|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GRASSHOPPER TWP. (PATE - WILLARD)
B. S. PATE, grocer, Muscotah. Among those that came to Kansas at an early age was the Pate family, locating in Atchison County in 1858, a short distance from where Muscotah now stands. His father, Andrew, was closely identified among the agriculturists up to the time of his demise in 1868. The subject of this sketch is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Granger County, January 5, 1843; came to Atchison County, Kas., in 1856. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Second Kansas Cavalry, serving three years and two months, and was honorably discharged; returned to Atchison County, and pursued agriculture until 1869; went to Osage County, residing until 1874. Returned to Atchison County on the 14th of November, 1881, embarked in the grocery trade. Mr. P. is eminently popular in Muscotah as well as the county adjacent. He is a live worker in the old school Baptist Church, and for a number of years has been Elder. He was married in 1865 to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Hooper. They have had seven children by this union - Emma L., Wm. J., Mary E., Abraham W., Sarah D. and Robert B. They lost one daughter - Carrie.
SIDNEY PLATT, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Muscotah, was formerly from England, born in Yorkshire, September 9, 1825. His parents were James and Betty Platt, nee Ashworth. His father stood high in the literary circles of England, and a volume of his manuscripts was published in 1865. Sidney Platt was educated by his father and in the private schools of England, after which he clerked in his father's office until twenty-seven years of age. At that time he went to Port Natal, South Africa, for the purpose of opening a cotton plantation. This he did, employing the natives and the coolies imported from the East Indies, but soon found that it was not a profitable undertaking; so he turned his attention to the sugar traffic, exporting it to England. Here he remained till 1865, when he emigrated to America, and lived for three months at Lawrence, Mass.; and at the expiration of that time came to Atchison County, Kas., which would make the date of his settlement here 1868. At that time there were a great many wild animals in these parts, and Mr. Platt was often compelled to place traps around his dwelling to protect his family. In Africa he once caught a spotted leopard, these being uncommon, and at another time killed a snake eighteen feet in length and six inches through. Mr. Platt is a distant relative of the celebrated African explorer Livingstone, and at one time received a letter from him stating his intention of visiting him, but owing to change in the route did not do so. Mr. Platt was married in England July 31, 1848, to Miss Sarah Mills, who was born in Yorkshire. They are the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living - Fannie O., Julia, Jennie A., Lucy, Eva B., Sidney L. and Petrena S. They were all born in South Africa with the exception of the last named whose birth place was Lawrence, Mass.
L. N. PLUMMER, physician and surgeon, was born in Ross County, Ohio, August 30, 1848. The doctor was thrown upon his own resources when fourteen years old, though he managed to obtain an education and then attended medical lectures at Cincinnati, Ohio, teaching school in the winter time and also clerking, to obtain means to pursue his favorite study. In 1868 he went to Kansas, settled in Muscotah and engaged in practice, in which he has since continued, with the exception of two years, during which time he, in company with nine others, located the town of Cedarville, Smith County. The doctor bought a printing press and issued a paper there for a time, but finally disposed of his interest and returned to Muscotah and resumed his practice. Dr. P. was married in Hocking County, Ohio, November 3, 1867, to Miss Thee Karshuer of that county.
LEVEN V. PLUMMER, deceased, Section 24, was born in Fleming County, Ky., October 26, 1818. Here he was married, August 2, 1848, to Matilda Norman, and in 1854 they removed to Platte County, Missouri. Two years later they came to Atchison County, Kas., and settled on the farm where Mrs. Plummer now lives, and were among the first settlers on what is known as Brush Creek, in Grasshopper Township. Here the subject of this sketch lived until the time of his death, which occurred February 7, 1868. He was an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also his wife, and both have been members of that organization since 1860. Mrs. Plummer has a farm of eighty acres, and a good comfortable home, and by careful management and industry has reared her family of nine children and given them each a liberal education. During the fall of 1877 their house was destroyed by fire, which has since been rebuilt. The names of the children are as follows - Mary E., Dentsey A., Charles O., Thomas O., Benjamin F., Leonamus, Commodore, Harriet A., and Lumculus N.
JACOB REECE, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Effingham, was born in North Carolina, Ashe County, October 18, 1825. Is the son of Joel and Fannie Reece, nee Shearer; the former of German descent, the latter of Scotch origin. They removed to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1844, when they engaged at farming and stock raising. Jacob remained at home working on the farm and going to school till 1846, then volunteered in Government service as teamster in the Mexican war, during the latter part of which he was in active service under Col. Doniphan, during which time he never stood back in doing his duty as a soldier obeying the command of his officer or serving his country, after the close of which he returned to his home and resumed his former occupation as stock raiser. He being anxious to develop his business it became necessary for him to emigrate to some country where he could find extensive ranges for grazing, so in September, 1854, he removed to Atchison County, Kas., and settled on the place where he now lives, and was one of the very first settlers in that part of the county. Here he has successfully operated since, and he is now proprietor of 260 acres of good farm, and well stocked, and is also proprietor of forty town lots in the village of Arrington which is noted for its mineral springs, of which Mr. R. was the discoverer of the superior medicinal qualities of the water, although he has been rather reserved in some of the political contests of his county he has stood with undoubted integrity, always giving his money and influence in all public enterprises. He was initiated into the Masonic Order at Atchison in 1863, and was afterwards a charter member of Huron Lodge No. 72, of his own town. He was married in Buchanan County, Mo., in 1848, to Miss Elizabeth A. Allie. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and are the parents of seven children, viz. - William N., Martisha E., the first white child born in Grasshopper Township; Samuel M., John B., Nora R., Annie E. and Wilson A.
WILLIAM REECE, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Effingham, was born in Ashe County, N. C., May 15, 1832. His parents were Joel and Fannie Reece, the former of Dutch descent, the latter of Scotch, her maiden name was Shearer. They removed to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1844, and engaged in farming, being among the early settlers in that section of country. Mr. Reece was married October 30, 1852, to Miss Huldah Allie, who was born in Owen County, Ind., December 8, 1833. During the winter of 1854 he came to Atchison County, Kas., and bought the claim on which he now lives, and in the spring following moved out his family, which now consists of eight children - Riley A., Leanna J., Olive, Permelia A., Melvin D., Eva and Ella, who are twins, and Lone H. Mr. R. owns 192 acres of excellent farm land, a good portion of which is under cultivation. He served ten months as a teamster in the Mexican war. Mr. R. and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
REV. THOMAS RIBBENS, Muscotah. This popular gentleman is a native of England, and was born in Kent, February 10, 1820. Was there raised and educated. He early in life turned his attention to preparing for the ministry; was duly ordained in the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Came to the United States locating in Dunkirk, N. Y., in 1851, residing two years; came to Ohio, thence to Indiana, and in 1866 came to Kansas locating in Atchison County. He organized the Wesleyan Methodist Church at old Muscotah, and has been an active worker in the Christian religion in the Kansas and Nebraska circuit since that date. For a time he was a resident of Butler County, where he had charge of a church. Rev. Ribbens also attends to outside affairs from his church duties, and in Muscotah has manufactured bricks to considerable extent. He is a very popular gentleman, commanding the respect of all. He was married in England, September 5, 1840, to Miss Mary Russell, an estimable lady who, although well advanced in years, is hale and hearty.
SAMUEL M. RIGGS, physician and surgeon, was born in Grayson County, Ky., June 20, 1853. He took a course of study at Buffalo Medical College, New York, during the years 1872 and '73, and in 1874 was a graduate of the Eclectic Medical College. The subject of this sketch first came to Muscotah in 1873, and practiced his profession here between his lectures, going back again to college. One year after graduating he returned to Muscotah, and since continued to practice here, and is now one of the leading physicians of the place. Dr. Riggs is a member of the Masonic Order, and is also identified with the Eclectic Medical Association of Kansas. He married October 29, 1874, at Larkins, this state, Miss Gertrude E., a daughter of Henry and Jane L. Pridey, who settled in Leavenworth County in 1857. Their family contains three children, two sons and a daughter.
FREDERICK ROACH, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, Muscotah, was born in Estill County, Ky., April 5, 1831. In 1844 he removed to Missouri, and was a resident of Platte County for fourteen years. Here he was married to Miss Sarah A. Lorlar, and in February, 1858, came to Kansas and located on Section 35, Grasshopper Township, Atchison County, where he farmed successfully until 1872. He then removed to the village of Muscotah, where for five years he was engaged in merchandising, and at the end of that time commenced keeping hotel. This has been his occupation since, and he also runs a farm in addition to this. Mr. Roach served a number of years as Trustee of Grasshopper Township, and in 1870 and '72 served as County Commissioner.
REV. THOMAS S. ROBERTS, Pastor of the Congregational Church, was born in January, 1848, in Steuben County, N. Y. Received the foundation of his literary education at the Franklin Academy in the same State; and later, entered the Theological College of Hillsdale, Mich., where he graduated in 1876. His first labors for the Church commenced at Fond Du Lac, Wis., where he took charge of the Free-will Baptist Church and there remained until March, 1878. At that time he came to Kansas and has since had charge of the Congregational Church at Muscotah. His wife was formerly Miss Nellie Allison of this place whom he married in March, 1880. They have two daughters - Beulah S. and Bertha V.
WILLIAM H. SEEVER, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Muscotah. Was born March 28, 1826, in Fleming County, Ky. He learned the carpenter's trade in his younger days, and followed various occupations until 1852, when he removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he was employed at contracting and building bridges, and at general carpenter's work. He came to Atchison County, Kan., in 1862, locating on his present farm. He owns 120 acres of good farm land, and has been a licensed local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church ever since his residence in Kansas. Mr. Seever is extensively engaged in raising sorghum, and has a complete set of machinery for the manufacture of the same with a capacity of 140 gallons of molasses per day. He has been a strong temperance man ever since he was twenty-one years of age, and has always worked for the best advancement of the same. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Nancy Hurst, by whom he has seven children living - John W., Samuel D., Charles W., George W., Clay M., Squire M., Mary E.
ABNER D. SIMMONS, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Muscotah. Was formerly from Sullivan County, Ind., born June 4, 1827. He is the son of Johnson and Margaret Simmons, his father of English descent, and his mother, whose maiden name was Alumbaugh, was of German lineage but American born. His parents removed to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1832, and were among the early settlers in that region. They both died there in 1850, and four years later Mr. Simmons removed to Atchison County, Kan., and pre-empted the land where he now lives, and was one of the very first settlers in the county, and the third settler in Grasshopper Township. During the border troubles of 1856 he removed his family back to his former home in Missouri; but for all the disturbance there was they might as well have remained in Kansas. Mr. Simmons has always been identified with all public enterprises of his town and county. Mr. Simmons and wife are workers in the cause of Christianity, and were original members of the Old School Baptist Church of this town. Mrs. S. was formerly Miss Nancy L. Cook, a native of North Carolina. They are the parents of eight children, viz: Margaret A., John W., Sarah C., Kansas A., one of the very first white children born in Grasshopper Township: Mary I., Laura B., James W. and Cora M.
REV. J. SMITH, Pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Muscotah; was born in Athens, Ohio, March 11, 1845. He was educated at the Ohio University, graduating in the class of 1866. He then went to Missouri and engaged in insurance business, returning to Ohio in the fall of 1867, to take charge of the Hocking Seminary. In 1868 he established the Logan Journal, at Logan, Hocking County. Sold out his interests in the fall of 1869. In 1871 became connected with the Grand Island Mission, in Nebraska Conference; remained until 1880. In that year took a charge for a time in Rawlins County, Kas., then returned to Nebraska. In the spring of 1881 removed to Monrovia, remaining until March, 1882, when he took his present charge. Mr. Smith was married in Grand Island, Neb., December 6, 1874, to Miss Treffren, a native of New Hampshire. They have one child living - Lulu.
C. A. SPARKS, farmer and school teacher, Grasshopper Township, six miles northwest of Effingham, was born near Platte City, Mo., in 1850. In 1855, his parents moved to Atchison County, Kansas. In 1873, taught school in Jefferson County. In 1874-75 attended the State Normal School at Leavenworth, Kansas. In 1876, taught school in Buchanan County, Mo. In 1877, bought a farm of 120 acres in Grasshopper Township; has sixty-five acres under cultivation, fifteen acres of timber and orchard; has good buildings and farm enclosed with wire fence. Was married in 1876, in Grasshopper Township, to Miss Adelia Simmons, daughter of A. D. Simmons. They have one child. He has taught school in his district for the past four years.
JOSEPH SPEER, farmer and coal dealer, Section 35, P. O. Muscotah; was originally from Lawrence County, Ind. Received a common school education, and worked at farming until March, 1860, when he emigrated to Kansas and purchased a quarter section of land, where he now lives. This was all wild prairie land then, but is now changed to a fine improved farm. There are also extensive coal beds on Mr. Speer's land, the depth varying from ten to sixty-five feet. The thickness of the layers is eighteen to twenty inches, and he has men at work at them, and they promise to develop handsomely. Mr. Speer was one of the State Militia who suppressed the famous Price Raid during the Rebellion. He was married in Indiana, March, 1859, to Miss Mary Fountain, by whom he has nine children, all of whom are living.
JOHN B. TERRY, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Muscotah, is a Pennsylvanian, born April 17, 1815, in White County. He is the son of Joseph and Sarah A. Terry, his father of English descent, the latter, whose family name was Harris, born in East Tennessee. Mr. Terry lived on a farm with his parents, and attended school until the fall of 1833, when he moved to Green County, Mo., with a colony of people, among whom were a number of his relatives. They were the first settlers in that county, and here he made his home until 1838, when he removed to the northwestern part of the State, in what is now known as Platte County. Here he opened up a farm and lived until August, 1854, when he came with his wife and four children to Kansas, and took up a claim two and a half miles south of the present city of Atchison, and was one of the very first settlers in the county. Here he lived through all the border troubles, and neither himself or family received any personal injuries, although there were plenty of threats from the border ruffians, and they occasionally lost a horse and other stock. Mr. Terry was married in Platte County, Mo., in 1842, to Miss Sarah A. Mason, a native of Kentucky. Their family contains eleven children, viz: William H., Joseph E., James M., John B., Thomas (one of the first white children born in Atchison County), Jesse, Samuel L., Walter B., Martha (now Mrs. Rice McCubbin), Susan M. and Lizzie, (now Mrs. Robert McCubbin.)
GEORGE TETIRICK, farmer at Kennekuk, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, April 7, 1820. He received a common school education and followed farming in early life, up to the time of the breaking out of the Rebellion. Enlisted in Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served with that until 1864, and was then transferred to the First Indiana Heavy Artillery, which he served efficiently until the close if the war, when he returned to Jay County, Indiana, and resumed his former occupation until April, 1870. He then moved to Atchison County, Kansas, and located at the above place, where he has continued to reside since, except four years he lived in Brown County, Kansas. He was married August 18, 1843, in Ohio, to Miss Margaret Wiley, also a native of Ohio. They have five daughters, viz: Mary L., Roda J., Salinda M., Delia E. and Martha. They are members of the First Baptist Church at Kennekuk.
S. R. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Huron. Born in 1845 in Saline County, Missouri, he grew up in the county, and well remembers his five-mile walk to and from school. He came in 1858 to Kansas with his widowed mother and his stepfather, S. Dille, and has since that time been a resident of Atchison County. During the rebellion he served eighteen months in the Second Kansas Cavalry, and was engaged at Prairie Grove, Cane Hill and Roseville, Ark. In 1872 he bought his present farm, eighty acres, costing him $1,200. On this he built a fair frame house and planted one hundred trees, the farm now renting for $200 per annum. Mr. Thompson is descended from an old Missouri family, though his parents were both from out of the State, yet they were very early settlers in Saline County. There are two sisters of S. B. Thompson - Adeline S. Meeker, of Brown County, and Eliza J. Dickinson, of Atchison County.
STEPHEN G. TOLLE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, P. O. Muscotah, was born December 28, 1829, in Fauquier County, Va. His parents removed to Mason County, Ky., while he was only a small child, and here he was reared on a farm, attending school until 1855. He then came to Missouri, and between that time and 1870, made several trips to Kansas in surveying parties, and during the war was enrolled in the State Militia of Missouri and served till the close of the Rebellion. Mr. Tolle came to Kansas in 1870, and settled on his present farm, where he owns 110 acres of good farm land. He is Treasurer of School District 23, and himself and wife are members of the Bethel Baptist Church. Mrs. Tolle was formerly Miss Mary Martin to whom he was married in Buchanan County, Mo., in 1858. Their family consists of three children - Edward L., Lucy M. and Katie.
JOSHUA K. TRUEBLOOD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 6, P. O. Whiting, Jackson County, is a native of Parke County, Ind., born January 14, 1841. He is the son of Elias and Elizabeth Trueblood, the former of English, and the latter, whose maiden name was Kelly, of Irish descent. The early life of Joshua K. was spent on a farm with his parents who gave him a liberal education. He was an undergraduate from Earlham College at Richmond, Ind., in 1869. In October of the same year he came to Atchison County, Kan., and purchased some land. This was originally a portion of the Kickapoo Reservation, and Mr. Trueblood taught the first Indian school on the diminished reserve of this tribe, during the winter of 1869-'70. In April, 1870, he returned to Indiana, and was married to Miss Matilda Morris, with whom he soon came back to Kansas, and in the fall of the following year they went to the Indian Territory, where Mr. Trueblood was Principal of the Indian school of the Cheyenne and Arapahoe agency, which he managed successfully one year. Then returned to his land in Kansas, where he has since lived. He has a fine farm, well stocked with cattle, hogs, and other stock. Mr. T. and wife were among the first members of the New Malden Congregational Church, and are earnest and faithful workers in that society. The former was Superintendent of the County Sabbath School Association for three years, and had previously been Vice-President of the Township Association of the same body.
ROBERT A. WALLACE, Principal of the Muscotah Graded School, and farmer, Section 1, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, born in 1833. After acquiring a common school education, he attended the Academy at West Alexander, Pa., where he graduated in 1856. He made teaching his vocation during his residence in the East, and in 1868 came to Kansas; located near Farmington, Atchison County, where he was engaged in farming and teaching. In 1877, Mr. Wallace removed to the farm where he now lives, and is extensively engaged in stock raising and shipping. At the beginning of the spring term, he took charge of the Muscotah Graded School, which has an average attendance of 150 pupils, and one assistant lady teacher. Mr. Wallace was married in Washington County, Iowa, in 1860, to Miss Maggie Larrimer, a teacher in the high schools of that county. Their family comprises four boys and two girls - Lena M., Arthur F., Harry L., Bertie O., Stella J., and Orio F. C. The subject of this sketch served three years as a soldier of the Rebellion, first in the Ninetieth Regiment, and afterward in the One Hundred and Sixty-eighth.
MARTIN J. WALSH, lumber merchant, was born in Ireland, County Kilkenney, November 17, 1835. Emigrated to the United States with his parents Michael and Nancy Walsh, locating in Marquette County, Wis., and engaged in agricultural pursuits, being one of the early settlers. The subject of this sketch received but a limited education, and in 1858, removed to Stephenson County, Ill., but after living there a short time, came to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth, where he was in the employ of the Government. During the spring of '59, he crossed the plains to Colorado, making several trips, the last being in 1862. In the fall of '63, Mr. Walsh went to Montana, where he mined in company with a Mr. Campbell, and afterward, returning to Kansas, they purchased a lot of stock, which they worked in partnership till 1867. Mr. Walsh then purchased 785 acres of land in Brown County, where he has since been engaged in farming and stock raising. In the spring of '81, he started in the lumber business at Muscotah and takes an active interest in the public enterprise of his town. In 1859, he married Miss Mary Louisa, daughter of George and Margaret Tedrick, who settled in Atchison County in 1869.
WARREN H. WARING, proprietor of Kennekuk House, came to Kansas in January, 1878, and started at farming in Muscotah. During the spring of 1881, he removed to Kennekuk, and purchased the place where he now lives. Mr. Waring was born at Saratoga Springs, N. Y., February 27, 1830, on the farm where his great grandfather, grandfather and father had lived and died, and which Warren H. Waring sold to the city of Saratoga for a cemetery. His great grandfather and grandfather were participants in the war of 1776. Mr. Waring was married at Fort Miller, on the Hudson, to Miss Sarah E. Deyoe, whose parents lived in Rensselaer County. He and his wife were members of the First Baptist Church of Saratoga for twenty years, and since their residence in Kansas have united with the same denomination at Kennekuk. They have one son and one daughter living - Joseph and Lucy L.
CONRAD WEAVER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Germany, December 3, 1844. Emigrated to the United States with his parents when only ten years of age, who settled in Henry County, Ill., where he lived until 1865. He then enlisted in Company I, of the One Hundred and Fifty-First Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving one year in the army, and at the expiration of that time, settled at his home in Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1870, locating on the place where he now lives, but subsequently removed to Lancaster Township, where he lived until the spring of 1879, and then returned to the former place. He owns 225 acres of land, of which 160 are under cultivation, and the remainder used for pasture. Mr. Weaver is a member of the Army of the Cumberland. His wife was Miss Sarah Hershman, daughter of Philip Hershman, of Muscotah, to whom he was married in Illinois in 1870.
GEORGE W. WHITE, attorney at law, land and insurance agent, notary public, represents the Home of New York, Aetna of Hartford, Conn., Phoenix of Hartford, Conn., Phoenix of Brooklyn, N. Y., Sun of London, England, American Central, St. Louis, Mo. Mr. White was born in Richmond, Chittenden Co., Vt., January 22, 1816; moved with his parents to Waterbury, Vt., at the age of two years; received his school education in the common school of the town; December, 1835, embarked as a soldier to the then Territory of Florida, to put down the Seminoles; remained there two years and four months, and on the tenth day of May, 1838, left Florida for the Cherokee Nation, North Carolina, under the command of Gen. Winfield Scott. In August, 1838, went with the regiment to Charleston, S. C., thence to New York, thence to Plattsburg, N. Y., thence to Troy, Vt., where, on the fourth day of December, 1838, was honorably discharged from the service of the United States. Immediately returned home to Waterbury; went to Waitsfield, Vt., in 1839; commenced the study of law with B. F. Adams; was admitted to the Bar in 1841; in 1842, May 5, was married to Miss Lois L. Foster, of Jericho, Vt. In 1847, moved to Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming for a time. Moved to Waushara County, in 1853. Was admitted to the Bar and followed his profession till 1873, when he moved to Kansas. His wife died in Atchison, Kan., September 10, 1873, leaving two children, Julius R. and Ellen M. March, 1874, moved to Muscotah, Kan., and in December, 1874, was admitted to the bar and established his present business. Mr. W. is Police Judge of the city of Muscotah, Kan.
ISAAC B. WILCOX, farmer, was born in Delavan County, N. Y., Town of Harpersfield, April 11, 1834. He is the son of Alonzo B. and Hannah Wilcox, the former of English descent and the latter, whose maiden name was Swift, of Holland Dutch. They were engaged in farming in that State, and Isaac B. spent some of his time on the farm with them, and the rest was devoted to acquiring an education. He graduated from the State Normal School at Albany in 1854, and later took a course to fit himself for civil engineering. He then taught school until 1856, when he came West to Minnesota, where he followed surveying until 1860. At that time he removed to Missouri and was Chief Engineer in the survey of the Parkville and Grand River, R. R. Removed to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1863, and for some time was employed in the survey of the Kansas Pacific R. R., from that place to Lawrence under the supervision of John C. Fremont and Samuel Hallett. After this he took charge of twenty-eight miles of the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific R. R., and later took contracts from the Government for the survey of lands in the western portion of the State of Kansas. Since 1867 he has made his home at Muscotah, and in the meantime has made large investments in real estate. He now owns land in Grasshopper and Kapioma Townships, all of which is under improvement. Mr. Wilcox's wife was formerly Miss Nannie J. Mooney, of West Virginia, whom he married at Plattsburgh, Mo., in 1865. He is a member of Muscotah Lodge, No. 164, of the A., F. & A. M.
ISAAC H. WILLARD, blacksmith, was born in Worcester County, Mass., October 18, 1850. Came with his parents to Kansas in 1865, living in Nemaha County on a farm. The subject of this sketch learned the blacksmith trade and afterwards worked at it in various places until 1877, when he removed to Muscotah and opened a shop for himself, and has met with decided success. He is a thorough mechanic and one who certainly understands his business. Mr. W. was married at Muscotah to Miss Bridget Mathews, of that place.