|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JACKSON - KURTH).
T. H. JACKSON, inventor and manufacturer of the "Common Sense Liniment," has a laboratory in Atchison, where said liniment is prepared, but he is constantly on the road introducing the liniment. This liniment is fast becoming popular, being first put on market in 1879, and the manufacture of it is rapidly growing to be one of the leading industries of the thriving city of Atchison. The sale of it is extended throughout Missouri, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska. Mr. Jackson is also the inventor and proprietor of "Jackson's Renovating Powders" and the "Common Sense Colic Cure," both of which are excellent preparations and deserving of attention by all needing their healing properties.
OSCAR JANSSEN, senior member of the firm of Janssen & Freyschlag, wholesale notions, came to Atchison in 1879 and entered business with the firm of G. L. Florence & Co., composed of G. L. Florence and E. W. Freyschlag. The firm was then known as Florence, Janssen & Co., Mr. Freyschlag remaining as third partner until January, 1882, when the other members bought out Mr. Florence, and established the firm under its present name. The business of Messrs. Janssen & Freyschlag is very extensive, amounting to from $75,000 to $100,000 per year. They run four notion wagons throughout Kansas and Nebraska, employing seven men. They are also gentlemen well-calculated to increase an already large and lucrative trade. He was born in Germany, at Frankfort-on-the-Main, February 27, 1830. Emigrated to America in 1851, and during the first seven years operated a retail fancy goods store at Chillicothe, Ohio, and during the Rebellion was connected with the Ohio National Gurads. In 1865 Mr. Janssen removed to St. Louis, Mo., where for fourteen years he was in the hop and brewery supply trade, being a member of the well-known firm of Charles F. Hermann & Co. His wife was Thekla Susenbeth, a native of the same part of Germany as himself, whom he married at Buffalo, N. Y., in 1854. Their family is composed of five boys and two girls.
ISAAC S. JELF, harness and saddlery, was originally from Kentucky, born in Woodford County, December 21, 1821. His father died when he was but a small child, and when eight years old he removed with his mother to Indianapolis, Ind. At the time of the California mining excitement in 1852, Mr. Jelf thought he would try his fortune in the Far West, but two years later returned to his former home. During the spring of 1856, he came west to Kansas, and took a claim of 160 acres in Mt. Pleasant Township, where he resided improving his land for seven years, at the expiration of which time he moved to Atchison and opened a harness shop, being now one of the oldest dealers in the city. He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for more than thirty-five years. His wife was Miss Emma Stops, of Illinois, whom he married October, 1867. They are parents of two sons - John W. and James T.
H. N. JEWETT, of the firm of Howell, Jewett & Co., located in Atchison in January, 1879, becoming a member of the present firm in January, 1882. He is a native of Ft. Madison, Lee County, Iowa. In 1872 he removed to Chicago, and engaged in the lumber business in that city, since 1874 having been associated with Mr. Howell. They are now carrying on an extensive wholesale lumber business in Atchison, their sales extending to Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas, and their business in 1881 amounted to $611,095, nearly doubling in one year.
HERMAN JOCHEMS, dealer in hardware, stoves and tinware, came to Kansas, June 4, 1861, and located in Atchison, where he lived for fifteen years, and then removed to Winfield, Cowley County, where he was engaged in his present business five years, when he returned to Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. Jochems, by his sagacity, industry and business tact, has succeeded in building up an immense business, and is rated as one of the "solid" men of Atchison. He was born in Cleve, Prussia, April 16, 1847, and lived in the city of his birth until his thirteenth year, when his parents emigrated to America and settled in Atchison, where they now live. Mr. Jochems was married in Atchison, May 21, 1871, to Miss Crezentea Ostertag, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. They have seven children living, whose names are as follows: Margurite, Elizabeth, Johannah, Herman, Albertina, Carl and Wilhelm.
B. F. JOHNSON, M. D., physician and surgeon, located in Mount Pleasant, Atchison Co., Kan., May 10, 1870, residing there until his removal to the city of Atchison in January, 1880, since which time he has continuously practiced in that place. Dr. Johnson was born in Georgetown, Ky., his early education being in the schools of that city. He afterwards attended the St. Louis Medical College four years, and also the Missouri Medical College, graduating from the latter in March, 1860. He commenced the practice of his profession a year later - March, 1861, at Platte City, Platte Co., Mo. Dr. Johnson is a member of the State Medical Society, a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the I. O. O. F. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., March, 1870, to Malvina Hartman, a native of Indiana. Their two children are Garland and Theresa.
G. H. T. JOHNSON, M. D., physician and surgeon, one of the old homoeopathic physicians of Atchison, located in this place March 4, 1867, as a partner of Dr. J. A. Rubicon, taking charge of a portion of his practice. He remained with Dr. Rubicon until the fall of 1868, when he went to St. Louis and graduated February 25, 1869, from the Homoeopathic Medical College of Missouri. Had previously studied medicine in St. Louis, Mo., and Cleveland, Ohio, and attended a full course of lectures in each of these cities. Is also a member of the American Institute of Homoepathy. In 1875 he was elected President of the Kansas State Medical Society, and in 1876 attended as delegate the World Homoeopathic Convention at Philadelphia. He was two years a member of the Kansas State Board of Medical Examiners, and has been for the last three years Treasurer of the Kansas State Homoeopathic Medical Society. March 10, 1881, Dr. Johnson was honored with the degree of Ad Eundem, conferred by the St. Louis College of Homoeopathic Physicians and Surgeons. The doctor is a member of the orders of A., F. & A. M., K. of P., A. O. U. W., and I. O. O. F., having been a representative from the latter order to the Grand Lodge. He was married at Atchison, June 2, 1869, to Drusilla G. Bowman, a native of Brownsville, and daughter of Capt. G. W. Bowman, one of the pioneers of Atchison, and a member of the Old Town Company. Capt. Bowman died in Atchison, in August, 1869. Has been for many years a prominent Republican, and delagate to city and county conventions.
W. C. JOHNSON of H. B. Salis & Co., Manager of the Union Depot Hotel, was born near Aurora, Dearborn Co., Ind., December 11, 1847. he was educated in his native country at Moore's Hill Male and Female Institute. After leaving school was engaged in the grain business until about 1876, then took a position as traveling salesman for a St. Louis carriage manufacturing establishment. In 1878 he settled in Solomon City, Kan., where he engaged in grain business under firm name of W. C. Johnson & Co. An interest he still retains. Came to Atchison in January, 1882, to open the depot hotel. Mr. J. was married in Vincennes, Ind., October 1, 1867, to Miss Eliza D. Kuykendall. They have two children - Fannie and William.
DAVID D. JOHNSTON, dealer in fine groceries, corner of Ninth and Kearney streets, came with his parents to Kansas in 1859, and lived on a farm eight miles west of Atchison. Some years afterward commenced running an express wagon in the city, and after abandoning that, clerked, and followed various occupations until August, 1879. At this time established his present business, at which he has done exceedingly well, his trade continually increasing. Mr. Johnston was born in Scotland near the city of Borstnest, April 24, 1849. Came to America when but a small boy with his parents, William and Elizabeth Johnston, living in Utah until their location here. He married May 20, 1872, in Atchison, Miss Trachia Aull.
WILLIAM STURGIS JONES, keeper of restaurant, came to Kansas in September, 1877 and located in Atchison where he has since lived and carried on business. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. During the late war, Capt. Jones commanded his own steamer "Little Dorritt," and rendered efficient aid to the Government. He also at one time commanded the steamers "Tom Swan" and the "Bluff City. " Capt. Jones was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, August 14, 1838, and lived in his native place until his fourteenth years, when he became a pilot of the Muskingum River. At this employment he continued for eighteen years. In 1863, Capt. Jones was appointed Librarian of the State of Minnesota, by Gov. Miller, which position he held three years. After this he ran the steamer "War Eagle," between La Crosse and St. Paul; then was engaged in farming and rearing fine-blooded horses, at Owatonna, Minn. From the latter place he went to California, where he remained a couple of years, and then returned to Kansas City, and from there to Fayetteville, Ark., where he remained about a year and was engaged in the furniture business. From Fayetteville he came to Atchison. Capt. Jones was married July 3, 1875, to Miss Mary Norton, a native of Des Moines, Iowa.
REV. PETER KASSENS, O. S. B., parish priest of Atchison Parish, came to Kansas, October 4, 1863, and located in Atchison, at St. Benedict's College. He is a member of the Benedictine order, spiritual adviser of the Catholic Knights of America; of the St. Joseph Benevolent Society and of the Irish Catholic Benevolent Society; director of the Young Ladies' and Young Mens' Sodalities, and principal of the Parochial school attached to St. Benedict's Parish. Father Kassens was born in the Province of Osnabrueck, of the then Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, May 28, 1841, and lived in his native place until September 17, 1858, when he came to the United States and located in Vincennes, Ind., where he remained four years, and was engaged in shoemaking; thence he went to St. Louis, where he remained one year and one half, and then went to St. Benedict's College at Atchison, where he remained and prosecuted his studies for two years and then went to St. Vincent's, Pennsylvania, where he remained one year in the novitiate of the order, and then returned to Atchison where he continued his studies for one year; then went to St. Louis where he attended Jones Commercial College, to fit himself for the profession of bookkeeper, and then again went to St. Vincent to prosecute his theological studies, and remained there two years. He then again returned to St. Benedict's and became professor of bookkeeping and mathematics at this institution until 1875, when he performed one year's missionary work in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska; and then again became professor at St. Benedict's of the same branches he had taught previously. April, 1881, he was appointed parish priest of Atchison Parish, which position he holds at present.
W. J. KEHLER, butcher, West Main street. This gentleman was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 7, 1850. His father, Dr. J. S. Kehler, came to Atchison County, with his family, locating here at an early day, and was one of the first practitioners in northeastern Kansas, He was very favorably known for a long distance around the city; was Coroner of the county for a time. He was a surgeon in the army, for the Second Colorado Regiment, which was afterward consolidated with the Second, and served all through the Rebellion. His death occurred in Atchison, in 1869. W. J. Kehler was reared and educated in Atchison, learned the butcher's trade which he has principally followed. In the season of 1882, he built a fine building on West Main street where he carried on a flourishing business being one of the most popular dealers in the city. He was married in 1876, to Miss Sophie McNamara, daughter of one of Atchison's oldest and most respected citizens, who was born in Kansas in 1855. They have had three children, Grace and Elizabeth, and Walter, deceased.
A. KEITHLINE, farmer and stock-breeder, four and one-half miles west of Atchison, on Parallel road, was born near Wilkesbarre, Luzerne Co., Pa., in 1822, and was raised on a farm. In 1848, went to Minnesota and engaged in lumbering for a short time, when he worked at the carpenter's trade. In 1850, returned to Beach Haven, Pa., and clerked in a general store until the winter of 1855, when he moved to White Pidgeon, Mich., where he clerked in the Farmer's Union Store until the spring of 1859, when he moved to Atchison, Kan., where he clerked for Walter Bros. until 1864. That year he moved to his farm, then a piece of wild land, but now one of the best farms in Shannon Township. It comprises 160 acres, all under cultivation, and sixty acres of pasture. He has fifteen acres in fruit trees and two acres in walnut trees, and two and one-half miles of hedge. He has been engaged in breeding fine stock. He was married November 5, 1854, to Miss Rosetta Warner, at Beach Haven, Pa., and has two children, Gilbert D. and Cora C. Was a member of the Sixteenth Regiment Kansas Militia during 1863-64, and was called out to repel Price when on his raid in 1864. He is a member of the Washington Lodge, No. 5, A., F. & A. M., Atchison.
J. S. KELLOGG, of the firm Bowman & Kellogg, proprietors of the Central Mills, was born in West Stockbridge, Berkshire Co., Mass., June 12, 1830. His parents moved to Binghamton, N. Y., when he was two years old, and about 1838 settled in Columbia County, N. Y., where he received his education. At an early age he commenced clerking in mercantile business, in which he continued about two years; then went to New York City in same occupation. About 1856, he engaged in business in Massachusetts and in 1859, moved to St. Joseph, Mo., where he became connected with the construction of what was then known as the "Platte Country Railroad," now the K. C., St. J. & C. B. R. R. He held the position of auditor, and was afterward appointed assistant superintendent. About 1873, he became connected with the Central Branch R. R., in 1875 resigned and settled in Jackson County, Kan., where he continued engaged in farming until he bought an interest in the Central Mills in 1879. Mr. Kellogg was married in Waterville, Oneida Co., N. Y., December 11, 1857, to Miss Osborn of Waterville. They have five children, James, John, Waldo, Wallace and Henry. Mr. Kellogg is a member of the Episcopal Church.
MICHAEL F. KELLY, foreman of the Missouri Pacific Copper Shops, residence 1638 Commercial street. Was formerly a resident of Utica, N. Y., where he was born August 1, 1844. After learning the trade of coppersmith he removed to Chicago, Ill., in 1863, and went to work in the railroad shops of the Chicago and Alton, where he afterward became foreman, having between four and five men under his supervision. In 1871, Mr. Kelly removed to Little Rock, Ark., and was there employed in the copper department of the Iron Mountain railroad shop as foreman of the same, and here he remained until his removal to Atchison, which occurred in 1879, when he accepted his present position. Mr. K. has had a great many years' experience in this line of work, and careful attention and study have perfected him in all details of the same. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., both of Friendship Lodge No. 5, and Hesperian Encampment No. 6. He was married in Utica, N. Y., in 1863, to Miss Agnes McCarty, of that city. Their family consists of four sons and one daughter.
KETCHUM & CO., steam saw-mill. Present firm organized in 1878. It consists of William Ketchum and Mr. Kring. They employ about twenty-five hands in all, both in mill and woods, and cut about 10,000 feet daily of native timber. Mr. Ketchum, senior member of the firm, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., April 7, 1842. His parents settled in Will County, Ill., in the same year, and here the subject of this sketch was educated, and remained until 1851, when he settled in Atchison, Kansas, where he engaged in lumber business under firm name of Jones & Co. This firm had one of the first saw-mills built in the city. Since that time Mr. Ketchum has been actively engaged in this line of business. He also operated for some nine years large mills in Eastern Texas, which he has since sold. He was married in Atchison, November 17, 1873, to Miss Hattie Kipp, of Atchison. They have two children - William and Edith. Mr. K. is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the A. F. & A. M.
L. KIPER & SONS, wholesale hides and leather. There are but few institutions in the city of Atchison that have had a more substantial growth than the above house. It was established in 1863, by L. Kiper. Commencing in a small way, it has steadily developed, until at this date (1882), the business done by this establishment throughout Kansas and Southern Nebraska, will compare with any house in the great Northwest. Mr. L. Kiper, the head of the firm, is a native of Germany, and was born in Prussia, September 18, 1829, where he attained his twenty-first year. He learned the shoemakers' trade in his native country and pursued that vocation in New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland and other cities, and in 1858, came to Kansas, locating in Douglas County, where he opened a shop, and did business until the spring of 1863, when he became identified with the commercial interests of Atchison, making his debut as a buyer of wool, hides, etc. By his sterling business qualifications and close attention to his legitimate pursuits, he was very successful, and in 1868, established and commenced the wholesale leather business. Mr. K. is recognized as one of Atchison's most worthy and respected citizens. He has always been prominent in contributing toward any commendable enterprise that would further the interests of his adopted city. He has never been a political aspirant, preferring the bustle of business to official honors. However, at the present time, he is serving as one of the Commissioners of Atchison County. When he made his advent in Kansas, at an early day he took up the gauntlet in favor of the Free State. Mr. K. belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and to the Council of Atchison, of which he is a charter member. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Knights of Honor. He married in 1851, Miss Yette Hechburg, of Germany. By this union they have six children -Julius, Herman, Bluma, Charles, David and Hannah. The four sons are live and sterling business men, and all interested in the business, which comprises the firm of L. Kiper & Sons.
J. W. KIRKHAM, machine-pressed brick manufacturer, Atchison, Kansas. Was born in England. in 1833. At an early age his parents emigrated to America, and settled in Texas. In 1850 to '53, worked at the painter's trade. In 1854 engaged in contracting and building, at Mount Pleasant, Texas; also engaged in making brick, at that place, and continued in the business until 1862, when on account of the war, salt being very scarce, he engaged in manufacturing salt. In 1863, fearing that he would be compelled to enter the Confederate army, he left his property and his family started for Kansas, and after many hardships they succeeded in reaching Leavenworth with $1. 50 in good money. Shortly after his arrival there, he opened a photography gallery, which business he followed until 1881, when he was appointed Acting Superintendent of the Leavenworth railroad bridge, and in 1882 came to this place, and in company with John F. Price, began the manufacturing of machine-pressed brick on an extensive scale, and have facilities for the making of three to four million brick during the season, and employ twenty hands. Was married in 1857, at Mount Pleasant, Texas, to Miss Fannie Price, who died in 1864, leaving two children. In 1871, was married to Miss Katie Underwood, at Leavenworth, Kansas, and has four children. Is a member of King Solomon Lodge, No. 10, A. F. & A. M., Leavenworth, and has been Secretary for ten years. Is a member of the Grand Lodge, I. O. O. F., and also the Grand Encampment. Belongs to Ivanhoe Lodge, K. of P., Leavenworth.
JOHN H. KIRKMAN, foreman of manufacturing department of F. Howard & Co., was born in New York City, September 29, 1839. Received his education in the city. In 1859, he commenced learning the trade of cutter in the establishment in New York, and has since that time been uninterrupted in the business. In July, 1881, he moved to Atchison, Kansas, to organize this department for H. & Co., in which he has made a marked success.
CHARLES H. KNAUSS, painter, came to Kansas, June 12, 1878, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived, and followed his trade. Mr. Knauss is a member of G. A. R., P. O. S. of A., and I. O. O. F. He was in the army during the late war, and was a member of Company B, Forty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry. He enlisted in Allentown, Pa., September 2, 1861, and was mustered out of the service October 10, 1863, at Key West, Fla.; re-enlisted in the same regiment at Key West, Fla., October 12, 1863, and was finally mustered out of the service of the United States, December 25, 1865, at Charleston, S. C. He participated in all the engagements of his command and was severely wounded at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va., October 19, 1864. Mr. Knauss was born in Allentown, Pa., November 27, 1841, and lived in his native place until he entered the army. After his discharge he returned to Allentown, and lived there until he came to Kansas. He was married November 20, 1864, in Allentown, Pa., to Miss Amanda R. Butz, a native of Allentown. They have three children living whose names are - Harry R., Lillian S., Claude E. Mr. Knauss' wife died in Atchison, September 23, 1878.
MORRIS P. KOCH, shipping clerk Regneir & Shoup, queensware establishment, came to Kansas, March 15, 1877, and located in Seneca, Nemaha County, where he remained about two years, when he came to Atchison, where he has lived, employed as a shipping clerk in the extensive queensware establishment of Regneir & Shoup. Mr. Koch was born in Allentown, Pa., August 29, 1858, and lived there until his eleventh years, when his parents moved to Sidney, Shelby Co., Ohio., where they lived for two years when the returned to Allentown, where the subject of this sketch lived about eight years , when he came to Kansas.
CHARLES H. KREBS was born in Orwigsburg Landing, Schuylkill Co., Pa., February 23, 1835. His parents removed, when he was one year old, to Pottsville, in the same county, where he was raised and received his education. In September, 1854 , he removed to Fremont, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Atchison in 1868. While at Fremont, he was a member of the Ohio National Guards of the State Militia, being Captain of Company E, of the One Hundredth Regiment. On locating in Atchison in March, 1868, Mr. Krebs engaged as bookkeeper and cashier of the Land Department of the C. BB. U. P. Ry., which position he held about three years, and then became general accountant of the road. The latter position he retained until 1874, when he entered upon the duties of County Clerk, having been elected to that office in the fall of 1873. He was subsequently re-elected, and now holds the position. During a part of 1872-7, he was a member of the Board of Aldermen from the Third Ward. February 1, 1882, he engaged in real estate, loan and abstract business in partnership with J. O. Peebler. He was married at Fremont, Ohio, February 1, 1858, to Violetta Kridler, of Fremont. Their three children are Minnie, Rolia C. and LeRoy. Col. Krebs is a member of I. O. O. F., having been Grand Master of the State from October, 1880, to October, 1881. He is Oast Chief patriarch of the Encampment, and Past Chancellor of the K. of P.; is also a member of the K. of H.
CHARLES F. KROENING, family grocery store, corner Main and Fifteenth streets, came to Atchison in October, 1877, starting a commission business on Fifth street, but in '79 quit that and opened a grocery store as above. Mr. Kroening was born in Prussia, near Slettine, June 10, 1838; came to the United States with his parents in 1851, locating in Ozaukee County, Wis., where they farmed. Charles F. went to Chicago some years later, where he was engaged first in the milk trade, then as a grocer, afterward in a commission house, and finally in a grocery store again until 1877. He was married there in 1866 to Miss Sophia Rintelmann, born in Hanover, Germany. They are members of the German Lutheran Church, and have a family of eight children, among them only one boy.
F. L. KRUSEMARK, foreman of the coach department, M. P. shops, was born in Holstein, Germany, September 10, 1839. After finishing his schooling, he was apprenticed to the house carpentering trade; served three years at home and then spent four years in travel, working at his trade in Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Russia, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, devoting some time to studying his trade in the capitals of each. He then returned home and worked at his trade until the breaking out of war with Germany. He enlisted in the Danish army and participated in all the principal engagements. On the close of the war he returned home, and in November, 1865, took passage in the ship "Washington" for the United States. The vessel was dismasted, and did not get into New York City until January, 1866. He then settled in La Porte, Ind., where he was engaged for ten years in the car department of the Lake Shore Railroad. When the shops were moved he engaged in house carpentering, until disabled by a fall of 157 feet from a church steeple. On his recovery, he moved to Kansas; was appointed to his present position in 1879. He was married in La Porte, Ind., to Miss Ottele Streng, a native of Bavaria. She died in Atchison, leaving three children - Ida, Fred and Julia. Mr. K. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the I. O. O. F.
JOHN B. KURTH, head salesman with C. Weber, clothing merchant, came to Leavenworth, Kan., with his parents in 1855. His father, John B. Kurth, started in the furniture line, and was one of the first merchants in that city. The subject of this sketch remained at home until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted with the First Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years in the same regiment, his time expiring in June, 1864. In '65 he came to Atchison and engaged with C. Weber, in whose employ he has been ever since. The subject of this sketch is a native of Prussia, born in the city of Cologne, February 14, 1844. At the time of the Great Revolution in 1848, which caused so many intelligent Germans to emigrate to America, he came with his parents, first locating at St. Louis, but in 1855 removed to Leavenworth, Kan., where one year later, his father and an elder brother were taken prisoners by the Pro-slavery party, and his mother and three children were put aboard a boat and compelled to leave, being landed at St. Louis. His father soon afterward escaped.