KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


ATCHISON COUNTY, Part 21

[TOC] [part 22] [part 20] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MARTIN - MYERS).

AARON F. MARTIN, located in Atchison and commenced the practice of law May 11, 1871; since which time he has been continuously engaged in his profession in that city. In the spring of 1879, he became associated with W. Durve as a partner - prior to which time he was alone. Mr. Martin is a native of Westmoreland County, Pa. was educated at Millersville State Normal School in Lancaster County, Pa., and graduated from the Law Department of Michigan University, soon after which time he removed to Atchison. He served for about a year, commencing in the fall of 1862, in the One Hundred and Thirty-Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out of service and re-enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Ninety-Fifth Pennsylvania, in 1864, serving one hundred days as Orderly Sergeant in the latter regiment. He is a member of the Knights of Honor.

F. P. MARTIN, house painter and grainer. Business established in 1880 by himself. He employs from three to eight and ten men, according to the season. Mr. M. was born in Elizabethville, Dauphin Co., Pa., December 7, 1853. Was educated in his native county; then learned his trade in Harrisburg; moved to Ohio in 1875, following his trade, and in 1878 settled in Atchison. Has been in the business continuously since the age of seventeen years. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., September 8, 1880, to Miss Anna M. Haskell, of Nortonville, Kan. They have one child, Franklin R. Mr. Martin belongs to the Uniform Rank, K. of P., and is Vice Grand of Friendship Lodge, no. 5, I. O. O. F.

COL. JOHN A. MARTIN was born March 10, 1839, at Brownsville, Fayette Co., Pa. While a mere lad, he learned the trade of printing, in the office of Brownsville Clipper, being foreman and local editor of that paper during the last year of his apprenticeship. When he was eighteen, in the spring of 1857, he went to Pittsburg, and was employed in the office of the Commercial Journal as a printer, and in October of the same year emigrated to Kansas. Located in Atchison, and for a short time set type for the columns of the Squatter Sovereign; afterward working in the office of the Crusader of Freedom, at Doniphan. He purchased the Squatter Sovereign of O. F. Short, in February, 1858; changed its name to Freedom's Champion, and on the 20th of the same month commenced his long editorial career in Kansas, by the issue of the first number of the paper with which he has since been so honorably identified. Since that time he has been elected to several offices, filling them to the utmost satisfaction of his constituents. He has been early and late, first and last, a stanch Free-state man, and an ardent Republican, being one of the prime movers in the organization of the latter party in his adopted State. He was secretary of the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, and was elected State Senator from Atchison and Brown district before he was twenty-one. He served as delegate to the Territorial Convention at Lawrence, of April 11, 1860, and to the Chicago National Convention which followed. He was secretary of the State Railroad Convention which met at Topeka during the same year, to devise a railroad system for the State, and was a member of the Senate for the first State Legislature, in 1861. During the summer of 1861, he assisted in organizing the Eighth Kansas Infantry, of which he was appointed Lieutenant- Colonel. The regiment served on the Missouri border during the fall and winter of 1861. Early in 1862, he was appointed Provost Marshall of Leavenworth, and in March of the same year his regiment was ordered to Corinth, Miss., Lieut. - Col. Martin in command. A few weeks after arriving at Corinth, the regiment, with the division to which it was attached, was ordered to join Gen. Buell, in Tennessee, and thereafter, during the whole war, it served in the Army of the Cumberland. Lieut. -Col. Martin was promoted to be Colonel on the 1st of November, 1862; and was Provost Marshall of Nashville, Tenn., from December, 1862, to June, 1863. The regiment, under his command, took part in the battles of Perryville, Ky., and Lancaster, Ky.; the campaign against Tullahoma and Chattanooga; the battle of Chickamauga; the siege of Chattanooga; the storming of Mission Ridge; the campaign in East Tennessee, in the winter of 1863-'64; the campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta, and the subsequent pursuit of Hood northward. Col. Martin commanded the Third Brigade, First Division, Twentieth Army Corps, on the second day of the battle of Chickamauga and during the siege of Chattanooga; and commanded the First Brigade, Third Division, Fourth Army Corps, from August, 1864, until his muster out at Pulaski, Tenn., November 17, 1864. Returning home, he resumed control of the Atchison Champion early in January, 1865, and on the 22d of March, issued the first number of the Daily Champion. He has been Commander-in-Chief of the State Encampment, Grand Army of the Republic; a delegate from Kansas to the National Republican Conventions of 1860, 1868, 1872, and 1880; a member of the National Republican Committee from 1869 to the present time; a member of the United States Centennial Commission, and one of the vice-president of that body; was one of the incorporators of the Kansas Magazine , and of the State Historical Society, of which he was president one term; was president of the State Editors' and Publishers' Association in 1878; was elected by the two Houses of Congress, one of the Board of Managers of the National Soldiers' Homes, in 1878, and re-elected in 1882, being now second vice-president of that body; and was elected Mayor of Atchison in 1865. He was married, June 1, 1871, to Miss Ida Challiss, oldest daughter of Dr. William L. Challiss of Atchison, and has four children.

MAY & CO., dealers in second-hand goods of all descriptions. Firm composed of Joseph May and L. Swarz; business established in 1877. Joseph May was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, December 18, 1843. In 1864 he came to the United States and located in New York City, where he engaged in general occupations. In 1867 he removed to Nebraska City, Neb., where he remained until 1870, in which year he settled in Atchison and engaged in peddling and dealing in second-hand goods. He was married in Atchison, Kas., June 3, 1877, to Miss Lippman, a native of Germany.

FRANK MAYHOOD, butcher, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1864, and located in Springdale, near Leavenworth. He lived there about one year and then went to Stranger Township, Leavenworth County, where he remained about eight years. From there he moved to Wyandotte, where he lived two years, and from there came to Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. Mayhood was born in Manchester, N. H., October 25, 1855, and lived in his native place until his twelfth year, when his parents removed to Kansas. His parents are both living in Atchison.

J. C. MEACHAM, was born at Rutland Township, Jefferson Co., N. Y., April 18, 1828. When ten years of age he went to Ohio, where he lived several years, and then removed to Michigan, which State remained his home until he came to Kansas in August, 1866, and located at Atchison. Two years after settling in Atchison, he engaged in lumber business, which he carried on in that city for six years. He then moved his yard to Seneca, residing in Atchison during the period of four years that his lumber yard was in Seneca. In 1874 he engaged in lime-plaster and cement business, which he now carries on, both wholesale and retail, manufacturing the Asbeston stone for building and sidewalk purposes. Mr. Meacham was married March, 1852, in York Township, Sandusky Co., Ohio, to Mary Comstock, a native of the township.

ALBERT E. MEIER, druggist, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1876, and located in Atchison. he resided in St. Joseph, Mo. for five years previous to coming to Atchison. Mr. Meier is an active and prominent member of the Atchison Turn Verein, of Schiller Lodge, No. 33, I. O. O. F., and an honorary member of the St. Joseph Grueth Verein, and has held offices in all of these societies. He was born in Sursee, Switzerland, November 4, 1856, and remained there about two years, when his parents removed to Lucerne, Switzerland, where they remained until the subject of this sketch had attained his twelfth year, when they emigrated to America and settled in St. Joe, Mo. His father is still living in the city of Atchison. From St. Joe, Mo., Mr. Meier removed to Atchison, where he has resided since. He was engaged in the drug and grocery business, while living in St. Joe, and has always been in the drug business, while living in Atchison. In 1880-1 he was in business for himself and was a member of the firm of Meier & Wagner, corner Eighth and Commercial streets. Before and since that time he has been connected with the wholesale drug house of McPike & Fox. Mr. Meier was married in Atchison, May 11, 1878, to Elizabeeh Spatz, a native of Reading, Pa. DWIGHT D. MERWIN came to Atchison County, in March, 1857, and in company with his brother-in-law, located at Sumner, where he remained until February, 1860. He then moved to Centre Township and resided in that place until he enlisted as a private, July, 1862, in Company F, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, being mustered into United States service on the 22nd of the same month. Early in 1864, he was promoted to Commissary Sergeant of the regiment, and retained that position until July 1, 1865, the date of preliminary discharge of the regiment; the formal discharge occurring at Fort Leavenworth a few weeks later. After leaving the army Mr. Merwin returned to Centre Township, where he resided until March, 1869, when he removed to Atchison and accepted the position of 'Deputy Register of Deeds. ' While holding that position he had superintendence of the compilation of a set of complete title abstracts of Atchison County, now in use by Manley & Coates. For a time he held the position of Deputy County Clerk, and was Deputy County Treasurer from July, 1872, until October, 1878, when he was elected County Treasurer, and re-elected in 1880. Mr. Merwin was born in Louderville, Holmes Co., October 17, 1845. When quite young he removed with his parents to Grange County, Ohio, and afterwards to Connecticut and Brooklyn, N. Y.

SAMUEL S. METZGER, cabinet-maker, came to Kansas in March, 1879, and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. M. was in the Government employ in the Pioneer Corps. during the late war. Mr. M. was born in Lancaster, Pa., January 29, 1829, and resided in his native place until his twenty-fifth year, when he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he stayed but a short time, and then went to Greensburg, Ind., where he remained about eighteen months. In the fall of 1858 he removed to Lawrenceburg, Ind., where he worked at his trade for twenty years. From the latter place he removed to Kansas. He was married at York Ridge, Dearborn County, Ind., July 19, 1859, to Miss Adelaide Ward, a native of Indiana. They have six children living - George W., Carrie C., Charles D., Mary J., Sarah E., and Thomas Browne.

JOHN MEYER, proprietor Empire Bakery, is a native of Germany, and was born in Bavaria, April 4, 1847. He was educated, raised and learned the baker's trade in his native country. When twenty-one years of age came to America, locating in McKeesport, Allegheny Co., Pa., where he worked one year at his trade; the next, went to Pittsburgh, and eventually to St. Louis, where he resided three years. In 1874 came to Atchison, where he has since resided, working as a journeyman for a considerable length of time before engaging in business. Mr. Meyer is a superior baker, and being a gentleman of a social and entertaining disposition, commands a large trade. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Schiller Lodge. He married in 1875, Miss Lizzie Galifeiter, one of Atchison's estimable ladies. They have two children - Bertie and Willie.

D. E. MILLER, proprietor Miller's Restaurant. This popular gentleman is a native of Ohio, was born in Portage County, March 9, 1843. His father, A. D. Miller, was one of the pioneers of that county. When D. E. was quite young, the family emigrated to Wisconsin, located in Marguette county, where he spent his youthful days, and resided until 1861, when he came to Kansas. He was a resident of Topeka in 1862, and in that year enlisted in Company H., Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. He participated in thirteen general engagements, among those were King Hill and Prairie Grove; was in pursuit of Gen. Price on his raid in Missouri: he received one slight wound while in the service. After the war, he took up his abode in Pleasant Hill, Mo., residing about four years, when he removed to Lawrence, Kan., at which point he resided until 1874, when he came to Atchison, and has since been the urbane host of Miller's Restaurant. As a caterer to the traveling public, Mr. M. has attained a notable and well-deserved reputation. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Friendship Lodge, No. 5, and the Encampment, and is at present Chief Patriarch. He is also a member of the Blue Lodge, A. F. & A. M., K. of H., A. O. U. W. and K. of P., and for two terms was Master of Exchequer for the lodge. In 1868 he married Miss Mary Johnson, an estimable lady. She was born in Manchester, England. They have two children - Katie and Lulu.

JOHN G. MILLER, physician and surgeon, was born near Gettysburg, Adams Co., Pa., July 31, 1820. Resided in Adams, Bedford and Franklin counties, until the spring of 1835, when he moved with his father, Jacob Miller, to Columbiana Co., Ohio. In 1841 he attended Jesse Holms' High School in New Lisbon. In 1842 he attended Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa. In 1843 and 1844 he attended college at Oberlin, Ohio, after which he taught school in Iowa, Missouri, and Ohio, and studied medicine in the office of Dr. Abel Carey, of Salem, Columbiana Co., Ohio, attending a course of medical lectures at Cleveland, during the winter of 1848-'49. In the summer of 1849 he started West to grow up with the country, and practiced medicine in Miami Co., Ind., Red Rock, on the Des Moines River, Marion County, Iowa, and Maysville, De Kalb Co., Mo. In 1853 he attended lectures and graduated at Castleton Medical College, Vermont. In 1854 he attended lectures and hospitals in New York city, and again graduated in medicine, this time at New York (now the Bellevue Hospital) Medical College. After visiting Philadelphia, Pa., and attending medical lectures and hospitals there, he practiced his profession in North Georgetown, Columbiana Co., Ohio, Pella, Marion Co., and Osceola, Clark Co., Iowa, until 1857. In the spring of this year he went to California, and traveled extensively over the State, spending some time in San Francisco. In 1858 he returned from California and located in Leavenworth, Kan., forming a professional partnership with Dr. Hathaway of that place. In 1860 he moved to Woodson County, in the southeast corner of the State; on account of the total failure of the crops in that portion of the State, he left in the same year and located in Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa. In 1862 he was appointed by Gov. Kirkwood Assistant Surgeon to the Eleventh Iowa Infantry, and soon afterward was promoted to be Surgeon of the same regiment, during the fighting around the siege of Atlanta, Ga. He had charge of the Seventeenth Army Corps, Field Hospital, at Marietta, Ga. On Sherman's march to the sea, and until the army reached Washington, he had charge of the Moving Hospital of the Sixth Division of the Seventeenth Army Corps. Was mustered out of the service with his regiment at Louisville, Ky., in July, 1865. After the close of the war he spent eighteen or twenty months in the Pennsylvania oil regions, practicing his profession and dealing in oil. In 1867 he located in Pleasant Hill, Cass Co., Mo., where he practiced his profession successfully until the fall of 1872, when he removed to Atchison, Kan. In the spring of 1873, the Ad Eundem degree of Doctor of Medicine was conferred upon him by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Kansas City, Mo. In December, 1876, he went to the Black Hills, D. T., where he remained four years, except one winter spent in Atchison. While in the Black Hills, he was physician and surgeon for the Homestake Mining Company and had charge of the Hospital of the Holy Cross, controlled by the Sisters of mercy. He spent the summer of 1881 in Gunneson mining region, and is now (June, 1882), practicing his profession in Atchison, office in Breman's drug store, 421 Commercial street, residence 721 North Fifth street. Dr. Miller was married at Brownsville, Fayette Co., Pa., in 1854, to Annie Bennett, daughter of Capt. Isaac Bennet. They have two children living, both daughter - Lillie, wife of W. W. Hetherington of Hetherington Exchange Bank, and Mary, lately married to J. Levin, Manager of the Western Union Telegraph office at Atchison.

JULIUS MILLER, manufacturer and wholesale dealer in cigars. One of the leading wholesale houses of Atchison that has come rapidly to the front in the past few years is this establishment. Mr. Miller is a native of Germany, and was born in Breman, October 15, 1840. When young, came to America with parents, locating in St. Louis, Mo. He eventually removed to St. Charles, Mo., where he resided for several years, and learned the cigar-makers' trade. In 1861, Mr. Miller was among the first to respond to the call for Union troops, and enlisted in Company G, Twelfth Missouri Infantry. He participated at the battles, Pea Ridge, first attack on Vicksburg, Siege of Vicksburg, and other remarkable engagements. Was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was wounded in the right hand at Dallas, Georgia, and taken prisoner at that point, but escaped from the guards. Mr. M. held the rank of Corporal, and was honorably discharged and mustered out at St. Louis, in 1864. In 1865, he embarked in the manufacture of cigars at Lawrence, Kansas. Commencing in a small way, in a few years he built up a large and lucrative trade. In 1879, removed his house to Atchison, and has since been identified with the substantial merchants and manufacturers of the city. Mr. Miller is a member of the K. of H. He married in 1881, Miss A. E. Cambell.

ADOLPH MOHRBACHER, retail grocer, corner of Ninth and Kearney streets, was originally from Milwaukee, Wis., where he was born February 5, 1852. Came West with his parents in 1860, locating in Marshall County, Kansas, where his boyhood was spent on a farm. In 1880, he came to Atchison and opened a grocery store at his present stand, and although his stock is not extensive, he has a good trade, continually increasing, which bids fair to yield in time a large and lucrative business, under the able management of the proprietor.

ALFRED J. MOORE, contractor and builder, came to Kansas December 21, 1878, and located in Atchison, where he has resided since. Mr. Moore is a member of Bethlehem Lodge No. 183, A. F. & A. M. He was in the army as Captain of Company G, Second Regiment, Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. He enlisted in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1862, participated in all of the engagements of his command, and was mustered out of the service at City Point, Va., in January, 1866. He was born in Allentown, Pa., August 13, 1843, where his parents lived until he attained the age of six years, when they removed to Springtown, Bucks County, Pa., where they remained until the year 1858, when they removed to Bethlehem, Pa., where Mr. M. resided all the time, except while in the army, until he came to Kansas. He was married December 31, 1870, at Bethlehem, Pa., to Miss Harriet L. Miksch, a native of Pennsylvania. Captain Moore is an extensive contractor and builder, and has erected some of the finest buildings in the city of Atchison, among which are the stately Ogden block, the palatial residences of J. E. Wagner, W. W. Marbourg, W. W. Hetherington, and L. Frank, Esq. He also built the fine public school buildings in Easton and Bethlehem, Pa.; the Brainerd Presbyterian Church, Easton, and aided in the construction of the Lehigh University, at Bethlehem, Pa.

G. L. MOULTON, came to Kansas, March 12, 1858, his brother, H. H., arriving in the spring of 1857. They were engaged in livery business together about eight years, when G. L. brought out his brother's interest, and took sole charge of the establishment for about the same period. His brother then rejoined him, and six months later, James Yates became a partner - the three being still associated. They have done, since the first year (1858), a nice general transfer and omnibus business, and have also been for the past eight years in the ice business, giving employment in the cutting season to 150 men, and the remainder of the year to about twenty. G. C. Moulton was born in Brimfield, Portage County, Ohio, June 17, 1836. At the age of twelve he went to Michigan and remained several years in Kalamazoo, from whence he went to Detroit and St. Clair, and thence to Buchanan County, Iowa, residing about ten miles from Independence. He was married in Atchison in 1865, to Emma H. Ammon, of Michigan, and has two children - Lucretia G. and Guy.

H. H. MOULTON, came to Kansas in April, 1857, and located at Atchison, September, 1857, and commenced the livery business on the corner of Second and Atchison streets, which has been carried on by himself or brother ever since. At the time they started, it was the only establishment of the kind in the place - the "rigs" consisting of Indian ponies and a couple of buggies procured at St. Louis. In the spring of 1859, they commenced running a "bus line," the only one ever established in the city. From 1867 to 1873, H. H. was dealing in stock, and at an early period of his life was engaged in farming. Mr. Moulton is a native of Brimfield, Portage Co., Ohio. He was born September 26, 1834, and removed to Michigan when about fourteen years of age. He was married July 4, 1856, at Kalamazoo, to Alcesta Davis, of New York. They have three children, Minnie L., Ruby and Harry Custer. Mr. Moulton is a member of the society of K. of H.

MOULTON & BRO. commenced the business of freighting in 1862, which they continued until 1860, forwarding freight to Denver, Laramie, Salt Lake City, and Virginia City, Neb. The first mining machinery taken to Virginia City was sent by them in 1863, in charge of Mr. Backus. For a time they were employed by Gen. Fitz John Porter, continuing the business on their own account.

ROBERT G. MUELLER, carpenter, came to Kansas in August, 1878, and located near Effingham, where he lived three and a half years and then moved to Atchison, where he has lived since. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. Was born in the city of Erfurt, Germany, March 5, 1839, and lived there until 1851, when he emigrated with his parents to America, and located in Buffalo, N. Y., where he lived two years and then went to Williamsville, N. Y., where he remained two years more, and then went to Alleghany, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., where he lived eighteen years and was engaged working at his trade. He then moved to Salamanca, N. Y., where he lived about five years and was engaged in the hotel business. From there he came to Kansas. Mr. M. was married January 1, 1860, in Alleghany, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., to Miss Kate Ehret, a native of Flomrshem, in the Rhine, Pflatz Bavaria. They have had seven children, of whom six survive, George William, Robert Gottleib, Anna Christina, Henry Peter, Maria Wilhelmina (died April 1, 1881), Charles Gottleib and Willie. Mr. Mueller is a member of the K. of H.

EUGENE MULDOON, farmer, four and one-half miles northwest of Atchison, is a native of the Emerald Isle, and was born in 1816, emigrating to America in 1839. Shortly after his arrival he engaged in the boot and shoe business in New York City, continuing in that business until 1854, when he went to Portage City, Wis., and engaged in the same business until 1859, when he went to Colorado and engaged in mining and prospecting and discovered some of the most valuable mines in that Territory, his prospecting tours extending through southern Colorado and down into New Mexico - the latter tour being made in company with Kit Carson, the noted scout, and was fraught with many hairbreadth escapes. He remained in the mines until 1864, when he came to Atchison and engaged in freighting from that point and Nebraska City. In the following year, freighted from Kansas City to Fort Union, N. M.; in 1866, went to farming in this county. In 1868, bought his present place. His farm comprises 160 acres - 150 under cultivation, six acres in orchard and grove. Was married in 1847 to Miss Alice McCaney, of New York city, who died March 3, 1882, leaving six children, James, Mary, Eugene, John, Margaret and Lola. In 1873, was elected Township Trustee of Shannon Township, serving one term. In 1876, was elected County Commissioner of Atchison County, serving one term.

HENRY MYERS, farmer, four miles north of Atchison, was born in Hanover, Europe, in 1829; his parents emigrated to this country in 1837, and settled in Jackson County, Ind., and followed farming. Here he remained until 1849, when he started for the West, coming to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1850. He worked on a farm near that place for some time. In 1851, was a Government teamster, and made a trip across the plains and returned. In 1852, engaged in the making of cottonwood shingles three miles north of Atchison, on the opposite side of the river, which business he followed until 1867, when he bought 160 acres of land, four miles north of Atchison, and engaged in farming. He owns 400 acres in Atchison County, 260 under cultivation, with good buildings, orchard and other improvements. He also has a stock farm of 320 acres, near Severance, in Doniphan County, and is engaged in stock-raising. Was married in Buchanan County, Mo., in 1842 to Miss Lethe Hartwick, and has four children, William, Mary, John and Henry B. Mr. Meyers is a member of Arcane Lodge, No. 31. of Doniphan, Kan., A., F. & A. M.

[TOC] [part 22] [part 20] [Cutler's History]