|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (LANE - MARSHALL).
J. M. LANE, proprietor of livery stable and roller skating rink, business established in 1881. The building is of brick, 45 X 150, two stories high. He keeps about thirty head of horses and a full stock of carriages of all kinds. Was born and educated in New York. Before he entered his present business he was a brick and stone contractor and builder. His parents are old residents of the county, having settled here in 1858.
AUGUSTUS LANG was born in Prussia, July 20, 1844. In August, 1865, he emigrated to America, first locating in New York City, where he remained six months, and thence removed to St. Joe, Mo., residing in that place until he came to Kansas and settled in Troy in 1868. In 1870 he again removed, locating this time at Atchison, where he now resides, engaged in drug business. Mr. Lang was married in St. Joe, Mo., January 18, 1867, to Miss Ellen Dyer, of St. Joe, Mo. Their five children are August, Carl, Annie, Louis and Robert. Mr. Lang is a member of I. O. O. F., being P. G., and member of Grand Lodge of the Order. He is interested in the cause of education, and has been several times member of the Board.
CHARLES E. LATHROP, book-keeper for the firm of Washer & White, proprietors of Elevator "A," was born December 14, 1856, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Came to Kansas in 1877, locating at Palmer, Washington County, and embarked in the grain trade. He still does business there, owning an elevator which has a capacity of 25,000 bushels and has a grist mill in connection. Mr. Lathrop also has an elevator at Scandia, this State, and another at Republic City, the former having a capacity of 7,000 bushels, the latter for 8,000. During the year 1878 the subject of this sketch came to Atchison and engaged with the above firm, where he has since remained. Being a gentleman of unusual ability and strict attention to business, he has won the entire confidence and respect of his employers, and the approbation of a host of friends, his reputation as an energetic business man is constantly increasing. Mr. Lathrop was one of the original members of the Atchison Board of Trade, being now chairman of the Call Board. He is also identified with the K. of P., Golden Cross Lodge No. 7.
LUE & LUGTON, proprietors of Lindell Hotel. D. T. Lugton was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 8, 1854. received his education in his native city. In 1869, he moved to Kansas with his parents and located in Lawrence. He finished his education at the old State University, and in 1874 moved to Atchison, to take the position of Clerk at the Otis House. Retaining this position until the firm was organized, of which he is a member, in October, 1878.
O. A. LEE, city weighmaster, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Erie County, December 22, 1817. His father, Stephen C., was a pioneer in Erie County; he had been Captain in the army during the war of 1812. The paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. O. A. received the advantages of what was considered a liberal education in the common schools. He adopted and pursued for several years the vocation of school teaching, in Alleghany County. He eventually embarked in the coal trade and was identified with that branch of industry for fifteen years, doing business in Pittsburgh and McKeesport. In 1858 came west, went to Pike's Peak, was at what is now Denver City before there was a house built; was engaged in mining and speculating until the spring of 1862; came to Kansas, locating temporarily in Jefferson County; came to Atchison County in January, 1863, engaging in farming four miles south of Atchison; for a number of years was closely identified with the agricultural development of the county. A few years ago removed to Atchison, and was the first to open a coal yard in the city which he did in connection with a feed store which he still operates. Mr. Lee is a well-informed gentleman, thoroughly conversant with the important issues of the day. He is one of the most public spirited citizens in the city - one who aims to keep pace with the progress of time. He was married in 1843 to Miss Martha J. Pollock, of Elizabeth township, Alleghany County, Pa. They have by this union three daughters - Mary A., now Mrs. Hanson; Lizzie and Ella. The last mentioned ladies are favorably known in Atchison as educators, being teachers in the city schools for the past ten years. Mr. Lee, wife and family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
THOMAS M. LEE, merchant, was born in Atchison County, Kansas, March 13, 1861. He is a member of St. Benedict's Church. Mr. Lee has lived in Atchison County ever since his birth. About four years ago he removed to the city of Atchison and became connected with the large wholesale and retail grocery house of William F. Dolan, in whose employ he remained two years, and then entered that of Symns & Co., wholesale grocers, where he was about six months, and then returned to his home and went to farming, in which he was engaged until the first of March, 1882, when he went into business for himself. His parents are still living in Walnut township, Atchison County.
GEORGE W. LECHLER, JR., car accountant for the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co., residence corner of Eleventh and Laramie streets, was born in Latrobe, Westmoreland County, Pa., May 16, 1858. His first experience in the railroad business was in the transfer depot of the Pennsylvania Central R. R. in his native State, where he was engaged previous to coming to Atchison. This transpired in October, 1878, when he engaged with above company, first as freight loader, then as check clerk, and finally, in May, 1881, was advanced to his present situation. Mr. Lechler is a young man of ability and careful industry, and is bound to make a success of whatever he may undertake, always receiving the approbation of his employers. He was married in Atchison in 1871, to Miss Minnie Gehrett.
JACOB LEU, dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, etc. Business established in 1860 by Mr. Leu. He carries a stock of about $20,000 and employs seven men. Mr. Leu was born in Switzerland June 28, 1833. In 1850 he came to the United States and located in Adrian, Mich., where he learned the trade of tinsmith, and continued at this until 1857, in which year he settled in Atchison, Kan., working at his trade until he established his present business. Mr. Leu has been twice married. His first marriage was in Atchison, June 12, 1859. Mrs. Leu died leaving three children - Belle, Grand W. and Lawrence W. He was married to his present wife in Atchison, December 16, 1870. She was Miss Minnie Ward of Indiana. They have three children - Ida, Minnie and Jessie. Mr. Leu is a member of the Lodge, Chapter and Commandery in the Masonic Fraternity; also belongs to the A. O. U. W.
JACOB LEVIN, manager of the Western Union Telegraph office, Atchison, was born in Beaufort County, S. C., January 11, 1851, and since learning telegraphy has been operator at the following different stations: Charleston, S. C.; Savannah, Augusta and Athens, Ga.; Tallahasee, Fla., and St. Louis, Mo. Has also been manager of the telegraph office at Sedalia, Mo. and Dennison, Texas, and was in the South during the war. In 1876, Mr. Levin took charge of the office in this city, but had been operator here since 1873. At that time there were only five men employed there, now there are nineteen and the business has increased about eight times the original amount. Mr. Levin has eight men under his control and receives all news of the Associated Press from every part of the world the same day it transpires. He is a gentleman fully competent and reliable, and is excellently qualified for this position, as he understands his business thoroughly. His wife is a daughter of Dr. J. G. Miller, an old settler of this city.
J. J. LOCKER, Probate Judge of Atchison County, emigrated to Kansas April 1, 1857; settled on southwest quarter Section 32, Township 6, Range 19, and lived on that claim until the fall of 1858, when he lost the place, it being disposed of to other parties at the land sale. Misfortunes came fast upon him at this period - the loss of his father by death in August, 1857, and of his mother in February, 1858. Mr. Locker continued to live in the neighborhood of the old place until the fall of 1861, when he commenced teaching school in the vicinity of Locust Grove, then called Spring Hill, and taught the winter term. The next summer - August, 1862, - he enlisted as private in Company F, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry and remained with that regiment about two years. November 10, 1864, he was mustered in as Second Lieutenant of Company B, Second Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry, promoted to First Lieutenant July 12, 1865, and mustered out in the following November. Throughout his term of service with this regiment he was acting adjutant of the regiment and participated in all the engagements of his command. Was examined and recommended for retention in the regular army. Was offered a second lieutenancy, but declined on account of ill health. The records of the regiment were corrected by Mr. Locker, and are said to be the most accurate of any colored regiment in the field. The good service the Second Colored performed at Jenkins' Ferry deserves most certainly a faithful chronicler. After leaving the army, he returned to Locust Grove, Mount Pleasant Township, where he again taught school until January, 1867, when he was appointed to a position in the office of the Secretary of State, which he was obliged to resign after a few months, in consequence of a severe attack of typhoid fever, which developed into an illness of two months in length. In the fall of 1867, he was elected Register of Deeds, and after serving two terms in that position, went back to his farm, where he remained until May, 1879, serving several years as postmaster during the period. He was then elected Probate Judge, and in 1880 was re-elected to the same position, which he occupies at the present time. Judge Locker was born in Sheffield, England, February 13, 1839. He came to America in 1853, with his parents, Robert and Elizabeth (Preston) Locker. Their first location was Meadville, Crawford Co., Pa., where they remained until they came to Kansas, with the exception of one year in Butler County, Pa. Judge Locker was married at Locust Grove, April 23, 1867, to Emily C. Beeson, of Kentucky. They have seven children, Minerva Edith, George Elmer, Nora May, Ambrose Lewis, Homer Hardy, Elsie Arabel and Effie Isabel. The fourth named is a triplet; the last two twins. Four of their children have died - William Preston, Albert L., and Alfred L., in infancy, and Charles Elbert, at the age of ten and one-half years.
ISAAC LOEWENBERG, wholesale and retail millinery, hair goods, notions and fancy goods, No. 419 Commercial street. Came to Kansas during the spring of 1879, and for a time followed pack-peddling. In 1880 opened his present business on Fifth street, Atchison. During the spring of 1881 moved to 614 Commercial street; to 419 Commercial street this fall. He has the most extensive and complete line of millinery goods in the city, and during the year 1882 his trade amounted to $25,000. By this it will be seen that he is a live and energetic business man to have increased his trade to such an extent in so short a time. He was born in Prussia, at the city of Paderborn, Province of Westphalen, June 20, 1856. He came to the United States in 1874, locating first in New York City, where he was engaged with his elder brother in the wholesale glue business.
THOMAS C. LOGAN, engineer of the Atchison Water Company, is a Pennsylvanian, born in Meadville, October 9, 1847. Learned the engineer business in the Ottawa machine shops and foundry in Illinois, and for five years was engineer on the city fire engine of that place. In 1878 he came to Atchison, and from that time until he got his present situation, was engaged with Blair & Auld of the City Mills. Mr. L. is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married January 3, 1871, in Ottawa, Ill., to Miss Laura Phelps, of that place, who is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their family consists of four children: Harvey J., Charley, Burton B. and Lora A.
FREDERICK M. LOGEMAN, dealer in live stock, came to Kansas in the spring of 1878, and located in Atchison, where he has lived since. Mr. Logeman was born in Columbus, Columbia Co., Wis., November 1, 1852, and lived there until the year 1873. From there he went to Newton, Ia., where he was engaged five years in the live stock business. From Newton he came to Kansas. Mr. Logeman was married in the City of Atchison, May 12, 1881, to Miss Mary L. Weir, a native of Indiana.
JAMES A. LOPER, now County Treasurer of Atchison County, came to Kansas in 1866, working one year on a farm in Shannon Township, before coming to Atchison. On his arrival in the city, he entered the office of the Champion, serving the first year as "devil," at a starting salary of $100. After remaining three years as an apprentice, he was promoted to traveling agent and correspondent; then to foreman of newspaper department; to assistant manager and finally to business manager, which position he retained until he was elected County Treasurer in the fall of 1881. Mr. Loper was born in Elmer, N. J., September 28, 1846. He was educated in the common schools of his neighborhood, and on the 26th of April, 1871, was married to Miss Maggie H. Couch, of Mason County, W. Va. They have one child - Kittie H. Mr. Loper belongs to the orders of K. of P. and K. of H.
DAVID LUKENS, of Lukens & North, proprietors of the Diamond Mills, was born in Mifflen County, Pa., December 19, 1833. His parents died while he was young, and he was taken by an uncle to Perry County, where he received his schooling, and was taken by his uncle into a sawmill when twelve or fourteen years old. About 1855, he struck out for himself and went to Des Moines, Iowa, where he worked in a sawmill about two years. In 1857, settled in Atchison, Kas., where he was employed to run a sawmill. During the years 1860-61 and '62, he engaged in mining in Colorado, then returned to Atchison. In 1864, he purchased the sawmill he had previously been employed in, known as the "Pomeroy Mill," located at Winthrop, on the opposite side of the river from Atchison. From this time until 1877, he did a very large business in lumber, at the same time raising large crops of corn on the Missouri bottoms, some years as high as 10,000 bushels of corn, most of which he fed to his own teams. He returned in 1877, and the following year commenced the erection of the Diamond Mills. Mr. Lukens was married in Lancaster County, Pa., January 1 , 1868, to Miss Mary J. North, of that county. They have four children living - Arthur, Edwin, Mary and David Jr. Mr. L. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
EUGENE H. LEUTWEILER was born in Rochester, N. Y., September 21, 1850, and lived in his native town until 1863. He then moved to York, Pa., where he resided until 1865, then returned to Rochester and remained about three years. Then removed to Mississippi, engaged in merchantile business, and remained in the State until he came to Kansas, and located in Atchison, April 1879 . Soon after his arrival in the city, Mr. Leutweiler established a grocery store, which he carried on until the spring of 1882, being also Superintendent of the Street Railway until June 1882. While in Mississippi, he was member of the Legislature of that State, and for six years Deputy Chancery Clerk at Canton, Miss. He was married at Canton, June 17, 1873, to Edith Cadlen, of St. Louis, Mo. They have two children - John O. and Eugene, Jr. Mr. Leutweiler is Grand Reporter of the Knights of Honor, and Dictator of K. of H. Lodge, 1234. He is a member of Knights of Pythias.
SAMUEL McBRIDE, laborer, was born in Centre township, Atchison Co., Kas., April 9, 1858. A member of the Christian Church in Atchison, Mr. McBride has lived in Atchison County ever since his birth, excepting six months, when he was in Western Texas, engaged in railroading. He was reared on a farm near Pardee, and is a son of Thomas Crawford McBride and Mary Mason McBride, both natives of Tennessee. He discontinued farming March 27, 1881, when he went to Texas, returning from there August 1, 1881, and located at Atchison, entering the employ of A. B. Symons & Co., wholesale grocers, with whom he has been since. His parents now reside on the farm near Pardee, where they first located in 1854.
JAMES A. McCOLGIN, engineer on the Central Branch of the M. P. R. R.; residence No. 1429 Santa Fe street; was originally from Indiana; born October 9, 1839, in Morgan County. Began railroading on the Jeffersonville and Indianapolis road in 1861; his first position was that of fireman. In the spring of 1865, took charge of his first engine, but after running until the fall of the same year, he removed to Richmond, Ind., where he was engaged in a plow manufactory until 1870. He then came to Topeka, Kan., and for six years was in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. In 1878 the subject of this sketch commenced running for the Central Branch Union Pacific, since the Missouri Pacific has taken charge of it it is called C. B. Div. M. P., where he has since been engineer. In July, 1878, he ran into the washout one mile west of Palmer, but fortunately there was no one hurt, and this is the only accident he has had happen to him on the road that was of any consequence. Mr. McC is chief Engineer of the Locomotive Brotherhood, Division 164, and was one of the original members of the same. He married at Marengo, Iowa, February 28, 1878, Miss Addie C. Bullis, of that State.
ROBERT McCRIE, merchant tailor, was born in Bath, Somersetshire, England, December 31, 1830, and learned the tailor's trade in his native country. Emigrated to the United States in 1858, living first in Iowa City for one year, afterward in St. Joseph, Mo., nearly one year, and at the expiration of that time came to Atchison, commencing in business as a merchant tailor. He is one of the oldest merchants in the city and his trade has increased to a wonderful extent, owing to the industry and good management of the same, having, in addition to all his city trade, a great deal of custom work throughout the northwestern portion of the State. He has in his employ seven men. Mr. McCrie is a stockholder, and was for a number of years one of the directors of the Atchison National Bank.
SAMUEL S. McDONALD, Section Boss of the Missouri Pacific track in the yards; residence corner of Union and Commercial streets, West Atchison; is a native of New York State, born in Monroe County, May 4, 1837. He served three years as a soldier in the Rebellion with Company F, of the Eighty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and in 1863 was promoted to First Lieutenant, at the battle of Stone River; and later at the battle of Peach Tree Creek, was commissioned Captain, both for meritorious service. In 1869, Mr. McDonald began railroad constructing in Michigan, and was employed on various roads in that State until the spring of '79. Then came to Kansas and engaged with the M. P. R. R. Co., and has since been in their employ. In March, 1882, he was appointed to his present situation, where he has charge of about twenty miles of road, and the supervision of ten men. Mr. McDonald is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. Was married in Missouri in 1881 to Miss Sarah Godfrey.
DR. W. ADISON McKELVY, dentist, No. 703 Commercial street, became a resident of Atchison in November, 1880. Mr. McKelvy was born in Pittsburg, Pa., in 1858, and took a mathematical course at the State University, after which he entered the office of Dr. M. S. Burns of Sewickley, where he practiced dentistry two years. In the fall of 1878, became a student of the Philladelphia Dental College, where he graduated in the spring of 1880, and the remaining months between this and the removal to Atchison were devoted to the practice of his profession at Pittsburgh, Pa.
W. H. McNEIL, coal dealer, came to Atchison, September 15, 1875, and has been since that time engaged in coal business in the city, his office being 423 Commercial street, and yard the corner of Twelfth and Main. The firm of W. H. McNeil & Co. is composed of W. H. McNeil and A. A. Carey. The business is carried on in a large way, the sales being principally in Kansas, southern Nebraska and Colorado. Besides coal, the firm deals largely in lime, plaster, and all kinds of pipe, sewer, house and drain building material, etc.
ALEXANDER B. McQUEEN, painter, was born in Dumfries, Scotland, June 28, 1830. Emigrated to the United States and first settled in Cleveland, Ohio, where he learned his trade; but after living there six years, went to Racine County, Wis., where he made his home until his emigration to Kansas in 1858. Opened a paint shop at Atchison, which was the first one in the city, and has done business here ever since. In 1860 he served in the State Militia; he has been Councilman for two years, and a member of the School Board; was also treasurer of the American Bible Society of Atchison for a number of years. Mr. McQueen was married at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1854, to Miss Sarah M. Fryar, formerly from New York State and of English descent. They are members of the Presbyterian Church.
CHARLES MAAGE, general merchandise store. This old and well known pioneer is a native of Germania, and was born in the city of Elbing, Prussia, December 15, 1830; was educated, reared and learned the carpenter and millwright trade in his native country. When twenty years of age, he visited most all the principal cities in Europe, and then came to this country, where he first settled in Quincy, Ill., where he worked in a furniture factory until 1856; then came to Kansas, locating in Atchison, then a small village. He engaged in the building of houses, mills, etc., and many of the best houses in the county were built by him. He assisted in building the first water-power mill, in the then Territory, on Independence Creek, eight miles northwest of Atchison; then built a large water-power mill, saw and grist mill combined, in Cooper County, Mo.; also built a large number of houses and other buildings in Missouri. For a number of years during the winter months, he would go into southern Missouri, work all winter, and then return in the spring. He eventually engaged in the boot, shoe, and leather trade in Atchison, between Fourth and Fifth streets on Commercial, and for two years did a prosperous business. The memorable and destructive fire of 1868, burned him out, by which he lost his accumulation of fifteen years, owing to the fact that the insurance company he was insured in had become insolvent about that time. He was obliged to commence at the bottom round again, and did so for several years; worked as a salesman in a lumber yard, and when, in 1875, he had a small amount saved, he built a store house on Main street, his present location, where he engaged in the general merchandise business, in which he had been eminently successful. There are few business men in Atchison that have more substantial friends than Charles Maage, nor is there a more happy and contented family to be found than his. He was married in Quincy, Ill., July 15, 1863, to Miss Henrieta Wilms, by Rev. H. Ellerback. They have seven children - Frederick William, born June 1, 1865; Charles Henry, born March 16, 1867; Emma Dorethea, born January 2, 1869, and died September 11, 1869; Frances Lillian, born August 7, 1870; Anna Clara, born August 16, 1873; Emma Frances, born February 3, 1876; Danel Dolph, born October 27, 1879; Albert Horton, born May 1, 1882. Mr. Maage is a charter member of Schiller Lodge, I. O. O. F.; formerly was a member of Friendship Lodge and has occupied several offices of honor and trust in both lodges.
H. G. MACAULAY, lawyer, came to Kansas, May, 1878; located in Marysville, and remained there about a year, during which time he taught school and read law. In September, 1879, he completed his course at law reading in the office of Mills & Wells of Atchison, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1880. He has since been practicing his profession in Atchison County. Mr. Macaulay is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Westmoreland County, November 7, 1857. He remained in Ligonier, his native town, until his eleventh year, when he entered the preparatory department of St. Vincent's College and four years later was admitted to the collegiate department, and graduated therefrom, June 25, 1876. The same year came West, and for eighteen months was in the employ of the U. S. Government in the Indian Territory. From that point came to Kansas. Mr. Macaulay is a young gentleman of more than ordinary ability, and since his debut in Atchsion, his services have been almost constantly in demand. He is destined in the near future to be recognized as one of the prominent practitioners of northeastern Kansas. He was married on the 8th of June, 1882, to Miss Annie Sussman, a native of Allentown, Pa.
J. W. MARSHALL, SR., member of firm of Marshall & Park, proprietors of planing mill, sash, door and blind factory, was born in Plattsburg, N. Y., October 18, 1842. His parents moved to a point near Toronto, Canada, when he was an infant; was educated in Canada, and engaged in the merchantile business until 1862, when he moved to Alpena, Mich., where he acted for a time as bookkeeper in a sash, door and blind factory, after a time purchasing an interest in the business, remaining there until 1878, in which year he settled in Atchison, Kan. He was married in Grey county, Canada, September 3, 1865, to Miss Sarah McSorley, of that county. They have four children - W. James, Myrtle M. J., Geo. W., St. Claire. Mr. M. is a member of the M. E. Church, and Washington Lodge, No. 5, A. F. & A. M.