|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
MACON TOWNSHIP (AKIN - MILLER).
SAMUEL AKIN, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Newton, owns 165 acres, all in cultivation with 7 acres in bearing orchard, 6 acres in cultivated timber-walnut, dwelling 24 x 28 and barn 28 x 32; has 6 horses, 42 head of cattle and 24 hogs. Came to Kansas and located here February 26, 1871, and was the pioneer of this locality, and having plots of land in this neighborhood located most of the early settlers on their land. When he came to Newton was not thought of; the nearest place was Sedgwick City, which then had 6 houses in it; and was in Newton when the first business was started there, which consisted of a board put for a bar over which they were selling whiskey. Mr. Akins was born in Chester County, Pa., September 16, 1826, and in 1855 came first to Kansas but went out into Johnson County from Kansas City and seeing the state of the country decided not to locate and went back to Illinois and located in Bureau County. In 1860 he went to the mountains walking the whole distance from St. Joe, Mo., to Camp Gregory in less than a month, but returned to Illinois the same year and remained there until coming to Kansas. Was married September 21, 1847 to Miss Susan Walker, who died January 6, 1872, and was the first death in Macon Township, leaving five children -- Frank, Henry, Louisa E., William P. and Lee. Is a Mason.
W. H. BLACK farmer and stock raiser, Section 16, P. O. Newton, owns 320 acres, finely improved, all in cultivation and enclosed in good hedge fence besides cross fences; has over six miles of hedge on place; also small orchard with fine frame dwelling 14 x 18 with L 12 x 12, with addition 12 x 20, all one and a half stories high, costing about $1,000; with good barn 18 x 32, also a wind feed mill for grinding feed for stock, costing about $1,000; with extensive sheds and stock yards and a large scale. He makes a speciality of raising fine stock, has at present 650 head of cattle, all heifers and a pedigreed Durham bull and 235 hogs of the best breed. Came to Kansas in 1874, and bought this place, and located here with his family in the fall of 1875. He was born in Pennsylvania April 2, 1850, and spent ten years in Illinois prior to coming to Kansas. He was married November 3, 1875, to Miss Laura Kirrin, a native of Indiana; they have one child -- Harry L.
JAMES CLELAND, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, eighty under cultivation with hedge fencing has also a blacksmith shop on the place which he runs part of the year. Has 2 mules, 2 cows and 5 hogs. He was born in Ohio, June 27, 1829, and immigrated to Indiana with his parents when a child and came from there to Kansas, locating here in 1879. He was married January 20, 1853 to Miss Elizabeth Clark; they have six children -- Sarah E., Irwin E., Charles W., Arthur R., Laura B and Clara M. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the I. O. O. F. Enlisted in 1862 in Company F, One Hundredth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and went with his command to the department of the Tennessee and was detailed as blacksmith in Brigade Wagon train and was in the Atlanta campaign and Sherman's March to the Sea and north through the Carolinas and to Washington City and was mustered out in June, 1865.
MARTIN COVERT, farmer and horse breeder, Section 20, P. O. Halstead, owns 140 acres, eighty under cultivation, all enclosed with good hedge fence, four acres in orchard, dwelling and stables. Has nine horses, eighteen head of cattle and fifteen hogs. He makes a specialty of raising fine horses for roadsters. Came to Kansas March 26, 1870, and located on this place, being one of the first settlers of Macon Township. When he landed here he had but $5.35 in money and paid $ 5 for breaking sod to build him a sod house to live in but by hard work, energy and management is in good circumstances, in spite of the fact that he was burned out by a prairie fire in 1873, losing everything he had but one cow and one pony and was eaten out by grasshoppers in 1874. He was born in Ohio, November 22, 1843, and came from Ohio to Kansas. Enlisted in 1861 in Company F, Seventy-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was with his command in West Virginia and was in a number of skirmishes and battles, among others McDowell, Strausbury, Cross keys, Slaughter Mountain, and second Bull Run and Chancellorsville in Virginia and Gettysburg in Pennsylvania then went to South Carolina and was in the siege of Fort Wagoner and in the Florida campaign and was mustered out December 24, 1864. He was married October 11, 1866, to Miss Sarah M. Linley. Is a Mason, also a member of the I. O. O. F. and Fraternity Encampment and the G. A. R.
FRANK DEVLIN, farmer and Superintendent of Harvey County Infirmary, Section 10, P. O. Newton. The farm consists of 160 acres, seventy acres under cultivation, all enclosed with hedges and cross hedges, making four forty acre fields. The county building is 16 x 36, two stories, erected in 1880 and on February 25, 1881, received its first pauper and has had up to 1883 sixteen in all and at present five. He has in stock belonging to the county two horses, three milk cows, and two yearlings. Mr. Devlin came to this place when first started by the county and for one year worked the place on shares. He then owned all the stock, but his time so taken up by looking after the inmates that his personal interests suffered. At the close of the year he sold his stock to the county and is now employed at a fixed salary. He was born in New York State March 17, 1848, and when a child moved with his parents to Pennsylvania where he was engaged in the iron works until 1873, when he moved to Illinois and came from there to Kansas in 1878 and located in Newton where he owns a dwelling and four lots. He was married July 6, 1870, to Miss Maggie Oster, a native of Illinois. They have four children -- John, Ella, Thomas and Mabel.
WILLIAM HARDAKER, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation, five acres of fine orchard surrounded by twenty acres of cultivated timber, all enclosed with good hedge fence with cross hedges cutting the farm into fields, good frame dwelling, barn sheds, etc. His wheat this year averaged twenty-two bushels per acre. Has four horses, twenty-four head of cattle and thirty-five head of hogs. Intends going into stock and grain combined. Came to Kansas in May, 1861, and located in Riley county, and moved from there to Republic County in 1867. While in Republic County the Indians were bad and came and killed some of the settlers and took off a Miss White as prisoner. Mr. H. with others pursued them but failed to recapture her. They had frequent Indian scares and had to be on their guard continually. He was born in England, August 5, 1834, and came to the United States in May, 1857, and stopped six months in Pennsylvania and then went to Indiana and remained until coming to Kansas. He enlisted in 1862 in Company G, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and was with his command in all their campaigns and scouts in Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas. His company was for a long time detached as a body guard for Major General Curtiss. He was married May 28, 1866, to Miss Jeanna F. Westover, whose father Lorenzo Westover was one of the early settlers of Kansas coming in 1855 and locating in Riley County. He now lives at Clyde, Cloud county. Mr. H. has been a resident of Kansas since 1855. They have four children -- Emma, Minnie B., Arthur and Harry E. Mr. Hardaker was County Surveyor while in Republic and also at different times a member of the School Board.
WILLIAM HUFFMAN, farmer, Section 38, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation, one and a half miles of hedge, good orchard of all kinds of fruit, frame dwelling 14 x 24, stable, etc. Wheat average 24 bushels and oats 40 bushels per acre; has 2 mules, 2 horses, 2 milk cows, and 3 hogs. Came to Kansas in 1867, but after looking around went on to Colorado and New Mexico and returned to Kansas and located here December 25, 1870, and commenced improvements in 1871. He was born in Knox County, Ind., March 20, 1842, and came from there to Kansas. Enlisted April 19, 1861, in Company B, Fourteenth Regiment Indiana Infantry, and was the first man to enroll his name from Harrison Township, Knox County, and went with his command to West Virginia and participated in the engagements at Rich Mountain, Cheat Mountain and Camp Bartow and from there to Winchester, Port Republic and second Bull Run, Antietam, and Fredericksburg, where he was severely wounded with a fragment of a shell. After recovering from his wounds he returned and participated in the battles of the Wilderness and Cold Harbor and was mustered out June 16, 1864. Re-enlisted in February, 1865, in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to First Lieutenant February 21, and to Captain, March 29, 1865, and was mustered out October 17, 1865, on Special Order No. 68, Headquarters Department of Tennessee. Is a Mason, being a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter.
GEORGE HUPP, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Newton, owns 240 acres, 180 in cultivation all enclosed with good hedge fence and cross hedges to divide his farm into fields; has four acres in orchard, good frame dwelling, barn 16 x 22, double corn crib and driveway 16 x 24, and wind mill pump. Wheat average 23 bushels and oats 45. Has 10 horses, 38 head of cattle and 32 hogs. Came to Kansas in 1868 and located in Johnson County and came to his present farm with his family in 1872 but homesteaded the place in 1871. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, and when a child his parents moved to Knox County, Ohio lived there until 1866, when he went to Illinois, and after remaining there two years, came to Kansas. Enlisted in August, 1862, in Company F, One Hundred and twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and went with his command to the Department of Tennessee first participating in the engagement at Perryville, Ky. In the Chickamauga fight his command was held in reserve and was first posted in rear of the left of our army and when the right gave way they went on double quick in rear of center to check the advance of the rebels on our right, and withstood charge upon charge, thus preventing the turning of Thomas' flank and saving the army. After Chickamauga was in the Atlanta campaign and were skirmishing and fighting almost constantly from Chattanooga to Atlanta, and on the campaign built twenty-eight lines of breastworks. After taking Atlanta his command was sent to Athens, and then joined Sherman on his March to the sea and participated in the taking of Savannah, Ga. and through the Carolinas, fighting the battles of Averysboro and Bentonville. After the surrender of Johnston's army marched to Washington, D. C. and was in the grand review and was finally discharged June 15, 1865. Was married January 23, 1872, to Miss Lizzie McArgie, a native of New York. They have five children -- Walter, Frank, Sarah, Louisa, and Abbie. Has been Township Trustee five years, Township Treasurer three years, Township Clerk one year and Clerk of School Board two years.
F. T. JACOBS, farmer and wool-grower, Section 5, P. O. Newton, owns 640 acres, 480 under cultivation, 160 acres in pasture, all enclosed in good hedge fence and divided into eighty-acre fields, except pasture; also eight acres of bearing orchard, hedges around and ten acres of cultivated timber. has an elegant frame dwelling house, 28 x 32, with L 14 x 16, two stories with porticoes, verandas, and bay windows with southern exposure; also bath-room and all modern improvements, hot and cold water, etc. costing $3,000. he also has two tenant dwellings costing $600 and $900; barn, 40 x 50. costing $1,300; corn cribs 12 x 24 and 12 x 32; hay house, 30 x 40; and sheep house, 28 x 54, with yards and feed troughs and racks for 500 sheep. Mr. Jacobs came to Kansas in 1872 and located here and commenced farming and stock-raising, exclusively cattle. In 1880 he bought a small herd of sheep as an experiment and was so well pleased with the result that he sold his cattle and has gone into sheep exclusively and has now 520 head, all finely graded stock. He also carries on farming extensively, his wheat crop in 1880 being over 6,000 bushels, averaging twenty-five bushels per acre. He was born in Maryland, September 14, 1841, and when a child went to Illinois with his parents and in 1866 went to Iowa, and from there came to Kansas. He was married January 1, 1871, to Miss Jane Martin, a native of Canada. They have three children, Norman, Samuel, and Henry. While in Iowa he was Assessor and Township Clerk, and shortly after coming to Kansas was elected a member of the School Board which position he has held since.
WILLIAM K. JACKMAN, farmer, section 24, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 100 under cultivation, 25 acres fenced with post and wire, small orchard and good frame dwelling 24 x 52, barn 24 by 40, with 20-feet shed on two sides in addition; has five horses, seventeen head of cattle and fourteen hogs; makes a specialty of fine stock. In addition to farming, in which he is assisted by two sons, he is a contractor and builder, and has erected some of the best business blocks in Newton. Came to Kansas and located this farm in 1871. He was born in New Hampshire, October 9, 1838, and moved to Wisconsin in 1856 and came from there to Kansas. His father, Anthony Jackman, is living with him and is the oldest man in Harvey County and is also a native of New Hampshire and born February 22, 1796, and is quite an active old gentleman. Mr. J. was married in March, 1856, to Miss Lucy Cummings, a native of Maine. They have three children, James, George, and Lucy. He is a member of the Baptist Church, was County Superintendent of Instruction in 1876.
W. W. JACKSON, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 120 in cultivation, all enclosed with hedge, forty acres fenced for pasture, ten acres in orchard and grove; dwelling 20 x 26, and barn 16 x 26; has three horses, three cows and five hogs. Wheat average this year, twenty-four bushels per acre. He was born in Brown County, Ohio, 1837, and when a child moved with his parents to Iowa and from there to Kansas in 1871 and located here. He was married in 1872 to Miss Elizabeth Mathews. They have five children, William N., Jesse G., Richard E., Mary V., and Charles E. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the G. A. R.; enlisted in 1862 in Company E, Thirty-sixth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was with his command at the taking of Fort Pemberton and went from there to Little Rock and on the way to Shreveport, La., was captured while guarding a train and taken to Fort Tyler, Tex., but made his escape and got as far as Arkansas and was recaptured by bloodhounds after being severely bitten by them and taken back to Fort Tyler and was kept for ten months after exchange at the mouth of the Red River. Returned to his Regiment at DuVall's Bluff, Ark., and was mustered out in the fall of 1865.
J. E. LEWIS, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Newton, owns 120 acres, 110 in cultivation; five acres of cultivated timber, and small orchard; one miles of hedge fence, with comfortable frame dwelling and out buildings. Has 2 horses, 6 cows and 15 hogs. Came to Kansas in 1868, and located in Johnson County and came to Harvey County, December, 1870, and located in south edge of Macon Township and came to this place in 1873. He was born in Indiana, January 1, 1852, and when a child moved with his parents to Iowa, and came from there to Kansas. Was married April 19, 1882, to Miss Helen Hall, a native of Indiana but a resident of Jefferson County, Kas., for over twenty years. Mr. L. is of Quaker extraction, and wife a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN LONG, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 110 in cultivation; all enclosed with hedge, stock proof. Ten acres of bearing orchard. 3 acres in grove. Raises general crops; his wheat average of 24 bushels, and oats, 45 bushels per acre. With good frame dwelling, barn and corn-crib, and wind mill pumps. Has 4 horses, 28 head of cattle and 19 hogs. He was born in Hancock, Ohio, July 31, 1836. In 1854 he went to California and was in the Panama riot and was one of six, out of eighty-five, who escaped from the massacre at the railroad depot. While in California, in August, 1861, he enlisted in Company M, First Regiment California Cavalry, and was over three years in the service, and on organization of the regiment, was appointed Orderly Sergeant of Company. Was in the Indian country most of the time; from California through Arizona, New Mexico to Texas. While in the Indian territory, Col. Kit Carson, with two companies of New Mexican troops and four companies of the First California under Major Clare, undertook to surprise a large body of Indians; but being misled by the guide, found the Indians prepared for them, but they routed the Indians and drove them, and stopped to get breakfast and the Indians returned in large numbers and surrounded them and fought all day until the ammunition ran out and they only got away by the determination and management of Major Clare during the night and escaped to their train. Was mustered out in New Mexico November 17, 1864, and returned to Ohio. Was married April 10, 1866, to Miss Elmira Frank, a native of Pennsylvania. they have four children -- Rosetta C., Ora O., Alvin T., and Clara E. He came to Kansas from Ohio, in 1869, first locating in Anderson County and came to present location August 3, 1871. Is a member of the G. A. R.
ABRAM L. MILLER, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Newton, owns 160 acres, 115 in cultivation; enclosed with hedge and one cross hedge; small orchard and grove; good frame dwelling and stable; granary and corn-crib. Has 3 horses, 5 cows and 28 hogs. He came to Kansas in August, 1878, and located here. He was born in Ohio, February 7, 1836, and came from native place to Kansas. He was married May 1, 1856, to Miss Belinda Carter. They have two children -- Alberdie Inez and George Carter. Mr. Miller enlisted in May, 1864, in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Regiment Ohio National Guards, for 100 days and on the organization of the regiment was commissioned Second Lieutenant and with his regiment was engaged in garrison duty at Martinsburg, White House Landing, Fort Powhattan, Bermuda Hundred, City Point and Norfolk, Va., and with his company detailed for duty at Cape Henry Light House and was mustered out December 16, 1864, at Camp Dennison, Ohio.