticultural Society; also a member and principal stock owner of the Harvey County Agricultural Society and director for Macon Township, also a member of the Horse Protective Association and was its captain for two years. Raised in 1882, 3,400 bushels of wheat, 4,900 bushels of corn, and sold $3,000 worth of fruit and produce. Thinks general farming a success and that fruit can be readily and successfully grown by being protected on the south and west by windbreaks.
GEORGE H. VETTERS, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Newton, own 480 acres, 320 in cultivation. Has a dwelling 16 x 32; barn 16 x 20 and granary 20 x 24. Raises general crops but makes wheat a specialty. Wheat average in 1882, twenty-three bushels per acre. Has four horses, three mules, one milk cow, and seven hogs. Mr. V. bought this farm of the A. T. & S. F. R. R. Co., in 1878 and had it improved and farmed before coming on it, in April 1882. Was born in Germany, in 1840, and came to the United States when four years old, locating in Wheeling, Va., and when eighteen years of age went into the iron works and has been an iron worker all his life to the present time. His mother is living with him and presiding over this household.