|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCBRIDE - WHITE).
MCBRIDE BROTHERS, came to Kansas in April, 1880, and located in Halstead, and engaged in stock raising, which Mr. M. McBride's brother continued in until January 29, 1883, when he died of smallpox. M. A. M. McBride has been engaged in wagon-making since August, 1880, and also deals in cattle and hogs. When the brothers started business their capital was between 4,000 and 5,000 dollars. The amount invested in the wagon shop was from 300 to 800 dollars.
R. H. MCDONALD, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation; all enclosed with hedge fence, and forty acres fenced with wire for pasture, two acres in orchard and one cultivated timber. Dwelling, 16 x 24 with L, 14 x 20; stable and granary, 14 x 30, cattle, shed, etc. Has seven horses, twenty-six head of cattle and thirteen hogs. Raised in 1882, seventy acres of wheat with an average per acres of thirty-two and one-half bushels. Was born in Iowa, March 10, 1844, and made that his home until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1872, and located here. In 1861, he enlisted in Company M, Second Regiment Iowa Cavalry and was with his command in the New Madrid and Island No. 10 expeditions and at Fort Pillow and was afterward at Farmington, Corinth and Iuka and Franklin and Nashville, where Hood made his raid. After his defeat, his command followed him to Decatur, Ala., and returned to Selma, he was mustered out in September, 1865. Was married, August 23, 1866, to Miss Jenny Sweesy, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children -- Charles H., Thomas C., Lulu and Lucie, twins. He is a member of Methodist Episcopal church, and Clerk of the School Board.
H. D. MARKEL, hardware merchant of the firm of Brown & Markel, came to Kansas in 1876 and located in Halstead Township on 320 acres. Afterward he sold 160 acres and improved 160 and was engaged in farming and stock raising until 1882, when he sold out and moved to Halstead and invested in city lots, of which he owns eight and he has erected buildings on five at a cost of $3,000. January 1, 1883, he associated with C. S. Brown in the hardware business and will open out with a full line of hardware and agricultural implements. Was born in Elkhart county, Ind., January 28, 1847, and was engaged in farming and dairy business and school teaching until coming to Kansas. In 1863, he enlisted, although only a school boy, in Company D., Twelfth Indiana Cavalry and was with his command fighting Hood's advance on his Nashville raid, and engaged at Franklin and Nashville, Tenn., and followed Hood south after his defeat and went from there to Mobile and was mustered out in the fall of 1865. Married March 8, 1876, to Miss Sarah Woodside a native of Ohio. They have two children -- Orrin and William. While living in the country was Clerk and Treasurer of the School Board.
ANDREW OLSEN, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Halstead, owns 240 acres, finely improved, 180 acres under cultivation, five acres of good bearing orchard, 160 acres enclosed with good hedge fence, dwelling 14 x 24, L 12 x 14, granary, 14 x 14, stock yards and sheds. Has seven horses, fifty head of cattle and eight hogs. Came to Kansas in 1869, and located in Osage county and came from there to his present farm in 1870 and was one of the first settlers in this locality. He was born in Denmark, April 2, 1832, and was raised on a farm until twenty-one years old; was then drafted for a soldier and served thirty months, then learned the ship carpenter's trade, visiting during that time Hainburg, United States, South America, West Indies, East Indies; was three years running from London to Australia and Jamaica, West Indies. Came direct from his native place to Kansas in 1863. He was married April 18, 1858, to Miss Catherine Due, a native of Schieswig Holstein. They have two children -- Andrew J. and Caroline M. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and first Treasurer of the School Board on the organization of the district. When he first located here Salina was the first railroad station and it took him eight days to make the trip in good weather. In 1871 the high water drove him out of his house in the the bottom to the high grounds, and all his hay and crops washed away and destroyed. The next year he lost his crops by prairie fire but by perseverance and energy he now has an elegant place with a beautiful avenue of forest trees leading to his house and everything denoting success and comfort.
C. PHILBRICK, grocer, confectioner and dealer in live stock; came to Kansas in 1873, and located in McPherson County, without a dollar and by hard work and the closest economy he now has a well improved farm of 160 acres, with buildings, hedges, and orchard which $3,000 will not buy. In 1878 he rented his farm and moved to Halstead and started the grocery business on a small scale. He carries but a light stock but turns it rapidly, his sales amounting to from $300 to $500 per month. He is also engaged in buying and shipping stock, and shipped the first car of hogs ever shipped from this place. Was born in New Hampshire and January, 1843, and came to Illinois with his parents when only five years old. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Fourteen Regiment Illinois Infantry, and was assigned to the Fifteenth Army Corps and was with his command in the engagements of Grand Gulf, Champion Hills, Black River, Jackson and the siege of Vicksburg. After the fall of Vicksburg he was detailed in a company of mounted scouts and sent to act against General Forrest, near Memphis, Tenn. While there the command went out on an expedition under General Curtis and after a desperate engagement were routed and he was wounded and left for dead on the field where he was found by the rebels and sent to a hospital. As soon as he was able to go on crutches he was sent to prison at Andersonville, when after suffering everything but death he was released, shortly after the surrender of Lee's army in 1865, and mustered out June 10 of the same year. In 1866 he went to Missouri and took a sub-contract on the railroad grading and was defrauded out of all he had, and came from there to Kansas. Was married October 5, 1881, to Miss Alice A. Burrows, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child -- Eva. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Police Judge and member of the Council.
W. C. RAY, carpenter, Section 29, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, 100 in cultivation, partially hedged; dwelling 16 x 32 feet, granary, stable 16 x 20 feet; has three horses and mules, eleven head of cattle. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1876, first locating in Lakin Township and came to present farm in 1877. Was born in Illinois, February 1, 1853, and came from native place to Kansas. Was married January 24, 1877 to Miss Ellen M. Rowlett, a native of Kentucky. They have two children -- Raymond R. and Crete. Is Clerk of Township.
R. M. ROGERS, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres of land, eighty in cultivation, and a small orchard; has fifty acres enclosed with post and wire fence, and is engaging more extensively in stock than heretofore; has now eighteen head of cattle and nine hogs. Came to Kansas in 1872 and bought this place and also owned 160 acres in Lakin Township, where he located and improved, and came to present farm in February, 1882. Was born in Ohio, January 28, 1840, and when ten years of age moved with his parents to Illinois and came to Iowa in 1857, and from there to Kansas. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, First Regiment Iowa Volunteers, for three months, and went with his command to Missouri and was in the battle of Wilson's Creek when Lyon fell. When term of service expired re-enlisted in Company F, Twenty-fourth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and with his command went to Helena, Ark., and from there to the siege of Vicksburg and Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, and Champion Hills and to Jackson; after the fall of Vicksburg went to New Orleans and was in the Red River campaign under Banks and at Saline Cross Roads and Pleasant Hill and back to New Orleans and to Washington D. C., via ship, and ordered to report to General Sherman; and was at the battles of Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek, and was mustered out in August, 1865. Was married August 13, 1863, to Miss Meridah Stewart, a native of Iowa. They have six children -- Mary C., Laura O., Belle P., Theodosia W., Nellie A. and John W. Is a member of the Christian Church.
D. C. RUTH, lumber merchant, came to Kansas in the fall of 1881 and located here and started his present business in December of the same year with a capital of $5,000; he now has $10,000 in his business and his sales for 1882 amounted to over $50,000 and steadily increasing. He was born in Bavaria December 30, 1843, and came to the United States with his parents in 1852, locating in Iowa. He spent several years in Illinois previous to coming to Kansas. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Hahn; they have six children -- Adolph H., O. Marcus, Emelia A., Amanda, Selma and Ellen. He is a member of the Mennonite Church.
J. E. RUTH, merchant was born in Germany, November 26, 1848, and came to the United States with his parents in 1852 and located in Iowa. In 1864 he went to Illinois and remained until 1874, when he came to Kansas and located here, and was engaged in business for other parties until 1881 when he started his present business which is exclusively hardware, with capacity of $3,5000. His present capital is about $5,000 and gross sales for 1882 amounted to $13,000. Was married May 18, 1873 to Miss C. A. Risser, a native of Ohio; they have three children -- Augusta, Jonah and Elma. Is a member of the Mennonite Church and was City Mayor in 1881-2 and has been a member of the City Council and has been Township Trustee and on the School Board. Is now Deputy Postmaster.
JAMES RYAN, blacksmith, of the firm Ryan & Hinkle, was born in Ireland May 14, 1840, and came with his parents to Canada when only four years of age, and when seventeen years of age removed to the State of New York. In 1861 he enlisted in Company F, Fourteen Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry and with his command served in the Army of the Potomac and participated in the siege of Yorktown and in the Peninsular Campaign; and was in the engagements at Hanover C. H. Seven Days' Fight, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville, and mustered out May 26, 1863. In 1869 he came to Kansas to Halstead township and located on Section 20 and engaged in farming until 1873 when he removed to Section 24, where he owns a farm of 160 acres finely improved, having 120 acres in cultivation, hedged on two sides, with good frame dwelling of four rooms; with good orchard, barn 24 x 36, with cattle shed 12 x 24. He has six horses, 18 head of cattle, and raised in 1882, 2,000 bushels of wheat from 75 acres. In 1873 he organized his present business of blacksmithing in Halstead and in 1878 associated with Mr. W. C. Hinkle in the business; they have about $1,000 in the business and their trade in 1882 was about $3,000. Mr. Ryan was married October 14, 1863 to Miss Mary Woodcock, a native of New York; they have six children -- James T., Henry G., John C., Carrie E., Nellie E. and Fannie E. Mr. Ryan was the first Township Treasurer of Halstead Township and Justice of the Peace from 1875 to 1880, and Police Judge in 1877 and 1878. Is a Mason and noble grand of the I. O. O. F. and a member of the Horse Protective Association.
GEO. W. SWEESY, hotel keeper came to Kansas in the fall of 1872 and located on the present town site of Halstead and is the pioneer of the city. In March following he commenced building his present hotel and had it ready for guests in April, the first building in the city, at a cost of $3,000. In addition to this business of hotel he is the agent for the Town Company for the sale of lots and has been since the company was organized and is also in the insurance business, representing the Phoenix of Hartford, Conn. Was born in Pennsylvania March 28, 1839, and moved with his parents to Iowa in 1849 and was engaged in farming until the breaking out of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company M, Second regiment Iowa Cavalry, and was with his command in the western army, participating in the taking of New Madrid and Island No. 10 and the charge at Farmington in front of Corinth; and was at Iuka and in Grant's march around Vicksburg; at Water Valley and Coffeyville, where his Colonel, McCullough, was killed; then to Lagrange, Miss., where he was captured and taken from one prison to another until he reached Libby Prison and paroled on May, 1863; and in the fall of that year was ordered to report to Col. Bonneville in St. Louis, and employed as Auditing Clerk in the office of Chief Commissary of Musters, where he remained until July, 1864 and was commissioned as First Lieutenant of Company B, Forty-first Regiment Missouri Infantry, and assigned to duty as Assistant Commissioner of Musters, where he remained on duty until mustered out October 1, 1864. After muster out he returned to Iowa and engaged in farming and merchandise until coming to Kansas. Was married August 6, 1857, to Miss N. E. Humphrey, a native of Pennsylvania; they have four children -- John L., Elmer E., Lenore De B. and Leota K. Is a Mason and Postmaster and Mayor of Halstead, and member of the School Board.
J. W. SWEESY, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Halstead owns a fine farm of 126 acres adjoining the town-site of Halstead on the west, about eighty acres in cultivation and a bearing orchard of two acres, and a small grove of cultivated timber. His farm is principally enclosed, having one and a half miles of good hedge fence. Dwelling, 16 x 24, with L, 18 x 26, granary and stable, 18 x 38 and all necessary out-buildings. Is also in the dairy business, in a small way and is now milking eight cows. Raised a fine crop of wheat in 1882, averaging thirty-one and a half bushels per acre. He was born in Pennsylvania, November 6, 1841 and when seven years of age, his parents moved to Iowa, where he lived until coming to Kansas in 1872, locating on his present farm. He married, January 22, 1865, Miss Emma C. Smith, a native of Illinois. They have two children -- Elden F. and N. Milburn. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
CAPT. C. A. TRACY, real estate, was born in Norwich, Conn., November 21, 1841, and moved with his parents to Ohio in 1855; but in 1857 he returned to Connecticut on a visit and remained there until 1861, when he enlisted in the Thirteenth Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry and on the organization of the regiment, was appointed Regimental Commissary sergeant. His regiment was sent on vessel under sealed orders, and landed at Ship Island, Miss., and went from there to New Orleans. He served in this capacity until August 8, 1862, when he was promoted to First Lieutenant in the First Regiment Louisiana Volunteer Infantry and was appointed Commissary of Subsistence, and was on duty at New Orleans, Doneldsonville and Department of the Gulf. He remained there until August 1, 1865, when he was commissioned as Captain and Asst. Commissary but being desirous of returning home, refused to be mustered and was mustered out at that date and returned to his home in Ohio, and in 1871 came to Kansas, locating on Section 8, Lakin township in March of that year, and engaged in farming and stock raising. In the fall of 1871 he was elected Justice of the Peace and was the first justice in this locality and married the first couple in Lakin Township. In the winter of 1871 and '72 he tried twenty-one cases in a sod house on his claim. He was elected Sheriff of Harvey County at the general election in November, 1882, and served one term, and was Trustee of Lakin Township for four terms, and was Deputy Sheriff in 1876 and '77. In November 1882, he sold his farm and moved to Halstead and is now engaged in improving his property here and he owns a number of city lots and has a number of buildings erected and in the course of erection. Married, April 11, 1866, Miss Ednah Webber, a native of Ohio. they have three children -- Halbert, Phillip and Florence. Is a Mason and a member of the G. A. R. and has just been appointed Deputy Sheriff.
I. W. TIBBOT & BROS., general merchants. This firm is composed of three brothers, I. W., W. M. and J. B. Tibbot, natives of Iowa, and very successful business men. They came to Kansas in 1857, in their boyhood, and located in Jefferson County in 1864. Although quite young, they engaged in freighting across the plains to Denver and other points, and had a great many narrow escapes, the Indians being very hostile that year; at one time they camped only four miles from a camp that was attacked and all massacred. After this they engaged in clerking, and followed it until they organized the present business in July, 1875. At that time, J. W. was a mercantile trader for a wholesale house and starting was from $300 to $500. But I. W., who still continued in his situation, turned in his salary to increase the business. In 1877 the business had increased so that I. W. gave up his situation and located here and by their united efforts their trade has rapidly increased. In 1880, another brother, J. B. who had been in California came to Halstead and associated with his brothers in the business. At the present time they have an immense business with a capital of $15,000 and their gross sales for 1882 was $60,000. they also own their business building which is double. The dry-goods department is 24 x 65 and the grocery 20 x 44. They also hold 100 shares in the bank and each owns a fine residence. All are married and have small families. They are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. I. W. is a Mason and W. M. an Odd Fellow and J. B. is a member of the order of Knights of Honor.
H. S. WENBAN, farmer, section 24, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, 130 in cultivation, all enclosed, dwelling 14 x 20, with L 12 x 20. Wheat average for 1882 was twenty-two bushels per acre; has five horses, sixteen head of cattle and five hogs. Was born in Ohio, December 18, 1843; enlisted in April, 1861, in the first call for three month's troops and was afterward organized Company A, Twenty-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for three years and was with his command in West Virginia, and participated in the engagements at Carnifax Ferry and Giles Court House, and was transferred to East Virginia and in the engagements at South Mountain and Antietam, Md., and from there back to West Virginia, where they were in a number of minor engagements and skirmishes, and mustered out in July, 1864. In 1870, he moved to Indiana and came from there to Kansas in 1871, and located on his present farm. Was married September 22, 1866, to Miss Maria A. Wade, a native of Ohio. They have six children -- Fanny M., Jessie A., Carrie L., Sion W., J. Emery and Flora. Has been a member of the School Board.
WILLIAM WHITE, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Halstead, owns 160 acres, all in cultivation and hedged on the north; small orchards with good frame dwelling, costing $1,000, two granaries 10 x 20 and 9 x 18; has six horses and mules, four cows and five hogs. Raised in 1882, 3,185 bushels of wheat from 104 acres, and has raised wheat for nine years with gross average of between fifteen and twenty bushels per acre. Was born in Ohio, September 9, 1826, and came to Missouri when a child with his parents, and came to Kansas in 1872, and took his present farm as a homestead. In July, 1846, he enlisted in Company H, Extra Battalion Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served with his command for over a year in the Mexican war, in New Mexico, and participated in a number of skirmishes and Indian fights, among them Tonas and El Moro and mustered out in 1847 at Fort Leavenworth, then in the Indian Territory. In 1861 he again entered the army as First Lieutenant of Company C, First Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served with his command principally in Missouri and Arkansas, and participated in the fight at Prairie Grove and Jenkins' Ferry, and a number of skirmishes with Quantrell's men. His command was at Little Rock, Ark., at the time of Banks' advance up the Red River and was ordered to form a junction with him, which they attempted, having to drive the forces of Price and Marmaduke before them, but Banks was on the retreat before they reached him and the Rebels threw a heavy force against them, driving them back to Little Rock; they were there for forty days continually skirmishing under fire and losing one-half of the command. In 1864 he regiment veternized when he was promoted to Captain of Company A of the veteran organization and was mustered out at Little Rock, Ark., September 1, 1865. He was married March 21, 1849, to Miss Emeline High, a native of Tennessee. They have seven children -- Christopher C., Sumner H., Laura F., Joseph F., Ida E., Rosa M, and Hattie B. Has been a member of the School Board.