|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALBERTSON - HUTCHINS).
ALBERT ALBERTSON, at present a thrifty Danish farmer, but for many years a hardy and daring seaman, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1865, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, and has resided there since. Mr. A. is a member of the Lutheran Church, of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M, of Doniphan, of Troy Chapter No. 16, R. A. M., and of Washington Commandery Knights Templar No. 2, of Atchison. All during the late war of the Rebellion Mr. Albertson was chief mate of various steamers in the employ of the United States Government, and plied principally on the Mississippi, Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, and was in numerous engagements during this time. Mate Albertson was born on the Island of Ara, in Denmark, August 14, 1822, and lived on his native isle until his twelfth year, when he ran away to sea and adopted a sailor's life, which he followed all his days until he came to Kansas. During the Mexican War, Mate Albertson was in the employ of the United States Government, and was engaged in transporting troops for the American army from St. Louis to New Orleans. During this time, and while Mr. Albertson was mate of the transport steamer "Louisiana," news was received of the capture of Cerro Gordo by Gen. Scott. Mate Albertson and his comrades desired to celebrate the victory by firing a national salute. While so engaged, owing to the premature discharge of one of the cannon, one of the gunners was killed and Mate Albertson severely wounded in the left hand by a splinter from the cannon, from which he suffers today. After the conclusion of the Mexican War he was steam boating on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and was so engaged until he came to Kansas. Mr. Albertson was married in St. Louis, July 30, 1852, to Miss Christina Hansen, a native of Norway. They have no children. Mr. Albertson, since his advent in the State, devotes his entire time to managing his large farm and ranks among the prosperous farmers of Kansas.
ANDERS ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in the spring of 1860 and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has always resided, with the exception of the time spent in the United States army. He is an active member of the Lutheran Church, and by his efforts and more substantial aid assisted in erecting the church building. He has been secretary of the congregation for ten years, and served six years as director of school boards in districts where he resided. Mr. Anderson was in the army during the late war, as a Sergeant of Company G, Eighth Kansas Infantry, and was enlisted October 2, 1861, at Fort Leavenworth; shared in all the dangers and hardships of his command (from the effects of which he suffers to-day), and was mustered out of the service October 2, 1864, at Point Lookout, Md. Mr. A. during his term of service did duty in Wyoming Territory, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland and Virginia. He was born in Hommedals Parish, Christiansands Stift, Norway, December 22, 1822, and lived in his native place until the fall of 1846, when he came to America and located in Buchanan County, Mo., where he lived three years and was engaged as a carpenter. >From Missouri he went to Sacramento, Cal., where he remained a short time, and then went to the mines in Placer, Nevada and Yuba Counties, where he was engaged in prospecting until the fall of 1853, and then returned via Panama in the spring of 1854 to Missouri, where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. Anderson and his brothers live and work a farm, an undivided estate of 160 acres, in Wayne Township. The farm is rolling prairie and very fertile, and one of the best in the township. They have an orchard on the farm, which supplies apples enough for home consumption and to spare. The also have peaches, blackberries and grapes in abundance, and good out-buildings. There is a never-failing well of pure water close to the house. There is also a fine stream of water running through the farm.
NELS ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has always lived, except the time spent in the army. Is an active member of the Lutheran Church. He was in the army during the late war as a member of Company G, Eighth Kansas Infantry, and enlisted at Leavenworth, October 2, 1861. Shared in the dangers and privations of his comrades; was in the battles of Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and numerous smaller engagements; was wounded in the shoulder at the battle of Chickamauga, and was mustered out October 2, 1864, at Chattanooga, Tenn. Mr. Anderson was born in Hommedals Parish, Christiansands Stift, Norway, in March, 1826, and lived in his native country until the fall of 1846, when he emigrated with other members of his family, eight persons in all, to America, and located in Buchanan County, Mo., where he lived thirteen years and was engaged as a blacksmith, and then came to Kansas. He lives on a farm with his brother in Wayne Township, near the city of Doniphan.
OSUL ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in April, 1860, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has since resided. He has been Treasurer of School District No. 54, Wayne Township, for four years. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Anderson was born in Herefos-sogn, Norway, October 21, 1837, and lived in his native place until his ninth year when be emigrated to America with his parents and settled in Buchanan County, Mo. where he lived fourteen years, and then moved to Kansas. He was married in Doniphan County, May 28, 1862 to Miss Charity Spencer, a native of Ross County, Ohio: They have three children whose names are Osborne Morrison, (born March 6, 1863); Mary Alice (born May 1, 1866); Catherine West (born August 19, 1869). Mr. Anderson has a small but productive farm of twenty-seven acres of upland in Wayne Township. On this he has a small vineyard, containing about one-eighth of an acre. The grapes raised thereon he sells in the markets of Atchison and other cities. He has a peach and apple orchard on his farm, the former containing about 100 and the latter about sixty trees, principally of the Genitan and Ben Dans varieties. Both orchards are very productive, and this year are laden with fruit.
ANTON BRAUN, merchant, came to Kansas May 11, 1868 and located in Doniphan, where, with the exception of one year and a half spent in St. Louis, he has always lived. Mr. Braun was born in Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, Germany, July 7, 1848, and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. He was married in St. Louis, October 6, 1873, to Miss Mary Beber, a native of Rheinpfalz, Germany. They have four children living, whose names are: Katie A., John, Andrew Jacob, and Annie Barbara Mary.
WENDELL BRAUN, vineyardist at Bellevue Vineyards, came to Kansas in October, 1867, and located in Doniphan City, where he lived until 1875, when be removed to Belleville, Ill., where he remained two years, and then returned to Doniphan, where he has lived since. Mr. Braun is a member of St. John's Catholic Church of Doniphan and of the Under-Stitzens-Verein, of Belleville Ill. Mr. Braun was born in Deidesheim, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, Germany, July 1, 1837, and lived in his native place until his twenty-second year. He then entered the Third Regiment of Infantry in the German army, where he served five years and was honorably discharged, after which he came to America and settled in Xenia, Ohio. He lived here two years, and from there came to Doniphan. He was married twice; the first marriage took place in Atchison, May 7, 1870, to Miss Barbara Bauer, a native of Illinois. She died in February, 1875. Two children were the result of this marriage, whose names are William and Mary. Mr. Braun was married a second time in Leavenworth, November 6, 1877. to Miss Maggie Wetzer, a native of Illinois. They have three children, whose names are: Frank, Albert and Annie.
ADAM BRENNER, proprietor of the Doniphan Vineyards and manufacturer of native wines and brandies, came to Kansas, August 20, 1857, and located in Doniphan where he has since lived. He is a member of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M, Doniphan Chapter No. 13. R. A. M. Mr. B. was born in Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, Germany, June 22, 1824, and lived in his native place until his twenty-third year, when he came to America and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he lived one year. He then traveled extensively over the United States for a couple of years, and then settled in Iowa, where he lived seven years and was a book-keeper in a dry goods house. From Iowa he came to Kansas. Mr. Brenner has been married twice. The first marriage took place in Fairfield, Iowa, in September, 1852, when he was united to Miss Leah B. Hoffman, a native of Lancaster County, Pa. He was married again on the 29th day of May, 1866, in Atchison, to Miss Martha A. Forman, a native of Missouri. Mr. B. had five children by his first wife, whose names are Anna B., Eby M., Martha B., Charles D., and Kittie Leah. By his present wife be has also had five children, whose names are Frank Lee, Bertha, Arthur, Mollie, and Adelaide. When Mr. Brenner first came to Doniphan he was in the general merchandise business for four years. He then engaged in shipping grain on a large scale, and furnished supplies, during the late war, to the United States Government - principally to the Government posts at Ft. Leavenworth and St. Louis. In 1867 Mr. Brenner built the first grain elevator that was erected in the State of Kansas. Its capacity was 40,000 bushels and cost at that time over $16,000. This elevator was destroyed by fire in 1872, and with it a large amount of grain. On this elevator, owing to defective policies, Mr. Brenner only recovered as insurance, $3,000. The elevator was never rebuilt. In the year 1865, owing to the flattering reports and inducements held out by the Kansas State Horticultural Society, Mr. B. commenced setting out his vineyards at Doniphan, which now comprise over fifty acres, built his vaults, cellars and press houses, etc. His warehouse is of brick, two stories high, and has a frontage of forty-two feet with sixty-five feet depth, with a commodious cellar. The main and second floors are divided into business offices, bottling and packing rooms, and a brandy manufacturing department, of the produce of which he sells annually many thousand gallons. In the cellar beneath the main building are stored five immense casks that contain 2,000 gallons of wine each, five more casks that contain 1,500 gallons each and numerous smaller casks containing from 500 to 1,000 gallons each of the different varieties of wine made by him - making a grand total of thirty thousand gallons in this one cellar, which is used exclusively as a sales-cellar, and where the orders are filled; two other large cellars, containing an equal amount of wine each with the sales-cellar, are used as storage cellars only. In the busy season Mr. Brenner employs as high as fifty hands, The medicinal qualities of the wines and brandies manufactured at these vineyards have long been known and their reputation is world-wide. The orders received daily, suffice to keep every one connected with this immense establishment fully employed.
GEORGE BRENNER, proprietor of the Bellevue Vineyards, came to Kansas, June 7, 1860, and located in Doniphan, of which city he is the present Mayor. He is a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, of Doniphan. Mr. Brenner was born in Deidesheim, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, Germany, September 5, 1842, and lived in his native town until he came to Kansas. Mr. Brenner was married in October 1866, in Doniphan to Miss Eugenia Frank. A native of Pittsburgh, Pa. They have five children, whose names are: Estella, Mary, Edna, Amelia, and Anna. When Mr. B. first came to Doniphan he was a clerk for his uncle Adam Brenner, in the general merchandise business. He remained with his uncle three years and then went to Atchison, where he was book-keeper for D. C. Robbins for two years. He then returned to Doniphan and took an interest with his uncle in the grain and agricultural implement business. In 1867 he removed to Iowa Point Kas., where he opened a branch of the house of A. & G. Brenner. He remained at Iowa Point about one and a half years, and then returned to Doniphan, bought out his partner's interest in the business and ran it on his own account for about one year. In 1869 he planted his first vineyard which then embraced only five acres. Bellevue Vineyard now occupies about forty-five acres, and the total manufacture of wines amounts to 25,000 gallons annually. In the busy season over fifty hands are employed at Bellevue Vineyards. The name of "Bellevue" was given by Mr. Brenner to his grounds, from the commanding position and beautiful scenery of the surrounding country viewed from his place. The grounds gradually slope from where his home is centered, which is laid off with beautiful grape arbors of different lengths. One of especial mention extends 150 feet and is thirteen feet wide by ten high, fairly laden with the luscious fruit. Surrounding are his vaults, packing and storehouses. This year he is making decided improvements, expecting to do a larger business than of any preceding year. He is truly a self-made young man and has a local standing as a social and business man to be envied by any. He uses every effort to sustain the high character and standing of the rapidly growing reputation of the Brenner wines. Though the yards of Jacob, Adam and George Brenner adjoin each other and the manufacturing and selling of the produce are separate, yet in every degree all the wines possess the same high qualities. That grape culture has proven in this section of country a success beyond a doubt by the Messrs. Brenner, and that to this industry Doniphan must attribute its leading support and mainstay, is shown by the number of acres in grapes now in cultivation around here. There are over 100 acres which this year will yield 1,000,000 pounds of grapes, producing 75,000 gallons of wine and requiring many casks, ranging from 300 to 2,400 gallons capacity. There are twenty-four varieties of grapes grown, but those yielding the best and getting the most attention are the Concord, Virginia Seedling, Elvira, Martha, Delaware, Catawba, and Goethe. The Elvira, a white variety, has been unusually successful, making the finest of native white wine. The white Concord made here is taking the lead in the market for its fine qualities. Mr. Brenner makes a specialty of the Goethe and Virginia Seedling wines. The Doniphan wine trade extends into Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado Texas, Michigan, and Montana, having large and regular customers in each State.
JACOB BRENNER, proprietor Central Vineyards, came to Kansas June 7, 1860, and located in Doniphan, where he has since resided. He was born in Deidesheim, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria, Germany, January 12, 1816, and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. He was married in Deidesheim, Bavaria, July 5, 1841, to Miss Barbara Raufer, a native of Forst, Rheinpfalz, Bavaria. They have five children, viz., George, Adam, Margaret, Mary and Nicholas. Mr. Brenner started the Central Vineyards in 1864, with only 200 vines, as a matter of experiment. His vineyards, which are called the Central because they lie between the vineyards of his brother Adam and his son George, now contain over fifteen acres, and the annual production of wine is about 7,000 gallons. Mr. Brenner attends personally to his vineyards, selling his productions as fast as he can get them ready for market. He has one variety of wine, the Taylor Bullit, which is not manufactured at either of the other vine-yards, and of which he has the monopoly of sale. It is much superior in quality, in the opinion of competent judges and connoisseurs, to any wine produced in Doniphan. The dimensions of Mr. B.'s wine cellar are 22x38 feet, and 10 feet high. Its storage capacity is about 10,000 gallons. The other varieties of wines produced by him are the Virginia Seedling, Dry Catawba, White and Red Concord. From twenty to twenty-five hands are employed by him during the busy season. He does not care much as to the quantity of wine he produces in a season, but he is very careful as to its quality. Mr. B. makes a specialty of wines for sacramental purposes, for which he is receiving large orders daily.
JAMES BURKE, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in June, 1857, and located in Doniphan County. He is a member of St. John's Catholic Church, in Doniphan. He was in the late war as a member of Company F, Fourth Regiment Kansas Infantry; was enlisted in February, 1862, and was transferred to Company F, Tenth Regiment Kansas Infantry, in April of the same year. Mr. Burke shared in all the dangers and privations of his comrades, and was discharged from the service on account of disability, in April, 1863, at Springfield, Mo. He was born in Templemore, County Tipperary, Ireland, in July, 1829 and lived in his native town until his twenty-first year, when he emigrated to America, and first settled in Augusta County, Virginia. He lived there one year, and then removed to Jefferson County, Ohio, where he also lived but one year. He then removed to Keokuk County, Iowa, where he stayed the same length of time. About this time Mr. Burke started on an extensive traveling tour over the United States and Territories, which lasted several years. He finally reached Kansas, and located in Doniphan County, where he has resided since. Mr. Burke has been married twice. The first marriage took place in July, 1866, in Atchison, at St. Benedict's Cathedral, to Miss Catherine Rolls, a native of Fethard, County Tipperary, Ireland. She died in August, 1872. They had one child by this marriage, a son, whose name was John Redmond. He died in 1871, when he was but fourteen months old. The second marriage took place in September, 1876, in Doniphan, at St. John's Church, to Miss Julia Langan, a native of Mullongar, Ireland. Mr. Burke has a fine farm of 160 acres in Wayne Township, two and a half miles from the city of Doniphan. It is all rolling prairie, excepting forty acres which are timber land, and is thickly covered with oak and walnut trees. The cleared portion of the farm is remarkably fertile. Mr. B. has a fine and commodious residence and good outbuildings. He has also a timber tract of 160 acres in Marion Township, covered with first and second growth cottonwood. Mr. Burke has a herd of fine cattle, composed principally of thoroughbreds. Mr. B. is well and favorably known throughout Doniphan County.
MARTIN BYERS, physician, came to Kansas in November, 1878, and located in Effingham, where be resided and practiced his profession for about one year and a half. >From Effingham he went to Winthrop, Mo., where he remained about the same length of time, and from there removed to Atchison, where he resided six months, and from there removed to Doniphan, where he has since resided. Dr. Byers is a member of the Christian Church, and was born in Lancaster County, Pa., April 5, 1815. He lived in his native place until his seventh year, when his parents removed to Franklin County, Pa., where he lived until his seventeenth year, when he removed to Perry County, Ohio. Here he lived about twenty years, and then removed to Iowa County, Iowa, where he continued to reside twenty-two years. From there he removed to Taylor County in the same State, where he lived two years, and from there came to Kansas. Dr. Byers is a graduate of the Iowa Eclectic Medical College, of Iowa City, class of '60. Ever since his graduation, a period of twenty-two years, he has been following his profession. He has been married twice. His first marriage took place in Perry County, Ohio, January 1, 1836, to Miss Elizabeth Boor, a native of Ohio. They had six children, five of whom are living and whose names are William F., John Henry, Martha, Leander and Ellen. Dr. Byers was married a second time in Missouri, in March, 1882, to Mrs. Susan Vaughn, a native of Kentucky.
WILLIAM H. COE, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in December, 1881, and located in Doniphan, where he has since lived and practiced his profession. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was born in Atlanta, Ga., July 17, 1849, and resided in his native place until March, 1878, when he came to Kansas City, Mo., where he resided until he came to Kansas. Dr. Coe is a graduate of the Atlanta (Ga.) Medical College, class of '70. After his graduation he began the practice of medicine in Atlanta, and was so engaged until he came to Kansas City, and has been in continuous practice ever since, and is well known as a successful practitioner.
JAMES RICHARD DARRAH, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in the fall of 1869, and first located in White Cloud, Doniphan County, where he resided one winter and then removed to Sumner County, where he lived one year and then returned to Doniphan County, where he has lived since. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He participated in the last war as a member of Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-Sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and enlisted August 12, 1862, at Cordova, Illinois, and was discharged from the service at Pine Bluff, Ark., in August, 1865. He took part in the capture of Little Rock, Ark., and numerous other engagements and skirmishes. Mr. Darrah was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., January 3, 1840, and lived in his native State until his fifteenth year, when he removed to Rock Island County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Kansas. He has been engaged in farming almost all his life, and is well known as a hard working, trustworthy man.
EDWARD A. EGE, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in August, 1856, and located in Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has lived since. Mr. Ege was in the late war as Wagon Master with General Blunt's command. After the cessation of hostilities he returned to Doniphan County. He was born in Cumberland County, Pa., April 5, 1840. He lived but a short time in his birthplace when his parents removed to Maryland, and where he lived until his sixteenth year, when he came to Kansas. Mr. E. was married in Doniphan County, February 21, 1867 (the day known as the coldest one in the winter of '67), to Miss Mary A. Muldoon, a native of New York City. They have four children, viz: Charles A., Mary A., Henriette G. and John J.
JAMES H. ELIOT, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in August, 1877. and located in Osborne County, where he lived for four years, and from there came to Wayne Township, Doniphan County, where he has since lived. He was Treasurer of School District No. 73, Osborne County, one term. He was born June 20, 1848, in Cortland County, N. Y., where he lived until seven years of age, when his parents moved to Stephenson County, Ill., where they lived four years and then removed to Carroll County, Ill., and from there to Whiteside County, in the same State, residing two years in each county, then removed to Bureau County, Ill., remaining five years. At the expiration of this time Mr. Eliot traveled in various parts of this county for two years and then in Warren County Mo. He lived here one year and then moved to Union County, Iowa, where he lived off and on about five years, and then came to Kansas. Mr. Eliot was married May 16, 1871, in Vernon County. Mo., to Miss Eliza J. Milton, a native of Missouri. They have five children, whose names are Mary C., Martha L., Reuben P., Rose L., and Myrtle.
WILLIAM P. FLOYD, farmer, P. O. Doniphan, came to Kansas in March, 1857, and located in Doniphan County, and has resided here since. He has been Constable two terms. Mr. Floyd was in the army During the War of the Rebellion as a member of Company M, Second Nebraska Cavalry, and enlisted in March, 1863, at Nemaha City, Neb., and after sharing in the dangers and hardships of his command, was discharged in January, 1864. One month later (Feb., '64) he re-enlisted at Fort Leavenworth in Company I, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and after the conclusion of the war was mustered out of the service of the United States in September, 1865. In the fall of the year 1868 during the Indian troubles in Kansas, Mr. Floyd again rendered the State some service by enlisting in Company H, Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry. He served six months as a Sergeant of this company, and was discharged at Fort Hayes, Kas., in April, 1869. Mr. Floyd was born in Clarksville, Tenn., October 11, 1846, and lived there until his third year when his parents removed to Alton, Ill., where they lived about seven years and then removed to Kansas. Mr. F. was married at Rushville, Mo., March 2, 1871, to Miss Lucinda Wood, a native of Missouri. They have four children living whose names are: Hugh Harvey, Samuel Henry, Ettie Esther and Ebbie.
CHARLES N. FLOYD, school teacher, Doniphan, came to Kansas in August, 1857, and located in Doniphan County, where, or in the city of Doniphan, he has lived ever since. He was born in Oregon, Holt Co., Mo., June 26, 1857, and lived there but a short time when his parents moved to Kansas. He was married August 30, 1878, in the city of Doniphan, to Miss Laura S. Hudnall, a native of Kansas and a daughter of Dr. H. W. Hudnall, a prominent physician and old settler of Doniphan County. Mrs. Floyd died in the city of Doniphan, January 29, 1882, leaving one child, a son whose name is Paul Perrigo. Mr. Floyd is a graduate of the Normal School, of Oregon Mo. He attended this institution two and one-half years, and graduated therefrom in June, 1879. He is an able and thorough teacher, and has a rare faculty of imparting knowledge to his pupils. He has taught a number of terms in Missouri and Kansas.
JAMES F. FORMAN, farmer and surveyor, came to Kansas in November, 1848, and located at the great Nemaha Sub-Agency where he remained four and one-half years, and from there he came to Doniphan, where he has lived since. Mr. Forman has been County Surveyor six terms, Justice of the Peace seven years, and Township Trustee two years. He is one of the charter members of Arcana Lodge No. 31, A. F. & A. M. A member of Doniphan Chapter No. 13, R. A. M., and of Virginia City, Mont. Commandary No. 1, Knight Templars. Mr. Forman was born in Bourbon County, Ky., June 6, 1821. and lived there until his fifteenth year when his parents moved to Scotland County, Mo., where he lived until 1848, and from there came to Kansas. He was married in Monticello, Lewis Co., Mo., May 23, 1847, to Miss Martha A Pemberton, a native of Kentucky. They have three children living, viz., Fannie, married to R. P. R. Miller, of Lincoln, Neb.; John W., now living in Texas, and Lida, who resides with her uncle, J. W. Forman, in Lewis County, Mo. Mrs. F. died at Monticello Mo., November 17, 1862, after which Mr. F. went to Montana Territory and remained four years, and returned in 1868 and married Mrs. Ruby L. Soule, of New York, with whom he now resides at Doniphan. The history of Doniphan could not be written without mentioning the name of James F. Forman. He has labored and worked with an earnest and untiring zeal in every project and undertaking which had for its object, its growth and welfare. He is a modest and unassuming gentleman, and is esteemed by his neighbors.
BENJAMIN W. HUTCHINS, Constable of the city of Doniphan, came to Kansas in June, 1857, and located in Doniphan where he has since resided. He was born January 10, 1852, in West Milton, Miami Co., Ohio, and lived there until his fifth year when his parents moved to the city of Doniphan. He was married September 12, 1872, to Miss Catherine Ketcham, a native of Buchanan County, Mo. They have three children, viz,: William F., Walter E., and Minnie M.