|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GRASSHOPPER TWP. (ADAMS - FULLER)
WILLIAM ADAMS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Somersetshire, Eng., October 6, 1819, son of George and Rachel Adams nee Thayer. He worked at farming in his native country until 1842, when he emigrated to the United States and settled in Onondaga County, N. Y. Here he learned the trade of carriage maker, and in 1852 went to California, via the Isthmus, to seek his fortune with the rest of the gold miners. Two years later, however, he returned to New York, where he made his home until his emigration to Kansas, which was in the spring of 1857. In company with what was known as the Cayuga Colony, he took up a claim of 160 acres, but has since added to it until he owns in all 800 acres, all under cultivation. He usually keeps on hand about 100 head of graded cattle, 20 horses, and hogs and other small stock in abundance, and has been a very successful stock raiser. Mr. A. was married in New York State, July 4, 1848, to Miss Mary A. Ellsbury, who was formerly from the same shire in England as himself. They have one daughter, Julia E., and a son, Samuel.
JAMES D. ARMSTRONG, Section 29, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Effingham, came to Kansas in June, 1857, and settled at Atchison where he soon afterwards engaged in driving cattle and breaking prairie. After working at that for a short time he accepted a position at clerking. Followed that and going to school up to 1864, then he crossed the plains to Colorado, where he remained but a short time, when he returned to Waterville, Kans., and started a store. Afterwards went to Texas, from 1876 to 1878, and was there engaged in lumber business. After this he removed to the place where he now lives. He is a native of Andrew County, Mo., born September 12, 1840, son of Joshua D. and Elizabeth Armstrong, nee Cogdill; the former of Irish descent, the latter of English extraction. He is at present School Treasurer of School District No. 17, his township, and an active member of the Masonic Order. Was married in the City of Atchison in 1872 to Miss Laura McCubbin, whose parents were among the early settlers of that city.
HON. WILLIAM P. BADGER, was born December 17, 1817, at Sanbornton Square, Belknap County, N. H. The genealogy of the Badger family is traced to the time of William the Conqueror, the original name being Bagehoot, a French title from Normandy. Gov. Badger of New Hampshire, was a cousin of John E. Badger, father of William P. Badger, and was descended from Sergeant John Badger, who came to America in the Mayflower and settled at Newburyport, Mass., and from whom are descended about all the Badgers in the United States. The family coat of arms now in the possession of the subject of this sketch bears the following inscription "The family of Badgers originally descended from Lancelot Baghoot, who is mentioned by Sir John Servin's visitations of the County of Leicester to have been settled at the Hoo, in that county, in the year 1347. His descendant, Richard Badger, served under the Emperor of Germany against the Turks, in the reign of Henry VIII, by whom he was knighted, and had the three golden eagles added to his arms in memory of his gallantry in the service of the Emperor." Several members of this family appear to have settled in America about the time of Cromwell's usurpation. John E. Badger, the father of William, was born in New Market, N. H., and followed mercantile pursuits. His mother, Irene Carter, was born in Portsmouth, N. H.; both parents died in Atchison, Kans. William attended school, and at the age of twelve years became an apprentice to a hatter at Montpelier, Vt. While working at his trade he studied the science of medicine, but on account of ill health did not follow the profession as a regular pursuit. In 1857 he moved to Kansas for the recovery of his health, and founded the town of Muscotah, following the business of a farmer for several years. In 1857-8 was a member in the Kansas Legislature, taking a part as a Free-state Democrat. At the close of the session he was appointed agent for the Kickapoo Indians, a position he held until June, 1861. In 1862 he entered the army as Adjutant of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry and served in that capacity until 1864, participating in the battles of Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and others. He is an Odd Fellow, belongs to the Masonic order, and in the latter has advanced to the Knight Templar degree. He has done considerable to promote the railroad and other improvements. He is also a scientist and deeply interested in scientific pursuits. He has been a Republican since his entry in the army, and has proved a useful member of the party. He was married on December 2, 1841, to Miss Chloe E. Kellogg, daughter of Rev. Sherman Kellogg, of Montpelier, Vt., and sister to Gov. William Pitt Kellogg, of Louisiana. They have had four children, only one of whom is living, Miss Clara R.
HARLAN A. BELDEN, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Muscotah, was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., May 23, 1838. His parents were Edson and Mary Jane Belden, who removed to Bureau County, Ill., while he was a small child, and were among the early settlers of that county. Here the subject of this sketch obtained a common school education, and worked on the farm with his father. In 1864 he was married to Edith J., daughter of Edward and Helen Peabody, who were originally of the first family of the county. During the year 1868 Mr. Belden came to Kansas and purchased 160 acres of the old Kickapoo reservation, and was one of the first to commence improving these lands. In the fall he brought his family, and also three others, out from Bureau County, Ill., and he has been the means of establishing the Illinois settlement which now numbers some thirty families or more. He now owns 220 acres of land, all under a high state of cultivation. The old Kickapoo Indian trail that had been traveled for years by them before the advent of any white settlers in these parts, used to run through what is now Mr. Belden's door yard, and for some time after his settlement there was used as such by them, and faint traces of it can yet be discovered. Mr. Belden and wife are originally of the New Malden Congregation Church society.
GEORGE T. BEVEN, druggist and stationer, Muscotah. One of Atchison County's pioneers is Mr. Beven, who for a number of years has been one of its prominent agriculturists. His son, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Atchison County, and was born May 17, 1862. Was here educated and reared. For four years he pursued the vocation of clerking in Muscotah, and in 1881 embarked in trade. He is a young man possessed of sterling business qualifications, and has been very successful in trade.
HENRY BEVEN, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Muscotah, came to Kansas in April, 1859, locating at Leavenworth City, where he opened a brick-yard. This he operated one year, then removed to Atchison and ran a brick-yard two years, and at the expiration of that time started farming. He now owns a fine farm of 340 acres, and has it all under cultivation and well improved. He was born in Kent, England, town of Gravesend, May 25, 1825; son of John and Maria Beven, the latter now a resident of Leavenworth, this State. Mr. Beven was a brick-maker in his native country, and in 1855 emigrated to the United States, living in both Ohio and Illinois previous to his location in Kansas. He was married in England in 1849, to Miss Jane M. Gernett. Both are original members of the First Baptist Church at Kennekuk. Their family contains eight children - Henry, Emma M., George, Alfred, Morris, E. J. L., William and Celia.
HON. LEWIS M. BRIGGS, was born at Coldwater, Barry County, Mich., December 6, 1841. At the age of one year his parents moved to Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo County, Mich. He attended school at Albion College, Michigan. At the age of twenty-one he went to Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, in the employe of the General Government as a wagon-master, with Indian supplies, from there to Montana Territory, and spent four years, with ups and downs, as a miner. Returned to Michigan after five years. Married Emma, daughter of Zeno Gould. Moved to Muscotah, Atchison County, Kansas, in 1869, and settled in Muscotah and engaged in mercantile business, as Briggs & Watson, and L. M. Briggs. Followed the same for twelve years. He was elected County Commissioner in 1878, for two years; served as Chairman. He was elected to the Legislature for the session of 1878-79 to represent the Sixth District. In 1879, was elected as Senator for four years in the Second District. In politics he is a Republican.
F. J. BROWN, real estate, was born in Kalamazoo County, Mich., April 19, 1842. He was educated at the State Agricultural College, and at Ann Arbor University. After leaving school, engaged in farming until 1865, in which year he moved to Kansas, located in Atchison, and engaged in grocery business. In 1867, he removed to Muscotah and started a mercantile business, putting up the first building and having the first stock in town. Sold out in the following August. In 1872, became connected with the land department of the Central Branch Railroad, as regular agent, a position he retained until he sold out. Since that time he devotes his attention to his private real estate interests. Mr. Brown was married in Muscotah, July, 1870, to Miss Sarah Kridner, of Muscotah. They have two children, Harvey and Samuel. Mr. B. is a member of Muscotah Lodge, No. 116, A., F. & A. M. He is also one of the City Councilmen.
HARVEY L. BROWN, farmer and gardener, Section 19, Township 5, Atchison County, Muscotah P. O.; was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., October 5, 1833. He is the son of John and Mary Brown nee Robinson. His father of German descent and his mother of old New England extraction. Mr. Harvey L. Brown in early life learned the cooper's trade, and also received a common school education. When he had reached the age of twenty years he went with his father to Marshall County, Ill., where he worked at the cooper's trade up to 1854, when his health failed him and he was obliged to abandon his trade. He returned to New York and spent three years in visiting some of the most popular Water Cures in that State, and succeeded in recovering his health at Danville Water Cure, Livingston County, N. Y., August 26th, he was married to Mrs. Majesta Hubbs. He then engaged in various enterprises and occupations until 1868, when he removed to Kansas and located on the place where he now lives, which contains eighty acres of well improved farm land, eight acres of which are devoted to gardening and small fruit raising. They had one son - Edward W. Brown. His first wife died March 16, 1874; was married again to his present wife, Anna R. Brown, nee Anna R. West, January 21, 1876, who is a native of Sweden, Europe. Mr. Brown is a member of the Congregational Church at Muscotah. Mr. Brown started on his little farm with very limited means, and has passed through all the grasshopper plaques and droughts of Kansas of the last fourteen years. But with careful saving and industry of himself and his family they have a good comfortable home and other necessaries of life to make them seem happy in their old age.
WILLIAM G. BUCKLES, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Muscotah, was born August 10, 1847, in Russell County, Va. He served nearly one year in the Rebellion as a soldier of the Confederate army, and was first in State Militia, and afterwards transferred to regular service in the Thirty-fourth Volunteer Cavalry. At the close of the war he returned to his home in Virginia, and August 3, 1869, was married to Miss Malinda J. Routh. In the spring of the year following, Mr. Buckles emigrated to Kansas, settling in Grasshopper Township, Atchison County, and commenced farming. In 1874 he removed to the farm which he now owns, and two years later purchased it. His family contains two children - Becca Lou and Asa A.
WASHINGTON CAMPBELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, P. O. Muscotah, was born July 24, 1831, in Butler County, Pa. In 1858, he made his first journey to Kansas, and for two years was employed as a carpenter by the Government on the fort at Leavenworth. In 1860, he crossed the plains to Pike's Peak, where he engaged in mining for about six months, and at the expiration of that time, returned to his former home in Pennsylvania. Here he was employed in the oil regions, and had an interest in several oil wells. This he continued until the spring of 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating in Grasshopper Township, Atchison County, where he now owns 160 acres of fine, improved land. Himself and wife are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Muscotah, of which they are members. They were married May 9, 1865, in Pennsylvania. Her maiden name was Miss Annie E. Graham.
JOSEPH CARPENTER, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Whiting, Jackson County, was born Nov. 25, 1820, in Livingston County, N. Y. Son of William and Betsey Carpenter, nee Banister, who were of old New England stock. The subject of this sketch followed various occupations until March, 1843, when he was married to Miss Urzelia M. Belden, and in the October following, removed to Kenosha County, Wis., and opened a farm. Here he was living at the time of the Rebellion; and in the fall of 1862, Mr. Carpenter enlisted with Company I, of the Thirty-fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, but after serving seven months, was discharged on account of ill health contracted while in Government service. In 1864, he recovered his health, and re-enlisted with the First Light Artillery, at Chicago, and in this served till the close of the war. Then returned to his home in Wisconsin, and in 1868 removed to Kansas and purchased 148 acres of land, which was a portion of the old Kickapoo Reservation. He now has it all under cultivation, and being excellent land for agricultural pursuits, makes a fine farm. Mr. Carpenter and wife are members of the Mount Pleasant Freewill Baptist Church, of Brown County. They have three sons - Millard F., George W., and Lincoln F.
THOMAS CLARK, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Muscotah, was born April 4, 1826, in Lincolnshire, England. He was raised to the occupation of a farmer, and in August, 1849, he emigrated to the United States. He first stationed himself in Erie County, N. Y., but in 1859 removed to Lake County, Ill., where he made his home until 1876. He then came to Kansas, and purchased a farm in Atchison County, where he still resides, and owns 257 acres of fine, improved farm land. He is also proprietor of ten town lots in the village of Muscotah. His wife was formerly Mary J. Davis of this county, whom he married at Atchison, in 1879.
RICHARD B. CLEAVELAND, farmer and stock raiser, Section 2, P. O. Muscotah, was born December 29, 1830, in Oswego County, N. Y. While but a lad his parents removed to Cook County, Ill., where he farmed until 1861. He then came to Jackson County, Kan., and in the spring following brought out his family. In 1863, he enlisted in Falls City, Neb., in the Second Volunteer Cavalry, and served nine months on the frontier, fighting the Indians. Then returned to his home in Jackson County, but took a part in the Price raid in Kansas, during the year 1864. Mr. Cleaveland purchased a quarter section of land where he now lives, but has since added to it, until he now has 240 acres, all under a high state of cultivation, and excellent improvements on it. Mr. Cleaveland was married at Lockport, Ill., in 1856, to Miss Rodda A. Pervin, of Canada West. They are both united with the Congregational Church of Muscotah, while Mr. Cleaveland is an original member of the same.
BARNABAS COHOON, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Effingham, was born in Surry County, N. C., August 25, 1816. Here he was also married in 1838, to Miss Lucy Reece, and followed the occupation of a farmer in that county until 1844. He then removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he made his home until 1855, at which time he came to Atchison County, Kan., and pre-empted 160 acres of land, and this, with enough since added to it to make 296 acres, composes his present farm. In 1856, he took his family back to their former home in Missouri, on account of the border troubles, but it was really unnecessary, and they returned in a short time. They have a family of eight children - William R., Jacob A. Susanna, Elizabeth J., Nancy C., Mary C., Sarah F., and Thomas A. Mr. Cohoon and wife are of the Methodist persuasion.
WILLIAM R. COHOON, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Effingham, was born in Ray County, N. C., in 1846, son of Barnabas and Lucy Cohoon, who came to Kansas in the spring of 1855, and were among the very first settlers in Atchison County. They pre-empted the land on which William now lives, and he has remained in this county ever since, with the exception of three years spent in the Rebellion. He enlisted with Company D, of the Second Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, in the fall of '61. Was wounded while out scouting, and taken prisoner, but after remaining in Rebel hands a short time, was turned loose. Mr. Cohoon was married, in 1868, to Mary Jane, daughter of Levi and Sophia Lockwood, who settled in Atchison County, in 1859. They are the parents of four children - Levi B., Sarah A., Sophia L. and James H. Mr. Cohoon and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
AUGUSTUS CRANE, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Huron. Was born in Sweden near city of Guttenburg, June 22, 1840. His father died when he was but a small boy, his mother emigrated to America in 1848 and settled in Chautauqua County, N. Y. She and one of his brothers and two sisters died with the cholera in 1853. He was then left to his own resources and a stranger in foreign lands. He set to work at various occupations. In 1861, at the breaking out of the Rebellion, he enlisted in Seventy-Second New York Volunteer Infantry, Company B. In 1864 he veteraned in same regiment and served till the close of war and was in all the principal engagements of his regiment. After the war he returned to New York where he remained till he came to Kansas and settled on the place where he now lives, which contains 160 acres of well improved farm. He was married in Atchison County, Kan., to Miss Mary Murter, whose parents settled in Nemaha County, Kan., in 1855, formerly Platte County, Mo. They are the parents of six children, viz: Morgan L., Julia, Charle O., Flarnie M., Lucinda R., and Frank S.
HENRY B. DANA, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Muscotah. Was born in Windsor County, Vt., November 9, 1821. He is the son of Daniel and Percis Dana nee Brown. Henry B. was reared on a farm and received such education as the district schools of the early day afforded. Here he married, March 24, 1845, and from that time until 1852 followed farming in his native State. he then came West to Waukesha County, Wis., where he purchased a farm and made his home. Here his wife died in 1868 and during the year following he was married to his present wife a Mrs. Mary A. Alexander, of Waukesha, Wis. During the fall of 1870, Mr. Dana came to Kansas and purchased 160 acres of wild prairie land which he has now all under cultivation with fine improvements. Both Mr. Dana and his wife are original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Muscotah. The former has been a member of the denomination for twenty-eight years while the latter has been connected with this church forty years. They have one son - Giles P.
OVERTON A. ELLISON, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Muscotah. Was born in Mercer County, W. Va., April 15, 1843. His parents were Larkin T. and Nancy Ellison, the former of Scotch origin, the latter, whose family name was Cummings, was of German descent. They removed from the State in which he was born and came to Missouri in 1853, living near St. Joseph until April, 1853. They then removed to Atchison County, Kan., where his father had previously taken a claim in the fall of 1854. After remaining a little more than one year they removed to Mount Pleasant Township. In 1865 the family all went to Oregon with the exception of the subject of this sketch; and in July, 1861, he removed to his present home where he owns 160 acres of farm land all improved. Mr. Ellison was with the State Militia at the time of the suppression of the famous Price raid during the Rebellion. His wife was Margaret A., daughter of E. B. and Nancy L. Simmons, who settled in Atchison County as early as 1854. Their family consists of five children, viz: Laura J., Nancy E., Amanda May, Martha J., and Leroy O.
ERP & FLOWER, merchants at Kennekuk. This firm was organized in May, 1882, and consists of James A. Erp and Frank Flower. The former came to this State in 1858 and commenced farming near the village of Kennekuk. This he continued up to 1870, when, being afflicted with a cancer on his face he was no longer able to farm. He then engaged with Charles Flower, of the above village, as clerk in his general merchandise store. At the expiration of four years he returned to his farm on which he lived until the firm of Erp & Flower was organized as above. He was born in Pulaski County, Ky., October 15, 1835; he was reared on a farm and in 1854 removed to Missouri, and shortly after to Kansas. He is a member of Muscotah Lodge, No. 116, A., F. & A. M. His wife was Miss Martha Claunch, whom he married in his native State. Frank Flower, of the firm, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., January 17, 1858, and at the age of seven years, which was in 1864, removed to Kennekuk with his father and mother and has lived there ever since. His father, Charles flower, deceased, was born in North Adams, Mass., July 8, 1827. He was foreman in a cotton factory in Vermont for a time, where he married Fidelia E. Chase, and in 1864 came from Columbia County, N. Y. to Kansas, and commenced keeping a hotel called the Union House, which was the main station on the old military road. This he managed until the time of his death, which sad event occurred March 28, 1875.
R. D. FISHER, R. R. agent, and agent Pacific Express Company, Muscotah, was born in Shippensburg, Cumberland Co., Pa., November 16, 1835. He received his schooling in his native town. In 1854 he learned telegraphing and pursued this business in a commercial office, also helping his father in a hat and cap store. In 1862 he located in Piedmont, W. Va., as operator for the B. & O. R. R. Shortly afterward entered the employ of the P., Ft. W. & C. R. R. as operator, and was located at different points in Ohio and Pennsylvania. In 1871 he returned to the B. & O. R. R. and was stationed at Altamont. His last station was Salem, W. Va., from whence he came to Kansas in July, 1880, and was appointed to present position the same month. He was married in Westonport, Md., January, 1863, to Miss Belle L. Carroll, a native of Somerset County, Pa. She died in Salem, Ohio, leaving one child - Anne M. He was married to his present wife in Muscotah, December 26, 1881. She was Miss Arte Hooper, a daughter of William P. Hooper, Mayor of Plattsburg, Mo. Mr. F. is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F.
G. M. FULLER, farmer and stockraiser, P. O. Huron, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., December 22, 1822. He is the son of Amasa and Orilia W. Fuller. He received a good liberal education, taking an academic course at Fulton, Oswego Co., N. Y. In the spring of the year 1857 he came to Kansas with a company of emigrants from Auburn, N. Y., and pre-empted the 160 acres of land on which he still lives, which was then a wild and unbroken country, but is now a fine farm all under a high state of cultivation, as is also all of the county about him. In the spring of 1858 he was chosen a member of a Constitutional Convention which convened at Leavenworth. In the spring of 1864 he went to Fort Leavenworth, leaving the farm to work at carpentering for Government, and going from Fort Leavenworth in June, 1865, under contract to work for the Government at Fort Union, in New Mexico, remaining at Fort Union for nearly three years, then returning to his farm, where he has lived up to the present time. Mr. Fuller was married at Ithaca, Tompkins Co., N. Y., in 1855, to Sophia Curtis, who came with him to Kansas, and who died September 9, 1858, leaving one son, Chester H. Fuller, now a resident of Binghamton, N. Y. Mr. Fuller was married again in Jordan, Onondaga Co., N. Y., February 19, 1862 to Harriet Tracy, who is still living with him at his homestead in Atchison County, Kan.