KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


DONIPHAN COUNTY, Part 5

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KUEHL - WlNZER).

ERNST KUEHL, teacher, and professor of the ancient and modern languages, came to Kansas, August 28, 1872, and located in Atchison where he lived six years, and from there removed to Doniphan where he has lived since. Professor Kuehl is a member of the Atchison Turn-Verein and of Schiller Lodge No. 33, I. O. of O. F., of the city of Atchison. He is at present Clerk of Wayne Township, Doniphan County. He was barn in Holstein, Prussia, February 6, 1848, and lived there until 1868, when he came to America and located in Cedar County, Iowa, where he lived ten months. From there he removed to Nauvoo, Ill., where he resided about six months. For the next nine months Prof. Kuehl was engaged in traveling, and then removed to St. Joe, Mo., where he resided two and a half years, and then removed to Atchison, and from there removed to Doniphan. Prof. Kuehl's reputation for teaching the languages and bookkeeping stands deservedly high, and most of his life while in America has been spent in imparting his knowledge to others.

T. W. LANGAN, stock-buyer, was born in Ireland in 1844. In 1847 his parents emigrated to America, and settled in Buchanan County, Mo., where they engaged in farming until 1857 when they moved to Doniphan County, Kansas, engaging in farming near Doniphan. In 1864 the subject of the sketch attended Mount Scholastica Academy at Atchison. In fall of 1865 engaged in freighting to the territories of Colorado, Utah and Nevada, until the fall of 1867, when he engaged in farming near Doniphan, which pursuit he followed until 1879, when he entered in co-partnership with N. O. Baughman, of Doniphan, and engaged in buying and selling stock at various stations along the railroads leading to Atchison. From small beginnings their business has grown to be an important item in this vicinity. The firm paid out for stock in Atchison County alone during the past season over $55,000.

REV. WM. L. LEAK, clergyman, came to Kansas in March 1872 and located in Topeka, where he resided about one year. From there he removed to Vinland, near Lawrence, where he had charge of a congregation for two years and from there he removed to Doniphan where he has since resided. Mr. Leak is Justice of the Peace and Police Judge of the city of Doniphan, and has charge of the Doniphan congregation. He was born in Holt, County of Norfolk, England, January 1, 1811, and lived in his native place until the year 1844, when he came to America and settled in New York City, where he lived one year and then removed to Brooklyn, where he lived the same length of time. From Brooklyn he removed to Buffalo where he resided six years. After this time he became an itinerant preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church and followed this calling for ten years, when he removed to Ashtabula, Ohio, where he lived eight years [about 4 words unreadable] grocery business. From Ashtabula he came to Kansas. Mr. Leak was married in Holt, Eng., May 21, 1831, to Miss Elizabeth Thursby, a native of Sheringham, County of Norfolk, Eng. They have six children, all of whom are living and whose names are: William H., Elizabeth Ann, Robert Newton, Harriet T., Thomas J., and Susie J.

A. LOW, farmer, came to Kansas April 1, 1857, and located in Doniphan, where he has since lived. Mr. Low was a member of the first House of the Legislature organized in the State of Kansas. He then became a member of the State Senate, and subsequently was reelected to the House. He was Register of the Kickapoo Land Office, United States Mail Agent for Kansas, Nebraska and Dakota and Commissioner four years (while it was being erected at Leavenworth) of the Kansas State Prison. Mr. Low was born in Baltimore County, Md. Lived there a short time and then moved to Milton, Miami Co., Ohio, where he lived twenty-two years, and from there came to Kansas. While living in West Milton Mr. Low was Postmaster, during the administration of Presidents Harrison and Tyler. He was married May 17, 1835, to Miss. Margaret Fulckmmer, a native of Pennsylvania. They have six children living, viz: William Henry, Ellenan, Alfred Clark, John W., Charles Asbury and Philip Aubrey. Mr. Low was proprietor of the hotel in Doniphan from 1857 to 1866. In the latter year he moved to his farm hear Doniphan, where he resided until 1872, when he returned to the city of Doniphan, where he resides at present.

JOHN W. LOWE, farmer and proprietor of vineyard at Doniphan, came to Kansas, June 22, 1857, and located in Doniphan, where he has lived since. Mr. Lowe was in the army as a member of Company I, Seventh Kansas Cavalry. He was enlisted November 9, 1861, and after sharing in all the battles and skirmishes his command was engaged in, was mustered out of the service at Fort Leavenworth, October 11, 1865. He was born in West Milton, Miami County, Ohio, September 21, 1843, and lived in his native town until he came to Kansas. Mr. Lowe was married April 26, 1872, at Doniphan, to Miss Mary Collins, a native of Kansas. They have five children living, whose names are: Chloe B., Anna M., Mary S., Halfred C. and Blanche.

WILLIAM H. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in January, 1866, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He has been a member of the School Board of District No. 54 almost ever since he has lived in the township. At present he is Clerk of the Board. Mr. Martin was in the army during the last war, as a member of Company D, Twenty-fifth Regiment Missouri Cavalry. He enlisted in the summer of 1861, in Buchanan County, Mo. Was in all of the engagements of his command and was mustered out at St. Joe, Mo., in the fall of 1864. Shortly afterward bought and moved on a farm in Wayne Township, on which he resides at present. He was born in Ray County, Mo., June 27, 1831, and lived there until two years of age, when his parents moved to Dans County, Mo., where they lived three years, and thence to Buchanan County, in the same State, where Mr. Martin lived until 1857, when he moved to Napa County, Cal., where he engaged in farming and the lumber business. He returned from California to Missouri in 1860, and shortly afterward moved to Colorado, remaining about ten months, and then returned to Buchanan County, Mo., where he remained but a short time, and then settled in Kansas. In 1877 Mr. Martin again went to California, and from there to Portland, Oregon, narrowly escaping being lost on his voyage by shipwreck. He was gone about a year, and then returned to his Kansas home. He was married February 11, 1864, in Buchanan County, Mo., to Miss Nannie Cobb, of Kentucky. They have four children, viz: Louis T., Charles A., Adelia F., and Minnie Ray. Mr. Martin has a fine farm of eighty acres of upland two miles from Doniphan City. Mr. Martin's father was one of the earliest settlers of the Platte Purchase, in that portion of it that afterward became Buchanan County, Mo. Mr. Martin remembers perfectly well when St. Joe was a trading post for the Indians, when there were no white persons in this now large city but old Joe Ribadeaux (sic), and the only building consisted of a small horse mill for grinding grain, and the log cabin of the post trader.

LORING ASHLEY MESSENGER, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in March, 1862, and located in Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He has been a School Director three terms. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and of Arcana Lodge No. 31. A. F. & A. M., and of Doniphan Chapter No. 18. R. A. M. Mr. Messenger was born in Elyria, Lorain Co., Ohio, September 4, 1839, and lived in his native place until 1860, when he removed to St. Louis, where he remained a short time and then removed to Vernon County, Mo., where he lived about a year and a half, and from there came to Kansas. Mr. Messenger was married October 9, 1859, in Elyria, Ohio, to Miss Annie Gallagher, a native of New York City. They have four children, whose names are: Mary Ashanna, Martha Loranna, Mesgal James and Malgaly Galena. Mr. Messenger is in partnership with Mr. Benjamin Curtis in a steam threshing machine, which they are operating in the western part of Doniphan County. It is a Nichols & Sheppard machine, and was manufactured at Battle Creek, Mich. It is a self-propeller and self-guider, and is entirely different from any other machine of the kind in Doniphan County. If driven to its full capacity it will thresh 2,000 bushels of grain per day. In the winter time the engine of this machine is used for sawing native lumber, of which they turn out about 5,000 feet each day. Mr. Messenger lives about two and a half miles from the city of Doniphan on his farm, which contains ninety acres of fine upland. He makes a specialty of raising fine horses and cattle.

JOHN S. MILLER, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in June, 1859 and located in Doniphan County, where he has since lived. Mr. Miller is Road Overseer of Wayne Township. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was born in Frederick County, Maryland, April 28, 1829, and lived in his native place until his seventh year, when his parents removed to Champaign County, Ohio, where he lived until 1855, when he removed to Berlin, Wis., where he lived eighteen months. While living in Wisconsin Mr. Miller became imbued with the principles of the Anti-slavery movement, and concluded to move to Kansas. Owing to the stringency of the times when he started for Kansas, Mr. M. did not immediately settle in the State of his choice, as he had at first intended, but worked for the best part of two years at his trade (carpenter), in St. Joe, Mo. When the times having brightened, and having by his industry and frugality added to his store he moved to Kansas and purchased a farm near Geary City, in Doniphan County. Mr. Miller was married in Washington County, Md., May 9, 1855, to Miss Sarah Long, a native of Maryland. They have had twelve children, of whom ten are living. Their eldest child died in infancy; their other children are as follows: Effie Jane (a graduate of Park College, Missouri; is employed by the Presbyterian Home Mission Board as a missionary to the Mexicans and is at present stationed at Concero, Colo.); Frank Prentiss (is a member of the senior class of Park College, and is preparing to enter the ministry); Henry Dorsey (is a member of the preparatory department at Park College); Sarah Elizabeth (died at Park College, Parkville, Mo., in her eighteenth year, while a member of the College); Mary Catherine (now a member of the preparatory department of Park College); John S., Hugh, Hattie, Ida, George William and Larew Chaffin. Mr. Miller ranks among the thrifty farmers of Doniphan County. He is a man of fine attainments, temperate, upright in his dealings, and held in high esteem by his neighbors. He takes great interest in educational matters, and is determined that each of his numerous sons and daughters shall receive a good education. The family all have social qualities in the highest degree, and none are more esteemed and popular than they where they are known.

W. H. NESBITT, druggist and grocer, came to Kansas in June, 1858. and located in Doniphan, where he has since resided. He is a member of Arcana Lodge No 31, A. F. & A. M., of Doniphan; Doniphan Chapter No. 13, R. A. M., and of Washington Commandery No. 2. of Atchison. Mr. Nesbitt was born in Carlisle, Nicholas Co., Ky., May 27, 1830, and lived in his native place until his twenty-second year, when he removed to Scotland County, Mo., where he lived about two years, and then came to Kansas,. Mr. Nesbitt was married in March, 1852. in Mason County, Ky., to Miss Isabella Rice, a native of Mason County, Ky. He was again married in May, 1871, in Doniphan, to Miss Ursula Wheeler, a native of New York. By both marriages Mr. Nesbitt has eight children, whose names are: Harvey, Rice, Norah, Minnie, William, Ida, Howard and Harry. Among the wide-awake business men of Doniphan none is better known than Howard Nesbitt, as his friends call him. A more genial and whole-souled gentleman and better business man cannot be found in the State of Kansas.

FLORENCE T. O'DRISCOLL, farmer, came to Kansas in the winter of the year 1855, with his parents, to the city of Doniphan, where he remained about two years, and then removed to a farm in Doniphan County, near the city, where he lived twenty-three years, and then returned to the city of Doniphan, where he has lived ever since. He is a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and of the Doniphan Literary Society. Mr. O'Driscoll was born in St. Joseph, Mo., February 22, 1854. and lived there until he was about one year old, when his parents removed to Kansas. He was married in Atchison, October 22, 1880, to Miss Florence J. Welsh a daughter of Dr. John Welsh, a prominent physician and surgeon of Doniphan. She was born in Kansas. They have one child, a girl, named Nellie, who was born on the 27th day of June, 1882. Mr. O'Driscoll's father, Major Barney O'Driscoll, was one of the early settlers, and a prominent lawyer in Doniphan County. During the war he held a Major's Commission in the Confederate Army. After the war he was a member of the Kansas State Legislature. He now resides in Silverton, Colorado.

JOHN LANG PHILBRICK, general merchant, came to Kansas in December, 1859, and located in Leavenworth, and in the February following came to Doniphan, where he has resided since. Mr. Philbrick has been Justice of the Peace, member of the State Legislature, and Warden of the State Penitentiary. He is a member of Arcana Lodge No. 31 and of Doniphan Chapter, No. 13, and of Washington Commandery No. 2, of the city of Atchison, and which commandery he organized and presided over the first four years of its existence. Mr. Philbrick was in the Mexican War, in the U. S. Naval Service, on the Pacific coast, from the commencement to the close of the war. He carried the first American flag, in April, 1841, that ever went up the Sacramento River, California. Some of the guns that were mounted in Sutter's Fort were conveyed by him to their destination. Capt. Philbrick piloted the armed vessels on the Pacific coast under Com. Shubrick into the port of San Francisco, and piloted also, the first sea-going vessel, which was a Mexican prize, up to and through the Straits of Benecie, Cal. Mr. P. was born in Effingham, New Hampshire, September 21, 1824, and lived in his native place until his tenth year, when he went to Boston, Mass., where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was married in October, 1851, in Manchester, N. H.. to Miss Sarah M. Walker, a native of Bedford, N. H. They have one child living, a son, who was born in Boston, and whose name is Charles Pierson, who is now Roadmaster on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis railroad. Few men stand higher in the opinion of their fellow townsmen than does Capt. Philbrick. Bred, and almost born on the sea, his bluff and jovial sailor ways have made him hosts of friends and patrons, who once made are his always.

JOSEPH SCHETZBAUM, blacksmith and wagon maker, was born on the 5th day of August 1841, in Unterhaching, Bavaria, Germany. In the early part of 1850 he emigrated to America with his parents. After a voyage of seventy days, which was connected with many inconveniences in those days, his parents located in Belleville Ill., at which place they made their home. By industry they prospered and were enabled to give the subject of this sketch a good education, sending him to the Catholic school, to which faith he belongs. In 1854 his parents moved on a farm near Belleville, where they lived until the death of his father, in September, 1855. In the winter of 1856-57, Mr. S. commenced his apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade, with Mr. Anton Allbrecht, at Belleville. He was thus engaged until October, 1859, when being desirous of rejoining his family, who had already preceded him to Kansas, he followed them to Doniphan. where he lived until the year 186O, when he removed to St. Louis. Mo., where he was engaged working at his trade in its various branches, until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted in the Second Missouri Infantry, Company A, and participated in the engagement at Camp Jackson, and the battle of Wilson's Creek. After being mustered out of his regiment, Mr. S. reenlisted in Company B, Twelfth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. While with this regiment he took part in the battle of Pea Ridge, and numerous smaller engagements in Missouri and Arkansas. While in Helena. Ark., Mr. S. was taken sick, sent to the hospital, and finally discharged for disability at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. After his discharge from the army he returned to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he lived until January, 1865, when he returned to Doniphan, where he has since resided and been engaged in business. Mr. S. has held the office of Treasurer of Wayne Township, for five years, has been Township Clerk three years, was a member of the School Board of the city of Doniplian in 1873, has been a member of the City Council for a number of years, and is at present City Clerk. He is Secretary of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M. and has been Worthy Master of said lodge for two terms. He is also a member of Doniphan Chapter, No. 13, R. A. M. Mr. Schletzbaum was married in Leavenworth, September 25. 1864, to Miss Christina Feller, a native of Wirtemberg (sic), Germany. She died February 27, 1881, in Doniphan. They had nine children, of whom only three are living, whose names are Mary, Bertha and Emma.

CHRISTOPHER STEINWEDEN, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in March, 1857, and located in Wayne Township, where he has lived since. He is a member of the St. John's Catholic Church, and is Clerk of School District No. 40, which position he has held over fifteen years. He is also administrator of two estates. Mr. S. was born in Ahrbergen, Hanover, Germany. November 4, 1834, and lived there until his eighteenth year, when he came to America and first settled in Platte County, Mo., remaining about three years, and then came to Kansas. Mr. S. has been married twice. The first marriage took place in Doniphan County, June 7, 1863, to Miss Sara Jane Neese, a native of Indiana. They had three children, viz: John, Ida and Anna. The second marriage took place November 19, 1874, at Atchison, to Miss Josephine Brener, a native of Prussia. They have one daughter, Maggie. Mr. Steinweden is an industrious and prosperous farmer. By close attention to his occupation, economy and hard work, he is now the owner of a fine farm which rises 400 acres, of which 200 acres are bottom land and 200 upland. On one of his upland farms he has a vineyard which covers six acres, the vines of which consist of the Concord variety of grape principally. He sells these grapes in the markets of Atchison. Last year he sold over 10,000 pounds. He also raises all kinds of fruits.

WILLIS D. STEWART, salesman for Adam Brenner's Doniphan Vineyards, came to Kansas in April, 1872, and located in Doniphan, where he has lived since. He has been Trustee of Wayne Township two terms and Delegate to the Republican State Convention at Topeka in 1868. Mr. Stewart was in the army during the last war as a member of Company E, Berdan's First United States Sharpshooters. He enlisted in February, 1864, served six months, participated in the battle of Cold Harbor, June 4, 1864, was severely wounded in this battle in the left hand by a sabre cut, and was discharged from the United States service for disability, resulting from his wound, at Annapolis, Md. Mr. Stewart was born in Warren, N. H., November 3, 1848, and lived there until his seventeenth year, when he went to Elba, Dodge Co., Wis. At this place he resided about one year, and then removed to Savannah, Andrew Co., Mo. Here he resided over a year, and was bookkeeper and confidential secretary for Edward Barnes, Treasurer of Andrew County, Mo. From Savannah he came to Kansas. Mr. Stewart was married August 14, 1876, at Winthrop, Mo., to Miss Louisa Williams, a native of Iowa. They have two children, whose names are Leroy and Minnie. Mr. Stewart is the principal traveling agent for the Doniphan Vineyards, of which Mr. Adam Brenner is the proprietor. He is a young man of rare commercial qualities, quite popular with his customers, and has no trouble in selling the much demanded wines of these vineyards.

E. W. STRATTON, real estate, insurance and claim agent, came to Kansas in July, 1857, and located in Doniphan, where, with the exception of two and a half years' absence at Kickapoo, where he was engaged in business connected with the United States Land Office, he has ever since resided. Judge Stratton has held a position in the United States Land Office at Doniphan, has been Police Judge, Justice of the Peace and Mayor of Doniplian and a member of the Kansas Legislature in the winter of the year 1866. He is a member of Arcana Lodge No. 31, A. F. & A. M. And of Doniphan Chapter No. 13, R. A. M. He was born in Franklin County, Mass., December 27, 1815, and lived there until his sixteenth year. The intervening time until he came to Kansas was spent in the cities of Boston, Philadelphia and New York. He was married in 1846 to Miss Caroline Wadhams, a native of New York City. They have had three children, two of whom are dead, whose names are as follows: Harry O., who was a member of Company C, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and was wounded at the battle of Prairie Grove, December 7, 1862, and subsequently killed while in the United States service while bearing dispatches for Col. Thomas Bowen, the Commander of his regiment, on the Mulberry River, Ark., in November, 1864. Briggs W. died at Doniphan in July, 1865. The only child living is a bright little boy, whose name is Frank Leggett. Judge S. makes a specialty of prosecuting pension and bounty claims for ex-United States soldiers, and is considered a very competent man for that class of business. He is also engaged as a collection agent. Although not the proprietor of a vineyard, Judge Stratton manufactures a superior quality of tonic wine, which is composed of the juices of the cherry, blackberry, Concord and wild grape, and elderberry. It is noted or its fine flavor and rich color, and its medical qualities are recognized both by physicians and the public generally.

GEORGE M. WALLER, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas June 15, 1854, and located in Doniphan County, where he has since resided. He has been Clerk of the Township Board, Road Overseer, and is at present a member of the School Board of Doniphan. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a charter member of Arcana Lodge No. 31, A. F. & A. M., at Doniphan. Mr. Waller was born in Woodford County, Ky., December 3, 1820, and lived in his native place until his tenth year, when his parents moved to Ralls County, Mo., where he lived until the fall of 1844, when he removed to St. Joe, Mo., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. Waller was married in Ralls County, Mo., August 13, 1840, to Miss Mary A. Smith, a native of Garrett County, Ky. They have seven children living, viz: Sarah Margaret, James T., William Felix, Mildred Helen, Annie Mariam, John Albert and George B.

JOHN WELSH, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Kansas April 7, 1857, and located in Doniplian, where he has since lived and practiced medicine, with the exception of four years spent in Seneca, Nemaha County, in practicing his profession. He has been Postmaster, Justice of the Peace, and is at the present time a member of the City Council of Doniphan. He is a member of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M. of Doniphan. Mr. W. was in the United States service as a surgeon at the Post Hospital at Leavenworth in 1864, and was discharged from the service in 1865. He was born in Sandusky, Ohio, May 1, 1823, and lived there but one year, when his parents moved to Mount Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio, where they lived about seven years. Dr. Welsh commenced reading medicine in Keene, Ohio, in 1842, with Dr. Horn. Afterwards Dr. W. removed to Iowa; then to Missouri, where he married, and continued the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. R. H. Hereford, and came to Kansas in May, 1857, and commenced the practice of medicine in Doniphan. He is a graduate of the Hospital Medical College, of St. Joseph, Mo., and has been in constant medical practice for over twenty-four years. he was married June 3, 1848, in Bowling Green, Mo., to Miss Margaret J. Travy, a native of Missouri. They have had twelve children, of whom seven are living, viz., Mary Frances, married to L. A. Hoffman, editor of the Humboldt Independent Press; James H., a machinist, married to Mattie J. Walker, of Missouri (they have two children); Florence J., married to Florence O'Driscoll, a native of Doniphan, (the have one child); Annie Milton, married to Leo Slayton, a native of Ohio; Joseph Richard, druggist and editor of the Doniphan News; Katie and Johnnie, at school.

JAMES M. WHITTAKER, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1855, and located in Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., June 8, 1853, and lived in his native place until his third year, when he moved to Kansas with his parents. Mr. W. was married in the fail of 1876, in Doniphan County, to Louise Michaels, a native of Kansas. They have one child, a daughter, whose name is Jessie. Mr. Whittaker owns a farm of 240 acres about three and a half miles from the city of Doniphan. It is mostly upland, all cleared except twenty acres of excellent timber land, which is covered principally by oak and walnut trees. Mr. W. pays particular attention to raising grain, hogs and cattle. He has a fine orchard on his farm, which covers about four acres, and which contains about 600 bearing apple trees. The farm is supplied with plenty of good water, a fine stream running through it. His residence and farm buildings are large and new, and well adapted for the purposes for which they were intended.

ELIZA ANN WILLIS, widow of Darius Willis, farmer P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas with her husband in the spring of 1862, and located on their farm in Wayne Township, where they lived until the spring of 1865, when they moved to Shannon Township, Atchison County, later returning to Doniphan County. Mrs. Willis was born in Putnam County, Ind., October 28, 1828, and resided there with her parents until her sixteenth year, when they removed to De Kalb, Buchanan Co., Mo., where they died. Previous to their death, Mrs. W. was married in Buchanan County, March 15, 1849, to Mr. Darius Willis, a native of Kentucky. Mrs. W.'s maiden name was Hartsock. She was a daughter of Peter Hartsock, Esq., a native of Virginia. Mrs. W. has three children living, whose names are, Peter J., Florence L. and John H. The youngest son, John H., is, and has been for the last seven years, manager of her 200-acre farm. He is a young, energetic and progressive farmer and under his able superintendence things wear a thriving look. The farm is partly rolling prairie and partly bottom land, and has an orchard which contains about seventy-five apple, peach and cherry trees. The farm is mostly enclosed, and has on it a couple of fine springs. The supply of water is abundant and of good quality. The farm lies partly in Atchison and partly in Doniphan counties and is not surpassed in improvements or fertility by any farm in either county.

AUGUST FREDERICK WlNZER, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in the spring of 1875, and located in Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M., and of Doniphan Chapter No. 13, R. A. M. He was in the late war as a member of Company K, Second Kansas Infantry, and enlisted in the spring of 1861 at Fort Leavenworth. Mr. Winzer participated in the battles of Dug Spring, Carthage, Pea Ridge, Willson's Creek and Shelbina. He was wounded while in the service, and was discharged for disability in the fall of 1861 at Fort Leavenworth. He was born in Saxony, Germany, June 10, 1842 and lived in his native place until his thirteenth year, when he came to America and located on Staten Island, N. Y., where he lived one year, and then removed to Weston, Mo., where he resided until 1858. He then traveled over the United States and Territories, going to the Rocky Mountains and other places, then returned to Weston, and from there came to Kansas. Mr. Winzer was married in Weston, Mo., September 24, 1865, to Miss Louisa Majors, a native of Missouri. They had two children, boys, both of whom are dead. Mr. W. has a fine farm of eighty acres, mostly rolling prairie. He raised 500 bushels of wheat this season - an average of twenty-five bushels to the acre. He has twenty acres in corn this year, on which he estimates he will raise 1,500 bushels. He has a small herd of Durham cattle. He has an orchard covering about half an acre, which contains apple, peach, pear and cherry trees. Mr. Winzer is a substantial and thorough farmer and attends personally to the management of his farm. He is noted for his industry and frugality, and ranks among the best farmers of Wayne Township.

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]