|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MILLER - ZIMMERMAN).
SOLOMON MILLER, known all over Kansas as "Sol. Miller of the Chief," is the oldest Kansas editor in continuous service, beside being the proprietor of the oldest paper. Born in LaFayette, Ind., on January 22, 1831, he went shortly after with his parents to Preble County, Ind., where he remained until seventeen years old. He then went to Germantown, Ohio, and became an apprentice in a printing office. At twenty-one he assumed charge of the local paper and remained with it through its various changes of name for nearly five years. Next, acting upon Horace Greeley's advice to the young world in general and the craft in particular, he came West, and in March, 1857 started at White Cloud the Kansas Chief. In 1872 be moved the Chief to Troy, where it has ever since been published.
R. H. MONTGOMERY, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Troy; was born in Jackson County, Ind., June 20, 1834. He was reared and educated in his native State, his early life being that of a farmer boy. In 1857 he came to Kansas, locating in Columbus, Doniphan County; here he resided until 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Was at the battle of Prairie Grove and other engagements, serving until the close of the war, when be was honorably discharged. He returned to Doniphan County and engaged in school teaching in Burr Oak Township, continuing until 1866, when he located where he now resides. Mr. Montgomery is one of the best known citizens in the county, and is recognized as one of the most progressive. In 1865 he was elected by the Independent Republicans to the State Legislature, and has been otherwise officially identified. In 1866 Miss Mary Brock, of Doniphan County, became his wife; they have four children - Anibella, Walter B., William H. and Florence M.; he is also rearing Milton and Esther Flemming, children of his wife's sister, Mrs. Nancy E. Brock Flemming. Mr. M. is a member of the G. A. R. and the Grange.
D. W. MORSE, County Clerk, is a native of Farmington Falls, Warren Co., Ohio, and was born Sept. 28, 1835. His father, Ira Morse, was a potter by trade, and one of the representative citizens of Warren County; his death occurred in 1850. D. W.'s parents, paternal and maternal, were of New England stock; his mother's maiden name was Carr. He was reared and educated in Warren County pursuing the vocation, as he advanced in years, of clerking. After the death of his father, he came to St. Louis, Mo., and entered the establishment of Samuel Couples & Co., as shipping clerk, continuing in their employ for a considerable length of time. In 1857 came to Kansas, locating in Wolfe (sic) River Township, Doniphan County, where he pre-empted a farm on Section 5, being a pioneer in this county. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Kansas, passing that winter in Missouri; was at the Little Blue engagement. After going South, was at the battle of Iuka, Miss., Corinth and other noted affairs that Grant's army participated in; was with Gen. A. J. Smith when he went to the rescue of Gen. Sturgiss. He served there to the close, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he returned to Doniphan County, continuing to farm until 1869, when he engaged in the manufacture of brooms (in Troy), a trade he learned in Ohio. In this branch of industry he continued several years, when he embarked in merchandising in Severance for two years. In 1877 he was the choice of the Republican party for County Clerk, was re-elected in 1879 and again 1881, which is prima facie evidence of the high esteem he is held in by the people of Doniphan County. He is a courteous and genial gentleman, is a Master Mason and a member of K. of H. In 1868 Miss Annie Haggard, of Kansas, became his wife. By the union they have two children, Flora and Arthur.
CYRUS LELAND, Sr. This estimable citizen is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Grafton, Worcester Co., September 9, 1810. The genealogy of the family in America traces back to Henry Leland, who was born in England about 1625, and died in Sherburne, Mass., April 4, 1680; from this descended the Leland family, of which there is a great number. Cyrus was fitted for College at Leicester and Amherst, and entered the freshmen's class of Harvard University in August, 1828, and graduated in the class of 1832. He read law in the office of Ex-Gov. Dans & Washburn of Worcester for a time, and eventually came West and settled in Peoria, Ill., where he was admitted to the bar and began his practice; in 1835 he was appointed Justice of the Peace. Moved to Sauk County Wis., and settled in Prairie du Sac April 1839; here he was postmaster in 1840; paymaster and colonel in the State Militia; in 1849 he was a member of the Legislature; in 1851 and '52 was chairman of the Board of Supervisors. During his residence in this State he was engaged in farming, lumbering and merchandising. In 1857 he came to Kansas and actively engaged in political affairs and troubles of the Territory on the Free-state side and against the border ruffian element. In 1858 he located in Troy and opened a law office; was appointed postmaster and notary public, and at the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861, was appointed and commissioned colonel of the Second Kansas Volunteer Regiment of Militia, and in August of that year was ordered by the Governor into the United States service with his regiment, and continued on duty in command along the Missouri frontier until January 20, 1862, when the regiment was discharged. In the summer of 1862 he was appointed recruiting commissioner for the Northern District of Kansas; raised and commanded a regiment of recruits, which were mustered into the service in September, 1862, as the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry; he was appointed quarter-master of this regiment, September 21, 1862, and soon after this was assigned duty as Brigade Quarter- Master and Commissary of Sustenance in the Third Brigade of the Army of the Frontier; he was Post Quartermaster and Commissary of Sustenance at Van Buren, Ark. In the winter of 1863 was present on duty at the battles of Cane Hill, November 28, and Prairie Grove, December 7, 1862, and during the Indian Campaign south of the Arkansas River at the battle of Poison Spring, at the engagement at Perryville; served as Quartermaster of the Third Brigade, Third Division, Seventh Army Corps, Gen. Steele in command, in his disastrous expedition to the Red River and Camden in Southern Arkansas; was at the battles of Prairie de Ar, and during that campaign in the spring of 1864 at the battles of Mark's Mills was slightly wounded by musket balls on the head and neck; was Quartermaster of the troops and train at the Battle of Cabin Creek, Indian Territory; was on duty during the Price raid in 1864, as Brigade and Division Quartermaster, and present at the battles of Westport and Blue Mine Creek. He was again Post Quartermaster at Van Buren, Ark., in the winter of 1864. In March, 1865, he was assigned to duty as Quartermaster of the First Brigade, Seventh Army Corps at Little Rock, Ark., at which place he was honorably discharged, in July 1865, on the expiration of his term. Since the close of the war the Colonel has resided on his farm close to Troy, Kan., where he is comfortably situated, having accumulated a sufficiency of the world's wealth to pass the remainder of his days in ease. That he has been, and now is, a public spirited and patriotic citizen, may be inferred from the fact that during the Rebellion with his own funds he defrayed expenses in recruiting and preparing men for the field. The Colonel was married in Peoria, Ill., in 1835, to Miss Sarah Ann Howard; by this marriage he had two sons and four daughters, all living and have children ; Mrs. Leland died in 1874. In 1876 he married Mrs. Chloe Tennant, widow of Col. Sydney Tennant, a lawyer and graduate of Yale College.
GEO. W. PEUGH, liveryman, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Morgan County, December 3, 1836. His father, William H., was a hotel-keeper and merchant in that county. Geo. W. was there reared, educated and resided until 1861, when he enlisted In Company E, Seventy-Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He participated at the second battle of Bull Run, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and the greater portion of the heavy engagements of the war. He was taken prisoner at Chancellorsville, but was exchanged in a short time. He served through until the close, when he was honorably discharged. In 1865 he came to Kansas and engaged in farming, adjacent to Troy, until 1875, when he embarked in the livery business. He is also express agent, and is one of Troy's most representative business men. Mr. Peugh is a member of the K. of H. He was married in 1861 to Miss Euphemia Monroe, of Athens County, Ohio. They have five children by the union, four living, Mary, William E., Clara and Gertrude. The have lost one, Allie.
CHARLES RAPPELYE, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Troy, is among the representative and worthy citizens of Doniphan County. He is a native of New York; was born in Yates Count, September 15, 1828, was educated, raised and resided in his native State till the spring of 1857, when he came to Kansas. He pre-empted a claim in the western part of Doniphan County, and turned his attention to school teaching, being among the first educators in the county, teaching at Columbus and Palermo. At the former place he organized the first Sabbath-school. At Palermo for a time he was interested in a saw-mill. in 1860 he returned to New York, remaining until 1863, when he again came to Kansas, and the autumn of that year was elected by the Republican party as Clerk of Doniphan County, and was elected consecutively, as his terms expired, until 1867, when he was elected County Treasurer, discharging the duties of this office two years. After an interim of two years he was again elected County Clerk, and served two terms, when he retired and turned his attention to farming. As a county official, the unanimous verdict of the people is that he was the right man in the right place, never wavering in the discharge of his duty, and advocating a rigid discipline in governing the public trust in his charge. Mr. Rappelye married in New York, in 1860, to Miss Mary F. Hollowell, a native of Yates County.
W. REEDER, physician and surgeon, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Parke County, April 3, 1826, his father, David, being among the early settler of that section. He was a native of Virginia, and his mother, Nancy McNeal, was also of Virginia. The subject of this sketch received the benefits of a good education in the Asbury University, after which he took up the study of medicine and graduated at the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati. For several years he practiced his profession in Parke and Vermillion counties. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he raised a company in those counties receiving a Captain's commission from Governor Morton, In the Eighty-Fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. His Company, D, participated in the battles of Nashville, Franklin, and others, until the autumn of 1863, when he resigned and returned to Indiana, residing there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Troy. The Doctor has built up an enviable reputation, being very successful as a practitioner. Of late years he makes but few professional calls, remainining (sic) generally in the office. He is a Royal Arch Mason. He has been twice married, first in 1852, to Miss Mary Sunderland, of Rockville, Ind. By this union they had three children, Nancy E., Edward T. and John S. Mrs. R's. death occurred in 1867. His present wife was Laura V. Beedle, of Parke County, Ind. They have had five children, Charles and Mary, and have lost three, James, William and Claud.
LOUIS RULLMAN, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Wathena, is a native of Germany, and was born in Hesse Darmstadt, January 7, 1825; was educated and raised in his native country, following agricultural pursuits. He served six years in the regular army, participating in the memorable rebellion in Germany of 1848-9. In 1852 he came to America; lived in different parts of the East, engaged in several pursuits, until 1854, when he came to St. Joseph, Mo., remaining one year. In the spring of 1855 he came to Doniphan Co., Kas., and pre-empted on Section 23, which is still a part of his landed estate. Mr. R. Has been one of the most successful farmers in the county. He was married in Cumberland County, Md., to Miss Christina Young. Her death occurred in Kansas a few years ago. The result of this marriage was nine children: Jennie, Louis, Amelia, Ada, Adolph, Frank, Willie, Oscar and Dave.
H. P. SAXTON, farmer and fruit grower, Section 32, P. O. Troy. Deserving of special mention among the prominent farmers and representative citizens of Northeastern Kansas is Mr. Saxton. He is a native of Ohio, and was born in Lorain County, October 3, 1814. His father, James J., was a native of Vermont, and one of the pioneers of Lorain County, settling there in 1812. At and previous to the war of 1812 he held a Captain's commission, but resigned and came to Ohio, having made arrangements to that effect. He was of English extraction. His death occurred in Rochester, Racine Co., Wis., over twenty-five years ago. The mother of H. P. Saxton was of Holland descent; her maiden name was Rosa Shellhouse; she was born in Vermont and is now in her ninety-first year. She is hale, and is residing with her daughter in Lincoln, Neb. She is the mother of A. M. Saxton, Esq., of St. Joseph, Mo., a banker, and one of the most substantial and best known citizens of the State. H. P. spent his early days in tilling the soil of the Buckeye State, and later in the manufacture of brick. In 1836 he was married to Miss Mary White, an estimable lady and a native of Ohio, a resident of Cleveland. In 1840 he moved to Wisconsin, locating in Rochester, Racine County, where he remained for eight years and then moved to Waukesha County, taking up is abode in Nashotah, where he manufactured brick and built the Theological Seminary. At that day and age much was being done by the missionaries at that part among the Indians, of which there were several tribes in Waukesha and the adjacent counties. He eventually removed to Waupaca, residing there until 1862, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating where he now resides. His estate consists of 160 acres of choice land. His orchard, which consists of five acres, for varieties of apples, quality and quantity, taking the number of trees into consideration, is not surpassed n the county. Mr. S. has always taken a live interest in the brick industry, and has manufactured a few kilns in Doniphan County. He is a man of bright intellect, genial and one of the most companionable of men. Politically he was formerly an oldtime Whig; upon the organization of the Republican party he joined their ranks, and has never deviated therefrom. He is a Royal Arch Mason, Troy Lodge and Troy Chapter. Mrs. S. is an excellent manager of the household affairs, a woman of good judgment and commanding countenance. Their children are Ellen (now deceased), who was the wife of the Rev. E. A. Goodnough, an Episcopal minister of Wisconsin; Rosetta, the wife of Oscar Larzelere, of Kansas; Delia (deceased); Jane, the wife of H. H. Hickman, of Brown County, Kas.; James A., residing in Kansas, John A.; Hiram L., Lloyd, Annie and Ida. The five latter live at home.
H. F. SHANER, the present Superintendent of Schools of Doniphan County, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in Wyoming County, August 28. 1848; and was reared and educated in the Keystone State. He engaged in teaching school in Doniphan County in 1870, and since that date has been closely associated with its interests. He is a theoretical and practical teacher. In the autumn of 1880, and again in 1882, he was the choice of the Republican party for County Superintendent.
ROBERT M. STEWART, farmer, came to Kansas in April, 1856, and located at Palermo, where he lived one year and was employed in a grist mill. From there he went to Troy, where he lived four years and was engaged in farming. In 1860 he removed to Pike County, Ind., where he lived (except while in the United States service) until April, 1881, when he returned to Kansas and located at Troy. Mr. Stewart was in the late war and was a Sergeant of Wilder's Indiana Battery. He enlisted in May, 1861, at Indianapolis, Ind., and took part with his comrades in the battles of Cross Keys, Winchester, Harper's Ferry, Siege of Knoxville and numerous smaller engagements, and was mustered out of the service at Knoxville, Tenn., May 22, 1863. He was born in Pike County, Ind., August 22, 1836, and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. Mr. Stewart was married in Petersburg, Ind., August 20, 1864 to Miss Emily Wright, a native of Indiana. They have four children, whose names are Sarah E., Mary E., Emma J. and Frank P.
X. K. STOUT, Justice of the Peace and attorney. There are few people in Doniphan County that are better known than X. K. Stout, Esq., who for over twenty-five years has been one of its active citizens. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Hardin County, December 10, 1824; was raised and educated in that State, residing there until he attained his nineteenth year, when his father, Walter J. Stout, came to Savannah, Mo., with his family; he was one of the pioneers of Andrew County. X. K. took up the study of law in Savanna, was admitted to the bar and has since been identified with the legal fraternity, although not constantly practicing. In the spring of 1855 came to Iowa Point, Doniphan County, and opened a general merchandise store, being the second in town, continuing until the spring of 1862, when he settled in Troy. He has a fine farm, adjacent to the town, which he operates besides attending to his official and legal affairs. In 1856 and '57 was a member of the Territorial Legislature. During the war belonged to the State Militia. Was County Attorney one term, and has been identified with the educational interests of the county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and was the first N. G. of Troy Lodge. Was married, in 1850, to Miss Martha J. Cobb, of Missouri.
H. WHEELER, baker and grocer. Among those who have figured prominently in the development of Kansas, for nearly a quarter of a century, is Mr. Wheeler. He is a native of New York, and was born in Allegany County, April 9, 1829. In 1838 his father, George Wheeler, with family, located in Wabash County, Ind., where he was principally reared. The senior Wheeler eventually came to Nebraska, and was one of the pioneers of Otoe County, locating near Nebraska City, and afterwards to Doniphan County, Kan., where he was a resident until his death, which occurred in 1874. His son, Dr. J. B. Wheeler, was one of the early physicians in the county, and during his day, one of the most prominent men in Northern Kansas. He was a member of the first Legislature, and at the breaking out of the war, was appointed First Lieutenant Colonel of the Thirteenth Kansas. By his death, which occurred several years ago, Kansas was deprived of one of its most staunch citizens. The subject of the sketch became a resident of Kansas, December 25, 1858, locating in Doniphan County. Upon the breaking out of the rebellion, he enlisted in the Government employ in the capacity of a scout, continuing until nearly the close. His base of operations was in the southwest in the Cherokee and Choctaw Nations. He had many adventures and close calls for his life. After the war came to Troy engaging in trade, and has been one of its most successful business men. He was married in October, 1870, to Miss Jennie Teachout, an estimable lady, a native of Wyoming County. N. Y.
JOHN F. WILSON, Probate Judge. Among the pioneers of the Platte purchase in Missouri, was Henry Wilson, father of John F. Wilson, who located at Savannah, Andrew County. He has (sic) a native of North Carolina, and a wagon-maker and engineer by trade. He came to Kansas in 1855 and located in Burr Oak Township, Doniphan County. He was prominently identified with the development of the county up to the time of his death in 1876. His son, John F., was born in Ray County, Mo., September 17, 1844; came to Kansas in 1855, where he has since been a resident. He has been closely associated with the commercial interests of Wathena, Severance and Troy, carrying on business at different periods in those towns. He is a practical man, thoroughly business and the right man in the right place. He was elected to the office of Probate Judge by the Republican party in 1880; re-elected in 1882. Mr. Wilson is a Master Mason. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary E. Cox, of Wathena, Kan. They have four children, Edward M., Guy W., William F., and Daisie Belle.
H. C. WYKERT, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Troy, was born in Marshall County, West Va., August 9, 1832. His early days were spent in tilling the soil; receiving the benefits of the common schools of Marshall County. When he attained his twenty-forth (sic) year he came to Kansas and pre-empted a homestead in Burr Oak Township, Doniphan County, being one of the first settlers in that part, he resided there until the spring of 1867, when be removed to his present home, which is one of the most valuable in the county. His landed estate consists of 340 acres; a substantial and attractive residence adorns the home farm, indicating comfort. Mr. Wykert has secured his competency by untiring industry. He was married in Kansas in 1861 to Miss Margaret J. Mansfield. They have nine children living, Laura L., Mary L., Nola I., Wendell Brownlow, Susan A., Jennie May, George Centennial, Edward J., Margaret S., and one deceased, William Perry.
JACOB N. ZIMMERMAN, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Troy. One of the most substantial agriculturists of Doniphan County, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Maryland and was born in Frederick County, October 16, 1836; was there educated and principally reared. His father, John P., was a farmer in that State; he eventually removed with his family, including Jacob N.. to Virginia, remaining for a time, and in 1856 came to St., Joe. In 1857 he pre-empted and located on a large tract of land west of Troy, being one of the first farm openers in that section; was closely associated with the growth of the county until the time of his death several years ago. Jacob N. has been a constant resident of the county over a quarter of a century, and there are but few citizens better known. During the war himself and three brothers built a threshing machine and threshed out the greater portion of the grain raised in the county for several years. He is owner of one of the best farms in this part, convenient to Troy. He was married in 1862, to Miss L. J. Maynard, daughter of Judge J. B. Maynard, one of the pioneers of the county. By this union they have two children, James P., and Cora May.