|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Lancaster, eleven miles west of Atchison, without railroad facilities, was one of her rivals for the county seat. It was platted in 1857, by J. W. Smith, President of the Town Company, containing about sixty people, five stores, a postoffice and a number of churches. The first postoffice in the township was established at Lancaster, in 1857, Mr. Smith being appointed Postmaster. Other early settlers were Samuel Stover, Eli Watson, John Donnelly, R. M. Davidson, Jefferson Gregg, John Rust and Jacob Beck. In the summer of 1858, Mr. Smith furnished the money for the erection of a Union Church, the first sermon being preached by Rev. Mr. Bowman, on August 8.
The Methodist Episcopal Society worship in the Union Church, Rev. W. C. Day, of Atchison, being pastor. It is still part of the Monrovia Circuit, organized in 1859, and including Monrovia, Lancaster, Pardee and Sumner. The Church numbers eleven members.
The Baptist Church, in charge of Rev. John Rolf, of Granada, Jackson County, and the Presbyterian Society (pastor, Rev. Mr. Farmer, of Highland) are the other religious organizations of Lancaster.
Huron Station, the newest town in Atchison County, is located on the just-completed Omaha Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, in Lancaster Township, seventeen miles northwest from Atchison. The town site and several hundred acres in the immediate vicinity are owned by Col. D. R. Anthony, of Leavenworth. He donated to the railroad company twenty acres of land and the right of way for one mile. On the 1st of April, 1882, the surveys were made, and the town named and platted. Two side tracks, each eighty rods in length have been laid down. Within six weeks of the completion of the surveys, five dwellings were erected, and the business interests of the village are well represented. Application for the location of a postoffice has been made, and the request will be favorably acted on by the Postoffice authorities at an early day, and the change from "old Huron" will be made to the new town. W. D. Starr will be appointed Postmaster. Several houses are now under construction, and before the close of the year 1881, Huron will contain fifty dwellings. Among the buildings to be put up this seasons are two church edifices - Presbyterian and Baptist. Whenever a desire is manifested to build a church, Col. Anthony generously donates a good-sized lot on which it may be placed. By July 15, a comfortable and roomy station-house will be finished at Huron. Like all the Missouri Pacific stations, it will be large and well-built. Situated almost half way between Atchison and Hiawatha, and not less than fifteen miles from either of those cities, Huron must grow into importance as a trading and grain-shipping town. Among the houses soon to be completed is a commodious hotel. Property is rapidly being sold to new comers.
Huron Lodge, No. 72, A. F. & A. M., Huron, held its first meeting under a dispensation, August 1, 1868. The charter members were W. B. Sloan, J. W. Sloan, J. J. Halligan. The officers were installed by Deputy Grand master, B. F. Freeland, and were as follows: W. B. Sloan, M. W.; J. W. Sloan, S. W.; J. J. Halligan, J. W.; J. J. Sloan, Sec.; S. L. Carpenter, S. D.; Jacob Reese, J. D.; Thomas Huckaby, tiler.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - LANCASTER TOWNSHIP.
PETER BUCKELS, farmer, P. O. Lancaster, was born in Williamsburg County, S. C., in 1829, and was raised there on a farm. He remained on his father's farm until 1856, when he came to Kansas and pre-empted 160 acres of land ten miles northwest of Doniphan County. In 1860 he went to Gage County, Neb., and bought 240 acres on Wild Cat Creek, which he improved and lived on until 1867, when he moved to Lancaster Township, Atchison County, and located on Section 17, Range 19, Township 5, and has 220 acres, 130 under cultivation and the balance in timber and pasture. He was married in 1858, to Miss Elsie A. Miller, of Brown County, Kansas. They have six children, viz: Julia, Frankie, Dora, Katie, Jessie and Mary.
J. D. CARPENTER, hotel, Huron; was born in Kentucky, and raised in that State. In 1856, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Lewis County, and served for twelve years. In 1874, he came to Kansas, and located near Huron, and engaged in farming. He was married in 1858, to Miss Ruth Fregus, of Lewis County, Ky., who died November 29, 1877, leaving two children - Alvadora and Willie. In 1882, he came to Huron and opened a hotel.
HON. FRANK E. CLOYES, farmer, Lancaster Township: was born in East Middlebury, Vt., in 1847. In 1859, his parents moved to Kansas, locating on Section 27, Township 5, Range 19, which section is now owned by the father and his two sons, and is one of the largest farms in the township. In 1864-65, Frank attended Pardee Seminary, at Pardee, Kansas. In 1866-67, attended the University at Highland, Kansas, and in 1868, turned his attention to farming, which business he has successfully followed ever since. He was married in Lancaster Township, in 1869, to Miss Martha Rust. They have five children, viz: Addie M., Etta J., Frank H., Susie E., and Marshall J. In 1880, he was elected to the Legislature from Atchison County, and during the last legislative term served the interests of his county faithfully; was re-elected for the same position in 1882. He has been Clerk of the School Board for his district for the past twelve years. He is a member of the Effingham Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
G. GRANER, farmer, P. O. Lancaster; was born in Kurhaessen, Germany, in 1834, where he learned the brewers' business. In 1854 he emigrated to America, and located at Belleville, Ill., where he ran a farm and worked in a brewery until 1859, when he worked in breweries at St. Louis and at Jefferson City, Mo. In June, 1861, he enlisted in a Missouri battalion and served until October the same year, when, the term of enlistment expiring, he was discharged at Jefferson City, when he returned to Belleville, Ill., and worked in a brewery at that place until 1865, when he came to Atchison as foreman in the brewery of Kurtz & Young, where he remained until 1867, when in company with Frank Young he engaged in butchering and packing pork. In 1866, he bought 160 acres of land in Section 20, Township 5, Range 19, and now owns 320 acres, 200 acres under cultivation, with good buildings, orchard, vineyard, and hedge fence. Was married in Atchison, Kansas, in 1866, to Miss Martha Hauck, and has six children, viz: Matilda, Willie, Ina, Henry, Ferdinand and Adolph. Is a member of Schiller Lodge, I. O. O. F., Atchison, Kansas.
JEFFERSON GREGG, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Lancaster: was born in East Tennessee in 1816, but was raised in Missouri, his parents moving to that State in 1818, settling in Ray County. In 1840 he moved to Buchanan County and engaged in farming. In 1856 he moved to Kansas, settling in Jefferson County, near Winchester, and engaged in farming. In 1857 he moved to his present location, and has been engaged in stock raising and farming. In 1836 he was married in Clinton County, Mo., to Miss Mary A. White. They have six children, viz: Mahala, Anna, James, Margaret, Alice and Bascom. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
B. F. HURSH, farmer, P. O. Lancaster; was born in Lewisburg, Union County, Pa., in 1836, and was raised in that State, attending the common schools and the Baptist University at his native town. On leaving school he clerked in a general store. In 1863 he was employed as a clerk in the commissary department of the U. S. Army, and during that year was stationed at Chain Bridge, District of Columbia. In 1864 was with the Twelfth and Twenty-fourth Army Corps. In 1865, was stationed at Washington, D. C., as superintendent under Captain Samuel B. Lauffer, A. A. Q. M. In the spring of 1866, he returned to his native State and engaged in the grocery business at Sunbury until 1868, when he sold out and returned to Lewisburg, where he remained until 1871, when he moved to Kansas, settling in Osborne County, being among the early settlers in that county, and helped organize the county government. In 1873 he returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1881 came to Lancaster Township and bought one of the best improved farms in the township, and the finest groves in the county. He was married in 1861, to Miss Kate I. Wilson, in Union County, Pa., They have two children - Frank W. and Guy L. In 1871, was Justice of the Peace in Osborne County, Kansas. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
H. H. KELLY, farmer, Huron: was born in Lewis County, Ky., in 1829, and was raised as a farmer, which pursuit he followed there until he came to this State in 1858, when he settled near Kennekuk. In 1880 he moved to his present location, where he owns 160 acres, and has a vein of coal varying from twelve inches to three feet, underlying the greater portion of his place. He was married in 1857, in Lewis County, Ky., to Miss Mary W. Carpenter, of Kentucky. They have two children - John S. and George E. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
W. R. PATTERSON, farmer, P. O. Huron, was born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1839. When fourteen years old he determined to go to the West, and left with only the clothes on his back and walked to Pittsburgh, where he secured a position as cabin boy on one of the river steamers, and went to Evansville, Ind., where he left the boat and went to Peoria, Ill., and went to work on a farm, and in 1857, came to this State, locating at Atchison, where he engaged in teaming until 1859, when he located on his present farm. 1860 and 1862 were spent in mining in Colorado. Returning to Kansas, he engaged in farming until the spring of 1880, when he went to California, then to Brownsville, Pa. Returning in the winter of 1880, he engaged in the butchering business at Atchison until the fall of 1881, when he returned to his farm. Was married in 1860, near Brownsville, Pa., to Miss Rachael Chalfant. Is a member of Huron Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M.
EDWARD PURDUE, farmer, Lancaster Township, was born in Canada, in 1850, and was brought up on a farm. In 1868, came to the United States and settled in Black River Falls, Wis., and engaged in lumbering until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lancaster Township, buying 160 acres of land, and has been an unusually successful farmer, owning 400 acres of Kansas soil, 280 acres under cultivation, with good fences, buildings and other improvements. He was married in 1878, to Miss Ola Davey, of Brown County, Kan. They have two children, viz, Marie and Charles.
W. G. RUCKER, of Dennet & Co., lumber dealers, was born in Noble County, Ohio, in 1859. In 1862, his parents moved to a farm in Livingston County, Ill. In 1876, he came to Kansas and located at Corning, where he engaged in general merchandising until 1881, when he sold out his business, and in April, 1882, came to Huron and engaged in the lumber business, and, during the short time the firm has been engaged in business, has met with marked success. In 1880, he was married at Corning, Kan., to Miss Jennie Butler, of that place. In 1881, was elected to the office of Township Trustee, but resigned the office on his removal to Huron.
SALEM RUPERT, farmer, P. O. Lancaster; was born in Armstrong County, Pa., in 1840, and was raised in that county. In his early years of manhood, followed farming and coal-mining. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, as a recruit, and joined the command just before the battle of the Wilderness, and was wounded in the left thigh by a musket ball. On his recovery, was assigned to the Invalid Corps; was stationed at Pittsburg, then transferred to Harrisburg, Pa., and was discharged at the latter place July 12, 1865, when he returned to Armstrong County and engaged in farming, and, in 1872, moved to Kansas, settling on Section 36, Town 5, Range 18, Lancaster Township, Atchison County. He now owns 280 acres of land, eighty acres under cultivation, the balance in tame grasses. In 1866, was married in Indiana County, Pa., to Miss Susan Altman, and has five children, viz., Mary, Agnes, Lulu, Nola and Zenus.
JOHN S. RUST, Section 34, P. O. Lancaster, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1819; learned the trade of plasterer in his native State; in the fall of 1839, went West; cast his first vote in Clark County, Mo., for President Harrison, in 1840; then removed to Jennings County, Ind. He married Miss Jane Boner, in 1842. She died ten years after their marriage. In 1852, he married Mrs. Mahala Worth. In 1853, they moved to North Vernon, where he built the first storehouse and hotel, and continued in business there a little over one year. He then moved to Madison County, Iowa, in 1855, and lived in Winterset one year. He then moved to Kansas in 1857, and purchased the farm on which he now resides. He was one of the first settlers in Atchison County, and was proprietor of the first hotel outside of Atchison, in the county, located on the military road from Leavenworth to Fort Kearny. Mr. Rust was elected Justice of the Peace in 1858, and elected County Commissioner in 1861. He enlisted in the army November 6, 1861, and served three years and three months as Quartermaster Sergeant in Company D, Second Kansas Volunteers. His second wife died December, 1865. He married his third wife, Miss Adie A. Gibson, in 1868. He was appointed Postmaster of Lancaster, Atchison County, in May, 1882.
G. W. STABLER, farmer and stock-raiser, Lancaster Township, was one of the oldest settlers of this township; was born in Stablersville, Baltimore Co., Md., in 1839, where his ancestors had lived for 200 years. In 1852, he moved to Ohio, where he remained until 1854, when he moved to Adams County, Ill., where he learned the carpenter's trade. In the fall of 1858, he moved to Kansas, settling in Lancaster Township. In 1859-60, he worked in a quartz mill in Colorado. In the spring of 1861, returned to Kansas and enlisted as a private in Company D, Second Kansas Infantry, for 100 days; at the expiration of that time, he re-enlisted in the Second Kansas Cavalry, and was made Sergeant; was in the battles of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, Van Buren and all the battles of his regiment. In June, 1863, he was commissioned First Lieutenant, and in 1865 was promoted to Captain of Company C, and was mustered out at Leavenworth in August, 1865, when he returned to his farm and has followed that pursuit ever since. The farm comprises 230 acres; 140 under cultivation. He was married at Huron, September 21, 1865, to Mrs. Nancy Wilson, who died in October, 1878, leaving four children, Gale C., John P., James H. and Mark O. He was again married January 14, 1880, at Huron, Kan., to Mrs. Anna Berger, of Nodaway County, Mo. Capt. Stabler has always taken an active part in the politics, both in county and State issues. In 1870, he was census taker for the western part of Atchison County. In 1871-72, served as Deputy United States Marshall. In 1866, was elected to the Legislature, and served his constituents faithfully. He has been Justice of the Peace for the past twelve years. He is an active member of the Huron Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M.
JAMES STICKLER, farmer, P. O. Lancaster, was born in West Virginia, in 1817, and brought up upon a farm. In early manhood he ran a ferryboat across a stream near his father's farm for some four or five years, when he engaged in farming in West Virginia until the fall of 1856, when he came to Kansas and settled in Shannon Township, Atchison County. In 1865, he moved to his present location, where he has 150 acres of well-improved land. In 1847, he was married to Miss Martha J. Smithson, of Monroe County, W. Va., and has three children living, Sarah E., Margaret and Amanda. Is a member of Mackey Lodge, No. 78, A., F. & A. M., Effingham, Kan. He is also a member of the Baptist Church, and has been a deacon in that church for the past eighteen years.
C. B. TULEY, farmer, P. O. Huron; was born in Burlington County, N. J., in 1812. In 1820, his parents moved to Warren County, Ohio, thence to Miami County, where he lived and followed farming until 1869, when he moved to Lancaster Township, Atchison Co., Kan., settling on Section 35, Town 5, Range 19, and has 100 acres of land, all under cultivation. Was married in Miami County, Ohio, May 10, 1838, to Miss Elizabeth Frazier, and has eight children, viz, Mary A., Thomas, Sarah, Rhoda, Angeline, John, Ellen and Perry. Is a member of Huron Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
P. A. UNDERWOOD, farmer, P. O. Good Intent, was born in Parke County, Ind., in 1838, and was brought up on a farm, working summers and attending school winters. In 1859, came to this State and settled at Doniphan, but shortly afterward moved to a farm a short distance west of that place. In 1861, at the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and was in all the battles of his command, among them Corinth, Iuka, Coffeyville and Wyatt Miss., and after an active service of four years and four months, without receiving a scratch or being one day on the sick list, was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kas. In the fall of 1865, bought the present homestead, and has been engaged in improving it. Was married in 1867, at Rockville, Parke County, Ind., to Miss Elizabeth J. Pinnegar, of that place. They have five children - Ida M., Jno E., Sarah E., Cora Bell and Nellie M.
H. J. WATSON, carpenter and blacksmith, Huron, was born in Hendricks County, Ind., in 1841. In 1847, his parents moved to Buchanan County, Mo., and in 1856 to Kansas, settling in Atchison County, near Huron. The Watson family are pioneers of this section. H. J. worked at the blacksmith, tin and carpenter's trades, and from 1858 until 1882 ran a shop at Huron. He has always taken an active part in politics in this county. In 1864, was married at Huron, Kan., to Miss Sarah A. Elliott. In 1869, was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, and was successively re-elected until 1875. In 1876, was elected Township Trustee, and has held the office ever since. Is a member of Huron Lodge, No. 72, A., F. & A. M.
In the extreme western part of Atchison County, at the junction of Little Delaware Creek and the Delaware River, and on the Central Branch Missouri Pacific R. R., is the thriving and growing town of Muscotah. It contains over 500 inhabitants, and is the largest town in the county. Muscotah has four general stores; one grocery store; three drug stores, three blacksmith shops, one bakery, one meatshop, two shoemaker shops, two cabinet shops, one pump dealer, one nursery, three hotels, two livery stables, one lawyer and three doctors. A good grist mill is operated by Daniel McCuaig. There are two churches, Methodist Episcopal and Congregational. The District School is attended by about sixty pupils.
The Congregational Church was organized August 6, 1866, having been in charge of Revs. L. Pomeroy, J. M. Von Warner, A. A. Hurd and T. S. Roberts. The latter is acting pastor at present. The church building was erected in 1869 at a cost of $2,500, and the present membership of the society is forty-four.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in the early part of 1855, at the residence of Rufus Gooding, who was the second settler in Grasshopper Township. Rev. F. M. Williams preached the first sermon.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, was connected with the Monrovian Circuit until the session of the annual conference of 1877, when it was detached, and in connection with Whiting and Kennekuk formed what was known as the Muscotah Circuit. At the conference of 1879, Whiting was detached, and in 1882, Kennekuk. Until March, 1879, the congregation worshipped in the Congregational Church. The new church was dedicated March, 1879. It was built at a cost of $1,400, and upon the day of dedication the full amount was provided for. The Society was first organized in 1870, the following being a list of the pastors: Revs. John Cook, J. A. Amos, J. C. Dana, George DeSette, E. H. Baliff, N. Taylor, G. W. Miller, D. D. Campbell, F. M. Pickles, J. H. Green and J. S. Smith.
Muscotah Lodge, No. 116, (Masonic) was organized in October, 1868. It has at present (August, 1822,) the following officers: E. Bullock, W. M.; E. M. Brindle, S. W.; George Peabody, J. W.; J. C. Heath, secretary; H. S. Heath, treasurer. Membership about forty.
The name Muscotah, of written in Indian style, Musco-tah, signifies "Beautiful Prairie" or "Prairie on Fire." The site of Old Muscotah situated two miles and a half northeast of the present town, was surveyed by Dr. W. P. Badger and Major C. B. Keith, proprietors, who had settled there in the spring of 1856. The survey was completed in the fall of that year, and in 1858, Mr. Keith opened the first store in Muscotah. Dr. Badger located on what afterward became Senator Pomeroy's farm, and succeeded Major Baldwin as Indian Agent, holding the office from 1858 to 1862. In 1867, the Union Pacific road purchased the land which became the site of New Muscotah, from Pe-at-e-quork, and Indian chief, Dr. Badger acting as agent for the railroad. The land was surveyed in the fall of 1867, a Mr. Armstrong establishing the first general store soon afterward. The very earliest settlers of Grasshopper Township, located in 1854 and 1855, along the banks of the Little Grasshopper and its tributaries. The first settlement was made September 28, 1854, by Jacob Reece. Soon afterward came his brother, William, Rufus Gooding, Wilson Allec, William D. Barnett, Alex Wills, Major Baldwin, Andrew and Mack Pate, Barney Cohoon, A. D. Simmons and E. Noland. The first child born of township settlers, although he did not see light of day in this county, was Samuel Reece, September 2, 1855. Samuel Wylie and Miss Tenitia Tenery, were married in 1857, being the first couple in the township so joined. Alex Sharp, an Indian trader, kept the first postoffice in 1858, it being situated nearly in the center of Grasshopper Township. For some time it was thought that the name Grasshopper, applied first to the stream and then to the township, originated from the fact that upon some occasion a great invasion of the winged pest may have occurred. The Kickapoo Indians, however, informed Dr. Badger, that they had never heard of the grasshopper plague, or of a grasshopper raid, until 1865. The true origin of the name is this: During one of the early surveys, Maj. Gunnison's probably, a Frenchman named Sautelle (in English, "Grasshopper,") was drowned at the mouth of the stream, which now bears his name. Kennekuk is a small town containing about fifty people. It is in the northern part of Grasshopper Township, being platted by William H. Wheeler, county surveyor, in June, 1858. The first tavern in the township was opened by Thomas Perry in September, 1857.