|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (NANCE - PLATT).
W. NANCE, farmer, three miles northwest of Atchison, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, in 1828, and raised on a farm where he lived until 1854, when he started for the West. For a short time in 1853 lived in Missouri, but in the fall of that year came to Atchison County, Kas., and settled on Deer Creek near his present home, and engaged in farming until 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and was at the battles of Cain Hill, Prairie Grove, Van Buren, and all the battles of his regiment, serving until June, 1865, when he was discharged at Little Rock, Ark. He returned to his farm in this county and engaged in farming and stockraising, which he followed since. His farm consists of 240 acres, 100 under cultivation, twelve acres of orchard, good buildings and well-watered. Was married in 1858 in Atchison County Kas., to Miss Anna Synder. They have seven children - Sarah, Willie, Eddie, Lutitia, Birdie, Albert and daisy. Mr. Nance has held the Clerkship of the school Board of his district for six years. Is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church.
C. J. NEAL, of Crookham & Neal, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 12, 1831. In 1842 his parents moved to Maryland, and from there in 1845 to Xenia, Ohio. Here the subject of this sketch finished his education, and then learned the carpenter's trade, and followed this until 1858, when he moved to Kansas, where he engaged in contracting and building some years. He then entered the employ of the Overland Stage Line, having his headquarters at Atchison , Salt Lake City and Denver, building coaches for them; also acted for a time as express messenger. In 1868, he settled in Atchison, and became connected with present business. He was married in Atchison, September 9, 1860, to Miss Frances J. Fulton, a daughter of Dr. A. Fulton, of Kansas City, Mo. They have two children, bot daughters - Annie and Mary. Mr. N. is P. M. of Washington Lodge, No. 5, A. F. & A. M., is also a member of the A. O. U. W.
EDWIN C. NICHOLS, located at Emporia, on his first arrival in Kansas, June 8, 1878, remaining in that place until his removal to Atchison in 1881. For the past seventeen years his business has been solely that of an architect, a large portion of the time in New York. Among the buildings for which he has furnished plans for construction of remodeling may be mentioned the Washington and Winfield Hotels, the High School building at Emporia (Nichols & Squiers), the Odd Fellows' Temple, the City Gas Works, and the private residences of Hon. William Jay, Senator Plumb, Dr. A. J. Moore, Lewis Hallock, of Burlington, G. S. Galbraith, J. C. Meacham, J. C. Greenawalt, E. W. Sergeant, C. H. Thompson, W. C. North and A. H. Sahler, besides residence tenements for G. G. Ingalls, J. C. Meacham, and others. Mr. Nichols was born in New York City, January 5, 1843, which remained his home until his removal to Kansas. In 1861, he enlisted in the army, and was with the army of the Potomac, principally on detached service, until he was mustered out in 1865, having at that time attained the rank of Captain.
MATHIAS NOLL, JR., druggist and pharmaceutist, came to Kansas, April 20, 1880, located in Atchison and immediately secured a situation in the large German Drug House of Augustus Lang, where he has since been employed. He is a member of St. Benedict's Church and of the Michigan Pharmaceutical Association. Mr. Noll was born in Weston, Mo., July 23, 1859, and lived there until his fourteenth year, when he attended the Christian Brothers' College, at St. Joseph, Mo., for two years. He then secured an engagement in the prescription drug store of Fred Schelbe in St. Joe, where he remained about three years, and then entered the employ of Samuel I. Smith & Co., the well-known wholesale druggist of St. Joe. He remained with this firm a short time and then entered the school of pharmacy, of the University of Michigan, where he staid until his course of studies was completed, when he returned to St. Joe and was placed in charge of the drug store of John Wade, as managing clerk. He held this position for one year and then accepted the position he holds in Atchison at present.
A. J. NORTH, of the firm of Lukens & North, proprietors of the Diamond Mills, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Juniata County, March 7, 1822. His parents James and Rachel Jordon North, were old residents of that section. The subject of this sketch received his preliminary education in his native county, and finished his education in Carlisle, Penn. He commenced life as a clerk in 1837, continued until 1850, when he engaged in mercantile business on his own account, in Newton Hamilton, Mifflin Co., and made this his business up to 1870, when he moved to Kansas, taking a stock of goods with him, which he traded for land. He held the Postmaster's office in one of the towns in Mifflin County, Pa., over eighteen years. He settled in Atchison in 1870, and engaged in lumbering business, and continued in it until the present firm was formed. Mr. N. has been married twice, his first wife was Miss Jane Macklin, to whom he was married in Newton Hamilton, Mifflin Co., Pa., February 18, 1845; she died in 1849, leaving two children - Mary Jane, now Mrs. David Lukens, and William Cloyde. His present wife was Miss Sarah Ann Withrow, of Beaver Dam, Mifflin Co., Pa. They were married in that town February 18, 1851. They have six children living - James C., Laura, Flora, Rebecca, Annie and Addie. Mr. N. is a member of the Presbyterian Church; has been a member of the School Board six years. he was one of the first to conceive the idea of making a State exhibit at the Centennial in 1876. Judge Horton introduced the bill in the Legislature, and Mr. N. was the first member of the board appointed. He helped do all the preliminary work and acted as assistant at Philadelphia.
J. C. NORTH came to the State of Kansas, January 13, 1870; located at Atchison, and engaged in the retail and jobbing grocery business, which he still continues, it now amounting to about $60,000 per year. Mr. North was born in McKey Township, Mifflin Co., Pa., January 13, 1855, that being his home until he removed to Kansas. He was married at Atchison, May 26, 1880, to Miss Belle Leu, daughter of Jacob Leu. They have one child, named Esther Ann. Mr. N. is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
W. C. NORTH, of firm of Lukens & North, proprietors of Diamond Mills, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., March 30, 1848. Received his education in his native county, and in 1868(sic), removed to Iowa, where he engaged in clerking in mercantile establishments until 1864, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and was mustered out at expiration of term of enlistment. In 1869, he settled in Atchison, Kan., where he engaged in lumber and grain business until present firm was established. Mr. North was married in Mifflin County, Pa., January 9, 1873, to Miss E. B. Wilson, of that county. They have three children - Jeanette, Eleanor and David. Mr. N. is a member of the K. of P.; is Treasurer of the Uniform Rank.
J. A. NORTON & SON, dealers in watches, jewelry, plated goods, clocks, etc.; business established in 1873, by present firm. They carry a stock of $12,000 to $15,000. C. B. Norton, junior member of the firm, was born in Waupun, Wis., July 5, 1852. His father was engaged in jewelry business there, and afterward moved to Kewaunee, Ill., and then to Villisca, Iowa. The subject of this sketch was educated at Ripon College, and after finishing his studies, engaged with his father. In 1873, they moved to Atchison, and organized present business. Mr. N. was married in Kewaunee, Ill., January 16, 1873, to Miss Castle, of that city. They have three children - Edith, Imogene, Fannie. Mr. N. is a member of the Uniform Rank , K. of P., and of the A., F. & A. M.
ALONZO OCOBOCH, merchant, came to Kansas, April, 1878, and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. O. was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., August 15, 1852, where he resided until his eighth year, when his parents removed to Henry County, Ill., where he lived until his removal to Atchison. Mr. Ocoboch was married in Geneseo, Henry Co., Ill., in February, 1874, to Mary Ella Reis, a native of Henry County, Ill. They have a boy and a girl, whose names are Herman Burtis, and Pearl.
JOHN J. O'DONNELL, head bookkeeper in the wholesale grocery house of A. B. Symms & Co., was born in New Bedford, Mass., March 21, 1856. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1865, settling in Leavenworth. He graduated from Benedict College of Atchison in 1874.
ALFRED G. OTIS was born in Cortland County, N. Y., December 13, 1828, being the son of Isaac and Caroline A. Otis. While yet a mere boy his father removed to Barry County, in the then new State of Michigan, and engaged extensively in farming. His son, Alfred, with other members of the family were thus brought up on the farm, and shared all the labors and hardships of a pioneer life. At the age of twenty Mr. Otis resolved upon professional life, and determined, as the first step, to obtain a thorough classical education; and as the father was burdened with the care of a large family, the son set about the task of getting it for himself. His first studies in Latin and Greek were commenced in the evening upon the farm after the day's work was done. Afterwards, by teaching, he acquired means to prosecute his studies at the Kalamazoo Branch of the Michigan University. Entering as a sophomore in 1849, he graduated in regular course, in 1852. He then went South to the State of Mississippi, where he taught and studied law at the same time, from there he attended the Louisville Law School, where he graduated in 1854, and commenced practice in that city. In October, 1855, he removed to Atchison, Kansas, where he has resided ever since. He engaged at once in the active practice of his profession, and was for several years extensively engaged in the land litigation which, about this time, sprung up in the new Territory, and in which he took a leading and important part. In 1860, Judge Otis, then in full practice, formed a partnership with Hon. George W. Glick, a lawyer of about his own age, recently from Ohio. This partnership continued until 1873, and the firm did their share of the legal business of the State, both in State and Federal courts, and before the United States Land Office. They were the regularly employed attorneys of the Central Branch, Union Pacific Railroad, from 1865, during the whole of this period, and after the dissolution of the firm in 1873. Judge Otis retained the same position until he was elected to the bench in 1876. During this period, though in the full tide of actual business and professional labor, he yet found time to actively aid the Episcopal church, of which denomination he was a member, being the warm personal friend of Bishop Vail the Episcopal Bishop of the diocese of Kansas. he was also prominently identified with the business and railroad enterprises of Northern Kansas, Atchison being then as now the commercial center for that section of the State. In 1876 Judge Otis, though a prominent Democrat, was elected District Judge of the Second Judicial District, then largely Republican. He served his term of four years to the general satisfaction of the people and the bar, and, at its close, took an active part in the management of the Atchison Savings Bank, one of the leading banks of the city, and of which he had long been President. This with the care of his own private business, engrosses, at present, his time and attention. In 1862 Judge Otis was married to Miss Amelia Harres, of Philadelphia, and has by her six children still living - William A., Amy, Mark E., Pearl, Theodore and Carl. The eldest, William A., a young man of eighteen, is a student at Lawrence University. The rest are still a part of the home circle. The family were in all eight children, two - Grace and Harrison G., having died in infancy. Judge Otis still resides in a beautiful residence overlooking the Missouri River, surrounded by a grove of his own planting, where he first brought his wife in 1862. Of the same family Judge Otis has two brothers, George L. and Charles E., a law firm at St. Paul, Minn., - and also two brothers, Ephraim A. and Arthur G., well known lawyers at Chicago, ill. Another brother, Isaac N., recently deceased, was a devoted minister of the Presbyterian Church at Boulder, Colorado. The father of this family, Isaac Otis, died in 1854. The mother Caroline A. Otis, is still living.
JAMES P. OWENS, merchant, came to Kansas, March 8, 1867, and located in Atchison County. Mr. Owens is a member of St. Mary's Branch, No. 207, Catholic Knights of America, and is Sergeant-at-Arms of this association. Mr. O. was born in Watertown, Wis., June 8, 1856, and lived in his native place until his fourth year, when his parents removed to St. Joe., Mo., where they lived nine years. From there they came to Walnut Township, Atchison County, where they reside at present. When Mr. Owens first came to Atchison, he was employed by Joseph Gottesburen for some time. He then engaged in farming for two years, in Atchison County, and then entered the employ of J. W. Burkhart & Co., dealers in ice, with whom he continued one and a half years. He next entered the service of Gottsburen & Seitz, grocers, and after leaving them, worked in the machine shops of the Atchison & Nebraska R. R., in Atchison, where he remained nine months, and then entered the employ of John M. Bowen & Co., wholesale dealers in wines and liquors, with whom he remained until went into business on his own account.
JOHN W. PAGE, residence 1527 Commercial street, fireman on the Central Branch of the M. P. R. R., is the son of Linles B. Page, who came to Atchison in 1855 and took a claim on Deer Creek, three miles north of the present city, on which he lived two years. He then removed to Atchison and opened a butcher shop, where the subject of this sketch was born, September 27, 1857. he attended the schools of Atchison, and worked at various occupations until 1879, when he commenced railroading with the above company, first as wiper for one year, then as fireman, which he has followed since. Mr. Page is a member of the Locomotive Fireman's Brotherhood of Atchison, No. 31. His wife is Elizabeth, daughter of William Ross of Wellington, Kan., who was one of the early pioneers of that section of the State. They were married August 28, 1878. Mr. Page's father now resides near St. Joe., Mo.
H. CLAY PARK, editor of the Patriot, was born in Irvine, Estill Co., Ky., March 2, 1845. His father died June 30, 1849. When twelve years of age he moved to Platte City, Platte Co., Mo., where for five years he attended the male academy of Prof. F. G. Gaylord. In 1862 he removed to Campden Point, in the same county, and continued his studies under the same preceptor. In July, 1864, he moved to Atchison, Kan., and began the study of law under the instruction of Hon. John M. Price. The following spring he was appointed Deputy Clerk of the city of Atchison. As Mr. Root was then actively engaged in the publication of the Daily Free Press, the labors of the Clerk's office fell mainly on young Park, who performed the work diligently and intelligently, and that he made a faithful officer is evidenced by the fact that at the succeeding election he was chosen for the Clerkship by an almost unanimous vote of the people. In 1867 he was re-elected, and by appointment of the Mayor and City Council he held the office until 1871. In 1868 he became junior partner in the real estate firm of Fox & Park - at the same time publishing the Real Estate Bulletin. In the autumn of the same year, Mr. Park became associated with Hon. B. P. Waggener and Nelson Abbott in the editorial and business management of the Atchison Daily Patriot, under the style H. Clay Park & Co. The following year Mr. Park withdrew from the firm and associated himself with his former law preceptor, Hon. John M. Price, in the real estate business. In the spring of 1873, and for a brief period, engaged in the grocery trade with T. E. Park. In 1873 he was elected to represent the Fourth Ward in the City Council, and in 1875 was admitted to the Bar, and in April, 1876, he was elected Chief Justice of Atchison, but after a year's service resigned. In December, 1875, he purchased, in connection with F. L. Vandergrift, the Daily Patriot, and has been its chief editorial writer ever since. The Patriot is ably and successfully managed, and is the oldest daily democratic journal in Kansas. In January, 1879, Mr. Vandergrift disposed of his interest in the Patriot to Thomas Stivers, who attends to the "local" office. Mr. Park is respected by his fellow-citizens, and that he stands high in the estimation of his political friends the evidence is found in the fact that he has served as candidate for Presidential elector, delegate to several State conventions, and for two terms a member of the City Council. He has also "passed the chairs" in several secret societies - is a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias organizations. December 24, 1867, he was married to Miss Lizzie Armstrong, of Newmarket, Platte Co., Mo., by whom he has had two children - Mary C. and Gilbert C. Mr. Park is active and influential in all schemes for the upbuilding of his adopted city. As a citizen he is public-spirited and liberal, as a politician frank, bold and outspoken, and a man warm in his friendships. He despises tricksters and time-servers, and like his great namesake, had "rather be right than President. "
STANTON PARK, head bookkeeper for the firm of Bowman & Kellogg, proprietors of the "Central Mills," was born in Oneida County, N. Y., July 21, 1836, where he acquired a practical education. Came to St. Louis, Mo., in 1864, and was employed in an express office for two years. Then came to Atchison in 1866, and engaged with Atchison & Pike's Peak R. R. Co., as local freight agent, this road being now known as the Central Branch of the U. P. Remained with this company for one year, and from that time up to 1874, was employed at various occupations. He then entered the Atchison Savings Bank as bookkeeper, and in '76 re-engaged with the Central Branch of the U. P. R. R. This he followed until 1880, when he became a partner with J. V. Bryning in the linseed oil mills, where he still does business. One year later accepted his present situation, which is one of trust, requiring diligence and business talent. These qualities Mr. Park possesses in an unusual degree, as may be seen in the success of his different undertakings and his gradual but certain advancement as a business man. He has been secretary of the Engine Fire Company of this place. His wife was Miss Adelaide C. Button, to whom he was married at Atchison in 1868. During his employment with the Central Branch of the U. P. R. R., Mr. Park issued the first way-bill that went out of Atchison toward the West.
J. C. PARK, of Marshall & Park, proprietors of sash, door and blind factory, was born in Norfolk County, Canada, November 22, 1835. Was educated in his native county and learned the trade of carpentering which he followed until 1858, in which year he moved to Michigan. Remained one year at Port Huron and then settled in Alpena, where he engaged in contracting and building some time, then went into the sash, door and blind factory of Bingham & Co., where he remained until he removed to Atchison, Kan., in 1878. He was married in Port Huron, Mich., January 7, 1862, to Miss Cole, of Lakeport, Mich. They have three children living - Lawrence, Wilber H. and Mina. Mr. P. is a member of the First Baptist Church and is also a member of Washington Lodge No. 5, A., F. & A. M.
W. R. PEABODY, located at Atchison in January, 1875, being at that time local station agent for the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and for the past two years general agent of the company. He is a native of Massachusetts, his birth place being near Boston, in which city he had charge of the A., T. & S. F. office during the year 1876. He has also been connected with railroads in Nebraska, his entire attention being given to that business.
R. S. PEASE, one of the early settlers in Atchison, came to this place in March, 1857, and in company with John J. Pratt engaged in surveying lands and town sites in the vicinity. In the following year he was elected City Register and held the office one term. The same year he commenced a set of books containing abstracts of the titles to the lands and lots in the county, making records of the entries at the U. S. Land Office. He also opened the first insurance office in the city, being agent for the Aetna, Hartford, Home and other leading companies. In the spring of 1861, he was elected cashier of the Bank of the State of Kansas, which was founded in the spring of 1858 as the Kansas Valley Bank, which position he held until March, 1866. At the first election for State officers he was the Democratic candidate for State Treasurer. In the fall of 1861 he was made Trustee of the Overland Stage Line from Atchison to Salt Lake City, and had charge of the stage route for several months. For several years succeeding 1866 he was engaged in no active business save that of dealing in real estate. For the past ten years he has been connected with the South-western Wyoming and several other incorporated stage companies that are engaged in carrying mails, and doing business in several States and Territories. He is a native of Somers, Conn.
JOHN O. PEEBLER, arrived in Kansas in September, 1854, and with his father, Andrew W. Peebler, located on Stranger Creek in Mt. Pleasant Township, Section 16, Township 7, Range 20. In the fall of 1881, Mr. Peebler, Sr., sold the old homestead and removed to Meriden, Jefferson County, where he still resides. John O. was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1860, when he went into the freighting business, in which he remained three or four years. He then became a school teacher, and was so employed until the fall of 1871, at which time he was elected Register of Deeds, holding the office by virtue of re-election until January, 1882. He had previously been one of the Trustees of Mt. Pleasant Township for three terms, and also served on the School Board. Mr. Peebler was born near West Point, Lee Co., Iowa, December 7, 1837. His parents removed to Jefferson County, in the same State, when he was two or three years of age, where he resided until he was about sixteen. In 1852 he went to Independence, Mo., coming to Kansas two years later. He is now living at Atchison, engaged in the real estate and insurance business. On the 28th of December, 1874, Mr. Peebler was married in Atchison, to Julia A, Hamner, a native of Missouri, but long a resident of the city, her parents removing to the place in the summer of 1854. They have but one child - Chester H. Peebler.
G. W. PENNELL has been a resident of Atchison since the fall of 1874, having since that time had charge of the lumber yard of G. C. Hixon & Co. He is a native of Honeoye, Ontario County, N. Y. In July, 1866, he came to Missouri, where he became connected with the lumber firm of G. C. Hixon & Co., with whom he has remained to the present time. He is a member of the Masonic order.
W. D. PENNEY, gardener. This gentleman is a native of England and was born in Nottinghamshire, December 30, 1834. When about fifteen years of age, he removed to Yorkshire, where he learned the butchering trade, a vocation which he pursued for several years. In 1870 he came to America, locating in Milwaukee, Kas., residing until 1873, when he took up his abode in Atchison, residing for a time, when he became a resident of Doniphan, where he was in the employ of the A. & N. R. R. In 1879, located permanently in Atchison and has devoted his attention to gardening, making it a success in every sense of the word. Mr. Penney is an industrious and enterprising citizen. In 1858, Miss Henrietta Chatterly became his wife. They have three children - Lillian W., Rosa Ada and Violet Josie.
MAHLIN W. PERDUE, night foreman C. R. I. & P. R. R., came to Kansas in the fall of 1878, and located in Leavenworth, where he remained one year. From there he went to Trenton, Mo., where he lived for three years, when he came to Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. Perdue is a member of Golden Cross Lodge, No. 38, Knight of Pythias, of Trenton, Mo. He is also a member of the Uniform Rank of the same lodge. He was born in Elmore, Ottawa Co., Ohio, December 25, 1857, and lived in his native place until his seventeenth year, when his parents removed to Fairfield, Lenawee Co., Mich., where he lived until his twenty-first year and then came to Kansas. Both of Mr. P. 's parents are still living in Fairfield, Mich.
JOHN PERKINS, a resident of Atchison since 1864, was born in Devonshire, England, November, 1842. When about eighteen or nineteen years of age, he emigrated to America, first landing in Canada, where he remained until the latter part of 1863. He then lived for a short time in Rochester, N. Y., and in Chicago, finally locating at Atchison in December, 1864. For about three years he was engaged in the manufacture of flour, at the expiration of which time he commenced the retail grocery business in which he is still engaged. His business is extensive, amounting to about $100,000 per annum, and giving employment to ten men. For the last seven years he has been without a partner. Mr. Perkins was married in Atchison, December, 1867, to Mary A. Garside of Canton, Ill. Their six children bear the following names: Mollie Grace, Fannie, Alice, Jessie, Bessie Garside and Edna Rose. Mr. Perkins is a member of A. O. U. W.
DAVID W. PERRY, foreman of the boiler department of the Missouri Pacific machine shops, residence 1518 Commercial street, was formerly from Canada, born near Kingston, June 1, 1851; learned his trade in the K. C., Ft. S. & G. R. R. shops at Kansas City, Mo. Beginning in 1870 and after serving an apprenticeship of three years, was appointed foreman in said shop, having the supervision of seven men. In 1875 he left there and entered the employ of the M. K. & T. R. R., where he continued until 1879, when he came to Atchison and took charge of the shops as above, where he has the management of eight men. Mr. Perry married November 22, 1874, in Kansas City, Mo., Miss Margaret Shookman, of New Haven, Mo., a daughter of Michael Shookman, who was formerly an old pioneer of Missouri from Tennessee, and died at the advanced age of 105 years. The subject of this sketch belongs to the I. O. O. F., being a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 5, and of the Hesperian Encampment, No. 6.
T. M. PIERCE was born near St. Joseph, Buchanan Co., Mo. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1856, first locating at Iowa Point, Doniphan County, which place remained his home until he removed to Atchison in 1872. He received his education at Highland University, Kansas, and Battleground Collegiate Institute, Indiana. Read law with W. W. Guthrie, of Atchison, and was admitted to the bar in 1873, and is now practicing law in Atchison. Mr. Jacob T. Pierce, his father, still resides in Doniphan County. On August 13, 1862, at the age of fifteen, Mr. T. M. Pierce enlisted as a private in Company B, Thirteenth Kansas, serving until July, 1865, when he was honorably mustered out with his regiment at Fort Leavenworth. He was in the Post Adjutant's office for about one year, while stationed at Van Buren, Ark. He also served as a member of the legislature from Doniphan County in 1872, and held the office of Justice of the Peace of Atchison City for one year, and was one of the enumerators and statistical agents of the Census Bureau of 1880.
AUGUSTUS R. PLATT, bookkeeper for the wholesale grocery house of Julius Kuhn, is native of New York State, born in Onondago County, June 7, 1843. Came to Kansas in 1868, living at Atchison till the spring following; then went to Hiawatha, where he first held the position of Assistant County Clerk, then County Clerk, and was afterward elected Register of Deeds of Brown County, which he filled two years. Returned to Atchison in 1874, and for some time was employed as bookkeeper by various firms. Under the administration of B. B. Gale, he entered the post-office as Register Clerk, but was soon promoted to Assistant Postmaster, where he served during this administration. Mr. Platt then entered the service of the U. S. and Am. Express Cos., which were then operated together, and April 6, 1881, accepted this situation with the above firm, and as a thoroughly practical and intelligent man of business, ranks among the best of them. He is Treasurer of Friendship Lodge, No. 5, of the I. O. O. F., which position of trust he has held for five years; is also a member of Hesperian Encampment, No. 6. His wife was Miss Orpha Jones, whom he married February 22, 1865, at Syracuse, N. Y. They have one son, Charles T.