|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HOENSCHEIDT - IVERS).
JOHN HOENSCHEIDT, editor and proprietor of the Kansas Staats Anzeiger, was born in 1848 in Neiderdollendorf, a town situated on the river "Rhein" in Prussia, Germany. He graduated at the Freidrich Wilhelm's Gymnasium at Cologne, Germany, in 1863; then visited the Polytechnic school at the same place from which he graduated in 1866; from this up to 1868 he was engaged on the Rheinische Eisenbahn (Rhine R. R.) as civil engineer. In May, 1868, he emigrated to this country, landing in New York, May 15, 1868, from there he came direct to Leavenworth, Kansas; here he followed his profession of architect until 1870, when he went to Greenwood, Butler Co., and engaged in farming and stock raising until 1878, when he moved to Winfield, Kan., following his profession as architect and civil engineer. He held several public offices, among them that of City Engineer, District Clerk, and Justice of the Peace. By the formation of a company of artillery of the State Militia, called Battery No. 1, Kansas Militia, he was commissioned as First Lieutenant. In August, 1880, he bought a half interest in the Kansas Staats Anzeiger, a German weekly newspaper, of nine column folio, 28X44 in size and with a circulation of nearly 2,000, at that time published at Topeka, Kan., now published at Atchison, Kan., of which paper he then took charge as editor. Having bought out the interest of his partner, a Mr. P. Schmitz, he finally moved his paper to Atchison where it is now published, enlarged to a six column quarto, 30X46 inches in size, with a present circulation of over 3,000. He married in 1869, in Leavenworth, Kan., Miss R. Ebenhack. His family consists to-day, besides himself, of his wife and two children, a girl named Maggie, and a boy named Willie. He is a member of the Atchison Turnverein, Schiller Lodge, No. 33, I. O. O. F., and Winfield Lodge, No. 18, A. O. U. W., in which societies he has held several offices.
M. PAUL HOFFMAN, book-keeper, came to Kansas in June, 1877, and located in Atchison, where he has lived since. He is a member of Atchison Turnverein, of which association he is secretary: a member of the Harugari Society and of the Knights of Pythias of Allentown, Pa. Mr. Hoffman was born in the city of Berlin, Prussia, September 21, 1847, and lived in his native city until his seventeenth year, when he came to America, and located in New York City, where he lived six years, and was salesman for his father, Richard P. Hoffman, in the wholesale furniture business. From New York he went to Philadelphia, where he lived two years and was in the same business. From there he went to Emaus, Lehigh County, Pa., where he secured a position as book-keeper in the iron works at that place, which position he held for eight years, and then went to Easton where he lived about one year, and was engaged in making vinegar. From Easton he came to Kansas. Married in August, 1871, to Miss Lillie Sussman, a native of Easton, Pa. They have three children living, whose names are: Amelia, Paul R., Louise.
CHARLES HOLBERT, a native of Monroe, Orange County, N. Y., came to Kansas and located at Atchison in May, 1857. He then engaged in the banking business with H. L. Davis, with whom he remained until 1861, during which year he served as City marshall. In the fall of 1862, in company with Major Grimes, he was engaged in the Quartermaster's Department of the army, and stationed for three years at Rolia, Mo. From Rolia he was removed to Fort Leavenworth, from whence after a short stay of three months, he returned to his home, where he remained until February, 1866. He was then stationed at Salt Lake with Major Grimes, and at the expiration of one year was transferred to Fort Laramie, where he remained until June, 1868. Returning to Atchison he embarked in the furniture business, which he carried on until 1874. From 1876 to June, 1878, he was in St. Louis with his old partner, Major Grimes, and for the two succeeding years with the Central Branch Railroad Company. Since that time he has been employed by Moulton & Yates, as clerk and collector. Mr. Holbert was born December 2, 1831. At the age of fourteen he removed from his home in Monroe to New York City, where he remained until he came to Kansas, in 1857. In 1853 he was married in New York City to Miss Ellen Neiligan, a native of Ireland. Their children are, William B., Anna A., Ida, Clifton B. and Adrian D. Mr. Holbert is a member of the Knights of Honor; was County Treasurer in 1858 and '59; was Alderman during the first and second terms of the City Council, and was a member of the School Board four years.
DANIEL J. HOLLAND, M. D., physician and surgeon, located in Atchison in September, 1877. He was born February 5, 1853, at Sharon, Ohio, of Huguenot ancestry, but received his early education in North Carolina, where he lived until the fall of 1864. At that time he went to Nazareth, Pa., graduating from Nazareth Hall, Northampton County, three years later. He then pursued his medical studies at Philadelphia, graduating from Jefferson Medical College in that city, March, 1876, and remaining in Philadelphia as resident physician and surgeon at the city hospital until his removal to Atchison. Dr. Holland is a member of the State Medical Society, and Grand Chancellor of the K. of P. His time and attention are entirely devoted to his profession, he being now a surgeon for the Burlington and Missouri, in Nebraska, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific, the Missouri Pacific, and the Atchison, Topekas and Santa Fe roads. Possessing a thorough mastery of his profession, added to native adaptedness to its practice, Dr. Holland, although young, stands to-day the peer of any surgeon in the State. He was married December, 1877, to Mary E. Prunty, a native of Jacksonville, Ill. Their children are, Frank H. and Wm. L.
CHARLES A. HOOPER, druggist, came to Kansas in the fall of the year 1879, and located at Atchison, where he has lived since. Mr. H. is a member of Castalia Lodge, I. O. Good Templars, of the city of Atchison, and of the Home Social Club. He was born in Decatur, Adams County, Ind., September 29, 1860, and lived in his native place until his eleventh year, when his parents moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., where he lived until his sixteenth year, when he went to St. Mary's College at South Bend, Ind., where he remained for two years pursuing his studies, and from there went to Valparaiso, Ind., where he remained for six months, taking a commercial course in the Northern Indiana Normal College; at the expiration of this time he went to Chicago, where for eight months he was in the employ of Dr. Rose, of that city. From Chicago he came to Kansas. Mr. Hooper is at present (June, 1882), connected with the large wholesale drug house of John W. Allen & Co., where he holds an important position. His father is a lawyer, and resides at Fort Wayne, Ind.
CHIEF JUSTICE HORTON. The antiquity of the Horton family is established by the fact that one Robert de Horton manumitted a bondman to his manor of Horton, long before the time of Henry Larey, Earl of Lincoln, who died in 1310. It is also ascertained that the Hortons had a manor house in Great Horton, at a remote period. The word Horton, in the Anglo-Saxon language, means an exclosure, or garden of vegetables. It is said to be derived from ort and tun, ort meaning plant and tun enclosed. The name is evidently of latin origin and has been known in England ever since the conquest of Caesar. The Horton coat-of-arms in England is as follows: a stag's head cabossed, silver; attired, gold; and for distinction, a cantone ermine. Crest, out of the waves of the sea proper, a tilting spear erect,gold; enfiled with a dolphin, sliver finned, gold, and charged with a shell. The motto, "Quod vult, valde vult:" What he wills he wills cordially and without stint. William Horton, Esq., of Frith House in Barksland, Halifax, descended from the above mentioned Robert Horton. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Hanson, Esq., of Toothill and died about 1640. He had issue as follows: William Horton, of Barksland, or Bark Island Hall, who purchased in the fifteenth of Charles I, the estate of Howroyde, was born about 1576; Joseph Horton, born about 1578. Barnabas Horton, the ancestor of the Horton family in America, was the son of Joseph Horton, above mentioned, and was born in the little hamlet of Mously, Leicestershire, on the 13th of July (old style), 1600. He came over in the ship "Swallow," between 1633 and '38, and landed at Hampton. Mass. In 1640, he came to New Haven, Conn., and on the 21st day of October, 1640, assisted by the venerable Rev. John Davenport and Gov. Eaton, organized themselves into a Congregational Church and sallied to the east end of Long Island, now Southold. They had all been members of Puritan churches in England. He built the first frame dwelling house ever erected on the east of Long Island, and that house, in 1876, was still standing and occupied. He died at Southold, on the 13th day of July, 1680, aged eighty years. This Barnabas Horton is known in the history of the Horton family as "Barnabas, the old Puritan. " He was a man of sincere piety, and a warm advocate of civil and religious freedom. His third son was born in the autumn of 1640, and was called Caleb. He settled at Cutchoque, Southold Township, Long Island, and died October 3, 1702. Caleb's first child was born September 23, 1666, and was named Barnabas, after the "Old Puritan. " Barnabas, number two, had a second son who was also named Barnabs, who was born in Southold, Long Island, about 1690. In 1732, he moved to Goshen, N. Y. The fifth son of Barnabas the third was born in Southold, Long Island, in 1730, and was named Silas. The sixth child of Silas was born the 30th of June, 1770, in Goshen, N. Y., and was also called Barnabas. He married in 1794, Millicent Howell, and dies October 24, 1823, in Minnisink, Orange County, N. Y. The third child of Barnabas the fourth was born in Goshen, N. Y., February 1, 1800, and was named Harvey. He was married to Mary Bennett, and died May 10, 1840. His children were as follows: Harvey Addison, born March 13, 1832; Millicent Ellen, born September 3, 1833, and Albert Howell, born March 12, 1837. Dr. Harvey Horton was an educated and skillful physician, and practiced his profession with success in Minnisink and the adjoining towns, and enjoyed the confidence of all who knew him. His son, Harvey Addison, was instantly killed September 3, 1861, by the fall of a bridge with a train of cars upon it, one of which he was in, which spanned the Little Platte River, nine miles east of St. Joseph, Mo. The bridge had been partly burned by the Confederates, but left standing, ready to fall when the cars came upon it. Millicent Ellen died March 24, 1841. Albert Howell Horton, the subject of this sketch, is the second son of Dr. Harvey Horton and Mary Bennett. He was born near Brookfield, in the town of Minnisink, Orange Co., N. Y., March 12, 1837. He attended the public schools of West Town, N. Y., until thirteen years of age, and then was prepared for college at the "Farmers' Hall Academy," at Goshen, Orange Co., N. Y. In 1855, entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich., as a freshman, and remained two years, but was obliged to leave college on account of inability to study, owing to an affection of the eyes. In 1858, he entered the law office of Hon. J. W. Gott, at Goshen, N. Y., as a law student, and remained there until December 15, 1858, when he was admitted as a counselor and attorney-at-law, at a general term of the Supreme Court, held in Brooklyn, N. Y. In 1859, he came West, with his brother, Dr. Harvey A. Horton, and selected Atchison, Kan., as his home, and has resided there ever since. In 1860, he was appointed the City Attorney of Atchison by the Mayor, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of the elected City Attorney. In the Spring of 1861, he was elected City Attorney of the city, upon the Republican ticket. In September, 1861, he was appointed District Judge of the Second Judicial District of the State of Kansas, by Gov. Charles Robinson. He was twice elected to the same office and then resigned, to resume the practice of his profession. In 1868, he was elected one of the Electors on the Republican State ticket of Kansas, and was selected as the messenger to take the vote of Kansas to Washington. From 1861 to 1864, in addition to attending to the duties of Judge of the District Court, he assisted in editing the Weekly Champion, a newspaper printed and published at Atchison City. On May 26, 1864, he was married at Middletown, N. Y., to Anna Amelia Robertson, daughter of William Wells Robertson and Adeline Sayer. The children born to them since their marriage are as follows: Carrie Robertson, born in Middletown, N. Y., April 22, 1865; Mary Bennett, born in Atchison, Kan., July 12, 1868; Rosa Sayer, born in Atchison Kan., June 2, 1871; Albert Howell, Jr., born in Atchison, Kan., April 1, 1874. In May, 1869, Mr. Horton was appointed by President Grant, U. S. District Attorney for Kansas, and held the office until his resignation on July 18, 1873. In November, 1873, he was elected to the House of Representatives of the Legislature of Kansas, from Atchison City, and in November, 1876, was elected State Senator to represent Atchison County. January 1, 1877, he resigned the office of State Senator to accept the appointment of Chief Justice of Kansas, tendered him by Hon. Thomas A. Osborn, the Governor of the State of Kansas. Under this appointment he held the office of Chief Justice until the regular election in the fall of 1877, when he was elected to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of his predecessor, Hon. Samuel A. Kingman. In November, 1878, he was elected Chief Justice of the State for a full term of six years, and holds that office at this time. At the session of the Kansas Legislature, held in 1879, the Republicans had a large majority of the members, but were unable to agree upon a caucus nominee for the U. S. Senator. His name was presented as one of the Republican candidates to be voted for, and upon the final ballot in the joint convention of the Legislature, he received eighty votes. John J. Ingalls received eighty-six votes, and was declared elected. Three votes were scattering. Mr. Horton has been for years a member of the orders of Free Masons and Knights of Honor. He has also been one of the contributing editors of the Central Law Journal of St. Louis, Mo. ever since his promotion to the supreme bench. He is one of the vestry of Trinity Parish, Atchison, and is also a trustee of Christ's (Episcopal) Hospital at Topeka. He is now in the prime of life, in excellent health, and has before him, in the ordinary course of things, many years of activity and usefulness.
CARL L. HOWE, manager of Kansas Spice Mills, was born in Plattsburg, N. Y., November 6, 1858. Came to Atchison with his parents in 1865, received his education at that city and at Princeton, Ill. In 1878, engaged in business under firm name of Howe Bros., which continued until 1880, when he took present position. Mr. H. is a member of uniform Rank, K. of P.
GEORGE C. HOWE, shipping clerk, came to Kansas in October, 1878, and located in Atchison, where he has lived since. Mr. H. is a member of Castalia Lodge, I. O. G. T. He was born in Underhill, Vt., April 29, 1859, and lived there until he came to Kansas. Mr. Howe believes in the old adage that "a rolling stone gathers no moss. " He is steady, upright and honest, and in business has no superior for his years.
DR. ROBERT D. HUDSON, physician and surgeon, No. 1501 Main street, West Atchison, was formerly from Pennsylvania. Born in Chester County, October 9, 1845; received his literary education in and graduated from the Millersville State Normal School, of Lancaster County, Pa., and was afterwards a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, medical department, at Philadelphia, in March, 1877. Practiced in that State until 1879, when he came to Atchison and operated a drug store on the corner of Main and Liberty streets, which he ran for two years, and at the same time practiced his profession. Dr. Hudson is a thorough scholar and stands high in his profession, ranking among the first physicians in the State. During his short residence in this city he has gained the confidence and respect of the community. He is an active member of the State Medical Society, and also of the Atchison County institution of that name, and a member of the School Board of Atchison City.
WILLIAM J. HULSE, conductor on the C. B. of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, residence 712 Spruce street, between Seventh and Eighth, South Atchison, was born in Weston, Mo., March 7, 1849. Commenced railroading in 1871 with the A. & N. division of the B. & M. R. R. as car inspector of the Atchison yards. This he continued for eight months, and for the next two years was employed in these yards and those of the Missouri Pacific as yard master. He then went to Nebraska and engaged with the B. & M. R. R. as freight conductor, and remained there until the fall of 1876. Came back to Atchison, and for a short time was in company with P. Galbraith, in the farm machinery business, whose daughter Ella, the subject of this sketch subsequently married, in January, 1877. Finding, however, that railroading was his vocation, he commenced it again, this time as yard master; from that to freight conductor on the C. B. of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, but in May, 1881, was promoted to passenger conductor, which position he has since filled. Mr. Hulse is a member of the Golden Cross Lodge, No. 7, of the K. of P.; also of the Conductors' Brotherhood.
CHARLES W. HUMES, head bookkeeper for the Chicago Lumber Co., was born in Madison, Ind., July 3, 1847. He is the son of Wm. P. Humes, contractor and builder, Shelbyville, Ky. After receiving a limited education, he engaged with different merchantile firms, where he gained considerable experience as a bookkeeper. Came to Atchison in the spring of 1879, and was employed by the above firm as a bookkeeper. This he continued for one year, when he returned to his former home at Shelbyville, Ky., remaining until February, 1882. Then came back to Atchison and re-engaged with the same firm, and from the creditable manner in which he performs his duties of said position, he has gained the confidence and respect of his employers. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Howard Lodge, No. 15.
GEORGE W. HUNTER, foreman freight house, A., T. & S. Fe R. R., was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, January 25, 1834. Received his education in the city, finishing at the Cincinnati High School. His father died in 1854, and the family moved to Whiteside County, Ill., where George W. engaged in farming, until 1858, when he took a position as second clerk on a river steamer. Was afterward advanced to first clerk. In 1861 was captured by Rebels in Arkansas; was detained a few months. On being released he returned home and entered Government service on the river for a time. In 1865 he moved to Jefferson County, Kan., and purchased a farm; shortly after, engaged in clerking on the Mississippi River, continuing in this business about three years, with headquarters at St. Joseph. Then returned to Kansas and entered the employ of the A., T. & S. Fe R. R.; was at Topeka a short time only. Then moved to Atchison; was appointed to present position in 1871. Mr. Hunter was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, May, 1868, to Miss Matilda J. Covert, of that city. Mr. H. is a member of the K. of P., and the A. O. U. W.
J. G. HUTCHINSON, proprietor of the Avenue House, was born in Shenandoah County, Va., August 21, 1832. After leaving school, he learned the trade of miller, which he followed in Beverly, Washington Co., from 1856 to 1868; in the latter year settled in Kansas City, Mo., where he engaged in the same business. In 1873 he moved to Atchison, Kas., to take the position of head miller in the Central Mills. In 1879 he was obliged to resign his position on account of ill health. He was married in 1857, in Edenburg, Shenandoah county, Va., to Miss Miley, of that place. They have five children - Lillian (Now Mrs. C. H. McDuff); Virginia (now Mrs. J. Hellener); Lucy, Anna and Joseph Warren. Mr. H. is a prominent member of the Baptist Church.
HON. JOHN J. INGALLS, is a citizen of Kansas since October 4, 1858, and of Atchison for the past twenty-one years, made his first home in the territory in the new town of Sumner, just started a few miles below Atchison. The town proved a failure, town shares in a few years being obtained "without money and without price, and would not command ten dollars a dozen. " So wrote one of the early settlers of Sumner. In the summer of 1859, then less than a year in the Territory, Mr. Ingalls was elected Delegate from Atchison County to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, being at that time in his twenty-sixth year, and, according to the testimony of one present, "a comely youth to look upon," as well as "the recognized scholar of the convention. " In 1860, Mr. Ingalls was Secretary of the Territorial Council; in 1861, Secretary of the State Senate, and in 1862, State Senator from Atchison County. In September, 1863, in company with Albert H. Horton, he leased the Atchison Champion, editing the paper until the return of Col. Martin from the army, January, 1865. He was nominated for Lieutenant Governor by the Republican Union State Convention of 1862-63, and, as the "anti-Lane" candidate, was defeated. He was elected United States Senator to succeed S. C. Pomeroy taking his seat March 4, 1873, and at the expiration of his term of service, was re- elected to the same office, January 21, 1879. Senator Ingalls is the son of Elias Theodore and Eliza Chase Ingalls, and a lineal descendant of Edmund Ingalls, an English Puritan, who with his brother Francis emigrated from Yorkshire in 1628, and the following year founded the town of Lynn, in Massachusetts. He was born in Middletown, Mass., December 29, 1833, graduated at William College, in 1855; studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1857; emigrated to the territory of Kansas a year later, and devoting all his energy of mind and soul to her interests, is now thoroughly identified with the political, juristic and literary history of his adopted State. After locating in Atchison, Mr. Ingalls conscientiously devoted himself to his professional duties, finding meantime recreation and rest for himself, and giving unbounded satisfaction and pleasure to others, by writing occasional articles for publication, which Kansans think of to-day with a feeling of exhilaration. The name of Senator Ingalls is thoroughly identified with the best literature of the State, and his readers will never forget the pleasure derived from his magazine essays and sketches. During the war, Mr. Ingalls was Judge Advocate and Aide with rank of Major to Gen. George W. Deitzler, of the Volunteer State Militia, participating in the battles of Westport, Lexington and Independence, during the Price raid in the fall of 1864. He was married, September 27, 1865, at Atchison, to Anna Louisa, daughter of Hon. Mr. Chesebrough, a prominent merchant of New York City. Mr. Chesebrough removed with his family to Atchison in 1859, residing in that city until his death, which occurred in October, 1864. The children of Senator and Mrs. Ingalls, now living, are Ellsworth, Ethel, Ralph, Sheffield, Constance, Marion and Muriel.
SAMUEL IRVIN, Assistant Superintendent of the car department of the Missouri Pacific R. R. Shops, residence corner of Seventh street and Kansas avenue, was born March 26, 1846, near Toronto, Canada. Learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and in 1866, entered the car shops of the Michigan Central R. R. at Detroit, Mich., in that capacity. At the expiration of three years, he engaged with Woodard & Co., at St. Louis, Mo., then went to Fort Buford, Montana, where he was in the service of the Government, erecting forts in Government quarters, on the plains and in the mountains. After working one year at this, he returned to Detroit, Mich. and engaged in the Detroit Car Manufacturing Company for five years, and after it was changed to the Pullman Car Company, he still remained with them, and for the last five years was delivering messenger of rolling stock. In 1876, he was sent to Philadelphia with two cars for exhibition at the Centennial Exposition. In 1878, Mr. Irvin came to St. Louis, Mo., as agent for the company, where he had general supervision of all their rolling stock in the St. Louis Division. Here he remained until November, 1880, when he came to Atchison and assumed his present position with the Missouri Pacific R. R. Company. He has the supervision of 100 men and the repair of all cars west of Leavenworth. Mr. Irvin is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and Washington Chapter, Washington Commander, Knights Templar, No. 1., and also K. of H., 1284, of Atchison. His wife was formerly Miss Katie D. Esterling. They were married in Detroit, Mich., in 1868.
RICHARD A. IVERS, messenger for the United States Express Company, on the C. R. I. & P. R. R., residence South Fourth street between S. and T. The subject of this sketch was originally from Louisiana, born Nov. 11, 1834. He commenced the express business as early as 1856, his first employment in that line being with the old Richardson Express Company, on the Missouri River Steamboat Line. This he continued one year, then engaged with the United States Express Company, running from Jefferson City to St. Joseph on the boat in the summer and the Stage Line during the winter. At the breaking out of the war, Mr. Ivers was sent by Supt. J. W. Parker, in the summer of 1860, to close all express offices on the Stage Line, between Kansas City and Sedalia, and on the river between the former place and Jefferson City, all of which remained closed until the fall of '61. He then traveled for this company on the Missouri Pacific R. R. until the spring of 1863, when he left their employment and organized what was then known as Parker's Express Company. In 1865, Mr. Ivers returned to St. Louis and re-engaged with the United States Express Company, and June 8, of 1868, while running as messenger on the Missouri Pacific R. R. was robbed of $25,000, by three men, one of them engineer for the same road. The subject of this sketch was chloroformed while the robbery was committed, but six days after he started in pursuit of them, finally succeeding in capturing one of the party. By the infliction of various punishments he was made to tell who the others were, and where the money was, and Mr. Ivers succeeded in getting all the money stolen, (with the exception of ten dollars), which was all delivered safely to the company. Resuming his position, he was in 1867, promoted to general route agent for Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska, filling this situation with credit to himself and his employers until 1880, when he was put in his present office. Mr. Ivers is the oldest employed expressman in Missouri, Kansas or Nebraska, and holds membership in the Expressmans' Mutual Benefit Association. He was married in December, 1856, at Jefferson City, Mo., to Miss Elizabeth Callahan.