|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The location of White Cloud is an exceptionally beautiful one, in front rolls the smooth expanse of the Missouri, and back of it rise the wooded bluffs with their rich outlines draped in dark foliage. To the north, where the Atchison & Nebraska Railway hugs the sandy cliffs, are fantastic forms that baffle description. Seen from the opposite shore, it looks as if some giant plow had been driven downward to the river in smooth furrows hundreds of feet wide. Farther up, the faces of the bluffs change and present a smooth roundness like the defiant shape of a huge boulder which has lain for centuries on some eastern sea-shore, hurling back the little rollers of a calm summer's day, and emerging shining from the furious lashings of a November gale. It is a picture for an artist, and one which no satiety of mountain or sea-shore can make tame.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN.
Two years after the Kansas-Nebraska bill opened the two great Territories to white settlement, two enterprising men named Spaulding and Utt laid out a part of the present town of White Cloud. A year later (1857) a stock company with a capital of $45,000 and a membership of thirty took up the work. The officers of this company were: Jamus Foster, president; W. J. Gatling, secretary, and Dr. H. W. Peter, treasurer. This town company had plenty of vim and push, but owing to a fatal defect in their title to the land could do nothing to show their enterprise until the famous land sales of 1857 gave them unquestioned rights. These sales occurred on July 4, of that year, and were celebrated in frontier style. A vast crowd of speculators came up from various points down the river, on steamers, and bidding was very spirited, the net proceeds of the sales being stated at $23,794. Apart from the serious business of the day there were more amusements than could have been expected of the time and place. A grand barbecue was served, speeches were made by noted men of the day, and the soaring American eagle flapped his metaphorical wings with unbounded applause. But one day does not make a season, and the big steamers loaded up and shot down stream to the music of St. Joseph's band, and the little band who had settled at Ma-hush-kah, or White Cloud, were left alone to look the future in the face. No time was lost in idleness, and the sturdy settlers began at once to build.
Prior to the land sale there had been a number of structures erected. The first of these was a log cabin that stood near the present ferry-landing, and was occupied by a man named Lease. Soon after there was a frame building put up by a Mr. Byrd, and a building on Main street built by Briggs & Jennings. When the town was laid out the first drug store was put up and occupied by Shreve & Macy. In 1857 E. Spaulding put up a couple of small frame houses, one of which was used for hotel purposes. Both were afterward removed, and the present City Hotel erected on their site. The year 1857 saw the advent of two professional men, T. C. Shreve, physician, and V. D. Markham, attorney. From that time professional men have come and gone, but the number of the best - those who came to stay - has steadily increased.
Some years ago, Mr. Orton, a mill owner, of White Cloud, drove a deep well in a stock yard near the river. Cattle confined there fattened and were healthy in a remarkable degree, but no special attention was paid the fact. In the summer of 1882, however, mineral springs of considerable value were discovered in the west part of the town and found to be identical in quality with Mr. Orton's well. As yet no analysis has been made, but it seems reasonable to suppose that these discoveries will prove of great value to the city and the owners of the properties upon which they exist.
The first mayor of White Cloud was Mr. C. Dorland, who had as City Clerk, a Mr. Brown. From that date to 1869, the records of the city officials are lacking. In 1869, M. S. Mauck was mayor and C. F. Van Buskirk, city clerk. The list of Mayors since that time is as follows: J. Taylor, 1870-74; R. M. Williams, I875; John H. Utt, 1876; Joshua Taylor, 1877-78; Luke J. Orton, 1879; M. S. Mauck, 1880-81; John H. Lynds, 1882. The City Clerks for the same period are: Josephus Utt, 1870; W. H. Forncrook, 1871-72; C. F. Van Buskirk, 1873-74; C. W. Shreve, 1875; J. M. Beidelman, 1876; W. H. Forncrook, 1877-82.
A postoffice was opened at White Cloud in 1857, and C. F. Jennings appointed Postmaster. Following came H. F. Macy, C. W. Noyes, Josephus Utt and W. H. Forncrook, the present official, who has held the position since July 1871. The first postoffice was in the wooden building adjoining Pugsley's drug store, thence it was moved to the store of Shreve & Macy, the store of Bailey & Noyes, the grocery of Utt, a small wooden building since torn down and the Emerson store where it is now located. The office was made a money order one in 1869, the first order being drawn July 17, by Bailey& Noyes in favor of Corning, Putnam & Co., of Boston, Mass. The amount of this order was $48.38. The first money upon White Cloud bears date about a month later.
A Shocking Murder. - On July 29, 1875, White Cloud was the theater of one of the foulest murders which has ever occurred in the county. The victim was a daughter of Jacob Fisher, a brick mason, who came from Cincinnati, Ohio, about 1870, though the date is not exactly known. This family had several daughters of not particularly enviable reputation, and among them was Mrs. Titus, a widow. Soon after the arrival of the Fisher family, Hurst made their acquaintance, and in a little time married Mrs. Titus. This match can hardly have been made in Heaven, as its firiness indicated a far different source. Almost from the wedding day Hurst's home was the scene of constant quarrels and disreputable conflicts between husband and wife. Hurst had never been a drinking man, but after his marriage he went from bad to worse with rapid steps. For some time prior to the murder, officers had kept him constantly under watch through fear of his performing some crime in one of his rages. His wife, too, became afraid of him, and a separation ensued. A week before the murder Mrs. Hurst applied to the Police Judge for his arrest on the charge of abuse, and Hurst was arrested, fined and obliged to give bonds to keep the peace. Probably fearing retaliation Mrs. Hurst went to a point near Hiawatha, where she remained until a day before the murder. She then returned to White Cloud and took lodging with a colored woman in the lower part of the town. Hurst, who had been looking for her hiding place, on the day of the murder made several efforts to see her, but was eluded. He then found the Marshal and asked him to accompany him to his wife's residence, saying that he hoped to adjust matters amicably. Seeing no harm in this the Marshal went with him to the house, where, after some time, Mrs. Hurst was induced to meet her husband. Coming to the fence she leaned over and talked to Hurst, who embraced her in the most affectionate manner. Seeing everything quiet and an apparent reconciliation effected, the Marshal stepped to one side, when Hurst drawing a large hook-bladed pruning knife, cut his wife's throat with a single blow. The unhappy woman staggered to the door-step exclaiming "My God, he has killed me" and fell to the floor, blood pouring from the wound at every pulse. A moment later she was a corpse. On examination it appeard (sic) that both jugular vein and carotid artery had been severed. An instant after giving the fatal blow Hurst broke away and ran to a ravine near at hand, whence he made his way to the office of a Justice of the Peace and gave himself up. He was promptly jailed. The news of the murder spread rapidly, and before long the jail was assailed by a large mob, headed by the Marshal carrying a rope and calling out for some one to show him how to tie a hangman's knot. They were met by the Mayor of the city, who quickly gathered about him a posse, yet the Marshal succeeded in reaching the jail and Hurst, whom he commanded, with a revolver at his head, to put his head in the noose of the rope. Hurst refused, and after a fierce struggle the Marshal was ejected and imprisoned. The excitement continued so intense that an engine was secured and Hurst taken to Troy and safely lodged. He at once began to act the part of a crazy man, but deceived no one. At the September term of court he was tried and sentenced to be hanged, after one year's confinement in the penitentiary, according to law. At the penitentiary the crazy dodge was more successful, and he was removed to the insane asylum, where he was at last accounts.
SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, NEWSPAPERS AND SOCIETIES.
The first school in White Cloud was taught in a small frame structure in the northwest part of the town. This building was struck by lightning and so badly demoralized as to necessitate its abandonment. A brick schoolhouse was then erected in the west part of the town. This school, which is still in use for the colored children, was built by direct subscription.
The large and elegant schoolhouse which stands on the bluff back of the town and is frequently spoken of as the new school, was begun in May, 1871, and completed in February of the following year. Its cost was set at $11,000, and a contract for its construction let at that figure, bonds for $15,000 being issued to cover all expenses. Upon the completion of the building it was found that it had cost the contractors, Wakefield & Co., $13,500. A compromise was made and the contractors paid a portion of the excess in cost - the building thus costing the district about $12,000. The material of this structure was mainly taken from near the town, the stone being quarried near the river and the brick made within a stone's throw of the school. It has four class rooms, besides the usual closets and cloak rooms. The land upon which it stands is that laid out as a public square in 1856, and was conveyed in consideration of $1. School exercises were begun in February, 1872, with three departments, and A. Hamilton Miller as principal. In 1880 the number of departments was increased to four. The list of the principals of the school since Miller is as follows: C. Thomas, 1873; T. H. Dinsmore, 1874; A. H. Miller, 1875, '76 and '77; J. W. Cranmer, 1878 and '79; R. Hunt, 1880; A. H. Miller, 1881 and '82. The school now numbers over one hundred.
The Methodist Episcopal Church. - The record of the Methodist Episcopal Church all over the land is a record of pastoral changes and final success, and that of White Cloud is no exception to this rule. As early as 1857 the town appears on the minutes of the conference; a society numbering thirty having been organized here by Rev. A. L. Downey. Mr. Downey was succeeded in 1859 by Rev. C. Graham, who remained two years. On his resignation Rev. C. Green supplied the church for a short time, yielding place to Rev. L. D. Price, who filled the pulpit until 1862, when he was appointed to the Leavenworth district. Since that time the church has seen many changes and some adversity, but it has mellowed with time, and to-day stands firmly with a large and united membership.
The First Congregational Church. - The professors of the Congregational form of faith were gathered into a church organization by Rev. H. P. Robinson in 1867, the first entry of the register bearing date May 25, and showing a membership of eleven. The society was in charge of Mr. Robinson until 1869, when Rev. W. H. Shaw accepted the office. Under his charge there was a considerable increase in membership, and a church edifice of brick, costing $3,200, was erected. Upon the resignation of Mr. Shaw, in June, 1873, Mr. Robinson again supplied the church until September of the same year. Rev. C. E. Moon next officiated, supplying both White Cloud and Highland until October 1875. He was followed by Rev. D. C. McNair, 1875 and '76; Rev. C. J. Adams, 1876 and '77; Rev. D. Kloss, of Highland, 1877 to '82. The society now has a membership of twenty.
The Colored Baptist Church at this point was established in 1875 by Rev. J. H. Strother. The society is scarcely able to support a regular pastor, and is supplied monthly by Rev. Daniel Wilson, of Atchison. The present membership is twenty-five. Services are held in the schoolhouse.
The Catholic Church of White Cloud, although strong in numbers and under an able pastor, Rev. J. H. Timphans, has unfortunately preserved no record of its early history. At the present time the society has a neat church building, twenty-four by thirty-six feet, costing $800, in which regular services are held. Its past may be unknown, but its future seems clearly in sight.
The White Cloud Review was established in October, 1880, by G. H. Holton & Co., as a five-column octavo of Republican proclivities. Under this management it ran one year, when it was sold to J. M. Beidelman, its present editor and proprietor. It now has a circulation of six hundred copies. It is published on Thursday of each week.
White Cloud Lodge No 6, I. O. O. F., was organized in December, 1858. Some time in the winter of 1863 the lodge ceased to hold meetings, principally because of the absence of a large number of the members at the seat of war. It was reorganized December 31, 1869, and proceeded to elect the following officers: J. W. Moore, N. G.; J. Taylor, V. G.; O. C. Whitney, R. S.; J. F. Swartz, treasurer. All this time the society had no charter, and it was not until October 12, 1872, that one was granted to the following members: Sol Miller, H. Ulsh, F. E. Armstrong, W. D. Beeler, J. Troy, H. F. Macy, O. C. Whitney, C. M. Williams. The first officers under this charter were: S. N. Perry, N. G.; William Fairall, V. G.; G. W. Pike, R. S.; J. F. Mauck, treasurer. The lodge has now seventy-nine members. Meetings are held each Saturday in Odd-Fellows Hall. This hall was built in 1874, as the second story of a brick store; its cost was $3,000. In addition to property, the society has regalia and fixtures to the value of $200. The present officers of the lodge are: G. W. Mauch, N. G.; J. S. Sinclair, V. G.; C. H. Wakefield, R. S.; Joshua Taylor, P. S.; McI. Ryan, treasurer.
White Cloud Lodge, No. 78, A. F. & A. M., was organized under a dispensation May 17, 1869. and under a charter October 21, of the same year. The following officers served under the dispensation: J. V. Hollebaugh, W. M.; M. B. Bowers, S. W.; R. M. Williams, J. W.; C. F. VanBuskirk, secretary; C. Burkhalter, treasurer. Upon receipt of the charter new officers were elected, but the only change was the substitution of R. M. Williams as W. M., and J. W. Harpster as J. W. The charter members of the lodge were J. V. Hollebaugh, M. B. Bowers, R. M. Williams, C. F. VanBuskirk, Charles Burkhalter, A. N. Taylor, John Harpster, J. S. Springer. Meetings are held on each Wednesday on or before full moon, and every two weeks after, in Odd Fellows Hall. The present officers of the society are as follows: J. W. Harpster, W. M.; P. L. Palmer, S. W.; R. S. Wakefield, J. W.; C. H. Wakefield, secretary; D. G. Garlock, treasurer.
The Grand United Order of Colored Odd Fellows, No. 2,008, although similar to the older order of Odd Fellows, is not in full union with them. The lodge was established in this place on January 19, 1880, with seventeen members. It now has a membership of twenty-three, and the following officers: Scott Clay, N. G.; Simon Easley, V. G.; A. D. White, P. S.; A. Donohue, R. S. Meetings are held every Saturday evening.
Amity Lodge, No. 2,267, K. of H., was organized July 16, 1880, with the following charare (sic) members: W. H. Forncrook, C. H. Wakefield, J. H. Lynds, C. W. Shreve, R. S. Wakefield, A. Frost, W. N. Embree, B. W. Anderson, P. Burkhalter, M. S. Mauck, S. L, Jennings, G. W. Mauck, P. L. Palmer, L. A. Howarth, L. F. Mills, T. Sniveley, J. H. Smythe, G. H. Burkhalter, Charles Cain. The first officers of the society were: A. Frost, D.; C. H. Wakefield, R.; J. H. Lynds, treasurer. The present membership of the lodge is seventeen. Meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of each month, in Odd Fellows' Hall. The present officers of the society are: W. H. Forncrook, dictator; G. W. Mauck, reporter (sic) W. E. Lewis, treasurer.
Silver Cornet Band. - As early as 1871 the Silver Cornet Band became a source of pride and pleasure to the citizens of White Cloud, but after flourishing a while it met the fate of so many similar organizations, and fell into decay. In 1875 it was resurrected under the leadership of Capt. C. W. Shreve, and has ever since been kept fully alive. The band owns a fine set of instruments, representing nearly one thousand dollars, and is financially solid. It is still under the management of its leader, Mr. C. W. Shreve.
The White Cloud City Mills were built in 1863 by John Utt. The building, which stands near the railway, is forty by seventy feet, and two stories and one-half in height. Its cost was $10,000. It has two run of buhr stones, one for wheat and one for corn. Power is furnished by an engine of fifty-horse power. The mill, when in ordinary working trim, grinds daily 120 bushels of wheat and 175 of corn. A. & L. Thacker purchased the mill of John Utt, and sold it in 1868 to Utt & Mauck, who ran it until 1872, when it became the property of Mauck Brothers, who still run it. Elevator facilities have within a few years been put in, and eight carloads can be handled daily, although storage does not exceed fifteen to eighteen thousand bushels. In 1881 the firm handled something over two hundred thousand bushels of grain.
The Palmer & Orton saw-mill is the successor of an old mill which was destroyed in 1869. The same year the present structure was built, at a cost of three thousand five hundred dollars. The main building is eighty by thirty-two feet, and has an addition sixteen by sixty. Power is furnished by an engine of sixty-horse power. The mill has a capacity of from fifteen to twenty thousand feet of lumber daily, but is not run to its full limit. It manufactures all classes of dimension stuff and boarding.
In 1868 Noyes & Moore built the grain warehouse, near the river, now used by Vanderslice & Emerson. This structure embraced an elevator and steam power, and cost $1,500. It has a capacity of 25,000 bushels. A few years ago the engine and elevating machinery were removed and the building became a simple warehouse.
The only banking establishment now located at White Cloud is that of Springer & Emerson, who began business on March 18, 1881. As a private bank the concern gives no statement of resources, but it is known to be on a firm financial footing. In the multiplicity of other calls on their time, the proprietors of the bank leave much in charge of the cashier, Miss Annie M. King, whose efficiency is a neat commentary on the old adage that "Women's work is never done," and the right of the woman who has brains enough to do any class of man's work.
The steam ferry at this point is one of the best of its class along the river. Its record as given by Mr. Loring speaks for itself: "On the 18th of April, 1858, Joshua Taylor, having purchased a small side-wheel steamer, started from Wellsville, Ohio, with the intention of establishing a ferry at White Cloud. Arriving at this point on the 3rd of June, in the same year, he entered into partnership with a Mr. Moore, and named the boat 'White Cloud.' Messrs Taylor & Moore operated the boat until the spring of 1862, when they sold it to O. Bailey, Mr. Bailey operating the boat until 1867, when it met with an accident, common to Missouri River boats, and was so badly wrecked as to render it useless for further service. Some time in May, 1868, Messrs. Bailey & Noyes built a new boat, giving it the same name as its predecessor. Some time in May, 1871, John H. Lynds bought a one-fourth interest and took charge of it. In the fall of 1878, Mr. Lynds sold a one-half interest - he having previously bought, from time to time, the remaining interests - to David Bailey. In 1888, Mr. Lynds bought back his one-half interest, thus making him sole owner up to the present time."
General stores, four; grocery stores, two; drug stores, three; hardware stores, one; furniture, one; restaurants, two; hotels, two; livery stables, one; barber shop, one; gristmills, one; saw-mills, one; boot and shoe shops, two; blacksmith shops, two; jewelry stores, one; billiard halls, one; harness shops, one; wagon shops, one; meat markets, one; printing offices, one; millinery stores, one; carpenters, two; lawyers, two; physicians, four; painters, three; plasterers, three.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ARNOLD - DUNKIN).
J. G. ARNOLD, dealer in hardware, stoves and agricultural implements, came to Kansas with his parents in the fall of 1854, locating near White Cloud, where, with the exception of one year spent in Colorado, in the freight and express business, he has since resided and carried on business. He is a member of the firm of Arnold & Springer, the largest dealers in hardware, stoves and agricultural implements in the northeast section of Kansas. The firm are doing an extensive business in their line and are well known for their square dealing. Mr. A. is an active member of White Cloud Lodge No. 78, A. F. & A. M. He was born December 12, 1852, near St. Joseph, Mo., where he lived until the fall of 1854, when his parents removed to Kansas. Mr. Arnold received his early instruction in the district and graded schools of White Cloud, finishing his education in the State Normal School. He subsequently became a teacher and taught for four consecutive years in one district, and was known as an able and thorough pedagogue, and possessed the respect and esteem of his pupils and their parents. After his return from Colorado he embarked in his present business. He was married in Brown County, April 12, 1882, to Miss Emma Idol, a native of Kansas. Most of Mrs. Arnold's younger days, however, were passed in the mountains of Washington Territory, near Walla Walla. She is a daughter of J. M. Idol, Esq., a prominent citizen and farmer of Brown County. He is at present one of the members of the Board of Commissioners of that county. Mr. Arnold's father is one of the oldest settlers of Doniphan County and is identified with its growth and prosperity.
GEORGE HENTON BEELER, farmer, P. O. White Cloud, came to Kansas March 4, 1855, and located in Iowa Township, Doniphan County, where he has since resided. He was in the last war as a member of Company E, Thirteenth Missouri Infantry, and enlisted in Holt County, Mo., July 22, 1861. He served in this regiment until October 6, 1861, when the entire regiment was captured by the Rebel forces under Maj. Gen. Price. Subsequently the men of this regiment were paroled, and about December 25, 1861, they again entered the United States service in the Twenty-Fifth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Mr. B. was a member of this organization until March 1, 1864, when it was consolidated with the Missouri Engineers. He became a member of the new regiment, and was finally mustered out of the service at Atlanta, Ga., September 25, 1864. He was present and took part in the battles of Shiloh, Jonesboro, the siege of Atlanta and numerous other smaller engagements and skirmishes. Mr. B. saw some hard service while in the employ of Uncle Sam, from the results of which he suffers to-day. He was horn in Polk County, Mo., March 12, 1842, and lived but a short time in his native county, when his parents removed (in 1844) to Holt County, Mo., where they lived until the spring of 1855, when they came to Kansas. He was married in Doniphan County June 27, 1867, to Miss Caroline Hollingworth, a native of Iowa. They have one child, Nancy Jane. Mr. Beeler has a fine farm of eighty acres, rolling upland. It is all enclosed and all in cultivation, except twenty acres of meadow and fifteen acres of timber land. His orchard covers five acres and contains 300 apple and about 200 peach, cherry and plum trees. The improvements consist of a good comfortable house, good barn and other outbuildings. There is the best of water on the farm, a large stream of water flowing through it. There is also an excellent well of water near the house.
DR. R. B. BEIDELMAN, druggist, was born in Northampton County, Pa., June 21, 1815, living there until twenty years old. He then went to Wabash County, Ill., where he began the study of medicine, taking his first course of lectures at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, and his final course at the Eclectic School in Cincinnati. He married in Wabash County, Ill., December 18, 1838, Miss Mary Kanouse, who died in 1852, leaving five children, of whom four are living, George L., James M., Henry P., and Elvira. He there engaged in the practice of medicine, afterwards moving to Northern Illinois, living in the counties of Marshall, LaSalle, and Henry until 1869. He married in Marshall County, January 8, 1856, Miss Elizabeth Whitney. In 1869 he moved to Missouri, remaining one year, and in 1870 moved to White Cloud where he has since resided. He there enjoys a large practice. He is a member of the State Eclectic Association of Kansas. He has voted the Republican ticket since the organization of that party. Was elected in 1882 member of the City Council of White Cloud.
J. M. BEIDELMAN, editor White Cloud Review, was born in Mount Carmel, Ill., on June 9, 1849. He received his education at Mount Carmel, where he remained until his sixteenth year, when he entered the Republican office at Henry, Ill. He marred in December, 1870, Miss V. E. Washburn, a native of Missouri, the ceremony taking place at Mason City, Ill. In 1871 he came to Kansas and located at White Cloud, where he has made his home ever since, although for a short time engaged in newspaper work in other cities.
SAMUEL M. BROSIUS, Indian trader at Great Nemaha Agency, Nebraska, came to Kansas in the fall of 1874 and located at the Agency where he has since resided. He is the Postmaster at the Agency. He is a member of the Society of Friends, and of White Cloud Lodge No. 6, I. O. O. F. He was born in Chester County, Pa., June 23, 1851, and lived in his native State, with the exception of three years spent in Columbiana County, Ohio, until he came to Kansas. He was married in Philadelphia, Pa., October 2, 1879, to Miss Jennie M. Walton, a native of Pennsylvania, She died December 7, 1880.
GEORGE H. BURKHALTER, dealer in groceries, musical instruments, sheet music, confectionery, fine cigars, tobacco, etc., came to Kansas in the spring of 1867, locating at White Cloud, where he has since lived. He is a member of White Cloud Lodge No. 6, I. O. O. F., and of the White Cloud Silver Cornet Band. Mr. B. was born in Taylorsvllie, Muskingum Co., Ohio, March 29, 1858, and lived in his native State one year, when his parents moved to Kansas, and located at Iowa Point. They lived here however but two years, when they returned to their former home in Ohio, where they lived until 1867, when they removed a second time to Kansas. Mr. B. has been engaged in business for himself, or for others in White Cloud, about four years. He is one of the rising young merchants of White Cloud, and is doing a large and safe business, which is constantly increasing.
JOHN S. CAIN, section foreman, B. & M. R. R. (A. & N. Division) came to Kansas May 6, 1870, locating at White Cloud, where he has since resided. He has been City Marshal and Street Commissioner of the city of White Cloud and Constable of Iowa Township for two terms each. He is a member of White Cloud Lodge No. 6, I. O. of O. F. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, July 31, 1850, and lived in his native city two years, when his parents removed to Warsaw, Ind. Here Mr. Cain's father died when he had attained the age of three years. His mother continued to reside in Warsaw for about nine years, and then removed to Berrien Count, Mich., where the family lived one year. From Michigan Mr. Cain went to the State of Illinois, where he was engaged in railroading for about two years, and then came to Kansas. He was married May 16, 1880, in Highland, Doniphan County, to Miss Sallie E. Winkler. They have one child, a son, Charles. Mr. Cain's mother makes her home with him in White Cloud. He is an efficient railroad man, and is well spoken of by those in authority over him on the road on which he is employed.
JOHN G. CARPENTER, wagon and carriage maker, came to Kansas in the fall of the year 1867, and located at Troy, Doniphan County, where he lived and followed his trade until the spring of 1882, when he removed to White Cloud, where he has since lived. He was born in Washington County, N. Y., January 24, 1825, and lived in his native place until his parents moved to Albans, Vt., where he lived ten years and from there to Rochester, Racine Co., Wis., where they lived twelve years, and from there removed to Waukon, Iowa, where they lived for ten years. From Iowa Mr. Carpenter came to Kansas. He was married in Waukon, Iowa, in the winter of 1855, to Miss Elizabeth Breier, a native of Scotland. They have four children living, whose names are George W., Sarah Bobst, Charles and Della.
FRANK A. CUBITT, baker and salesman, came to Kansas in the fall of 1870, locating at White Cloud, where he lived four years and then returned to his former home in Sterling, Ill. He lived here five years and then returned to White Cloud, where he was employed as a baker and salesman, first by the firm of Harpster & Christ, and then by J. W. Harpster, who succeeded the firm jnst (sic) mentioned, and subsequently was employed by Messrs. Burkhalter & Kenney. He is at present in the employ of Mr. H. H. Hines, the extensive dealer in groceries and provisions, and when not employed in his legitimate duties as a plain and fancy baker, assists as one of the salesmen of this enterprising and go-ahead establishment. Mr. C. is a thorough master of his trade, both in the plain and ornamental branches, and as a salesman cannot be excelled. He is a member of White Cloud Lodge No. 6, I. O. O. F. Mr. Cubitt was born in Chicago, Ill., October 14, 1856. but lived only a short time in his native city his parents removing to Dixon, Ill., where they also stayed but a short time, removing from there to Sterling in the same State, where they finally settled down. From the last named city Mr. C. came to White Cloud. He was educated at the Sterling, Ill., High School, graduating in 1876.
CHARLES H. DODD, clerk, came to Kansas in June 1869, locating at Syracuse, where he lived two years, and from there removed to Highland, where he lived three years and was engaged in farming. From Highland he removed to Brown County, where he lived seven years and then came to White Cloud, where he has resided ever since and been engaged in the extensive grocery establishment of H. H. Hines, Esq. Mr. Dodd was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., October 24, 1857, and lived in his native country until 1869, when he came to America and settled in Kansas. Mr. Dodd is a young gentleman of more than average business qualifications, and as a salesman has few superiors. He possesses the esteem and confidence of all who are so fortunate as to know him.
SAMUEL C. DONEY, a sawyer, came to Kansas, January 16, 1866, locating in White Cloud, where he has since lived. He has been Constable of Iowa Township two years. He participated in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company E., Twenty- fifth Regiment, Missouri Infantry; enlisted in Holt County, Mo., July 22, 1861, and was mustered out of the United States Service July 22, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. He took part in the battles of Lexington, Mo., Shiloh, Corinth, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga. While in the army Mr. D. was taken prisoner at Tullahoma, Ala., and after his capture was taken to Mobile, where he was held as a prisoner eleven months, and endured the usual cruel treatment meted out by the Rebel authorities to Union prisoners. Mr. Doney was born in Crawford County, Ohio, September 16, 1841, and lived there but a short time when his parents removed to Platte County Mo., where they lived three years and then removed to Holt County, Mo., where they lived fifteen years and from there came to Kansas. He was married in White Cloud, November 28, 1865, to Miss Sarah J. Nott, a native of Canada.
MANCE DUNKIN, farmer, P. O. White Cloud, came to Kansas in January, 1861; located in Leavenworth, there remained four months, and then removed to Marysville where he lived one year and was engaged in farming. He then entered Gen. James A. Lane's Provisional Brigade, being assigned to Col. Williams' Regiment, but the services of this force not being accepted by the United States Government, he, after a stay of five months in the army, left, and went to White Cloud where he has resided since, and been engaged in farming. He is a member of Friendship Lodge No. 11, A. F. & A. M., of White Cloud. He was born in Platte County Mo., in October, 1844, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was married June 2, 1863, at White Cloud to Miss Nancy Hardin, a native of Hardin County, Ky. They have six children, Hattie, born May 25, 1865; Birlie, born August 30, 1869; George Henry, born June 22, 1851; William, born September 10, 1873; Tiny, born May 25, 1875, and Dollie, born July 6, 1882. Mr. Dunkin has a choice farm of eighty acres which he purchased last spring. Forty-five acres of it are under cultivation, the balance being timber land. He has already improved by erecting a new barn, and proposes in the near future to erect a home on the same property for himself and family.