|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
One of the most enterprising towns on the main line of the A. T. & S. F. Railway is the city of Burrton, located eighteen miles west of Newton, and one and one-half miles east of the Reno County line. With a population of 400 inhabitants and its well earned reputation as a shipping point, Burrton has a bright future.
Burrton was laid off as a town site in the summer of 1873, by the Arkansas Valley Town Company, the town plat being filed for record, September 6 of that year. Before the town was laid off, J. H. Gresham opened a store in a building adjoining the town site on the east. Immediately after the town was laid off, A. W. Ballard erected a blacksmith shop, this being the first building on the town site. The next building was erected by Messrs. Hunt and Moore, in October, 1873, and opened as a general store. J. H. Gresham then moved his store on the town site. These two stores were the only ones in the place for a period of two years. In the spring of 1874, Dr. J. L. McAtee built the first residence and was the first actual settler. He was followed by G. A. Thompson and J. E. Howard, in the order mentioned. The first hotel was opened by A. A. Woodruff, in 1874, in the building now known as the Burrton House. The first birth was that of Bert, a son of A. A. Woodruff in 1874. The first death occurred in the spring of 1875, being that of R. Dunlap, who died from natural causes.
The postoffice, which was established July 1, 1873, J. J. Hunt, Postmaster was first located in the store of J. H. Gresham, and on the completion of Hunt & Moore's store it was moved on the town site. Mr. Hunt officiated a Postmaster until December 24, 1879, when the present incumbent, John Goodwine received the appointment. Money order No. 1, was purchased by C. P. Taylor, July 27, 1879. The building known as the "old schoolhouse" was erected in the winter of 1873-74 at a cost of $1,2000, J. G. Lane being the first teacher. In the spring of 1880, the new building was completed at a cost of $1,500. Both buildings are in use.
In the winter of 1877 the Burrton Mills, a three-story frame, was erected by a stock company. Six months later the mills passed into the hands of Kinney & Hubbard, the present proprietors, who equipped the structure with three runs of buhrs and a forty horse-power engine. The mills now have five run of buhrs, which give it a capacity of 100 barrels daily.
The private banking enterprise of G. A. Vanderveer was established July 8, 1881, and continued under his management until May 19, 1882, when J. E. Howard assumed its management, under the name of the Bank of Burrton.
The Burrton Telephone was established November 2, 1878, by J. A. Collister, of the Harvey County News Mr. Collister transferred his interest to A. C. Bowman, who in turn sold his interest to G. F. White, who run it until the spring of 1881, when it became defunct. The Burrton Monitor was established and the first number issued May 20, 1881, by a stock company, G. Vanderveer, editor. January, 1882, Miles Taylor assumed the editorial chair, and remained as editor in that capacity until January 1, 1883, when he purchased the paper, and is its present proprietor and editor. The Monitor is a seven column folio, is Independent in politics, and has an extensive circulation in Harvey, Sedgwick and Reno counties.
Burrton was incorporated as a city of the third class September 3, 1878. At the first city election, held September 11 of the same year, W. H. Kinney was elected Mayor; J. A. Moore, W. H. Riggs, Thomas Praster, H. C. Palmer and Joseph Jarrett, Councilmen; J. J. Hunt, Police Judge. The Council subsequently appointed John Goodwine, Clerk; R. W. Weymouth, Treasurer; and J. L. McAtee, Marshal. The officers for 1882 are J. A. Moore, Mayor; W. L. Dailey, James Cross, Thomas Collins, A. G. Provine, and W. H. Wilson, Councilmen; A. Perry, Police Judge; Miles Taylor, Clerk; H. Emerson, Treasurer; and Charles Horn, Marshall.
First Presbyterian Church -- was organized February 13, 1874, by Rev. R. M. Overstreet, who held service in Burrton early October, 1873, with eight members. The church organized three miles east of Burrton, in the Page schoolhouse. Mr. Overstreet remained as pastor until May, 1877, when he was succeeded by Rev. J. T. Phillips, who ministered unto the church until November, 1878. He was succeeded by Rev. D. Kingery, the present pastor. Regular services are held in the new schoolhouse, at Burrton.
Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in June, 1873, with seven members, at the then called Ballenger schoolhouse three miles west of Burrton, in Reno county, by Rev. John Harris. Six months later the organization moved to Burrton and held services in the schoolhouse. The following pastors have officiated to date: Rev. John Harris, one year; G. W. Kanabel, one year; _____ Presby, six months; M. M. Haun, one year; W. W. Woodsie, two years; S. Ward, one year; C. B. Mitchel, one year; H. G. Hamilton, one year; and G. H. Matthews, the present pastor, since March, 1882. Present membership seventy.
Christian Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. J. Ellet, who has remained pastor up to date, with eighteen members. Service were held in the old schoolhouse until the fall of 1879, when the present church edifice was completed. the building is a fine structure, 36 x 48 feet and cost $1,200. Present membership forty-five.
Baptist Church was organized in the Boss schoolhouse, two and one-half miles west of Burrton, in Reno County, September, 1876, with sixteen members. In the fall of 1877 the membership had increased to forty-two members. Old Father Camp, the organizer of the church remained two years. He was succeeded by Rev. D. Rowe, who remained two years. Rev. A. Post, the next pastor, officiated one year. Rev. J. H. Howgate, present pastor. In 1877 a frame building was erected and in 1880 was moved to Burrton. Present membership twenty-three.
The Universalists have an organization here, but owing to absence of records, the sketch is withheld. Rev. T. W. Woodrow, of Hutchinson, present pastor.
Burrton Lodge, No 182, A. F. & A. M. was organized in March, 1879, and a charter granted in the winter of 1879-80, with eighteen charter members. First officers were, F. W. Calkins, W. M.; J. R. Parker, S. W.; R. W. Weymouth, J. W.; L. A. Sawyer, Treas.; J. H. Mills, Sec., Present officers -- Wm. Hyde, S. W.; S. J. Atkins, S. W.; W. L. Hamlin, J. W.; C. T. Haines, S. D.; F. M. Payne, J. D.; Wm Harmon, Treas.; J. R. Rogers, Secretary. Regular meeting are held on the first and third Saturday evenings at Masonic Hall. Present membership, thirty.
Farragut Post, No. 37, G. A. R. was organized under dispensation, March 2, 1882. A charter was granted February 14, 1882. Present officers (1883) -- J. S. Elder, P. O.; C. A. Tracy, S. V. C.; D. Kramer, J. V. C.; J. R. Phillips, C. M.; Wm. Sigerson, O. of D.; F. M. Payne, O. of G.; J. S. Collins, Sec.; D. Henselman, Chap.; S. D. Leonard, Adj't. Regular meetings held on first Saturday afternoon of each month at G. A. R. Hall. Present membership, forty-seven.
Burrton Lodge, No 103, A. O. U. W. Was instituted May 2, 1882, with eighteen members. Present officers, 1883, J. D. Sweeney, P. M. W.; O. M. Melet, W. M.; S. J. Wales, F.; P. W. Easting, O.; B. E. Kies, Rec.; J. E. Guy, Fin. Regular meetings are held every Thursday evening at Masonic Hall. Present membership, twenty-three.
Burrton Cornet Band was organized October, 1882, with sixteen members, W. H. Sheppard, leader. A $500 set of instruments was purchased. Officers, J. D. Sweeney, Pres., J. E. Gay, Tres.; Miles Taylor, Sec.
G. W. BOTSFORD, contractor and builder was born in Pennsylvania, July 4, 1837; came to Iowa, in 1841, with his parents who were the pioneers of that locality. In 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Fifth Regiment Iowa Infantry, and served with his command in the West, participating in the early campaign in Missouri, New Madrid, and Island No. 10, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Iuka, and Corinth, where he was severely wounded by gun shot in the thigh and transferred to the Invalid Corps and mustered out July 17, 1864. Came to Kansas in 1865 and engaged in the selling of nursery stock, at Atchison, in the fall of 1866 located in Labette County, and engaged in farming and went from there to California, and spent four years, returning and located in Burrton in November, 1882, and engaged in present business. Was married in 1858 to Miss Jennie Pool, who died February 14, 1865, leaving two children -- Sarah and Margaret. Was married again in 1872, to Miss Rachel A. Culbertson, who died in 1873. Is a member of the G. A. R.
LEICESTER DAY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Burrton, owns 160 acres, 100 under cultivation, twenty-five acres fenced with barb wire. Small grove and dwelling 24 x 28 feet, one and one half stories, stable, carpenter shop and outbuildings for stock. Was born in Vermont, in 1823, and when eleven years of age moved with his parents to Ohio. In 1855, he moved to Wisconsin. In 1861, he enlisted in Company F., Seventh Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and went with his command to the army of the Potomac, and being a mechanic, was detailed in McDowell's Construction Corps and was never actively engaged, although under fire a number of times while constructing bridges and laying pontoons and was present in most of the engagements from second Bull Run to Petersburg. In laying the pontoons at Fredericksburg, was under heavy fire, and at Gettysburg being then in the Pioneer corps, he helped carry General Reynolds off the field, when he was killed by Rebel shooters. In the advance of General Grant's army in 1864, was continually on the front laying bridges for the artillery and in many a close place, and was mustered out near the Weldon R. R. below Petersburg, September 8, 1864. Came from Wisconsin to Kansas and located on his present farm June 30, 1871, and the nearest house was four miles away and had to haul his supplies from Peabody, then the end of the R. R. and lived for quite a time in his wagon, until he got his house up. When the R. R. arrived at Newton, the buildings of Hutchinson in Reno County also commenced shortly after and he being on the direct road between the two places, kept a stage station, called the half-way house, and had a great deal of custom. Has had as many as thirty-eight teams at one time over night. When the town of Burrton was laid out, being a carpenter, he erected a number of the buildings in town, and for three years kept a hotel and feed stable and narrowly escaped being burnt out by prairie fires which destroyed a great deal of property in this vicinity. Was married December 30, 1844, to Miss Christine Curley, a native of Sparta, N. Y. They have eight children -- Malvina A., Elmina D., Catharine M., George, Riley, Pluma J., William W., Hannah Ida, and Giles L. Was on the School Board two terms in Wisconsin and the second Treasurer of Burton Township.
G. W. FLICKINGER, blacksmith and wagon maker, was born in Perry County, Pa., January 5, 1830, where he learned his trade and lived until 1856, when he came west and was employed in the Agricultural Implements Works of John Deere, at Moline, Ill. Made the plow that was sent to the World's Fair at Vienna, also the plow that took the premium at the Centennial Exposition, at Philadelphia, and was employed there until he came to Kansas in 1878. In January, 1865, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers and joined his command near Mobile, Ala., and participated in the taking of Fort Blakely and Spanish Fort; after the surrender was employed in the secret service for a time and was mustered out in February 1866. Organized his business of blacksmith on coming to this place in 1878 and is also engaged in buying grain and feeding stock for shipping and has from $3,000 TO $5,000 invested in this business. Own five lots, a business house and shops in Burrton and 160 acres in Section 6, used as a stock ranch. Was married in 1852 to Miss Sarah Curts, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children -- Flora, Susan, Amos, Alice and Clara. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W., first past master made in Illinois and also past arch Druid of the first lodge organized in Illinois. Was a member of the Board of Supervisors of Rock Island County, Ill., one term and member of the City Council of Moline, Ill., two terms.
ISAAC H. HANEY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Burrton, owns 160 acres, 150 in cultivation, ten acres in pasture; one and one-half miles of hedge; dwelling 16 x 24, L 10 x 24, kitchen 10 x 16; porch, 10 x 24; barn, 24 x 32. Has fifteen acres bearing orchard, five acres cultivated timer; also one mile of cottonwood hedge. His farm is in a fine state of cultivation. Has seven horse and mules, ten head of cattle and thirty hogs. Also owns property in Burrton valued at $1,500. Was born in Ohio, August 14, 1836, and moved with his parents to Wisconsin, when a child of nine years of age. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Twenty-fifth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, but was discharged for disability in the same year. Enlisted again in 1864, in Company B, Forty-third Wisconsin and with his regiment served in Kentucky and Tennessee, and resisted Hood's advance from Bridgeport, Ala., back to Franklin and Nashville, and was taken sick after the Nashville fight and sent to the hospital at Quincy, and mustered out for total disability in the spring of 1865. He came to Kansas in December, 1871, and located his present claim after traveling over portions of Harvey, Sedgwick and Reno counties. Homestead entry was made January 3, 1872. He then returned to Wisconsin and sold what effects he could not bring with him and started to Kansas, March 21, with his family, in two wagons with fifty-six dollars in money. After a hard and laborious trip over muddy roads, he landed on his present farm, with his family of himself and wife and two small children, with only $2.50 and nothing to live upon. The prospect was gloomy, but they went to work in earnest. His wife hired to work out and he engaged at freighting from the end of the railroad to Hutchinson and in a short time had enough to build a small house and in the spring broke ten acres of ground. About this time his horses, not being acclimated, gave out, so he had to go to work on the railroad three months. In the fall, he put up a sod stable and still worked on the railroad and by overwork, cleared $85.00 in two months. When the road reached Fort Dodge he left and returned home and on his way saw the whole county filled with an immense herd of buffalo. The next spring he put in a crop and hunted buffalo and got his meat and fifty dollars from this source. This year the grasshoppers ate him out. He got a job whenever he could of any description. When the Mennonites came in, he hauled lumber for them at a very low rate and managed to get enough to live upon; having two teams, he put his little boy, only seven years old, on one and he took the other and managed in this way. When the aid came for those who were in need, he never applied for or received any and the only thing he ever got in this way was a government overcoat as he felt entitled to that as an old soldier. Since that time he has been steadily advancing in means, every year doing something more on his place and while his team were resting at noon he was planting out trees and at night while others were in bed he was making improvements on his place. Was married, July 2, 1863, to Miss Malvina Day, a native of Ohio. They have two children -- Estella and Alva. He is a member of the G. A. R. and has served on the School Board for three years, having been one of the first board on organization of the district.
D. IGO, merchant, was born in Pennsylvania in 1839 and made it his home until 1861, when he enlisted in Company E., Eleventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and with his command served in the Army of the Potomac and participated in all the general engagements from Bull Run to Antietam, where he was severely wounded and discharged from service on account of wounds. When he made his advance into Pennsylvania in 1863, he joined the First Battalion Pennsylvania Cavalry State Troops and operated in conjunction with the regular troops in the engagement at Gettysburg. In 1864 he re-enlisted for one year in the Two hundred and Eleventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer, First Lieutenant, Company I, and was in the campaign and in front of Petersburg until the end of the war and was mustered out in June, 1865. In January, 1866, he moved to Iowa and in 1868, to Michigan. Came to Kansas in 1873, locating in Mitchell County and engaged in farming. Came to Burrton in 1881 and engaged in the grocery and queensware trade; he has a good trade and carries a stock of about $1,000. His sales for 1882 amount to over $7,000. He was married in 1866 to Miss Martha Matthews, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children -- Paul, Jane and Mabel.
E. JOHNS, lumber merchant, was born in Ohio, in 1841, and when ten years of age his parents moved to Indiana, where he received the benefit of a good common school education. In 1862, he went to Illinois, and in July of that year enlisted on a call for three months troops in Company C, Seventy-eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and with his command was sent to Kentucky to operate against John Morgan and was captured with a portion of his command and paroled and mustered out in the fall of the same year. Came to Kansas in 1878 and located in Burrton and connected himself with the Kansas Lumber Company (which was organized in 1877) as managing partner; having a capital of about $25,000 in lumber, hardware, farm implements and machinery of all kinds, and dealers in grain. The monthly average business is about $8,000. They also have branch houses at Mount Hope and Garden City. Mr. Johns is a practical lumber dealer of twenty-three years experience and the business here is a decided success. He was married in 1867 to Miss Mary D. Brisben, a native of Ohio. They have four children -- Charles C., Emma B., Carrie A., and Mary H. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the G. A. R. and a member of the school board.
CAPT. JOHN R. PARKER, insurance agent, was born in Mason County, Ky., in 1829, and when fourteen years of age went to Galveston, Texas, and ran on a steamship between that port and New Orleans for a number of years and then for a time was a flatboat pilot from Louisville, Ky., to New Orleans. In 1842 he left the river and was engaged for some years in merchandising in Leavenworth, Ind., and in the store boat trade on the river. In 1852 he superintended a large plantation at Island No. 10. In 1859 he went to Mississippi and took charge of a cotton plantation near Fort Gibson, and when the war broke out in 1861, he joined the Black Horse Cavalry in Vicksburg as First Lieutenant, and drilled there for three weeks until he got a favorable opportunity and left clandestinely and came north and reached Cincinnati, Ohio, in April. On the call for three months troops he enlisted in the Company G, Third Ohio Cavalry, but not being able to muster as calvary, he enlisted in the three years call in Company I, Thirty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Col. Grosbeck, and was mustered in July 4, 1861, and served four years, three months and eight days, and was engaged in thirty-one battles of the war; among these, New Madrid, Island No. 10, Shiloh, in the Atlanta Campaign, March to the sea and through all the Carolinas; his last fight being Bentonville, N. C. He marched to Washington and attended the Grand Review and was mustered out at Washington City, in 1865. On the organization of Company was made Second Sergeant November 16, 1861; was made Orderly of the company June 10, 1862; was promoted to Second Lieutenant August 2, 1862; promoted to First Lieutenant April 18, 1863; promoted to Captain and Brevetted Major for gallant and meritorious service on the field of battle at Corinth, Miss., October 4, 1862. Has in his possession five army commissions, eleven commutations, signed and sealed by Government and State Officials. After the war he engaged in the dry goods business at Napoleon, Ohio, and other places until 1868, when he was appointed Station Agent on the Wabash Railroad, near Toledo, Ohio, and in 1870 went to Sheldon, Ill., and engaged in merchandising and came to Kansas in 1871 and located near Peabody, Marion County, and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1874 he was appointed Under Sheriff of Marion County and held that position until 1876, when he came to Burrton and started a hotel and sold out in 1877. Was four years Township Constable and is now engaged in insurance. Has been a Mason since 1856. Is adjutant of the G. A. R. and Trustee of Methodist Episcopal Church and is Clerk of School Board. He was married in 1866 to Miss Sarah Back, a native of New York. They have two children -- twins -- Willis and Wilson.
DR. I. N. PHILLIPS, proprietor of livery stable, was born in Ohio, in 1820, and when eight years of age moved with his parents to Indiana, and obtained a good common school education, and in 1839, commenced the study of medicine in Thorntown, Ind. In 1841 and 1842, he attended lectures at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, under Prof. Brainard, and graduated from that institution in 1842, and commenced the practice of medicine, in 1844, in Thorntown, Ind., and continued there in practice until the spring of 1852, when he located in Champaign County, Ill., and was engaged there in his profession until he came to Kansas in 1857, and located at Humbolt, Allen County, and practiced medicine there for a period of nineteen years. In the early settlement of the county the horse thieves were very bad, and a person could scarcely keep a horse, and the doctor organized a vigilance committee of the law-abiding citizens, and the result was that the horse thieves were his deadly enemies, and he was compelled to go heavily armed and resort to stratagem in various ways to elude them. If called professionally to go north, he would start in the opposite direction and make a detour to avoid them as he knew they would ambuscade him if they could. Being near the border they were very much annoyed by guerrilla bands during the war and at one time about 500 of them came in and captured the citizens of the place, and the doctor with them, and sacked and burned the town, then released them. In the spring of 1876, he moved to Reno County and located on a farm south of Hutchison, and continued the practice of medicine until the 20th of May, 1882, when he made his last visit. He then came to Burrton, Harvey County, started a livery, feed and sale stables, with a capacity for thirty horses. He has five rigs and stock sufficient for the present trade, which is steadily increasing. Was married in 1840 but his wife died in 1863, leaving five children -- Margaret E., Sarah J., Roseline J., Woodford W., William H. Was married again in 1864, to Miss Della Lewis, a native of Pennsylvania. Was divorced from her March, 1876, then married Miss Hart. They have two children -- Hannah E. and I. N. Is a Mason, and a member of the Ancient Order of I. O. O. F. Was Trustee of Sumner Township, Reno County, for three years while residing there, and a member of the School Board a number of years.
The town of Walton is located seven miles east of Newton, on the A. T. & S. F. R. R. and being near the divide between Cottonwood and Arkansas Rivers, is situated on the highest ground in Harvey County. The place, which has a population of about 250 souls, has an excellent location as a shipping point, being surrounded by a good farming country, settled up by a substantial class of farmers. Its business industries comprise two general stores; two groceries; one drug store; two dry goods stores; one elevator; two grain warehouses; one livery stable; two hotels; one blacksmith shop; one shoe shop. A first class flouring mill is needed.
Walton was laid off as a town site in December, 1871, by William Mathews. The original town site consisted of twenty-five acres, which has subsequently been increased to forty acres. The first building was erected by Mathews during the same winter and used as a dwelling. The next building was erected by Baldwin and Glynn, and after its completion was occupied by B. C. Johnson, as a general store. The third building was the railroad section house, which was followed by a stone building erected by Holley and fell. Messrs. H. B. Childs, T. J. Hawley and F. Sanders, were also identified with some of the first buildings.
On account of there being some difficulty in obtaining a perfect title to the lots, the place remained dormant until 1876, since which time a steady growth has marked its progress. Early in the year J. F. Watson became proprietor of the town site and March 11, 1876, he filed a plat of the town.
The postoffice was established in 1871, Mrs. E. Peck as Postmistress. The office was then located eighty rods west of the present town site, and subsequently moved to its present location. Mrs. Peck was succeeded in the order mentioned by R. Horton, H. B. Childs and T. R. Oldham, the present incumbent.
In 1871 a frame schoolhouse, 18 x 20 feet, was erected by subscription, for educational and religious purposes. the first school was held by Mrs. M. J. Sharron. In 1876 another frame building 20 x 30, was erected by the District. these buildings proving inadequate, a new building was erected in the fall of 1882, at a cost of $2,500. In the first school building was held the first religious services, by Rev. B. C. Johnson, of the Methodist Protestant persuasion.
An organization of the Presbyterian persuasion was effected in 1871, but after several years of existence it became defunct. The United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1872-3 with fifteen members. Services were held in the schoolhouse until 1877, when the present church edifice was completed at a cost of $1,500. Rev. J. T. Wilson, present pastor. Present membership, 175. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1876, by the Presiding Elder at that time, with twelve members. Present church edifice was build in 1880, at a cost of $1,500. Present pastor, Rev. A. J. Bixler. Present membership, twenty-five.
The First Baptist Church was organized four miles east of Walton, in the Hutching's schoolhouse, in 1876, by Rev. C. Wyman, the present incumbent. In June 1882, by an official act of the church, the organization moved to Walton. In December, of the same year, work was commenced on a church edifice, which will be completed in the spring of 1883. The Christian Church was organized two and one-half miles south of Walton, at the Mitchell schoolhouse, in 1874. In 1881, the organization moved to Walton. Rev. I. Sumner, present pastor.
S. BECKER, proprietor, Eagle Hotel, was born in the state of New York, in 1830, and moved to Wisconsin in 1852, and was living there when the war broke out. In 1862, he enlisted in Company E., Thirty-second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and with his command participated in a number of skirmishes and engagements near Memphis and Decatur, Ala., and was with Sherman in the Atlanta campaign and on the march to the sea and participated in the grand review and was mustered out in June, 1865, when he returned to Wisconsin. In 1866 he removed to Iowa and remained there until 1871 when he came to Kansas, locating first on a homestead in Marion County. In 1879 he sold his farm and came to Walton and erected his hotel of thirteen rooms at a cost of $1,200, and has since been engaged in the hotel business and is also a contractor and builder and has just completed a fine public school building in Walton, costing $3,000. He was married in July, 1859, to Miss Sarah M. Wright, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children -- Abby E., Henry E., Charles M. and Edith M. He is a member of the Baptist Church and was the first Trustee of Branch Township, Marion County when organized and also Clerk of the School Board.
J. L. CHAPPELL, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Walton, owns 160 acres of land, eighty in cultivation and enclosed with hedge, three acres in orchard, and a small grove of maples. Dwelling 14 x 26, with L 10 x 12 with porches. Barn 28 x 44, double corn crib and wagon shed 16 x 24, stock years, sheds, etc. Has seven horses, five cows and sixty hogs, and is making arrangements to go into stock raising. Came to Kansas in 1877, first locating on Highland Township and bought this place and located here in January, 1881. Was born in Indiana in 1844 and came from his native place to Kansas. Enlisted in 1862 in Company K, Sixty-fifth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Twenty-third Army Corps, Army of the Ohio. His command was organized as skirmishers and was in the advance continually and during the first year captured over 1,500 prisoners in their different skirmishes and engagements. Was at the siege of Knoxville and afterwards on the Atlanta campaign and after the fall of that city followed Hood back into Tennessee and participated in the engagements of Franklin and Nashville and after the defeat of Hood was sent to North Carolina and participated in the taking of Forts Fisher and Anderson and the city of Wilmington and went via Kingston and Goldsboro to Raleigh and after the surrender of Joe Johnston's army was mustered out in June, 1865. Was married January 7, 1869, to Miss Eliza A. Demott, a native of Indiana. They have six children, Stella, Anna, Albert, Willard, Harley, and a baby not named. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Director on School Board.
CAPT. T. R. OLDHAM, book-keeper and grain buyer, in the employ of D. Hamill, Newton, Kan., was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, December 3, 1834, and received a good common school education and lived in Ohio until 1856, when he emigrated to Iowa, and in connection with Mr. Pike started the first newspaper of Osceola, Iowa, called the Osceola Courier, Mr. Oldham acting as editor. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, Thirty-ninth Regiment Iowa Infantry, and on the organization of the regiment was appointed Sergeant-Major, and served with his command in the vicinity of Corinth, Miss., participating in a number of minor engagements, among them Parker's Cross Roads, Tenn. In 1863 he was promoted to the position of Captain of Company E, One Hundred and tenth United States Colored Troops, and was with Sherman's army in the Atlanta campaign. After the capture of Atlanta, his regiment being attached to the Pioneer Brigade of the army, Capt O. was detailed as Judge Advocate by general orders, to act on court-martials and military commissions, and was located at Rome, Ga., and Huntsville, Ala. After the war, in 1865, he was engaged in trying guerrillas, etc., by military commission convened under special order from Major-General Grierson, but before any of the sentences were executed the cases were transferred to the Civil Courts and Mr. O. was mustered out in the spring of 1866, when he returned to Iowa and engaged in general merchandising until coming to Kansas in 1870, and located on a homestead of 160 acres, on Section 28, Walton Township, which he now owns. They have three children, Inez M., now attending the Normal School at Emporia; Lilian M. and David. Since coming to Kansas, Capt. O. has held the position of County Commissioner for Harvey County two terms and Township Trustee a number of terms and in Iowa was Superintendent of Schools for Clark County; January 1, 1881, was appointed Postmaster at Walton, which position he now holds.
DR. D. SHOMBER, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Walton, owns 320 acres, 160 acres improved and hedged, five acres of orchard and three in cultivated timber. Dwelling 28 x 32, with L 10 x 28; barn 20 x 28; corn crib 7 x 40; stock yards, sheds, etc., and windmill pump with feed mill attached. Wheat average for 1882 was thirty bushels to the acre. Has seven horses and thirty head of cattle and fifty hogs. He came to Kansas in 1878 and located here. He was born in Pennsylvania, December 10, 1842, and when the war broke out, in 1861, he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and with his command served in the Second Army Corps of the Potomac and participated in most of the engagements in Virginia, commencing with Fairfax Courthouse. In the Peninsula campaign, from Yorktown and Williamsburg to the Seven Days' Fight ending at Malvern Hill. After that was at second Bull Run and Chantilly, where the Division Commander, Gen. Phil. Kearny was killed and at South Mountain and Antietam and followed Lee back into Virginia and was in two fights at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, where he was wounded and returned to his regiment just in time to participate in the battle at Brandy Station after which he veternized and was in the Grand Advance under Gen. Grant at the Wilderness where he was severely wounded by a shot through the thigh, which was not dressed by a surgeon until eight days after. This kept him on the invalid list until he returned to his regiment in front of Petersburg and was stationed at Fort Hill and was promoted to Sergeant and carried the colors from that on until the final surrender of Lee's army and was mustered out July 11, 1865. After the war he moved to Ohio in 1865 and remained there until 1878, when he came to Kansas. He was married December 28, 1865, to Miss Maria H. Basher, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children, William B., Edward M., James M., and Luella M. Is a member of the German Baptist Church, has been four years on the School Board and is now Treasurer. In addition to his farming, Mr. S. is a practical veterinary surgeon and has an extensive and lucrative practice.