William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 38] [part 36] [Cutler's History]


In the southwestern part of Kapioma Township is Arrington, at which are the fine iron springs, which are acquiring quite a reputation in this county and adjoining localities. The first schoolhouse in the township was erected at Arrington by District No. 30. In November, 1854, R. A. Van Winkle, one of the first settlers of this portion of the county, and Thomas Hooper erected a steam saw-mill. The post office at Arrington was established in 1858, Mr. Van Winkle being appointed postmaster.


ALEXANDER ACHESON, farmer, P. O. Larkin. Was born in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1836, and was raised a farmer but learned the blacksmith trade which he followed until his removal to Kansas in 1869, when he located on Section 17, Township 7, Range 18, and has 160 acres, 120 under cultivation. He was married in 1859, in Carroll County, Ohio, to Miss Mary E. McAllister, and has four children, viz: William, Anna M., Edward D. and Joseph H. He has been Treasurer of School District No. 54 for several years.

J. M. ARTMAN, proprietor of hotel and livery stable, Larkin, was born in Boone County, Mo., in 1832, and was brought up a farmer. In 1857 he came to Kansas and located in Jackson County, but raising no crop he returned to Missouri. In the fall and in the spring of 1858 he went to Johnson County, Kan., and engaged in farming. In 1859 he again located in Jackson County where he lived until 1867, when he removed to his present location. He has been a successful farmer. He now owns 140 acres near Larkin, and 160 acres near Tippinville, in Jackson County, - all well improved land. In 1880 he opened a hotel and livery stable in Larkin. He was married in 1854 to Miss Lucinda J. Hubbard, of Platte County, Mo., a daughter of Stephen Hubbard, one of the pioneers of that county. They have nine children - Elizabeth, Stephen, Nancy, Mary, James, Janie, Adeline, Katie, and Albert. Mr. Artman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

G. W. BOWSER, farmer, P. O. Larkin, was born in Tennessee near the Virginia line, in 1834, and at the age of sixteen was engaged in teaming to Knoxville and King's Salt Works, which business he followed until 1855, when he came to Kansas with his parents and settled on Section 8, Town 7, Range 17. In 1859, his father dying, the care of the family devolved on him, and considerable credit is due to him for the faithful manner in which he has discharged his assumed duty. His mother lived to the age of seventy-four years, and was his especial care in her declining years. In 1864, he was a member of the Kansas Militia, and was called out to repel Price, when on his raid through this State. At Westport, during an engagement with Price's forces, his horse was stunned by a bullet and fell on him, but he escaped without any injury; his horse died in a few days. In 1872, he was married to Miss Margaret Roberson, a daughter of James Roberson, one of the pioneers of this township. They have had four children, but two of whom are living - John and Olia. Mr. Bowser is a very successful farmer and stockraiser. He owns 597 acres of land, 250 under cultivation, making one of the finest farms in Kapioma Township.

M. HARVEY, P. O. Valley Falls, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1820, and was brought up on a farm, and in 1867, came to Kansas, settling on his present location, where he has 160 acres of land all under cultivation with good buildings and other improvements. Was married in 1840 to Miss Betsey A. Van Etten, of Onondaga, N. Y.; they have no children.

DAVID HENEKS, proprietor of Arrington Merchant Mills, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., in 1834, and was raised on a farm where he worked a portion of the time at the blacksmith trade. In 1855, he moved to Cedar County, Iowa, and engaged in farming, and in 1861, moved to Kansas and settled near Wetmore, Nehama County, and engaged in farming. In 1863, he went to Montana and engaged in mining until 1865, when he returned to Kansas; during the winter of 1865-66, he spent at Leavenworth, working at the wagon trade. In 1866, he worked at the wagonmaker's and carpenter's trade in Nehama County, and followed until 1871, when he engaged in farming until 1880, when he bought the Arrington Mill property, embracing besides the mill and dwelling some eighty acres of land, lying on both sides of the Delaware River. The mill is of the old style water mill, and through the present proprietor, has established a reputation second to none. In 1881 a mineral spring was discovered near the mill dam, and has added largely to the prosperity of the place. Mr. Heneks laid out the larger part of his property in town lots and has leased the spring and grove to a party of capitalists. Lately he has discovered two more mineral springs, one of them showing the best analysis of any in America. He was married in 1857 to Miss Mary Keyser, in Montgomery County, Pa. They have three children - Noah B., John and Eldora. Mr. Heneks is at present Treasurer of School District No. 30.

W. R. LATTIMORE, farmer, two and one-half miles south of Muscotah, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Ottawa County, Ohio, in 1840, and was reared on a farm. In 1862, enlisted in Company G., One Hundred and Eleventh Ohio Infantry. Was mustered in at Toledo, Ohio, in August, and was in the army of the Cumberland, engaged in over thirty-two battles and skirmishes. Was mustered out as Orderly Sergeant at Salisbury, N. C., in July, 1865, and discharged at Cleveland, Ohio, in the same month. He was married January 1, 1866 at Port Clinton, Ohio, to Miss Sarah L. Harris. They have four children - Willie S., Burton, Asa E. and Albia M.

DANIEL RICE, farmer, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Indiana County, Pa., in 1821, and brought up on a farm. At eighteen years of age he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in his native place until 1854, when he went to Stephenson County, Ill., and farmed and worked at his trade until 1870, when he came to this State and settled on south quarter of Section 22, Town 6, Range 17, in Kapioma Township, and now has a well-improved farm with good buildings. He has in the meantime followed his trade. In 1843, he was married to Miss Lucy Earhart, of Indiana County, Pa.; they have nine children - David E., Nettie C., Milton A., M. L., Edwin C., Laura C., Leonora C., Homer M. and Emma R. He has been Treasurer of his School District for eleven years, and takes an active part in all matters pertaining to the public schools. He is a member of Lena Lodge, No. 42, A., F. & A. M., of Lena, Ill.

HENRY SCHIFFBAUER, farmer, stockraiser and fruit grower. P. O. Arrington, Atchison Co., Kas., was born in the city of Cologne on the Rhine, Prussia, January 27, 1841. In 1851, his parents emigrated to America, and settled in Kentucky. In 1855, his parent's moved to Kansas, but while on their way here the cholera broke out and they stopped at Hermann, Mo., where the mother died. In 1856, young Henry came to Kansas and settled at Leavenworth, where his father was engaged in the confectionery business. He found employment with a Dr. Davis. In 1857, he entered the employ of the Government Quartermaster Department as teamster, and was in the United States service in various capacities until 1866. In 1857, was with the Cheyenne expedition. In 1858, went across the plains to Fort Bridger, and from that point was detailed to accompany Kit Carson, the famous scout, to Albuquerque, N. M., with important dispatches, and on his return went to Salt Lake City, where he remained until 1859, when he returned to Fort Leavenworth and was promoted to wagon master. In 1861, went to New Orleans and back, when he went to Fort Gibson, I. T. as wagon master, where he remained eighteen months, when his train was sent to Fort Smith, Ark. At this point he acted as scout for eight months, and while out on a scouting expedition and at a point near Rays Mills, was wounded on his right hip. On his recovery he took charge of his train and made several trips to Leavenworth and Fort Scott, and after the closing of the war was honorably discharged. In 1866, he came to Kapioma Township, Atchison County, and bought 160 acres of land on Section 9, Township 7, Range 17, and has since successfully followed farming. He now owns 320 acres of land, 160 under cultivation, the balance in meadow and pasture. He has large stock interests, and is also a large fruit grower, has four acres in grapes. He was married in 1867, to Miss Margaret Glemm, daughter of John Glemm, of Kapioma Township. They have seven children - Christina E., Charles E., Sarah A., William J., Mary G., Henry F. and Robert I. He has been School Director a number of terms.

HON. RANSOM A. VAN WINKLE, P. O. Arrington, the first settler in Kapioma Township and the founder of the town of Arrington, was born November 25, 1818, in Wayne County, Ky. His father, Micajah Van Winkle, was a first-class Kentucky farmer. He was for over thirty years a Justice of the Peace, and at one time Sheriff of his county. He died in Iowa, aged seventy-seven years, universally respected. His ancestors were from Holland and settled in New York in 1642. His great grandfather, Michael Van Winkle, owned a one-third interest in 13,000 acres of land within twelve miles of New York city, but sold it in 1774, just before the Revolutionary war, at twenty-five cents per acre (it was poor sandy land then - a wilderness of pine and sand), entered the American war, and was in the battles of King's Mountain and other engagements. His paternal great grandmother was a sister of Gen. Carter, of Revolutionary fame, who afterwards settled in east Tennessee, where a large number of his descendants still reside, and where a county has been named in his honor. His grandfather's wife was a French Huguenot, his mother was Mary Phillips Van Winkle, of Welsh extraction, and was born in Culpepper County, Va. Ransom A. Van Winkle received the rudiments of an English education in a Kentucky log schoolhouse, but was for two years a cadet at West Point, and received a good education. On leaving school, he went to Illinois, and engaged for a short time in the mercantile pursuits. He was married May 4, 1843, to Miss Luia J. Cloud, daughter of Rev. Newton Cloud, a distinguished citizen of that State, a Democrat in politics, and Treasurer of the Canal Board. His wife lived but three months. He returned to his native State and followed general merchandising. He was again married November 10, 1847, to Miss Mary S. Cravens, daughter of Dr. Cravens, of a distinguished Kentucky family, a lady of education and accomplishments. He has had a varied experience in business. He at one time owned an interest in coal lands in Kentucky, which he has since sold for more than $2,000,000. He lost over $6,000 by a flood at Rowena, on the Cumberland River. He finally removed to St. Joseph, Mo.,, in 1849, and did a lucrative business in farming, for six years. In February, 1855, he removed to Kansas, and build the first claim cabin on the Grasshopper, now Delaware River, above Valley Falls, in Kapioma Township. He also built the first steam sawmill and sawed the first lumber, and built the first farm house, and taught the first school, in Kapioma Township, and was the first Postmaster at Arrington. In 1857, he purchased the claim and removed to where he now resides, on Arrington Heights, and is one of the prosperous and substantial farmers of this township. Mr. Van Winkle has taken an active part in the politics of the county. He was originally a Kentucky Abolitionist, both he and his father voting for Cassius M. Clay, for Governor. He acted with the Whig party until the organization of the Republican party, when his name headed the list for the organization of that party in Atchison County. He was a prominent Free-state man, in the early struggle in Kansas, and contributed liberally to the cause, and worked hard in its behalf. He has held a number of local offices, having been a Justice of the Peace for fourteen years, Postmaster five years, Town Trustee of Kapioma Township for eight years, a member of the Legislature in 1861 and 1862, and for six years County Commissioner of Atchison County. He was made a Master Mason in Monticello Lodge, No. 103, in Wayne County, Ky., and is a member of the Muscotah Lodge, No. 163, of Muscotah, Kan. By his second marriage he has had three children, all of whom died in infancy. He has taken a boy named Charles P. Castetline, from the Poor Farm, whom he will rear and educate. For some time he took care of his grand nieces, Misses Lillie and Mary S. Ramfield. He laid out nearly twenty acres into town lots, for his addition in the new town of Arrington.

C. A. WOODWORTH, Sr., farmer, P. O. Muscotah, is one of the pioneers of Atchison County, first settling in Walnut Township, five miles south of Atchison, in 1856, and in 1859 moved to the divide, in Mt. Pleasant Township, and in 1865 to his present location, thus having improved three farms in this county. He took an active part in politics in Territorial days, and was a member of nearly all the Free-state conventions held at that time, and in 1858, went to Washington, D. C. in the interests of that party. He was born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1811, and was brought up a farmer, and ran a large wheat and stock farm, until 1851, when he went to Virginia, and bought a plantation of 1,000 acres. In 1855, he sold his plantation and came to this State. He was married in 1836, to Miss Ellen Gordon, of Orange County, N. Y., and has four children, viz: C. A., jr., Gilbert M., B. F. and David Gordon.

HON. C. A. WOODWORTH, JR., farmer, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Luzerne County, Pa., in 1838, and received a common school education. In 1851, his parents moved to Virginia, and in 1857, he came to this State. In 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company B, Fourth Kansas Infantry, and in the fall of the same year was made Quartermaster Sergeant of the regiment, and in the summer of 1862 was commissioned as First Lieutenant of his company, and in the fall of 1862 was offered and accepted a Major's commission in the Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and commanded that regiment until the close of the war, and was mustered out at Leavenworth, in July, 1865, when he engaged in freighting across the plains. In 1866, went to Chicago, where he took a course in and graduated from Eastman's Business College. In 1867, he went to Atchison, Kan., and engaged in livery business, in 1868, he engaged in farming, and has followed that pursuit since. In politics he has always taken an active part, and has represented his District in the State Senate two terms - the sessions of 1877 and 1879. He was married in 1867, at Valley Falls, to Miss Margaret Shaw, and has two children, Nora and Edwin S.


In Walnut Township, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, are two small stations, Port Williams and Oak Mills. The first post-office in the township was established in April, 1855. J. M. Bradley being Postmaster. He also opened the first general store.

[TOC] [part 38] [part 36] [Cutler's History]