|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BAILEY - JOHNSON).
N. C. BAILEY, Sheriff, was born October 11, 1847. His father, William Bailey, was a native of New York. He emigrated with his family from Wisconsin when N. C. was quite young, and came to Kansas in 1857 locating at Charleston, Doniphan County, being one of the first settlers in that part. He was closely and prominently identified in this county as a business man for a number of years. His death occurred in 1863. N. C. was reared and educated in Doniphan County. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D., Fourteenth Kansas. He participated in many of the stirring engagements, among which was Saline River, serving until the close of the war, and honorably discharged. Returning home, engaged in agricultural pursuits in Burr Oak Township for four years, after which he removed to Troy and followed plastering and other pursuits until 1881, when he was elected sheriff. Politically he is a Republican. He makes an efficient and trusty official, and the fugitive from justice, when Nat buckles on his armor and strikes out, might as well be in Hades with a beaver ulster on. There are but few in the county more favorably known. He is a member of the K. of H. Was married in 1867 to Miss Missouri King; they have three children by the union, Cora, Gertrude, and Ollie.
ISAAC BROWN, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Troy. This worthy fellow citizen is a native of New York, and was born in Tompkins County, now Schuyler, April 8, 1822; his father, Thomas Brown, and his mother, Jane, were natives of the Empire State. Isaac was reared as an agriculturist and always adhered to that branch of industry. Lived in New York State until 1872, when he came to Kansas, locating a short distance west of Troy; removed to his present home a few years ago. He was married in 1843 in New York, to Miss Mary Johnson a native of that State. She was born October 25, 1825; her father, Benjamin, and her mother, Elizabeth, were natives of New Jersey. The children born to Mary and Isaac Brown were seven. Helen M., Benjamin J., Ellen E., Mary V., William H., Adel K., and Libbie M. The family is identified with the Methodist Church.
J. B. BYERS, hardware merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Wayne County July 20, 1829. He was there reared and educated, learning the tinner's trade in the town of West Salem. His father, David Byers, was one of the old and substantial farmers of Wayne County. When J. B. attained his twentieth year he came to Illinois and embarked in the hardware trade, doing business at different periods in the towns of Hennepin, Princeton and Geneseo. From the latter place he came to Troy on 1871. Mr. B. carries a large stock of his line, and is one of the solid men of the county. He was married in 1854 to Cornelia Brown. By this union they have eight children living. Herman, Wallace, Clara, Ida, Joseph, Glenn, Ferris and Burt; lost one, Emma. Mr. Byers is a member of K. of H. He and his family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FRED. J. CLOSE, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Snyder County, Pa., March 21, 1849; when quite young he removed with his parents to Sandusky County, Ohio, where his father, Joseph Close, was largely engaged in farming and stockraising. Fred. (sic) spent his youthful days in tilling the soil and attending the common schools. In February, 1863, not yet in his fourteenth year, he enlisted in the United States Army, shouldered a musket, and in Company A., Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participated in the battles of Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Resaca. The latter was on May 15, 1864. Here he received a musket ball in the left arm which necessitated amputation. It is conceded by writers that he is now the youngest man who was in the United States Army that carried a gun in the war. There were others that enlisted as young in years but they enlisted earlier. When discharged from the service in October, 1864, he returned to Ohio, and for a considerable time attended the Bellvue School. In March, 1866, he came to Kansas, locating in Highland, Doniphan County, where he attended the Highland University for five years thereafter; engaged in drug trade for five years, and he engaged in agriculture pursuits after that for several years, and also as Justice of the Peace; in 1878 was the choice of the Republican party for Clerk of the District Court, and re- elected in 1880 without opposition, and in 1882 again by a large majority. Mr. Close is an efficient official and eminently popular with all. He is a charter member of Highland Lodge No. 67, of the I. O. O. F. He was married September 5, 1871, to Miss Nannie E. Garvin of New Athens, Ohio. They have had three children, Fred. P.; and lost two, Maggie and Edward.
TIMOTHY CROWLEY, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Troy, is a native of Ireland and was born in the County Cork. His early days on the Emerald Isle were spent in tilling the soil, and attending the common schools of that country. After attaining manhood, came to America, lived for a time in New York and other parts, eventually coming to St. Joseph Mo., and in 1860 to Kansas, locating in Doniphan County, where he now resides. Mr. Crowley was in limited circumstances when he came to this State. and, notwithstanding he had many obstacles to contend with, he has secured a fair competency by his untiring industry. His estate consists of 160 acres of choice land. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., to Miss Nora Morrissey, an estimable lady. They have ten children, Daniel, John, Michael, Patrick, James, Jerry, Thomas, Frank, Mary and Kate. Himself and family are members of the Catholic Church.
ROBERT S. DINSMORE, M. D., was born in Washington, Washington County, Iowa, December 4, 1853. Came to Highland, Kansas, in August, 1870, attended school at Highland University until the spring of 1872, when he began teaching school, and taught until the spring of 1876. He took up the study of medicine in 1874, with Dr. J. S. Martin, of Highland, Kansas, attended one course of medical lectures at Keokuk, Iowa, College of Physicians and Surgeons, in 1876, after which he spent a year in the Philadelphia Hospital, at Philadelphia, Pa., as nurse, gaining practical knowledge in medicine and surgery. He returned to Keokuk in the fall of 1877, and attended the winter course of lectures, and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine February 14, 1878. He returned to Kansas and associated himself with Dr. William Reeder, and began the practice of his profession in April, 1878, at Troy, Kansas, and has gained the confidence and respect of the people, as his extensive practice shows. He is a member of Troy Lodge, No. 55, A. F. & A. M., and also Troy Chapter No. 16, R. A. M. Is a member of Troy Lodge No. 1317, K. of H., and is at present Dictator of the lodge. Has served one term of two years as Coroner of Doniphan County and last year was re-elected to the same office. Dr. Dinsmore is a son of Rev. Thomas H. Dinsmore, who was born in Rich Hill, Greene Co., Pa., August 15, 1819; removed to West Alexander, Washington Co., Pa., September 2, 1836. Was prepared for college under the tuition of Rev. John McCluskey, D. D., principal of the West Alexander Academy. Was graduated from Washington College, September 29, 1843, under the presidency of Rev. David McConaughy, D. D. Devoted one year to teaching in the West Alexander and Grove Academies. He was matriculated in the Princeton Theological Seminar in August, 1844, and received his diploma for the full course of three years. In May 1847, was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of New Brunswick. Was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth McConaughy, daughter of Robert McConaughey, Esq., of Marshall County, West Va., September 14, 1847. Removed to Iowa, November 10, 1847, and settled in Washington. Became Stated Supply of the churches of Washington and Brighton, as a home missionary. Was unanimously elected Professor of Mathematics and Natural Sciences in the Des Moines College, by the Presbytery of Iowa, in April, 1849. Filled his chair with acceptance for four years, and was ordained July 3, 1850; resigned in April, 1853, and was elected by the synod of Iowa to the same chair in the Alexander College of Dubuque. He did not accept this position, but again became the Pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Washington, as successor to Rev. R. S. Dinsmore, his deceased brother, and opened the Washington Academy, which was merged at the end of two years in the Washington College, and its organization under the care of the Associate Presbyterian Church. Was elected President of the Van Rensselaer Academy by the Presbytery of Palmyra, in April, 1859, and removed to Ralls County, Mo., June 22, 1859. Held this position for five years. In April, 1864, he became principal of St. Francisville Seminary, and Stated Supply of the Presbyterian Church for four years. Owing to the failure of his health, and under the advice of physicians, was obliged to relinquish teaching and take to exercise in the open air. He removed to a farm near Athens, Mo., and continued to do such pastoral work as he was able to perform. In November, 1870, he engaged in financial work for Highland University, in connection with the five million memorial offering to commemorate the reunion of the branches of the Presbyterian Church. Removed October 3, 1871 to Highland, Kan. Was appointed Acting President and Professor of Mathematics for the years 1871-72, in Highland University and elected unanimously Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy for a term of three years, June 20, 1872. He was appointed January 12, 1880, agent for Highland University, to collect funds for endowment and other purposes relating to the interests of the institution. His last term of service in the agency closed June 10, 1882. His family consists of four sons and three daughters, his companion having died in her home in Highland July 24, 1874. The sons have all entered upon a successful career, three in professional and one in commercial life.
E. F. DIXON, Recorder of Deeds, was born in Dorchester County Md., September 25, 1817. His father, Rev. Harrison Dixon, was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother's maiden name was Fisher. His parents were of English ancestry. E. F. was reared and educated in his native State, his earlier days being spent on a farm. For a time he pursued the vocation of school teaching and clerking in the mercantile houses. In 1842 he located in Buchanan County, Mo., on the Platte River, where he was interested in operating a saw mill, being a pioneer in that industry on the Platte purchase. Later he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1855 was engaged in the woolen mill business in St. Joseph, with which he was identified for several years. In 1861 he came to Kansas, engaging in farming a short distance from Wathena, until 1863, when he removed to town, there residing until 1879, when he became a resident of Troy. During his sojourn in Wathena, was Justice of the Peace, Police Judge, and otherwise officially occupied. In 1879 he was elected Recorder, and again in 1881. During the Rebellion he was tendered a commission as Lieutenant, by the Governor of Kansas in the State Militia, which be did not accept, but volunteered as a private under Col. Leland. Mr. Dixon has been before the public of Doniphan County, and there have been few that have been more highly esteemed. In 1852 and 1853 he was a member of the Missouri legislature. Politically, he was formerly an old line Whig. Since the disbandment of the Whig party he has been an advocate of the Republican doctrine. Mr. Dixon has been twice married, first in Missouri to Mrs. Virginia Henderson, now deceased. They had one daughter, Carrie. His present wife was Miss Helen R. Requa, a native of Michigan. The have six children - Harry L., Everett F., Etta M., Emma W., and Frank C.; lost one, Nellie. Mr. D. is an unaffiliated Mason.
J. E. DRYDEN, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Troy, one of the early Kansans who has been before the public for over a quarter of a century. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in the city of Frankfort November 29, 1830. Was there educated, reared, and learned the carpenter's and joiner's trade. When twenty years of age, went to Louisville, Ky., pursuing his vocation there for five years. In 1855 came to St. Joseph, Mo., and the same season to Ellwood, Kan., which was then in its zenith, with a fair promise to outstrip St. Joseph. In 1856-57 he erected there one of the largest hotels in the West, and was proprietor of the same for several years. When business in Ellwood and the town became something of the past, Mr. Dryden turned his attention to farming, and resided for a time a short stance west of Troy. His landed interests in Doniphan County amount to 480 acres, principally under cultivation. Mr. D. has been officially identified in the county as one of its Commissioners, was Justice of the Peace for a time, and held minor offices. He was one of the Directors of the St. Joseph & Denver R. R., representing $400,000, the amount of bonds voted by Doniphan County for the St. Jo. & D., and the A. & N. He is a man of clear judgment, a good financier, public spirited, and foremost in enterprises that will be beneficial to the country. He was married 1856 to Miss S. L. Allen, of Kentucky.
J. H. EARHART, Superintendent of Doniphan County Farm, P. O. Troy. Among the pioneers of Doniphan County, and one who figured in its early agricultural interests, was Mr. George C. Earhart, with his family he located at Palermo, in 1855; his death occurred a number of years ago. His son, J. H., was born in Doniphan County, January 5, 1856. He was deprived of parents by death when quite young. Was reared and educated in Doniphan County, always following farming. In March, 1880, took charge of the County Farm; under his management it has been conducted creditably to himself and the satisfaction of the people. He was married October 11, 1877, to Miss Bessie Charles, of Doniphan County. By the union the have two children - Robert R. and Theodore T.
ROBERT FLICKINGER. In May, 1857, two young men landed in Geary City, Doniphan County from a Missouri steamer; they were in search of a suitable place for a sawmill, and finding there what they considered a desirable point, located. One of those men was Robert Flickinger, Esq., and for the past quarter of a century he has been before the people so prominently that his name has already become a household word in Doniphan County. He was born in Pennsylvania, November 9, 1833. His father, Nicholas, and his mother, Rebecca Flickinger, were natives of Perry County, Pa., and when Robert was young he moved to Ohio, living respectively in Richland and Huron counties. The senior Flickinger was a miller by trade. Robert, as he developed into manhood, turned his attention to the lumber industry, which he pursued in the Buckeye State until he came to Kansas. He operated the mill at Geary City until 1861, at which time his Free-state friends were preparing to put him in the field as a candidate for Sheriff of Doniphan County, but seeing that he county demanded troops, he relinquished everything, and prepared to go to the front. He assisted to organize Company G of the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and was chosen Captain of the same, and after being one year on duty in Missouri and the West, was sent South, where he was in the Army of the Tennessee until April 6, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. He participated in a number of the hardest engagements of the war, among those were Chickamauga and Mission Ridge. He re- engaged in business in Geary City, and in 1876 was elected County Treasurer by the Republican party, and re-elected in 1878. In 1867 he was a member of the State Legislature, and has held other public offices of trust. For several years was President of the Doniphan County Agricultural Exposition, and has done much towards the advancement of that society. For the past few years he has been operating a flouring mill at Geary City, where he has always been interested in business. Mr. Flickinger was married in 1864, to Miss Rachel Tegart, of Doniphan County. They have three children, Josephine, Lewis R., Adelbert B. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
JOSEPH HAYTON, farmer, P. O. Troy, who was one of the first farmers to locate in the vicinity of Troy. He is a native of England, and was born in Chester County, September 8, 1828. When quite young he came to the United States, taking up his abode in Davidson County, Tenn., where he resided until 1850, when, with others, he went to California, and turned his attention to mining, remaining there six years. Returned and went to Canada, for a short period, when he turned his steps once more toward the Pacific slope, arriving in Troy, while en route, on the 8th of January, 1858. Being favorably impressed with Kansas, he pre-empted a tract of land close to Troy, and has since been one of the substantial farmers. Politically, Mr. Hayton has been prominently identified. For a term was Sheriff of the county, was County Commissioner, member of the Board of Education, and for a time President of the Board, and has held minor offices. Mr. H. has been largely interested in fruit growing, having a fine orchard. He was married in 1860, to Miss Electa Conner, a native of Indiana. By this union they have had six children, three are living - William, Joseph and John. Lost three - Edmond, Bud, and Edward. The latter was accidentally killed in 1881, by the discharge of a gun he was carrying.
J. D. HAZEN, liveryman. Among the pioneers of Doniphan County was Alfonso Hazen, Esq., father of the subject of this sketch. He located with his family in Columbus, in April 1858, engaging in the saw-mill business and afterwards in farming. His death occurred a few years ago. J. D. was born in Stark County, Ohio, July 2, 1841. Came to Kansas in 1858. In September, 1862, enlisted in Company A, Thirteenth Kansas. Was in the battles of Prairie Grove, Van Buren and other engagements; was twice taken prisoner; the first time was paroled, the second time was captured with two others, one being the Colonel. Their seven captors took a vote as to whether they should be shot or released, and the count stood four to three in favor of the prisoners; besides the Colonel was to extend them some favors, consequently they were released. He served until the close of the war, was honorably discharged and returned to Doniphan County, engaging in farming on Burr Oak bottoms until 1874, when he embarked on the livery business in Troy. He is a live business man, a great horse fancier, and one of the progressive men of the county. He has large landed interests in Sumner County, Kan. He was married in 1865, to Miss Mahalia King, of Doniphan County. By the union they have four children - Alonzo, Nellie, Clarence and Clara. Mr. H. is a master Mason.
THOMAS WILLIAM HEATLEY, attorney, was born in Safe-Harbor, Lancaster Co., Penn, November 2, 1848. His father, John Heatley, is a native of England, and came to the United States in 1845, locating in Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in brick laying and furnace building. In the spring of 1857 he came to Kansas, settling first on a claim three miles southeast of Troy and next at Geary City, where be was identified with the building and mercantile interests of the latter town until 1863 when be returned to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he still resides. He possesses a vigorous intellect and great force of character. His wife, formerly Miss Sarah Gregg, was a native of Wales, and came to America in 1845, and in 1847 was married to John Heatley, in Pennsylvania. Her death occurred at Kittaning, in that State, August 1, 1865. She was a woman of much intelligence and greatness of heart, beloved by all who knew her. Thomas W., the eldest of nine children, was educated in the common schools of Pittsburgh, and from 1857 to 1863, received the benefits of the limited educational advantages of Doniphan County. Upon returning with his parents to Pittsburgh in 1863, be began his began his studies at Kittaning Academy, and in 1865 entered the Allegheny College at Meadville, and there pursued the classical course for two years, then returned to Pittsburgh and labored at the same trade as his father in the iron works, at intervals for several years, earning sufficient means to complete his education. He entered the office of Col. A. Blakely, September 1, 1868 and under his tutorship spent the evenings studying law. In October, 1868, he commenced his studies in the law department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, from which he graduated, receiving his diploma and the degree of LL. B., March 29, 1871. The following month he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Michigan, at Detroit. Being then unprepared to enter upon the young lawyer's proverbial term of waiting for clients, he returned to Pittsburgh, and although being a full-fledged expounder of Blackstone, he had not forgotten his trade as furnace-builder, and pursued that vocation until December of the same year, continuing his studies in the evenings. In January, 1872 he formed a law partnership with Col. Blakely, his former preceptor, which existed until December, 1873, when Mr. Heatley came to Kansas, and in January 1874, the law firm of Price& Heatley was formed in Troy, the senior member being Judge Nathan Price. This partnership existed until May, 1878, since which time he has been alone, and now has the confidence of the people, a good practice, and an extensive law library. In 1878 he was employed by the city authorities of Troy to revise its ordinances. Upon entering upon this work, he found preparation as much needed as revision, but completed his work, which was approved by the Mayor and Council and published as the laws of the corporation. In 1878 he was appointed City Attorney of Troy, and in the autumn of that year was elected County Attorney of Doniphan County, and re-elected in 1880, and has made a safe, energetic and efficient officer. In 1872 he took part in the Liberal Republican movement, and was elected one of the delegates from Pittsburgh to the National Convention at Cincinnati, and was also a member of the Liberal Republican State Central Committee for Pennsylvania, and actively engaged in the campaign of 1872, in Allegheny County. Since then he has acted with the regular Republican party. In 1876 he was nominated by the Republican Convention of Doniphan County as Representative to the Kansas Legislature, but withdrew from the contest. Mr. Heatley was reared in the Protestant Episcopal Church, but his legal studies teaching him to decide all great questions for himself, gradually led him into a more liberal construction of the great principles that underlie religion and society. He has all respect for Christianity, hut he has no intellectual affiliation with any of the denominations. For a number of years he has been on the Examining Board of Teachers in Doniphan County, and is closely identified with the educational interests. Early in life he developed more than ordinary literary tastes, and being a close student, and having great concentration of purpose, it was evident that he was destined to make his mark in life. He is possessed of a vigorous and active mind. As a lawyer he is conscientious and successful, as a speaker earnest and impressive, and as a writer has attained local distinction, and is a contributor of prose and verse to a number of literary periodicals. His ideas are clothed in appropriate language, indicating a thorough mastery of the subject. When occasion demands it, he is a pungent writer, and woe be to the adversary that comes within range of his tongue or pen. He is a lover of books and a great reader, and his library of well selected volumes is one of the largest in the county. He is strictly temperate yet does not assume to regulate the habits of others, and inclined to be select in social circles, but wherever he is found he is one of the most companionable of men. May 14, 1874, he was married to Miss Alice A. Pickard, a native of Iowa, an estimable lady of fine social attainments, a daughter of George and Marian Harold Pickard, of Doniphan County.
CHARLES HIGBY, proprietor of Higby House. Among the pioneer hosts in eastern Kansas, there are but few, if any, who are more popularly known to the traveling public than Charles Higby. He is a native of New York, and was born in Lewis County, August 10, 1819. His father, Benjamin, was a New-Yorker, a miller by profession, and a part of the time pursued farming. His milling interests had been at West Flagg and Booneville. His mother, Hannah Crowfoot, was a native of Connecticut, as was also his grandfather Crowfoot. Charles learned the carpenter's trade, and engaged extensively in the manufacturing of cars, which he followed for sixteen years, doing business at different periods in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. In 1857, came to Kansas, locating and pre- empting a farm near where Severance now is located. In 1861, traded his farm for a hotel in Troy and has since been before the public as a landlord. He is possessed of a splendid memory, has a keen perception pertaining to the ludicrous, and appreciates a good joke. He was married in 1845, to Miss Sarah Lombard, of Oswego County, N. Y.; by the union they have one son, O. W. Mr. H. is a member of the Masons, and a charter member of Troy Lodge.
DR. F. C. HOFFMEIER, homeopathist, was born in Orwigsburg, Schuylkill Co., Pa., January 31, 1846. At an early age he removed to Lancaster City, residing until he attained his sixteenth year, when his father, Rev. John W., with family, located in Manchester, Carroll Co., Md. F. C. received the benefits of a good education, and took up the study of medicine. He early became impressed with the virtues of homeopathy, which he has never deviated from. Then graduating from the University of Maryland he, in 1867, commenced practice at Silver Run, continuing for one year, when he removed to Westminster, where he continued until he moved to Doniphan County, Kan., in 1871. Dr. H. is thoroughly conversant with the details of his profession, and has been eminently successful. He was the first homeopathic practitioner in Doniphan County, and has made a good record. The Doctor was married in 1878, to Miss Tillie Nelson, daughter of Hanse Nelson, one of the substantial farmers of Doniphan County. By this union they have one daughter, Nellie May.
RICHARD HULSE, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Brenner, is one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Doniphan County. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born February 11, 1812. At an early age removed to Kentucky, thence to Ohio, and in the spring of 1839 being among the pioneers of Weston, Platte Co., Mo. Previous to coming to Missouri, Mr. Hulse had been engaged in lumbering. He turned his attention to farming for a time in Platte County. He first came to the Territory of Kansas in 1854, not locating permanently. In 1856, pre-empted a portion of the land where he now resides, being among the first in that part. He has done much towards the development of the county, passing through all the difficulties of every Kansan. He was married in Ohio, to Miss Esther Ann Dans; by this union have had eight children, five of whom are living - Permilla, Eva A., F. T., J. W. and A. H.; lost three - Eliza, Columbus, and Laura.
SAMUEL N. JOHNSON, County Treasurer. This popular gentleman, who is custodian of the funds of Doniphan County, was born in La Porte, Ind., March 6, 1846. His father, George Johnson, came to Missouri with his family, locating in Buchanan County, when Samuel was quite young. Here he was principally reared and educated. February 1, 1862, be enlisted as Sergeant in Capt. H. B. Johnson's Independent Battery of Artillery, Missouri Volunteers, and for three years served in charge of a section of the Battery a part of the time, and also as clerk in the Provost Marshal's office at Lexington and Jefferson City. At the engagement at Blue Springs, Mo., he received three bullet wounds in the body, and an ugly wound on the head. After being mustered out of the service, he returned to St. Joseph, Mo., remaining until 1867, when he came to Troy, and engaged in working at his trade, that of contracting and building. In 1872, he became Deputy County Treasurer, serving in that capacity until 1879, when he was elected Treasurer by the Republican party, and re-elected without opposition of any consequence, in 1881. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Johnson is a clever gentleman, and a practical and careful financier, discharging the duties of his office with credit to himself and the satisfaction of his constituents. He was married January 1, 1867, to Miss Helen McLin, of Lexington, Mo. They have three children - Hubert, Hattie, and Helen.