|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GRASSHOPPER TWP. (GOODING - OSBORN)
RUFUS H. GOODING, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Kennekuk, was born in Fleming County, Ky., February 26, 1824, son of Samuel and Margaret Gooding; his father's people were English, his mother, whose family name was Hinton, was of Scotch origin. He lived at home with his parents until October 15, 1846, when he was married to Miss Margaret McCoy, born in Kentucky, March 16, 1826. During the fall of 1849 they started West for California, but on arriving at Buchanan County, Mo., met a friend who persuaded them to stop at that point. Mr. Gooding accordingly purchased a farm on which he lived until the spring of 1854, when he removed to Kansas and pre-empted a claim of 160 acres, being the farm where he now lives. He was the second settler in Grasshopper Township, and remained on his claim through all the border troubles before and during the Rebellion. His life was often threatened, but nothing of a serious nature ever happened to him. Mr. Gooding and wife were original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South society, and the first sermon was preached at their residence by the Rev. F. M. Williams, services being afterwards conducted at their house for one year. They are the parents of six daughters and one son, viz. - Charlotte, now Mrs. Henry Claunch, of Kennekuk; Nancy H., married to J. W. Perry, of Palmyra, Neb.; Margaret A., who is Mrs. George Billingsley; Sarah J., now Mrs. A. F. Canter, of Jordan Valley, Oregon; Mary J., Elizabeth M. and Frankie D.
JOHN J. HALLIGAN, farmer and stockraiser, Section 28, P. O. Effingham, was born in Mercer County, Ky., May 3, 1827. Went to school and worked on a farm until he was eighteen years old, then learned the carpenter's trade, which he completed in the city of Lexington, and in 1851 removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he continued his trade up to 1859. During the fall of this year he purchased the farm upon which he now lives, in Atchison County, where he owns 320 acres, of which 100 are under cultivation, and the balance for pasture. Has also three acres of orchard, including choice apple and peach trees. Mr. Halligan was a soldier in the Rebellion, enlisting with the Third Kansas Volunteer Infantry in 1862, but had previously been Third Lieutenant in the State Militia. After serving eight months he was discharged, ill health unfitting him for further service. He was married to his first wife, Miss Melissa D. Rose, of Buchanan County, Mo., in 1853, who died the year following. He married his present wife in the same place in 1857, her maiden name was Mary M. Morris, by whom he has five children - Otto M., Jacova F., John M., Robert J. and Maggie E. Mr. Halligan and wife are original members of East Grasshopper Baptist Church. The former is a charter member of Huron Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M. He has always taken an active part in the advancement of all public enterprises of his town and county, and has served several terms as Justice of the Peace.
WILLIAM M. HAM, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Muscotah, is a native of Fleming County, Ky., born April 13, 1833. His parents were George G., and Ruth F. Ham, the former of Irish, the latter of Dutch descent, her maiden name was Riggs. Mr. Ham was reared on a farm and acquired a district school education. During the spring of 1861, he came to Atchison County, Kas., and settled in Grasshopper Township, where he still resides. Is proprietor of 396 acres of land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation, with eight acres planted in choice fruit trees, and an osage-orange hedge surrounding his farm four and a half miles in length. In 1863 Mr. Ham was elected Trustee of that township, and the same year organized the first company of State Militia, of which he was Captain all through the famous Price raid during the Rebellion. He then resumed farming, and in 1869 was elected Representative of the State Legislature from the Tenth District. This included Grasshopper and Lancaster townships then, but has since been re-districted. Mr. Ham's first wife was Miss Rebecca J. Humphries, to whom he was married in Kentucky in 1855. She died May 10, 1879, leaving nine children - Sallie S., Louisa A., Mary E., Lillie F., Etha A., William H., Isabell H., Stella M. and Halla M. His present wife was Margaret Black, of Hancock County, Ill., whom he married June 28, 1880. Both are active in the Methodist Episcopal Church, while Mr. Ham is President of the County Sunday-school Convention.
FERDINAND HAPWOOD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Kennekuk, was born July 9, 1819, in Shelby County, Ky., son of Moses and Susan Hapwood, nee Sharpe, his father of Irish, his mother of English lineage. The subject of this sketch worked on a farm and attended the district schools, until seventeen years of age. Then learned the carpenter's trade, completing his apprenticeship in Louisville, Ky. In 1839, he moved with his parents to Indianapolis, Ind., but after three years' residence there, returned to Kentucky, where he was extensively engaged in contracting and building, until 1850. Mr. Hapwood went to Indianapolis again, in that year, and in 1857 was married to Miss Julia McNony, at Greencastle, Ind., who was a native of Illinois. Immediately afterward, the subject of this sketch removed to Leavenworth, Kan., and worked at his trade a part of the time, being in Government employ in the erection of the fort at that city. In 1859, purchased the place upon which he now lives, but in the spring following went to Colorado, working in the mines for three years. Then went back to Indiana, where he stayed till the close of the Rebellion. Then returned with his family to his land in Kansas, where he has since lived, and owns 240 acres, all highly improved. Mr. Hapwood's family consists of six sons - Charles C., Moses E., Andrew J., William C., Ferdinand, and Edgar F.
WILLIAM H. HARDIN, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Huron, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Fayette County, February 18, 1825. When eight years of age, his place of abode was changed to Butler County, Ohio. Here he lived until 1853, when he removed to Buchanan County, Mo., and two years later came to Kansas. His first settlement here was on South Wolf River in Brown County, where he took up a claim, on which he lived up to 1858. Then sold out and went to Colorado, and engaged in mining, but returned to Kansas the same year, and located permanently in Atchison County. Mr. Harden took part in the late war, enlisting in 1862 with Company D, of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. After serving two years and four months, he was discharged on account of poor health contracted while in the service of his country. Then returned to his home in Kansas, where he now has a fine farm of 350 acres, and is also extensively engaged in stock-raising. Mr. Harden's wife is a daughter of Eli Watson, who was one of the pioneers of Kansas. They were married February 7, 1860, in Atchison County, her name Mary C. Both are original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They are the parents of four sons and a daughter.
JAMES M. HAZLETT, livery and sale stable, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1830, He lived at Mansfield, same State, for a number of years, working at various occupations, and in April, 1870, came to Kansas; located at Muscotah, and embarked in his present business, which he has carried on with decided success, his stock embracing about eighteen head of horses. Mr. Hazlett has served as School Treasurer of Muscotah District for eight years. He married Miss Phoebe J. Egle, of DeKalb County, Ind., in 1868.
JOSEPH C. HEATH, Postmaster and dealer in agricultural implements and hardware, was born in Potter County, Pa., June 19, 1849. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B, of the One Hundred and Fifty-Third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war; came with his parents to Kansas in 1867, and settled in Grasshopper Township. In 1873, they removed to the village of Muscotah, where the subject of this sketch has since run a hardware store. In 1879, Mr. B. became a member of the firm, continuing until 1881, when they dissolved, and Mr. Heath purchased his interest. In 1876, he was appointed Postmaster of that village, which position he filled until 1879, when he resigned; but in 1881 was re-appointed, and has since officiated in that capacity. Mr. H. has served as Town Treasurer from 1876 to 1882. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Muscotah Lodge, No. 116, and has served as Master of the same for five years. His wife was Miss Florence Davis, of Iowa, whom he married in 1874.
HIRAM S. HEATH, father of the above, physician and surgeon, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., February 8, 1816. He graduated from the Geneva Medical College in 1847. He has been in constant practice since twenty-one years of age; commenced to practice medicine in Coudersport, Pa., in 1847; removed to Roanoke, Ind., in 1854, and practiced medicine there until 1867, and at the expiration of that time came to Muscotah. He purchased a section of land, and is now the oldest resident physician in Grasshopper Township. Dr. Heath and his wife are original members of the Congregational Church, and have always been workers in the temperance cause. Mrs. H. was formerly Harriet B. Smith, born in Herkimer County, N. Y. They were married in that State in 1842. Mr. H. is connected with the Masonic Society, and in the spring of 1882, was elected Justice of the Peace at Muscotah.
PHILLIP G. HERSHMAN, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Muscotah, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Fayette County, August 30, 1807. His father died while Phillip was a boy, leaving a widow and eight children in limited circumstances. According to the custom of the times in those early days, Phillip G. was put out with one of the neighbors to be reared, and when eighteen years of age began to learn the wheelwright trade, which he followed a number of years, removing, in the meantime, to Wayne County, Ohio. Here he was married, in 1845, to Miss Sarah Henney, and seven years later went to Ingham County, Mich., where he made farming his occupation. From there went to Henry County, Ill., and this was his home until his removal to Kansas, in 1869. After purchasing 160 acres of land three miles east of Muscotah, he moved on the place where he now lives, moving his family out during the following spring, and has now a fine farm and a comfortable home, one and one-half miles east of Muscotah. Mr. Hershman's family is composed of seven children living - John H., David, Cristina, Sarah A., Amanda, Emma, and Mary E. They lost one son, Peter, who died September 13, 1852, at the age of one year and eleven months. Some of the family are members of the Wesleyan Church Society of Muscotah.
CAPT. THOMAS C. HONNELL, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Huron, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, July 6, 1840. He is the seventh son of William and Ellen Honnell, nee Wilson, the former of German descent, the latter of English extraction, who were among the pioneers of Shelby County, and were also there engaged extensively in farming. The subject of this sketch remained at home, working on a farm up to the age of thirteen years, when his father died, after which he received an academical education, and at the age of seventeen years he was proficient to take charge of a school. He followed teaching successfully till 1861, when he enlisted in the war of the Rebellion with the Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C, in the first three- months' call. After serving his time in that he returned home. In 1862 he re-enlisted in the Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C; in 1864, this regiment having been consolidated with the Fiftieth Ohio, he previously having been promoted to the position of Captain of Company C, and after the Battle of Atlanta, he was one of the staff of General Cooper till the close of the war. He then returned home and resumed his former occupation of teaching and farming. In 1865 he was married to Miss Sarah Tuley, daughter of C. B. Tuley, now of Lancaster Township, Atchison Co., Kansas. In the spring of 1870 he removed to Atchison County, Kansas, and located on the farm where he now lives, which contains 480 acres, and is one of the best improved farms in the township. He is also extensively engaged in stock raising. He and wife are prominently connected with the Presbyterian Church at Kennekuk. Mr. H. is also a member of the Masonic Order, Huron Lodge, No. 72.
AMOS A. HOWELL, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Huron, came to Kansas in the winter of 1856, and in the spring of the year following pre-empted the claim upon which he now lives. This was situated on the old military road from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Kearney, and in early times Mr. Howell had considerable trade with the Indians and freighters who traveled on this road, which he found to be very profitable, and continued it a number of years, in addition to improving his land. From 1860 to 1866 he was himself extensively engaged at freighting across the plains to Colorado, running from twelve to twenty teams, as the business demanded. Mr. Howell is considered by all to be one of the most successful farmers in Grasshopper Township, and owns 480 acres of land, most of which is under a high state of cultivation, the remainder in pasture for stock. He has always taken an active part in the various public enterprises of his county, always contributing liberally to the support of charitable and religious institutions. During the Rebellion he was a Lieutenant in the State Militia for the suppression of the famous Price Raid. He was born December 26, 1824, in Fayette County, Penn. His parents were Seth and Elizabeth Howell, the former of Welsh, the latter of German descent, her maiden name Turnbaugh. His grandfather on his father's side was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and afterwards settled at Trenton, N. J., and ran the Howell Ferry across the Delaware river, which to-day bears that name. Mr. Howell was married in Pennsylvania in 1844, to Miss Easter A. McBerney. They are the parents of four children - Mary A., now Mrs. Frank Lewis, of Jackson County, this State; Nathaniel E., Charles A. and Sabina R., who is married to Joshua Page, of Atchison County.
DAVID KESSLER, blacksmith and farmer, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., April 22, 1834. His parents were Jacob and Catherine Kessler, nee Hersh. His father was a blacksmith, and David learned his trade with him. He died in 1853 with the cholera, at the time of the great epidemic in Columbia, Pa. The following year Mr. Kessler removed to Buchanan County, Mo., and in the fall of 1856 came to Atchison County, Kansas, and took up a homestead in Kapioma Township; here he lived up to 1860, and then moved to Mount Pleasant Township and opened a blacksmith shop, which he ran there until 1867, at that time removing to Kennekuk. Opened a shop at this place, where he operated successfully until 1875, when he moved onto his farm, which is situated one mile south of the village. During the spring of 1880 he returned to the village and again started at his trade, which he still plies. Mr. Kessler was married in Buchanan County, Mo., in 1855, to Miss Nancy J. Wylie, formerly from Indiana. She is a member of the Baptist Church. They have four boys and three girls.
THOMAS LITTLE, farmer, Muscotah, was born in Scotland, Dumfrieshire, May 14, 1824; emigrated to Canada in 1841, and lived near the city of Guelph, Ontario, where he learned the carpenter's trade. This he followed in Canada until 1871, when he came to Kansas and continued his former employment at Muscotah three years, and since that time has been engaged at farming. He was married in Canada in 1850, to Miss Margaret Turnbull, a native of Roxburgh, Scotland. The following are the names of their seven children; Ellen (now Mrs. John Feisted, of Leavenworth), James, Thomas, Andrew, Euphemia, William and John.
LEVI W. LOCKWOOD, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Muscotah, was born on Green Mountain, Vt., January 8, 1822. He is the son of Henry and Polly Lockwood - his mother's maiden name, Hewly. When fourteen years of age, his parents moved to Cattaraugus County, N. Y., and two years later he was apprenticed in the foundry at Jamestown, same State. Here he remained six years, then went to Pennsylvania, where he worked at his trade, and three years later, in company with his brother James, came west to Fulton County, Ill., for the purpose of starting a foundry. He, however, changed his mind, and started farming instead. In 1849, he was married to Miss Sophia Cozad, and at the same time removed to Warren County, purchased a farm and, by judicious management, accumulated considerable of this world's goods. Thinking, however, that all men were as honest as himself, he trusted them in such matters as going security, and the like, and found out too late that he had lost a goof deal of his money. He then removed to DeKalb County, Mo., but was obliged to leave there in 1857, as people suspected he had something to do in helping slaves to escape across the river, and had threatened to hang him. Mr. Lockwood then came to Atchison, and in the spring of the year following moved to the place where he now lives and owns 215 acres of fine farm land, all of which he has made since his removal here. Himself and wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for fourteen years. They have five children living, Jane, Sarah, Samuel, Minnie and William.
W. M. McCLAIN, retired merchant and farmer, P. O. Muscotah, was born February 13, 1822, in Port Patrick, Scotland; learned the trade of mason, which he followed in his native land until May 1, 1851, when he emigrated to the United States, and, on his arrival here, had but one shilling in his pocket, when he went to Albany, N. Y., where he was engaged in contracting and building; but this did not prove very successful, and the same year he moved to Illinois and engaged in railroad constructing, on the Illinois Central Railroad. In 1868, Mr. McLain came to Muscotah, Kan., and for a number of years worked at his trade here. He now owns 320 acres of good farm land, and is one of the largest property owners in the town of Muscotah, having always taken an active part in the building up of the town and the improvement of the same. His wife was Miss Rosanna Saul, to whom he was married in Scotland, January 8, 1846.
D. W. McCUAIG, miller, Muscotah, one who became identified with Kansas at an early day, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Canada, and was born in Ontario, November 27, 1834; removed to Michigan when comparatively young, where he followed various pursuits until 1856, when he came to Kansas, locating first at Leavenworth for several years. He was engaged in the Santa Fe trade and overland freighting from Nebraska City and other points. Mr. McC. is thoroughly conversant with the Western country, and had many stirring exploits with the Indians in those early days when it may be said a man traveled with his life in his hand. There are but few of the early settlers that were interested in Western enterprise beyond the Missouri River, that are more favorably known than Mr. McC. In 1866, he located in Atchison, and was interested in the Missouri River transfer for four and one-half years. In 1873, engaged in the milling business at Muscotah. He owns a first-class mill and does merchant milling aside from custom work. He is one of the most substantial citizens of Muscotah. In 1868, he was married to Miss Ada P. Howe. By this union they have three children, Jennie, Claude and Birdie. Mr. McC. is a Master Mason, a member of the K. of P. and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DANIEL W. MOONEY, stock-dealer, is a native of West Virginia, born April 10, 1842, in Marshall County. Here he was employed at farming and stock- raising, with his parents, Daniel and Jane C. Mooney, until 1855, at which time they moved to Ohio and engaged at merchandising, and from there went to Clinton County, Mo., in 1858. Three years later, enlisted with the Federal army in the Forty-fourth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company F, serving in the same until 1863. He then united with the regular Confederate army, and in this took a part till the close of the Rebellion, then returned home and farmed there for himself up to the time of his removal to Kansas, which was in the fall of 1875. Located at Muscotah and embarked in the grain business, where he has since lived, with the exception of two years which he spent in Leadville, Col., in the grain trade. Mr. Mooney is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He married in September, 1881, at Atchison, Miss Alice T. Sharpe. Mr. Mooney's stock-shipping amounts to about 150 car loads per annum.
BERNARD C. MORITZ, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Huron, was born in State of Mechlenburg, Germany, in 1833. Learned the trade of cabinetmaker, which he followed in his native country till 1850; then emigrated to the United States, and lived in Iowa, near the city of Guttenburg. Afterwards removed to Dubuque, where he worked at the carpenter's trade. From this time till 1861 his time was spent on the Mississippi River as ship carpenter, and in Galveston, Texas. He then came to Kansas and purchased the farm where he now lives, which contains 160 acres. Mr. Moritz is a member of the Turner Society of Atchison, and is one of the School Board of District No. 62. He was married at Leavenworth, this State, in 1863, to Miss Bertha Gerbitz, who was born in Holstein, Germany. They have five children living - Minnie, Eliza, Sophie, Emma and Bertha.
CHARLES C. MUNGER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Erie County, N. Y., February 21, 1834. His parents were Samuel and Cornelia, who were of old New England stock, his mother's family name, Clark. His father was engaged extensively in farming and Charles went to school and worked on the farm with him until grown. He then traveled around through various Western States, and finally settled down in Kansas during the fall of 1868. The spring following saw him established on his present place, which then consisted of 160 acres of raw prairie, but with judicious management and industry it has now become a fine thriving farm. Mr. Munger was married in July, 1869, at Effingham, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Walters, daughter of Sidney Walters, who was an early settler of Atchison County.
ELIHU H. OSBORN, wagon repair shop and carpenter, came to Kansas in March, 1859, locating in Easton, Leavenworth Co., where he was employed at contracting and building. This he continued six years, then removed to Kennekuk in March, 1865, and started a wagon shop, this village being on the old military road from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Kearney. Here he has since made his home, and in 1869 was elected Justice of the Peace of Grasshopper Township, which office he has ever since held, with the exception of the years 1880 and '81. Mr. Osborn has also served as Notary Public for nine years, and has been an efficient member of the School Board of his District. The subject of this sketch was born in Marshall County, Ill., April 1, 1837. Removed with his parents, Samuel and Martha Osborn, to Linn County, Iowa, where he went to school and worked on the farm with his father up to 1855. He then learned his trade, and May 30, 1859, was married to Miss Hannah Johnson, formerly of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Their family consists of three children - John S., Emma J. and Zella R.